PDA

View Full Version : Rank the Stadiums: Ohio Valley Conference

OSRacer
July 29th, 2011, 09:39 AM
In keeping with the discussions of ranking the conference stadiums, today we'll look at the OVC. Here is my take on it. (*disclaimer as TSU plays in the best stadium, but LP Field isn't their facility)

1. TSU - Great Stadium (LP Field) but it is not a great atmosphere for OVC games due to the attendance vs. capacity.
2. JSU - have never been there but saw pics. Looks awesome. Great fan support and band and program.
3. Murray State - Nice facility, but poor attendance takes away from the game day atmosphere. Needs updates and is getting updated. Looking for better attendance this year.
4. EKU - Nice place to play and watch a game. Their tradition and good attendance is getting further in the past every day. Still very solid.
5. Tech - Cool place and very nice campus. Always liked Techs stadium and thought that their program had the opportunity to really grow. They are getting better as well.
6. EIU - Kind of small and old, but decent attendance the best I can recall.
7. SEMO - Small and old but cool atmosphere. They are updating as well.
8. UT Martin - facilities have been upgraded, but more on par with a high school stadium.
9. Austin Peay - Not much to say here...small place, poor attendance. Very small time vibe.

my take on it....

Redbirdz
July 29th, 2011, 10:58 AM
The new Jacksonville State stadium at 24,000 seats and 33 skyboxes plus club level operations is certainly the class of the OVC. Few FCS stadiums are this nice.http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Jacksonville+State+University+football+st adium&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4ADRA_enUS398US398&tbm=isch&tbnid=ykhTJm0YljNjRM:&imgrefurl=http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/teams-stadiums-directory/ohio-valley-conference/jacksonville-state-gamecocks-jsu-stadium/&docid=VRsNV2CxAAA5_M&w=549&h=365&ei=KNMyTsusM8mDtgekv4yCDQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=144&vpy=274&dur=3598&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=164&ty=79&page=2&tbnh=146&tbnw=199&start=17&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:17&biw=1095&bih=785

Redbirdz
July 29th, 2011, 11:01 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/teams-stadiums-directory/ohio-valley-conference/jacksonville-state-gamecocks-jsu-stadium/

Bam
July 29th, 2011, 11:32 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/teams-stadiums-directory/ohio-valley-conference/jacksonville-state-gamecocks-jsu-stadium/

Very nice:

1. JSU
2. EKU
3. TSU
4. SEMO
5. MSU
6. TTU
7. EIU
8. UTM
9. APSU

ekufbfan
July 29th, 2011, 11:32 AM
In keeping with the discussions of ranking the conference stadiums, today we'll look at the OVC. Here is my take on it. (*disclaimer as TSU plays in the best stadium, but LP Field isn't their facility)

1. TSU - Great Stadium (LP Field) but it is not a great atmosphere for OVC games due to the attendance vs. capacity.
2. JSU - have never been there but saw pics. Looks awesome. Great fan support and band and program.
3. Murray State - Nice facility, but poor attendance takes away from the game day atmosphere. Needs updates and is getting updated. Looking for better attendance this year.
4. EKU - Nice place to play and watch a game. Their tradition and good attendance is getting further in the past every day. Still very solid.
5. Tech - Cool place and very nice campus. Always liked Techs stadium and thought that their program had the opportunity to really grow. They are getting better as well.
6. EIU - Kind of small and old, but decent attendance the best I can recall.
7. SEMO - Small and old but cool atmosphere. They are updating as well.
8. UT Martin - facilities have been upgraded, but more on par with a high school stadium.
9. Austin Peay - Not much to say here...small place, poor attendance. Very small time vibe.

my take on it....

Hah! EKU RK stadium needs some work, but no way is it lower in rank than Murray's. Don't let your pre season finish prediction go to your head. Always amazes me how Murray's basketball "tradtions" is always that, but mention football tradition at EKU an it always trivalized by others. BTW EKU vs MSU: It's EKU 45-25-4. We won last year, your last win was 2004. As far as attendance is concerned it sucks at both schools.

Bam
July 29th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Hah! EKU RK stadium needs some work, but no way is it lower in rank than Murray's. Don't let your pre season finish prediction go to your head. Always amazes me how Murray's basketball "tradtions" is always that, but mention football tradition at EKU an it always trivalized by others. BTW EKU vs MSU: It's EKU 45-25-4. We won last year, your last win was 2004. As far as attendance is concerned it sucks at both schools.

