PDA

View Full Version : Major news for UND football!!!

darell1976
August 1st, 2011, 03:41 PM
http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/2011/08/01/manic-monday-musings/

The much talked about Indoor Practice Facility seems to be gaining some steam in recent weeks. Apparently, there have been ongoing talks and negotiations with UND and Sanford Health about a large contribution to the project. There potentially could be naming rights involved in the deal and the number being thrown around is in the ballpark of 10 million dollars. This facility would be huge for UND if an announcement is imminent. It would catapult UND with some momentum into the 2012 recruiting season and beyond, as well as the start of Big Sky Conference play next season. This could also have a domino effect for other facility plans in the future. If anyone has seen the designs it will be a top-notch FBS-level facility, similar look to Nebraska or Michigan’s practice facility but with an indoor size track around it capable of holding meets.

xhurrayx

The future facility plans may be getting out of the Alerus into a new upgraded Memorial Stadium with FBS capacity...in case UND wants to make the move, but their lease with the Alerus Center isn't up until 2019.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 1st, 2011, 04:29 PM
Is the name and the BSC issue all ironed out and in UND's favor now? I don't know if I were anywhere involved in the UND program I think I'd make god damn sure that I was in no way mentioning FBS in anything (even future plans) right now.

darell1976
August 1st, 2011, 06:11 PM
Is the name and the BSC issue all ironed out and in UND's favor now? I don't know if I were anywhere involved in the UND program I think I'd make god damn sure that I was in no way mentioning FBS in anything (even future plans) right now.

Here is what is going to happen...IMO of course. August 12th the reps from the state of ND are going to Indy to meet the NCAA face to face and after the meeting the NCAA will tell them their policy stands and back to Bismarck they go to find a way to hurry up and repeal the state law which is NOW in law as of today. UND has then 3 days before the August 15th date (the hostile and abusive deadline) to tell the NCAA they are officially retiring the name and since there is no punishment against the state law, the NCAA will accept that and UND will be in perfect order with the NCAA, and the Big Sky Conference.

DJKyR0
August 1st, 2011, 08:48 PM
Gonna be interesting to see if UND catches as much hell for accepting a Sanford donation as NDSU did. "Lower my medical rates instead of building sports arenas!" etc. etc. FBS-level facility still seems pretty outrageous considering the attendance woes UND has faced recently. Might want to fill up the red-ink shed before you start dreaming of 30,000 asses in seats in a new stadium.

Interesting thing to ponder is what will happen to the Alerus if UND football does move. The thing hemorrhages money as is without losing the revenue (assuming UND football in fact does make money) of three sub-DI home games.

darell1976
August 1st, 2011, 10:28 PM
Gonna be interesting to see if UND catches as much hell for accepting a Sanford donation as NDSU did. "Lower my medical rates instead of building sports arenas!" etc. etc. FBS-level facility still seems pretty outrageous considering the attendance woes UND has faced recently. Might want to fill up the red-ink shed before you start dreaming of 30,000 asses in seats in a new stadium.

Interesting thing to ponder is what will happen to the Alerus if UND football does move. The thing hemorrhages money as is without losing the revenue (assuming UND football in fact does make money) of three sub-DI home games.

They built the Alerus at the wrong time, I remember my parents and then myself continously voting it down to build the thing, then they built that at the same time the REA was built and if UND moves out the AC say goodbye to it. The REA holds basketball, the new Memorial stadium would take care of all the football so the AC would just be an empty shed for meetings. I think attendance should grow once we are in the Big Sky and out of transition. As for Sanford...they may not catch as much hell up there except for the ones that don't go to Altru, I know East Grand Forks has a clinic up there.

NDSUFREAK
August 2nd, 2011, 01:44 PM
wow I really don't get the point of renovating to an FBS type of stadium when attendence is as horrid as it has been...transition or not, it is horrible.

smart to think of moving out to memorial though...after renovations and replacement of the stands I would think. alerus center is as bad as it gets.

TheBisonator
August 2nd, 2011, 02:05 PM
I think they should renovate/rebuild Memorial to seat 12-13,000 seats for now, (It sat like 10,000 in its day), have UND prove they can fill up an outdoor stadium even for November games, tear down the Alerus (It is an embarrassment for the city of Grand Forks, IMO), then in the far future, if the need arises, expand Memorial to seat maybe about 20,000.

