PDA

View Full Version : New NCAA celebration rule...is it too far?

darell1976
July 31st, 2011, 04:14 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/328877/

Any show of excessive celebration – which in itself could be a source of debate in referee judgment – will, starting this fall, be a live ball penalty and the ball will be placed at the spot of the infraction.

Are you kidding me??? I hate the NCAA more and more. What's next penalties for praying? xmadx

Willie
July 31st, 2011, 04:21 PM
Greatest celebration in FCS history right here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEaEvn7a0YA&feature=player_profilepage

Wildcat80
July 31st, 2011, 04:53 PM
Who are these guys voting for crap rules like this? I cannot believe one Coach is for this. Crazy.

phoenixphanatic21
July 31st, 2011, 04:58 PM

And what's awful is that, starting this year, that TD wouldn't count because of the penalty. It's an awful rule trying to take all of the emotion out of a game that thrives on that. The worst part is that it will be the calls are still up to the refs. They determine what is "excessive." So celebrations like the following may or may not be allowed and may or may not cancel a touchdown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-qccCuL4nQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG2elnucMPY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y5Uu9NzRrA&feature=related (go to 1:00 mark)

It's awful to think that these little celebrations could cost a team a game now. Incredibly stupid IMO. If you go out of your way a la T.O. or Joe Horn back in the day, fine. But throwing the ball in the air? A salute to your fans in the crowd? Diving into the endzone? That's excessive?

Yea, needless to say I'm not a big fan of the rule...

Gringer1
July 31st, 2011, 05:22 PM
I'm pretty sure this only applies to asinine things like players taunting the other team unnecessarily. Pumping your fist after a score is one thing, high stepping into the endzone to rub it in the other team's face is another.

Grizo406
July 31st, 2011, 05:37 PM

Absolutely, Willie...ABSOLUTELY!!!xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxsalutex

darell1976
July 31st, 2011, 05:37 PM
Then the question is what if the ref calls it excessive for one team but not the other team. Games will be lost on a count of this. I think the best thing to do is if you get a TD immediately go to your bench and celebrate out of the view of the refs. I guess in 31 days we will find out if the Sioux or Drake get a penalty for this crap.

Bogus Megapardus
July 31st, 2011, 05:52 PM
There are certain traditional rivalry games in which it would be insane to enforce such a rule. Players in the Lafayette-Lehigh game regularly taunt the crowd, for chrissake. They always have. The schools' presidents even get involved, with statement to the newspapers the following day. Otherwise we wouldn't have anything to be livid over for the following year.

Sometimes it's best just to leave well enough alone.

DG Cowboy
July 31st, 2011, 06:58 PM
The SLC refs will zap McNeese but good! What happens when the back breaks one and the O Linemen start raising their fingers in the air around the 50 yard line. Oh yeah, the SLC zebs will have a field day.

Henzone
July 31st, 2011, 07:25 PM
The new rule is only making it mandatory to score a TD before you decide to celebrate a TD or it will not count. You can dance, sing, fall on the ground or act as arrogant or stupid as you want after you cross the goalline and it will cost you 15 just like in the past but the score is good.

SFA 71
July 31st, 2011, 07:42 PM
I'm pretty sure this only applies to asinine things like players taunting the other team unnecessarily. Pumping your fist after a score is one thing, high stepping into the endzone to rub it in the other team's face is another.

I agree 100%. It rubs me the wrong way to see the taunting that goes on so much that it's accepted as the norm. Taunting has no place in a game between true sportsmen.xtwocentsx

JALMOND
July 31st, 2011, 07:49 PM
Any celebration penalty is stupid. You don't want the other team to celebrate, don't give them a reason to celebrate. That said, I've seen many instances where these rules are not enforced equally. The officials need to realized that they are also a "team" out there when choosing when to enforce these rules. I've seen many instances where two officials closest to the play signal touchdown, yet a flag is thrown at least 20 yards away from another official who thinks there is excessive celebration going on. If the two closest to the play think it is fine, why should the whole play be subjected to someone totally removed from it. The officials are also a team and they need to act like it.

Tuscon
July 31st, 2011, 07:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-qccCuL4nQ

Or this guy here. Cost UGA the game. What's wrong with a little celebration anyway? It's not unsportsmanlike unless you get up in opposing players faces or something like that. I say if a kid wants to do the worm in the endzone, who are we to say no?

DFW HOYA
July 31st, 2011, 10:09 PM
The new rule is only making it mandatory to score a TD before you decide to celebrate a TD or it will not count. You can dance, sing, fall on the ground or act as arrogant or stupid as you want after you cross the goalline and it will cost you 15 just like in the past but the score is good.

Correct. What the NCAA is trying to avoid is a high-stepping WR beginning his celebration at the 10 yard line. Unnecessary and unsportsmanlike.