Speak the truth!! No seats for the visitors side is so pitiful.

OSRacer
July 29th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Not trying to trivialize EKU's tradition. It is much better than Murray State and every other team in the conference. However, it has been a long time since EKU football was relevant. Murray has a nicer stadium, not bigger but it is a better facility. I do not like the one sided thing either.....but SEMO over Murray? Please stop.

ekufbfan
July 29th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Okay I have been to Murray numerous times and I cannot see how on earth you think Murray's is better. Actually, looking at a shopping center and parking lot across the street does nothing for game day "atmosphere". And I assume the track is still around the field? That does not help. Actually both EKU and MSU needs work, both built to maximize funding and needing to be brought up to date. I recall just last year your fans talking aboout how your stadium was crumbling away, parts were closed off??just saying.....

However, it has been a long time since EKU football was relevant So just what does that say about the relevancy of your program?

Bam
July 29th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Not trying to trivialize EKU's tradition. It is much better than Murray State and every other team in the conference. However, it has been a long time since EKU football was relevant. Murray has a nicer stadium, not bigger but it is a better facility. I do not like the one sided thing either.....but SEMO over Murray? Please stop.

Please you have not been to the mecca they call the Cape? There is a bar just steps outside the gates of this stadium(?)! Can you top that?

ekufbfan
July 29th, 2011, 12:07 PM
1. TSU
2. JSU
3. EKU
4. MSU
5. TTU

from there a toss up

OSRacer
July 29th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Good point on the bar, Bam....I may need to reevaluate my rankings..

and EKUfbfan, Murray State has been a doormat for many years no doubt about it.

jmufan999
July 29th, 2011, 12:10 PM
I really would like these threads a lot more if there were pictures.

dgtw
July 29th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I don't think its right to include TSU's in these rankings any more than Georgia State's in the CAA thread. Its an NFL stadium they get to use.

ekufbfan
July 29th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I agree...however it is where they play. If you had ever been to TSU's on campus "stadium", you would know why they don't play there!

TTUEagles
July 29th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I agree...however it is where they play. If you had ever been to TSU's on campus "stadium", you would know why they don't play there!

Amen! IF you ever played at Hale Stadium you'd know what word they left out in front of the nickname "The Hole" - I'm sure back in the '70's & 80's it was a helluva home field advantage - just wasn't taken care of, I guess.

TTUEagles
July 29th, 2011, 12:35 PM
1. JSU - I haven't been there but, I rank this from seeing the pictures. I'd like to go this year, since Nov. of 2010, we own them.
2. EKU - I like the double-decked stadium that seems so "in your face" - couldv'e done without the visitor fans right on top of you, throwing things
3. TSU - NFL stadium but, even as a Titans fan, really nothing special compared to other NFL venues built after that...Ranked #3 for me, due to atmosphere on OVC game days.
4. Murray
5. UT-Martin - about 15 years ago, was HORRBILE - they've done a great job renovating
6. TTU - I guess put here by default - I think it's better than the lower ones on MY list...Still need better than the queer looking press box(es). Have nicely upgraded recently
7. SEMO - Would like to see it with upgrades, was very bad also, about 15 years ago (my last time there)
8. EIU - sorry, hasn't done much for me - I would think a program with that much tradition could do better
9. APSU - wow. A university plays here/there??? I've heard that a lot.

ekufbfan
July 29th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Good point on the bar, Bam....I may need to reevaluate my rankings..

and EKUfbfan, Murray State has been a doormat for many years no doubt about it.

Doormat? Your words not mine. I would not say that at all.
It riles this EKU fan when we are well aware that our program is not what it once was, and others 'insinuate' we are done once and for all, on our way down and out while other OVC teams who win ONE conf championship every now and then (not talking JSU here) somehow are on the rise. No EKU fan likes what has happened to our program, but although we have suffered big on the national scene we have always been in the OVC mix and to indicate otherwise is incorrect. Is that good enough at EKU? NO!
Looks like MSU has it back on tract this year. EKU plays at both JSU and MSU this season. Making our OVC path more difficult. I hope that Hood has made the changes that will get the offense moving. The defense has been a strength, but you have to score points. I hope we now understand this and as well as throwing the ball you gotta be able to run. New OC told fans last night at the EKU football rally that we were returning to running the ball (as well as passing), our bread and butter under Coach Kidd! So maybe we have been under estimated for 2011, we will see.

