PDA

View Full Version : CSN Announces 2011 Preseason Top 25

CSN-info
August 2nd, 2011, 03:34 AM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=574&d=1264771706
College Sporting News

Two Southern Conference teams with a total of nine NCAA Division I football titles between them have been named as the teams to beat in the 2011 College Sporting News Football Championship Subdivision Preseason Top 25 poll. CSN is the oldest and largest news service organization devoted solely to the FCS.

Appalachian State, the winner of three consecutive national championships from 2005-07 and coming off two quarterfinal appearances and one semifinal finish in the past three years, is ranked No. 1 in 2011 in a poll conducted by the staff of CSN.

Finishing a close second to the Mountaineers is the resurgent Georgia Southern program, which advanced to the semifinals last season after missing the playoffs in the previous four years. The Eagles have won a record six FCS crowns, but none since 2000.

If the 2010 season showed the parity in the FCS, with Eastern Washington making a surprise run to the national championship, expect more of the same during 2011.

While some of the traditional FCS powers will be in the fight for a national championship this season, the battle for the top prize should once again be wide open.

More... (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?511-CSN-Announces-2011-Preseason-Top-25-Ranking)

Tribe4SF
August 2nd, 2011, 06:04 AM
Now there's a shock. Article with DC's name on it ranks App. St. as #1.:D

Villanova again gets solid respect here with so many questions going into the year.

UNH Fanboi
August 2nd, 2011, 06:04 AM
Looks pretty reasonable, but Villanova is way too high

bleedblue
August 2nd, 2011, 06:49 AM
Delaware, GSU and Nova all to high. EWU to low.

Gil Dobie
August 2nd, 2011, 06:52 AM
I would like to see Lehigh a little higher

HailSzczur
August 2nd, 2011, 07:13 AM
Wow, I would have been happy just to be listed in the Top 25. 11 is far to high. I think best case scenario, all the new guys step up and everyone is clicking and firing on all cylinders we will end up there, but theres no way we should be starting there. WAY to many question marks going into the season for us to be a top 15 team. I mean, I havent the slightest idea who our QB even is, or even whose is competing for it. Thats how much retooling we're doing. I guess some of it is based on last years finish?

Tribe4SF
August 2nd, 2011, 07:32 AM
Wow, I would have been happy just to be listed in the Top 25. 11 is far to high. I think best case scenario, all the new guys step up and everyone is clicking and firing on all cylinders we will end up there, but theres no way we should be starting there. WAY to many question marks going into the season for us to be a top 15 team. I mean, I havent the slightest idea who our QB even is, or even whose is competing for it. Thats how much retooling we're doing. I guess some of it is based on last years finish?

Yeah, pretty obvious the run of the last few years is still on people's minds. Beyond QB, didn't you guys lose Ekweozor to a knee injury after spring? Awfully thin on the OL. Talley's made it clear that a number of freshmen are going to have to play important roles.

bluehenbillk
August 2nd, 2011, 07:33 AM
Two questions: 1- Who the hell votes in this poll - the article makes no mention of it whatsoever & you can't tell by the poll even how many people would vote. 2- Villanova?? This is a 2011 poll guys, 2011.

asumike83
August 2nd, 2011, 07:45 AM
We've got way too many question marks to start the season #1. New defensive scheme, the loss of 2 All-Americans on defense, as well as losing 2 experienced receivers to compliment Brian Quick and the anchor of our O-Line will hurt. The talent is there to be at the top in December, but it's young talent that will need to come together.

Tribe4SF
August 2nd, 2011, 07:46 AM
Two questions: 1- Who the hell votes in this poll - the article makes no mention of it whatsoever & you can't tell by the poll even how many people would vote. 2- Villanova?? This is a 2011 poll guys, 2011.

Article says it is a poll of CSN staff.

LeadBolt
August 2nd, 2011, 09:33 AM

I agree, this seems to be a continuation of 2010 poll.... xeyebrowx

lsu2469
August 2nd, 2011, 10:09 AM
Yeah, pretty obvious the run of the last few years is still on people's minds. Beyond QB, didn't you guys lose Ekweozor to a knee injury after spring? Awfully thin on the OL. Talley's made it clear that a number of freshmen are going to have to play important roles.

On the OL they have Junior Dan Shirey back at Center, he has played since his freshman year. Bucci is also returning, played most of last year at right guard. Not sure of the kids name but they picked a Junior transfer out of small Nebraska school (division 2 or 3 that stopped football). They also have Ross Hall, red shirted last year with a broken foot. He looked good in spring ball. They have a couple incoming freshmen hopefully they can step up. I think once they figure out who is playing each spot they will be fine. 2012 shoud be even better with no senoir linemen this year.

Skjellyfetti
August 2nd, 2011, 10:16 AM
Been said before... but, we have far too many question marks to be preseason #1.

slostang
August 2nd, 2011, 10:19 AM
They have McNeese State rated at #13 and Cal Poly not even receiving votes. I have a ton of respect for McNeese State and think they are a top program. I do not know how you could have McNeese State ranked and Cal Poly unranked. Cal Poly beat them on the road 40-14 last year. Cal Poly returns 9 starters on offense and 8 on defense. Cal Poly also beat #19 Montana last season and Cal Poly returns more starters than Montana while the Griz will breaking in a new QB. I feel both McNeese State and Montana should be ranked, but if they are ranked I also feel that Cal Poly should be ranked.

