PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Announces Public Television Partnership

Pages : [1] 2

phoenixphanatic21
July 11th, 2011, 08:25 AM
The Southern Conference, in conjunction with its marketing partner CSE, announced today (July 11) the league has agreed to a three-year plan with public television systems in Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina to televise the conference's football package. The distribution platform will reach nearly 11 million homes through 32 affiliates, making it the largest regional distribution option across both broadcast and cable. The conference's football package for the 2011 season was also announced as part of the agreement.

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205180228&DB_OEM_ID=4000

The conference also announced its 2011 televised games.

Oct. 1 Appalachian State at Wofford 3:00 p.m.
Oct. 8 Chattanooga at Georgia Southern 3:00 p.m.
Oct. 15 Furman at Georgia Southern 3:00 p.m.
Oct. 22 Chattanooga at Elon 3:00 p.m.
Oct. 29 Georgia Southern at Appalachian State 3:00 p.m.
Nov. 5 Wofford at Western Carolina 3:00 p.m.
Nov. 12 Samford at The Citadel 3:00 p.m.
Nov. 19 Appalachian State at Elon 3:00 p.m.

Finally I can watch SoCon games again since I couldn't get Fox Sports South before. I can't wait for football season.

AppAlum2003
July 11th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Awesome! Can't wait to see the Apps on PBS!

Maybe they'll be on right after Caillou!

GaSouthern
July 11th, 2011, 08:36 AM
3 Games for GSU! I'm happy about that!

phoenixphanatic21
July 11th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Awesome! Can't wait to see the Apps on PBS!

Maybe they'll be on right after Caillou!

And I can catch Nova after the Elon game! This is perfect!

Sly Fox
July 11th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Scratching my head at whether this is a good development or a sign that FCS is in trouble when the best one of its top leagues can manage is a commercial-free broadcast package. But I guess any more television coverage is a good thing.

klak
July 11th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Scratching my head at whether this is a good development or a sign that FCS is in trouble when the best one of its top leagues can manage is a commercial-free broadcast package. But I guess any more television coverage is a good thing.

In addition, the league will have control over pregame, halftime and postgame content while both parties will have an equal share of the sponsor breaks.

GPB has commercials during the High School championships, so it won't be unheard of.

phoenixphanatic21
July 11th, 2011, 09:25 AM
But I guess any more television coverage is a good thing.

That's how I see it. I'm just psyched to watch SoCon game again, since I couldn't since I moved to the NC coast.

Coastal44
July 11th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Sounds good! Man, I hate the Big South!!!xshakingmadx

biggie
July 11th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Kind of dissappointing, picture quality compared to the SportsSouth broadcast will be down I'm sure.

Saint3333
July 11th, 2011, 10:00 AM

This is not a good sign. Can you tell me how to get to Sesame Street? Don't know, just follow the SoCon.

chattownmocs
July 11th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Another step towards the SOCON and CAA joining the non auto Qualifiers in FBS to create a new division of college football.

eaglewraith
July 11th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Kind of dissappointing, picture quality compared to the SportsSouth broadcast will be down I'm sure.

Actually it should be better. I never saw a SportSouth broadcasted Socon game in HD although I know they can do it. Public television, at least in Georgia, broadcasts pretty much everything in HD so I anticipate it actually looking better.

Skjellyfetti
July 11th, 2011, 10:38 AM

We actually paid Sports South to broadcast our games in previous years.

GlassOnion
July 11th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I like the fact everyone in those states can see it, but the production aspect scares me. Also, who looks at PBS on Gameday?

biggie
July 11th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Actually it should be better. I never saw a SportSouth broadcasted Socon game in HD although I know they can do it. Public television, at least in Georgia, broadcasts pretty much everything in HD so I anticipate it actually looking better.
PBS in NC looks like everything was recorded in the 70s.

AppAlum2003
July 11th, 2011, 11:29 AM
PBS in NC looks like everything was recorded in the 70s.

Actually if you pull down the PBS(HD) via OTA in the Charlotte area, the picture quality is better than most of the other HD offerings from NBC, CBS, Fox, etc.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 11th, 2011, 11:47 AM

Can't say anything about the broadcasts in the Carolinas, but I've watched high school football games on Georgia Public TV and the quality was somewhat better than what we got on SS.

Saint3333
July 11th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Some are celebrating this announcement? Guys this isn't a step up.

GlassOnion
July 11th, 2011, 12:04 PM
This is about the conference saving cash. Same number of games being broadcast, on a network that most potential viewers overlook, especially on gameday..

SU DOG
July 11th, 2011, 12:20 PM
This really sucks. As of the announcement, there is NO agreement with PBS in Tennessee or APT in Alabama. At least some UTC fans in Chattanooga can get GPB, but what about state coverage? In Alabama, there is a good chance that APT will not even carry the games at all. Great news for those schools recruiting against us and the Mocs. As a natter of fact, I can't see this step helping any SoCon Team in this respect. It's not very impressive when you hear the announcement that today's SoCon Game is brought to you by the Letter 'W'.

GlassOnion
July 11th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Oh, and to go ahead and sign a 3 year deal, stupid.

cannonballgsu
July 11th, 2011, 12:47 PM
This really sucks. As of the announcement, there is NO agreement with PBS in Tennessee or APT in Alabama. At least some UTC fans in Chattanooga can get GPB, but what about state coverage? In Alabama, there is a good chance that APT will not even carry the games at all. Great news for those schools recruiting against us and the Mocs. As a natter of fact, I can't see this step helping any SoCon Team in this respect. It's not very impressive when you hear the announcement that today's SoCon Game is brought to you by the Letter 'W'.

That is hilarious.

Gringer1
July 11th, 2011, 12:48 PM
There are aspects of this deal that I really like. Being on PBS means every tv in the coverage area can tune in. With the conference doing the actual production, they will play up the schools and the FCS as a whole. The games will also be available online, allowing anybody anywhere to watch them on demand, something we couldn't do before. The only problem I see is a perceived loss of legitimacy from not appearing on a dedicated sports channel. However, this perception could be mitigated by the fact that we are now on a readily available channel and not a second tier cable station. I was initially very concerned, but I am coming around to support this move.

WUTNDITWAA
July 11th, 2011, 01:11 PM

In Cullowhee, it's brought to you by the Letter "L". :D

hapapp
July 11th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Personally, I don't like it since I live in Virginia. In past years, I was able to watch the games on SportsSouth. I realize this may make the games more available to those in the immediate footprint of the SoCon but the rest of us in the Southeast have lost our access to SoCon football and basketball. It may work out better for the conference, but it seems odd to me to turn to PBS for the games...will the casual observer even think to check out PBS for a football game?

I guess I'll get my FCS fix watching CAA football instead.

Sly Fox
July 11th, 2011, 01:35 PM
hapapp - In Rocky Mount you should be able to get PLENTY of the Flames Sports Network. That's just as good to an App alum, right? Haha

AppAlum2003
July 11th, 2011, 01:49 PM
...and you'll probably get into heaven if you watch the Liberty games.

Sly Fox
July 11th, 2011, 02:01 PM
It'd likely take more than just watching ... but it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Mntneer
July 11th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Some are celebrating this announcement? Guys this isn't a step up.

I understand the concerns, but for those of us that couldn't get SportSouth, it really is a step up.

AppAlum2003
July 11th, 2011, 02:21 PM

You sly fox, you. xangelx

Apphole
July 11th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I'm really in disbelief that people are excited about this. Even if you didn't get Sports South, it still means that your school is playing football on PBS for Christ sake. Even as a former neighbor of Mr. Rogers, I'm still pissed. It's time for the 2 big football schools in the SoCon to move along and leave the spot between Barney and Sesame St. to the little guys.

Saint3333
July 11th, 2011, 03:16 PM
I understand the concerns, but for those of us that couldn't get SportSouth, it really is a step up.

A step up for the individuals in NC, SC, and GA that want to watch TV, but not ASU as a program and not the SoCon.

AtlantaMountaineer
July 11th, 2011, 03:40 PM
You would think the Socon would atleast get the call letters for the Atlanta PBS station correct. There is no WVTV in Atlanta. I assume the games will be aired on WGTV.

chattownmocs
July 11th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I'm really in disbelief that people are excited about this. Even if you didn't get Sports South, it still means that your school is playing football on PBS for Christ sake. Even as a former neighbor of Mr. Rogers, I'm still pissed. It's time for the 2 big football schools in the SoCon to move along and leave the spot between Barney and Sesame St. to the little guys.

There arent any big football schools in the southern conference. PBS is public TV, it isnt cable. It is usually on channel 2 or 8 or something instead of 53 or whatever. More people be able to tune in, and more people will. The SOCON is not going to build its brand nationally, this can make it bigger in the southeast.

citdog
July 11th, 2011, 03:55 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBfYQOSSPqc&feature=related

SU DOG
July 11th, 2011, 04:13 PM
There arent any big football schools in the southern conference. PBS is public TV, it isn't cable. It is usually on channel 2 or 8 or something instead of 53 or whatever. More people be able to tune in, and more people will. The SOCON is not going to build its brand nationally, this can make it bigger in the southeast.

Bigger in the southeast??? Do you not understand that your school's coverage will NOT even be as good as it was in the state of TN unless something additional is worked out? As for the 2 largest, ASU has a huge fan base outside of North Carolina and Ga Southern has many followers in FL, for example. This, not even to mention that Samford seems to be totally thrown under the bus. Granted, a few are understandably happy because they couldn't get FSS, but for any others to celebrate this is an upgrade is strange IMO.

chattownmocs
July 11th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Bigger in the southeast??? Do you not understand that your school's coverage will NOT even be as good as it was in the state of TN unless something additional is worked out? As for the 2 largest, ASU has a huge fan base outside of North Carolina and Ga Southern has many followers in FL, for example. This, not even to mention that Samford seems to be totally thrown under the bus. Granted, a few are understandably happy because they couldn't get FSS, but for any others to celebrate this is an upgrade is strange IMO.

I never knew it was on FSS.

Mountaineer
July 11th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I never knew..

Truer words have never been typed. ;)

SU DOG
July 11th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I never knew it was on FSS.

My bad. SportsSouth then. Same questions to you.

GlassOnion
July 11th, 2011, 05:46 PM
My bad. SportsSouth then. Same questions to you.

I dont like the move to begin with, but the predicament the Socon put Chattanooga and particularly Samford, I find outrageous. I want Imarino or whatever his name is OUT. (And App out too.)

OL FU
July 11th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Since I haven't read the entire thread, did SportsSouth ditch us or did we make the choice. If the Socon made the choice, it would be interesting to understand the economics.

Mountaineer
July 11th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Since I haven't read the entire thread, did SportsSouth ditch us or did we make the choice. If the Socon made the choice, it would be interesting to understand the economics.

Knowing how the SoCon operates I'd say the conference made the choice. Weren't they were paying SS for the coverage to begin with? Probably see this as a way to save money, even after taking over the production and other things associated with putting the games on air.

OL FU
July 11th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Knowing how the SoCon operates I'd say the conference made the choice. Weren't they were paying SS for the coverage to begin with? Probably see this as a way to save money, even after taking over the production and other things associated with putting the games on air.

Probably true. I don't really know the deal with the TV networks. But I would certainly imagine that PBS would be a cheaper production. I have seen a few games on the PBS channels and they aren't much more than a couple of cameras. hope it improves with this deal.

Mountaineer
July 11th, 2011, 06:24 PM
..hope it improves with this deal.

This is the SoCon we're talkin' about. xshakefistx I thought the coverage on SS was decent enough, hell I even liked Sam Wyche and ain't he some Furman puke? :D

GaSouthern
July 11th, 2011, 06:28 PM
This is the SoCon we're talkin' about. xshakefistx I thought the coverage on SS was decent enough, hell I even liked Sam Wyche and ain't he some Furman puke? :D

That's "Confirmative"

Mountaineer
July 11th, 2011, 06:34 PM
That's "Confirmative"

xlolx Thought so.

In any case he was giving out plenty of love to the Apps over the past few years when I tuned in. Makes him a okay in my book. xthumbsupx

citdog
July 11th, 2011, 06:35 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTpuCIT9rZg

OL FU
July 11th, 2011, 06:40 PM

The good news is that the Furman fans won't have to change the channel to watch the gamexlolx

T-Dog
July 11th, 2011, 06:42 PM
If Sam Wyche wasn't a part of the deal then I'm liking it more and more.

It's not like SoCon Saturday on SportSouth was some measuring stick of college football on TV.

OL FU
July 11th, 2011, 06:53 PM
If Sam Wyche wasn't a part of the deal then I'm liking it more and more.

It's not like SoCon Saturday on SportSouth was some measuring stick of college football on TV.

Compared with most regional telecast of games, I thought Sam was a good color guy. I realize after his throat surgery he was a little difficult to listen to. If I wasn't a Furman fan, my biggest problem would be that he had a hard time hiding his purple. He did a good job of giving kudos to the other teams and spreading the love, but in my opinion it was obvious where he went to school and who he played for.

T-Dog
July 11th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Sam had a knack for pointing out such things such as if you get 10 yards on a 3rd and 9, you get a first down. And he would take about 20-30 seconds to make that point.

OL FU
July 11th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Sam had a knack for pointing out such things such as if you get 10 yards on a 3rd and 9, you get a first down. And he would take about 20-30 seconds to make that point.

that's how he got to the Super bowlxnodx Math's importantxlolx

citdog
July 11th, 2011, 07:07 PM

http://www.ugtreat.com/wp-content/uploads/products_img/jw%20red.jpg

OL FU
July 11th, 2011, 07:11 PM
http://www.ugtreat.com/wp-content/uploads/products_img/jw%20red.jpg

xrolleyesx

http://www.1-877-spirits.com/store/images/large/Johnnie-Walker-BlueLabel-lg.jpg

xnodx

Skjellyfetti
July 11th, 2011, 07:12 PM
lots of good SoCon-on-PBS jokes on twitter.