If conferences really wanted to clean up the showboating, insert a rule that the player must promptly hand the ball to the official after crossing the goal line.

crossfire07
July 31st, 2011, 10:20 PM
The SLC refs will zap McNeese but good! What happens when the back breaks one and the O Linemen start raising their fingers in the air around the 50 yard line. Oh yeah, the SLC zebs will have a field day.

kind of like in this video when #34 knows its 6 points? I suppose it is a penalty now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9HJhnlHf9Y

darell1976
July 31st, 2011, 10:24 PM
So if the QB throws a bomb and its caught at the 10 yard line he better not raise his hands until its a TD or else its brought back all the way. Stupid rules.

doolittledog
July 31st, 2011, 10:35 PM
I don't believe in showboating and want it out of the game. But this rule is just an invitation for trouble. What if a RB or a WR break off a long run with no one near them and just slow down before they hit the endzone? Is that a penalty?

bojeta
July 31st, 2011, 11:50 PM
As much as I dislike showboating..., I'd rather be able to complain about it myself than have refs impose their "judgement" at will. We see too much inconsistency from them on this. They need to stick to enforcing "play" rules, not "after play" rules.

DFW HOYA
August 1st, 2011, 08:23 AM
College kids see things like this and the NCAA wants to take a stand on it before it gets out of hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLNbfxotfuE

Smitty
August 1st, 2011, 08:47 AM
I don't know how they plan to make this fair between games...

GannonFan
August 1st, 2011, 09:02 AM
If we could guarantee that a ref wouldn't make a mistake on this and call something that for the most part people would never consider taunting, then I'd be fine with the rule. However, just like with the celebration in the end zone, officials have been amazingly dense when it comes to what constitutes a penalty and what doesn't, and the application of the rule has varied greatly. I don't see how, now with the stakes raised (i.e. a score taken off the board) that we think the problem of referees interpreting what is and isn't excessive will magically go away. So pretty much we have the same problem, but now the stakes are higher. Super.

TheDancinMonarch
August 1st, 2011, 09:03 AM
Who are these guys voting for crap rules like this? I cannot believe one Coach is for this. Crazy.

They are people representing teams that never have anything to celebrate.

gophoenix
August 1st, 2011, 09:32 AM
I don't know how they plan to make this fair between games...

The same way many of the penalties have wiggle room for interpretation. How a personal foul in some games isn't one in another.

And this rule is going to affect some teams way more than others anyway.

DG Cowboy
August 1st, 2011, 10:00 AM
The SLC is a proving ground for the Big 12 (but 10) and the WACky now. Several SLC officials moved up to those two this year. My point is the new officials are showing their knowledge and enforcement of the rules on us. Like AA and AAA umps in baseball trying to make the Show.

Tuscon
August 1st, 2011, 10:06 AM
College kids see things like this and the NCAA wants to take a stand on it before it gets out of hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLNbfxotfuE

This is awesome though. How is this even out of hand? Dude just did something great and is happy about it.

Gringer1
August 1st, 2011, 10:30 AM
This is awesome though. How is this even out of hand? Dude just did something great and is happy about it.

You don't need to act like an *** and rub it in the other team's face. By all means, jump up and down and pump your fist in the endzone. Just don't act like an immature child before you even score.

Tuscon
August 1st, 2011, 12:50 PM
I don't know. It didn't seem like it was a negative celebration towards the other team. Plus, it would have been even more funny if one of those guys ended up tackling him before he fell. Only his fault.

I have another question. What about the situation where someone stops at the endzone, and runs horizontal to ride the clock down. It seems kind of in your face, but also has utility.

crossfire07
August 1st, 2011, 05:06 PM
I have another question. What about the situation where someone stops at the endzone, and runs horizontal to ride the clock down. It seems kind of in your face, but also has utility.

I don't think that is classified as a celebration but those refs have their own way of thinking.

JALMOND
August 1st, 2011, 09:34 PM
Correct. What the NCAA is trying to avoid is a high-stepping WR beginning his celebration at the 10 yard line. Unnecessary and unsportsmanlike.

If conferences really wanted to clean up the showboating, insert a rule that the player must promptly hand the ball to the official after crossing the goal line.

Portland State got flagged for just this. A couple years back, our DB intercepted a pass and ran it back for a touchdown. He then turned to the official who was signalling the touchdown to give him the ball. He thought the official had the ball and let it go, but the official was still signalling the TD. The player then gave a chest bump to another teammate. Here came the flag, not for the chest bump, but because the player showed up the official by not waiting for him to take the ball (the ball did fall at the feet of the official). Our radio play by play guy was incredulous with the call. Glanville and Davis both were fined for talking about this in the post game afterwards.

phoenixphanatic21
August 2nd, 2011, 07:31 AM
It's just like Major League Baseball - Everyone loves the human element!

bjtheflamesfan
August 2nd, 2011, 08:19 AM
I don't know. It didn't seem like it was a negative celebration towards the other team. Plus, it would have been even more funny if one of those guys ended up tackling him before he fell. Only his fault.

Interestingly enough...that actually became a touchdown as soon as he extended to do the "Nestea plunge" because the ball broke the plane of the end zone...now I do agree that due to this new rule that sort of thing could then be called back (which would be rather dumb).

bkrownd
August 2nd, 2011, 09:56 PM

WTF?? High-stepping into the endzone is the American way!