PDA

View Full Version : What FCS team would you like to see in/out of your schools Conference???

Coastal44
July 11th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Granted it's no secret that we want out of the Big South bad!!! Really bad!!!! I would have to say that I would like to see Furman join our conference just because it gives us a better regional rival.

The team I would like to see go... It's a tie between Gardner-Webb and Charleston Southern. They have crappy facilities, a non-existent fan base, and there doesn't seem to be anything to note of in terms of positive growth for either.

I hate to say this but I hope we stay with Liberty if they or we move to another conference. I hate that school with a passion and I know it's mutual with a lot of their fans. Thats why I want both schools to stay together, because of our rivalry! I love nothing more then to watch them lose to us.

Tuscon
July 11th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I'd say Georgia Southern because win or lose, at least we'd actually have something to hate each other about.

chattownmocs
July 11th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Get Citadel out. Put Charlotte in.

TheBisonator
July 11th, 2011, 10:08 AM
OUT: Indiana State. Sorry Sycs, I know your team is improving and whatnot, but I don't like the idea of a school that averages around 5,000 fans per game (and plays in such a crappy stadium) in the football conference my favorite school plays in.

IN: The best option out there is probably Eastern Illinois, though that isn't saying much (compared to conferences in other regions). That's not to mean that EIU is a bad school or bad program, or anything. EIU would probably be a slight step up from WIU. At least EIU is usually competative and in the hunt for the OVC title.

GlassOnion
July 11th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Lose Elon and Samford, Gain Jacksonville State and JMU.

WestCoastAggie
July 11th, 2011, 10:19 AM
MEAC
Out: Savannah State

In: Winston-Salem State

OVC
Out: Eastern Illinois (I think they would be a better fit in the MVC)

In: Northern Alabama

eiu1999
July 11th, 2011, 10:35 AM
OUT: Indiana State. Sorry Sycs, I know your team is improving and whatnot, but I don't like the idea of a school that averages around 5,000 fans per game (and plays in such a crappy stadium) in the football conference my favorite school plays in.

IN: The best option out there is probably Eastern Illinois, though that isn't saying much (compared to conferences in other regions). That's not to mean that EIU is a bad school or bad program, or anything. EIU would probably be a slight step up from WIU. At least EIU is usually competative and in the hunt for the OVC title.

EIU's attendence isn't much better.

2010 Home attendance:

8007-Family Weekend
6111- Homecoming

BearsCountry
July 11th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Out: Youngstown State - great program just no natural connection to the rest of the MVC schools.
In: Wichita State

carney2
July 11th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Patriot League:

OUT: No one.

IN: Almost anyone.

UNIFanSince1983
July 11th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Out: Youngstown State - great program just no natural connection to the rest of the MVC schools.
In: Wichita State

I would agree with this even though I do love our conference the way it is. But really how much better would it be to be able to beat Wichita State at another sport? But C0|db|00ded would never let this happen...

VBR_Productions
July 11th, 2011, 11:29 AM
The CAA would help out Maine and New Hampshire by adding another northern team or two, since we're losing URI and UMass soon. But Georgia State is also sort on an island so adding Georgia Southern wouldn't hurt, either. I can't think of a team they should kick out.

dgtw
July 11th, 2011, 12:19 PM
OVC:
Out: Anybody that doesn't play scholarship football or a full schedule in football.

In: UNA, Georgia State

HailSzczur
July 11th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Out: Towson

In: I would love to see Lehigh

crusader11
July 11th, 2011, 12:24 PM
For the Patriot League...

Out: If Georgetown does not even pretend to make somewhat of a commitment to football, I have no problem seeing them move onto the PFL or somewhere else.

In: Any of the following: UNH, Maine, URI

Brad82
July 11th, 2011, 12:40 PM
NEC-Maine and UNH in
no one out

phoenixphanatic21
July 11th, 2011, 12:45 PM
SoCon

Out: Samford
In: JMU or Liberty

LUHawker
July 11th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Since this is all hypothetical BS anyway, here is my PL wish list:

Out: G'Town - great school, great location, but bad for PL football
In: W&M and/or Richmond to build out the south; RPI to add more northern exposure. In the past I've also hoped for Villanova, but now think they would not be a great fit for the PL

BearsCountry
July 11th, 2011, 01:16 PM
I would agree with this even though I do love our conference the way it is. But really how much better would it be to be able to beat Wichita State at another sport? But C0|db|00ded would never let this happen...

I agree with this. Youngstown and Western Illinois are the only ones that I don't really care about in the conference, the rest of the MVC schools and the XDSUs I like. On the fence about USD though.

DFW HOYA
July 11th, 2011, 01:16 PM
No one is joining the PL. I think that's clear.

DJKyR0
July 11th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I agree with this. Youngstown and Western Illinois are the only ones that I don't really care about in the conference, the rest of the MVC schools and the XDSUs I like. On the fence about USD though.

The USD add is going to be weird, but I think it'll pan out. They're bringing some good exposure in with the Minnesota win last year and have a program that should be pretty competitive in a few years, despite the fact that Meierkort has the disposition of a five-year-old girl. I like the history YSU has with the MVFC, but kind of removed from the rest of the conference. Wouldn't be surprised to see them in the CAA within five years.

TheBisonator
July 11th, 2011, 01:40 PM
The USD add is going to be weird, but I think it'll pan out. They're bringing some good exposure in with the Minnesota win last year and have a program that should be pretty competitive in a few years, despite the fact that Meierkort has the disposition of a five-year-old girl. I like the history YSU has with the MVFC, but kind of removed from the rest of the conference. Wouldn't be surprised to see them in the CAA within five years.

USD is crippled by 1) Being in a town that only has 10,517 people living in it and 2) Small athletic budget ($7.1 million in 09-10).

Oh, and 3) Smaller alumni base than the other Dakota schools. And 4) The fact that SDSU is Number One in their state.

And 5) Having less than 10,000 students. And 6) Not a very pretty campus compared to other regional schools. And 7) and 8).....

TheBisonator
July 11th, 2011, 01:43 PM
EIU's attendence isn't much better.

2010 Home attendance:

8007-Family Weekend
6111- Homecoming

5,669 average is still marginally better than what ISU Blue usually averages. Plus, isn't their plans/drawings of a new stadium at EIU??

Redbird Ray
July 11th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Pretty sure EIU does have some plans for a new stadium or renovated stadium (can't remember which). If they can get the alumni/local support or student fee increases to fund the atheltics facilities overhaul, then power to them.

As for the MVFC:

OUT: Youngstown State

IN: Any of the following
1) Wichita State (If they ever get football)
2) EIU
3) Grand Valley State
4) Northern Kentucky (If they ever get football)
5) UW - Whitewater (Laugh if you want, they could probably compete in the MVFC in a matter of years)

BearsCountry
July 11th, 2011, 02:03 PM
5,669 average is still marginally better than what ISU Blue usually averages. Plus, isn't their plans/drawings of a new stadium at EIU??

Indiana State has plans for a new on campus stadium as well.

ekufbfan
July 11th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Out: SIU-Evansville (No football) don't see what they add

Better still: EKU...wish we would get out!xnodx

Wildcat80
July 11th, 2011, 02:06 PM
CAA-North

In: Albany, Stony Brook, Lehigh, Lafayette, &/or Colgate

Out: None

OL FU
July 11th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Get Citadel out. Put Charlotte in.

xeyebrowx So you want to kick out a school that has been in the conference for 75 years and add one whose stated goal is to be in the conference for 5 yearsxeyebrowxxrotatehx

eiu1999
July 11th, 2011, 02:29 PM

There is a strategic plan that was unveiled last fall, but the $$ for it will be hard to come by anytime soon. The new stadium would seat 15K.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV7yPd4c_HM&feature=player_embedded#at=70

I-16Bandit
July 11th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I'd say Georgia Southern because win or lose, at least we'd actually have something to hate each other about.

Funny.

MoreheadEagle
July 11th, 2011, 03:47 PM
PFL:
In - Xavier or Detroit Mercy (not likely for either)
Out - Morehead State

OVC:
In - Morehead State
Out - No one

TribeAdvocate
July 11th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Out: Towson

In: Charlotte

or...

W&M to the Ivy, lol.

WMTribe90
July 11th, 2011, 04:30 PM
CAA

Out: Nobody
In: Charlotte and Stony Brook

North:

UNH
Maine
SB (FB Only)
UD
VU
Towson

South:

WM
ODU
JMU
UR
GSU
Charlotte (All Sports)

NuJerzBullDog
July 11th, 2011, 05:02 PM
i would love for scsu to be in the socon just makes more sense to me...i say the socon does way with citadel and adds scsu....

citdog
July 11th, 2011, 05:04 PM
i would love for scsu to be in the socon just makes more sense to me...i say the socon does way with citadel and adds scsu....

I'm an outright ***.

NuJerzBullDog
July 11th, 2011, 05:11 PM
did we have to use the racial analogies.. its not like it was really gonna happen

citdog
July 11th, 2011, 05:18 PM
yes.....this is after all SOUTH CAROLINA......not new jersey. I'd like to ask you to abide the naacp boycott and STAY UP THERE......or I can put you to work

NuJerzBullDog
July 11th, 2011, 05:22 PM
xsmhx...who knew a simple thread would draw such ignorance

WMTribe90
July 11th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I'm an outright ***.

I get that you like to stir the pot by posting "in character", but there's really zero humor in ignorant crap like this.

