PDA

View Full Version : Bands

saxbison
July 18th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Hello All,

I'm new to AGS and I was inspired by the earlier band thread.

What is the importance of the university's marching band to your program?

Redhawk2010
July 18th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I'll never forget our band. For one, they go by the "Golden Eagles" even though SEMO has never had that as a mascot. We were the Indians until 2005 when we became the Redhawks. In 2008, we played Tennessee Tech on ESPNU on a Thursday night. Lost by 2 in a down-to-the-wire game. The band did their normal cheer after the alma mater and fight song. And ended with "Hail the Golden Eagles!" National TV our band just cheered for the opponent who beat us...

blaw0203
July 18th, 2011, 04:14 PM
The Marching 100 is the band of Florida A&M University. The 100 are quite possibly the most known band in the world and is one of the main reasons fans come to our games. During half-time, NO ONE LEAVES THEIR SEATS! Our band has performed at numerous super-bowls, the grammys, several inaugurations, been in movies, commercials, and have had lengthy features done by 20/20, 60 Minutes, CBS Evening News, and more. Other highlights include many international trips including being selected to represent the USA in Paris France for their Bi-Cencennial Celebration and being awarded the coveted Sudler Trophy. The 100 has also been credited with creating numerous techniques that are now common-place for collegiate and high school marching bands everywhere. So in a nutshell, they are EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to our school and football program!

Twentysix
July 18th, 2011, 04:17 PM
The Marching 100 is the band of Florida A&M University. The 100 are quite possibly the most known band in the world and is one of the main reasons fans come to our games. During half-time, NO ONE LEAVES THEIR SEATS! Our band has performed at numerous super-bowls, the grammys, several inaugurations, been in movies, commercials, and have had lengthy features done by 20/20, 60 Minutes, CBS Evening News, and more. Other highlights include many international trips including being selected to represent the USA in Paris France for their Bi-Cencennial Celebration and being awarded the coveted Sudler Trophy. The 100 has also been credited with creating numerous techniques that are now common-place for collegiate and high school marching bands everywhere. So in a nutshell, they are EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to our school and football program!

Never heard of them.

blaw0203
July 18th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Never heard of them.

You guys dont watch the superbowl or grammys in ND?

saxbison
July 18th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Congrats on the success of your band. North Dakota State has increased their numbers significantly in the past few years. We have been very proud of the Gold Star Marching Band and hope to achieve similar progressions.

Twentysix
July 18th, 2011, 04:29 PM
You guys dont watch the superbowl or grammys in ND?

I heard were getting TV later this year. I see I didn't realize when you said numerous superbowls you meant 2, one of which was in the 60's.

I guess that makes sense why I probably havent heard of them. The only names I would associate musically with a superbowl are the recording artists associated with it.

DJKyR0
July 18th, 2011, 04:36 PM
The Gold Star Marching Band has gone through a ton of growth the last few years, going from around 70 members to roughly 160 in 2008-09 and now with over 200. Adding a new position on the music department staff for athletic bands has been a big part of that, and Dr. Johnson has been instrumental in the improvements made. The GSMB is still taking steps toward being a "big time" college band, but the potential is definitely there. As for the game itself, the biggest benefit is easily at volleyball games. The atmosphere is small enough that a 30-piece band is a relevant part of the crowd and it can get LOUD in there when everybody joins in to some of the cheers. They do a ton for football and basketball games, and sit right amidst the students for football. The athletic department is working on integrating them further with the general gameday experience, so look for the GSMB's importance to NDSU football to only go up.

Silenoz
July 18th, 2011, 04:45 PM
We have one

Redhawk2010
July 18th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Here's what SEMO says on their website about the Golden Eagles:

Celebrating musical excellence on the campus of Southeast Missouri State University since 1957, the Golden Eagles Marching Band has thrilled audiences throughout the United States and now abroad! During its history, the Golden Eagles have performed for audiences for many National Football League teams, including the St. Louis Cardinals, the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Falcons, and the Indianapolis Colts. In addition, the band has performed for two NFL Pro Bowl Football Games and one NFL Super Bowl.

The Golden Eagles have been one of the most televised university marching bands in the United States. Most recently the Golden Eagles performed at the prestigious Edinburgh Military Tattoo in Edinburgh, Scotland as only the second United States university marching band ever to be invited to perform at the Tattoo.

The Golden Eagles Marching Band was in Scotland during August 2008 for a return engagement at the world renowned Edinburgh Military Tattoo. During this 5-week musical production, the band performed over 30 times. The Golden Eagles were seen live by over 217,000, and in a BBC broadcast to the entire United Kingdom by over 10 million, and world-wide by an estimated 100 million viewers.

That said, they still don't know anything about football..

saxbison
July 18th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I hope the GSMB receives the same recognition as other bands in the future.

I don't drink the kool-aid of JBB or lakesbison

Twentysix
July 18th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I hope the GSMB receives the same recognition as other bands in the future.

I don't drink the kool-aid of JBB or lakesbison

I wouldn't count on it, NDSU isnt all black or BCS.

Humble Steward
July 18th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I wouldn't count on it, NDSU isnt all black or BCS.

What does that mean? xchinscratchx

blaw0203
July 18th, 2011, 05:51 PM
I heard were getting TV later this year. I see I didn't realize when you said numerous superbowls you meant 2, one of which was in the 60's.

I guess that makes sense why I probably havent heard of them. The only names I would associate musically with a superbowl are the recording artists associated with it.

There are actually 7 superbowl performances the 100 participated in. The most recent being 2005, 2007, and 2010.

Humble Steward
July 18th, 2011, 05:52 PM

Very similar to the Marching 100, Bethune-Cookman University's band known as "The Pride" is very important to our school and football program. We have many of the same accomplishments and have performed in superbowls, movies, the Ellen Show, commercials, at Disney World, and numerous parades. My wife was in our band during college and there is so much pride and tradition in representing our university. The Pride is known for their precision and musical techniques, while providing a excellent halftime show for all fans. Our most popular song "Let's Go Wildcats" has been replicated by numerous high school bands and is a great inspirational song for our school and football team. If you ever have a chance to visit the "The Florida Classic" football game you will see two of the most musically inclined and precise bands in the country. LOL, I'll let you tell me who is better (Rattlers and Wildcats have been debating this for yearsxarguex).

blaw0203
July 18th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Very similar to the Marching 100, Bethune-Cookman University's band known as "The Pride" is very important to our school and football program. We have many of the same accomplishments and have performed in superbowls, movies, the Ellen Show, commercials, at Disney World, and numerous parades. My wife was in our band during college and there is so much pride and tradition in representing our university. The Pride is known for their precision and musical techniques, while providing a excellent halftime show for all fans. Our most popular song "Let's Go Wildcats" has been replicated by numerous high school bands and is a great inspirational song for our school and football team. If you ever have a chance to visit the "The Florida Classic" football game you will see two of the most musically inclined and precise bands in the country. LOL, I'll let you tell me who is better (Rattlers and Wildcats have been debating this for yearsxarguex).

I have several relatives who marched in the PRIDE! My dad and his side of the family went to FAMU and my mom and her side went to Bethune Cookman. I love both, but ofcourse I would rank the 100 as best!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=326By8r2IhA&feature=player_detailpage

The Eagle's Cliff
July 18th, 2011, 06:16 PM
I've enjoyed FAMU and Bethune's bands at Paulson. Western Carolina, though different in style than HBCU Marching Bands, is very talented and entertaining as well.

Southern Pride is Georgia Southern's marching band and I'm always proud of their efforts. We have a new director this year and am looking forward to seeing new things. We will also have a 75-piece Travelling Band this year for all away games.

blaw0203
July 18th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I've enjoyed FAMU and Bethune's bands at Paulson. Western Carolina, though different in style than HBCU Marching Bands, is very talented and entertaining as well.

Southern Pride is Georgia Southern's marching band and I'm always proud of their efforts. We have a new director this year and am looking forward to seeing new things. We will also have a 75-piece Travelling Band this year for all away games.

We last played Georgia Southern in 92 I believe. I wish our schools could restart a series.

Twentysix
July 18th, 2011, 07:37 PM

It means non hbcu or non bcs marching bands do not typically get the same opportunitys.

The Eagle's Cliff
July 18th, 2011, 08:00 PM
We last played Georgia Southern in 92 I believe. I wish our schools could restart a series.

Win the MEAC and you've got a good chance of coming to Paulsonxpeacex

citdog
July 18th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Hello All,

The Good Old Days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gKxlHAL474

CID1990
July 18th, 2011, 09:20 PM
The Good Old Days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gKxlHAL474

Nice.

I was the last drum major to direct Dixie at The Citadel. That's me in the movie.

BlueHenSinfonian
July 18th, 2011, 09:29 PM
The "Pride of Delaware" Blue Hen marching band has floated at around 300-350 members for the past decade or so, and is integral to the UD football experience. I haven't been make it back to UD in a while, but as recently as '06 or so when I was last in the state during football season the band still started out before each game with a parade through the tailgating fans playing the fight song and selections from the current field show. I've heard a nasty rumor that the pre-game parade is no longer being done, but I'm hoping it's just a nasty rumor.

The UDMB performs in the DCI style, focusing on musicality and precision with a healthy dose of old fashioned 'Spread 'em and wail' college band style during field shows. Generally Prof. Sarver tries to find a balance of crowd-pleasers and tunes which stretch the limits of abilities of the band for field-show selections. The pre-game show has been virtually the same (drill adjusted for the number of band members and the capability to make new sets with them) for decades, and is based on a more military style of drill.

There have been strong ties between the UDMB and the UMass Marching Band. The late George Parks, the previous director of the UMMB, went to HS in Newark, DE, and started his collegiate career at UD before transferring to Westchester University of PA (taking the UD Tuba's song Bozo with him to WCUPA, where it has evolved into its own unique version). Heidi Sarver, current director of the UDMB, went to UMass and marched under Parks. The two collaborated with Parks' Drum Major Academy, and Sarver often wrote the drill for UMMB shows. For a while the UDMB has always gone up to Amherst for the UMass game, and the UMMB has come down to Newark for the UD game. The trips were a highlight of the season while I was in the UDMB, and hopefully UD and UMass will find a way to keep the series going even after UMass transissions into the MAC.

During the 3rd quarter of each game brass section of the UDMB moves amongst the stands playing for the crowd (and at certain times running up and down the steep UD East and West stands while carrying heavy instruments and playing as loudly as possibly, it's a workout), most of the brass playing 'First Down' the Tubas doing 'Bozo'. Both can be heard here, though the audio sucks because of the angle it was recorded from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XObcDf-Nejc

The UDMB has at various times performed numerous exhibitions at the annual Allentown Collegiate Marching Band Festival, as well as shows for high school groups at Tournament of Bands Atlantic Coast Championships, USSBA's Regionals, and Bands of America's Grand National competition. Members of the UDMB have been featured on stage with Keith Urban in concert, and the band as a whole was part of Obama's inaugural parade in '08.

The Cats
July 18th, 2011, 09:40 PM
WCU's Pride of the Mountains at the 2011 Rose Parade Bandfest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waL2SE_Xa0k&feature=related

bjtheflamesfan
July 18th, 2011, 09:40 PM

The one thing about the Sudler Trophy is that it is no respecter of divisions, races, conferences or anything. JMU has won it, UMASS has won it, as our FAMU friend noted, the Marching 100 has won it.

As for my school's band, the Spirit of the Mountain at Liberty University has steadily grown over the years and has had opportunities to play for teh New York giants, teh Macy;s Thanksgiving Day Parade and even got to show how we do at Wake Forest and Lafayette (Pards fans could give their own review of the bands performance in 2009). Dr Kerr would like to take the band back to the Macy's parade, play in the Tournament of Roses parade or even play the 7th inning stretch at a World Series game

superman7515
July 18th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I've heard a nasty rumor that the pre-game parade is no longer being done, but I'm hoping it's just a nasty rumor.

Last year they didn't come through the tailgating as they had in the past on the west parking lots, they just started out playing under the west stands and did the walk around as usual to the northeast corner. I thought that was just temporary though due to the construction area for the expansion of the Bob Carpenter Center.

JSU02
July 18th, 2011, 10:59 PM
I'm glad the Marching Southerners still play it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWzPn0kiP5E

Grizzaholic
July 18th, 2011, 11:05 PM
So...the GRIZ will win the Chipper this year???? Have you seen pics of Wa-Griz?????

citdog
July 18th, 2011, 11:34 PM

I just found my 2nd favorite FCS team.

http://cache2.artprintimages.com/p/LRG/52/5281/MB5IG00Z/art-print/todd-gipstein-alabama-state-monument-on-the-gettysburg-battlefield.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0n4izWmWug

BlueHenSinfonian
July 18th, 2011, 11:35 PM

The Tuba players in the Marching Southerners using Conn recording basses instead of sousaphones flirts with the line between brilliance and insanity. Either way I have to respect them for it.

JSU02
July 19th, 2011, 12:01 AM
The Tuba players in the Marching Southerners using Conn recording basses instead of sousaphones flirts with the line between brilliance and insanity. Either way I have to respect them for it.

That gives the Southerner's their signature sound. Nobody sounds like them.

CID1990
July 19th, 2011, 02:28 AM

Yes, but nobody knows they still play it, because nobody is in the stadium. It is like a tree falling in a forest and nobody's there.

dgtw
July 19th, 2011, 05:56 AM
That gives the Southerner's their signature sound. Nobody sounds like them.

My wife marched color guard with the Southerners back in the 1980s. To her, there is no finer marching band in the country.

To me, they all sound alike, but I hate sleeping on the couch, so I don't tell her that.

carney2
July 19th, 2011, 07:57 AM
the Spirit of the Mountain at Liberty University has steadily grown over the years and has had opportunities to play for teh New York giants, teh Macy;s Thanksgiving Day Parade and even got to show how we do at Wake Forest and Lafayette (Pards fans could give their own review of the bands performance in 2009).

Ask and ye shall receive. In my opinion, the best band ever to appear at Lafayette's Fisher Field/Stadium. My wife never goes to a game, but one of our daughters was in town with nothing to do so they chattered their way through the first half with intentions of leaving at any minute. When they saw the size of the Liberty band (200+?) and all of those extra instruments being lined up along the sidelines, they hung in for halftime and were not disappointed.

wheatstraw78
July 19th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Please don't play that in Nashville this year.

JRCA
July 19th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I would like to give props to a few college bands in FCS. I do love the bands, as I am a H.S. Band director myself. I go to the games for the football game, but I always watch the bands...anyway, I rarely find a good hotdog at most stadiums, but that another thread for another time. One thing really cool is the variety among the college bands. From the "showbands", Corps style bands to the historically black university bands. There is a special place in my heart for the bands from the military academies.

I will say one of the toughest moments in my marching band career was around thirty years ago when the 60 piece (at that time) Elon Band had to follow the massive and incredible Norfolk State band. NSU was amazing that night. The game ended in a 20-20 tie, for the record.

Here are a few bands I have seen recently that were outstanding. JMU, the MRD have been awesome for a long time. The wall of sound that band produces is rather incredible. The Western Carolina band is also rather amazing. They are a bit more production oriented that JMU and they are a lot of fun to watch. Another FCS band that traditionally is very, very good is the Morehead State University Band. Though I haven't seem MSU in three years, I was always impressed.

The Liberty University Band is also fantastic. The improvement in the LU band has been amazing over the past decade. If you get a chance, watch them! Their 2007 show was really outstanding. A great sound and a fine overall production.

I have always wanted to see some of the bands mentioned in this thread from the deep south, especially the "Marching Southerners". The little bit I have seen on TV and the internet looks great. Hopefully I'll get the chance to see some of them soon.

bjtheflamesfan
July 19th, 2011, 03:53 PM
JRCA I appreciate the kind words. I dont know if you have had a chance to tell Dr Kerr (the director) but definitely drop him a line if you already havent. Also, check out video of the 2010 show "iShuffle: Stuck on Replay" many of the membership think that was the best show ever and it was widely praised by crowds both at Liberty and down in Myrtle Beach when we played a portion for the Coastal fans (I was in the hospital when the band performed it at JMU so I will let one of their fans offer a review of the performance up there)

Cleets
July 19th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Speaking of BANDS: If you can struggle through this amazingly bad video until about 1:50 you'll see Cleets laying down the guitar solo for Hot Blooded as a guest appearance live on stage...
The band is Magic Bus, and they are some old friends (buddies) I have known and jammed with for years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJhAYQpcEd8

Longhorn
July 19th, 2011, 04:34 PM
In the FWIW category, the bands that have won the Sudler Trophy are considered the best of the best, info about this award is listed here:

http://www.sousafoundation.org/allProjects/trophy.htm

To date, only 3 bands from institutions that play FB at the FCS level have won the Sudler Trophy. The past winners (a band can only win it once) are listed in reverse chronological order here:

2011- University of Notre Dame
2009 - Western Carolina University
2007 – Indiana University
2006 – University of Arkansas
2005 – Penn State University
2004 – Auburn University
2003 – University of Alabama
2002 – Louisiana State University
2001 – Texas A&M University
2000 – University of Georgia
1999 – Texas Tech University
1998 – University of Massachusetts
1997 – West Virginia University
1996 – University of Nebraska
1995 – Purdue University
1994 – James Madison University
1993 – University of California Los Angeles
1992 – Northwestern University
1991 – Arizona State University
1990 – University of Iowa
1989 – University of Kansas
1988 – Michigan State University
1987 – University of Oklahoma
1986 – University of Texas at Austin
1985 – Florida A&M University
1984 – Ohio State University
1983 – University of Illinois
1982 – University of Michigan

RabidRabbit
July 19th, 2011, 04:54 PM
http://youtu.be/4Z9n7Yp4dCI

SDSU's Pride of the Dakotas Marching band. 2 Rose Bowl Parades, 2 Presidential Inaugurations, numerous MN Vikings half-times. It's a big deal to be a member of the "Pride".

JRCA
July 19th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Bjtheflamesfan,

I have talked with Dr. Kerr many times over the years. I taught in Campbell County for many years, so I had a working relationship with him. I am no homer though, what I said about the Liberty Band is a true statement as attested by others in this thread. The Liberty kids and directors have done a fantastic job over the last decade, of course with support from the administration.

I was up in Lynchburg this past week and drove by the Liberty stadium. Wow! I was amazed at the improvements and additions to the stadium. I was there last at the State championship game in '06. The growth on campus at LU is really stunning to see. What is the seating capacity there now?

Now, we need to get Liberty and Elon to start playing each other on a yearly basis. I always enjoyed our rivalry. We had some good games over the years, all way back to the NAIA days of, LBC and Elon College. I am also a big fan of getting Liberty in the Southern Conference. I think you guys are a very logical fit for the SoCon.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 19th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Speaking of BANDS: If you can struggle through this amazingly bad video until about 1:50 you'll see Cleets laying down the guitar solo for Hot Blooded as a guest appearance live on stage...
The band is Magic Bus, and they are some old friends (buddies) I have known and jammed with for years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJhAYQpcEd8

HOLY CHEE-RIST! What a god damn freak show that is! Looks like the party scene at Franks place in Blue Velvet.

http://rpmedia.ask.com/ts?u=/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1c/FrankBooth.jpg/300px-FrankBooth.jpg

HEY! YOU BOYS WANNA COME OVER TO MY PAD AFTER THE GIG FOR AN AFTER HOUR PARTY I'M THROWING!?

Hey do you boys know "A Candy-Colored Clown" by any chance?

NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDZItMrmtNI

bjtheflamesfan
July 19th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Just north of 19,000 after phase I JRCA. we had a nice crowd for the USSBA competition last fall as well

bjtheflamesfan
July 19th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Ask and ye shall receive. In my opinion, the best band ever to appear at Lafayette's Fisher Field/Stadium. My wife never goes to a game, but one of our daughters was in town with nothing to do so they chattered their way through the first half with intentions of leaving at any minute. When they saw the size of the Liberty band (200+?) and all of those extra instruments being lined up along the sidelines, they hung in for halftime and were not disappointed.
Actually in 2009 it was 192 and 2010 it was 185. Dr Kerr is hoping to finally break that 200 member ceiling this fall

Rob Iola
July 19th, 2011, 10:18 PM

The Ellen Show?

nccuque82
July 19th, 2011, 10:39 PM
NCCU Marching Sound Machine, is fresh off ROSE Parade and Bandfest. Check out the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl_YeYhVImM&feature=feedu

HBCU Band with a pit.xnodxxbowx

Humble Steward
July 20th, 2011, 01:47 PM
The Ellen Show?

MARCHING WILDCATS SHINE NATIONALLY ON ELLEN DEGENERES SHOW

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Performing in front of sold-out Florida Classic or Battle of the Bands is one thing. A nationally televised talk show is another.

But the Marching Wildcats kept their usual poise and precision when they appeared on the Ellen DeGeneres show aired Friday, February 4.

Twenty-eight members of the “Pride’’ made the trip to Hollywood, appearing immediately after the comedian’s opening monologue and an extended performance at the show’s end and over the closing credits.

Even Ms. DeGeneres got into the act, matching steps with drum major Javarus Swanigan (Orlando, Fla.) and playing drums during the opening set.

“She caught on pretty quick,’’ Swanigan said of Ms. DeGeneres. “I have to give her credit, she really can move.”

Director of Bands Donovan Wells accepted the invitation to perform, which was arranged through Honda after the Marching Wildcats put on a dazzling display at the Honda Battle of the Bands. Ms. DeGeneres wanted a marching band for that day’s Super Bowl theme-showed, which included a remote from Jacksonville, Fla., an appearance by Wilma McNabb, the mother of Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, and a pee wee football team from Whittier, Calif. dressed in New England Patriot and Philadelphia Eagle uniforms. Celebrity guests were actress Cate Blanchett (“The Aviator”) and Peter Gallagher (“The O.C.”).

“I couldn’t be prouder of the kids,’’ Wells said. “We only had a couple of days to prepare, but we responded very well. What an incredible experience this was – we were treated with the utmost professionalism and courtesy by Ms. DeGeneres and her staff.”

Rehearsals and the time leading up to the taping were hectic, but once the day concluded, Ms. DeGeneres took time to chat with the band members, giving the inside story of life in show business as well as learning about the finer points about being in a marching band. There was also plenty of time for the much coveted photo opportunity.

“Most celebrities we’ve dealt with will make only the obligatory visit but Ms.DeGeneres was incredible,’’ Wells said.

The Marching Wildcat representation included Dexter Bailey (trumpet), Decatur, Ga.; Adrian Barnes (Percussion), Mitchellville, Md.; André Borders (tuba), Miami; Christopher Brown (trumpet), Atlanta; Idris Butler (percussion); Atlanta; Luke Caley (Percussion), Opa Locka, Fla.; Derron Chandler (trumpet), Carol City, Fla.; Jeffery Coachman (percussion), Miami; Shane Colquhoun (percussion), Orlando; James Douglas (baritone), Atlanta; Tony Dowe (percussion), Hollywood, Fla.; Gerald Fuller (trombone), Miami; Breyon Glenn (percussion), Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.; Dorian Hannah (french horn), Tampa; Stephen Holmes (percussion) Orlando; Ransford Hyman (tuba); Atlanta; Gregory A. Jones (tuba) Stone Mountain, Ga.; Lawrence O. Leverette (french horn), Atlanta; William McCollum, Jr. (trombone), Portsmouth, Va.; LeEvan Moffatt (tuba), Stone Mountain, Ga.; Christopher Moseley (trumpet), Richmond, Va.; Bruce Person, Jr. (trombone) Clinton, Md.; Curtis Reid (trumpet), Orlando; Christopher Robinson (trumpet), Pompano Beach, Fla.; Reshard Robinson (trumpet), Ft. Lauderdale, Fla; Jemal Shelton (baritone), Orlando; and Terran Taylor (percussion), Lithonia, Ga.

Judging by Swanigan’s cell phone activity, Friday’s show was watched by numerous Wildcat faithful.

“People have been calling me non-stop since about 4:30 on Friday,’’ Swanigan said. “Everyone I’ve talked to has said how exciting they were to see us and how proud they were of the band.”

The Marching Wildcats now turn their attention to a February 20 appearance at the Daytona 500 pre-race show, where they will appear with the legendary Beach Boys and Vanessa Williams to be aired nationally on Fox.

The Pro-Bowl performance will be the latest of many high-profile events in the last decade, including:

•NFL Super Bowl pre-game show
•NFL halftime shows for the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
•NASCAR Daytona 500 pre-race show
•ABC Walt Disney World Christmas Special
•MTV Super Bowl Rock N’ Jock Special
•Honda Battle of the Bands
•The Ellen Degeneres Show
•EA Sports Video Soundtrack
•Featured appearance in 20th Century Fox film “Drumline”
•Featured appearance in television commercial for the Cadillac DTS

TheRevSFA
July 20th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Lumberjack Marching Band - The Boldest Sound from the Oldest Town (as Nacogdoches claims to be the oldest town in Texas)...eh they did a good job playing Earth, Wind, and Fire last year.....

superman7515
July 20th, 2011, 02:06 PM
The Ellen Show?

Twenty-eight members of the “Pride’’ made the trip...

There's your connection.

GannonFan
July 20th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Gotta say, Southern even sounds great on TV so I can just imagine how good they sound in person. That's definitely on my bucket list. As for the CAA, the best band, by far, is leaving the CAA after this year as UMass heads off to the MAC. Just a great sound and fantastic performances. Always looked forward to UMass coming to Newark and luckily we get them in Newark for one more year this season. They'll be missed.

darell1976
July 20th, 2011, 05:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlPNGov5HQY&feature=related

UND's Pride of the North!!!

bjtheflamesfan
July 30th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Actually in 2009 it was 192 and 2010 it was 185. Dr Kerr is hoping to finally break that 200 member ceiling this fall

Just got word that the Liberty marching band will break 200 for the first time ever this fall

bjtheflamesfan
July 30th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Bjtheflamesfan,

I have talked with Dr. Kerr many times over the years. I taught in Campbell County for many years, so I had a working relationship with him. I am no homer though, what I said about the Liberty Band is a true statement as attested by others in this thread. The Liberty kids and directors have done a fantastic job over the last decade, of course with support from the administration.

I was up in Lynchburg this past week and drove by the Liberty stadium. Wow! I was amazed at the improvements and additions to the stadium. I was there last at the State championship game in '06. The growth on campus at LU is really stunning to see. What is the seating capacity there now?

Now, we need to get Liberty and Elon to start playing each other on a yearly basis. I always enjoyed our rivalry. We had some good games over the years, all way back to the NAIA days of, LBC and Elon College. I am also a big fan of getting Liberty in the Southern Conference. I think you guys are a very logical fit for the SoCon.

Id like to see Elon and Liberty play again as well...if for no other reason than the Elon and Liberty bands getting together for a little marching band jam session before the game...I know we played with CCU at their "skull session" before the game in Conway last year

MSUBear42
July 30th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Missouri State's Pride Marching Band, best in the midwest, best in the MVC. The 390+ member band practices 3-4 hours a day during the season. It's insane.

Played in the Macy's Thanksgiving parade 4 times, the Rose Bowl Parade 3 times, the Orange Bowl parade, countless NFL games, the Chicago Thanksgiving Parade, the London New Years parade, they have also played at St. Paul's Cathedral and Westminster Hall in London.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaEFtmSiEOI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX0WAaTxhd0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16t5EUJFcDg

For the audio only:
http://www.youtube.com/user/djt434s#p/u/4/YYBE7c1hZhM

And for our HBCU friends:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NxnhFW00w8

MSUBear42
July 30th, 2011, 10:04 AM
http://youtu.be/4Z9n7Yp4dCI

SDSU's Pride of the Dakotas Marching band. 2 Rose Bowl Parades, 2 Presidential Inaugurations, numerous MN Vikings half-times. It's a big deal to be a member of the "Pride".

It was fun having your band come down for our game against you a few years ago. Two of the better FCS bands around. Only beef with you guys was you used sheet music!

WileECoyote06
July 30th, 2011, 10:52 AM
NCCU Marching Sound Machine, is fresh off ROSE Parade and Bandfest. Check out the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl_YeYhVImM&feature=feedu

HBCU Band with a pit.xnodxxbowx

Hey fellow Eagle!

I've never seen this video. I swear our band stays breaking the HBCU mold. One of my favorite performances from them was when the flag girls brandished the rifles and they performed military style.

JaxSinfonian
July 30th, 2011, 10:55 AM

If you know anyone who marches a 20J, you know they're clearly on the "insanity" side of that line.

