PDA

View Full Version : Southland Conference Preseason Poll

GeauxLions94
July 28th, 2011, 02:38 PM
OK boys and girls, who you got?

DG Cowboy
July 28th, 2011, 02:42 PM
McN, UCA, NW, Sam, SFA, SLU, Nich, Lam = a shot in the dark!

BEAR
July 28th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I've got:

UCA
McNeese
Sam
SFA

Honestly, I think Sam and McNeese will be tough and both contenders in the conference. But I think UCA has the senior leadership to pull off close games. The defense has to play better than it did last year in both games or it won't matter. Starting the year off with
Henderson- W
La Tech- L
Sam- L or W..I have no idea but Sammie will be brutal to us at their place.
Arkie State- L or even a W...
My bears could easily start the year off 1-3 with no end in site. But I guess scheduling those two money games our second year post season eligible was a necessity. Funds are short at every school in the SLC..well at least they are always needed. xlolx

lionsrking2
July 28th, 2011, 06:42 PM
SFA
McNeese
Sam Houston
NW State
UCA
Southeastern
Nicholls
Lamar

McNeese75
July 28th, 2011, 09:40 PM
LOL, Homer city here

BEAR
July 29th, 2011, 07:45 AM
LOL, Homer city here

I'm glad it's homer city here...but winning the conference is great..what the Southland needs now is for someone to win the Natty. THat's the goal at UCA..and probably many schools in the conference.

msupokes1
July 29th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I really think McNeese has more talent and depth than they have had in quite a few years. We are still a pretty young team with only 10 seniors and only 3 of whom will start. I like our chances if we can stay healthy. I think that can be said with about 4 teams in the league, whoever is the healthy will come out on top.

SFA 93
July 29th, 2011, 08:38 AM
The Jacks are pretty young as well with only 10 seniors (5 of which were starters last season.)

For 2012 much like this season, the entire offense will return (with the exception of one on the OL) for another run.

But on defense for 2012 SFA will have to replace 2 linebackers, 2 defensive backs, and a defensive tackle.

If the Jacks get injured on the D-line early this season, then it will be a lone one, as the Jacks are very thin up front.

McNeese75
July 29th, 2011, 10:54 PM
I'm glad it's homer city here...but winning the conference is great..what the Southland needs now is for someone to win the Natty. THat's the goal at UCA..and probably many schools in the conference.

I concur

FormerPokeCenter
July 30th, 2011, 09:59 AM
I'm usually NOT a Homer, but I find myself in Homer city here, too....

McNeese is going to be SCARY good on offense this year. Probably better than 2009, with Pendland and Fourroux. On Defense, we'll be salty in the secondary, even with losing Jace Peterson to Pro Baseball and Devin Holland to the NFL. We've got a difference maker at DE now, moving Des Lighten out to the edge, and his replacements in the DL are bigger and stronger than we've had in quite a while (with all due respect to Vaalyn Jackson)....the question mark, to me, is linebacker. We lost two good ones, BUT...we've got some talented kids with some appreciable playing time stepping up to fill the void. The Dobbs kid is a competitor and loves contact....and we've got leadership galore with Kenrick Cormier moving inside to linebacker and heading up the special teams, where we were lax last year. The kid was dodging IEDs and sniper fire this time last year in Iraq. I don't think he's gonna get rattled in Conway or Naconowhere ;)

I guess we'll know soon enough if we can compete or not....

TexasTerror
July 30th, 2011, 12:44 PM
SHSU is going to be in the mix... a lot of the key contributors last year were freshmen and sophomore thrown into the fire during Willie Fritz first year. They'll beat someone that they are probably not supposed to beat, but unless these young ones step up, I am still concerned about the close games, which was our undoing last year.

SHSU should be in great position to win the SLC title in '12, in my opinion and it would not surprise me if we do it this year (particularly if healthy), but think 2nd or 3rd is more likely.

DG Cowboy
July 30th, 2011, 01:46 PM
So vote for them TT. Who knows if they are the next SFA of two seasons ago.

TheRevSFA
July 30th, 2011, 02:41 PM
It truly is a 5 team race between SFA, mcneese, UCA, NWSULA, and sam.

I voted SFA solely as a homer

TheRevSFA
July 30th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Did someone really vote Lamar?

crossfire07
July 31st, 2011, 02:03 PM
Players give their views on this upcoming season:
http://www.ncaa.com/video/football/2011-07-29/players-talk-southland-football

Coaches: http://www.ncaa.com/video/football/2011-07-29/southland-coaches-face-balanced-league

LIONFAN07
July 31st, 2011, 02:44 PM
McNeese
SFA
UCA
SAM
Southeastern
NWST
Nicholls
Lamar

My first posted I'm excited to be a part of this board and looking forward to a great season. I think this year is wide open and anybody could win it.

crossfire07
July 31st, 2011, 04:32 PM
Did someone really vote Lamar?

solely a homer vote? lol

MSU_77
August 2nd, 2011, 01:18 PM
McNeese will likely be an offense-led team this year, with 4 really good RBs, an experienced OL, talent and depth at QB and WR. Lots of potential - let's see what happens on the field.

crossfire07
August 2nd, 2011, 02:22 PM
Did you see that grin starting to develop on Coach V's face when that reporter had just started to ask him the question at the SLC media day about having 2 different styles of qb's and playing them? He had the smile of a guilty kid :)

DG Cowboy
August 2nd, 2011, 02:33 PM
I want to see that grin after a playoff win.