Don't go building brand-new 50,000-seat retractable roof stadiums like that wanker on SS.com star2city talks about. I think Memorial is the future of football at UND.

darell1976
August 2nd, 2011, 02:14 PM
I think they should renovate/rebuild Memorial to seat 12-13,000 seats for now, (It sat like 10,000 in its day), have UND prove they can fill up an outdoor stadium even for November games, tear down the Alerus (It is an embarrassment for the city of Grand Forks, IMO), then in the far future, if the need arises, expand Memorial to seat maybe about 20,000.

Don't go building brand-new 50,000-seat retractable roof stadiums like that wanker on SS.com star2city talks about. I think Memorial is the future of football at UND.

This would only be true if Ralph played football and not hockey.

NDSUFREAK
August 2nd, 2011, 02:45 PM
This would only be true if Ralph played football and not hockey.

Oh how different everything would be if this was the case hahahaha

frozennorth
August 2nd, 2011, 03:45 PM
http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/2011/08/01/manic-monday-musings/

xhurrayx

The future facility plans may be getting out of the Alerus into a new upgraded Memorial Stadium with FBS capacity...in case UND wants to make the move, but their lease with the Alerus Center isn't up until 2019.

you have to get UND students to give a damn about their own football team first. Anyway my uncle is a former player/booster and he says there is alot of support for bringing football back on campus, and the parking ramp they built a few years ago is designed to be expanded. It would do way more for attendance than joining the bigsky, which asside from a home game against Montana every few years isn't much of a shift.

I don't know about fbs capacity, but rebuilding the east stands and the filling in a southern' horseshoe' would probably seat around 20k or so, maybe a bit more.

one more edit: how does this compare to what they are building at NDSU? I think it would be pretty strange to build a better football facility at the football-tradition poor hockey school in the small poor hockey town, then they did in the bigger tradition rich football school in the much bigger and wealthier football town. What am I thinking though, UND always finds a way to blow money on things it doesn't need.

gjw007
August 2nd, 2011, 08:40 PM
wow I really don't get the point of renovating to an FBS type of stadium when attendence is as horrid as it has been...transition or not, it is horrible.

smart to think of moving out to memorial though...after renovations and replacement of the stands I would think. alerus center is as bad as it gets.
Right, playing teams like Sioux Falls really excites the fans and makes them want to go see the game. I've never been to the Alerus Center but I don't think its bad from what I've seen. The real problem is that it is built off campus and while not extremely difficult, is still more difficult for on campus students to make the game. If they remodeled the Memorial Stadium as an outdoor stadium, there will be complaints about that as well as people aren't going go to the games to freeze. Maybe NDSU should try playing outdoor games in Fargo in late November; I think you'd see the same results with poor attendance especially if you set it at time of other activities.

bojeta
August 2nd, 2011, 09:10 PM
Right, playing teams like Sioux Falls really excites the fans and makes them want to go see the game. I've never been to the Alerus Center but I don't think its bad from what I've seen. The real problem is that it is built off campus and while not extremely difficult, is still more difficult for on campus students to make the game. If they remodeled the Memorial Stadium as an outdoor stadium, there will be complaints about that as well as people aren't going go to the games to freeze. Maybe NDSU should try playing outdoor games in Fargo in late November; I think you'd see the same results with poor attendance especially if you set it at time of other activities.

I agree, it's always better to have an on campus stadium, but.... when I took a look on Google Earth, I discovered that Alerus is only about 2 blocks further for any student to make the game. It's practically on campus itself.

frozennorth
August 2nd, 2011, 09:53 PM
I agree, it's always better to have an on campus stadium, but.... when I took a look on Google Earth, I discovered that Alerus is only about 2 blocks further for any student to make the game. It's practically on campus itself.

Memorial stadium is across from frat row, in a neighborhood of houses mostly rented to students, 2 blocks from the main quad and about 4 blocks from most of the dorms. The alerus is about 1.5 miles from the heart of campus. while its only 1.5 miles, und students are probablythe drunkest in the country, so that 1.5 miles ends up being quite the walk. As a student, the main reason we didn't go to games was that it was a pain in the *** to get there.

