PDA

View Full Version : Best Game

Tribal
July 15th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Not that you've heard about. xnonox

Not what you saw on TV/live stream. xnonox

What is the best 1-AA/FCS game you've attended and why?

For me, W&M's comeback in the 2004 playoffs to beat Delaware in 2OT 44-38.

W&M was the A-10 champion, ranked #6 that year and their only 1-AA loss was to #3 UD in the 7th week. W&M had beaten #10 UNH, #16 NE, lost by 3 to UD, beat #19 Nova, #4 JMU, and #11 Hampton (playoff game). Trailed UD in Williamsburg by 21 points at the end of the 3rd quarter (31-10). On the first play of the 4th, W&M CB had a pick 6 (31-17 with 14:50 remaining).

4th quarter...
UD 3 and out.
Tribe converted 4th & 5. Subsequent TD (31-24 with just under 10 min remaining).
UD 3 and out.
W&M QB 6-6 and had 16 yrds rushing. TD (31-31 with just under 2 min remaining).

Tied at the end of first OT 38-38.

2nd OT...
W&M up 44-38. UD QB converted on 4th and 13 (on W&M 9).
UD incomplete on 1st down.
RB stopped in the backfield on 2nd down.
Incomplete on 3rd down.
UD stopped on 4th down but UD penalty gave them a second chance.
Final pass was swatted down in the endzone. Game over.

What made this game great for me was the miracle comeback against one of W&M's biggest rivals. The Tribe avenged the week 7 loss. Lastly, the UD fans chanted "Why so quiet?" throughout the entire 3rd quarter. They weren't chanting that as they walked out of the stadium.

JMU would avenge their regular season loss to the Tribe, and, of course, go on to win the NC.

citdog
July 15th, 2011, 03:20 PM
38-35 win over the university of South Carolina

10-3 win over the Arkansas razorbacks

Tribal
July 15th, 2011, 03:23 PM
To clarify...against another 1-AA/FCS team. W&M's win over UVA in 2009 was a great game, but UVA is obviously a FBS team.

bluehenbillk
July 15th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Yea that W&M game sucked from a UD perspective but I saw it on TV so it doesn't count :)

2 games stand out, one we lost a 62-56 five OT game to UR in 2007. Joe Flacco sent it into OT on a QB sneak as time ran out. The other we won over VU 59-42 in 2000. We were down early & came storming back to finally beat Bugs Bunny, err Brian Westbrook.

ValleyChamp
July 15th, 2011, 03:31 PM
2007 Playoffs, first round against UNH. UNH had just scored the go-ahead TD with about a minute left, and Eric Sanders led UNI right down the field and threw the game winning TD with only seconds remaining. Never heard the dome louder than it was after that play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e5o75sY-WE

And also, 2005 vs SIU. It was the last conference game of the season and it would decide the outright Gateway conference championship. UNI fell behind pretty big in the first half, but led a huge comeback in the 4th quarter. Came down to a 4th and 2 from the 35 yard line, which UNI converted for a TD and won the title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w8Gv5s4-CU

phoenixphanatic21
July 15th, 2011, 03:34 PM
2007: Elon 36 - Georgia Southern 33 (2OT)

My freshman year, first time I attended an Elon game that was on TV (think I got on a few times), first time we beat Georgia Southern in eight tries. I remember myself and the rest of the student section running back and forth from one end of the stadium to the other when the teams switched sides in overtime and the madness that occurred when we deflected that FG to win the game.

VBR_Productions
July 15th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Old Dominion hosted the College of William and Mary last September. The Monarchs lost 21-17 but showed that they could compete with the best of the CAA. It's the best game I've seen in person despite the loss because of the atmosphere. I can't recall attending a football game, college or pro, with that much electricity in the air. I hate using the term "electricity" but I can't think of any other term for it. I expect the ODU/JMU game to have that same feeling in October.

cannonballgsu
July 15th, 2011, 03:39 PM
2010 Win over App State.

Reason: We went into that game 4-4 with our hopes of a good first season under Coach Monken getting dim. Going into the half with a good feeling after cutting the lead to 7, then coming out and storming down the field to knot it up really got the crowd into the game. I don't think I can explain the feeling that I felt when I saw that fumble and recovery. I still get chills every time I think about it. That game and it's momentum turned us into the machine we were at the end of the season and it was one hell of a ride.

Tribe4SF
July 15th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Not that you've heard about. xnonox

Not what you saw on TV/live stream. xnonox

What is the best 1-AA/FCS game you've attended and why?

W&M was the A-10 champion, ranked #6 that year and their only 1-AA loss was to #3 UD in the 7th week. W&M had beaten #10 UNH, #16 NE, lost by 3 to UD, beat #19 Nova, #4 JMU, and #11 Hampton (playoff game). Trailed UD in Williamsburg by 21 points at the end of the 3rd quarter (31-10). On the first play of the 4th, W&M CB had a pick 6 (31-17 with 14:50 remaining).

4th quarter...
UD 3 and out.
Tribe converted 4th & 5. Subsequent TD (31-24 with just under 10 min remaining).
UD 3 and out.
W&M QB 6-6 and had 16 yrds rushing. TD (31-31 with just under 2 min remaining).

Tied at the end of first OT 38-38.

2nd OT...
W&M up 44-38. UD QB converted on 4th and 13 (on W&M 9).
UD incomplete on 1st down.
RB stopped in the backfield on 2nd down.
Incomplete on 3rd down.
UD stopped on 4th down but UD penalty gave them a second chance.
Final pass was swatted down in the endzone. Game over.

What made this game great for me was the miracle comeback against one of W&M's biggest rivals. The Tribe avenged the week 7 loss. Lastly, the UD fans chanted "Why so quiet?" throughout the entire 3rd quarter. They weren't chanting that as they walked out of the stadium.

JMU would avenge their regular season loss to the Tribe, and, of course, go on to win the NC.

One bit of suspense you left out was that PK Greg Kuehn had made 99 consecutive extra points when his attempt to put the Tribe up 45-38 in 2nd OT hit the upright. The stage was set for UD to score, and win with a PAT. The final series for UD was intense, with them getting two false start penalties on 4th down, and then converting 4th and 13, only to be denied four times inside the 10.

I-16Bandit
July 15th, 2011, 03:45 PM
2077: Elon 36 - Georgia Southern 33 (2OT)

If we are still in the FCS then, I'd be damned, Mr. See-er-of-the-future.

chattownmocs
July 15th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Honestly the most absurd, WTF, How did that happen game was.

App State 42 Chattanooga 41 2010.

Mountaineer
July 15th, 2011, 03:56 PM
1. 2008 vs. Wofford
#2 vs. #3 - ESPN2 - Halloween Night
30,000+ packed into KBS
70-24 demolition of the Terriers
Atmosphere was unbelievably electric

2. 2007 vs. James Madison
Playoff first round
The Dukes controlled the game from the opening possession. A fourth down pass from AE to a sprawling Devon Moore followed by an AE TD run put the Apps up 28-27. Next kickoff the Dukes marched right down the field and set themselves up for the game winning field goal from probably 15-20 yards out. The Mouth decided to run one more play - a handoff to freshman running back Jamal Sullivan. Gary Tharington swooped in and knocked the ball loose where it was recovered by Pierre Banks. A few knees later and the game was over. Only 14,000 or so were there for the game but I think it was probably the loudest I've ever heard KBS when the ball popped out. The stands were literally shaking.

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/1167/jmufumble.jpg

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/5927/1126525celebrate.jpg

BearsCountry
July 15th, 2011, 03:58 PM
2004 Missouri State/Sam Houston State game

In the final 3 minutes, the lead changed 4 times. Bears scored then Sam Houston State answered for the lead, then the Bears threw a 35 yard touchdown pass and took the lead again with 1:30 left. Bearkats got the ball and scored on an 83 yard bomb. Then the Bears won it with 2 seconds left on a touchdown pass.

Skjellyfetti
July 15th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Richmond 2009 and James Madison 2007 were the best finishes I've ever seen at App games.

Tribal
July 15th, 2011, 04:49 PM
One bit of suspense you left out was that PK Greg Kuehn had made 99 consecutive extra points when his attempt to put the Tribe up 45-38 in 2nd OT hit the upright. The stage was set for UD to score, and win with a PAT. The final series for UD was intense, with them getting two false start penalties on 4th down, and then converting 4th and 13, only to be denied four times inside the 10.

Yea, that too. I remember that I left my seat from the other side of the field and walked to our student section when UD was on the 9. When W&M stopped them on 4th down but the penalties gave UD another shot, I was ticked off. Great game. That was the 1st and only time I've ever rushed the field. My wife said she saw no player who looked as happy as me.

What's the best game for you, SF? You have had...let's just say...more viewing opportunities. And, not W&M's upset of Navy in 1967. I said games you watched--as a fan.

Tribal
July 15th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Are there any Appy fans on AGS who attended the game at the Big House?

Mountaineer
July 15th, 2011, 04:56 PM

Yeah, there are quite a few if memory serves. Not I though, I was watching from the comfort of my living room. xlolx

I did make it over to the stadium that night when the team arrived back into town. That was a wild time. xthumbsupx

dgtw
July 15th, 2011, 04:57 PM
10-3 win over the Arkansas razorbacks

For me, it was Jack Crowe's revenge.....Jax St 49 Ole Miss 48

jmufan999
July 15th, 2011, 05:23 PM
JMU comes back from 21-0 down at the half to stun App State in front of a record JMU crowd. Don't remember the final score. Well, I think it was 35-32 or something but am not positive. The NC was more fulfilling but a less interesting game.

lucchesicourt
July 15th, 2011, 05:28 PM
UCD's victory over Stanford in their first year moving from D2 to D1AA. We had minimal schollies, held Stanford offense to under 200 total yards, and the game winning TD came with 8 seconds left in the game on a short pass to Blaise Smith..
Biggest TD in UCD history to date.

Redhawk2010
July 15th, 2011, 05:29 PM
SEMO's victory over Tennessee State in 2008. TSU was ranked #19 in the nation at the time; SEMO was bad. TSU hit the go-ahead field goal with about a minute to go in the game. SEMO hits a 47-yarder as time expires to tie it. SEMO sends in their freshman QB on 3rd down in OT and he puts the ball right on the inside of the pylon for the win! Only down he played and he gets the win :) Only downside was I was on TSU's sideline so I couldn't really celebrate..

cmaxwellgsu
July 15th, 2011, 05:31 PM
The win over Montana for the 2000 championship probably takes it for me. We were cruising in the first half as we built a nice 20-3 lead. Then it got cold and flooded during half time. That is also the only time I've seen snow during a game. Montana just took the lead, and AP sealed the deal by taking it back on the first play from scrimmage. It's still the coolest thing I've ever seen in person.

Grizo406
July 15th, 2011, 05:41 PM
12 December 2009, Appalachian State University vs University of Montana, for a trip to Chattanooga!

Besides the final score, what I liked most were the Mountaineer fans! Their class, dignity, and sportsmanship, (before & after the game), potentiated an afternoon/evening of pure magic!!!

This game was AMAZING!!xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxsmileyclapx

Tribe4SF
July 15th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Yea, that too. I remember that I left my seat from the other side of the field and walked to our student section when UD was on the 9. When W&M stopped them on 4th down but the penalties gave UD another shot, I was ticked off. Great game. That was the 1st and only time I've ever rushed the field. My wife said she saw no player who looked as happy as me.

What's the best game for you, SF? You have had...let's just say...more viewing opportunities. And, not W&M's upset of Navy in 1967. I said games you watched--as a fan.

There have been many, but none more fulfilling as a fan than the 1970 win over Richmond to earn a Tangerine Bowl berth as SoCon champs. I think the Spiders were 9-1, and the Tribe was 4-6 going into the game. Spider fans were chucking tangerines even before kickoff. W&M put on a 4th qtr comeback with 5'6" Steve Regan hitting David Knight (went on to star for the Jets) with a 35 yd. TD pass with about 30 seconds left and a 34-33 W&M victory. City Stadium was sold out, and Spider fans were beside themselves. I got in a fight in traffic leaving the stadium when spider fans behind me kept bumping my car. They obviously couldn't see I had two graduated linemen in the car with me.

I know that game defies the thread instructions because we were both I-A at the time, but it was UR so I'll go with it anyway.

SideLine Shooter
July 15th, 2011, 06:48 PM
12 December 2009, Appalachian State University vs University of Montana, for a trip to Chattanooga!

Besides the final score, what I liked most were the Mountaineer fans! Their class, dignity, and sportsmanship, (before & after the game), potentiated an afternoon/evening of pure magic!!!

Thanks for the kind words. I have to say the same thing for the hospitality that the Montana fans showed us that day and night, a true class act. Although I was unhappy with the final score that is one of the best games I have shot along with the monster comeback against UTC in 2010 and the N/C in 2005 with UNI and also that big FBS win for us that does not count.

SideLine Shooter
July 15th, 2011, 06:50 PM

me!!!

DFW HOYA
July 15th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Georgetown 13, Holy Cross 12 (1998).

The Eagle's Cliff
July 15th, 2011, 06:58 PM
1989 National Championship win 37-34 vs Stephen F Austin at Paulson. Erk's last game and the Eagles were going for a perfect 15-0 and a 3rd NC in our 6th year of eligibility. We tied it up with 5:58 left in the game and intercepted a pass that set up the game winning field goal with 1:41 left.

It was my first in-person NC game and we tore the goal posts down for the first time at Paulson.

2000 NC game vs Montana mentioned above - great game!

2007 at App St. - Ended Appy's home winning streak to keep them from breaking our record. Total shocker for everyone.

2010 vs App St. - Avenged 2009 embarrassment at Boone and loved watching the "kids" celebrate and taste that kind of victory after such a long dry spell.

chattownmocs
July 15th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Funny how so many are mentioning "chattanooga" but it isnt the mecca right? Well maybe it isnt anymore but it was for a long time.

WileECoyote06
July 15th, 2011, 08:10 PM
NCCU vs NC A & T - rivalry games have been close for most of the past decade. In 2002 the Eagles broke a 12-game losing streak.

2002 Aggie-Eagle Classic . . . It rained earlier that day putting a damper on the tailgating and for a brief moment the sun shone through. This was after the classic had been interrupted by a hurricane (Floyd) and rains in previous year, causing attendance to fall from a high of 48K. The Aggies ran off 27 unanswered points in the first eleven minutes as the Eagles turned the ball over four times. The crowd began to thin as long-suffering Eagle fans shuffled back out to their tailgating areas as rain began to fall again.

Halftime came, after the Eagles had been held to zero first half yards. The bands were held off the field by Carter-Finley staff to keep them from causing divots and messing the field up. A gloom fell over all but the most hopeful Eagle fans. Then the sun came back shining as brightly as ever.

Then came one TD. A defensive stop. Another TD. And the Eagles kept on trucking. Soon they'd closed the gap to tie it at 27. The Aggies kicked a field goal and moved ahead 30-27. Eagle fans sat in disbelief as they feared they were seeing another close game get away from them, like it has so many times before (95, 96, 99).

The Eagles QB led them marching down the field to the 40, to the 20, to the 10. The crowd began to get excited as the stadium security positioned themselves to protect the field in case an upset happened. Finally running back Donnie Pippin dove over his own line and a pile of Aggies to get the winning score with little time remaining. The crowd erupted and the band played the loudest I've ever heard (at least it seemed at the time); as the Eagles finally conquered the Aggies after an entire decade of losing.

Fallout: The A & T coach (Bill Hayes, ironically an Eagle alum), lost his job at the end of the season, despite having won a conference championship in 1999. And his recruits went on to win the conference in 2003.

theasushow
July 15th, 2011, 08:11 PM
2005 National Semifinal against arch-rival Furman. They had beaten us earlier in the season, and coming into the playoff game at KBS us ASU fans were a little nervous. ASU came out strong to take an early lead, but when star QB Richie Williams went out with an ankle injury in the first half there was a collective gasp among the Kidd Brewer faithful. However it only took backup Trey Elder one play to find Dexter Jackson in the end zone to put ASU up by 2 touchdowns. The game went back and forth until the 4th quarter when Furman quarterback Ingle Martin slipped on the 2 yard line to negate what would have been a sure Furman touchdown. (and probably victory) The APP's would go on to stuff the Paladins on the goal line and Trey Elder would score on the following drive to put the Apps up 29-23 with time running down. The game was still in question as Furman was driving, but then Jason Hunter sacked Martin causing a fumble that landed right in Omarr Byrom's hands. I'll never forget the atmosphere in KBS as Byrom rumbled down the sideline all but assuring ASU's first ever National Championship appearance. And then ofcourse, chaos ensued, and I drank heavily.

Skjellyfetti
July 15th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Funny how so many are mentioning "chattanooga" but it isnt the mecca right? Well maybe it isnt anymore but it was for a long time.

I'm pretty sure the only people that have mentioned Chattanooga in this thread are Chattanooga fans.

Sader87
July 15th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Holy Cross 55 #1 BC 12 Fenway Park 1942

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 15th, 2011, 09:29 PM
one we lost a 62-56 five OT game to UR in 2007. Joe Flacco sent it into OT on a QB sneak as time ran out.

I agree with this one. If there was a better game in the history of CAA football, I want to know what it was.

HailSzczur
July 15th, 2011, 09:34 PM
The other we won over VU 59-42 in 2000. We were down early & came storming back to finally beat Bugs Bunny, err Brian Westbrook.

I remember that game all to well. As I current student at Nova, I remember that game all too well. It was my first game at Delaware as a kid and I thought we had it. Despite the loss it was still a great memory though, first time at a big time stadium for me.

BlueHenSinfonian
July 15th, 2011, 09:47 PM
I agree with this one. If there was a better game in the history of CAA football, I want to know what it was.

I wasn't at that game, but the best nailbiter I can remember, and my pick for the best FCS game I've ever watched, was UMass at Delaware on 11/15/2003.

UMass was coming into the game undefeated in the FCS, while Delaware had just lost its first game of the season by playing down to Northeastern the week before. It was the final regular season home game for Delaware, and the Atlantic-10 crown was on the line.

It was perfect football weather, cool, crisp, and a sold out crowd at Delaware Stadium. The atmosphere was electric as both teams went tit for tat during regulation. Finally, in triple overtime, Delaware Dscored first and the D held UMass to a 4 and out to secure the victory 51-45, and clench home field throughout the playoffs. I was so hoarse from cheering and screaming during that game that I could barely speak for the next couple of days.

Go...gate
July 15th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Holy Cross 55 #1 BC 12 Fenway Park 1942

Are we talking I-A or I-AA?

HailSzczur
July 15th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Villanova 46 UNH 7 FCS Playoffs Quaterfinals December 5, 2009
Game in the snow, what could be better then that? Game starts with a fumble recovery for a touchdown on the first series. The Nova defense forces 2 fumbles (one for a TD), holds the passing attack of Decker and later Toman to 150 yards with 1 INT, and -66 rushing yards for an average of -2.9 a carry. Offensively we ran all over UNH with 343 yards with touchdowns by Babarro(2), Szczur, Whitney, and Young. Reported attendence was 2,661, probably the lowest ever for a playoff game(dont quote me on that stat though) which I think is a rather generous number myself.
http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=SO&Date=20091206&Category=SPORTS&ArtNo=912060344&Ref=AR&maxH=230&maxW=370&border=0&Q=80

Villanova 14 William 13 and Mary FCS Playoffs Semifinal December 12, 2009
William and Mary goes into the half up 10-0 after Archer hits Dohse for a 98 yard touchdown. He caught it right infront of where I was sitting at about his own 10 yard line by the Nova bench and proceeded to run through our defense which must have been frozen in the single digit windchills? In the third quarter Matt Szczur strikes finally out of the Wildcat formation running for a 62 yard touchdown. The drive was salvaged after instant replay in use for the playoffs overturned a call and ruled a Brandon Harvey sideline catch as in bounds. W & M answered with a field goal drawing it to 13-7. On the next drive, Szczur strikes again, swinging wide left on a fake punt, narrowly converting 4th and 8. This ultimately set up QB Chris Whitney's game winning touchdown run.
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/writer/2009/CAA/2009-12-11VUvsWM5-F600x400.jpg

As I didnt attend the national championship game, these two games were easily the best I have seen.

Go...gate
July 15th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Like many of you, I have seen a lot of live games over seven decades. If we are talking only I-AA, these come to mind, and it was a privilege to see them live:

Colgate 21, Holy Cross 17 (1982)
Holy Cross 43, Lehigh 42 (1991)

JMUNJ08
July 15th, 2011, 11:31 PM
JMU comes back from 21-0 down at the half to stun App State in front of a record JMU crowd. Don't remember the final score. Well, I think it was 35-32 or something but am not positive. The NC was more fulfilling but a less interesting game.

JMU seems to live for the nail biter type games. This was one of my top 3 that I attended.

Another was the 2004 regular season ending win over UD who were the defending national champs at the time. JMU kicked a FG that barely made it over the bar (and most know we don't do XPs let alone FGs) to win it late in the 4th and the crowd stormed the field not knowing we would be doing it in Chatty a few weeks later as well.

The third is the 2008 comeback at UR. We were down 8 with 3 minutes left after a UR TD on their homecoming. JMU marched down the field scored a TD and the 2 point conversion with a minute left. The 'D' stuffed UR and all they had to do is squib the punt and we were going to OT. Instead the punter hits a line drive to Scotty who ran it down the sideline and scored with 1 second left. The visiting crowd their really made for a great celebration away from Bridgeforth.

If I had to pick 1? App St. game due to the INSANE tailgate and stuffed to capacity crowd that got right back into the game thanks to the kickoff return to start the 2nd half.

CC Eagle
July 16th, 2011, 12:33 AM
As much as I loved the win over App last season, my favorite that I ever saw in person was Georgia Southern's win over No. 1 ranked Furman in 2005.

Trailing 24-20 with under two minutes remaining, Jayson Foster pulled a Jayson Foster and turned a broken play into a 30-yard TD run. As seemed to be the trend that day, a penalty was seen somewhere and the officials backed it up outside the GSU 35. An incomplete set up 4th and forever, but Foster found Chris Dickerson for what was one of only 1 or 2 receptions all year. Two plays later, the Eagles took the lead and then after Furman drove inside GSU territory, the Eagles intercepted at the 10 with just a few seconds remaining.

As a student at the time, I went nuts and joined the rushing of the field, but the best story I heard about the game came from a buddy of mine.

He was an RA and was stuck patrolling the dorms that night a good 1/4 of a mile from the stadium. He had a radio clipped to his jeans and told me that when that final INT happened, the roar from the crowd at Paulson was so loud he didn't even hear the radio call 2 feet away from his ears.