FormerPokeCenter
August 2nd, 2011, 02:38 PM
McNeese will likely be an offense-led team this year, with 4 really good RBs, an experienced OL, talent and depth at QB and WR. Lots of potential - let's see what happens on the field.

I think we're going to be better on O than we were in 2009 ;)

MSU_77
August 2nd, 2011, 02:58 PM
I think we're going to be better on O than we were in 2009 ;)

I hope we don't lose most of our starters at skill positions to injury this year, as we seem to every year. Maybe the new facilities will contribute in some meaningful way to keeping the team healthier.

katstrapper
August 2nd, 2011, 03:11 PM
I think any of the four teams of SHSU, McNeese, SFA or UCA could win this conference and also SLC could possible put more than two teams in the playoffs. SLC is shaping up pretty well for 2011. Oh, and dont count out NW St. They should sneak up on some people.

Now talking as a homer, I really like what Fritz has done thus far. There are some that now believe that if they can shut down Flanders they have shut down our offense . Well, look for Kats to open up more this year with Bell as a sophomore QB. Also, not many people could shut down Flanders even knowing what was coming. I look for Flanders to have a GREAT season. 20 of 22 starters return for this season and a favorable schedule to start the season, I could honestly see SHSU starting 5-1 or 4-2 at least.xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
August 2nd, 2011, 03:24 PM
I think any of the four teams of SHSU, McNeese, SFA or UCA could win this conference and also SLC could possible put more than two teams in the playoffs. SLC is shaping up pretty well for 2011. Oh, and dont count out NW St. They should sneak up on some people.

Not sure if the schedules are shaping up to allow the SLC to put two teams in. Playing a quasi-FBS squad from Texas St-San Marcos will provide its share of difficulties and then you got the whole UTSA situation.

We'll see - I'd love to see more teams in, but so many of the schools are playing two or three FBS games (if you count a TXST).

crossfire07
August 2nd, 2011, 04:59 PM
Some of those SLC teams are going to give Texas STATE quite a going away party :)

crossfire07
August 2nd, 2011, 11:09 PM
Also, not many people could shut down Flanders even knowing what was coming.

He was a NON factor in Sam's loss to McNeese last year. 3 rushes for 5 yards. Sam had 6 different rushers touch the ball for 107 yards.

McNeese72
August 3rd, 2011, 07:42 AM
He was a NON factor in Sam's loss to McNeese last year. 3 rushes for 5 yards. Sam had 6 different rushers touch the ball for 107 yards.

I think he had some type of injury or was dinged up going into our game with them last year.

Doc

katstrapper
August 3rd, 2011, 10:12 AM

You are right. He battled ankle issues for about 3 or 4 games midway in the season, including McNeese game.

McNeese72
August 3rd, 2011, 03:46 PM

You are right. He battled ankle issues for about 3 or 4 games midway in the season, including McNeese game.

We should have all four of our runningbacks healthy (barring any preseason injuries) to start this season. Javaris Murray didn't play last season rehabbing a knee. Marcus Wiltz hurt a knee against SFA and was out the rest of the season. Champlain Babin was on and off the field with injuries. And Andre Anderson hopefully will continue to play the way he finished the season.

Damn, we have some runningbacks!

BEAR
August 3rd, 2011, 06:38 PM
We should have all four of our runningbacks healthy (barring any preseason injuries) to start this season. Javaris Murray didn't play last season rehabbing a knee. Marcus Wiltz hurt a knee against SFA and was out the rest of the season. Champlain Babin was on and off the field with injuries. And Andre Anderson hopefully will continue to play the way he finished the season.

Damn, we have some runningbacks!

Can we have one? xlolx

crossfire07
August 3rd, 2011, 08:49 PM
Hopefully if they stay healthy, when we get there you can have all four of them :) I really enjoyed my bike ride up there last year. The weather was quite cool and not hot but this year I am bringing the kids up with me so I have to drive :(

TheRevSFA
August 3rd, 2011, 08:50 PM
I was hoping to make the trip to Conway this year but it's looking like a no.

Damn..I really wanted to see that field.

crossfire07
August 3rd, 2011, 09:25 PM
I have already purchased our nuclear goggles to sheild our eyes :)