PDA

View Full Version : Transitioning to DI

kperk014
July 17th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I talked with several UNA coaches a few years ago about the possibility of moving up and they were excited about it. It's good to see they still are!

http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20110717/SPORTS40/110719869/1164/sports?Title=Transitioning-to-DI

TexasTerror
July 17th, 2011, 02:49 PM
This thing needs to be finalized... the more prolonged until UNA 'finalizes' the timeline of a transition, the more troubling it becomes for the institution. They have a stated timeline and are working their tails to reach those goals (namely the financial ones) related to their current timeline, but they need to 'stick' to it.

There are student-athletes that do not want to be part of a transition and not knowing how it will fall during their four or five years at UNA could prevent players from coming there. Then again as coaches acknowledge, there aer some positives they can promote.

One problem with recruiting during the change is that UNA will not be eligible for postseason play until it is a full Division I member in the 2017-18 season. After playing in Division II for the next two years UNA must go through the four-year reclassification process, which will make the Lions ineligible for the playoffs during that time.

dgtw
July 17th, 2011, 03:03 PM
It will be a tough sell to recruit a class that will never go to the playoffs.

TexasTerror
July 17th, 2011, 03:45 PM

I have always thought transitions were a bit lengthy... the one to Division III from NAIA or other scholarship-levels makes sense, because you want to phase out scholarships and allow your scholarship kids to wrap up their business without just pulling them.

The ones into Division I and Division II do not make as much sense, though it may have more to do with the kids having not qualified under Division I rules and giving them a chance to finish out.

JoshUCA
July 17th, 2011, 03:47 PM

Yes it is. You just have to sell them on the university itself. The student life, being trail blazers, etc. It also helps if you can try to schedule a very nice away game sometime during there time there...UCA played at Hawaii as kind of a reward for their effort.

dgtw
July 17th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Birmingham-Southern dropped from Division I to D-III in 2006. So many basketball and baseball players left, they didn't even field a team the first season. They will be eligible for the postseason for the first time in the 2011-2012 season.

So it seems the transition for dropping from I to III is five years, though they never had scholarship football, starting a team after going to D-III.

It is really just one recruiting class that will miss out on playoffs, for those that aren't redshirted.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 17th, 2011, 04:46 PM
This thing needs to be finalized... the more prolonged until UNA 'finalizes' the timeline of a transition, the more troubling it becomes for the institution. They have a stated timeline and are working their tails to reach those goals (namely the financial ones) related to their current timeline, but they need to 'stick' to it.

There are student-athletes that do not want to be part of a transition and not knowing how it will fall during their four or five years at UNA could prevent players from coming there. Then again as coaches acknowledge, there aer some positives they can promote.

Totally agree. They will do themselves some damage if they don't have their ducks in a row on this thing and draw it out at all.

Here's to ya UNA. Do it right but do it quickly.

1andDone
July 17th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I wish we could have played UNA one time, but hey UWA isn't so bad.

kperk014
July 17th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I don't think moving up will hurt our recruiting at all, at least not in Alabama. I've yet to meet a high school athlete who's goal isn't to play Division I. From this area alone we lose many good athletes who go to DI schools who don't have a prayer at anything JUST BECAUSE they will be playing DI. It will be a much GREATER recruiting tool than hindrance, you can bank on it.

kperk014
July 17th, 2011, 07:18 PM

Not really. Just tell those kids who they'll be playing during the regular season and it wont' be that big of a deal. The reason players left Bham-Southern wasn't because they couldn't go to the playoff, it was because they were leaving DI. All you have to do is go to New Orleans Privateer forums and have a look.

TexasTerror
July 17th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I don't think moving up will hurt our recruiting at all, at least not in Alabama. I've yet to meet a high school athlete who's goal isn't to play Division I. From this area alone we lose many good athletes who go to DI schools who don't have a prayer at anything JUST BECAUSE they will be playing DI. It will be a much GREATER recruiting tool than hindrance, you can bank on it.

The transition could prove a bit of a hindrance for the first few years, particularly if the institution is not on a strict timeline to the "finish line". The initial group of student-athletes coming in this year know they have at least two (if not more) years of competing for Division II and conference titles. The ones coming in next year may have a one year chance with no certainties beyond that. Just are a lot of uncertainties in the immediate horizon until UNA clearly is on that timeline with a "finish line".

Not really. Just tell those kids who they'll be playing during the regular season and it wont' be that big of a deal. The reason players left Bham-Southern wasn't because they couldn't go to the playoff, it was because they were leaving DI. All you have to do is go to New Orleans Privateer forums and have a look.

Both situations are very unique as both switched from Division I to non-scholarship Division III. In the case of New Orleans, they never really started the move to Division III and are now going to Division II. That transition from I to II is much more expedited than any other that I am aware of in the NCAA. They lost most of their athletes because of the change to Division III. No one will ever know if the same would of happened from I to II.

TheBisonator
July 18th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Ironic thing about NDSU's transition to DI that ended in 2008 was that the class of football players who played from 2004 thru 2007 (the class that were ineligible thru the whole time) were probably our most talented group of players we've seen for at least 20 years.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 18th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Ironic thing about NDSU's transition to DI that ended in 2008 was that the class of football players who played from 2004 thru 2007 (the class that were ineligible thru the whole time) were probably our most talented group of players we've seen for at least 20 years.

True. You guys were exactly the opposite of what you'd expect. They were a very talented group and NDSU & UCA both got extremely good QB's in Walker & Brown to ease that transition somehow.

dgtw
July 18th, 2011, 05:02 PM
I am aware that the players left BSC because they were no longer D-I.

As for UNA, they will be playing in Cowboys Stadium this year. That will be more of a wow factor than anybody in the OVC.

Yes, D-I will attract a better quality player, but not everyone will want to be part of the transition. Right now the football team is an annual national champion contender, with the title game being played at home. Now they'll have to convince people to be trailblazers, but tell them they won't be able to use the trail once it is blazed. Basketball players will have no dream of March Madness and baseball players can't dream of Omaha.

It will just be one class totally shut out and once they get over that hump, recruiting will be easier. But I agree they need to stick to the timeline. I hope they succeed.

Redhawk2010
July 18th, 2011, 05:07 PM
As for UNA, they will be playing in Cowboys Stadium this year. That will be more of a wow factor than anybody in the OVC.

You do realize that Tennessee State plays all of its home games in an NFL stadium, right? And remember, the field is 120 yards regardless of where you play.. on a backwoods high school field or in a gigantic NFL stadium; it's still 120 yards. And playing in front of 5,000 fans in a 100,000 seat stadium is not that exciting really; just ask TSU.

dgtw
July 18th, 2011, 05:28 PM
I undertsand the game will not be that thrilling in a stadium that is 99% empty. I went to a high school game at Legion Field once and that had zero atmosphere.

But I would imagine the avergae high school football player is only aware of major FBS teams and knows little about anyone in the FCS unless he lives in a FCS town or has some family connection to one.

TheBisonator
July 18th, 2011, 05:35 PM
You do realize that Tennessee State plays all of its home games in an NFL stadium, right? And remember, the field is 120 yards regardless of where you play.. on a backwoods high school field or in a gigantic NFL stadium; it's still 120 yards. And playing in front of 5,000 fans in a 100,000 seat stadium is not that exciting really; just ask TSU.

Doesn't TSU usually get 15-20,000 fans to its games though?? That would fill up most of the lower deck...

kperk014
July 18th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Doesn't TSU usually get 15-20,000 fans to its games though?? That would fill up most of the lower deck...

Plus UNA fans travel really well even when it was 450 miles to Magnolia, Ar to watch the muleriders and Lions. Can you imagine how many locals (who make the short trip to Nashville a lot anyway) will help put a hefty crowd in LP? A big Lions game followed by an evening on 2nd and Broadway!

kperk014
July 18th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I am aware that the players left BSC because they were no longer D-I.

Yes, D-I will attract a better quality player, but not everyone will want to be part of the transition. Right now the football team is an annual national champion contender, with the title game being played at home. Now they'll have to convince people to be trailblazers, but tell them they won't be able to use the trail once it is blazed. Basketball players will have no dream of March Madness and baseball players can't dream of Omaha.

It will just be one class totally shut out and once they get over that hump, recruiting will be easier. But I agree they need to stick to the timeline. I hope they succeed.

You may be right about some players not coming because there won't be any playoffs but I think it will be more than offset by that undeniable urge to play DI. More high schoolers had rather go to a school who will get a shot or two at playing against FBS schools and being a member of DI. I think there's no question if you ask a high school senior if he had rather go DI or go DII and play Wingate (no offense to Wingate) in the playoffs, there's no doubt about it which he would choose.

TTUEagles
July 18th, 2011, 09:25 PM

Not even close for OVC games. Last year (TTU @ TSU - 6800 attendance), they blocked off an entire half of LP Field's lower bowl - TTU's fans sat in the corner and only half of TSU's side was filled. TSU, in my opinion, just doesn't get excited for conference games...Homecoming and their Classic games draw very well - other OVC games are about 5,000-10,000.

kperk014
July 19th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Not even close for OVC games. Last year (TTU @ TSU - 6800 attendance), they blocked off and entire half of LP Field's lower bowl - TTU's fans sat in the corner and only half of TSU's side was filled. TSU, in my opinion, just doesn't get excited for conference games...Homecoming and their Classic games draw very well - other OVC games are about 5,000-10,000.

Since T-Rac is a UNA grad, maybe we can use him to fool the citizens of Nashville into thinking the Titans are playing.