I remember thinking that was the loudest I had ever heard the stadium get. Last year's win over ASU may have been louder, but I think the fact that I was a student when the 2005 game happened makes it a little more special.

Screamin_Eagle174
July 16th, 2011, 02:36 AM
I wish I could say our NC game against Delaware, coming back from 19-0 to win 20-19, but I couldn't afford to make the trip. xbawlingx

I would have to say the first game on red turf, vs. UM this last season. Attendance record, first game on red turf ever, arch-rival who's had our number in Cheney for the last two decades, and we spotted them 14 points on almost back to back plays (pick 6, then muffed KOR --> Griz ball, TD on first play reverse). Lots of turnovers, lots of unique scores (long passes, long runs, blocked punts, pick 6's, and fumble recoveries), TJ running wild, Cal-Stanford play, fans rushing the field before it's over, untimed play... beast DT Renard Williams picks up the fumble and runs it 30 yards or so for the clinching TD, and we rush the field again.

Twentysix
July 16th, 2011, 06:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8uQM6rkpH0&feature=related

#4 NDSU vs #14 SHSU

For the sole reason that between 5,000-10,000 people left cause we "had already lost".

It was also the 2nd bison game I had ever seen. First one was the week before against SFA.

Grizzaholic
July 16th, 2011, 09:17 AM

This game...but...well.... What about the SDSU game two weeks prior? Monster comeback...

Monarch History
July 16th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Old Dominion hosted the College of William and Mary last September. The Monarchs lost 21-17 but showed that they could compete with the best of the CAA. It's the best game I've seen in person despite the loss because of the atmosphere. I can't recall attending a football game, college or pro, with that much electricity in the air. I hate using the term "electricity" but I can't think of any other term for it. I expect the ODU/JMU game to have that same feeling in October.

I would have to agree with VBR that in the Monarch's short history the William and Mary game was the best game as far as game day atmosphere I have experienced. I'm anxious to see how well the Monarchs compete in the CAA. It should be fun!

bjtheflamesfan
July 16th, 2011, 09:38 AM
bjtheflamesfan wanted me to post this one but I know I was there too...VMI-Liberty 2003. Liberty was coming off a 24-3 loss to Youngstown State (where the Flames actually were leading 3-0 and driving to make it 10-0 when the game was delayed by lightning...the Guins scored 24 unanswered)...and got down 28-3. Fans started filing out thinking it was over. Eugene Goodman scored four TDs in the second half and Sam Gado caught a two point conversion and Liberty denied VMI twice on the last play of the game to complete the greatest comeback in school history. Students stormed the field for that one. VMI would split their remaining six games in 03 and hasnt come close to a winning season since

TheValleyRaider
July 16th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Colgate 28 - Western Illinois 27, December 6, 2007 (I-AA Quarterfinals)
The swirling snows of Andy Kerr Stadium. Tight game throughout, with WIU taking a 27-21 lead in the 4th on a QB sneak (that I'm still not convinced got in). Colgate goes nowhere on its next drive, but holds the Leathernecks to force a punt. The short kick is returned to the 25 (about 3 minutes left) and the Chris Brown finds a receiver at the 1. 1st and Goal from the 1, they hand off to Jamaal Branch once, twice, finally on 3rd and Goal he punches it in with less than 2 minutes to play. Difficult PAT is put through, Colgate up 28-27. WIU gets the ball back, and on 3rd down from midfield, the pass is picked off, sealing the deal. The Raiders take a knee, the crowd rushedthe field, down came the goalpost as the snow fell all around

I could mention the 1st Round win over UMass (also in the snow) or the semis against FAU (in sunny South Florida) that year, but for a single game, the WIU one takes the cake

JMU2004
July 16th, 2011, 01:40 PM
JMU seems to live for the nail biter type games. This was one of my top 3 that I attended.

Another was the 2004 regular season ending win over UD who were the defending national champs at the time. JMU kicked a FG that barely made it over the bar (and most know we don't do XPs let alone FGs) to win it late in the 4th and the crowd stormed the field not knowing we would be doing it in Chatty a few weeks later as well.

The third is the 2008 comeback at UR. We were down 8 with 3 minutes left after a UR TD on their homecoming. JMU marched down the field scored a TD and the 2 point conversion with a minute left. The 'D' stuffed UR and all they had to do is squib the punt and we were going to OT. Instead the punter hits a line drive to Scotty who ran it down the sideline and scored with 1 second left. The visiting crowd their really made for a great celebration away from Bridgeforth.

If I had to pick 1? App St. game due to the INSANE tailgate and stuffed to capacity crowd that got right back into the game thanks to the kickoff return to start the 2nd half.

umm...you are very confused about the UD game in 2004. We won 20-13 with the final score being a punt return for a TD. We then held UD when they had 1st and goal as time was expiring. Also, we lost to W&M on a last second field goal next week, and then closed the season with a win against Towson.

here is the Thompson punt return.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8fqhHE5zaE

and game highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV-axmW9gQo&feature=related

chattownmocs
July 16th, 2011, 02:14 PM
I'm pretty sure the only people that have mentioned Chattanooga in this thread are Chattanooga fans.

Im pretty sure you are wrong.

CC Eagle
July 16th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Im pretty sure you are wrong.

You're the only person that has mentioned Chatty in this thread and even that post was about a loss. :D

breezy
July 16th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Like many of you, I have seen a lot of live games over seven decades. If we are talking only I-AA, these come to mind, and it was a privilege to see them live:

Colgate 21, Holy Cross 17 (1982)
Holy Cross 43, Lehigh 42 (1991)

HC 43, Lehigh 42 (1991). I was at this game at Goodman stadium. Both teams were undefeated going into the game. The first half was a relatively peaceful 7-7 tie, but after halftime, the teams exploded. As I recall, each team scored TDs on their first two possessions of the second half, bringing the score to 21-21. HC then went ahead 35-21 and was driving again when a fumble gave Lehigh possession. Lehigh scored and then scored again. With the score 35-34, Lehigh decided to go for a 2-point conversion, and scored on a "fublerooski" play to go ahead 36-35. HC then scored a TD and also went for the 2-point conversion, and it was successful on a rollout right, throw across the field to a wide-open receiver on the left side of the end zone. HC 43, Lehigh 36. Lehigh then scored a TD and again went for a 2-point conversion but a pass was batted down in the end zone. HC then faced a critical third down around midfield, and got a first down when the TE made a diving catch. HC then ran out the clock to preserve the 43-42 win. (Incidentally, our good friend Lehigh Football Nation played in that game.)

Second place would be the 1988 HC - Princeton game at Palmer Stadium. Trailing 23-17 in the fourth quarter, HC mounted a drive and scored the go-ahead TD with 1:05 to play. HC 24, Princeton 23. Princeton then took the kickoff and drove down the field to get into field goal position. A FG attempt was successful with :02 to play. Princeton 26, HC 24. Fans began streaming out of the stadium, but Princeton still had to kickoff. A squib kick down the middle of the field was fielded and the returner began running to the left side of the field. As he was being tackled, he lateralled to another RB, who got a huge block that wiped out two Princeton tacklers and ran all the way down the left sideline to score a TD. Final score: HC 30, Princeton 26.

Twentysix
July 16th, 2011, 05:34 PM
If you were to count non FCS games, Below would be my #1. Such a fun game.

Kansas was pretty fun, but this game was righteous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GNk8EDKFCw

blueballs
July 17th, 2011, 07:47 AM
The GSU folks have been fortunate enough to witness many historic moments in the history of this division. My top four that I attended:

a) 1989 title game... 25,000+ pack Paulson for Erk's last game. GSU sends him into retirement a 3 time champion and 15-0-0.
b) 1999 quarterfinal against defending champ UMass... the revenge game. Adrian Peterson rushes for 333 yards and 5 TDs.
c) 1999 title game... "The Run," 59 points and over 600 yards rushing by GSU. An offensive clinic.
d) 2000 title game... "The Son of the Run," two GREAT and gutty teams battle to the final horn in the mud.

Gil Dobie
July 17th, 2011, 09:44 AM
NDSU's win over Minnesota in the Metrodome

McNeese75
July 17th, 2011, 12:14 PM
1997 Semi-final game at Delaware - MSU kicks last second field goal for the win
2008 at South Dakota State - 3OT win
2009 vs ASU in Boone

TheBisonator
July 17th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Against an FCS team: November 21, 2006 against South Dakota State at the Fargodome for the Great West Championship in front of a record Fargodome crowd of 19,053. We won 42-17.

Against an FBS team: October 20, 2007 at Minnesota at the Metrodome. Bison won 27-21 in front of 25,000 Bison fans in the stands.

asu70
July 17th, 2011, 05:26 PM

I was there in the Big House to witness first hand such a great win and upset. It was a great game and my all time favorite App game. I've been watching App FB since 1966 and have seen 80% of our games in person including the three NC games as well as every FBS game except AU and the win over South Carolina.

citdog
July 17th, 2011, 05:51 PM
posted my fbs earlier.

