Pages : [1] 2

tarmac
August 1st, 2011, 05:48 PM
http://www2.wataugademocrat.com/News/sto...-id-005796

Originally published: 2011-08-01 07:56:05
Last modified: 2011-08-01 14:50:26
ASU leader addresses FBS move

by Lauren K. Ohnesorge
A recommendation on whether Appalachian State’s football program should move to the top level of Division I could finally be forthcoming, Chancellor Kenneth Peacock said Friday.

Peacock spoke at “Wake-up Watauga,” a live radio broadcast put on by the Boone Area Chamber of Commerce at Dan’l Boone Inn, aimed at connecting Boone business professionals.

A repositioning study announced mid-May that its decision would be delayed. Friday, Peacock said the committee plans to meet Thursday.

“There’s not a consensus as to where they’re going at this point or where their recommendation might be,” he said.

When asked for his personal opinion on moving to the Football Bowl Subdivision, Peacock was hesitant to say Appalachian State had overgrown the Southern Conference.

“You want people to come to the game because they’re excited about the game and who we’re playing,” he said.

Appalachian State must be accepted into an FBS conference before making any move.

Moving to Conference USA would provide possible home games against East Carolina and Marshall.

Another possibility that’s been mentioned is moving into the Sun Belt Conference. However, any conference would have to extend an invitation before Appalachian State could join.

“Just the fact that Appalachian is playing a Virginia Tech that we know and all have real respect for, and then we come back and you play (North Carolina) A&T and Savannah State,” Peacock said. “I’m not putting those down, but you begin to think, is this the right group from an Appalachian perspective?”

But there are monetary concerns to consider. Budget cuts have left a $23 million sting on university funding. While the athletic program does not receive state funds or funding from tuition, it does receive a student athletic fee of $319.50 per semester from fulltime students.

There are also fees connected to leaving the Southern Conference. Should Appalachian State leave the SoCon with less than a year’s notice, a $300,000 fee would be charged to the ASU athletic department. If there is more than a year’s notice, the fee drops to $150,000.

Both fees were increased during the SoCon’s spring meetings in May.

“If you look at this, you begin to think it couldn’t happen at a more awful time,” he said.

Currently in the Football Championship Subdivision, Appalachian is allowed 63 scholarships. FBS schools are allowed 85, and the money would have to come from somewhere, such as conference television revenues or increased donations.

Other funding issues, such as Title IX concerns, would have to be addressed. NCAA rules regulate at least 16 sports present at its institutions.

Peacock also wants to ensure that focus stays on academics, a concern coming out of recent NCAA infractions. Peacock joins 40 other university officials in Indianapolis this year to discuss the future direction of the NCAA.

“Most of the young people that come to Appalachian, they’re not going to be heading out to professional sports,” he said.

Couple those concerns with increased traffic congestion, and it’s a decision that would impact the community as a whole, he said.

Boone Area Chamber of Commerce President Dan Meyer looks forward to hearing the recommendation.
“We appreciate that area businesses were in on the decision,” he said. “They are part of the committee.”

Boone Mayor Loretta Clawson joined his optimism.

“I’m just learning about it and I’m hoping they’ll do the very best for the university,” she said.

chattownmocs
August 1st, 2011, 06:02 PM
They better do something and do it quick because that program is slowly dying and will soon lose the tiny bit of appeal it currently has.

Saint3333
August 1st, 2011, 06:40 PM
Your signatures still wrong, run along now grownups are talking.

citdog
August 1st, 2011, 06:43 PM
Make a ****ing decision already. If I was the pres of NC A@T I'd punch that queer peacock right in the face. Comparing appy to VPI is the funniest thing I have heard lately.

chattownmocs
August 1st, 2011, 07:22 PM
No it remains correct, despite the feeble attempts to dissprove it by a couple idiots who have no clue what the history of this conference is.

gophoenix
August 1st, 2011, 08:26 PM
I noticed that the fees were raised in the spring and App fans are complaining about that. 300k with less than a year and 150k for more than a year. I am surprised that they are so low still. The Big South exist fee is 250k for more than a year and 500k for less than a year. The SoCon entrance fee alone is 250k. Seems like the exist fees are light to me when comparing to a what's considered a lesser conference.

Horseshoe App
August 1st, 2011, 08:27 PM
Make a ****ing decision already. If I was the pres of NC A@T I'd punch that queer peacock right in the face. Comparing appy to VPI is the funniest thing I have heard lately.

I have to agree with Citdog here. You need to know when to shut up and those were inappropriate comments by Peacock. I love his enthusiasm, but sometimes it is better to leave words unsaid.

If only Chattownmocs could figure that out as well, people might enjoy his posts.

dgtw
August 1st, 2011, 08:30 PM
I noticed that the fees were raised in the spring and App fans are complaining about that. 300k with less than a year and 150k for more than a year. I am surprised that they are so low still. The Big South exist fee is 250k for more than a year and 500k for less than a year. The SoCon entrance fee alone is 250k. Seems like the exist fees are light to me when comparing to a what's considered a lesser conference.

That's a lot of money to pay just to exist.

ninerID
August 1st, 2011, 08:33 PM
The decision to leave isn't really Appalachian's to make.

TexasTerror
August 1st, 2011, 08:33 PM
Appalachian State students are dishing out about $700 a year for athletics? If I read that right, based on the $350 per semester.

That's pretty substantial for an FCS institution - regardless of its stature in the world of football at this level.

AppStsGr8
August 1st, 2011, 08:57 PM
That student athletic fee covers far more than varsity sports. As I would imagine is the case with most schools, the fee covers intramurals and student rec facilities programming as well. The student rec facilities at App are quite nice and are available to all full-time students.

49RFootballNow
August 1st, 2011, 09:03 PM
Did Peacock say Sun Belt? xeyebrowx

GlassOnion
August 1st, 2011, 09:04 PM
Did Peacock say Sun Belt? xeyebrowx

No. The reporter said sunbelt.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 1st, 2011, 09:08 PM
That student athletic fee covers far more than varsity sports. As I would imagine is the case with most schools, the fee covers intramurals and student rec facilities programming as well. The student rec facilities at App are quite nice and are available to all full-time students.

As you say that is how it is at most schools I think so the comparison is apples/apples and that is a pretty healty fee I hink. I can't say for sure but I think UM's is about 1/2 that.

gophoenix
August 1st, 2011, 09:12 PM
The decision to leave isn't really Appalachian's to make.

Sure it is. It is completely App's decision to leave. The conference sure isn't going to kick them out, that would be a bonehead move. App could leave for any number of possibilities. So yes, leaving would be their decision.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 1st, 2011, 09:13 PM
I have to agree with Citdog here. You need to know when to shut up and those were inappropriate comments by Peacock. I love his enthusiasm, but sometimes it is better to leave words unsaid.

If only Chattownmocs could figure that out as well, people might enjoy his posts.

Totally agree with both of you Horseshoe. In reality App is akin to NC A&T where VT is concerned and I doubt you'd see someone at VT making that comparison...publicly anyway.

gophoenix
August 1st, 2011, 09:14 PM

I think that is the sentiment lots of people have. And that was an unnecessary jab at A&T and Sav St. Especially since not that long ago, A&T had an FBS plan themselves.

91Niner
August 1st, 2011, 09:21 PM
Sure it is. It is completely App's decision to leave. The conference sure isn't going to kick them out, that would be a bonehead move. App could leave for any number of possibilities. So yes, leaving would be their decision.

Did you read the part that states you have to get an invite from a FBS conference to move into FBS?

GlassOnion
August 1st, 2011, 09:24 PM
Did you read the part that states you have to get an invite from a FBS conference to move into FBS?

GP doesnt let facts get in the way.

GlassOnion
August 1st, 2011, 09:25 PM
As you say that is how it is at most schools I think so the comparison is apples/apples and that is a pretty healty fee I hink. I can't say for sure but I think UM's is about 1/2 that.

Does UM recieve state money for athletics? App doesnt.

dgtw
August 1st, 2011, 09:25 PM
I understand his point, but there was a better way to put it without insulting anybody.

gophoenix
August 1st, 2011, 09:29 PM

Leaving and Leaving for FBS are not equivalent statements. You said leaving isn't their decision. That's incorrect. Going FBS isn't completely their decision. But in reality, going FBS is their decision if they have an invitation.

gophoenix
August 1st, 2011, 09:31 PM

Are you telling me that no public funds go to facilities, salaries of state employees or anything remotely associated with the athletics department? Are you telling me that none of the Athletics Department is funded by any means outside of donations or the student fee?

91Niner
August 1st, 2011, 09:31 PM
Leaving and Leaving for FBS are not equivalent statements. You said leaving isn't their decision, not going to FBS isn't their decision.

Yes, I'm sure that is what you meant........

gophoenix
August 1st, 2011, 09:35 PM
Yes, I'm sure that is what you meant........

Mature.

Maybe you should get a football team before talking more about football?

Mountaineer
August 1st, 2011, 09:37 PM
Chancellor Peacock, the social assassin. xlolx

I love that guy and wouldn't trade him for anything. xbowx

GlassOnion
August 1st, 2011, 09:49 PM
Are you telling me that no public funds go to facilities, salaries of state employees or anything remotely associated with the athletics department? Are you telling me that none of the Athletics Department is funded by any means outside of donations or the student fee?

ASU athletics is funded by ticket revenue, money games ie VT, Yosef Club donations, business sponsors, and student fees. About $13 million all told. The only way UNC system money can be used in a sports facility is if that same facility is used for academic purposes. In that case, it may use money proportionate to its academic use.

And if you had read the article, "the athletic program does not receive state funds or funding from tuition..."

whoanellie
August 1st, 2011, 09:57 PM
the problem is that no FBS Conference wants ASU. They have sent out all types of hints and The MAC took U-Mass. The Big East is not motivated. So is the SunBelt or they have not shown their interest. It is really quite a shame that the App Brand is not appreciated by others outside whatever hollar & vail they claim. Then again
the are in the Boonedocks. and not in Cullowee.

GlassOnion
August 1st, 2011, 10:02 PM
the problem is that no FBS Conference wants ASU. They have sent out all types of hints and The MAC took U-Mass. The Big East is not motivated. So is the SunBelt or they have not shown their interest. It is really quite a shame that the App Brand is not appreciated by others outside whatever hollar & vail they claim. Then again

Another incoherent rant from the jealous.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 1st, 2011, 10:08 PM

There was a report a couple months back on this and I know Montana was extremely low compared to most Universities as far as public money. I can not remember where App was for sure but I bet someone will know where to find that info. quickly.

gophoenix
August 1st, 2011, 10:18 PM

That's not exactly clear. Maybe an FBS conference does, no one knows what happens behind closed doors. For all anyone knows a time frame may be set that hasn't been publicized. No one really knows.

gophoenix
August 1st, 2011, 10:21 PM
ASU athletics is funded by ticket revenue, money games ie VT, Yosef Club donations, business sponsors, and student fees. About $13 million all told. The only way UNC system money can be used in a sports facility is if that same facility is used for academic purposes. In that case, it may use money proportionate to its academic use.

And if you had read the article, "the athletic program does not receive state funds or funding from tuition..."

I understand what the article says. I also know that what articles state vs reality are technically different. And, like above, there are many creative ways to get the state to fund something that is primarily used by athletics even if it is only used by the academic side occasionally.

So, I reiterate the question. Are you telling me that the entire athletics program (all teams), facilities and staff are fully funded by money games, donations, sponsors and student fees? And if so, is this a UNC system mandate or something that is only true at App?

I am asking serious questions, nothing here is tongue in cheek, I am seriously curious.

GlassOnion
August 1st, 2011, 10:24 PM
I understand what the article says. I also know that what articles state vs reality are technically different. And, like above, there are many creative ways to get the state to fund something that is primarily used by athletics even if it is only used by the academic side occasionally.

So, I reiterate the question. Are you telling me that the entire athletics program (all teams), facilities and staff are fully funded by money games, donations, sponsors and student fees? And if so, is this a UNC system mandate or something that is only true at App?

I am asking serious questions, nothing here is tongue in cheek, I am seriously curious.

" No funds appropriated by the General Assembly are used to support Athletics. As is the case for most of the intercollegiate athletics programs within the UNC system, the student athletics fee funds a significant portion of these activities. One of the University’s goals is to increase the proportion of the athletics budget funded by ticket sales, other revenues and gifts by alumni and friends of UNCG."

From the official UNCG site. Here is the address, and it is under the "How does the University use student fees to support athletics and other student programs?" heading.

http://budgetcentral.uncg.edu/faq-general/

gophoenix
August 1st, 2011, 10:32 PM
" No funds appropriated by the General Assembly are used to support Athletics. As is the case for most of the intercollegiate athletics programs within the UNC system, the student athletics fee funds a significant portion of these activities. One of the University’s goals is to increase the proportion of the athletics budget funded by ticket sales, other revenues and gifts by alumni and friends of UNCG."

From the official UNCG site. Here is the address, and it is under the "How does the University use student fees to support athletics and other student programs?" heading.

http://budgetcentral.uncg.edu/faq-general/

Do you know what "most other institutions" means? Which school does it not apply to? I think it's a good idea that they are all supposed to be self sufficient, gives people much more pride when they know they are the sole support. I didn't know the GA had imposed this. How many of App's facilities are multi-use so that they fall outside of this scope? if graduation is in the football stadium, does that mean it can be state funded?

GlassOnion
August 1st, 2011, 10:38 PM
Do you know what "most other institutions" means? Which school does it not apply to? I think it's a good idea that they are all supposed to be self sufficient, gives people much more pride when they know they are the sole support. I didn't know the GA had imposed this. How many of App's facilities are multi-use so that they fall outside of this scope? if graduation is in the football stadium, does that mean it can be state funded?

What can you not comprehend? AS IS THE CASE WITH MOST ATHLETICS PROGRAMS WITHIN THE UNC SYSTEM THE STUDENT ATHLETICS FEE FUNDS A SIG PORTION OF THES ACTIVITIES [ATHLETICS]. That merely means that the schools which do not make millions from ticket revenues, apparell, and TV contracts and such----that is to say UNC, and NCST---- use student fees to fund their programs. The 1A programs support themselves with revenue, the FCS schools require higher student fees.

crossfire07
August 1st, 2011, 10:50 PM
http://www2.wataugademocrat.com/News/sto...-id-005796

“Just the fact that Appalachian is playing a Virginia Tech that we know and all have real respect for, and then we come back and you play (North Carolina) A&T and Savannah State,” Peacock said. “I’m not putting those down, but you begin to think, is this the right group from an Appalachian perspective?”

Ouch! That is going to be some locker room material.

whoanellie
August 2nd, 2011, 06:54 AM

it could get chippy

StorminASU
August 2nd, 2011, 07:19 AM
it could get chippy

We'll still beat them by at least 3 touchdowns.

ElonPride
August 2nd, 2011, 07:52 AM

+1

TheRevSFA
August 2nd, 2011, 08:36 AM
hey..I hear the WAC is looking for football schools :D

gophoenix
August 2nd, 2011, 08:58 AM
What can you not comprehend? AS IS THE CASE WITH MOST ATHLETICS PROGRAMS WITHIN THE UNC SYSTEM THE STUDENT ATHLETICS FEE FUNDS A SIG PORTION OF THES ACTIVITIES [ATHLETICS]. That merely means that the schools which do not make millions from ticket revenues, apparell, and TV contracts and such----that is to say UNC, and NCST---- use student fees to fund their programs. The 1A programs support themselves with revenue, the FCS schools require higher student fees.

The UNC system contains D-II programs, HBCUs, the school of the Arts, FCS schools and FBS schools. Saying "AS IS THE CASE WITH MOST ATHLETICS PROGRAMS WITHIN THE UNC SYSTEM THE STUDENT ATHLETICS FEE FUNDS A SIG PORTION OF THES ACTIVITIES" can indicate either FBS making millions, like you say, or exceptions to the general assembly's directive based on certain exception conditions.

Relax.... it's not my fault your schools take state funds to make themselves cheaper. It's also not my fault you can't answer the questions. So screw that, how much of App's facilities were paid for by the taxpayers, at that rate? Reading the GA's directive, if it can be used or will be used, just once, by academics then it can be paid for by the taxpayers. So how much of the App facilities were paid for by us? What about the Western facilities? Or any other?

GlassOnion
August 2nd, 2011, 09:13 AM
The UNC system contains D-II programs, HBCUs, the school of the Arts, FCS schools and FBS schools. Saying "AS IS THE CASE WITH MOST ATHLETICS PROGRAMS WITHIN THE UNC SYSTEM THE STUDENT ATHLETICS FEE FUNDS A SIG PORTION OF THES ACTIVITIES" can indicate either FBS making millions, like you say, or exceptions to the general assembly's directive based on certain exception conditions.

Relax.... it's not my fault your schools take state funds to make themselves cheaper. It's also not my fault you can't answer the questions. So screw that, how much of App's facilities were paid for by the taxpayers, at that rate? Reading the GA's directive, if it can be used or will be used, just once, by academics then it can be paid for by the taxpayers. So how much of the App facilities were paid for by us? What about the Western facilities? Or any other?

Its all pretty black and white. Proportionate funds to proportionate usage. Are you accusing the ASU admin of fraud?

Ref Note - Getting smacky in this thread.

Appaholic
August 2nd, 2011, 09:39 AM

...says the graduate of West Point Reject U aka Hudson Junior High....

phoenix3
August 2nd, 2011, 09:43 AM
To the mods. You know, I'm not trying to take up for anyone by making this statement or point fingers, so take it for what it's worth. But I opened this thread with curiosity to find where App is in the FCS/FBS transition and to my surprise (tongue in cheek), there's another dagger throwing contest between certain App fans and Elon fans. Maybe there should be a App vs. Elon pi$$ing contest section under General FCS...

Ref comments. Noted.

Appaholic
August 2nd, 2011, 09:52 AM
To the mods. You know, I'm not trying to take up for anyone by making this statement or point fingers, so take it for what it's worth. But I opened this thread with curiosity to find where App is in the FCS/FBS transition and to my surprise (tongue in cheek), there's another dagger throwing contest between certain App fans and Elon fans. Maybe there should be a App vs. Elon pi$$ing contest section under General FCS...

+1 (except with responses to Citdog...he earns his daily message board floggings...)

TheRevSFA
August 2nd, 2011, 09:56 AM
Why not just give App and Elon fans their own board to go at eachother. We can call it "Mounting the Phoenix"...oh wait..that might be too pro App State...

Appaholic
August 2nd, 2011, 10:01 AM
Why not just give App and Elon fans their own board to go at eachother. We can call it "Mounting the Phoenix"...oh wait..that might be too pro App State...

Appropriate....that's usually what happens by game's end every fall between the 2 teams....

GlassOnion
August 2nd, 2011, 10:17 AM
Sorry you are so dense. I haven't accused anyone of fraud, but as a taxpayer, it is always interesting to see how the cheap public schools do things, especially since they are cheap by making the public pay to make education less expensive than it should be.

So no, I am not accusing anyone of anything. Being creative with the law is not the same thing as fraud, and you know it.

Fine. Go to the Elon website, and read:

"Every North Carolina resident who attends Elon as a full-time undergraduate student automatically receives a Legislative Tuition Grant of approximately $1,850 annually from the N.C. General Assembly."

Elon students are also open to all Federal grants, and loans. http://www.elon.edu/e-web/admissions/financialaid/grants.xhtml

I guess Elon is a cheap, public school for taking public money.

Appaholic
August 2nd, 2011, 10:35 AM

"Every North Carolina resident who attends Elon as a full-time undergraduate student automatically receives a Legislative Tuition Grant of approximately $1,850 annually from the N.C. General Assembly."

Elon students are also open to all Federal grants, and loans. http://www.elon.edu/e-web/admissions/financialaid/grants.xhtml

ouch! xwhistlex

AppAlum2003
August 2nd, 2011, 10:56 AM

Go easy on him... I think his trust fund got frozen for a week by daddy.

GlassOnion
August 2nd, 2011, 11:05 AM
Go easy on him... I think his trust fund got frozen for a week by daddy.

That explains the manic tendencies, arguing 3 threads at the same time...

RabidRabbit
August 2nd, 2011, 11:20 AM
<s>
Let's take the App/Elon blows to elsewhere.

Keep this to the App to FBS and Peacock's statement.

Further smack will be moved.

WestCoastAggie
August 2nd, 2011, 11:21 AM
it could get chippy

xcoffeex

Saint3333
August 2nd, 2011, 11:48 AM
So how much of the App facilities were paid for by us? What about the Western facilities? Or any other?

Facilities - $0 tax dollars. The new addition to the football stadium was 50% student fees/50% donations.

Athletics are supported by ticket revenues, marketing revenues, donations, and student fees. These are educated estimates: ASU had 16,000 students at $550 a year in student fees in 2010 plus ~$3M in donations, $3.5M ticket revenues, and advertising (no clue about this figure). That would more than equal the $14M budget. Now I can't speak to whether the AD and staff's salaries are included in the athletic budget (they may be), but the costs of gameday operations, facilities, travel, etc. doesn't come from state tax revenues.

I enjoyed your posts to our UNCC friends.

chattownmocs
August 2nd, 2011, 12:33 PM
App State moving up is a joke. They cant compete for a conference championship in CUSA in any sport. Their athletic program is deep but far from excellent.....Wait for it. They won a bunch of guberners cups doh.

asumike83
August 2nd, 2011, 12:36 PM
App State moving up is a joke. They cant compete for a conference championship in CUSA in any sport. Their athletic program is deep but far from excellent.....Wait for it. They won a bunch of guberners cups doh.

There is really no way to quantify a hypothetical like how ASU would do if they played in C-USA but if we ever were to get an invite, it would be for our football program and I think we could compete for a conference title. I know that you can't base much on one game but just as a point of reference, we lost 29-24 in Greenville to ECU with our starting QB on the sidelines in '09 and ECU won the conference that season. Absolutely does NOT mean we would have won C-USA with a healthy team that year, but does provide an example of us competing with the best team in the conference.

TheRevSFA
August 2nd, 2011, 12:38 PM
App State probably would be middle of the pack in C-USA.

But no one else in the SoCon will agree with that.

gophoenix
Facilities - $0 tax dollars. The new addition to the football stadium was 50% student fees/50% donations.

Athletics are supported by ticket revenues, marketing revenues, donations, and student fees. These are educated estimates: ASU had 16,000 students at $550 a year in student fees in 2010 plus ~$3M in donations, $3.5M ticket revenues, and advertising (no clue about this figure). That would more than equal the $14M budget. Now I can't speak to whether the AD and staff's salaries are included in the athletic budget (they may be), but the costs of gameday operations, facilities, travel, etc. doesn't come from state tax revenues.

I enjoyed your posts to our UNCC friends.

Hey, we can all agree on some things :)

It's one thing for me, or other fans, to jab at each other over stupid stuff. It's another for some team that hasn't been born yet to do it.....

chattownmocs
There is really no way to quantify a hypothetical like how ASU would do if they played in C-USA but if we ever were to get an invite, it would be for our football program and I think we could compete for a conference title. I know that you can't base much on one game but just as a point of reference, we lost 29-24 in Greenville to ECU with our starting QB on the sidelines in '09 and ECU won the conference that season. Absolutely does NOT mean we would have won C-USA with a healthy team that year, but does provide an example of us competing with the best team in the conference.