OSRacer
July 29th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Doormat? Your words not mine. I would not say that at all.
It riles this EKU fan when we are well aware that our program is not what it once was, and others 'insinuate' we are done once and for all, on our way down and out while other OVC teams who win ONE conf championship every now and then (not talking JSU here) somehow are on the rise. No EKU fan likes what has happened to our program, but although we have suffered big on the national scene we have always been in the OVC mix and to indicate otherwise is incorrect. Is that good enough at EKU? NO!
Looks like MSU has it back on tract this year. EKU plays at both JSU and MSU this season. Making our OVC path more difficult. I hope that Hood has made the changes that will get the offense moving. The defense has been a strength, but you have to score points. I hope we now understand this and as well as throwing the ball you gotta be able to run. New OC told fans last night at the EKU football rally that we were returning to running the ball (as well as passing), our bread and butter under Coach Kidd! So maybe we have been under estimated for 2011, we will see.

I'm an OVC fan hoss, I don't wish any ill will on EKU. I know Murray's history. Our football tradition is very inconsistent. Hopefully we can compete this year only time will tell. At Murray, our history is tied to a number of different coaches.....some good and some not so good. I think a good EKU is good for the conference so I hope things are looking up there...

ekufbfan
July 29th, 2011, 02:41 PM
OSRacer: Truce? xbeerchugx (Just don't call me "hoss" xlolx again)

eiu1999
July 29th, 2011, 03:01 PM
1. JSU - I haven't been there but, I rank this from seeing the pictures. I'd like to go this year, since Nov. of 2010, we own them.
2. EKU - I like the double-decked stadium that seems so "in your face" - couldv'e done without the visitor fans right on top of you, throwing things
3. TSU - NFL stadium but, even as a Titans fan, really nothing special compared to other NFL venues built after that...Ranked #3 for me, due to atmosphere on OVC game days.
4. Murray
5. UT-Martin - about 15 years ago, was HORRBILE - they've done a great job renovating
6. TTU - I guess put here by default - I think it's better than the lower ones on MY list...Still need better than the queer looking press box(es). Have nicely upgraded recently
7. SEMO - Would like to see it with upgrades, was very bad also, about 15 years ago (my last time there)
8. EIU - sorry, hasn't done much for me - I would think a program with that much tradition could do better
9. APSU - wow. A university plays here/there??? I've heard that a lot.

Having only seen SEMO and EIU in person I don't feel like I can really rate them well, but from what I remember SEMO does have decent scenery, but it had no atmosphere. Hopefully that changes with last seasons success.

msupigskin
July 29th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Rank

1. JSU - nothing else close
2. EKU - good but, unlike bourbon, not better with age
3. TTU - not as good as EKU but also showing the years
T4. MSU - agree that it would be better with more fans. Everybody hates the track except Racer fans who love to see the horse run around it on scores.
T4. EIU - like it enough to tie it with MSU
6. UT-M - has gotten better but still not as good as some HS stadiums I've seen
7. SEMO - improving and some new upgrades this year
8. APSU - embarrassing on so many levels

Don't count TSU - they are in an NFL stadium, but they still bury the visiting fans in the opposite end zone by their band instead of letting them sit behind the visitor's bench. It does take on a raucous atmospher during homecoming only.

Here's underneath upgrade photos of Stewart Stadium. Unbelievably nice football facility now for the coaches/players after this winter's work:

http://www.goracers.com/photo_gallery.aspx?gallery=103

Go Racers!

Redhawk2010
July 29th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Okay, so I have not read any of these posts yet. I will do so afterwhile.

I've been to SEMO (obviously ;)), EIU, Murray State, Austin Peay, and Jacksonville State.

1)Jacksonville State-- nobody can compare. Only complaint is the visitor sideline is really small.
2) Eastern Kentucky-- new FieldTurf; old feel to it
3) Murray State-- nice turf surface, good facilities; two complaints: lose the track, and don't like a one-sided stadium
4) Tennessee State-- obviously the nicest facility in the conference, but way too big for an OVC game
5) Tennessee Tech-- looks nice with new turf, new lights, again lose the track
6) SEMO-- old look to it with many upgrades being made. Need new sound system and new pressbox
7) UT-Martin-- Pressbox looks small and the stadium only seats 8k but it looks pretty nice to me
8) EIU-- visitor's lockerroom a long way away, visitor's bleachers are poor, and gotta lose the track. Nice video board..
9) Austin Peay-- "Let's to PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" pretty well sums it up..

