PDA

View Full Version : View the Team pages from Phil's top 40 at philsteele.com.

Rolf Bertulies
July 20th, 2011, 09:36 AM
#40 Bethune Cookman. #39 SF Austin

ursus arctos horribilis
July 20th, 2011, 10:56 AM
#40 Bethune Cookman. #39 SF Austin

Hello Rolf and welcome to the board!

ursus arctos horribilis
July 20th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Mods, Rolf is not a spam account btw.xlolx

TheRevSFA
July 20th, 2011, 11:05 AM
SFA isn't available yet...

Side Judge
July 20th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Mods, Rolf is not a spam account btw.xlolx

If by "spam" you mean repeatedly posting a butt-load of marginally (if that) informative posts, then no, Rolf isn't a spam account. I can think of a couple Montana posters who do qualify, however...

ursus arctos horribilis
July 20th, 2011, 12:56 PM
If by "spam" you mean repeatedly posting a butt-load of marginally (if that) informative posts, then no, Rolf isn't a spam account. I can think of a couple Montana posters who do qualify, however...

Jerk face.

AppAlum2003
July 20th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Jerk face.

Is that a command or an insult?

jmufan999
July 20th, 2011, 01:14 PM

I think it's the villain in the new Batman movie.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 20th, 2011, 01:15 PM

It's tough to tell.

Twentysix
July 20th, 2011, 01:21 PM
(sorry this is related to the OP)
Link?
(Carry on)

smallcollegefbfan
July 20th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Hello Rolf and welcome to the board!

Welcome and hello from me as well! Glad to see Phil Steele's GM here on the board. Phil Steele is definitely a welcome brand here at AGS! :)

smallcollegefbfan
July 20th, 2011, 01:22 PM
(sorry this is related to the OP)
Link?
(Carry on)

http://www.philsteele.com/

Twentysix
July 20th, 2011, 01:23 PM
http://www.philsteele.com/

Very nice. I shall visit once daily. And if NDSU isnt in the top 10 I shall tantrum like the world hasn't seen since katrina.

smallcollegefbfan
July 20th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Very nice. I shall visit once daily. And if NDSU isnt in the top 10 I shall tantrum like the world hasn't seen since katrina.

LOL! Well if so say something to Phil Steele. If he has something that most deem as crazy he usually has a very good reason or two why they are lower in his rankings.

LeadBolt
July 20th, 2011, 01:32 PM

Who wants to bet on when this tantrum will come? I'm thinking July 30.

AppAlum2003
July 20th, 2011, 01:32 PM

That's not funny man... A lot of people suffered from the devastation from Katrina's news coverage. I missed 3 nights in a row of Jeopardy because of the news coverage from that event.... still haunts me to this day.

TheRevSFA
July 20th, 2011, 01:41 PM
That's not funny man... A lot of people suffered from the devastation from Katrina's news coverage. I missed 3 nights in a row of Jeopardy because of the news coverage from that event.... still haunts me to this day.

...and I couldn't get any FEMA money after Ike due to the Katrina people still taking it all..

superman7515
July 20th, 2011, 02:03 PM
...and I couldn't get any FEMA money after Ike due to the Katrina people still taking it all..

Ike gets his money...

http://www.jazzfm.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/ike-and-tina-turner.jpg

You better believe Ike gets his money.

JmuSkinsfan
July 20th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Here is his Top 25 as posted on CAA Football facebook page:

1)William and Mary
2) Eastern Washington
3) Georgia Southern
4) Northern Iowa
5) App State
6) Delaware
7) James Madison
8) Montana State
9) Wofford
10) Sacramento State
11) Jacksonville State
12) Montana
13) Central Arkansas
14) New Hampshire
15) Stony Brook
16) Lehigh
17) Southern Illinois
18) South Carolina State
19) Chattanooga
20) North Dakota State
21) Murray State
22) Sam Houston State
23) Umass
24) Southern Utah
25) Jackson State

Other intersting teams: (31) Liberty, (36) Richmond

Interesting ... just 5 CAA teams in the top 25 ... but 3 in the top 7 ... and only 6 in the top 40! I like the love for JMU at #7 though. This speaks to what I've been saying for a while ... UR = overrated, UD, JMU, WM are top tier CAA this year with UNH and UMass pulling into the second tier with a shot at the playoffs.

jmufan999
July 20th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Our QB will need to play better in order to justify a #7 ranking. Definitely think it's possible, but I had JMU #15 in my ballot. I think we can be better, but I'm not ready to move us up until I see some offense.

We need to be able to execute simple plays like HB screens, which were frequently incomplete passes last year.

JmuSkinsfan
July 20th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Agree about the JMU offense ... but 3-4 more points per game last year and we are 9-2 at the least. I say we get that and more this year ... I'm a big big believer in Thorpe and think he'll finish on the Payton watch ... and if that occurs you bet JMU (with probably the best defense in FCS) could be to 5 easily ... especially in what Steele calls a down year for CAA. I don't think we'll see much from ODU, Towson, Richmond and Villanova this year. UMass doesn't scare me too much either. I think it will be a fight between WM, UD, JMU and UNH.

Rob Iola
July 20th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Delaware at #6? Probably about right - replacing Devlin is the obvious challenge (great potential in their QB stable, but nothing really proven), but they have a pretty managable schedule - go 3-2 against the likes of Navy, W&M, UMass, Richmond, and Nova, and daHenz could easily finish at 9-2 and be in contention for the CAA crown.

AppAlum2003
July 20th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Wasn't Rolf the name of the dog from the Muppets? That's rad.

GannonFan
July 20th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Agree about the JMU offense ... but 3-4 more points per game last year and we are 9-2 at the least. I say we get that and more this year ... I'm a big big believer in Thorpe and think he'll finish on the Payton watch ... and if that occurs you bet JMU (with probably the best defense in FCS) could be to 5 easily ... especially in what Steele calls a down year for CAA. I don't think we'll see much from ODU, Towson, Richmond and Villanova this year. UMass doesn't scare me too much either. I think it will be a fight between WM, UD, JMU and UNH.

Thorpe could be the second coming (which is highly speculative anyway - decent runner but below average arm two years ago) but without a much improved offensive line he won't do much this year. JMU's o-line last year was just abysmal, and nothing in that offense (or most offenses really) works without the offense line being effective. Thorpe is a big question mark, but the OL is an even bigger one.

Tribal
July 20th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Both JMU and W&M are ranked about 4 notches too high.

ur2k
July 20th, 2011, 04:14 PM
... UR = overrated,

UR overrated at 36??

GannonFan
July 20th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Whoa - I just noticed - UNI #4???? The same UNI that got ran out of their own building by Lehigh...seriously Lehigh... last year? Yikes.

Tribal
July 20th, 2011, 04:17 PM
UR overrated at 36??

UR plays JMU close every season. UR isn't overrated. I'd rather have CAA teams ranked in the top 15 so if W&M drops one to them, it doesn't push the Tribe down the rung too far. UR is a top 25 team.

Tribal
July 20th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Actually, UR could beat any team ranked above 15 with the exception of maybe Chatty. URI doesn't belong at #4.

eaglewraith
July 20th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Actually, UR could beat any team ranked above 15 with the exception of maybe Chatty. URI doesn't belong at #4.

I'd take that bet.

Also....W&M #1? We sure ole Phil hasn't dipped into a secret stash of some sort?

cpalum
July 20th, 2011, 04:39 PM
wow!

I have a lot of respect for Phil's opinion but Cal Poly is not in is top 40! He is dead to me.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 20th, 2011, 04:45 PM
UNI may be a little over ranked but with a decent, young QB coming back and the whole OL you kind of have to give then a little extra respect I think. With SIU returning so many on the young D and NDSU also returning a lot after a heartbreaking run it's gonna be fairly ferocious in the MVFC this year...as pretty much everywhere I guess.

JmuSkinsfan
July 20th, 2011, 04:54 PM
UR overrated at 36??