Yeah you beat Michigan in 07, I guess that means you would have won the Big Ten. Give me a break, yall would win a maximum of 2 games a year in CUSA.

chattownmocs
August 2nd, 2011, 12:39 PM

They might be able to work themselves to middle of the pack someday. Right now they would be at or very near the bottom.

gophoenix
August 2nd, 2011, 12:40 PM

Middle of the pack in what sports? Football? I think they definitely could, the only problem with that statement is depth. If nothing happened to the team, I think you are right. But the 22 extra scholarships add depth that App doesn't have right now make it hard to say whether this is true or not.

Does that count enough for agreeing but not disagreeing?

TheRevSFA
August 2nd, 2011, 12:42 PM
Middle of the pack in what sports? Football? I think they definitely could, the only problem with that statement is depth. If nothing happened to the team, I think you are right. But the 22 extra scholarships add depth that App doesn't have right now make it hard to say whether this is true or not.

Does that count enough for agreeing but not disagreeing?

Actually that was pretty well done...and since this referenced FBS in the title I meant football.

gophoenix
August 2nd, 2011, 12:46 PM

Elon doesn't take public money for tuition, the student does who goes to Elon. So, no, it isn't a cheap, public school. And nowhere did I say App was a cheap, public school. I said that tuition is artificially low based on tax revenue fed into a system that benefits people that could, and should, pay far more for what they are getting.

Appaholic
August 2nd, 2011, 12:49 PM

It's one thing for me, or other fans, to jab at each other over stupid stuff. It's another for some team that hasn't been born yet to do it.....

xlolxWell-played, GP....well-played indeed...xsmileyclapx

TheRevSFA
August 2nd, 2011, 12:59 PM
They might be able to work themselves to middle of the pack someday. Right now they would be at or very near the bottom.

I think you are just saying that out of hating App. That's fine. I don't have a dog in this fight as my school was fortunate enough to get our tails kicked by 'Nova to keep us from going to Boone.

First year or two..they might be a bottom feeder..but given what CUSA now, it's not that hard to imagine them rising quickly.

Saint3333
August 2nd, 2011, 01:09 PM

I know, but it just feels dirty. Keep up the good fight.

appfan2008
August 2nd, 2011, 01:38 PM
I personally will be an ASU fan either way... I will root for us here or up a level...

BUT...

I would like a decision to be made so that we can move forward... THANK YOU

Silenoz
August 2nd, 2011, 02:16 PM
They better do something and do it quick because that program is slowly dying and will soon lose the tiny bit of appeal it currently has.

lol?

Silenoz
August 2nd, 2011, 02:22 PM
There was a report a couple months back on this and I know Montana was extremely low compared to most Universities as far as public money. I can not remember where App was for sure but I bet someone will know where to find that info. quickly.

This is the best I can do with about 2 seconds of work

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2011-06-23-2011-athletic-department-subsidy-table_n.htm

klak
August 2nd, 2011, 02:25 PM
So anybody want to talk about the FBS committee? I'm geniunely curious about what their recommendation is because I imagine it will have a significant impact on GSU.

91Niner
August 2nd, 2011, 02:33 PM

Gosh, yes I mean its not like any of us "Charlotte" people have ever watched any football games or had any opinions on them or anything......we're not worthy......

Mikeyosef
August 2nd, 2011, 02:42 PM
Based on everything I have heard, the committee will recommend that Appalachian State move up when an opportunity to do so presents itself. Until then there will be suggestions on intermediate steps that should be taken in preparation for said opportunity.

whoanellie
August 2nd, 2011, 02:48 PM
Elon doesn't take public money for tuition, the student does who goes to Elon. So, no, it isn't a cheap, public school. And nowhere did I say App was a cheap, public school. I said that tuition is artificially low based on tax revenue fed into a system that benefits people that could, and should, pay far more for what they are getting. here is an update link of Elon's Teaching fellows Grant Program due to North Carolina's Legislature dropping their State funding http://www.elon.edu/e-net/Note.aspx?id=953701&searchTerms=teaching+fellows for all the App Alums that are teachers in NC slam this!!!!

citdog
August 2nd, 2011, 04:36 PM
+1 (except with responses to Citdog...he earns his daily message board floggings...)

Had an appt to hudson high. Decided to go to a school that required one to have a pair. I liked you better when you were drinkin'.

Apphole
August 2nd, 2011, 05:32 PM
Gosh, yes I mean its not like any of us "Charlotte" people have ever watched any football games or had any opinions on them or anything......we're not worthy......

You really aren't worthy, hence being denied from 3 conferences that you believed to be beneath you. Not even Chattowntroll can match the delusions of your entire fan base.

49RFootballNow
August 2nd, 2011, 06:20 PM
You really aren't worthy, hence being denied from 3 conferences that you believed to be beneath you. Not even Chattowntroll can match the delusions of your entire fan base.

I love when fans of a team somehow think their favorite team's on-field success makes them authorities on everything related to that sport. You have Tarheel written all over you.

SideLine Shooter
August 2nd, 2011, 07:14 PM
Had an appt to hudson high. Decided to go to a school that required one to have a pair. I liked you better when you were drinkin'.

Dog, weren't you under Sgt. Shultz? (in more ways than 1 could imagine.)

citdog
August 2nd, 2011, 07:24 PM
Dog, weren't you under Sgt. Shultz? (in more ways than 1 could imagine.)

You have me confused with Col Hogan.

appsfan
August 2nd, 2011, 07:52 PM
Elon doesn't take public money for tuition, the student does who goes to Elon. So, no, it isn't a cheap, public school. And nowhere did I say App was a cheap, public school. I said that tuition is artificially low based on tax revenue fed into a system that benefits people that could, and should, pay far more for what they are getting.

There is one problem with your last statement about tuition being artificially low- it isn't according to a document called the Constitution of the State of North Carolina...

AppMan
August 2nd, 2011, 09:43 PM

Peacock did not compare ASU to VPI. He simply said ASU will be playing a respected and well known opponent. Apparently your hatred of ASU has reached the point it renders you incapable of comprehending a simple statement concerning the school. Good thing most of The Citadel people I’ve met have an abundance of decorum and common sense. Your incessant ranting gives the impression you folks are all a bunch of bitter, egotistical, jackasses.

citdog
August 2nd, 2011, 10:06 PM
Peacock did not compare ASU to VPI. He simply said ASU will be playing a respected and well known opponent. Apparently your hatred of ASU has reached the point it renders you incapable of comprehending a simple statement concerning the school. Good thing most of The Citadel people I’ve met have an abundance of decorum and common sense. If not your incessant ranting would leave me with the impression they are all a bunch of bitter, egotistical, jackasses. What really disturbs me is how your indignant attitude gives those of us who strive to educate the masses about the real causes behind the War for Southern Independence such a negative image.

Kiss my Confederate Cock. if you read the thread your own people even said that your 'chancellor', as a Jew that title makes me nervous, should have kept his cockholster shut. I have FORGOTTEN more about our Second American Revolution than you will ever know. You can't even quote Marse Bob correctly. I used to actually like app, even journeyed to the scene of Bragg's greatest failure to see them play in the championship game but this whole attitude that y'all are now too good for the rest of us rubs me the wrong way. This whoie new batch of bandwagon jumpers has to be as embarrasing to long time yosef's as it is for you when you look down as you squat to take a leak. If peacock has an issue with the two FCS schools that appear on your schedule after the VPI game perhaps he should walk over and discuss those games being scheduled with charlie cobb as he, and no one else, is responsible for them being on your schedule in the first place.

Apphole
August 2nd, 2011, 10:08 PM
I love when fans of a team somehow think their favorite team's on-field success makes them authorities on everything related to that sport. You have Tarheel written all over you.

I claimed to be the authority of everything football in that post? Seemed like any other post about UNCC to me; a casual comment on your delusions of grandeur and the humble pie you have/will be served year after year. The Tarholes have little to no on field success and I hate them, which makes your post 100% rubbish. Except the mention of my team's on field success. That is very true.

citdog
August 2nd, 2011, 11:37 PM
Line crossed.

You really are a bleeding gash. This is the second time today you got your little feelings hurt. Why don't you go jump off of the nearest cliff.

Green26
August 3rd, 2011, 01:17 AM

Huh? Montana's annual student fee is $92. It will go up $25 in each of the next two years, to $142 after two years. ASU's is $639 per year. I don't recall the math, but UM wouldn't need state funding if the student fee was about $350 - $400 per year, is my guess.

91Niner
August 3rd, 2011, 06:27 AM
[QUOTE=Apphole;1649261]I claimed to be the authority of everything football in that post? Seemed like any other post about UNCC to me; a casual comment on your delusions of grandeur and the humble pie you have/will be served year after year. The Tarholes have little to no on field success and I hate them, which makes your post 100% rubbish. Except the mention of my team's on field success. That is very

Dude, you are so full of it.....90% of your posts claim that because our team "hasn't taken the field" we know nothing and our opinions are worthless.

appfan2008
August 3rd, 2011, 07:15 AM
Based on everything I have heard, the committee will recommend that Appalachian State move up when an opportunity to do so presents itself. Until then there will be suggestions on intermediate steps that should be taken in preparation for said opportunity.

I think that will be the right thing to do and I hope that is what they come up with.

Appaholic
August 3rd, 2011, 08:50 AM

Bull****. Pure, unadulterated BS. You wouldn't be allowed to carry West Point luggage. Your traitor school celebrates it's delusional past as if it accomplished something more than a loss during the Civil War. But then again, it prepared you for what to expect when trying to field a football team nowadays....

citadel, the military academy of the south, is on par with Oak Ridge, the military academy of NC....go get my luggage you felching gaywad...

citdog
August 3rd, 2011, 09:08 AM
Bull****. Pure, unadulterated BS. You wouldn't be allowed to carry West Point luggage. Your traitor school celebrates it's delusional past as if it accomplished something more than a loss during the Civil War. But then again, it prepared you for what to expect when trying to field a football team nowadays....

citadel, the military academy of the south, is on par with Oak Ridge, the military academy of NC....go get my luggage you felching gaywad...

Dude there is WAY too much blood in your alcohol system. Luggage jokes that were old when my Grandfather was a Cadet and my own slam on the 'bundles of sticks'? It is sad what you are becoming. The drop off in your smack quality is as steep as that mountain you fell off of. I may have to put you on ignore so that I can just think that you died and choose to remember you when you used to actually be a GREAT smack poster. Those days, sadly, seem to be far behind you. RIP appaholic

Appaholic
August 3rd, 2011, 09:31 AM
Dude there is WAY too much blood in your alcohol system. Luggage jokes that were old when my Grandfather was a Cadet and my own slam on the 'bundles of sticks'? It is sad what you are becoming. The drop off in your smack quality is as steep as that mountain you fell off of. I may have to put you on ignore so that I can just think that you died and choose to remember you when you used to actually be a GREAT smack poster. Those days, sadly, seem to be far behind you. RIP appaholic

That's rich....the poster still celebrating his slave-owning heritage (sans the Federal wood shedding that resulted) as well as his conference football championship in 1992 is chastising me for using old schtick....nice...very credible accusation....

citdog
August 3rd, 2011, 09:41 AM
That's rich....the poster still celebrating his slave-owning heritage (sans the Federal wood shedding that resulted) as well as his conference football championship in 1992 is chastising me for using old schtick....nice...very credible accusation....

We didn't have slaves.....just some african fellows we traded farm work for food, housing, and health care. We killed 360,000 of them bluebellies before we exhausted ourselves whipping them. Don't forget about that 1961 Championship and Tangerine Bowl win neither. 2023 here we come!

Apphole
August 3rd, 2011, 10:27 AM
[QUOTE=Apphole;1649261]I claimed to be the authority of everything football in that post? Seemed like any other post about UNCC to me; a casual comment on your delusions of grandeur and the humble pie you have/will be served year after year. The Tarholes have little to no on field success and I hate them, which makes your post 100% rubbish. Except the mention of my team's on field success. That is very

Dude, you are so full of it.....90% of your posts claim that because our team "hasn't taken the field" we know nothing and our opinions are worthless.

Nice quoting job. I wouldn't say that more than 5% of my posts are about that trade school you currently attend. Go check my post history if you'd like. I'm usually much more concerned with schools that have football, and thus, have intelligent things to say about it. While the fact that you haven't fielded a team is a major reason for the ignorance of your brood, it doesn't overshadow the primary reason why your fan base is the least respected in sports. That would be you're unfounded sence of entitlement, far away delusions about the sport and academic worth of UNCC, and the desperate attempts to create a rivalry with App by trolling our threads. I assure you that few App fans, especially me, are concerned with that ugly little fetus inside Judy Rose. Please run along. You have another year of losing every single conference basketball game until your infinitesimal football team loses to Campbell. Then you can join Ga St in the "losers with big dreams" corner.

91Niner
August 3rd, 2011, 10:52 AM
[QUOTE=91Niner;1649315]

Nice quoting job. I wouldn't say that more than 5% of my posts are about that trade school you currently attend. Go check my post history if you'd like. I'm usually much more concerned with schools that have football, and thus, have intelligent things to say about it. While the fact that you haven't fielded a team is a major reason for the ignorance of your brood, it doesn't overshadow the primary reason why your fan base is the least respected in sports. That would be you're unfounded sence of entitlement, far away delusions about the sport and academic worth of UNCC, and the desperate attempts to create a rivalry with App by trolling our threads. I assure you that few App fans, especially me, are concerned with that ugly little fetus inside Judy Rose. Please run along. You have another year of losing every single conference basketball game until your infinitesimal football team loses to Campbell. Then you can join Ga St in the "losers with big dreams" corner.

Wow, you've succeeded. I knew you could do. it. An entire post without one word of truth in it, not even close to any.

Apphole
August 3rd, 2011, 11:07 AM
Wow, you've succeeded. I knew you could do. it. An entire post without one word of truth in it, not even close to any.

Yeah man. Every single fan of every other school on AGS and I are wrong, you're right. Tell me, does your parallel universe border chattownmocs'? They seem very similar, though not entirely the same.

GlassOnion
August 3rd, 2011, 11:14 AM
Huh? Montana's annual student fee is $92. It will go up $25 in each of the next two years, to $142 after two years. ASU's is $639 per year. I don't recall the math, but UM wouldn't need state funding if the student fee was about $350 - $400 per year, is my guess.

That is the point. App recieves no State money for athletics, so our students have to make up the difference. At the moment it is temporarily elevated because of the upgrades.

If there is an absurd student fee out there, I believe Western Carolina's student fee is the highest in the state.

91Niner
August 3rd, 2011, 12:04 PM
Yeah man. Every single fan of every other school on AGS and I are wrong, you're right. Tell me, does your parallel universe border chattownmocs'? They seem very similar, though not entirely the same.

Yes, EVERY other poster agrees with you.....but I'm in a "parallel universe".......lol

Apphole
August 3rd, 2011, 12:21 PM
Yes, EVERY other poster agrees with you.....but I'm in a "parallel universe".......lol

Let's not forget that an Elon phan's comment is what originally drew you out of your parent's basement and on to this thread.

Appaholic
August 3rd, 2011, 12:43 PM
That is the point. App recieves no State money for athletics, so our students have to make up the difference. At the moment it is temporarily elevated because of the upgrades.

If there is an absurd student fee out there, I believe Western Carolina's student fee is the highest in the state.

Considering the product they put on the field, unless WCU admin are giving a rebate to all students per sememster, it's absurdly high....

appfan2008
August 3rd, 2011, 02:18 PM
Considering the product they put on the field, unless WCU admin are giving a rebate to all students per sememster, it's absurdly high....

I feel bad for them... at least we get something out of our fees!

91Niner
August 3rd, 2011, 03:10 PM
Let's not forget that an Elon phan's comment is what originally drew you out of your parent's basement and on to this thread.

wow, thats funny stuff right there......I'll have to tell my wife and my college bound kids that one when I go home tonight.

ChooChoo
August 3rd, 2011, 04:03 PM
[QUOTE=91Niner;1649315]

Way to make more enemies. The name suits you Apphole.

Wmbgskip
August 3rd, 2011, 04:21 PM
With regards to student fees, gotta remember that the size of enrollment has a big effect on the per student cost. For instance, Virginia Tech's athletic fee is $130/semester (http://www.bursar.vt.edu/tuition/). William and Mary's is $742.50 even before you consider debt service on W&M Hall or the student fee charged for groups/clubs to be able to use the building, free admission for students to games, etc (http://www.wm.edu/offices/financialoperations/sa/tuition/index.php). But, then, VT has 23,000 undergrads, W&M has 5,500, so the difference gets somewhat balanced back out (VT ends up 3mil per semester, W&M 4mil, but W&M is far more dependent on the student fee than the Hokies).

--Skip

Apphole
August 3rd, 2011, 04:55 PM
wow, thats funny stuff right there......I'll have to tell my wife and my college bound kids that one when I go home tonight.

Not too many family men lol as much as you.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 3rd, 2011, 05:29 PM

Huh..what!? I was pretty clear that I didn't know with my statement wasn't I?

I was just spitballin' to make the point that UM's was quite a bit less/student which you are apparently backking up...right? The "I don't know for sure" part is a good signal that I am just going off my recollection of where it's at and it should not be used as hard facts.

49RFootballNow
August 3rd, 2011, 05:58 PM

100% Tarheel, Dean Smith is proud of you and your awesome internetting skills.

Apphole
August 3rd, 2011, 05:59 PM
100% Tarheel, Dean Smith is proud of you and your awesome internetting skills.

Blasphemy

citdog
August 3rd, 2011, 06:09 PM
Huh..what!? I was pretty clear that I didn't know with my statement wasn't I?

I was just spitballin' to make the point that UM's was quite a bit less/student which you are apparently backking up...right? The "I don't know for sure" part is a good signal that I am just going off my recollection of where it's at and it should not be used as hard facts.

I used to know this poster named Unpronounceable who was really a sharp and fine Gentleman of the West who used to be able to find time to run 62 corporations, welcome new life into the world (congrats Uncle), know every document that the University of Montana has ever produced under the Freedom of Information Act the way I know South Carolina's GLORIOUS Ordinance of Secession, post in TREMENDOUS quantity, and mostly quality, on two football websites and still find time to masturbate vigorously at least 36 times a day.

You quit masturbating didn't you?

ursus arctos horribilis
August 3rd, 2011, 06:16 PM
I used to know this poster named Unpronounceable who was really a sharp and fine Gentleman of the West who used to be able to find time to run 62 corporations, welcome new life into the world (congrats Uncle), know every document that the University of Montana has ever produced under the Freedom of Information Act the way I know South Carolina's GLORIOUS Ordinance of Secession, post in TREMENDOUS quantity, and mostly quality, on two football websites and still find time to masturbate vigorously at least 36 times a day.

You quit masturbating didn't you?

Good sir, I can honestly tell you that I have not.

I do apologize for spitballin' on that last one but I just didn't think it mattered in the grand scheme of the point but I take your point and I will tighten up my game. That was sheer laziness on my part.:D

ursus arctos horribilis
August 3rd, 2011, 06:18 PM
And thanks for the congrats as well Cdiggity but I really didn't have to do anything after I delivered the kid so it was pretty smooth sailing.

ThompsonThe
August 3rd, 2011, 08:29 PM
Football threads generally get a little raunchy just before football season kicks off. This thread is a fine example of that.

tractorapp
August 3rd, 2011, 08:34 PM

It seriously will not matter.

91Niner
August 3rd, 2011, 08:55 PM

dayum, that is some weak a$$ ***** right there.........that better?

ursus arctos horribilis
August 3rd, 2011, 09:02 PM
Today must have been Apphole's day in the barrel cuz he took some shots today.xlolx

UNH Fanboi
August 3rd, 2011, 09:54 PM
Six months ago people were claiming that App moving up was a "done deal." When I mentioned that a team needs an invite to move up, I was condescendingly poo-pooed. What's taking so long?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?81313-Appalachian-State-Feasibility-Study-Progresses&p=1612298&viewfull=1#post1612298

Accelerati Incredibilus:
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. Too many positive vibes out there. Nothing negative being said by anyone. It's a done deal."

Me:
"It seems like there are a lot of positive vibes from ASU, but they need an invite before this is a done deal."

Accelerati Incredibilus:
"Pay attention. It IS a done deal."

WestCoastAggie
August 3rd, 2011, 09:55 PM
It seriously will not matter.

Maybe. Maybe not.

xwhistlex

GaSouthern
August 4th, 2011, 07:17 AM
I'm patiently waiting to hear of any results they announce. With UCF and ECU not yet being raided by the BE and with the SunBelt sitting content I fully expect App to announce nothing today.

StorminASU
August 4th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Maybe. Maybe not.

xwhistlex

I'm gonna stick with the maybe not.

eagle07
August 4th, 2011, 07:31 AM
I believe its going to be more posturing. "After careful deliberation blah blah blah".... "Wait for right opportunity"...." Need more information"......

Smitty
August 4th, 2011, 07:31 AM
I expect them to delay the results for another 2 weeks and then give us a report on how they plan to wait another 2 weeks...

appfan2008
August 4th, 2011, 07:42 AM
I believe its going to be more posturing. "After careful deliberation blah blah blah".... "Wait for right opportunity"...." Need more information"......

Sad but true... this is what i expect as well... I think we are ready to move but only with an invitation... until we see that we arent going anywhere...

boonedocks
August 4th, 2011, 07:51 AM

This. I expect them to talk a lot without saying anything. I just see no way that any real news will come out in this budget/conference climate.

whoanellie
August 4th, 2011, 09:50 AM
and the band played on & on & on!!!!!

eagle07
August 4th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Do they have a press conference scheduled today about this or is it going to be a press release type thing of what comes of the meeting?

tarmac
August 4th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Only thing I have heard is what is in the original article that started this thread.

Apphole
August 4th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Today must have been Apphole's day in the barrel cuz he took some shots today.xlolx

It would actually sting if it wasn't coming from a group that thinks their bush league AD will be in the Big East in 5 years. It's like when chattown insults you, it's not credible so who cares? I dished alot more valid insults and points. I just received the same old UNCC "LOLZ!" and "oh yeah right that's not true you're silly." They'd be better off actually offering counterpoints, but I suppose they have none.

Apphole
August 4th, 2011, 10:48 AM
The FBS thing is a done deal, but we just have to wait for the opening. You are all correct that say todays announcement will say "yeah we're moving, but not until there is a shift." Make no mistake though, it IS going to happen and it's going to happen soon.

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 11:21 AM
With my first post here on AGS.com I would like to say that I hope App State receives an invitation to join the Sun Belt Conference. the Mountaineers are the only FCS program I personally support moving up and joining the Belt. here's to you guys!

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 11:23 AM
hey App fans, we winners have to stick together. xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
August 4th, 2011, 11:36 AM
hey App fans, we winners have to stick together. xthumbsupx

I don't know if Troy State can be called a winner in the FBS game and I had a really fun time partying with the Troy State guys when they came to Missoula. They were great folks and sent me some hats & a T Shirt and all but that game didn't go so well for Troy State.

Troy State's finances as far as football at the FBS level are not what I'd be looking forward to if I were App State though.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 4th, 2011, 11:37 AM
I think what we will hear is "We are going to explore all options and opportunities that come our way", and that is exactly what they mean.

For teams like Troy and others who were good in IAA but weren't power houses , the decision is a no-brainer. But for the most elite teams the decision isn't so cut-and-dry, as Montana showed with their dithering on joining the WAC.

Appie won't move up unless they get offered by the CUSA. Ditto GSU.

GaSouthern
August 4th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I'm betting that if the SunBelt is their only option that they choose to stay in the SoCon.

49RFootballNow
August 4th, 2011, 11:53 AM
It would actually sting if it wasn't coming from a group that thinks their bush league AD will be in the Big East in 5 years. It's like when chattown insults you, it's not credible so who cares? I dished alot more valid insults and points. I just received the same old UNCC "LOLZ!" and "oh yeah right that's not true you're silly." They'd be better off actually offering counterpoints, but I suppose they have none.

"I make valid points and insults. Look at me! I'm Apphole and I'm the smartest person in my own mind. I need attention!"
AWWWW! Poor fellow! Someone feels bad and wants a cookie.

Saint3333
August 4th, 2011, 11:55 AM
"I make valid points and insults. Look at me! I'm Apphole and I'm the smartest person in my own mind. I need attention!"

AWWWW! Porr fellow! Someone feels bad and wants a cookie.

Pot have you met kettle?

49RFootballNow
August 4th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Pot have you met kettle?

Turd Sandwich, have you met Douche?

http://southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com/shared/characters/non-human/giant-douche-and-turd-sandwich.jpg

ElonPride
August 4th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Turd Sandwich, have you met Douche?

xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
August 4th, 2011, 12:07 PM
I think what we will hear is "We are going to explore all options and opportunities that come our way", and that is exactly what they mean.

For teams like Troy and others who were good in IAA but weren't power houses , the decision is a no-brainer. But for the most elite teams the decision isn't so cut-and-dry, as Montana showed with their dithering on joining the WAC.

Appie won't move up unless they get offered by the CUSA. Ditto GSU.

I'm not even sure if it's a no brainer for teams like Troy unless you are looking to have the students subsidize the Athletic Dept.

Most of those programs ain't making it on their own with the normal revenues that people talk about wiith increased ticket sales and TV money and so forth. They are being propped up by student fees and subsidies.

But if the students want to pay for it then good enough by me. I see a whole lot of fans saying that these extra revenues are gonna come from the increased exposure but it just hasn't been the case.

asumike83
August 4th, 2011, 12:08 PM
I'm not expecting anything ground-breaking today. The fact that the decision has been delayed pretty much gives away what decision has been made. If ASU was planning to stay put, I think that announcement would have been made months ago. I think there will eventually be a conference re-alignment in the FBS ranks, probably beginning with the Big East and trickling down. Once that happens, I believe we'll see ASU make a public statement and really start making their sales pitches to potential conferences. If C-USA extends a bid then we're gonna pack our bags. If not, I'd rather stay in the SoCon for the foreseeable future than move to a conference that doesn't geographically or economically make sense, and I hope that our administration feels the same.

Apphole
August 4th, 2011, 12:28 PM
AWWWW! Poor fellow! Someone feels bad and wants a cookie.

That's the counterpoint I guess.... I'm eating a box of chips ahoy just for you.

Skjellyfetti
August 4th, 2011, 12:39 PM
I wouldn't expect anything to be announced today.

Peacock is going on a retreat with 50 other University Presidents with the NCAA along with an ASU faculty representative next weekend.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Latest+News/2011/July/List+of+attendees+for+presidential+retreat

Would love to be a fly on the wall for the board meeting today and Peacock's conversations next week... but, I doubt we hear much of what is discussed.

SO ILLmatic
August 4th, 2011, 12:41 PM
According to Wikipedia...

Endowments of C-USA institutions

UAB - 332 mil
UCF - 114 mil
ECU - 100 mil
Marshall - 70 mil
Memphis - 183 mil
So Miss - 89 mil
Houston - 674 mil
Rice - 3.6 Billion
SMU - 1.37 Billion
UTEP - 151 mil
Tulane - 807 mil
Tulsa - 915 mil

Sun Belt

Ark St - 33 mil
FAU - 142 mil
FIU - 118 mil
ULL - 93 mil
ULM - 20.6 mil
MTSU - 34.9 mil
UNT - 87.8
USA - 384 mil
Troy - 30 mil
WKU - 144 mil

App State - 56 mil
Ga So - 31.7 mil

Tried to make sense of the athletic budgets on the dept. of ed's site, but unable to do so. I don't know if Apps & GSUs ath. budgets are more similar to CUSA or the Sun Belt. The endowments seem to show the Sun Belt would be a good fit.

SO ILLmatic
August 4th, 2011, 12:44 PM
If UCF, Houston, & ECU depart CUSA I can see App with the likes to Marshall, Memphis, So Miss, etc...

Adding App & Ga So would make it possible to have a Sun Belt championship game
West: UNT, ULL, ULM, Ark St, USA, Troy
East: App, GSU, FAU, FIU, MTSU, WKU

GaSouthern
August 4th, 2011, 12:53 PM
If UCF, Houston, & ECU depart CUSA I can see App with the likes to Marshall, Memphis, So Miss, etc...

While this is what I'd personally like to see, if GSU is in the mix, then it is the best kept secret that our president has had. I think GSU is still 5 years away from being ready for the FBS

appfan2008
August 4th, 2011, 01:08 PM
While this is what I'd personally like to see, if GSU is in the mix, then it is the best kept secret that our president has had. I think GSU is still 5 years away from being ready for the FBS

That would be feasible to me but I would rather be cusa... just saying...

Apphole
August 4th, 2011, 01:18 PM
If GaSo went with us to Sunbelt, I'd be way more open to the idea. My main problem with going to that conference is the lack of any rivalries whatsoever. Traveling costs are also a concern. With the C USA issue, I feel like facilities and fanship, ie making money/having a team that people actually want to watch, is far more important a factor than endowment. It's all about TV and bowl money in the FBS. We have a program that will win games and would already be third in C USA in attendance. With stadium enhancements, which are an inevitability, the initial hype of the move, and finally having high profile teams play in Boone, we're looking at being second only to ECU in fanship/attendance. That's IF they're still in the conference.

Saint3333
August 4th, 2011, 01:35 PM
ASU is only in the CUSA conversation if they are raided by the BE taking three teams and one of them isn't be ECU. Even then I'd imagine ASU would be behind FIU/FAU (if UCF is taken), and probably 2 or 3 other Sun Belt schools.

The Sun Belt would be a lot more attractive if the BE raided CUSA and then CUSA added some western Sun Belt programs creating an eastern shift in the Sun Belt and they added ASU, GSU, and JMU.

This obviously isn't in play at this time so I think they announce we "can" make the move and would under the right circumstances. But this isn't really news to those familar with ASU, it's just not published anywhere. i'd personally rather just make the "announcement" to the leaders of FBS conferences than in a newspaper.

GaSouthern
August 4th, 2011, 01:54 PM
So should I give up waiting on any official announcement on anything today? I've not seen anything and it's 3PM

AppMan
August 4th, 2011, 01:59 PM
ASU is only in the CUSA conversation if they are raided by the BE taking three teams and one of them isn't be ECU. Even then I'd imagine ASU would be behind FIU/FAU (if UCF is taken), and probably 2 or 3 other Sun Belt schools.

The Sun Belt would be a lot more attractive if the BE raided CUSA and then CUSA added some western Sun Belt programs creating an eastern shift in the Sun Belt and they added ASU, GSU, and JMU.

This obviously isn't in play at this time so I think they announce we "can" make the move and would under the right circumstances. But this isn't really news to those familar with ASU, it's just not published anywhere. i'd personally rather just make the "announcement" to the leaders of FBS conferences than in a newspaper.

Saint, I know it is a very big longshot, but I would much rather see ASU involved in a new Mid Atlantic Seaboard Conference. Before someone says it can't be done without losing the NCAA bastetball tournament ticket for several years, consider the Mountain West was granted a waiver by the NCAA since they were all existing Division One programs. The perferct conference, imo, would be ASU, Army (football only), Charlotte, Delaware, ECU, George Mason (all sports except football), James Madison, Marshall, Navy (football only), ODU, & VCU (all sports except football). Four established FBS programs, three FCS power programs, two up and coming programs in nice TV markets and two outstanding basketball programs. The nine football schools gives you 4 home & away games and with the exception of a long road trip to Army every two years it is very compact with travel sosts held to a minimum. BTW, I'd be happy with Army and Navy keeping all the revenues of their annual game. I nominate Terry Holland as the first Conference Comissioner.

appfan2008
August 4th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Saint, I know it is a very big longshot, but I would much rather see ASU involved in a new Mid Atlantic Seaboard Conference. Before someone says it can't be done without losing the NCAA bastetball tournament ticket for several years, consider the Mountain West was granted a waiver by the NCAA since they were all existing Division One programs. The perferct conference, imo, would be ASU, Army (football only), Charlotte, Delaware, ECU, George Mason (all sports except football), James Madison, Marshall, Navy (football only), ODU, & VCU (all sports except football). Four established FBS programs, three FCS power programs, two up and coming programs in nice TV markets and two outstanding basketball programs. The nine football schools gives you 4 home & away games and with the exception of a long road trip to Army every two years it is very compact with travel sosts held to a minimum. BTW, I'd be happy with Army and Navy keeping all the revenues of their annual game. I nominate Terry Holland as the first Conference Comissioner.

I would love a conference situated to the mid atlantic rather than deep south... but i see that as less likely... just saying...

phoenix3
August 4th, 2011, 03:29 PM

I would think that the addition of ASU and GSU would be very attractive to the Sun Belt. QF I think it would add some class to the mix. And with the divisions, travel becomes more doable. Don't shoot me, it's just my opinion that CUSA isn't ready to make an offer to any FCS school, nor will they be in the forseable future. I also don't see the "dream conferences" happening either. I see the Sun Belt as the only possible alternative that won't take 5+ years to happen.

apaladin
August 4th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Back to the original article, why does it say you play VPI and then come home and play NC A&T and Savannah St. Those teams have nothing to do with the SoCon and very little to do with FCS for that matter.

GaSouthern
August 4th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Well this announcement has been a huge letdown today, i've heard nothing so far :(

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 04:27 PM
guys, c'mon let's be realistic. as much as I like App State, the are NOT going to be offered an invite from Conference USA...it just isn't going to happen. there are several already established FBS programs on their radar including FIU, MTSU, and Western Kentucky.

If App State is going to get an invite from an FBS league, it is going to come from the Sun Belt or not at all.

49RFootballNow
August 4th, 2011, 04:36 PM
guys, c'mon let's be realistic. as much as I like App State, the are NOT going to be offered an invite from Conference USA...it just isn't going to happen. there are several already established FBS programs on their radar including FIU, MTSU, and Western Kentucky.

If App State is going to get an invite from an FBS league, it is going to come from the Sun Belt or not at all.

Shhhhhhhh! They don't like it when you say that.

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 04:38 PM

well it's the truth. I'm a big Mountaineer fan, so much so that I want them in the Belt. however, I think it is foolish and obsurd to repeatedly talk like that is a legitimate possibility.

hapapp
August 4th, 2011, 05:04 PM
I don't think you have seen many, if any, ASU fans on this site actually claim that CUSA is likely to give an invite to the Mountaineers. Sure, many would love it to happen but I think ASU fans realize now that is not likely to be something coming down the pike very soon. I'll admit that some in our fan base are a bit delusional about how ASU is perceived by the FBS world. But, I think after the postponement of the announcement in May, the realists among us recognize that there are many factors at play that make the move to FBS less likely to happen any time soon.

SoCon48
August 4th, 2011, 05:25 PM

Since Rosebud has already said you're shooting for FBS ASAP, exactly which conference are you expecting an invite from?

ValleyBoy
August 4th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I don't think you have seen many, if any, ASU fans on this site actually claim that CUSA is likely to give an invite to the Mountaineers. Sure, many would love it to happen but I think ASU fans realize now that is not likely to be something coming down the pike very soon. I'll admit that some in our fan base are a bit delusional about how ASU is perceived by the FBS world. But, I think after the postponement of the announcement in May, the realists among us recognize that there are many factors at play that make the move to FBS less likely to happen any time soon.
+1

Who knows what is going to happen in the football world. The only know fact is that the WAC is looking for new football members, other that fact every other conference is in a holding mode. Will the Big 12 fall apart or pick up new football members. Will the Big East raid CUSA. Then CUSA raided the SunBelt. Will the SEC stand pat or expand to 14 or 16.

These are just a few things that can happen. We will not know until the dominoes start to fall.

Saint3333
August 4th, 2011, 06:56 PM

Did you read my post in which I've already stated other FBS programs are ahead of ASU?

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 07:05 PM
ok ok, not every ASU fan does it. sorry.

perspective though, ya know? no one's team on here is going to go to any FBS conference and be top of the charts first season. App State is the most prepared, but even they will take several years before a title is a possibility. so to talk like the Sun Belt is beneath someone and not deserving of their team is wrong. the Sun Belt may not be the SEC, but it is a much stronger Conference than any FCS Conference and anyone who receives an invite should be excited an FBS league wants you to join.

I am not trying to sound stuck up about anything because I'm not. I am just pointing out that I've read posts around here that sounded stuck up and I want to say something about it.

citdog
August 4th, 2011, 07:08 PM
ok ok, not every ASU fan does it. sorry.

perspective though, ya know? no one's team on here is going to go to any FBS conference and be top of the charts first season. App State is the most prepared, but even they will take several years before a title is a possibility. so to talk like the Sun Belt is beneath someone and not deserving of their team is wrong. the Sun Belt may not be the SEC, but it is a much stronger Conference than any FCS Conference and anyone who receives an invite should be excited an FBS league wants you to join.

I am not trying to sound stuck up about anything because I'm not. I am just pointing out that I've read posts around here that sounded stuck up and I want to say something about it.

Please enlighten us as to what EXACTLY your football team is playing for every year.

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I completely understand your side of the argument, but it still doesn't matter. FCS football receives less attention then FBS football. plus, Troy is well-respected. We are playing for a 6th strait Sun Belt Conference title and a national ranking. I'm as happy where I sit as you appear to be where you sit, my team's games just come on tv more often.

So i'm not saying I'm better or I'm happier than anyone here. I'm just saying that the competition at my team's level is tougher than at your team's level, so FCS fans should not feel that their team could come up and just be awesome right out of the gates. It won't happen, it will be hard and you will have to fight and claw for a long while before you get to the top...even in the Sun Belt.

citdog
August 4th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I completely understand your side of the argument, but it still doesn't matter. FCS football receives less attention then FBS football. plus, Troy is well-respected. We are playing for a 6th strait Sun Belt Conference title and a national ranking. I'm as happy where I sit as you appear to be where you sit, my team's games just come on tv more often.

So i'm not saying I'm better or I'm happier than anyone here. I'm just saying that the competition at my team's level is tougher than at your team's level, so FCS fans should not feel that their team could come up and just be awesome right out of the gates. It won't happen, it will be hard and you will have to fight and claw for a long while before you get to the top...even in the Sun Belt.

That wasn't the question.

The answer is NOTHING. You play for NOTHING.

Mountaineer
August 4th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Get the fug outta here with that garbage. I could pick a few teams in the CAA, SoCon, MVFC, and/or Big Sky that would have no problem acclimating to, and doing well in the Sun Belt right out of the gate. xrolleyesx

Four I-AA conferences were ranked higher than the Sun Belt in the last years Sagarin ratings. xlolx

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 07:35 PM
well I welcome the Mountaineers to come on up and give it a shot just as soon as yall are ready. I am all for ASU joining the Belt, i'd love to see what you guys got.

appstfan
August 4th, 2011, 07:41 PM

I can tell you why most ASU fans do not see the Sun Belt as a great option. First, look at the Sagarin rating, ASU ended the 2010 season rated at number 75 and Troy the top team in the Sun Belt was rated at number 80. Also in terms of attendance, ASU averaged (25,715) more than any of the teams in the Sun Belt. I think the best option for the Sun Belt would be to expand 14-16 teams and have a championship game. And I would support a move if that happens.

Mountaineer
August 4th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing ASU in the Sun Belt if that's how things pan out.

That said, the football here can be of a pretty high caliber. Not SEC stuff, but certainly on par with what you'll find in the Sun Belt, MAC and new WAC. And we do it all with 22 less scholarships.

Sorry if I came off as snippy, but we're a pretty knowledgeable group here at AGS and to have someone from the SB show up (with admittedly little knowledge of the subdivision), and post like we're a bunch of yokels who should be enamored ain't gonna fly. xthumbsupx

Apphole
August 4th, 2011, 07:43 PM
I don't think we are "above" the sunbelt. I do think that we could immediately compete for a conference title.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 4th, 2011, 07:44 PM

Marshall & Boise for that matter didn't. They were National contenders in FCS and moved up and dominated. That is about the level that App. may now be at. I think they would challenge the top of the Sunbelt right away.

There were 3 FCS conferences rated above the SB last season.

With that said I just can't see why they would think that a move to the SB is a move up in any way. It would cost them a whole lot more but acting like there is some recognition factor is just not there for me.

The game is on TV more often...good enough, who sees it? The ratings are dismal and that's fine because your fans are the ones that are watching it. That's all that matter to me is that I can see my team play anyway.

I couldn't care less that anybody not a fan of my team sees it. As I said earlier Troy State is cool by me but it is not the financial situation I would want my school to be in. Too much money outlay by the students for the reuturn you get in being on TV for the masses to see.

Just from my perspective I have more respect for the SoCon champ than I do for the SB champ.

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Sun Belt teams normally play 2 or 3 out of four OOC games against SEC teams every season, which hurts our records and thus our Sagarin.

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Look i'm not here to get in an argument with the entire board. I'm not going to win that fight here because none of you agree with me. Just like when FCS fans come to FBS boards.

But the people on here who turn their noses up at the Sun Belt are just wrong. Agree or not, you are wrong.

I am here because I want to watch more FCS ball and this is the place to learn. Let's just move past this since we aren't going to agree on this topic.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 4th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I should have hit "refresh" before posting.xlolx

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 07:53 PM
and btw, we dropped the "State." I protested against it while I was enrolled, but since that's how it is, would you please refer to us by the proper name?

citdog
August 4th, 2011, 07:57 PM
and btw, we dropped the "State." I protested against it while I was enrolled, but since that's how it is, please refer to us by the proper name.

Ok. DOUCHEBAG

ursus arctos horribilis
August 4th, 2011, 08:01 PM
No, I don't mind you using 1AA (I kinda prefer it) if you don't mind me using Troy State. It was a cool name and you can mark my words I know the name Troy is cool all by itself as well for an individual.xthumbsupx

You are Troy State to me. If you want to see it as disrespect I don't care but it is not my intention.

I've watched your team move from D2 into FCS and then on to FBS so I've been around the block in this whole thing and I'm not gonna be told what I should and should not respect. If you need any information on your programs history I'll be happy to help you out though.

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 08:03 PM
it doesn't bother me if you use it, it's just normally used as an insult when I read it on a board. if that's not your intention it's cool.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 4th, 2011, 08:06 PM
ya know what guys i'm just gonna run. it was nice meeting all of you and I'll be back on another night, but tonight is apparently just not my night around here and i'm gonna take my leave.

have a nice evening.

Citdog is always that way. We all have to tolerate him equally my man. Don't use him as the overally guage but instead use my reasoned response as your litmus test.:D

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 08:06 PM
as for citdog, I don't like you. so I'm not going to respond to you anymore.

I like your program and I hope they do well, but you're just a jerk so I'm not going to talk to you anymore.

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 08:07 PM
ursus, you need to click refresh more often bud. :p

ursus arctos horribilis
August 4th, 2011, 08:07 PM
it doesn't bother me if you use it, it's just normally used as an insult when I read it on a board. if that's not your intention it's cool.

Honestly, I use it out of respect for what I know of the program's history. God's honest truth there brother.

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 08:08 PM
is there a function on here I can use to block citdog?

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Honestly, I use it out of respect for what I know of the program's history. God's honest truth there brother.

that's cool man. like i said I was involved in the student protests to keep it. UAB fans use it to insult us, I never see it otherwise so I thought that was your intention as well.

thank you for the comments of respect.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 4th, 2011, 08:10 PM

I like your program and I hope they do well, but you're just a jerk so I'm not going to talk to you anymore.
I've rarely seen it put this eloquently.xlolx

citdog
August 4th, 2011, 08:10 PM

That was more fun than I have had with an AGS Knob in a LONG TIME!

What are your feelings on lunch?

Cops?

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 08:12 PM
cool, found the ignore function. now I don't have to read his crap. hooray for me!

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 08:12 PM

that's that Troy journalism degree for ya. ;)

ursus arctos horribilis
August 4th, 2011, 08:13 PM
is there a function on here I can use to block citdog?

When you go into your profile it's under "ignore" user or something. I've used it but would have to go look for it and you'll probably find it before I get there anyway.

citdog
August 4th, 2011, 08:18 PM

Ursus I'm telling you I was seriously considering dbacking our new friend but then he went and insulted me. You know how sensitive and delicate I am. I have been jilted, sir, JILTED.

crossfire07
August 4th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Sun Belt teams normally play 2 or 3 out of four OOC games against SEC teams every season, which hurts our records and thus our Sagarin.

Beating them would help your rating. Maybe one day huh

ursus arctos horribilis
August 4th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Hey BTH, this may just be a temporary thing with citdog. Sometimes he feels a little besmirched and goes overboard. He will grow on ya over time. I'm sure he'd say the same thing if his feeling weren't hurt right now.

tarmac
August 4th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Sunbelt is definitely improving with the new facilities coming online.

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 09:04 PM
several of our membership was FCS less than 15 years ago, which has hurt our reputation in the FBS.

Mountaineer
August 4th, 2011, 09:06 PM
several of our membership was FCS less than 15 years ago, which has hurt our reputation in the FBS.

I'd say playing *****ty football does more harm than being FCS at one point. That's my take anyway.

Apphole
August 4th, 2011, 09:09 PM
I'd say playing *****ty football does more harm than being FCS at one point. That's my take anyway.

Yeah that's right. Winning gets you respect and renown, that is all. A concept that is missed by alot on this website.

AppMan
August 4th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Kiss my Confederate Cock. if you read the thread your own people even said that your 'chancellor', as a Jew that title makes me nervous, should have kept his cockholster shut. I have FORGOTTEN more about our Second American Revolution than you will ever know. You can't even quote Marse Bob correctly. I used to actually like app, even journeyed to the scene of Bragg's greatest failure to see them play in the championship game but this whole attitude that y'all are now too good for the rest of us rubs me the wrong way. This whoie new batch of bandwagon jumpers has to be as embarrasing to long time yosef's as it is for you when you look down as you squat to take a leak. If peacock has an issue with the two FCS schools that appear on your schedule after the VPI game perhaps he should walk over and discuss those games being scheduled with charlie cobb as he, and no one else, is responsible for them being on your schedule in the first place.