Und and ndsu have had games outside in the past, and cold weather attendence was never a problem. This is north dakota, not maryland. Your brutal winter cold is our pleasent day for a walk. I would love to go back outside, we'd have the best home field advantage in the country

darell1976
August 2nd, 2011, 10:06 PM

Lets not ahead of ourselves now, the article said it would start a domino effect of facilities not the facilities will be built next year. UND is hoping to build the IPF to attract recruits which would really help our competitiveness in the Big Sky, that in turn would boost attendance especially if we are in the playoffs. UND has had good attendances in DII in the Alerus Center playing teams like South Dakota, St. Cloud State, and Texas A&M-Kingsville. I believe in our DII playoff win over UC Davis it was the noise that got to them. Lets see how attendance does starting in 2012 and forward before UND starts FBS conference hunting.

darell1976
August 2nd, 2011, 10:10 PM
Memorial stadium is across from frat row, in a neighborhood of houses mostly rented to students, 2 blocks from the main quad and about 4 blocks from most of the dorms. The alerus is about 1.5 miles from the heart of campus. while its only 1.5 miles, und students are probablythe drunkest in the country, so that 1.5 miles ends up being quite the walk. As a student, the main reason we didn't go to games was that it was a pain in the *** to get there.

Und and ndsu have had games outside in the past, and cold weather attendence was never a problem. This is north dakota, not maryland. Your brutal winter cold is our pleasent day for a walk. I would love to go back outside, we'd have the best home field advantage in the country

This is one reason why I voted it down. Memorial Stadium is a dead on campus stadium, right next door to the old Engelstad Arena so you had Sioux football during the day (no lights at the stadium), and hockey at night...so no scheduling conflicts there. Plus you had free parking, so that helped the pocketbook as well.

citdog
August 2nd, 2011, 11:45 PM
Here is what is going to happen...IMO of course. August 12th the reps from the state of ND are going to Indy to meet the NCAA face to face and after the meeting the NCAA will tell them their policy stands and back to Bismarck they go to find a way to hurry up and repeal the state law which is NOW in law as of today. UND has then 3 days before the August 15th date (the hostile and abusive deadline) to tell the NCAA they are officially retiring the name and since there is no punishment against the state law, the NCAA will accept that and UND will be in perfect order with the NCAA, and the Big Sky Conference.

So basically you cave in to outside pressures in the name of political expediency. Nice lesson for your students. Some things are worth fighting for.

frozennorth
August 3rd, 2011, 04:49 AM
So basically you cave in to outside pressures in the name of political expediency. Nice lesson for your students. Some things are worth fighting for.a dumb nickname is never one of them. How am I supposed to identify my self as a fighting sioux, when I'm not sioux?

frozennorth
August 3rd, 2011, 04:56 AM
Lets not ahead of ourselves now, the article said it would start a domino effect of facilities not the facilities will be built next year. UND is hoping to build the IPF to attract recruits which would really help our competitiveness in the Big Sky, that in turn would boost attendance especially if we are in the playoffs. UND has had good attendances in DII in the Alerus Center playing teams like South Dakota, St. Cloud State, and Texas A&M-Kingsville. I believe in our DII playoff win over UC Davis it was the noise that got to them. Lets see how attendance does starting in 2012 and forward before UND starts FBS conference hunting.

Before I became bored with it, I used to go to lots sioux football games when they were d2. Attendance wasn't much better. The only time I've seen the alerus sold out was the last bison sioux game, 7 or 8 years ago. Also, I believe und's record low attendence was a playoff game against winona state.

Any talk, or even thought, of und playing fbs level football is incredibly premature. I'm not even convinced that und can support fcs football yet.

citdog
August 3rd, 2011, 05:28 AM
a dumb nickname is never one of them. How am I supposed to identify my self as a fighting sioux, when I'm not sioux?

It is the coercion by outside forces of political correctness and the caving into these forces because it's easier than doing what is right. See chamberlain at munich. The GLORIOUS and SOVEREIGN State of South Carolina has learned this the hard way. We lowered, with HONOR, the Battle Flag of our GALLANT Army of Northern Virginia from atop the dome of our State House under pressure from the naacp and other outside agitators who claimed ALL they wanted was for us to remove it from the dome. This SACRED SYMBOL of the BRAVERY of our ancestors who were fighting to preserve that most ancient of American political rights that the power of the government is in the consent of the people was moved to the monument to our Patriot Confederate Dead on the State House grounds and now, going back on their word, these same groups are not satisfied and now clamor for our Flags removal from this HOLY spot. Our State, in keeping with our INDEPENDENT spirit, has now given these groups the big **** you and we HOPE you don't like it. Learn from our mistake, I pray you, and tell these pc fucxkwads where they can go and the consequences be DAMNED.

Gil Dobie
August 3rd, 2011, 05:50 AM

.......and a cold brutal day in North Dakota with the wind blowing is a cold brutal day.

darell1976
August 3rd, 2011, 08:06 AM
So basically you cave in to outside pressures in the name of political expediency. Nice lesson for your students. Some things are worth fighting for.

We don't have a choice...its either retire the name and stay in the Big Sky or keep the name and risk losing everything.

darell1976
August 3rd, 2011, 08:13 AM
Before I became bored with it, I used to go to lots sioux football games when they were d2. Attendance wasn't much better. The only time I've seen the alerus sold out was the last bison sioux game, 7 or 8 years ago. Also, I believe und's record low attendence was a playoff game against winona state.

Any talk, or even thought, of und playing fbs level football is incredibly premature. I'm not even convinced that und can support fcs football yet.

Where have you been prior to 2007?

http://siouxsports.com/football/stadium.htm

In 2004, UND led the nation in total attendance for the second straight year, with 75,110 fans passing through the gates to watch Fighting Sioux football, an average of 9,389 per game.

For the season(2005), more then 100,000 fans turned out to watch the Sioux play at the Alerus, and UND's regular season average attendance of 10,517 was a school record. The previous school record was 9,150 in 1976, when the Sioux drew an estimated 36,600 for four games at Memorial Stadium.

UND's average attendance was also the third-best figure nationally in NCAA Division II for 2001.

UND finished fourth nationally in Division II attendance in 2000, its final season at Memorial Stadium.

http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=736149

In 2008, which was the team's first at the FCS level, fans broke yet another attendance record as the Sioux averaged 10,617 fans for their five home games that season.
10,617 is roughly 78.6% or 86.4% of capacity (13,500 or 12,283 which doesn't include suites and SRO.) <---- Tell me UND cannot get back to that or surpass that with a Big Sky Conference schedule and FCS teams like Central Arkansas, and South Dakota State coming to the Alerus.

citdog
August 3rd, 2011, 08:20 AM
We don't have a choice...its either retire the name and stay in the Big Sky or keep the name and risk losing everything.

Bull****. You can sue the ncaa and dig your heels in and FIGHT

darell1976
August 3rd, 2011, 08:22 AM
Bull****. You can sue the ncaa and dig your heels in and FIGHT

UND did sue and there was a settlement...you can't sue twice for the same thing.

citdog
August 3rd, 2011, 08:33 AM
UND did sue and there was a settlement...you can't sue twice for the same thing.

What was the settlement y'all flying ingloriously from the field like Pope at Second Manassas?

darell1976
August 3rd, 2011, 09:28 AM
What was the settlement y'all flying ingloriously from the field like Pope at Second Manassas?

The settlement was for UND to get 2 Sioux tribes permission by November 30, 2010 (the settlement was in 2007) and in the mean time UND was off of the Hostile and Abusive list. Well UND got only 1 tribe's permission and therefore early this year announced retirement of the name. Well along comes ND Rep. Al Carlson R-Fargo introduced a bill to make it a state law that UND must be known as the Fighting Sioux(law now taking place as of August 1st). The NCAA already said their policy stands despite the bill. The Big Sky Conference comissioner Doug Fullerton said basically drop the name, get NCAA approval or you are out of the Big Sky. So UND has until August 15th to get that done, that is why this delegation from the ND legislature(Rep. Al Carlson's idea and yes he is going), plus members of UND, ND Attny General are going to Indy on August 12th to meet the NCAA face to face to see if they can change their minds. ND Govenor has said after the meeting is done he will have a ruling on what UND should do with the name. So we sit until next Friday.