2007 The Citadel 54 furman 51 Ot

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/50355_5898808028_715_n.jpg

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v650/87/118/1124298336/n1124298336_30199994_7886.jpg

Ask Cleets. He was there.

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 17th, 2011, 09:45 PM

I didn't want to bring it up, but that really was a great game. The last 4 times Richmond and JMU played have been nailbiters. Richmond has won three of them, but the 2008 game that we lost was certainly the most memorable.

jmufan999
July 17th, 2011, 10:00 PM
I didn't want to bring it up, but that really was a great game. The last 4 times Richmond and JMU played have been nailbiters. Richmond has won three of them, but the 2008 game that we lost was certainly the most memorable.

this was the most exciting end to a JMU game i've seen in person (best overall was The Hail Mary game @ nova '08). pretty crazy day, but that was an amazing return by Scotty.

JMU/UR games are always fantastic, you're right. can't wait until this year's matchup.

Apps03
July 18th, 2011, 07:20 AM
I was there in the Big House to witness first hand such a great win and upset. It was a great game and my all time favorite App game. I've been watching App FB since 1966 and have seen 80% of our games in person including the three NC games as well as every FBS game except AU and the win over South Carolina.

Yep, realize the OP wanted just FCS vs. FCS but that moment in the Big House when the kick was blocked was by far the greatest moment in my sports history. We partied in Ann Arbor till they kicked us out. We then drove from Ann Arbor straight to Clemson, SC to begin tailgate for the Clemson vs. FSU game (Labor Day night game). I still had on all my App gear. Tigers won that one and it was a great weekend.
To keep on topic. My favorite App FCS game would have to be the Furman miracle on the mountain game. I'll actually miss old Bobby Lamb roaming the purple sidelines.

UNIFanSince1983
July 18th, 2011, 09:42 AM
As was already mentioned the UNI vs UNH playoff game in 2007 was one of the best. It was certainly the loudest I have ever heard the Dome in a long time.

Another great game I was at was in 1992 when UNI played Idaho in the UNI-Dome. It was #1 vs #2 in the nation. UNI ended up winning 27-26.

The best game against FBS was probably also in 1992 when UNI finally broke through again and beat Iowa State for the first time since 1900. That was AWESOME too!

AshevilleApp2
July 18th, 2011, 10:41 AM

Yup.

But to keep on topic, the favorite FCS vs FCS game for me was the 2005 National Championship game against UNI.

TheRevSFA
July 18th, 2011, 10:52 AM
SFA 63- Western Illinois 36. It was 2005..and it was the best because that was the night I met my wife.

Silenoz
July 18th, 2011, 10:57 AM
1a) South Dakota State 2009
1b) App State 2009
3) UMass 2006 (first night game)
4) Delaware 1993

Having trouble remembering most of our games that were more than a decade ago

ur2k
July 18th, 2011, 12:49 PM

That game sucked xthumbsdownx

That was a great game, back and forth the whole time until the end that I'd rather not speak of. That was a stomach punch loss. So was the App State playoff loss in the 3rd playoff match-up with them.

One underrated game that I recall being a great game was UR v UNH in 2007 at UR - finished 45-38 and was just a back and forth shootout between Eric Ward/Tim Hightower and Ricky Santos.

http://www.richmondspiders.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/092907aab.html

Bam
July 18th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Great game for me (that I cam remember xbeerchugx). Nov. 10, 1990 Marshall plays its last game at Fairfield Stadium against EKU. EKU wins 15-12. EKU failthful came in force & I left with a piece of that dump. xwhistlex

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/multimedia/galleries/musports/x654323195/Gallery-Do-you-remember-Marshall-vs-Eastern-Kentucky-Nov-10-1990-Final-game-at-Fairfield-Stadium

wmmii
July 18th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Tribal
"What is the best 1-AA/FCS game you've attended and why?

W&M was the A-10 champion, ranked #6 that year and their only 1-AA loss was to #3 UD in the 7th week. W&M had beaten #10 UNH, #16 NE, lost by 3 to UD, beat #19 Nova, #4 JMU, and #11 Hampton (playoff game). Trailed UD in Williamsburg by 21 points at the end of the 3rd quarter (31-10). On the first play of the 4th, W&M CB had a pick 6 (31-17 with 14:50 remaining). "

I agree this was a great Tribe victory and awsome game. For ATMOSPHERE the game the next week was off the charts when we hosted our first night game ever under the portable lights set up for the National Semi Final game against JMU. The students were lined up hours before the game to get in and Tribe spirit was the best of any game I have been at in 30 years! The game itself was exicitng with JMU going up 21-0 and W&M come back to go up 26-21 before the collapse in the third quarter and final score of 34-48.