No, don't get me wrong I'm not saying UR is overrated at 36. I'm just saying if UR were to go 5-6 this is where they would go ... And I could see that. People forget Phil Steele does these preseason rankings based on how he thinks teams will finish ... So while I think UR would beat most teams between 16-35, if they finished 5-6 this is a realistic spot for them. Phil says it'll be a down year for the CAA. looks like he has JMU WM and UD finishing at the top of the conference followed by UNH and UMass. UMass at 6-5 would be realistic ranked 23 by seasons end. I don't see these being too bad at all.

Tribal
July 20th, 2011, 08:38 PM
I'd take that bet.

Also....W&M #1? We sure ole Phil hasn't dipped into a secret stash of some sort?

I meant ranked 15-25, not "better than" 15. He had W&M #1 last season, too. I know a lot of people want to judge W&M by their poor showing against GSU. Remember that the Tribe beat UNH, UR, Delaware, and Nova during the regular season. All were ranked in the top 20 at some point. W&M didn't have a #1 FCS ranking late in the season because of some gift from the voters. They were ahead against GSU at halftime then the damn wheels came off. It happens. GSU played better; no excuses. W&M also beat two teams who made it deep into the playoffs and had UNC against the ropes late in the 4th. I don't believe W&M deserves a #1 preseason ranking. I'd have them closer to #5 with at least UD, EWU, and GSU ahead of them.

Keeper
July 21st, 2011, 03:34 AM
the first preview looks great.........looking forward to the rest.

Thanks, Phil. Kudos, Rolf.

AGS + PS = xthumbsupx

bluehenbillk
July 21st, 2011, 07:24 AM
UNI & JMU??? Wow... what year of tape was Phil & Josh watching when they came up with this poll? Even the PL is snickering. I'll bet JMU doesn't see 7 wins & UNI doesn't sniff beating anyone worth their salt in the postseason.

Bam
July 21st, 2011, 07:32 AM
UTM & MSU ahead of EKU? PS stay off the sauce!

JmuSkinsfan
July 21st, 2011, 08:56 AM
UNI & JMU??? Wow... what year of tape was Phil & Josh watching when they came up with this poll? Even the PL is snickering. I'll bet JMU doesn't see 7 wins & UNI doesn't sniff beating anyone worth their salt in the postseason.

How much / what bet do you want to make? I've seen bets where people change their signatures/pictures. What are you willing to bet JMU doesn't "sniff" 7 wins? I say JMU goes 9-2 or 8-3 ... at the very worst we go 7-4. I'll tell you what tape he watched. He went and looked at last year's tape and saw that JMU had the best defense in FCS and the worst offense and still went 6-5 and were two FGs from being 8-3 ... then he sees that our OL is greatly improved and we have 2 very capable QBs in Justin "the second coming" Thorpe and K-State transfer rFr Billy Cosh.

Put your "money" where your mouth is BH ... I'll agree to whatever you propose.

Seawolf97
July 21st, 2011, 08:56 AM
Here is his Top 25 as posted on CAA Football facebook page:

1)William and Mary
2) Eastern Washington
3) Georgia Southern
4) Northern Iowa
5) App State
6) Delaware
7) James Madison
8) Montana State
9) Wofford
10) Sacramento State
11) Jacksonville State
12) Montana
13) Central Arkansas
14) New Hampshire
15) Stony Brook
16) Lehigh
17) Southern Illinois
18) South Carolina State
19) Chattanooga
20) North Dakota State
21) Murray State
22) Sam Houston State
23) Umass
24) Southern Utah
25) Jackson State

Other intersting teams: (31) Liberty, (36) Richmond

Interesting ... just 5 CAA teams in the top 25 ... but 3 in the top 7 ... and only 6 in the top 40! I like the love for JMU at #7 though. This speaks to what I've been saying for a while ... UR = overrated, UD, JMU, WM are top tier CAA this year with UNH and UMass pulling into the second tier with a shot at the playoffs.

I'm really surprised to see StonyBrook so highly thought of. No complaints - we will have a tough team this season Three 1000 yd running backs to chose from.

bluehenbillk
July 21st, 2011, 09:19 AM
How much / what bet do you want to make? I've seen bets where people change their signatures/pictures. What are you willing to bet JMU doesn't "sniff" 7 wins? I say JMU goes 9-2 or 8-3 ... at the very worst we go 7-4. I'll tell you what tape he watched. He went and looked at last year's tape and saw that JMU had the best defense in FCS and the worst offense and still went 6-5 and were two FGs from being 8-3 ... then he sees that our OL is greatly improved and we have 2 very capable QBs in Justin "the second coming" Thorpe and K-State transfer rFr Billy Cosh.

Put your "money" where your mouth is BH ... I'll agree to whatever you propose.

:) Reeled in a sucker. Sure, I'll make the wager. JMU doesn't reach the 7-win mark. You win and I'll sport a JMU or MM avatar until March Madness starts, I win and you sport a UD or a KC avatar on here and on the CAAZone. Deal??

Grizzaholic
July 21st, 2011, 09:33 AM

See Ursus, this is why Side Judge should be disallowed to post anywhere except the Smack Forum.

GannonFan
July 21st, 2011, 09:37 AM

When did this happen???? :)

JmuSkinsfan
July 21st, 2011, 09:41 AM
:) Reeled in a sucker. Sure, I'll make the wager. JMU doesn't reach the 7-win mark. You win and I'll sport a JMU or MM avatar until March Madness starts, I win and you sport a UD or a KC avatar on here and on the CAAZone. Deal??

Deal. Except, since I'll be doing the CAAzone, you have to do gohens ... I'm assuming they allow pictures?

Also, does this bet kick in late October when JMU wins their 7th game out of 8/9 or are we waiting til the end of the season?

And to clarify ... 7-4 for JMU wins me this bet? That should be good enough for playoffs, but I'll take that 365 days a year

JmuSkinsfan
July 21st, 2011, 09:44 AM
When did this happen???? :)

I don't think anyone is saying the JMU line will be stellar ... but "improved?" ... absolutely! First, we have 4th team All-American and 1st-Team CAA Center Roane Babington. He and Earl Watford were the only experienced linemen last year. Two, we have a transfer G/T from Marshall who was a starter but wanted out ... I believe he will be a soph. or Jr. Third, the two freshmen that were baptized by fire last year are a year older. I don't think anyone would say they will be studs on the line ... but a year of experience and an offseason of muscle shouldn't hurt.

So to clarify, I'd argue that we will have 3 very good linemen and 2 solid, young linemen. I'll take that over 2 good linemen and 3 first years like we had last year. That is certainly improved.

bluehenbillk
July 21st, 2011, 10:36 AM
Deal. Except, since I'll be doing the CAAzone, you have to do gohens ... I'm assuming they allow pictures?

Also, does this bet kick in late October when JMU wins their 7th game out of 8/9 or are we waiting til the end of the season?

And to clarify ... 7-4 for JMU wins me this bet? That should be good enough for playoffs, but I'll take that 365 days a year

The deal kicks in once JMU reaches 7 wins or clinches not getting to 7.

bluehenbillk
July 21st, 2011, 10:42 AM
JMUSkins-

Here's how I look at your schedule - 4 games you'll go in as an underdog and I believe they're all on the road : UNC - W&M - UNH - UMass, 5 games that could go either way (for you to win the bet you'd have to run the table probably or go 4-1): Liberty, UR, 'Nova, ODU & URI, and 2 gimmes - CCSU & Maine.

GannonFan
July 21st, 2011, 11:23 AM
I don't think anyone is saying the JMU line will be stellar ... but "improved?" ... absolutely! First, we have 4th team All-American and 1st-Team CAA Center Roane Babington. He and Earl Watford were the only experienced linemen last year. Two, we have a transfer G/T from Marshall who was a starter but wanted out ... I believe he will be a soph. or Jr. Third, the two freshmen that were baptized by fire last year are a year older. I don't think anyone would say they will be studs on the line ... but a year of experience and an offseason of muscle shouldn't hurt.

So to clarify, I'd argue that we will have 3 very good linemen and 2 solid, young linemen. I'll take that over 2 good linemen and 3 first years like we had last year. That is certainly improved.

Well, if you completely ignore the fact that last year JMU had a 5th year, 4 year starter in Theo Sherman anchoring one side of the line, starting every game last year, then yes, the offensive line could be considered better. However, factoring in that Sherman is now gone, that means he needs to be replaced. And linemen tend to take a little longer to make those strides into being really good lineman - sure the frosh from last year should be a little better, but they're not juniors yet either. And who's the transfer from Marshall - he's not on the roster currently - is he really there?

Still a ton of question marks for an offensive line that with Sherman and Babington just wasn't very good last year. Couple that with losing the best RB you had in Sullivan and still question marks around the QB (remember, Thorpe actually got beat out by Dudzik last year before getting hurt - that isn't really something to be proud of) and it could be another year of a nice defense and a weak offense.

bjtheflamesfan
July 21st, 2011, 11:37 AM
I'm really surprised to see StonyBrook so highly thought of. No complaints - we will have a tough team this season Three 1000 yd running backs to chose from.

Indeed...itll be interesting how the conference coaches and SIDs see things at media day next Wednesday...I still think that the conference title is gonna have to go through Liberty. Getting the Flames at home is a plus for you but many of the same players who were part of the 54-28 decision last year will be heading to Stony Brook this year...

Oh and Grizza you do know that you are doing Barney Fife a disservice right?

JMUDuke2002
July 21st, 2011, 01:36 PM
And who's the transfer from Marshall - he's not on the roster currently - is he really there?

AJ Scott, 6'5'', 270 lineman from Staunton. He won an appeal from the NCAA to be released from Marshall. I assume he hasn't shown up on the roster because he hasn't registered yet.

JmuSkinsfan
July 21st, 2011, 01:54 PM
JMUSkins-

Here's how I look at your schedule - 4 games you'll go in as an underdog and I believe they're all on the road : UNC - W&M - UNH - UMass, 5 games that could go either way (for you to win the bet you'd have to run the table probably or go 4-1): Liberty, UR, 'Nova, ODU & URI, and 2 gimmes - CCSU & Maine.

Look ... I agree with Steele ... JMU finishing around 7 ... and that would put them at 8-3. I see JMU as 2/3 in the CAA behind WM and UD. SO, following that.

Wins: Maine, URI, Umass, Towson, Liberty, CCSU, ODU, Villanova (8)

Losses: WM, UNC (2)

Toss Ups: UNH (1)

To say ODU, URI, Maine, etc are all toss ups? Really? Come on man ... I know URI is going to be decent this year but they're coming to JMU. ALso, ODU is new and all they'll have going for them at that point in the season is home field ... its at the end of the season and their roster will be diff. than day 1 ... and that's assuming their day 1 roster has a chance anyway. Maine never really scares me ... they're solid but we shouldn't lose to them, esp at home. UMass and UNH only scare me because we fare poorly in the northeast ... but aside from last year have dominated UNH ... Umass is usually a split but this is a down year for them (and we've beaten them the last two years, anyway).

We beat WM last year at home ... I'm not convinced we couldn't beat them this year with an improved offense ... but I respect their program and being at WM I can see it being a win for them.

I know the horse has been dead for a long time and I keep beating it BUT ... Jmu lost in OT to UR 13-10 and on a last second field goal to UD 13-10 last year. If JMU had an ounce of competence on offense, they win those two games and go 8-3 and get a bye in the playoffs. You act like they were freaking 3-8 last year. Come on.

JMUDuke2002
July 21st, 2011, 02:30 PM
Look ... I agree with Steele ... JMU finishing around 7 ... and that would put them at 8-3. I see JMU as 2/3 in the CAA behind WM and UD. SO, following that.

Wins: Maine, URI, Umass, Towson, Liberty, CCSU, ODU, Villanova (8)

Losses: WM, UNC (2)

Toss Ups: UNH (1)

To say ODU, URI, Maine, etc are all toss ups? Really? Come on man ... I know URI is going to be decent this year but they're coming to JMU. ALso, ODU is new and all they'll have going for them at that point in the season is home field ... its at the end of the season and their roster will be diff. than day 1 ... and that's assuming their day 1 roster has a chance anyway. Maine never really scares me ... they're solid but we shouldn't lose to them, esp at home. UMass and UNH only scare me because we fare poorly in the northeast ... but aside from last year have dominated UNH ... Umass is usually a split but this is a down year for them (and we've beaten them the last two years, anyway).

We beat WM last year at home ... I'm not convinced we couldn't beat them this year with an improved offense ... but I respect their program and being at WM I can see it being a win for them.

I know the horse has been dead for a long time and I keep beating it BUT ... Jmu lost in OT to UR 13-10 and on a last second field goal to UD 13-10 last year. If JMU had an ounce of competence on offense, they win those two games and go 8-3 and get a bye in the playoffs. You act like they were freaking 3-8 last year. Come on.

Well, I force others to know the facts so I can't back down when a JMU fan goes a little far afield.

First, we lost to UMass last year and squeeked by in '09. Second, the series with UNH is pretty even--7-6 in favor of good guys. They were the only team last year that truly beat us, by two scores no less. No way am I counting them out. URI is a solid team that has traditionally given us fits. Yes, we lead the series 6-3, but they have always played us tough even in Harrisonburg. By no means are they a gimmie.

I foresee either 9-2/10-1 or yet another 6-5 campaign. It all comes down to QB and OL. Very simple actually.

GannonFan
July 21st, 2011, 02:40 PM
AJ Scott, 6'5'', 270 lineman from Staunton. He won an appeal from the NCAA to be released from Marshall. I assume he hasn't shown up on the roster because he hasn't registered yet.

So he's not even practiced with the team yet at this point? And he's penciled in as a starter, and a good starter at that? Makes me even question the JMU OL situation even more considering that. OL don't normally just walk in and gel with a new line, especially with just the few weeks before the season starts to even get into the system. If he had been there since Spring practices that would be one thing.

JMUDuke2002
July 21st, 2011, 02:47 PM
So he's not even practiced with the team yet at this point? And he's penciled in as a starter, and a good starter at that? Makes me even question the JMU OL situation even more considering that. OL don't normally just walk in and gel with a new line, especially with just the few weeks before the season starts to even get into the system. If he had been there since Spring practices that would be one thing.

I actually have no idea if he is practicing or not. He was still at Marshall during spring practice, and I don't think JMU's team has reported yet. So, I can't speak to that.

JmuSkinsfan
July 21st, 2011, 03:17 PM

Well ... he was going to start at Marshall ... so I'd guess he could probably start at JMU, too.

JmuSkinsfan
July 21st, 2011, 03:21 PM
Well, I force others to know the facts so I can't back down when a JMU fan goes a little far afield.

First, we lost to UMass last year and squeeked by in '09. Second, the series with UNH is pretty even--7-6 in favor of good guys. They were the only team last year that truly beat us, by two scores no less. No way am I counting them out. URI is a solid team that has traditionally given us fits. Yes, we lead the series 6-3, but they have always played us tough even in Harrisonburg. By no means are they a gimmie.

I foresee either 9-2/10-1 or yet another 6-5 campaign. It all comes down to QB and OL. Very simple actually.

True. Okay, I forgot about Umass last year. I know UNH beat us "handily" last year (28-14) but they lose their starting QB. Villanova beat us last year 14-7 and lose a TON. Richmond, unless Aaron Corp turns out to be all world, doesn't scare me much either. I just don't see all that many toss-ups ... of course it's the CAA and any given saturday anything can happen, but I see at least 7 wins in that schedule. Maine, Villanova, URI, ODU, Liberty, CCSU, Umass should all be wins. And aside from last year, JMU has had UNH's number, FWIW, despite "all-time" records. I think JMU had won 3 straight prior to last year, including in 2007 when UNH was ranked #5 at JMU and another when we beat them at UNH when they were #1 in 2006.