johnson
August 3rd, 2011, 11:10 AM
Where have you been prior to 2007?

http://siouxsports.com/football/stadium.htm

http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=736149

10,617 is roughly 78.6% or 86.4% of capacity (13,500 or 12,283 which doesn't include suites and SRO.) <---- Tell me UND cannot get back to that or surpass that with a Big Sky Conference schedule and FCS teams like Central Arkansas, and South Dakota State coming to the Alerus.
I'll tell you can't do it with just the Big Sky and a full FCS OOC schedule. One big piece of the puzzle that seems to be forgotten is that fans won't show up unless the school is winning. Things need to get back to the old winning days of Lennon before you can count on fans buying tickets. I would be willing to bet that next year you'll see an increase in numbers simply because it is UND's first season in the Big Sky. If they end up on the losing side too many times 2013 might become another quiet year in the Alerus.

darell1976
August 3rd, 2011, 11:21 AM
I'll tell you can't do it with just the Big Sky and a full FCS OOC schedule. One big piece of the puzzle that seems to be forgotten is that fans won't show up unless the school is winning. Things need to get back to the old winning days of Lennon before you can count on fans buying tickets. I would be willing to bet that next year you'll see an increase in numbers simply because it is UND's first season in the Big Sky. If they end up on the losing side too many times 2013 might become another quiet year in the Alerus.

If history is on UND's side then history will prove that our 3-8 season was a 1 time thing. UND does NOT have a history of losing seasons. Look what NDSU did, 3-8 in 09 to playoffs in 2010.

johnson
August 3rd, 2011, 11:34 AM
If history is on UND's side then history will prove that our 3-8 season was a 1 time thing. UND does NOT have a history of losing seasons. Look what NDSU did, 3-8 in 09 to playoffs in 2010.
I'm not implying that UND will continue to struggle. I am just simply stating that who you have on the schedule won't mean squat unless there are some W's that go with it in the fans eyes.

darell1976
August 3rd, 2011, 11:42 AM
I'm not implying that UND will continue to struggle. I am just simply stating that who you have on the schedule won't mean squat unless there are some W's that go with it in the fans eyes.

Look at our home OOC games...you tell me would you rather see UND play Black Hills State or Montana? Sioux Falls or South Dakota State? Northeastern St (OK), or Central Arkansas? Those names enough will put butts in the seats. We could be 9-0 and if an NAIA team comes up you think people will show?? Not really now if we are 5-5 and Montana or Montana St comes to town it will pack the roof!!

NDSUFREAK
August 3rd, 2011, 12:06 PM

When you have attended an outdoor football game in late november and playoffs in december, you will understand why NDSU plays INSIDE. xcoffeex

Go to the alerus center and you will understand it is not the greatest for football and personally a bad place to watch a game in comparison to other indoor facilities. Football is popular there only when hockey isn't playing. (in grand forks)

darell1976
August 3rd, 2011, 12:27 PM
When you have attended an outdoor football game in late november and playoffs in december, you will understand why NDSU plays INSIDE. xcoffeex

Go to the alerus center and you will understand it is not the greatest for football and personally a bad place to watch a game in comparison to other indoor facilities. Football is popular there only when hockey isn't playing. (in grand forks)

The only local indoor facilities to compare it too are NDSU (Fargodome), USD (Dakotadome), and the Metrodome which is not even a close comparison. The Alerus isn't a bad place, when UND is playing a worthwhile opponent (ex. GWFC teams)...I believe NDSU had problems while up there....0-2 lifetime.

TheBisonator
August 3rd, 2011, 12:36 PM
The only local indoor facilities to compare it too are NDSU (Fargodome), USD (Dakotadome), and the Metrodome which is not even a close comparison. The Alerus isn't a bad place, when UND is playing a worthwhile opponent (ex. GWFC teams)...I believe NDSU had problems while up there....0-2 lifetime.

And I expect it to stay at 0-2, cause I don't see the Bison playing in GF for a VERY LONG TIME.

johnson
August 3rd, 2011, 12:43 PM
Look at our home OOC games...you tell me would you rather see UND play Black Hills State or Montana? Sioux Falls or South Dakota State? Northeastern St (OK), or Central Arkansas? Those names enough will put butts in the seats. We could be 9-0 and if an NAIA team comes up you think people will show?? Not really now if we are 5-5 and Montana or Montana St comes to town it will pack the roof!!
Of course fans want to see the bigger schools come into town. Like I said before the first year in the conference you might see an increase in attendance but if UND falls flat the fair weather fans will disappear again. NDSU saw an average drop of about 3,000 per game after the 6-5 and 3-8 seasons. Those two seasons were the first in the MVFC. Do you think fans wanted to see Mississippi Valley State over Southern Illinois? How about Concordia St. Paul over Northern Iowa? The attendance dropped after one 6-5 season and fell again during the 3-8 disaster. Fair weather fans are fair weather fans. They want to see good competition but most importantly they want to see the W's. If all it took to get fans to show up on saturdays was to schedule the biggest names you can find then all schools would be in the FBS and would all sell their games out. Don't get me wrong better competition helps but it won't sustain the numbers if the season's don't go so well.

johnson
August 3rd, 2011, 12:48 PM
And I expect it to stay at 0-2, cause I don't see the Bison playing in GF for a VERY LONG TIME.
It appears that NDSU will probably be playing in GF in 2016.

No_Skill
August 3rd, 2011, 01:04 PM
It appears that NDSU will probably be playing in GF in 2016.

Why does it appear that way?

johnson
August 3rd, 2011, 01:37 PM
Why does it appear that way?
Just an assumtion after the report of 2014 looking to be the first year the series may start up again. If it does start again in 2014 and is played every other year the game would be held at the Alerus in either 2016 or 2018.

gjw007
August 3rd, 2011, 02:17 PM

Exactly, that is why they built the indoor facilities. By the way, I grew up in East Grand Forks and attended games at the Memorial and the old barn. It may be true that hockey is more popular than football in Grand Forks today but I would argue that is because the Hockey team is highly successful and the football team has played unknown teams during the transition. I believe this will change with conference membership (whether it was the Missouri or BSC). When I attended UND, football (and basketball) was more popular than hockey but then again, the football and basketball teams were successful and well, it was the Rube Bjorkman era for the hockey team (I think they had 2 winning seasons in 10 years). Winning creates interest as NDSU has shown by winning in football. You may forgive a bad year here or there but your expectations are still high.

darell1976
August 3rd, 2011, 06:53 PM
Of course fans want to see the bigger schools come into town. Like I said before the first year in the conference you might see an increase in attendance but if UND falls flat the fair weather fans will disappear again. NDSU saw an average drop of about 3,000 per game after the 6-5 and 3-8 seasons. Those two seasons were the first in the MVFC. Do you think fans wanted to see Mississippi Valley State over Southern Illinois? How about Concordia St. Paul over Northern Iowa? The attendance dropped after one 6-5 season and fell again during the 3-8 disaster. Fair weather fans are fair weather fans. They want to see good competition but most importantly they want to see the W's. If all it took to get fans to show up on saturdays was to schedule the biggest names you can find then all schools would be in the FBS and would all sell their games out. Don't get me wrong better competition helps but it won't sustain the numbers if the season's don't go so well.

I see what you mean. People love winning teams, but if we become the Idaho State of the Big Sky and turn out 1 win seasons it could be a rough post transition.

darell1976
August 11th, 2011, 09:04 PM
http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/2011/08/10/camp-thoughts/

■There continues to be much talk about the Indoor Practice Facility coming to fruition soon. It seems an announcement of some sort is imminent. There are definitely some recruits in the area that would be interested in knowing the facility is going to be built. Also, it won’t be just an Indoor Practice Facility. It would also house the Sioux football locker rooms, state of the art coaches offices, and brand new weight room for the football team. To say this facility would be a game changer for the program is an understatement. You would have to go a long ways to find another one like it at the FCS level. Without doing a ton of research, we only know of two others (Appalachian State and Youngstown State). Central Arkansas has a very simple indoor type facility, nothing like the other two.

Timetable: http://und.edu/athletics/_files/docs/operating-principle-3-1.pdf

In order to address this, men‟s and women‟s track will move to locker rooms in the new indoor practice facility when it opens (FY12), and men‟s and women‟s golf will move into vacated space on-site in the original facility.