OL FU
July 11th, 2011, 05:26 PM
did we have to use the racial analogies.. its not like it was really gonna happen

Don't listen to citdog, he talks big cuz he got his nutz shot off in the late unpleasantness. :D

I think most Socon fans would love to see the Bulldogs in the SoCon. xthumbsupx Count me in

citdog
July 11th, 2011, 05:26 PM

and I'd like to know where 50 MILLION DOLLARS of taxpayer money disappeared from at your corrupt RACIST "university".

citdog
July 11th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Don't listen to citdog, he talks big cuz he got his nutz shot off in the late unpleasantness. :D

I think most Socon fans would love to see the Bulldogs in the SoCon. xthumbsupx Count me in

http://www.perthfr.com/scalawag.jpg

NuJerzBullDog
July 11th, 2011, 05:29 PM

lol

OL FU
July 11th, 2011, 05:34 PM
http://www.perthfr.com/scalawag.jpg

http://www.nmha.org/images/bell.jpghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mABQ9X3TqoA/Sn9oJyHXE5I/AAAAAAAABBc/iBN4U8pOgkE/s400/kangaroo+hopping.jpg

didn't think I could find it again didja:D

citdog
July 11th, 2011, 05:36 PM
http://www.nmha.org/images/bell.jpghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mABQ9X3TqoA/Sn9oJyHXE5I/AAAAAAAABBc/iBN4U8pOgkE/s400/kangaroo+hopping.jpg

didn't think I could find it again didja:D

xawesomex xlolx

The Eagle's Cliff
July 11th, 2011, 06:08 PM
SoCon: In- Coastal Carolina

Out - Maybe Samford, but not really.

Nothing against Samford really except wanting 3 OOC Football games, but Coastal would make the SoCon a Major Baseball Conference.

Wouldn't mind adding Jax St and Ga St, but a North/South split would take away old rivalries with Furman and App as well as the newer Wofford and Elon games.

OL FU
July 11th, 2011, 06:10 PM
SoCon: In- Coastal Carolina

Out - Maybe Samford, but not really.

Nothing against Samford really except wanting 3 OOC Football games, but Coastal would make the SoCon a Major Baseball Conference.

Wouldn't mind adding Jax St and Ga St, but a North/South split would take away old rivalries with Furman and App as well as the newer Wofford and Elon games.

the way it has gone lately I might not mind missing App every other year:o

Seawolf97
July 11th, 2011, 09:16 PM
CAA-North

In: Albany, Stony Brook, Lehigh, Lafayette, &/or Colgate

That would work well. Hope to see it someday !

NoCoDanny
July 11th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Wow, what does it take to get banned here?

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 11th, 2011, 09:43 PM
It would be nice to have 12 teams in the MV with 2 - 6 team leagues. More playoffs teams..potentially

Even though I hate UND, they would have been a good fit in the MV.

Wichita State would also be a very good addition. EIU...went to grad school there...good addition.

I believe YSU will eventually leave the MV.

MV - West

UND
NDSU
SDSU
USD
UNI
Wichita State

MV - East

MSU
Ill State
WIU
SIU
Ind State
EIU

Yote 53
July 11th, 2011, 09:49 PM
USD is crippled by 1) Being in a town that only has 10,517 people living in it and 2) Small athletic budget ($7.1 million in 09-10).

Oh, and 3) Smaller alumni base than the other Dakota schools. And 4) The fact that SDSU is Number One in their state.

And 5) Having less than 10,000 students. And 6) Not a very pretty campus compared to other regional schools. And 7) and 8).....

Just because South Dakota is the Crown Jewel of the 4 Dakota schools doesn't mean you have to get all jealous.

1. True. But small university towns also have positive unique qualities you don't find with schools in more urban locations. Heck, Brookings isn't that much bigger.
2. Smaller, but growing athletic budget. That number climbs every year through transition.
3. False statement. South Dakota is the oldest of the Dakota schools with an endowment second only to North Dakota.
4. False. You listen to too many Jackrabbit fans.
5. True. Enrollment for undergrad is under 10,000.
6. False. You haven't been here in a while, have you?

One thing we do have over NDSU is a 10,000 seat (soon to be converted to 16,000 seat) on-campus domed stadium which will have a shiny new basketball arena sitting next door with some fancy new athletic offices and training facilities. But hey, you guys have a real nice shed you rent there. How much is the lot rent anyway?

citdog
July 11th, 2011, 10:23 PM
CHINA

THAT oughta do it!

Western_101
July 12th, 2011, 01:54 AM

EIU vs. WIU all time...EIU is 21-40 all time against WIU, the last two times EIU has played WIU ('02 '97) EIU has been outscored 89-9. EIU has not been interested in continuing a Football rivalry with Western. EIU does get into the playoffs, but they play in the weak OVC. EIU is 3-13 (.188) all time in playoff games and has not won a postseason game in 21 years. WIU is 6-9(.400) all time for playoffs.

Facts do not support an argument that EIU is marginally better than WIU. If however for some reason you just like EIU better, well, that's your opinion, you are certainly entitled to it.

Twentysix
July 12th, 2011, 02:22 AM

or the mac? Dont they have like a 22,000 seat stadium. Screams mac to me.

Twentysix
July 12th, 2011, 02:24 AM
Pretty sure EIU does have some plans for a new stadium or renovated stadium (can't remember which). If they can get the alumni/local support or student fee increases to fund the atheltics facilities overhaul, then power to them.

As for the MVFC:

OUT: Youngstown State

IN: Any of the following
1) Wichita State (If they ever get football)
2) EIU
3) Grand Valley State
4) Northern Kentucky (If they ever get football)
5) UW - Whitewater (Laugh if you want, they could probably compete in the MVFC in a matter of years)

A Minnesota or Wisconsin school would be great to the MVFC imo unfortunately their are none lined up. WSU would excite me.

GoAgs72
July 12th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I'm an outright ***.

This should not be on a football discussion board. I thinkk KKK activities should be posted elsewhere.

NuJerzBullDog
July 12th, 2011, 10:46 AM
This should not be on a football discussion board. I thinkk KKK activities should be posted elsewhere.

i agree

gophoenix
July 12th, 2011, 11:19 AM
SoCon....

In: Liberty, SC State and Coastal Carolina - Good teams, good following, good money, helps in multiple sports
Out: App - Other than exposure, their fan base does more harm than good to the conference anymore

bjtheflamesfan
July 12th, 2011, 11:21 AM

YOu do have a report button at your disposal NuJerz...my hands are tied if something possibly objectionable isnt reported

Horseshoe App
July 12th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Talk about being jealous. You paint a broad brush for a few idiotic fans. Most of us are good fans. Every school has bad fans, Elon included. I can guarantee your AD doesn't want us to leave. Besides, if we did leave, you wouldn't have anyone to hate:)
In: Liberty, SC State and Coastal Carolina - Good teams, good following, good money, helps in multiple sports
Out: App - Other than exposure, their fan base does more harm than good to the conference anymore[/QUOTE]

NuJerzBullDog
July 12th, 2011, 11:49 AM
YOu do have a report button at your disposal NuJerz...my hands are tied if something possibly objectionable isnt reported

thanks i appreciate it

Side Judge
July 12th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Quick note about moderation - I'll leave up citdog's comment just so everyone knows what the hubbub's about, but beyond that we'll keep an eye on that and edit/delete as necessary, with a PM to the offending party (aside to citdog - c'mon man - please refrain from the racist terms - and "boy" is almost at the level as the N word - don't make us have to go all Sherman on you). Of course, the boss (Ursus) might deal with it differently.

As a general rule we don't ban around here anymore unless you're spamming - bannings were getting out of hand previously and were counterproductive to having a lively AGS. We're pretty straight-laced when it comes to what's tolerated on the discussion board, so please report anything that you find offensive. We're quite a bit more lenient on the lounge boards...

gophoenix
July 12th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Talk about being jealous. You paint a broad brush for a few idiotic fans. Most of us are good fans. Every school has bad fans, Elon included. I can guarantee your AD doesn't want us to leave. Besides, if we did leave, you wouldn't have anyone to hate:)
Out: App - Other than exposure, their fan base does more harm than good to the conference anymore[/QUOTE]

Maybe, Maybe not over the AD. Can't say for certain as I am not him. But the point is taken. And this wasn't intended as smack. Every fan base has idiotic fans, however, App's percentage increased after 3 NCs.

phoenixphanatic21
July 12th, 2011, 12:03 PM

Unfortunately, I think at this point it's more than a few and they really seem overshadow the good App fans, at least at times.

And don't worry. We'll keep hating you even if/when you move up. xlolx

3rd Coast Tiger
July 12th, 2011, 12:09 PM
wow

StorminASU
July 12th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Maybe, Maybe not over the AD. Can't say for certain as I am not him. But the point is taken. And this wasn't intended as smack. Every fan base has idiotic fans, however, App's percentage increased after 3 NCs.

Any teams would. Yours would increase too. Lucky for you you'll never know that pain.....xsmiley_wix

asumike83
July 12th, 2011, 01:10 PM
In: SC State (if they would ever consider leaving the MEAC) - great fans and a solid football program
Out: Samford. Not that I have any problem with them, but they are the farthest away from the NC/SC SoCon teams and haven't been around long enough to have many established rivals

Western_101
July 12th, 2011, 01:35 PM
or the mac? Dont they have like a 22,000 seat stadium. Screams mac to me.

Yeah, I had thought the same as you for quite awhile, untill I learned that YSU academically does not mesh with a lot of the other MAC schools (or MVFC schools for that matter) Sorry not trying to be harsh, but it ain't exactly Harvard over there.

Also, I don't think that Akron or Kent are too keen on having YSU come on board. My God, out of all of the programs in the MAC how many are in Ohio? I count six. I am not sure the MAC is interrested in adding a seventh Ohio school, especially one that is lacking academically, and whos metro area has lost half it's population and a program that is a shadow of what it was 15 years ago.

Yes, YSU has a MACish Stadium, but, there are enough other things that don't add up. I see YSU in the CAA sooner or later. I actually think YSU fans would for the most part be happy aobut that. Some might even consider a move from the MVFC to the CAA and upgrade.

gophoenix
July 12th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Any teams would. Yours would increase too. Lucky for you you'll never know that pain.....xsmiley_wix

Elon won 2 national championships decades before App did. So, to say, we'll never know that pain is quite a bit misleading. And to say those championships mean less would also prove the point of the the ACC fans say about your championships.

And no, not any team's would. Other teams that have won championships do not have fans as vocal against conference members, demonizing conference members, degrading conference members, degrading the conference, degrading opposing fans during games, and such as much as App fans of today. This wasn't the case earlier in the decade, but things have changed up there. In many ways it is for the good, but the bad and the vocalization on every forum is a detriment to the conference and exactly why I posted it as the reason I did.

SU DOG
July 12th, 2011, 01:58 PM
In: SC State (if they would ever consider leaving the MEAC) - great fans and a solid football program
Out: Samford. Not that I have any problem with them, but they are the farthest away from the NC/SC SoCon teams and haven't been around long enough to have many established rivals

Hmmm...Isn't it kind of a contradiction that you want us OUT because we haven't been IN long enough?

Apphole
July 12th, 2011, 02:13 PM
SoCon
In: who cares
Out: App State

asumike83
July 12th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Hmmm...Isn't it kind of a contradiction that you want us OUT because we haven't been IN long enough?

I don't really WANT you guys out but if we have to shed a team to take one on (which I thought was the idea of this little hypothetical), then I'd pick the one that isn't a long-standing rival and is also the least geographically convenient. Like I said, I have no problem at all with Samford but it is a HIKE to get there for a football game.

SU DOG
July 12th, 2011, 02:32 PM
OUT - App State because they want out so badly, and because it is such an UPHILL hike to get there for a football game.
IN - Any team that is also located on the western side of the geographical outlay, such as maybe a new FCS team somewhere in the state of Georgia for example.

Sader87
July 12th, 2011, 02:43 PM
No it's not.

SideLine Shooter
July 12th, 2011, 02:48 PM
OUT - Samford. They should be in DII. Also, who in their right mind wants to go to Birmingham. What a hell hole. That makes Statesboro look like a nice place.

IN - Coastal Carolina. I can always use that as an excuse to get to the coast and play some golf. They should have been in the SoCon anyway.

StorminASU
July 12th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Elon won 2 national championships decades before App did. So, to say, we'll never know that pain is quite a bit misleading. And to say those championships mean less would also prove the point of the the ACC fans say about your championships.

And no, not any team's would. Other teams that have won championships do not have fans as vocal against conference members, demonizing conference members, degrading conference members, degrading the conference, degrading opposing fans during games, and such as much as App fans of today. This wasn't the case earlier in the decade, but things have changed up there. In many ways it is for the good, but the bad and the vocalization on every forum is a detriment to the conference and exactly why I posted it as the reason I did.

Lets compare apples to apples here. I realize you won two championships, I was joking about never doing that at the FCS level, though since it seemed to have struck a nerve, I'll play the part of a troll and continue. What we both won were national championships, however how can you say a D2 championship means as much as a D1? It's not proving anything about an ACC conference championship to realize that a championship won at a higher level of football means more. That's just logic. As for your second argument about other teams winning and not becoming as vocal, has any team won three in a row before with a win at the big house in the third year? No they haven't. Seems like three good years to load up with bandwagoners and get a reputation if you ask me. I wouldn't even go so far as saying no one has won and then started bad mouthing the conference, etc. Someone we all know and love did that....little old Georgia Southern. If I had a dime for every time I read/heard a GSU alum say they wish they were outta here, they deserve better, they've won championships and don't belong here...I'd need help rolling my wheelbarrow to the bank. So don't get me started about how championships don't change fan bases, thats ludricous. I would hate to see the inflated, egotistical mess that becomes the Phoenix fanbase after a championship appearance if what goes around, really comes around

Apphole
July 12th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Citdog, are you that big of an ignorant racist or just an attention whore? I'd say both. God I wish NC didn't share half a name with the second dumbest state in the union.

citdog
July 12th, 2011, 02:53 PM
No it's not.

YES it is. Humor, like obscenity, is in the eye of the beholder.

citdog
July 12th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Citdog, are you that big of an ignorant racist or just an attention whore? I'd say both. God I wish NC didn't share half a name with the second dumbest state in the union.

I'm an ignorant whore actually. Yahweh I wish you didn't either. I wish Carolina still stretched from the Atlantic to the Pacific.

RabidRabbit
July 12th, 2011, 02:57 PM
xflaggedx C'mon guys.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/announcement.php?f=2

The TOS AGAIN!!!!

Please note the personal attacks and flame baiting sections.

A good many posts here may find themselves on the Smack section.

Let's drop the xflamemadxxslapfightxxanim_chaix and respect xcoolx each other.

Grizzaholic
July 12th, 2011, 03:07 PM
uh-oh

andy7171
July 12th, 2011, 03:29 PM
In - Hofstra
out - No one

Mntneer
July 12th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Assuming App is still in the SoCon:

Out: Samford. Geographically they're an outlier, and they're not competitive enough to outweigh that inconvenience. Maybe even El-Cid. Also uncompetitive, it seems like nostalgia and history are the only reasons to keep them around.

In: JMU would be good. Maybe even Charlotte if it was for all sports. CCU a distant third.

gophoenix
July 12th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Lets compare apples to apples here. I realize you won two championships, I was joking about never doing that at the FCS level, though since it seemed to have struck a nerve, I'll play the part of a troll and continue. What we both won were national championships, however how can you say a D2 championship means as much as a D1? It's not proving anything about an ACC conference championship to realize that a championship won at a higher level of football means more. That's just logic. As for your second argument about other teams winning and not becoming as vocal, has any team won three in a row before with a win at the big house in the third year? No they haven't. Seems like three good years to load up with bandwagoners and get a reputation if you ask me. I wouldn't even go so far as saying no one has won and then started bad mouthing the conference, etc. Someone we all know and love did that....little old Georgia Southern. If I had a dime for every time I read/heard a GSU alum say they wish they were outta here, they deserve better, they've won championships and don't belong here...I'd need help rolling my wheelbarrow to the bank. So don't get me started about how championships don't change fan bases, thats ludricous. I would hate to see the inflated, egotistical mess that becomes the Phoenix fanbase after a championship appearance if what goes around, really comes around

A championship means just that, a championship. App won an FCS championship in a Division with schools providing a same characteristic of scholarships and funding, just like any D-II, D-III or NAIA championship. Any championship outside of the top level is just that, a championship outside of the top division. ACC schools smack App's championships around as being lesser just as your are knocking around the championships of teams in the other divisions. It demeans that the App championships to do that and proves the ACC fans right that you are making the case. No championship is ever apples to apples, not even year to year because of the roving rosters that are forced on teams due to graduation. So yes, a D2 championships means just as much as an FCS championship and just as much as a D-III or NAIA. All the schools on each division have a maximum criteria, so all championships are on equal footing because of that criteria and any championship means just as much to fans; because it is just that, a championship.

So, in essence, you provided the logic behind the arrogance. You won three straight. Good for you guys! you won at Michigan, great for you guys! I admire it, but personally, it doesn't matter to me. And you have a fan base that is getting larger and larger that does not know how to lose, let alone win with grace. Call it what you will, but the comments made by said fan base is damaging to the division, conference and conference schools. Excuse it however you want to, but you have backed up my reasoning with your post.

Apphole
July 12th, 2011, 04:23 PM
A championship means just that, a championship. App won an FCS championship in a Division with schools providing a same characteristic of scholarships and funding, just like any D-II, D-III or NAIA championship. Any championship outside of the top level is just that, a championship outside of the top division. ACC schools smack App's championships around as being lesser just as your are knocking around the championships of teams in the other divisions. It demeans that the App championships to do that and proves the ACC fans right that you are making the case. No championship is ever apples to apples, not even year to year because of the roving rosters that are forced on teams due to graduation. So yes, a D2 championships means just as much as an FCS championship and just as much as a D-III or NAIA. All the schools on each division have a maximum criteria, so all championships are on equal footing because of that criteria and any championship means just as much to fans; because it is just that, a championship.

So, in essence, you provided the logic behind the arrogance. You won three straight. Good for you guys! you won at Michigan, great for you guys! I admire it, but personally, it doesn't matter to me. And you have a fan base that is getting larger and larger that does not know how to lose, let alone win with grace. Call it what you will, but the comments made by said fan base is damaging to the division, conference and conference schools. Excuse it however you want to, but you have backed up my reasoning with your post.

I'm curious. When you say we have a fan base that doesn't know how to lose, is it just because we very rarely lose? Or is there a specific loss where we all acted negatively? If you're answer is the later, I'm curious to know what other school you're so familiar with since Elon hasn't beaten App ever.

TheBisonator
July 12th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Just because South Dakota is the Crown Jewel of the 4 Dakota schools doesn't mean you have to get all jealous.

1. True. But small university towns also have positive unique qualities you don't find with schools in more urban locations. Heck, Brookings isn't that much bigger.
2. Smaller, but growing athletic budget. That number climbs every year through transition.
3. False statement. South Dakota is the oldest of the Dakota schools with an endowment second only to North Dakota.
4. False. You listen to too many Jackrabbit fans.
5. True. Enrollment for undergrad is under 10,000.
6. False. You haven't been here in a while, have you?

One thing we do have over NDSU is a 10,000 seat (soon to be converted to 16,000 seat) on-campus domed stadium which will have a shiny new basketball arena sitting next door with some fancy new athletic offices and training facilities. But hey, you guys have a real nice shed you rent there. How much is the lot rent anyway?

1) You have the smallest average football and basketball attendances of the four Dakota schools.
2) You are located in the smallest town by far.
3) Make excuses about your athletic budget all you want, you need to increase it by a few million just to get to WIU's level.
4) We are currently fundraising for a 33 million dollar renovation to the Bison Sports Arena PLUS a new indoor track/practice facility costing 6 million. Our state board approved construction a long time ago, and as of right now, we're much further along with our arena project than you are with yours. We are (supposedly) very close to groundbreaking right now, and we have the final architectural plans done.
5) SDSU is number 1 in SD. Just look at the Argus coverage and average attendances.
6) Your dome does not hold a candle to the Fargodome. It's a BSA that you can play football inside. And yes, I've been there.
7) Your campus is the crummiest looking of the four Dakota schools. And yes, I have been to all campuses at least twice. UND's is the best, followed by NDSU's, with SDSU in a very close third (it's like NDSU with a big quad, but not adjacent to retail), with USD bringing up the rear.

Western_101
July 12th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Damn, what's with the taking down a notch of USD? I thought there was some common bond of the Dakota schools? Maybe, I am learning, there is a perceived pecking order?

Only thing I can tell is that with all yall being in the NCC before and NDSU and SDSU making the bold move to go up....it must have seemed like a couple of the Dakota Schools asserted themselves to be better than the other two. However, with the other two wanting a place at the table now, maybe that puts the XDSU's reign of D-I power on a non exclusive basis and they are finding themselves once again on an equal terms position with two programs that initially balked at the idea of going D-I.

Coastal44
July 12th, 2011, 06:26 PM

Out: Samford. Geographically they're an outlier, and they're not competitive enough to outweigh that inconvenience. Maybe even El-Cid. Also uncompetitive, it seems like nostalgia and history are the only reasons to keep them around.

In: JMU would be good. Maybe even Charlotte if it was for all sports. CCU a distant third.

And why is that???

citdog
July 12th, 2011, 06:46 PM

"uncompetitive"? didn't we whip your *** for 59:58 the last time we played in Charleston and fall in overtime?

Horseshoe App
July 12th, 2011, 07:55 PM
"uncompetitive"? didn't we whip your *** for 59:58 the last time we played in Charleston and fall in overtime?

I was there and no, you did not whip our *** for 59:58. You beat us in the first half and your team played it's best game of the season, but in the end, the most talented team won. Moral victories do not count.

citdog
July 12th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I was there and no, you did not whip our *** for 59:58. You beat us in the first half and your team played it's best game of the season, but in the end, the most talented team won. Moral victories do not count.

so you would classify that as competitive. thanks

darell1976
July 12th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I would have liked to had USD join us in the Big Sky. Maybe someday the Dakota 4 will be in the same conference, but that only happens in video games.

wmmii
July 12th, 2011, 09:44 PM
CAA

We should lose Georgia State-not sure why we let them in as they are too far away plus Towson that just struggles

We would take unwanted Youngstown State from MVC as they have great tradition and the cream usually come back to the top plus Liberty is a great fit in location and up and coming.

SoCon quit trying to steal JMU, too many GREAT rivalry games set up in CAA

Sorry to our Northern CAA teams, i admit a Southern bias here

Ivytalk
July 12th, 2011, 09:44 PM
In: Colgate.

Out: Cornell.

gsu1moretime
July 12th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Socon North

Western Carolina
App
Elon
Chatt
Wofford
Charolate

Socon south

Ga Southern
Samford
Ga State
Mercer
Citadel
sc state or charleston southern

add charolate ga state. mercer to keep the love with private schools and the socon. maybe sc state over cit. Who knows..

gsu1moretime
July 12th, 2011, 10:02 PM
oh yea furman in there too over char ^

HailSzczur
July 12th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Sorry to our Northern CAA teams, i admit a Southern bias here

Well personally, as far as CAA north goes I would only really want to see maybe an Ivy or a Patriot league team to join. There is just overall a better selection to pull from in the south. Virginia to Georgia is home to some really great teams that would make for some great matchups.

Twentysix
July 12th, 2011, 10:04 PM

Hey if elon's 2 count our 8 count :P

Twentysix
July 12th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Damn, what's with the taking down a notch of USD? I thought there was some common bond of the Dakota schools? Maybe, I am learning, there is a perceived pecking order?

Only thing I can tell is that with all yall being in the NCC before and NDSU and SDSU making the bold move to go up....it must have seemed like a couple of the Dakota Schools asserted themselves to be better than the other two. However, with the other two wanting a place at the table now, maybe that puts the XDSU's reign of D-I power on a non exclusive basis and they are finding themselves once again on an equal terms position with two programs that initially balked at the idea of going D-I.

Pretty sure NDSU and USD* were for the intial idea of moving to DI but that was decades ago.

Yote 53
July 13th, 2011, 12:16 AM

It's broken down as the U's vs the SU's it seems. NDSU and SDSU go on this power trip about how they moved up first but in the end it was the U's that held all the cards. USD had their pick of conferences Big Sky or MVFC while UND got the Big Sky invite that the SU's so coveted when they moved up. A lot of animosity gets built up when you play each other for 100 years, it's just getting carried on to the FCS now.

As for Bisonator's assessment of USD, he's so far off it's not close. I could give a similar assessment of NDSU. Last time I was there it was just some school in a big town surrounded by a frozen wasteland. Nothing special to talk about. I've spent a lot of time on UND's campus, lived there a week during hockey camp and got to know the place pretty well. Far as I'm concerned USD has the nicer campus but they could go 1, 1A. SDSU is decent but I'd give them a 3rd in the rankings.

Get used to the Dakota War. It can turn into a 4 way beatdown.

As for the thread title, I'd like to see UND into the MVFC and Wichita St start up again to make it a 12 team east/west division conference. Heck, maybe Drake goes to full scholarship and comes in instead.

Horseshoe App
July 13th, 2011, 06:13 AM
so you would classify that as competitive. thanks

No, I did not say it was not competitive. I just said you did not whip our *** for 59:58. Thats all.

dgtw
July 13th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Samford won the 2009-2010 all Sports trophy for women in the SoCon. I'd say that's pretty competitive.

SideLine Shooter
July 13th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Samford won the 2009-2010 all Sports trophy for women in the SoCon. I'd say that's pretty competitive.

maybe you should get them on the football team.

StorminASU
July 13th, 2011, 07:57 AM

I can see your point about the championships, however, I'm coming at it from the arena of public opinion so you'll have to excuse me for continuing to disagree with you about the importance of a D2 championship. I don't hear that many ACC fans commenting about our championships, if I did I would just question their recent championship appearances and they would prob. be quiet very fast.

Secondly, I really don't see how I provided logic about arrogance to any statement. I can understand how someone who pulls for a team who has yet to win a "big" game can't grasp the fact our fanbase has a lot of bandwagoners now (and the problems that come along with them). I too, like Apphole, would like to know how you have experience with us losing? All I've ever heard after a lose is how we can improve and guys venting steam. Every fanbase does that. Did no Elon fan complain about anything after the de facto Socon championship game in 2009? While we're at it, how do we not win with grace? I think this is a biased opinion because the only time I have seen every App comment I read rubbing in a win was after that game in 2009...and I think we all remember how Elon fans were so sure their time had come and they were going to kill App. That's just poetic justice to rub in a win after that. I would expect the same from any passionate fanbase. I believe there in lies the problem, you're mistaking passion for arrogance. ASU's fanbase has grown passionately involved in it's success and wishes to see the best for its program. So when we complain (we're def. not the only school complaining either, but I digress) because the Socon talking heads decided to put us on after Burt and Ernie, you call it arrogance, but really we're just wondering if there's not a better alternative. What are people in Tenn, Alabama, etc suppose to do to get their Socon football fix on TV? Call it what you will, but I'm extremely proud of my Mountaineers and I'm not going to hide it!

RabidRabbit
July 13th, 2011, 08:08 AM
I'd like to see the 4 Dakota schools in the same conference again. If anyone should depart the MVFC, it the eastern most school. YSU is a good program, but they are the only non-Summit/non-MVC team in the conference.

RichH2
July 13th, 2011, 09:33 AM
PL choices on either side are few. Love GU for prestige and academics also brings some nationwide currency BUT for football it is very painful and a bit sad to see them try so hard each season with such limited resources.

I would love to see W&M , Richmond and a northern school for Gate and HC. Not too much to choose from up north tho.

UNIFanSince1983
July 13th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Well this is all hypothetical and I do like our conference as currently constituted, but this is my revised thoughts.

Out:
SDSU
NDSU
USD
WIU
YSU

In:
Bradley
Drake
Creighton
Wichita
Evansville

Obviously some of those schools will never add football, but I would like to see a true Missouri Valley Football Conference. :p This would be kind of strange though as I am so used to playing WIU and YSU in football. I think I could get over it if we had the chance to beat Creighton and Wichita every year!

eagle1
July 13th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Big Sky Conference

In:
Idaho
Utah State

Out:
North Dakota

gophoenix
July 13th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I can see your point about the championships, however, I'm coming at it from the arena of public opinion so you'll have to excuse me for continuing to disagree with you about the importance of a D2 championship. I don't hear that many ACC fans commenting about our championships, if I did I would just question their recent championship appearances and they would prob. be quiet very fast.

The apparently you do need read enough of App fan complaints of UNC, State, Wake, ECU and Duke fans calling the championship nothing more than a minor league victory. By your very statements on D-II, D-III and NAIA, you are making the App championship less because it wasn't in FBS. Because, after all, by that mentality, if it isn't on the top, then it all is just second rate.

Secondly, I really don't see how I provided logic about arrogance to any statement. I can understand how someone who pulls for a team who has yet to win a "big" game can't grasp the fact our fanbase has a lot of bandwagoners now (and the problems that come along with them). I too, like Apphole, would like to know how you have experience with us losing? All I've ever heard after a lose is how we can improve and guys venting steam. Every fanbase does that. Did no Elon fan complain about anything after the de facto Socon championship game in 2009? While we're at it, how do we not win with grace? I think this is a biased opinion because the only time I have seen every App comment I read rubbing in a win was after that game in 2009...and I think we all remember how Elon fans were so sure their time had come and they were going to kill App. That's just poetic justice to rub in a win after that. I would expect the same from any passionate fanbase. I believe there in lies the problem, you're mistaking passion for arrogance. ASU's fanbase has grown passionately involved in it's success and wishes to see the best for its program. So when we complain (we're def. not the only school complaining either, but I digress) because the Socon talking heads decided to put us on after Burt and Ernie, you call it arrogance, but really we're just wondering if there's not a better alternative. What are people in Tenn, Alabama, etc suppose to do to get their Socon football fix on TV? Call it what you will, but I'm extremely proud of my Mountaineers and I'm not going to hide it!

I'll address point 1. Go read history of the message board. Read the comments made after App loses. Go and read the Charlotte Observer, Southern Pigskin, News & Record comments on articles after app wins or losses. And then go an read posts made by App fans on other boards after wins and loses. And especially, go read posts of people after wins and losses on your own 2 messages boards. There are some who win with grace. There are many more that do not.

Didn't say you made excuses. I said you gave all the reasons for why I posted App as out. And basically, you've backed up the claim with your posts.

I honestly don't care about the TV deal. I can now get the games over the air. I don't have to go to a bar to watch because the local cable service doesn't have sports south. And, it is PBS in mutli-state areas, not just in NC. Using PBS gives a much wider audience potential that FSS ever did. So complain about Bert and Ernie all you want. I can watch the games now at home.

Twentysix
July 13th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Big Sky Conference

In:
Idaho
Utah State

Out:
North Dakota

They aren't even in yet. Where is the love.

Also games on PBS would be awesome. Cause if you have a TV you have PBS, Unless your canadian then you must have cable :(.

StorminASU
July 13th, 2011, 10:50 AM
The apparently you do need read enough of App fan complaints of UNC, State, Wake, ECU and Duke fans calling the championship nothing more than a minor league victory. By your very statements on D-II, D-III and NAIA, you are making the App championship less because it wasn't in FBS. Because, after all, by that mentality, if it isn't on the top, then it all is just second rate.

I did not put down the FCS championship in my post, however I'm not under some delusional idea that the FCS championship is number one in the heart of America. You don't have to look any further than the fact that it's played in a soccer stadium in Frisco, TX to know that. I get what you're saying, it's the best thing at our level ok? I agreed to disagree with you, let's stop beating it to death. I'm not concerned with what a bunch of WalMart ACC fans have to say about our championship accomplishments, you shouldn't be either with what I have to say about D2 championships.

I'll address point 1. Go read history of the message board. Read the comments made after App loses. Go and read the Charlotte Observer, Southern Pigskin, News & Record comments on articles after app wins or losses. And then go an read posts made by App fans on other boards after wins and loses. And especially, go read posts of people after wins and losses on your own 2 messages boards. There are some who win with grace. There are many more that do not.

Didn't say you made excuses. I said you gave all the reasons for why I posted App as out. And basically, you've backed up the claim with your posts.

I honestly don't care about the TV deal. I can now get the games over the air. I don't have to go to a bar to watch because the local cable service doesn't have sports south. And, it is PBS in mutli-state areas, not just in NC. Using PBS gives a much wider audience potential that FSS ever did. So complain about Bert and Ernie all you want. I can watch the games now at home.

You keep insisting that I'm proving your point, so I'll do the same in turn. You legitimizing the mass of "App fans" that post on news articles and other widely available/known media just proves that these are bandwagon fans who possess a passing interest in App's success. When App begins to decline, they'll jump on another bandwagon and muddy up the water there. Fans who have been around awhile have found places like the MMB, AGS, etc. I read these forums very consistently and the overwhelming majority of it is good tempered criticism/banter, etc. In summation, if the "fan" doesn't know anywhere else to post besides the Charlotte Observer article, then that screams "Bandwagoner" to me and what better thing to do as a bandwagoner than to ride on the coat tails of others successes and be annoying about it.

I'm glad you don't care about the TV deal, many people out of state do. Last I heard the games would not be available to several cities that Socon schools reside in, much less the thousands of Alumni who live out of state. That's why I care. It makes the Socon look foolish and furthers that infamous claim by our ACC brethren that FCS football truly is an inferior product. Since you're concerned about what they think about our championships, why aren't you concerned that we're playing second fiddle to "This Old House?" You might not have had SS before, but it was available nationwide at least. How can you think viewership will increase (I'm not arguing it will decrease either, just asking) by taking a nationwide, though not available in every package, dedicated sports channel away and replacing it with a fully available 2-3 state deal on public tv? Even though it's available in most homes, unless you're a Socon sports fan already, who has the bright idea to check and see what game is on PBS? That makes me think the same fans who found a way to watch before will watch more easily now, but new fans won't be flocking to PBS to watch college football. Even if they do, they'll just replace the out of state viewers/alum who aren't included in the few states that have the deal now.

Mntneer
July 13th, 2011, 11:34 AM
And why is that???

Mostly because I see JMU and Charlotte's institutional/academic profiles as much closer to ASU than Costal's.

Mntneer
July 13th, 2011, 11:36 AM

You don't make a judgement on competitiveness based on 1 game. You can't argue that you guys are, at least in football, a perennial bottom feeder in the conference.

Saint3333
July 13th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Which team would I like to see leave the SoCon, ASU.

leatherneck177
July 13th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Glad you posted this. I almost fell off my chair when I read this. Let's not forget that Western beat the great Tony Romo in the 2002 playoffs, possibly Eastern's best football team ever.

EIU vs. WIU all time...EIU is 21-40 all time against WIU, the last two times EIU has played WIU ('02 '97) EIU has been outscored 89-9. EIU has not been interested in continuing a Football rivalry with Western. EIU does get into the playoffs, but they play in the weak OVC. EIU is 3-13 (.188) all time in playoff games and has not won a postseason game in 21 years. WIU is 6-9(.400) all time for playoffs.

Facts do not support an argument that EIU is marginally better than WIU. If however for some reason you just like EIU better, well, that's your opinion, you are certainly entitled to it.

leatherneck177
July 13th, 2011, 12:24 PM
OUT - Youngstown State

IN - Drake or Wichita State (would love to see one add scholarships or add football)

GSUhooligan
July 13th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Out: UNCG, Samford and Elon

In: Jax St., Coastal, Gay St.

Tribe4SF
July 13th, 2011, 01:34 PM
In: Charlotte as an all-sport member.

Out: Georgia State...geographic misfit who doesn't really want to be in the CAA.

Apphole
July 13th, 2011, 02:40 PM
In: UAB, ECU, Marshal, UCF, Memphis, Houston, SMU, UTEP, Tulane, Tulsa

Out: Elon, Citadel, WCU, Wofford, GSU, UTC, Samford, Furman

Oh and we should change the name

Apphole
July 13th, 2011, 02:41 PM
In: Charlotte as an all-sport member.

Out: Georgia State...geographic misfit who doesn't really want to be in the CAA.

You're trading one school for another that's exactly the same. Geography is the only factor that makes UNCC more feasible.

OL FU
July 13th, 2011, 02:44 PM

If I really think about this one, I am beginning to like the idea more and more:p:)

citdog
July 13th, 2011, 02:53 PM

don't let the door hit you on the way out. somehow we will make it without you.

BlueHenSinfonian
July 13th, 2011, 04:31 PM
In: Appy, YSU, Albany, and Stony Brook

CAA North:
UNH
Maine
Stony Brook
Albany
Villanova
Delaware
YSU

CAA South:
Richmond
W&M
JMU
ODU
Georgia State
Appy
Towson

ElonPride
July 13th, 2011, 04:52 PM

Good thing about that TV deal, because it will be over the air (OTA) - any savvy viewer that has taken advantage of the analog shutoff (or digital transition as some call it) have been able to program in more channels from other markets. On days with good atmospheric bounce from the "sporadic e layer," propagation of waves can travel immense distances. Meaning, at times I can tune in the PBS station in Chapel Hill OTA with a rooftop antenna in crystal clear HD, even though I live in Richmond. Just because the market penetration claimed by Nielsen leaves the deal at said DMAs in NC, SC and GA doesn't mean the signals will be viewed only in those states. Market bleed of signals from stronger transmissions will help garner a larger viewing audience than the FSS deal could have provided. Though OTA is a smaller portion of the viewing audience, all cable outlets in the areas mentioned in the deal carry the PBS stations. The same can not be said for FSS.

Not only that, but if you want a better game day experience while watching on TV? Watch it over the air. The signal will be much crisper than watching it via a cable or satellite provider. Your signal will be closer to the source view, instead of being compressed all to heck by the cable/satellite providers. Just a tip for the HD viewers :)

It's a win-win and GP is spot on.

bkrownd
July 13th, 2011, 05:02 PM
In: Appy, YSU, Albany, and Stony Brook

CAA North:
UNH
Maine
Stony Brook
Albany
Villanova
Delaware
YSU

CAA South:
Richmond
W&M
JMU
ODU
Georgia State
Appy
Towson

That's 2 conferences, not 1. I hate what has happened to college $football$...grumble, grumble, grumble....

Twentysix
July 13th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Good thing about that TV deal, because it will be over the air (OTA) - any savvy viewer that has taken advantage of the analog shutoff (or digital transition as some call it) have been able to program in more channels from other markets. On days with good atmospheric bounce from the "sporadic e layer," propagation of waves can travel immense distances. Meaning, at times I can tune in the PBS station in Chapel Hill OTA with a rooftop antenna in crystal clear HD, even though I live in Richmond. Just because the market penetration claimed by Nielsen leaves the deal at said DMAs in NC, SC and GA doesn't mean the signals will be viewed only in those states. Market bleed of signals from stronger transmissions will help garner a larger viewing audience than the FSS deal could have provided. Though OTA is a smaller portion of the viewing audience, all cable outlets in the areas mentioned in the deal carry the PBS stations. The same can not be said for FSS.

Not only that, but if you want a better game day experience while watching on TV? Watch it over the air. The signal will be much crisper than watching it via a cable or satellite provider. You're signal will be closer to the source view, instead of be compressed to all heck by the cable/satellite providers. Just a tip for the HD viewers :)

It's a win-win and GP is spot on.

Although if you are getting a digital channel they come in very well(picture wise) in comparison to analog channels.

The broadcast range of a digital channel is much less than that of an analog channel. They must have some pretty beefy broadcasting tower if your getting a singal that far(Though im sure an east coast tv station has alot more money for broadcasting equipment than one in ND).

Growing up I lived inbetween 2 cities in ND. It was about a 45 mile drive to one and 60 to the other, and they were along a straight highway, with an old house antenna we could get both of them, of course weather etc effected the picture.

Now we get neither in digital. Not that big of a deal cause dish and direct are alot more common now in rural area's then they were when i was growing up. But digital certainly doesn't broadcast as far around here.

Tribe4SF
July 13th, 2011, 06:20 PM
You're trading one school for another that's exactly the same. Geography is the only factor that makes UNCC more feasible.

If UNCC comes in as an all sport member, they'd be welcomed with open arms. If you're alluding to the fact that both have mentioned FBS intentions, I don't think either is getting there anytime soon. Georgia State has contributed next to nothing to the CAA. Charlotte will be a quality conference member, and will strengthen UNCW's membership.

TheRevSFA
July 13th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Southland:

Well Hell..we already lost 3 schools!

Out - Nicholls State..they just don't have the budget to be competitive.

In - Ark Tech, Oral Bob for basketball.

Go...gate
July 13th, 2011, 10:49 PM
No one is joining the PL. I think that's clear.

Ouch. Some GU supporters sound like the famous Fordham VoyForums supporter "Rambacker", who really hates the PL.

Having said that:

FCS team I would want out: No team, but I pray that the pulse Georgetown started to show last year gets stronger.

FCS team I would want in: UNH, Maine, VMI, Monmouth.

The Cats
July 14th, 2011, 04:11 AM

Bye

I think the rest of the SoCon wishes you'd quit talking about it and "just do it"

citdog
July 14th, 2011, 04:39 AM
Bye

I think the rest of the SoCon wishes you'd quit talking about it and "just do it"

the phrase "**** or get off the pot" does come to mind. I once was very passive in my attitude to this and had a "let the erring sister go in peace" type feeling but after hearing about it EVERY GODDAMN TIME ANYTHING IS POSTED ABOUT THE SOCON AND THE CONTEMPT SHOWN TO THOSE OF US WHO HAVE BEEN HAPPY IN THIS CONFERENCE SINCE BEFORE WWII AND WHO ADMITTED APPY TO OUR LEAGUE WHEN NO ONE ELSE WANTED THEM I AM NOW OF THE ATTITUDE THAT THE SOCON SHOULD SET A DATE AND DECLARE THAT APP MUST HAVE MADE A DECISION BY THAT DATE AND THAT IF THE DECISION IS TO STAY THEN ANY MENTIONING OF MOVING AFTER THAT DATE WILL RESULT IN THE EXPULSION OF APPY FROM THE LEAGUE.

dgtw
July 14th, 2011, 07:32 AM
A team can't join the FBS unless invited by a conference. The Sun Belt has said they won't take any FCS members and C-USA already has the 12 they need to have a championship game. It would take a Big East expansion to create a domino effect of other teams changing leagues and classifications.

Apphole
July 14th, 2011, 08:54 AM
We're playing the waiting game and I'll be sure to ***** about the SoCon in every thread of which Citdog is a part until that glorious day comes.

citdog
July 14th, 2011, 09:20 AM
We're playing the waiting game and I'll be sure to ***** about the SoCon in every thread of which Citdog is a part until that glorious day comes.

it's just bad manners to denigrate a conference that took you in when no one else would have you and who made you what you are. it's like being rude to your own parents. but we South Carolinian's have learned not to expect a whole lot from y'all.

LUHawker
July 14th, 2011, 10:12 AM
PL choices on either side are few. Love GU for prestige and academics also brings some nationwide currency BUT for football it is very painful and a bit sad to see them try so hard each season with such limited resources.

I would love to see W&M , Richmond and a northern school for Gate and HC. Not too much to choose from up north tho.

RPI would fit the bill for a nothern school. Yes, they are D-III and there would be a transition period, but I have yet to come up with a better fit for a nothern school.

gophoenix
July 14th, 2011, 10:34 AM

Then go, so many people are so tired of the talk, denigration and false hype around this.

asumike83
July 14th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I am an App fan that is in favor of a move to the FBS and even I am sick of all the talk about it. I think there will be some re-alignment within the FBS conferences in the coming months/years that will open up a spot for us, which our administration has prepared for by doing the feasibility study. However, there is nothing we can do to speed that process up so until it happens, I am perfectly content to enjoy ASU football in the SoCon just like I always have.

biggie
July 14th, 2011, 10:49 AM
When/if we move to FBS I will stop posting because of losing interest. Just wished some of the pro-FBS App fans would stop posting now and lose interest until we are FBS.

UNIFanSince1983
July 14th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Some of these ASU fans are starting to sound like the Wichita basketball fans. They talk about how they are too good for us in the MVC, and should move to a bigger conference. Problem being they don't have any other conferences wanting them.

dakota fairways
July 14th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Not really qualified to ask any team to leave, since North Dakota is not even really in the Big Sky yet... but

Out: Sacramento State & Portland State go to the WAC
Definitely hang on to Montana and Montana State

In: North Dakota State, South Dakota State & South Dakota

Makes the conference 12/14

Go...gate
July 14th, 2011, 12:02 PM
RPI would fit the bill for a nothern school. Yes, they are D-III and there would be a transition period, but I have yet to come up with a better fit for a nothern school.

If we were talking D-III, Union should be on the list.

drpnut
July 14th, 2011, 12:46 PM
SoCon

North:

Appy
Elon
WCU
Woffy
Furman
Duke (football only)

South:

Elcid
GaSouth
Samford
Chatty
SC State
North Alabama

49RFootballNow
July 14th, 2011, 01:01 PM
SoCon

North:

Appy
Elon
WCU
Woffy
Furman
Duke (football only)

South:

Elcid
GaSouth
Samford
Chatty
SC State
North Alabama

What? No Wake Forest?

superman7515
July 14th, 2011, 01:14 PM
It does say what FCS team, right?

Twentysix
July 14th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Yeah I change mine to the gophers. I think they would be a competitive MVFC team. Of course they would have to stay at BCS level scholarships.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 14th, 2011, 01:58 PM
it's just bad manners to denigrate a conference that took you in when no one else would have you and who made you what you are. it's like being rude to your own parents. but we South Carolinian's have learned not to expect a whole lot from y'all.

This is pretty spot on. Some of the ASU contingent can be pretty annoying with the complete lack of respect for a great conference that has propelled them to much success by virtue of it's members and the level of football they needed to achieve to be something good.

The complete lack of respect from some fans for a team I like is pretty damn sickening.

It is beginning to take on a Marshall persona and that is certainly not a good thing.

OL FU
July 14th, 2011, 02:16 PM
This is pretty spot on. Some of the ASU contingent can be pretty annoying with the complete lack of respect for a great conference that has propelled them to much success by virtue of it's members and the level of football they needed to achieve to be something good.

The complete lack of respect from some fans for a team I like is pretty damn sickening.

It is beginning to take on a Marshall persona and that is certainly not a good thing.

I agree. I think to some extent it is human nature but People shouldn't bash the house they have lived in for 40 years simply because they would like a new house. It is and has always been my opinion that schools should do what is in their best interest and if that is moving on, I will wish you the best of luck. But don't make me regret it by ragging on a place that has generally been very very good to you.

carney2
July 14th, 2011, 02:26 PM
DFW states that "no one is joining the Patriot League," which is a true enough statement. To state that there are no potential candidates however, is false. Here are a few, listed north to south, with two totally personal opinions attached:

First, their desirability as a member;

and second, the probability of it ever happening.

Oh yeah, I'm talking football only. No thought given to "all sports" membership, which could not happen in some of these cases. And, D-3 moving up is off the list. It is so far beyond a dream as to fall into the "send it to Disney for a script" category. Get real!

Maine: 80% Desirable; 20% Probable
New Hampshire: 80%; 20%
Bryant: 20%; 40%
Rhode Island: 60%; 20%
Marist: 20%; 40%
Monmouth: 40%; 40%
Villanova: 100%; 10%
Duquesne: 20%; 20%
VMI: 80%; 40%
Richmond: 100%; 10%
W&M: 80%; 10%

That's 11! Change a few things (scholarships!), have a few more CAA shuffles, and...

Go...gate
July 14th, 2011, 02:27 PM

As a northerner, I know my point of view may be discounted, but the Southern Conference is among the oldest, most historic and prestigious college conferences in any NCAA Division. It has national name recognition because of its history and traditions. ASU needs to quiet down a bit.

Go...gate
July 14th, 2011, 02:29 PM
DFW states that "no one is joining the Patriot League," which is a true enough statement. To state that there are no potential candidates however, is false. Here are a few, listed north to south, with two totally personal opinions attached:

First, their desirability as a member;

and second, the probability of it ever happening.

Oh yeah, I'm talking football only. No thought given to "all sports" membership, which could not happen in some of these cases. And, D-3 moving up is off the list. It is so far beyond a dream as to fall into the "send it to Disney for a script" category. Get real!

Maine: 80% Desirable; 20% Probable
New Hampshire: 80%; 20%
Bryant: 20%; 40%
Rhode Island: 60%; 20%
Marist: 20%; 40%
Monmouth: 40%; 40%
Villanova: 100%; 10%
Duquesne: 20%; 20%
VMI: 80%; 40%
Richmond: 100%; 10%
W&M: 80%; 10%

That's 11!

Well said.

I really think Marist is off the table. They want bigger time in basketball and we need all-sports members.

OL FU
July 14th, 2011, 02:29 PM
As a northerner, I know my point of view may be discounted, but the Southern Conference is among the oldest, most historic and prestigious college conferences in any NCAA Division. It has national name recognition because of its history and traditions. ASU needs to quiet down a bit.

I agree. From citdog's perspective, you started that sentence all wrongxlolx

Apphole
July 14th, 2011, 02:33 PM
I don't see how merely saying we want out is bashing the SoCon. Plenty of App fans have explicitly insulted the conference in a conversation about our move, but you shouldn't take offense JUST because we want out. I have loved our time in the SoCon, I'm just ready for the next step. Try to have some empathy people.

The Cats
July 14th, 2011, 02:34 PM
It is beginning to take on a Marshall persona......

.....and who were the biggest complainers about Marshall and the Marshall fans? guess who, good 'ole ASU fans.

OL FU
July 14th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I don't see how merely saying we want out is bashing the SoCon. Plenty of App fans have explicitly insulted the conference in a conversation about our move, but you shouldn't take offense JUST because we want out. I have loved our time in the SoCon, I'm just ready for the next step. Try to have some empathy people.

I don't think anyone is taking offense because you want out. Read my comment two posts before. As far as not bashing the Socon read the thread againxnodx in context with other threads:D

gophoenix
July 14th, 2011, 02:46 PM

No one is taking offense that you guys want out. It's more the private schools suck, little schools suck, the socon sucks, military schools suck, we're better than everyone else, we're not getting our way, the schools voted in aren't who we want, conspiracy theory type posts that are getting old quick.

Most of us will be happy to congratulate you as you move on. But moving on while trashing the rest as the reason to move on is pretty tasteless.

It's like someone making himself look good by making everyone else look worse. It's hard to respect someone (or a group of people) that do that.

kittiekop
July 14th, 2011, 02:55 PM

With all due respect Ursus - you been around egriz lately? There's a thread running there about the **tty BSC, how the BSC needs Montana more than Montana needs everyone else, how much above everyone else Montana is....... Even as a Bobcat fan, I respect the hell out of what Montana football has been able to build and accomplish the last 10-15 years, but if there's a group of fans out there with a sense of entitlement and lack of respect for their conference, I think it resides in Missoula.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 14th, 2011, 03:18 PM

I don't know that can be classified as anyone taking offense so much as just a diminishing of respect for the fan base. I've personally had many reasonable discussions and point/counterpoints with quite a few fans. It is not any of that which gives pause because if you think it's something good for your school then good for y'all.

If you haven't noticed it then it's probably got something to do with your state of mind on the matter but there is also a lot of disrespect and smarmy bull**** from some ASU fans going on and you have been part of that.

As far as the perception you might do well to not be so high & mighty and above the conference that has in part afforded you the success you have achieved.

Not a problem if you don't care how your institution appears but I'm flat out telling you that I have kept an eye on App for about 15-20 yrs. and become a pretty good fan at a distance for the last 10 yrs. and the constant snide remarks about the schools in the SoCon and App fans not getting their way in the democratic process of who's in and who's out in the past is pretty petty stuff. I think you'd agree it's pretty tough to like and respect a guy that is constantly telling you how much better he is than his peers and that he can't wait to ditch em', especially when they helped him get to where he's at in some form.

That is Marshall and it's the kind of fella you wouldn't mind seeing fall flat on his face. It's not completely prevalent with App fans yet but it sure seems to be gaining steam and that is what is unfortunate to me.

StorminASU
July 14th, 2011, 03:46 PM
That is Marshall and it's the kind of fella you wouldn't mind seeing fall flat on his face. It's not completely prevalent with App fans yet but it sure seems to be gaining steam and that is what is unfortunate to me.

How can you make such a sweeping generalization as to say it's gaining steam, when not even all the fans on an FCS forum are taking this stance? I realize we can get caught up in a message board, but what small % of ASU fans even use online forums, much less post on AGS; and out of that diminished population, an even fewer number are calling their peer institutions names and behaving ungrateful. It is out of this sample, we're all getting called ungrateful.

Do I (and many other people) want to move up? No, we want what is best for the school. I also bet that the vast majority of App fans are very appreciative of the Socon for allowing a place for us to take the strides we did. Let's keep this in perspective before everyone joins in on the App bashing express.

OL FU
July 14th, 2011, 03:50 PM
How can you make such a sweeping generalization as to say it's gaining steam, when not even all the fans on an FCS forum are taking this stance? I realize we can get caught up in a message board, but what small % of ASU fans even use online forums, much less post on AGS; and out of that diminished population, an even fewer number are calling their peer institutions names and behaving ungrateful. It is out of this sample, we're all getting called ungrateful.

Do I (and many other people) want to move up? No, we want what is best for the school. I also bet that the vast majority of App fans are very appreciative of the Socon for allowing a place for us to take the strides we did. Let's keep this in perspective before everyone joins in on the App bashing express.

Sweeping generalities is what we do here:o

ursus arctos horribilis
July 14th, 2011, 04:44 PM

Storm, you didn't know I was talking about the fans on here or on CS?

You can not be serious?

BTW, you also seem to take the "gaining steam" part as something that it is not. I'll ask you...in your opinion dow the App posters that want to move up seem more vocal and use the words/phrase "small, private, & institution" along with "We've outgrown the SoCon and need better competition"?

ASU is a fun group, always have been. The posters can give it and take it with the best of them. They have also been primarily very respectful as well while dishing out some jabs in the process. That is happening a lot less in the past few months and the general tone appears to be just a lot more vitriolic than the general good natured attitude and counter punching ability.

Maybe I'm only looking at the SoCon threads or general threads where the "so long suckers, we're outta here" gets worked in? It ain't meant to be taken personally by anyone but I'm saying the smarmy thing is pretty noticeable.

Tribal
July 14th, 2011, 05:59 PM
IN: Towson (JK)

IN: Liberty, Elon, and GSU
OUT: Villanova

Skjellyfetti
July 14th, 2011, 06:16 PM
No Montana fan would EVER be brazen enough to suggest moving up to FBS. Only App fans ever contemplate such a move. ;)

Apphole
July 14th, 2011, 06:36 PM
When a man and a woman break up, it doesn't mean that one or both of the two are *** holes. It just means they weren't right for each other. I want to move up because that's what's best for App State. When I criticize this conference and certain schools, it's because I have a legitimate, specific grievance. It's not out of a fundamental distaste for the SoCon. For instance, the SoCon admission process has shifted to favor private schools and it's changed the dynamic of the SoCon to a conflicting goal than that of App State. It's debatable sure, but it's my opinion. The fact that people are twisting this into and some sort of ungrateful attitude shared by our whole fan base is pretty unfounded. I'd rather play ECU than Elon because of pretty obvious reasons. Also, when I make a comment about a SoCon school, it's intended to be pretty straight forward. I think some of you are reading too much into it and making implications that aren't there. When I say Elon has a high school stadium I mean Elon has a high school stadium. Not Elon as a program is entirely inferior to App state in every way and it's an embarassment to share a conference with the likes of them. I am very aware of the history of App and this conference and I have no delusions of grandeur. I'm just a man who wants to see App with like-minded institutions and I like to talk s***. Sue me.

Grizzaholic
July 14th, 2011, 06:39 PM
When a man and a woman break up, it doesn't mean that one or both of the two are *** holes. It just means they weren't right for each other. I want to move up because that's what's best for App State. When I criticize this conference and certain schools, it's because I have a legitimate, specific grievance. It's not out of a fundamental distaste for the SoCon. For instance, the SoCon admission process has shifted to favor private schools and it's changed the dynamic of the SoCon to a conflicting goal than that of App State. It's debatable sure, but it's my opinion. The fact that people are twisting this into and some sort of ungrateful attitude shared by our whole fan base is pretty unfounded. I'd rather play ECU than Elon because of pretty obvious reasons. Also, when I make a comment about a SoCon school, it's intended to be pretty straight forward. I think some of you are reading too much into it and making implications that aren't there. When I say Elon has a high school stadium I mean Elon has a high school stadium. Not Elon as a program is entirely inferior to App state in every way and it's an embarassment to share a conference with the likes of them. I am very aware of the history of App and this conference and I have no delusions of grandeur. I'm just a man who wants to see App with like-minded institutions and I like to talk s***. Sue me.

OH no.....Don't want to open that up.

But I can see a few of your points...and the best of them all is this...."it is my opinion".

citdog
July 14th, 2011, 06:48 PM

cops?

Apphole
July 14th, 2011, 07:04 PM
No cops

citdog
July 14th, 2011, 07:05 PM
lunch?

Apphole
July 14th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Only if you say something nice about black people.

dbackjon
July 14th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Lunch, no cops, no pictures, maybe homo

Grizzaholic
July 14th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Lunch, no cops, no pictures, maybe homo

6-pack?

ursus arctos horribilis
July 14th, 2011, 07:27 PM
No Montana fan would EVER be brazen enough to suggest moving up to FBS. Only App fans ever contemplate such a move. ;)

Of course they would skelly. Suggesting it isn't really the point though is it? AZGriz has often done the "holier than thou" act about getting away from the BSC and I'm pretty sure I've had integrity in saying the same sorts of things there.

citdog
July 14th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Only if you say something nice about black people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDBhaiOHV8U

hapapp
July 14th, 2011, 08:21 PM
So millions of out of state fans will jerry rig an antenna so they can watch SoCon football? It may work out better for the conference, but don't pretend that many viewers outside of the three states will actually watch the PBS broadcast. It is a better deal for the alums in those three states. No matter how you try to spin it, it is not a better deal for viewers outside of those states.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 14th, 2011, 08:24 PM
So millions of out of state fans will jerry rig an antenna so they can watch SoCon football? It may work out better for the conference, but don't pretend that many viewers outside of the three states will actually watch the PBS broadcast. It is a better deal for the alums in those three states. No matter how you try to spin it, it is not a better deal for viewers outside of those states.

I think you got confused on which thread you were replying to.

hapapp
July 14th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Responding to Post #123 in this discussion.

Grizzaholic
July 14th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Responding to Post #123 in this discussion.

Ahhhh...

SpiritCymbal
July 14th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Southern Conference:

Out: Appalachian St. & Georgia Southern

In: Don't care....

ASU and GSU don't fit in the SoCon anymore. Large, public universities striving for improvement and growth...Pretty much the exact opposite of the conference footprint and the conferences efforts for the future.

citdog
July 14th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Southern Conference:

ASU and GSU don't fit in the SoCon anymore. Large, public universities striving for improvement and growth...Pretty much the exact opposite of the conference footprint and the conferences efforts for the future.

JEEBUS TITTY****ING CHRIST......

Skjellyfetti
July 14th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Southern Conference:

Uh oh. You've gone and done it now. SoCon must be praised and respected at all times, please.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 14th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Uh oh. You've gone and done it now. SoCon must be praised and respected at all times, please.

Sorry you took that so hard skelly. I take it back...all better?

All you guys are the funniest, most bestest, humble fella's I've ever had the good pleasure of reading.

citdog
July 14th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Sorry you took that so hard skelly. I take it back...all better?

All you guys are the funniest, most bestest, humble fella's I've ever had the good pleasure of reading.

http://www.adamdanielmezei.com/uploads/ManchurianCandidate.jpg

OL FU
July 15th, 2011, 06:46 AM

Points takenxthumbsupx

Now where is IvyTalk when you need himxlolx

dgtw
July 15th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Hasn't the SoCon always been (at least in the last 40 years) been a public/private mix?

Tribal
July 15th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Hasn't the SoCon always been (at least in the last 40 years) been a public/private mix?

Most conferences are with the exception of the Ivy League.

TribeAdvocate
July 15th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Isn't Cornell itself a public/private mix?

LeadBolt
July 15th, 2011, 08:30 AM
The SoCon had the highest number of private schools (6) from 1936-1953 with Washington & Lee, Duke, Davidson, George Washington, Richmond, and Wake Forest as members.

dgtw
July 15th, 2011, 08:41 AM
The OVC is all public, though future non-football member Belmont is a private school.

UNIFanSince1983
July 15th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I am pretty sure the MVFC is all public.

I don't see how that should matter, but I guess may be in the minority on this. I could care less what kind of academic school the teams we are playing against are. I just like teams in my athletic conference to be on the same level athletically.

phoenixphanatic21
July 15th, 2011, 09:50 AM
I don't see how that should matter, but I guess may be in the minority on this. I could care less what kind of academic school the teams we are playing against are. I just like teams in my athletic conference to be on the same level athletically.

You're not alone. I'm the same way on that issue.

DFW HOYA
July 15th, 2011, 10:00 AM

Yes.

Pitbull
July 15th, 2011, 11:21 AM
and I'd like to know where 50 MILLION DOLLARS of taxpayer money disappeared from at your corrupt RACIST "university".

Why don't you ......

http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/STFU/2/STFU-BigGlass.jpg

Update: S.C. State not missing millions

There is no evidence that S.C. State University is missing millions set aside for the James E. Clyburn Transportation Center, the S.C. Legislative Audit Council says.

Even so, the report did find a number of missteps and delays that cost the university in its effort to build the center.

Dr. George Cooper, S.C. State's president, said the finding that millions are not missing is the most important point of the report.

Read more: http://www.thetandd.com/news/article_e74662fe-9c0b-11e0-98b9-001cc4c03286.html#ixzz1SBvqMbXQ (There is no evidence that S.C. State University is missing millions set aside for the James E. Clyburn Transportation Center, the S.C. Legislative Audit Council says. Even so, the report did find a number of missteps and delays that cost the university in its effort to build the center. Dr. George Cooper, S.C. State's president, said the finding that millions are not missing is the most important point of the report.

Read more: http://www.thetandd.com/news/article_e74662fe-9c0b-11e0-98b9-001cc4c03286.html#ixzz1SBvqMbXQ)

carney2
July 15th, 2011, 01:09 PM

As DFW has so eloquently put it, "Yes," but elaborating:

A student does not apply to and is not accepted by Cornell University. Rather, he/she applies to and is accepted by a specific college within the University. Some of the colleges are "private" with correspondingly high tuition and admissions standards, while some of the colleges are "public" with a lower cost and a broader acceptance, particularly for New York residents.

The "private" colleges are
The College of Arts and Sciences - This is the Ivy League component of Cornell.
The College of Engineering
The School of Hotel Administration
The College of Architecture, Art, and Planning

The "public" colleges are:
The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
The College of Human Ecology
The School of Industrial and Labor Relations

It is a very strange place because, by and large, anyone from any of the colleges can take the same courses as those from other colleges and sit in a seat next to someone paying far more or less for that same privilege. New York high schoolers know how to play the game and will apply to one of the "public" colleges because they know that after four years their diploma will also say "Cornell" on it.

As for athletics, any student in good standing at any of the colleges is eligible to participate. It has always struck me as incredibly perplexing, and even incompetent, in that, with a "public" school admissions process at their disposal, Cornell has been more or less non-competitive with their Ivy brethren who are theoretically forced to pick their student-athlete fruit from a much more sparsely populated part of the tree.

Tribal
July 15th, 2011, 01:13 PM
I am pretty sure the MVFC is all public.

Agree with you 100%.

OL FU
July 15th, 2011, 01:42 PM
The SoCon had the highest number of private schools (6) from 1936-1953 with Washington & Lee, Duke, Davidson, George Washington, Richmond, and Wake Forest as members.

you left Furman out. That would make 7

citdog
July 15th, 2011, 01:45 PM

i was going to point that out but got distracted thinking about a world without furman............it made my sticker peck up.

LeadBolt
July 15th, 2011, 02:18 PM

Sorry about that! I loved the rivalry with Furman when I was at W&M. Of the 43 schools I counted (hopefully I didn't mess this up as well), that have been SoCon members so far, Furman, The Citadel, Davidson, VMI and Va Tech were the only ones who were members longer than W&M...

Go...gate
July 15th, 2011, 03:30 PM
As DFW has so eloquently put it, "Yes," but elaborating:

A student does not apply to and is not accepted by Cornell University. Rather, he/she applies to and is accepted by a specific college within the University. Some of the colleges are "private" with correspondingly high tuition and admissions standards, while some of the colleges are "public" with a lower cost and a broader acceptance, particularly for New York residents.

The "private" colleges are
The College of Arts and Sciences - This is the Ivy League component of Cornell.
The College of Engineering
The School of Hotel Administration
The College of Architecture, Art, and Planning

The "public" colleges are:
The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
The College of Human Ecology
The School of Industrial and Labor Relations

It is a very strange place because, by and large, anyone from any of the colleges can take the same courses as those from other colleges and sit in a seat next to someone paying far more or less for that same privilege. New York high schoolers know how to play the game and will apply to one of the "public" colleges because they know that after four years their diploma will also say "Cornell" on it.

As for athletics, any student in good standing at any of the colleges is eligible to participate. It has always struck me as incredibly perplexing, and even incompetent, in that, with a "public" school admissions process at their disposal, Cornell has been more or less non-competitive with their Ivy brethren who are theoretically forced to pick their student-athlete fruit from a much more sparsely populated part of the tree.

As we like (as does Syracuse) to call our arch-rival, "SUNY Ithaca".

blaw0203
July 16th, 2011, 02:01 AM
MEAC:

Where do I start?
OUT: Howard, University of Maryland Eastern Shore, Coppin State, Savannah State, Deleware

IN: Tennessee State

OL FU
July 16th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Sorry about that! I loved the rivalry with Furman when I was at W&M. Of the 43 schools I counted (hopefully I didn't mess this up as well), that have been SoCon members so far, Furman, The Citadel, Davidson, VMI and Va Tech were the only ones who were members longer than W&M...

No biggie. I remember watching W&M an Furman at the Old Sirrine Stadium. I thinkFurman the Citadel are the longest continuing members. Davidson would be longer but they left the Socon for a year or two.

OL FU
July 16th, 2011, 07:16 AM
No biggie. I remember watching W&M an Furman at the Old Sirrine Stadium. I thinkFurman the Citadel are the longest continuing members. Davidson would be longer but they left the Socon for a year or two.

http://printereagle.younce.net/history/socontimeline.html

There may be some inaccuracies here but one GSU fan laid it out fairly well.

superman7515
July 16th, 2011, 07:32 AM
In: App State
Out: Maine

superman7515
July 16th, 2011, 07:33 AM
MEAC:

Where do I start?
OUT: Howard, University of Maryland Eastern Shore, Coppin State, Savannah State, Deleware

IN: Tennessee State

C'mon BLaw! UMES & Coppin State don't have FCS teams and Delaware isn't in the MEAC. ;)

Saint3333
July 16th, 2011, 08:16 AM
In: App State
Out: Maine

Sounds good to me.

blaw0203
July 16th, 2011, 12:19 PM
C'mon BLaw! UMES & Coppin State don't have FCS teams and Delaware isn't in the MEAC. ;)

Delaware State - You know what I mean! And I know UMES and Coppin dont have FCS teams, but I still would like to see them gone, along with Howard and Savannah! That would give us a ten member conference, all we need!

AggieFinn
July 16th, 2011, 01:49 PM
San Diego.

citdog
July 16th, 2011, 02:15 PM
San Diego.

with this kind of violent past I can see why

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ci4T_p559E

grayghost06
July 16th, 2011, 02:53 PM

Perhaps amongst the Dakota people. To me, it's like one exit in New Jersey claiming superiority over another exit :)

citdog
July 16th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Perhaps amongst the Dakata people. To me, it's like one exit in New Jersey claiming superiority over another exit :)

only you have to pump your own gas.

also beer at gas stations

also sodomy

SoCon48
July 17th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Granted it's no secret that we want out of the Big South bad!!! Really bad!!!! I would have to say that I would like to see Furman join our conference just because it gives us a better regional rival.

The team I would like to see go... It's a tie between Gardner-Webb and Charleston Southern. They have crappy facilities, a non-existent fan base, and there doesn't seem to be anything to note of in terms of positive growth for either.

I hate to say this but I hope we stay with Liberty if they or we move to another conference. I hate that school with a passion and I know it's mutual with a lot of their fans. Thats why I want both schools to stay together, because of our rivalry! I love nothing more then to watch them lose to us.

Liberty has beaten CCU 3 out of the last 4 years you know.

BlueHenSinfonian
July 17th, 2011, 02:58 PM
only you have to pump your own gas.

also beer at gas stations

also sodomy

So in your expert opinion, do you prefer the sodomy in North Dakota or South Dakota?

citdog
July 17th, 2011, 03:04 PM
So in your expert opinion, do you prefer the sodomy in North Dakota or South Dakota?

What do you think? OF COURSE the sodomy of SOUTH dakota is FAR superior.

Coastal44
July 17th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Liberty has beaten CCU 3 out of the last 4 years you know.

Um... Yes, I do know that. I was speaking of what I like to see not what has happened. And besides that, we hold the only stat that counts; we are are still the ONLY Big South school to make it to the playoffs. So yea, they beat us three of the last four but they didn't do it when it counted!

SoCon48
July 17th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Yeah but you sounded like it was a regular occurence: "I love nothing more then to watch them lose to us"

GaSouthern
July 18th, 2011, 07:45 AM
For the SoCon i'd like to see ODU, Coastal Carolina, JMU in no order