So, to answer the question posed by the thread, the Southerners are a big deal at JSU. The band's alumni are it's biggest supporters, and they're well-loved by students, by the team and by the school as a whole. They're big, they're good, and they try things many other bands won't. Somehow, they manage to keep a crowd of semi-rural Alabamians entertained with Shostakovich, Cuban-influenced jazz, Copland, rock, pop, the occasional hip-hop tune in the stands, etc. Here's a sampling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvj_b-oKi0c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmNa2xglHOA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW8gKoY6M8A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=640gmkVZwcI

Oh, and one more thing: Whup Troy.

bojeta
July 30th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Cal Poly's Pride of the Pacific performing Steppenwolf's Magic Carpet Ride which appeals to my Harley riding side. Haha... I can actually see myself in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_5kDvo0IRM

JMad03
July 30th, 2011, 04:12 PM
JaxSinfonian, I have a question:
There was a drum corps- Spirit of Atlanta that for a while was taken over by JSU- Spirit of JSU. Did they ever perform for the football games? If so, that's pretty cool.
Haven't seen any posts for my pride and joy, JMU Marching Royal Dukes, so here ya go.
I was a member for my entire college career. They are currently around 425 members, have played in Macy's at least twice that I know of, played a few tours in Europe- Ireland, Greece, and Monaco.
Back when JMU football was pretty irrelevant, which was quite a while, many people came for the band. It's a postgame tradition for the band to play on the student side of the field. I've always been impressed with the amount of support JMU fans and especially students have given to its band. Very proud to be an MRD and here's a portion of a show they did for last years Parade of Champions, and band competition they host every year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF45K5iOEeI

bjtheflamesfan
July 30th, 2011, 04:52 PM
There was a drum corps- Spirit of Atlanta that for a while was taken over by JSU- Spirit of JSU. Did they ever perform for the football games? If so, that's pretty cool.
Haven't seen any posts for my pride and joy, JMU Marching Royal Dukes, so here ya go.
I was a member for my entire college career. They are currently around 425 members, have played in Macy's at least twice that I know of, played a few tours in Europe- Ireland, Greece, and Monaco.
Back when JMU football was pretty irrelevant, which was quite a while, many people came for the band. It's a postgame tradition for the band to play on the student side of the field. I've always been impressed with the amount of support JMU fans and especially students have given to its band. Very proud to be an MRD and here's a portion of a show they did for last years Parade of Champions, and band competition they host every year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF45K5iOEeI

I want to say that I enjoyed listening to the MRD last year in Harrisonburg (even if I got there late because I was in the hospital much of the evening). Hopefully youll make the trip to Lynchburg again and there will be more of an opportunity for fellowship between the two bands prior to the game

JaxSinfonian
July 30th, 2011, 08:08 PM

No, JMad, Spirit never performed for football crowds. There's simply no way that ever would have worked, for a few reasons. I'll see what I can do to simplify them.

Drum & bugle corps are typically made up of performers from all over the country. They really only exist during the summers and for several weekends during the rest of the year, when students come from all over to audition for the group and do some rehearsing for the upcoming summer. The season ends with the DCI Championships (http://www.dci.org) in early August, and after that the kids all go back to their respective high schools and colleges. While lots of JSU kids marched with Spirit during the corps' time here, many Spirit members never had any other connection to the university.

Lots of folks in the marching band world marveled over JSU's "takeover" of Spirit when it happened, suggesting that it was JSU's sponsorship of "it's own drum corps" that helped the Southerners look and sound so good, but that really misses the mark. For one thing, the Southerners were wowing crowds with their own signature sound and style long before Spirit ever came to town, and Spirit has its own long and impressive tradition that has almost nothing to do with JSU (I say "almost" because Spirit's founder, Freddy Martin, is a JSU alum & former Southerner, and because as the closest corps to JSU during Spirit's Atlanta years, lots of Southerners spent their summers touring with the corps).

In 2000, with Spirit's finances shaky, a deal was arranged that brought the corps' summer camps and throughout-the-year rehearsals to JSU's campus. The corps' equipment was stored here, and some of that equipment - I think - was shared with the Southerners, since the two groups' performance seasons didn't really overlap. JSU's director of bands, Ken Bodiford, became the corps' director, and some of JSU's staff wound up working with Spirit as well. There may also have been some financial arrangements that I'm not privy to, such as JSU guaranteeing loans for the corps. But any drum corps' most important supporters are it's alumni, and many, many Spirit alumni have no connection whatsoever to JSU. Anything not called "Spirit of Atlanta," must have just sounded wrong to them, and "Spirit of JSU" probably gave some of them hives. By 2008, the links between the school and the corps were not as strong as they had been, and the corps wound up moving its base of operations back to the Atlanta area. During the eight-year relationship, Spirit still wore its traditional blue & baby blue colors - not JSU red - still played its signature song of "Georgia," and very much maintained its own identity. Even if the seasons had overlapped, it would have seemed odd to have a baby-blue-clad group out on the field for a JSU football game, where the fans are very used to their Marching Southerners.

You probably already knew a lot of that, so I'm sorry if I over-explained. Hopefully it'll give others a clearer picture.

