PDA

View Full Version : I-AA Football at the Univ of New Orleans

TexasTerror
March 22nd, 2006, 06:01 PM
Came across this web site today in my typical meanderings online. Basically, you have a fan or group of fans who are pushing for football, more specifically, non-scholarship I-AA football at the University of New Orleans (UNO), a current Sun Belt conference member in all sports that it participates.

While Katrina has probably put a stop on any thought out plans, this is a pretty interesting and informative proposal. Some history is provided and it includes how Nicholls St (now a member of the SLC) and UNO were at similar points then Nicholls went the route of getting a intercollegiate football squad while UNO did not.

http://www.angelfire.com/la/uno/unofb.html

Lehigh Football Nation
March 22nd, 2006, 06:17 PM
Interesting info, if a bit stale (last updated June, 2004).

Some context here: I am not sure, but Jim Miller was the AD of the New Orleans Saints before he became the AD at UNO. Strange that he would not be football-friendly, but maybe a lack of money in the athletic department may be a part of the problem.

Being in the Sun Belt would mean that the Privateers would have a lot of pressure to go I-A should they field a team. Football could work with them going into the Pioneer with "mid-major" status, which admittedly could work (with Jacksonville as a sort-or rival not far away).

UNO is probably happy getting their money as a basketball-only I-AAA instutution without having to outlay anything for football, unfortunately.

igo4uni
March 22nd, 2006, 07:17 PM
A road trip to "The Big Easy" to catch a UNI football game sounds pretty good to me!! I'd love to check out New Orleans. Any updates on the progress of the recovery??

TexasTerror
March 22nd, 2006, 07:52 PM
A road trip to "The Big Easy" to catch a UNI football game sounds pretty good to me!! I'd love to check out New Orleans. Any updates on the progress of the recovery??

A long way to go...

Once more places have delivery, longer menus...I'll be set! :)

Could go for more gas stations in Uptown too...

McNeese72
March 22nd, 2006, 08:50 PM
Came across this web site today in my typical meanderings online. Basically, you have a fan or group of fans who are pushing for football, more specifically, non-scholarship I-AA football at the University of New Orleans (UNO), a current Sun Belt conference member in all sports that it participates.

While Katrina has probably put a stop on any thought out plans, this is a pretty interesting and informative proposal. Some history is provided and it includes how Nicholls St (now a member of the SLC) and UNO were at similar points then Nicholls went the route of getting a intercollegiate football squad while UNO did not.

http://www.angelfire.com/la/uno/unofb.html

That is a very old website. I had contact years ago with the UNO fan who I think did the website.

Doc

GeauxLions94
March 23rd, 2006, 12:59 AM
Could go for more gas stations in Uptown too...

Yeah, and in Metairie (at night) too. Barely had enough gas in the car on way back to Slidell after the LSU-Southeastern baseball game :rotateh:

89Hen
March 23rd, 2006, 09:06 AM
the Privateers would have a lot of pressure to go I-A should they field a team. Football could work with them going into the Pioneer
Privateers in the Pioneer? :eyebrow: