PDA

View Full Version : Albany Announces First Scholly Recruiting Class

TexasTerror
March 23rd, 2006, 07:13 AM
Albany finally has scholarships! Of course, this is all part of the Northeast Conference, which starting last November allowed its members to give up to 30 scholarships. So, this is big news for the Great Danes and the rest of the conference. They even got a Texas boy to go all the way up to Albany, NY.

UALBANY FOOTBALL RECEIVES COMMITMENTS FROM 25 STUDENT-ATHLETES FOR 2006

Albany, N.Y. – University at Albany head football coach Bob Ford announced on Wednesday, March 22 that 25 student-athletes have signed commitments to play for the Great Danes in the 2006-07 academic year. UAlbany won five of its last six games last season to finish in a tie for third place in the Northeast Conference standings.

The 2006 signing class is comprised of 10 players from the state of New York and eight from New Jersey, plus three from Florida, and one each from Georgia, Texas, Rhode Island and Ohio. The breakdown by position includes one quarterback, three offensive linemen, three wide receivers, four running backs, one tight end, six linebackers, three defensive linemen, three defensive backs and one kicker.

"We were able to attract a good bunch of players," said UAlbany's Bob Ford, who is second among active Division I-AA coaches with 210 career victories. "We addressed our needs at linebacker and cornerback, plus picked up a group of capable tailbacks, three good wideouts and some solid offensive linemen. Now that the program is able to offer scholarships, we can spread ourselves into bigger and better high school football hotbeds and take another step up in terms of the people we can talk to."

The Great Danes landed five all-state players from New York, including running back Colin Simmons, the Syracuse Post-Standard's Co-Player of the Year. Simmons, who rushed for 1,384 yards as a senior, was a Class AA second-team all-state selection by the New York Sportswriters Association. Defensive lineman Trevor Anderson and offensive lineman Matthew Faughnan were members of the Class B first team. Wide receiver Jason Poore earned Class C first-team recognition after hauling in 40 passes for 561 yards and eight touchdowns. Linebacker Chris Simpson, an All-Finger Lakes and Messenger Post all-star, made the Class A third team.

http://www.albany.edu/sports/stories.htm#ftb_2006recruits

UAalum72
March 23rd, 2006, 07:34 AM
A news story today says Albany used eight scholarships and spread them out to 22 of the 25 recruits. I knew you could give partials, I didn't know a partial could be split three ways. Also don't know if 22 is the number that goes against the league limit of 30 counters.
http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=463838&category=SPORTS&newsdate=3/23/2006

colgate13
March 23rd, 2006, 10:14 AM
A news story today says Albany used eight scholarships and spread them out to 22 of the 25 recruits. I knew you could give partials, I didn't know a partial could be split three ways. Also don't know if 22 is the number that goes against the league limit of 30 counters.
http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=463838&category=SPORTS&newsdate=3/23/2006

You could slice up a full scholarship any number of ways you want. You could give 10% to 10 players if you like.

The number that goes against the league limit would be the 8 figure. The league limit, I believe, is 30 total, 10 max per year.

Simmons was on our radar screen but from what I hear we couldn't admit. There is another player on there that I believe chose UA over Colgate just for the money - which goes to support what you are trying to do over there. I'm not worried though - it's just one extra push in the right direction for us.

Good luck with your class! And we'll see them first hand in two years! :nod:

Ronbo
March 23rd, 2006, 01:25 PM
Montana gives out lot's of partials to our in-state kids. We only give full schollies to 2-3 Montana kids a year. We probably have 85 players on scholarship with about half on 1/2's.