Thank you for making my point so beautifully. If I have misquoted someone then by all means please correct me Mr. second coming of Shelby Foote. BTW, I've been a Yosef Club member since 1979 so you are talking to one of those old guys. I enjoy our trips to the low country and am so looking forward to October 15 for the 10th in a row Cadet Kicking at Johnson Haygood. In fact I am looking forward to this game so much we have decided to be on the coast the entire week playing golf and eating seafood in preparation for big butt whooping. I would invite you to join us, but I wouldn’t want to drag you away from your day job at CSA Galleries.

AppMan
August 4th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I wouldn't expect anything to be announced today.

Peacock is going on a retreat with 50 other University Presidents with the NCAA along with an ASU faculty representative next weekend.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Latest+News/2011/July/List+of+attendees+for+presidential+retreat

Would love to be a fly on the wall for the board meeting today and Peacock's conversations next week... but, I doubt we hear much of what is discussed.

Somebody made a huge mistake. Why invite a CEO from a no tradition, bottom feeder school like ASU when they could have had Lt Gen John W. Rosa of FCS power The Citadel?

AppMan
August 4th, 2011, 09:39 PM
With my first post here on AGS.com I would like to say that I hope App State receives an invitation to join the Sun Belt Conference. the Mountaineers are the only FCS program I personally support moving up and joining the Belt. here's to you guys!

The recently released 2011 Phil Steele FCS Football Preview has a Sports Network Featured Section written by FCS Executive Director Craig Haley.

"The climate at Appalachian State is more receptive to moving up to the FBS, something university administration decided against doing in 1998. The Mountaineers eventually won three straight FCS national championships (actually only two as the first was 1-AA) from 2005-07, and is in the midst of six straight Southern Conference Championship titles, so the decision has paid off handsomely in admissions and prestige for the university. Unlike Villanova, the Mountaineers are one of the bigger draws in the FCS, having led the division in average attendance this past season (25,715) and three of the past four seasons. There's almost a what-else-can-we-do feeling across the campus town in Boone, NC. App State is the most ready FCS program for the jump to FBS - as much as it would be a great loss for the FCS."

GlassOnion
August 4th, 2011, 09:56 PM
The biggest reason I support the jump is the possibility of playing ECU and Marshall again. I'd like GSU to be in there as well, but the first two outweigh the entire Socon schedule for me. The sunbelt just doesnt do it for me.

crossfire07
August 4th, 2011, 09:57 PM
SO, what come out of this meeting: Appalachian FBS committee meets 8-4-11 ?

citdog
August 4th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Thank you for making my point so beautifully. If I have misquoted someone then by all means please correct me Mr. second coming of Shelby Foote. BTW, I've been a Yosef Club member since 1979 so you are talking to one of those old guys. I enjoy our trips to the low country and am so looking forward to October 15 for the 10th in a row Cadet Kicking at Johnson Haygood. In fact I am looking forward to this game so much we have decided to be on the coast the entire week playing golf and eating seafood in preparation for big butt whooping. I would invite you to join us, but I wouldn’t want to drag you away from your day job at CSA Galleries.

Have you applied for your permit to move freely about my city? PM me and I'll send the paperwork to you. Thanks for comparing me to Mr. Foote. I only hope that someday my minor work on The Cause may be mentioned in the same breath as his Narrative. You already corrected the error in your siggy I was speaking of. If you read carefully I rarely mince words if I wanted to call you a bandwagon fan I would have done so. I would love to see you and play some golf and eat some of the shellfish that I AM warned us against. Sadly Senator McConnell closed his gallery but I will give you the Secessionville Battlefield Tour free of charge, a RARE thing for a Jew to say, and show you the siege lines which still exist and take you to Morris Island to see the remains of Batteries Gregg and Wagner.

citdog
August 4th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Somebody made a huge mistake. Why invite a CEO from a no tradition, bottom feeder school like ASU when they could have had Lt Gen John W. Rosa of FCS power The Citadel?

General Rosa wouldn't be caught dead with 50 limp wristed commie college presidents.

AppMan
August 4th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Have you applied for your permit to move freely about my city? PM me and I'll send the paperwork to you. Thanks for comparing me to Mr. Foote. I only hope that someday my minor work on The Cause may be mentioned in the same breath as his Narrative. You already corrected the error in your siggy I was speaking of. If you read carefully I rarely mince words if I wanted to call you a bandwagon fan I would have done so. I would love to see you and play some golf and eat some of the shellfish that I AM warned us against. Sadly Senator McConnell closed his gallery but I will give you the Secessionville Battlefield Tour free of charge, a RARE thing for a Jew to say, and show you the siege lines which still exist and take you to Morris Island to see the remains of Batteries Gregg and Wagner.

Good to see you have a sense of humor. I apologize for the typo in the quote. I cringed as soon as I saw it and hastily moved to correct it. As much as I respect Mr. Foote’s knowledge, he had a tendency to be a tad too apologetic for the Confederacy on occasions. It kills me to hear CSA has closed as it was one of my required stops. Since the wallet cannot satisfy my desire of owning original Mort Kuntsler oil the gallery allowed me to take in his magnificent work up close and personal. We will be in Garden City most of the week then traveling to The Holy City on Thursday, lodging at the Mills House. Since I have never taken the time to tour Ft Sumter it is my goal to do this time down. As far as golf is concerned, our hope is to get on the Ocean Course at Kiawah, but we may have to "settle" for Wild Dunes or Patriots Point. I'm not too fond of Hyman's tourist trap (hope that doesn't insult you since it is a Jewish establishment), preferring RB's at Shim Creek. I was heartbroken the couple of years it was shut down after the fire. I would very much like to meet with you and put a face with the name. As for our little running debate, I’ll keep serving ‘em up and you keep hitting ‘em back. My only request is you smile as you are ripping me. Some may say I am a prude, but I don’t like the male anatomy references. In my view it is beneath a Southern Gentleman and representative of The Cause. But that’s just me.

AppMan
August 4th, 2011, 11:12 PM
General Rosa wouldn't be caught dead with 50 limp wristed commie college presidents.

While he may not be as gruff as your Kommandant Klink, Peacock is by no means a "limp wristed commie". Who cares if he hasn’t been through basic training, all I know is he is leading ASU out of FCS and the SmallCon.

frozennorth
August 4th, 2011, 11:50 PM

If Army and navy were wanted to be in a conference, they would already be in the acc or bigeast.

appfan2008
August 5th, 2011, 06:40 AM
well as far as i can tell and after checking goasu.com this morning i see no mention of the meeting yesterday... sure would be nice if they would tell us what happened or that it was held at least...

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 5th, 2011, 07:00 AM

Elite FCS would be immediately competitive in the Sun Belt. The SBC has a practically even record against the SLC, who hasn't exactly been the strongest league.

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 07:14 AM
the Sun Belt has a few teams at the bottom who would certainly get run over by the top teams in FCS, but Troy, MTSU, FIU, and stAte would not be one of those teams.

I would LOVE to watch App State come to TROY and see how that panned out. I respect the hell out of the Mountaineers and am a big fan.

Saint3333
August 5th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Burn the horse is being very polite right now taking this crap. I enjoy the perspective he brings, the Sun Belt is improving anyone can see that.

TwoFeathers
August 5th, 2011, 09:33 AM
well it's the truth. I'm a big Mountaineer fan, so much so that I want them in the Belt. however, I think it is foolish and obsurd to repeatedly talk like that is a legitimate possibility.

Wow, Burn the Horse loves stirring the pot...

DG Cowboy
August 5th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Will App State actually decline in prestige by moving up? Look at Marshall. They dominate 1-AA to some extent, move up, and have to recruit against the big boys on the block. Where are they now? App gets all the hard-playing tweeners who can be elite in FCS. Will those guys be able to handle CUSA? If App goes Sun Belt, I honestly think they will be weakening their program. I certainly wish App the best, no matter what, but these thoughts just crossed my mind.
Lots of thoughts cross my mind. Sometimes the head-on collisions are spectacular.

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Wow, Burn the Horse loves stirring the pot...

TwoFeathers, you quoted a previous post of mine but it doesn't show that I was refering to C-USA not being a legitimate goal. I think App State would do fine in the Sun Belt after a few seasons to adjust to the higher level of overall play.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 5th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Burn the horse is being very polite right now taking this crap. I enjoy the perspective he brings, the Sun Belt is improving anyone can see that.

Totally agree and his belief is different mine so I don't mind that some of it looks like pure crap from my point of view. That goes both ways I'm sure. He seems to be a pretty logical, yet ill informed on some aspects of this debate. No reason he should be as informed on it because I doubt there is much need for an already FBS team to discuss the pluses and minuses. I like the kid's style.

appfan2008
August 5th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Will App State actually decline in prestige by moving up? Look at Marshall. They dominate 1-AA to some extent, move up, and have to recruit against the big boys on the block. Where are they now? App gets all the hard-playing tweeners who can be elite in FCS. Will those guys be able to handle CUSA? If App goes Sun Belt, I honestly think they will be weakening their program. I certainly wish App the best, no matter what, but these thoughts just crossed my mind.
Lots of thoughts cross my mind. Sometimes the head-on collisions are spectacular.

Couldnt agree more... i see sun belt as a step sideways from elite fcs to low level fbs... my 2 cents

cannonballgsu
August 5th, 2011, 02:15 PM
So did the committee meet and just not release the information?

eagle07
August 5th, 2011, 03:14 PM
What i figure, is that they do not want to put out yet another statement after another meeting basically saying they are in the same place in their decision making process. My guess what happened in the meeting was something like "well its good to see everyone again, now lets get down to business"... "we all agree to come out of this meeting saying we do not have enough information so that we can come back and eat these delicous trays of assorted cookies and finger sandwiches again in a few weeks"..... "All in favor?"...."Meeting adjourned".......

ursus arctos horribilis
August 5th, 2011, 03:29 PM
What i figure, is that they do not want to put out yet another statement after another meeting basically saying they are in the same place in their decision making process. My guess what happened in the meeting was something like "well its good to see everyone again, now lets get down to business"... "we all agree to come out of this meeting saying we do not have enough information so that we can come back and eat these delicous trays of assorted cookies and finger sandwiches again in a few weeks"..... "All in favor?"...."Meeting adjourned".......

xlolx

They don't have anything new to really consider except maybe sort some drilling down on a few aspects and so forth. I don't know what we would be expecting them to say?

Until they have a covert type of nod of the head from an FBS they probably won't have a lot to say...and why would they? You don't come out and poison the FCS well without having the FBS well to go to.

I do imagine that some of their conversation went like this though:

"There are also fine points we really need to look into that ursus brought up on AGS over the past couple months.":D

crossfire07
August 5th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I would LOVE to watch App State come to TROY and see how that panned out. I respect the hell out of the Mountaineers and am a big fan.

All it takes is a phone call and money!

ursus arctos horribilis
August 5th, 2011, 03:56 PM
All it takes is a phone call and money!

Which is why it won't happen. It would cost too much to have App come in and take a real chance of them beating them at home and setting them back.

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 04:29 PM
hey if App is interested in coming down to Dixie and proving they are better we welcome the challenge, but I doubt you are going to see the Troy AD pay App State when there are plenty of in-state FCS teams looking to prove their metal. the last one we let come inside the Walls (Alabama State) got trounced and sent home with a sore bottom. xtroublex

T-Dog
August 5th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I got a feeling even if there is something, it won't be announced until after the season so we can be eligible for the playoffs and conference title.