SideLine Shooter
August 2nd, 2011, 10:24 AM
Been said before... but, we have far too many question marks to be preseason #1.

That is exactly what I love about Pre Season Polls. They don't mean CRAP!!!

GlassOnion
August 2nd, 2011, 10:27 AM
No way App should be #1. We lost 4 NFL players in one season. Kilgore, Legree, Smith, and now Fletcher. How can we possibly replace that production in one season? We've also lost our returning leading tackler to injury.

3 out of 5 OL, gone, All but 1 starting WR, 2 of 3 starting LBs gone, and an NFL safety gone. Our defense has some huge obstacles to overcome, and our offense has some question marks.

Umass74
August 2nd, 2011, 10:48 AM
UMass not even receiving "others receiving votes"??? We were 5th in the CAA coaches poll. UMass should be in the 20-25th range.

biggie
August 2nd, 2011, 10:53 AM
That is exactly what I love about Pre Season Polls. They don't mean CRAP!!!
Unless you are in FBS.

But agree 1 is too high for us.

eiu1999
August 2nd, 2011, 11:02 AM
Surprised Murray State got votes and not SEMO or EKU.

NHwildEcat
August 2nd, 2011, 11:19 AM
UMass not even receiving "others receiving votes"??? We were 5th in the CAA coaches poll. UMass should be in the 20-25th range.

Does it really matter though? You guys are ineligible for everything...why not the polls too?

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 2nd, 2011, 11:20 AM
I would like to see Lehigh a little higher

#16 seems reasonable. They have two early tests with Liberty and UNH. If they go 1-1 they'll prove to be pretty good, 2-0 and things could get real interesting.

TwoFeathers
August 2nd, 2011, 11:28 AM
Wow, Eastern Washington gets no respect. And what's up with Delaware placing at #3 after losing Devlin? Not sure if I'd put them in the top 10 preseason. IMO

UNI Pike
August 2nd, 2011, 11:32 AM
UNI's ranking all hinges on Terrel Rennie's arm. In 2-3 possessions, we should have an idea how the season will progress. I would be more comfortable with a 10-12 ranking at this point.

bojeta
August 2nd, 2011, 12:13 PM
One has to wonder. Some of these teams ranked are clearly weaker than last year. Cal Poly looks stronger than last year and yet they're not even ranked. Yep, pre-season polls are a joke.

Running various searches, Cal Poly comes in as high as 11 in one poll, 20 in the AGS poll and if you look at the Sports Network week 1 match ups, they show Cal Poly ranked 24. There is little consistency in anything I see as yet. We're definitely going to have to wait until at least week 2 until the polls come close to making sense. WAIT! With all those early FBS games, we'll need to wait until at least week 4!!!

mocman1990
August 2nd, 2011, 01:27 PM
UTC almost made the top 25. I am cool with that, gotta prove it on the field.

WMTribe90
August 2nd, 2011, 01:36 PM
Looks pretty reasonable, but Villanova is way too high

Villanova beat ASU at the Rock during the playoffs, so obviously the mere residue of the win propels them into to the top 25 in DC's estimation.

Jacked_Rabbit
August 2nd, 2011, 01:38 PM
Western Illinois is ranked 21st here, although they were just picked to finish 7th in the MVFC's Preseason Media Poll... As others have stated, the 2010 poll must have just been copied and pasted, with a few minor adjustments.

Mountaineer
August 2nd, 2011, 01:40 PM
Whoa, I guess CSN didn't get the memo about all the losses for App. It's a miracle we're even fielding a team this year. A tough road lies ahead. Might only win a few games. I'd be much more comfortable if the ranking was in the 15-20 range.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/712/sandbags2u.jpg

Tribe4SF
August 2nd, 2011, 02:26 PM
Whoa, I guess CSN didn't get the memo about all the losses for App. It's a miracle we're even fielding a team this year. A tough road lies ahead. Might only win a few games. I'd be much more comfortable if the ranking was in the 15-20 range.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/712/sandbags2u.jpg

Hey, that's your boy there at CSN, and nobody ever accused him of sandbagging.

Mountaineer
August 2nd, 2011, 02:42 PM
..and nobody ever accused him of sandbagging.

He's behind the times - it's the "in" thing this year when it comes to App.

Now, if you'll excuse me, time to continue pounding furiously on the panic button. xwhistlex

Mikeyosef
August 2nd, 2011, 04:06 PM
No. 1, NO way. It's been said over and over, we lost too many key players and are rolling out a new defense. We have probably have the talent to be the number team but not the experience.

seantaylor
August 2nd, 2011, 05:12 PM
Coulson. What a dbag of the highest order

DJKyR0
August 2nd, 2011, 06:08 PM
NDSU at 10 sounds about right. Ton of youth on the team last year that got some valuable postseason experience and the passing game should trend upward with the injection of skilled receivers.

jmufan999
August 2nd, 2011, 08:19 PM
No. 1, NO way. It's been said over and over, we lost too many key players and are rolling out a new defense. We have probably have the talent to be the number team but not the experience.

Voting you guys #1 is like voting Florida #1 in FBS... very safe. Until you guys have a bad season, I have no problem putting you all #1. It's a safe, smart bet.

Coulson. What a dbag of the highest order

This is also true. It's going to seem like I'm contradicting my previous statement because he's such an App State homer, but he is a total dbag.