PDA

View Full Version : SPRING PRACTICE

shooty
March 21st, 2006, 11:59 AM
With spring ball starting what positions are up for grabs.

VictorG
March 21st, 2006, 12:41 PM
According to the Griz Coaches..............ALL OF THEM!

But realistically, QB, WR, 1/2 of the OL and DL comes to the top of my head.

GoGuins
March 21st, 2006, 12:58 PM
Keep us up to date on how Swogger is doing

VictorG
March 21st, 2006, 01:34 PM

I went to one practice and others have seen several so far. No doubt that he's the best we have at this time! There is a scrimmage Friday morning. The lost productivity and work absentee rate in Missoula will surpass March Madness I'm sure!:) (Me, I'm taking vacation!!!)

On another note, from all reports, our receivers are looking MUCH better than last year and the team as a whole seems to be picking up right where it left off last year with the learning curve. An article in the paper said something to the effect that the Coaching staff has "smiles" on their faces! (No one smiled last year!)

colgate13
March 21st, 2006, 02:15 PM
I believe we started yesterday. We're all interested to see how the QB situation shakes out and who steps up at linebacker.

shooty
March 21st, 2006, 03:10 PM
I think the only safe spots on Colgate are the SS and Center

LBPop
March 21st, 2006, 05:08 PM
I would say that there is only one sure thing at Georgetown. Alex Buzbee at DE. If you have the opportunity, try to see him play. He is bigger and stronger than Ononibaku...and he's quick. He can run around the OT or bull rush him if necessary. He's equally tough on the run.

After that, it's all up for grabs...including QB. Yes, Cangelosi will be the front runner, but last year's recruiting class yielded some quality QB talent. You can also throw into the mix that Georgetown has a new coaching staff and nobody knows what the offense will look like. It appears that spring and summer will be quite interesting.

Grizo406
March 21st, 2006, 06:34 PM

I've been to all the Griz practices so far, but missed the one this afternoon.

Swogger was my main concern. After we heard he was going to be a Griz, the hype started, and I wanted to see if he was as good as advertised.

I think at this point we should only judge the attitude of the players, and their possible potential. It's really too early to do anything else, or you run the risk of setting yourself up for a huge disappointment come game time.

I can't help it, from what I've seen so far from Swogger, this guy is The Real Deal!!! He gets the ball to where it need to be...very quickly! No floating/wounded ducks. He's got a laser cannon for an arm. He's big, and has a lot more mobility than I expected, and is a very pleasant guy on top of that.

I haven't felt this good about our QB position since Ochs got healthy.

Swogger IS as good as advertised, and I'm glad he's a Griz.

A couple other player's of note that are new to the Griz team...Craig Chambers, WR, 6-3, 200, Jr. from UW. From what I've seen, he plays a lot bigger than 6-3, super fast, and has hands the size of a VW. Great get for us!

Reggie Bradshaw, RB, 6-0, 215 from U. of Louisville. With him and Lex, the Griz should be OK at the RB position.

colgate13
March 21st, 2006, 07:57 PM
I think the only safe spots on Colgate are the SS and Center
You're crazy. Jordan Scott won't be starting next fall at tailback? Yea right! I feel pretty confident in Kenny Parker and Erik Burke at the wideouts, Dillingham at TE, as well as FS Moore and cornerback Williams. Rosabella will start on the line probably at guard, Jonas, if he's healthy, will be at left tackle. That's three out of five lineman right there.

Oh, and David Wesley will be one of the inside linebackers most likely as well.

Colgate brings back a lot - the real competition is at linebacker and d line. QB isn't going to be as much of a competition as some would hope unless someone really steps it up in camp. Saraceno is the fifth year senior who was first team all PL last year. Biddle doesn't just throw players away. Mike's got to get his decision making skills honed, but he is talented.

Tod
March 21st, 2006, 08:46 PM
Reggie Bradshaw, RB, 6-0, 215 from U. of Louisville. With him and Lex, the Griz should be OK at the RB position.

This is, I hope and think, the understatement of the '06 season so far. :eek:

ngineer
March 21st, 2006, 10:32 PM
At Lehigh the big competition will be for #2-4 WR. Lee Thomas returns and will probably be considered #1. Good competition for RB positions. Thompson the considered #1, but with the new transfer from Kent State, and the return of Fay (medical redshirt),McGowan and Copacia there will be people pushing each other.
On defense, LB should see a lot of competition. Starters gone, but a fair number of lettermen returning who saw a good bit of action last year.
OL will have two holes to fill. Secondary has 2/4 returning. Injuries last year got some youngsters baptized (like Gilliard at Delaware) and hopefully the experience will payoff.
The only 'sure thing' will be Sedale Threatt at QB...:cool:

Grizo406
March 22nd, 2006, 01:28 AM
This is, I hope and think, the understatement of the '06 season so far. :eek:

Not too sure it's an understatement, Tod...Bradshaw is a freakin' load!

I've seen him first hand, and he's clearly on the same page with Lex.

elkmcc
March 22nd, 2006, 03:21 PM
Not too sure it's an understatement, Tod...Bradshaw is a freakin' load!

I've seen him first hand, and he's clearly on the same page with Lex.

I'm thinking Todd meant that the Griz should be more than just OK at RB in '06. I'll make the scrimmage Friday and see for myself. Swogger seems to be impressing people on and off the field and seems to fit in real well with us Monto's. I am excited. I think the Griz will be tough with the addition of Swogger, Chambers and Bradshaw.

Hauck needs a good season if just to keep pace with his counterpart Coack K. Another sub par season and the hoops program will be stealing back its fans from the football program.

VictorG
March 24th, 2006, 10:33 PM

1st spring scrimmage today for the Griz. So far so good! IMO Swogger has a better arm and quicker release than Craig Ochs did! He is also more accurate than his distract-ors made me believe, especially on the deep ball! Believe me, the Griz WILL COMPLETE some deep passes this year!!!! (The Griz WR's are light years ahead of where they were last year too!)

His foot speed really isn't an issue as he has good pocket sense and is fast enough to buy time to make a throw and is not afraid to throw the ball away. He won't get a 1st down on 3rd and 15 running the ball like Craig Ochs did so often but he could get it on 3rd and 6 if he chooses to. He appears to be accurate throwing on the run and can still deliver an accurate and very strong throw 20 yards down field while he's running. If he can continue to improve and become even a resemblance of the field general Craig Ochs was for the Griz, the Griz will go a long way this year.!!!

Sorry for your loss!!!!! (But not really!:smiley_wi )

UNHWildCats
March 24th, 2006, 10:41 PM
I think its safe to use a permanent marker to write in Santos at QB and Ball at WR :P