And IIRC, last time we played Troy we went down there and knocked them out in the first round of the playoffs in 2000.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 5th, 2011, 04:37 PM
hey if App is interested in coming down to Dixie and proving they are better we welcome the challenge, but I doubt you are going to see the Troy AD pay App State when there are plenty of in-state FCS teams looking to prove their metal. the last one we let come inside the Walls (Alabama State) got trounced and sent home with a sore bottom. xtroublex

Most of the good FCS schools are getting $500-750K to play big FBS and in the range of 300-400K from the lower tier FBS schools. That's why these things are tough to work out because a school like Troy kinda needs to find the FCS schools that don't make a boatload of money on their own home games and the money is good enough for them to go there. The lower tier FBS usually needs to stay with the lower tier of FCS to make the money right.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 5th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I got a feeling even if there is something, it won't be announced until after the season so we can be eligible for the playoffs and conference title.

And IIRC, last time we played Troy we went down there and knocked them out in the first round of the playoffs in 2000.

2000 App's were one hell of a unit.

Burn, don't even look up the score for the last time Troy played Montana.

AppMan
August 5th, 2011, 04:51 PM
the Sun Belt has a few teams at the bottom who would certainly get run over by the top teams in FCS, but Troy, MTSU, FIU, and stAte would not be one of those teams.

Unlike some ASU and FCS fans I have a great respect for Troy and what they have accomplished in a relatively short amount of time. It amazes me why so many FCS folks want to run down the Sun Belt. So what if it's not the BCS. It is a great level of football for schools our size. Even though we lost to you guys in 2000 it was one of the best games I've ever seen played in KBS. A good friend knows your former DC Wayne "Lighting" Bolt from their days at ECU, so during the Friday walk through I introduced myself and we spent quite a bit of time talking about their move up. It was interesting to hear him say after seeing the ASU campus and facilities, if Troy could make the jump there was no reason ASU couldn't. Hard to believe that was 11 years ago. I've been to Troy several times and think your stadium expansion is a model ASU should have followed. Always wanted to get on that campus golf course. Best of luck to you guys. I hope we have some games down the road.

AppMan
August 5th, 2011, 04:55 PM

That is true, but they spanked us at home in early 2000. The series was a draw.

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Unlike some ASU and FCS fans I have a great respect for Troy and what they have accomplished in a relatively short amount of time. It amazes me why so many FCS folks want to run down the Sun Belt. So what if it's not the BCS. It is a great level of football for schools our size. Even though we lost to you guys in 2000 it was one of the best games I've ever seen played in KBS. A good friend knows your former DC Wayne "Lighting" Bolt from their days at ECU, so during the Friday walk through I introduced myself and we spent quite a bit of time talking about their move up. It was interesting to hear him say after seeing the ASU campus and facilities, if Troy could make the jump there was no reason ASU couldn't. Hard to believe that was 11 years ago. I've been to Troy several times and think your stadium expansion is a model ASU should have followed. Always wanted to get on that campus golf course. Best of luck to you guys. I hope we have some games down the road.

I appreciate your words. I too would like to see our two programs play again. I will go a step further and say that I would like to see an annual match-up, regardless of division. I think a TROY vs. App State game would be an outstanding game every time, and one I would be willing to travel to Boone to see every other year.

Cocky
August 5th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Why don't you load up your Trojans and head to Boone if so sure of a win.
We've offered to play you with a home and home but Troy wouldn't take the anywhere, anytime, anybody motto. It's only good on billboards until someone calls your hand.

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Why don't you load up your Trojans and head to Boone if so sure of a win.
We've offered to play you with a home and home but Troy wouldn't take the anywhere, anytime, anybody motto. It's only good on billboards until someone calls your hand.

why on earth would we come to JSU? we left your second rate program in the dust when we moved up and you stayed put. If you think for a second that TROY is "scared" to play you and THAT is why we refused a home and home series then you should trot on over to www.gotroytrojans.com and jump in the mix. You'll probably get laughed right back out the door.

we refused a home and home series with the Gamecocks because yall are a joke. we don't travel to FCS programs, they come to us.

we don't even think about JSU anymore. we don't consider you a rival in any capacity. Our rivals are fellow FBS programs.

So don't come on here trying to talk smack about my program because this is an FCS board, frankly it's laughable.

xlolx

Cocky
August 5th, 2011, 09:44 PM
why on earth would we come to JSU? we left your second rate program in the dust when we moved up and you stayed put. If you think for a second that TROY is "scared" to play you and THAT is why we refused a home and home series then you should trot on over to www.gotroytrojans.com and jump in the mix. You'll probably get laughed right back out the door.

we refused a home and home series with the Gamecocks because yall are a joke. we don't travel to FCS programs, they come to us.

we don't even think about JSU anymore. we don't consider you a rival in any capacity. Our rivals are fellow FBS programs.

So don't come on here trying to talk smack about my program because this is an FCS board, frankly it's laughable.

xlolx
Troy put up the billboards not JSU, App or any other FCS school. Don't talk the talk if not going to back it up.
Top FCS programs will not be coming to Troy anytime soon.
You won't see JSU coming to Troy either. JSU isn't going to do an away only series with any lesser or equal program.

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Top FCS programs will not be coming to Troy anytime soon.
You won't see JSU coming to Troy either. JSU isn't going to do an away only series with any lesser or equal program.

if you think you are our equal you are dillusional Cocky.

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 09:47 PM
JSU is an afterthought among our fans. Infact, until you just posted that weak smack just a few minutes ago I forgot your team even existed.

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 09:48 PM
TROY is in no way concerned about Jacksonville State. we don't lose recruits to you, we don't lose media coverage to you, hell we don't lose ANYTHING to you. I couldn't tell you the last time I heard your program even mentioned in this state.

citdog
August 5th, 2011, 09:48 PM
if you think you are our equal you are dillusional Cocky.

Which SEC team has troy state defeated?

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 09:50 PM
be proud of your program and enjoy going to the games, that is what it is all about. just don't come on here trying to say we are scared to play you, because that just isn't true. if your AD came and offered us a game in Troy we'd probably take it, along with the W. we'd send yall home with sore bottoms just like we did Alabama State and we'd laugh all the way to the New Orleans Bowl.

you have a pretty good band though. almost as good as The Sound of the South.

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 09:52 PM

that would be Mississippi State. we've also knocked off #17 Missouri and Oklahoma State. how about you guys?

oh yeah, don't forget we have 5 consecutive Sun Belt titles and several bowl victories.

Cocky
August 5th, 2011, 09:53 PM

Miss State

Cocky
August 5th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Citdog don't worry about them they only come and run their mouth when they are for sure not playing you anytime, anyplace. It is easy to talk big and bad when you don't have to back it up.

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Citdog don't worry about them they only come and run their mouth when they are for sure not playing you anytime, anyplace. It is easy to talk big and bad when you don't have to back it up.

Cocky, do you REALLY think yall would beat us? smack aside, I want to know the truth. tell me why if you do, because I don't see it.

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 09:58 PM
I'm not the least bit afraid of JSU brother. I would LOVE to play yall again, at our house or maybe even in Montgomey once the new stadium is finished up there. we aren't going to come to your house because we don't travel to FCS locations. I can't think of any FBS team off the top of my head that has done that recently.

Cocky
August 5th, 2011, 09:59 PM
I don't think we would lose. Talent

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 10:00 PM
I don't think we would lose. Talent

we have talent too big guy, and a LOT of it.

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 10:02 PM
in fact we are putting guys in the NFL every single season, and they are starters...not just roster guys.

GSU EAGLES
August 5th, 2011, 10:03 PM
that would be Mississippi State. we've also knocked off #17 Missouri and Oklahoma State. how about you guys?

oh yeah, don't forget we have 5 consecutive Sun Belt titles and several bowl victories.

You mean the 2004 Missouri team that went 5-6 and the 2007 Ok state team that went 6-6 in the regular season? I thought the option proposed was win a national championship or beat a top 25 BCS team. Troy did not win a national championship when they were FCS and the have 0% chance in the FBS and you guys have not managed to beat a top 25 team. You are pretty much screwed.

Cocky
August 5th, 2011, 10:05 PM
I'm not the least bit afraid of JSU brother. I would LOVE to play yall again, at our house or maybe even in Montgomey once the new stadium is finished up there. we aren't going to come to your house because we don't travel to FCS locations. I can't think of any FBS team off the top of my head that has done that recently.
I don't think your coming to JSU either. JSU won't be coming to Troy anytime soon unless we go FBS. I can't think of any FBS going to FCS either. That why a lower level FBS (Troy, ULM, Ohio) vs a top level FCS (App, JMU, Montana) will not be played anytime soon.

But if you think Troy would walk over a top level FCS team you are mistaken. The talent level is close to equal even sometimes better at the FCS school. Troy would win its share but would lose some too.

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I'm not going to get in to which division is better to be a part of GSU Eagles. you were just over on the Sun Belt board making your case why we should take your program anyways.

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 10:11 PM
I don't think your coming to JSU either. JSU won't be coming to Troy anytime soon unless we go FBS. I can't think of any FBS going to FCS either. That why a lower lever FBS (Troy, ULM, Ohio) vs a top level FCS (App, JMU, Montana) will not be played anytime soon.

But if you think Troy would walk over a top level FCS team you are mistaken. The talent level is close to equal even sometimes better at the FCS school. Troy would win its share but would lose some too.

show me where I said Troy would walk all over top tier FCS teams, you can't because I haven't said that. You said Troy wouldnt play a home and home with JSU because we were scared and I say you're wrong. We won't come to your place because that isn't something that happens.

now do I think Troy could beat any team in FCS? Yes, yes I do. I think we could win it all. That doesn't mean I think we would stomp every team at the FCS level because there are good teams there. But I do believe we could win the title with the team we have. hell for one we have more players on the roster to begin with! other than that, we have outstanding talent that equals or surpasses most of the teams at your level. But I will never say we would walk all over this division because I can't say that. there are programs at the FCS level I respect a LOT because they deserve that respect.

citdog
August 5th, 2011, 10:21 PM

South Carolina, Arkansas, hudson high, canoe u, chair force and all the teams we played from 1936- forming of I-AA

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 10:22 PM
South Carolina, Arkansas, hudson high, canoe u, chair force and all the teams we played from 1936- forming of I-AA

you know you and Alabama fans have a lot in common. yall both count and boast about victories from the era of radio and the telegraph.

citdog
August 5th, 2011, 10:29 PM
you know you and Alabama fans have a lot in common. yall both count and boast about victories from the era of radio and the telegraph.

Not much tv way back in the 1990's

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 10:30 PM
I'm not going to insult The Citadel because I like the program. I really do. In fact I've already said that. but counting wins as far back as 1936 is stretching it a bit.

citdog
August 5th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I'm not going to insult The Citadel because I like the program. I really do. In fact I've already said that. but counting wins as far back as 1936 is stretching it a bit.

A short history lesson on Division I football would do you a world of good. Every one of those wins was between 1988-1992. The Citadel has been playing football for over a century.

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I was a sports writer for the Tropolitan. not knowing the history of a program at a lower level and miles away does not mean I am not familiar with the game.

citdog
August 5th, 2011, 10:46 PM
you're the one who posted the 1936 year mark. since you don't know me, perhaps you shouldn't make assumptions about my knowledge of the game.

I only answered YOUR question. 1936 is the year we joined the Southern Conference. From then until the formation of I-AA EVERY one of those wins is a DIVISION I win. The same as yours.