Redhawk2010
July 29th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Having only seen SEMO and EIU in person I don't feel like I can really rate them well, but from what I remember SEMO does have decent scenery, but it had no atmosphere. Hopefully that changes with last seasons success.

It was a MUCH BETTER atmosphere last year.. Hopefully the new upgrades and a decent team will keep that alive.. I've been to numerous EIU games including multiple homecomings; not much atmosphere there either unfortunately..

Redhawk2010
July 29th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Rank

1. JSU - nothing else close
2. EKU - good but, unlike bourbon, not better with age
3. TTU - not as good as EKU but also showing the years
T4. MSU - agree that it would be better with more fans. Everybody hates the track except Racer fans who love to see the horse run around it on scores.
T4. EIU - like it enough to tie it with MSU
6. UT-M - has gotten better but still not as good as some HS stadiums I've seen
7. SEMO - improving and some new upgrades this year
8. APSU - embarrassing on so many levels

Don't count TSU - they are in an NFL stadium, but they still bury the visiting fans in the opposite end zone by their band instead of letting them sit behind the visitor's bench. It does take on a raucous atmospher during homecoming only.

Here's underneath upgrade photos of Stewart Stadium. Unbelievably nice football facility now for the coaches/players after this winter's work:

http://www.goracers.com/photo_gallery.aspx?gallery=103

Go Racers!

You talk about UT-Martin being worse than high school stadiums, but then you place all three stadiums with tracks around them ahead of it? Talk about high school..

TTUEagles
July 31st, 2011, 08:46 AM
Austin Peay must've read these lists - they've decided to plan on building a new football stadium (new thread started)...

TTUEagles
July 31st, 2011, 08:47 AM
I guess it's because of my school having a track around the stadium but, I've never understood what the big deal was about having a track around a football stadium ? I think when the track is new and painted up right, it looks good. Having the stands about 20-30 feet closer to the field never was that big of a deal to me...

dgtw
July 31st, 2011, 11:24 AM
Jax St travels to Peay this year. I may just catch the last train to Clarkesville just to see how bad it really is before they remodel it.

ekufbfan
July 31st, 2011, 04:50 PM
TTUer's: I think TTU has a perfect setup for upgrades that would make their stadium awesome. Stadium on campus, there is some grassy areas near the stadium for tailgating (or least there use to be, have not been to TTU for a game in awhile), some parking right at the stadium entrance and the way the stadium is built seems you could build up and/or could enclose into a bowl. On the other hand EKU has very few options for expansion but to build something permanent on the visitors side, but I am not an architect (or start over and build something new, highly unlikely, unfortunately :().
Then again we have almost the same set up as WKU had before expansion...minus their "symphony" of extremely loud trains going by every hour...so maybe something can be done.

TTUEagles
July 31st, 2011, 07:42 PM
Well, TTU has upgraded in the past few years, with better turf and landscaping around. A new, but cheap, scoreboard. Concourses, if you can call them that were re-surfaced, painted and they actually sell TTU merchandise. The also put in new lights which really helped. The tailgate scene is actually pretty good (for TECH). They even have live bands before games in the parking lot. I actually felt like I went to a real college football game a few times the past 2-3 years. We desperately need to upgrade the press boxes-which are huge eyesores, to me, and get chairback seating instead of metal bleachers. Hosting the Tennessee High School state championships has helped get them to upgrade - but, still a long way to go and I'm not sure what, if any, plans there are for further improvements.

Redhawk2010
July 31st, 2011, 08:26 PM
http://www.semo.edu/building/progress.htm

Go there and you can see pictures of the stadium upgrades and also some other facilities. The university began a $59million construction phase this winter/spring that will last for 3 or 4 years I believe..

Redhawk2010
July 31st, 2011, 08:27 PM
http://www.semo.edu/building/progress.htm

Go there and you can see pictures of the stadium upgrades and also some other facilities. The university began a $59million construction phase this winter/spring that will last for 3 or 4 years I believe..

eiu1999
August 1st, 2011, 08:55 AM
It was a MUCH BETTER atmosphere last year.. Hopefully the new upgrades and a decent team will keep that alive.. I've been to numerous EIU games including multiple homecomings; not much atmosphere there either unfortunately..

The atmosphere at EIU is very lackluster.