PDA

View Full Version : College Football's Five FCS (I-AA) Teams That Should Move Up to FBS (I-A)

aust42
July 15th, 2011, 07:40 AM
From the Bleacher Report:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/213942-the-fcs-i-aa-teams-that-should-move-up-fbs-i-a

chattownmocs
July 15th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Why Mount Union and not Wisconsin-Whitewater? You have got to be kidding me. Those programs arent even close to being ready. I can see why they say the other 4 but really think it is in the best interest of the upper echelon of FCS to create another division. Combining the non-bcs FBS programs, with the upper tier of FCS would make everything more fair. Their would be more money to be made, while preserving the playoff system.

SumItUp
July 15th, 2011, 07:52 AM
This article is from July 2009.

AppAlum2003
July 15th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Bleacher Report? I'll pass.

dgtw
July 15th, 2011, 08:01 AM
App State, Montana, Georgia Southern are fine and could do well if they moved up. Not sure about Delaware, they'd be in the MAC most likely and could be another Marshall. But putting Mount Union on the list is just lazy on the part of the writer and an insult to anyone who follows football who thought they'd be reading something informative. But its typical Bleacher Report. I think he just grabbed a few big names and threw in Mount Union in an attempt to get attention.

TheRevSFA
July 15th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Yawn..besides in the Text he got the name wrong..it's not Texas State...it's Texas State University-San Marcos....

The Eagle's Cliff
July 15th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Old article, but always an interesting discussion. There are a few DII and even DIII teams that might give some D1 teams a run for their money, but part of that is because they get great players who wouldn't be academically eligible in DI.

There are several FCS schools who would be competitive in FBS with 22 more scholarships, but it's all about the money - not football. If it wasn't about money, there would be no I-AA.

aust42
July 15th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Bleacher Report? I'll pass.

Perhaps you have not checked out the "Swaggar" section as I do every day of my life.

http://bleacherreport.com/br-swagger?partner_id=philly

1andDone
July 15th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Its old, and anyway it South Alabama

lucchesicourt
July 15th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Sorry, this thing about D2 and D3 players not being academically elgible is hogwash. I said it 6 years ago and I'll say it again. If the school's academic requirements are higher than most D1 schools, why would you say something stupid about maybe them not being academically elgible. Many D1 players would not have been academically elgible to play for D2 UCD. Maybe, some of these guys played at your school. I am tired of D1 schools thinking their academics are superior to other non D1 schools. It is just not so.

dgtw
July 15th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Perhaps you have not checked out the "Swaggar" section as I do every day of my life.

http://bleacherreport.com/br-swagger?partner_id=philly

Nice, but I guess that explains why the content looks like it was written by drunken frat boys.

The Eagle's Cliff
July 15th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Sorry, this thing about D2 and D3 players not being academically elgible is hogwash. I said it 6 years ago and I'll say it again. If the school's academic requirements are higher than most D1 schools, why would you say something stupid about maybe them not being academically elgible. Many D1 players would not have been academically elgible to play for D2 UCD. Maybe, some of these guys played at your school. I am tired of D1 schools thinking their academics are superior to other non D1 schools. It is just not so.

I'm not speaking about any particular school, but the NCAA requirements for eligibility are less for D2 than D1:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Student-Athlete+Experience/Becoming+a+Student-Athlete/Division+I+Toolkit

To participate in Division I athletics or receive an athletics scholarship during the first year of college, a student-athlete must:

Complete the 16 core-course requirement in eight semesters:
4 years of English
3 years of math (Algebra 1 or higher)
2 years of natural or physical science (including one year of lab science if offered by the high school)
1 extra year of English, math or natural or physical science
2 years of social science
4 years of extra core courses (from any category above, or foreign language, nondoctrinal religion or philosophy)
Earn a minimum required grade-point average in core courses
Earn a combined SAT or ACT sum score that matches the core course grade-point average and test-score sliding scale. (For example, a 3.000 core-course grade-point average needs at least a 620 SAT).

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Student-Athlete+Experience/Becoming+a+Student-Athlete/Division+II+Toolkit

If you enroll in a Division II college between now and July 31, 2013, and want to participate in athletics or receive an athletics scholarship during your first year, you must:

Graduate from high school;
Complete these 14 core courses:
3 years of English
2 years of math (Algebra 1 or higher)
2 years of natural or physical science (including one year of lab science if offered by your high school)
2 additional years of English, math, or natural or physical science
2 years of social science
3 years of extra core courses (from any category above, or foreign language, nondoctrinal religion or philosophy);
Earn a 2.000 grade-point average or better in your core courses; and
Earn a combined SAT score of 820 or an ACT sum score of 68.

lucchesicourt
July 15th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Just because the minimum requirements are lower does not mean the schools standards are the minimum requirements. I know the Cal State system, UC system, and all the private colleges I am familiar with in CA have higher standards than those you listed as the NCAA requirements.

blaw0203
July 16th, 2011, 02:06 AM
FAMU should join the Sunbelt