By the way, thanks for posting the video of the MRD. I've always heard a lot about them, but I don't know if I've ever seen a performance before. They're good!

JMad03
July 30th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I understand drum corps completely. I marched with The Cadets 99-00. I honestly didn't know much about the takeover of Spirit of Atlanta and was quite surprised when JSU decided to get them over. Money is almost always what forces a corps to go under (only exception that I can recall is Star of Indiana). Since the school was sponsoring them I didn't know how they took care of membership. I thought maybe part of the deal would have been to perform at JSU. Since it wasn't made up entirely of JSU students, I completely understand the logistical nightmare of making that happen in the fall. Thanks for clearing that up.
I do have to say as a drum corps fan, I was glad to see Spirit able to get back on its feet.
JSU does have a very good band- had never seen them before this thread- you definitely didn't need a drum corps to entertain the fans.

dgtw
July 30th, 2011, 08:37 PM
There is some big drum corps show at the Georgia Dome this weekend. My wife (a Grey Echelon who marched with Boniford in the 1980s) is there and just texted me that Spirit put on a very good show.

TwoFeathers
August 1st, 2011, 09:20 AM
Hello All,

With all due respect, the Tribe Pep Band has to be near the bottom relative to importance. They are maybe 15 people dressed in street clothes... Fun, but nearly non-existant. I'm just saying...

Southernermom
August 3rd, 2011, 03:38 PM
The videos that were posted of the Marching Southerners were from practice or competions. There are plenty of people in the stands during football games at JSU

DFW HOYA
August 3rd, 2011, 03:50 PM
I-AA schools that have won the Sudler Trophy form the top tier of bands. Everyone else gets in line behind them.

1985 Florida A&M University
1994 James Madison University
1998 University of Massachusetts
2009 Western Carolina University

bjtheflamesfan
August 3rd, 2011, 04:33 PM
Liberty's band is an integral part of the gameday experience. We have shared our field with the MRD both home and away and hope to do the same in 2011 (Rumor has it that Dr Kerr got an email from a JMU fan who said that the SotM did a better job than the MRD last fall up in Harrisonburg but Im sure if that was said it wouldnt be by anyone of them from this board)

grizband
August 3rd, 2011, 09:23 PM
We have one
I was in it

WestCoastAggie
August 3rd, 2011, 09:39 PM
Question: Are there any bands in the FCS ranks outside of HBCU's that use show style marching?

roTSU50
August 4th, 2011, 01:04 AM
You all should look forward to seeingt Tennessee State University Aristocrat of bands at the Hall of Fame this weekend. We would have been the halftime performance if the game didn't get cancelled.
More Info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristocrat_of_Bands

Russ B
August 4th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Question: Are there any bands in the FCS ranks outside of HBCU's that use show style marching?

UC Davis uses a Big-10-style high-step, which may or may not be quite what you were asking, depending on your definition of "show style marching." :)

DJOM
August 4th, 2011, 07:13 PM
The Princeton Scat Bank uses a form of show style marching.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 4th, 2011, 07:22 PM
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/rank?versionId=1&listId=512#topOfList

HBCU 'Human Jukebox' named top band

POSTED: Wednesday, August 3, 2011 - 12:37pm

UPDATED: Wednesday, August 3, 2011 - 12:58pm

BATON ROUGE, La (SU) — The Southern University Marching Band has been selected as the top marching band among the nation’s historically black colleges, according to a national news magazine website.

HBCU Digest listed SU’s “Human Jukebox” as the number one marching band, outranking rivals Florida A&M University’s “Marching 100,” Jackson State University’s “Sonic Boom of the South,” Grambling State University’s Tiger Marching Band and the Bethune-Cookman University “Marching Wildcats.”

http://www.nbc33tv.com/news/local-news/hbcu-human-jukebox-named-top-band

Fashion website ranks SU Among the Best Dressed Bands in the Country

Source: 2theadvocate.com

It’s not just the music, it’s the style. When Southern University’s Human Jukebox struts on to the field, the striking dark blue uniforms with their sky blue chest plates demand attention.

Even if they couldn’t play a note — and what a laughable thought that is — these musicians could entertain the crowds that fill Mumford Stadium on looks alone. A flip of the gold-lined cape, a snap of the white feather billowing at the front of their hats, a peek of snow white spats and there’s no doubt — this is one sharp-dressed band.

And the Golden Band from Tiger Land across town ain’t chopped liver.

Now a fashion Web site — Fashionnew100.com — has recognized both bands for their sartorial splendor.

The Web site has named Southern University’s as the “best dressed college band” in the country and LSU comes in at No. 6 on the list of 10.

“We picked Southern University as No. 1 because of the style of the uniform and the business-like presence it brings,” Fashionnews100.com spokesman Ryan Powell said in a news release from the SU Office of Media Relations. “Southern University’s band uniforms fit every band member as if it were specially tailored for each individual
http://marchingsport.com/m/?p=370

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 07:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkWKDYyECgo