PDA

View Full Version : SCSU switches field from grass to turf

bosshogg
March 23rd, 2006, 07:27 AM
Grass today, turf tomorrow

S.C. State plans switch to synthetic playing field

By GENE CRIDER, T&D City Editor
Thursday, March 23, 2006

With too many people playing too many sports at Oliver C. Dawson Bulldog Stadium, the grass is being worn out, South Carolina State University officials say. The university is replacing the grass with synthetic turf.

While natural grass is the preferred playing surface, the new style of artificial turf will allow the stadium to be used more with less maintenance, said John Smalls, SCSU senior vice president for financial affairs. The university is estimating the cost at $552,000.

“It’s something the university will eventually have to do, unless we get more fields,” Smalls said.

The SCSU Board of Trustees Executive Committee voted unanimously for the change Wednesday, after hearing university officials discuss their problems with the natural grass on the field now. The university is planning to place the new turf down before the start of next fall’s football season.

Bulldog Stadium’s field is being worn out by too many sports, with both soccer and football teams sharing the field, school officials say.

Smalls says it has become increasingly difficult to maintain the field to NCAA standards.

The university has five fields on campus, which officials say doesn’t give it the space it needs to rotate sports to different surfaces to prevent wear on the grass. Smalls said studies suggest field usage can be increased by a factor of three when grass is replaced with synthetic turf.

Athletics Director Charlene Johnson said that with synthetic turf, “soccer as well as football can say they have a home.”

Artificial turf can be used more frequently than grass fields without the wear, Smalls said. The change may allow them to rent the stadium out more frequently. The $3,000 to $5,000 the university charges to use the field could be used to help pay for the new turf, Smalls said.

It can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 to maintain an athletics field in good condition, Smalls said. The university now spends about $45,000 a year to maintain the grass at Bulldog Stadium. Smalls estimates the cost of maintaining the synthetic turf at about $4,000 a year.

“This type of turf will benefit our university because it can be used regularly with little maintenance,” Smalls said. The synthetic turf will have to be vacuumed occasionally and washed during dry spells.

Smalls also said the turf is environmentally friendly because it is made from recycled tires and does not require the use of herbicides and pesticides.

“We really didn’t see any negatives,” Smalls said.

Other institutions that have made the switch are happy with it, Smalls said. He quoted a Western Carolina University official as saying, “We could not have made a better decision” and a Howard University official said, “Synthetic turf is the only way to go.”

And Smalls said, “It’s not like the old turf they used to have. ... They have totally redesigned it.”

Synthetic turf is estimated to last 20 years. Smalls said the cost of the switch could be made up in 10 to 12 years.

The university has yet to decide how it will pay for the change. Smalls is expected to present the board with a plan in April.

Options include placing the project in the university’s deferred maintenance budget.

The university sets aside money left at the end of the fiscal year for deferred maintenance. The university could also set aside a portion of any tuition and fee increases for the change.

Trustee Martha Smith said the university will have to be very clear why it needs a half-million dollar project, and said she wants to ensure the university has no more pressing issues to take care of ahead of the synthetic turf

AppGuy04
March 23rd, 2006, 07:42 AM
1/2 mill, damn that stuff ain't cheap

89Hen
March 23rd, 2006, 09:01 AM
The university is estimating the cost at $552,000.... The synthetic turf will have to be vacuumed occasionally and washed during dry spells... a Howard University official said, “Synthetic turf is the only way to go.”
Hogg, I'm a little concerned that it sounds like you are not getting the sprint-turf or field-turf that everyone else is putting in and instead are getting an updated form of astroturf. WCU and Howard put their artificial turf in before the sprint or field turf became the new standard. SCSU would be making a mistake IMO if they in fact aren't putting in the better field.

bosshogg
March 23rd, 2006, 09:23 AM
Hogg, I'm a little concerned that it sounds like you are not getting the sprint-turf or field-turf that everyone else is putting in and instead are getting an updated form of astroturf. WCU and Howard put their artificial turf in before the sprint or field turf became the new standard. SCSU would be making a mistake IMO if they in fact aren't putting in the better field.

I hope its the newer turf as well

AppGuy04
March 23rd, 2006, 09:31 AM
Even the updated version of astroturf still hurts like a BIA

Coastal89
March 23rd, 2006, 10:16 AM
Southern Illinois paid about $580,000 on AstroPlay according to Kowalczyk.

Mike Gruppe of Quest Turf in Muncie, Ind., which is the regional contact for Field Turf, said that it would cost about $700,000 to install Field Turf at O'Brien Stadium. Covering a surface of about 1,000 square feet, Field Turf would cost $700 per square foot.

I got that quote from a 2002 article about SIU.

Looking at those figures i'd say SCSU is looking at Astroplay as thier only option.

89Hen
March 23rd, 2006, 10:34 AM
Correct Coastal, that's what I was thinking when I posted the $ they were budgeting. Furthmore, you can't vacuum sprint turf, or you'll suck up all the little rubber pellets they put in the field.

Retro
March 23rd, 2006, 12:12 PM
Mcneese has discussed getting the new sprint turf and had a donor for the cost of it, however the total cost to prepare the ground for it exceeded 1 million because of the depth of the field. Once we get the money raised for the new fieldhouse, this is likely the next step.

walliver
March 23rd, 2006, 12:27 PM
I think it is a shame they are switching. I attended the Wofford-SC State game in 2004, and was quite impressed with the quality of the grass (Of course that was early in the season before a lot of wear and tear had taken place. How much would it cost to build a soccer field?

On the other hand, if Wofford is going to allow high school games to be played the night prior to Wofford home games, we may need to switch surfaces at some point. But, I still believe that "Thou shalt play thy football only on grass". I think it was one of the 5 commandments Moses dropped in "History of the World, Part 1".

elkmcc
March 23rd, 2006, 08:18 PM
Southern Illinois paid about $580,000 on AstroPlay according to Kowalczyk.

Mike Gruppe of Quest Turf in Muncie, Ind., which is the regional contact for Field Turf, said that it would cost about $700,000 to install Field Turf at O'Brien Stadium. Covering a surface of about 1,000 square feet, Field Turf would cost $700 per square foot.
I got that quote from a 2002 article about SIU.

Looking at those figures i'd say SCSU is looking at Astroplay as thier only option.

There is something wrong with that quote. The basement in my home has more than 1000 sq. feet. Consider:
• The playing field is 100 yards long.
• On each end of the playing field is an end zone which extends ten yards.
• The total field is 360 feet long and 160 feet wide. 360x160 = 57,600 sq. feet

I think the Griz paid ~ $800,000.00 for "sprinturf". Even at that $14/sqft is pretty pricey carpet. I don't think even the military would pay $700.00 per sq.ft for a floor covering.

SUjagTILLiDIE
March 23rd, 2006, 10:18 PM
Once we get the money raised for the new fieldhouse, this is likely the next step.
How is the fundraising going.

Tod
March 23rd, 2006, 10:25 PM
There is something wrong with that quote. The basement in my home has more than 1000 sq. feet. Consider:
• The playing field is 100 yards long.
• On each end of the playing field is an end zone which extends ten yards.
• The total field is 360 feet long and 160 feet wide. 360x160 = 57,600 sq. feet

I think the Griz paid ~ $800,000.00 for "sprinturf". Even at that $14/sqft is pretty pricey carpet. I don't think even the military would pay $700.00 per sq.ft for a floor covering.

Costs the Air Force about that much to carpet "bomb", but not to carpet anything else (maybe the cockpit of a B-2). ;)

I thought the cost for the SprinTurf was $750,000, but your point is still made. Maybe $13 per square foot?

elkmcc
March 24th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Costs the Air Force about that much to carpet "bomb", but not to carpet anything else (maybe the cockpit of a B-2). ;)

I thought the cost for the SprinTurf was $750,000, but your point is still made. Maybe $13 per square foot?

I knew that they had about a $1,000,000.00 donation from an "anonomous" donor and that amount represented enough to cover the cost of the turf and the amount needed to install permanant lighting around the stadium. I wonder what happened to the rest of the money? Will Wa/Griz ever see lights in the stadium?

Retro
March 24th, 2006, 01:57 PM
How is the fundraising going.

Right Now, most of the money that has been raised for the fieldhouse has come from yearly events like the Golf Tournament, etc., but in a couple of months they will officially launch the campaign for the new fieldhouse with a press conference, etc.. There will be website for it also, which i am working on and paying for to get the word out..