GannonFan
July 21st, 2011, 03:23 PM
Well ... he was going to start at Marshall ... so I'd guess he could probably start at JMU, too.

It ain't your daddy's Marshall these days - just one winning season since 2004. And he's just going to walk into Fall practice and being a starting OL, well, like I said, that raises a lot more questions about the JMU OL than anything else.

JMUDuke2002
July 21st, 2011, 03:27 PM
True. Okay, I forgot about Umass last year. I know UNH beat us "handily" last year (28-14) but they lose their starting QB. Villanova beat us last year 14-7 and lose a TON. Richmond, unless Aaron Corp turns out to be all world, doesn't scare me much either. I just don't see all that many toss-ups ... of course it's the CAA and any given saturday anything can happen, but I see at least 7 wins in that schedule. Maine, Villanova, URI, ODU, Liberty, CCSU, Umass should all be wins. And aside from last year, JMU has had UNH's number, FWIW, despite "all-time" records. I think JMU had won 3 straight prior to last year, including in 2007 when UNH was ranked #5 at JMU and another when we beat them at UNH when they were #1 in 2006.

I agree, mostly. The defense will keep us in every game. I have no doubt. We were a field goal away from the playoffs last year with a completely inept offense. If the offense produces 3 more points per game this year, we'll be in the playoffs, especially considering how much some teams lost.

I will still say that WM doesn't scare me. We beat them passing the ball once. I think we'll beat them again this year unless they've suddenly figured out how to stop the run.

JmuSkinsfan
July 21st, 2011, 03:38 PM
I agree, mostly. The defense will keep us in every game. I have no doubt. We were a field goal away from the playoffs last year with a completely inept offense. If the offense produces 3 more points per game this year, we'll be in the playoffs, especially considering how much some teams lost.

I will still say that WM doesn't scare me. We beat them passing the ball once. I think we'll beat them again this year unless they've suddenly figured out how to stop the run.

Agree with you 100%. I also agree with your WM statement ... but I'm also giving them respect. If I came out and said "JMU will lose to UNC and has 8 lock wins and 2 toss-ups) that means they are 8-3 minimum and people will laugh. But I don't think people will ultimately be surprised if JMU is ranked top 10 or even top 5 or 3 by season's end. I could see JMU beating WM ... It's really hard to run the table in the CAA so even if we beat WM I bet we lose to someone else ... but right now I'm most comfortable giving that one loss to WM who appears to be the strongest of the bunch we play. I could see JMU, WM and UD all finishing 9-2 ... would make for some great end-of-season intrigue ... and I could see all 3 getting home field and seeds.

Rob Iola
July 21st, 2011, 04:16 PM
See Ursus, this is why Side Judge should be disallowed to post anywhere except the Smack Forum.

Ya know, as a Montana fan I would think that you would take issue, complete with comprehensive analysis leavened with a bit of ham-handed smack, with the relative positioning of Montana and Montana State. Instead you simply prove my, er, SJ's point...

And apropos of nothing, but why is Montana State's official URL the choice "montana.edu", while Montana's the completely forgettable "umt.edu"?

Grizzaholic
July 21st, 2011, 05:04 PM
Ya know, as a Montana fan I would think that you would take issue, complete with comprehensive analysis leavened with a bit of ham-handed smack, with the relative positioning of Montana and Montana State. Instead you simply prove my, er, SJ's point...

And apropos of nothing, but why is Montana State's official URL the choice "montana.edu", while Montana's the completely forgettable "umt.edu"?

Because Montana State will be going to the Chipper this year and winning it is why.

Twentysix
July 21st, 2011, 07:54 PM
As promised #20 seems a little off. I would of felt better with an 8-14 area.

He gave us 2 all americans and 7 1st team MVFC and 2 2nd team MVFC.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6126/5948737637_406c30e7b7_b.jpg