"Next on UNC-TV, Bob Ross paints a beautiful tailgating scene of Appalachian State University in the Blue Ridge Mountains #SoConFootballOnPBS"

"We talk to the Western Carolina coaching staff coming up on this episode of 'This Old Playbook'. #SoConFootballonPBS"

"#SoConFootballonPBS If you have never watched The Joy of Painting, it's oddly peaceful -- like a Citadel v Samford game."

mad_dog97
July 11th, 2011, 07:17 PM
hapapp - In Rocky Mount you should be able to get PLENTY of the Flames Sports Network. That's just as good to an App alum, right? Haha

Having grown up in Rocky Mount (well, Burnt Chimney to be more precise), I'm just amazed to see it being referenced here on AGS. Love going back to FC, but it truly is a one horse town.

Mountaineer
July 11th, 2011, 07:20 PM
"#SoConFootballonPBS If you have never watched The Joy of Painting, it's oddly peaceful -- like a Citadel v Samford game."

xlolx

The SoCon never ceases to amaze, that's for sure.

xoopsx

chattownmocs
July 11th, 2011, 07:29 PM
If the same game is on PBS and SS. More People are going to be watching the PBS broadcast by a 3-1 margin. Simply based on the numerical number of the channel. Its a far better avenue to raise the profile of the conference than Sportsouth.

OL FU
July 11th, 2011, 07:32 PM
as someone mentioned on the uffp, and if you are a youngin' you can't relate, I can remember when a SoCon team on TV was a rarity. so I guess I will take what we can get and let the rest of you complain:p

chattownmocs
July 11th, 2011, 07:40 PM
The die hard fans of FCS football can easily be blinded here. You have to look at it from a broader perpective. Most people arent looking for the SOCON game of the week. They are simply flipping channels and watching many college football games on a Saturday. Many will accidentally land on PBS and watch a thrilling SOCON game. Most people dont know what channel SS is.

Apphole
July 11th, 2011, 08:01 PM
There arent any big football schools in the southern conference.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you've never been to Boone, NC or Statesboro, GA. Not every large public school is as lame as yours.

citdog
July 11th, 2011, 08:15 PM

obviously you're a douche who has never been. unlike the appy mountain gayboy heard after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5GtERSo7xw

hapapp
July 11th, 2011, 09:26 PM

Then I'm bound for Hell! ;-)

Gringer1
July 11th, 2011, 09:59 PM
obviously you're a douche who has never been. unlike the appy mountain gayboy heard after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5GtERSo7xw

They shoot that cannon after touch downs and victories, right? That explains why I've never heard it.

chattanoogamocs
July 11th, 2011, 10:16 PM
For those who may be wondering, I was told during the SoCon basketball tournament that the deal with Sport South was going to be ending. Sport South wanted more than the SoCon could afford (I had heard the price was going to double...which, btw, was about 6 times more than it was 10 years ago).

Basically, Sport South was not going to give the SoCon a prime mid-Saturday spot with a significant increase in money. It basically left the SoCon with the option CSS (which is specifically Comcast/Charter and excludes wide areas of the SoCon) or....what they ended up doing.

I am not blaming the SoCon (they don't have the money...just like the schools have to play money games every year to survive)...and I am not blaming Sport South either (they can get more money for the spot, they are in the business to make money)...but it still sucks.

chattanoogamocs
July 11th, 2011, 10:17 PM
BTW...hasn't The Citadel had games on in the past on SCETV? I seem to remember them having a couple one year, including (IIRC) Furman/The Citadel.

citdog
July 11th, 2011, 10:25 PM
BTW...hasn't The Citadel had games on in the past on SCETV? I seem to remember them having a couple one year, including (IIRC) Furman/The Citadel.

yes. the 3 overtime game when furman had a Qb named Dingleberry Martin.

chattanoogamocs
July 11th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I was saying on Mocfans earlier today how interesting it will be to go in to a sport bar this fall and ask if they could turn a TV on PBS so I can watch SoCon football...this, of course, will be said in a whisper with eye averted from the bartender. :)

Mountaineer
July 11th, 2011, 10:38 PM
I was saying on Mocfans earlier today how interesting it will be to go in to a sport bar this fall and ask if they could turn a TV on PBS so I can watch SoCon football...this, of course, will be said in a whisper with eye averted from the bartender. :)

I'd rather pick up a six pack and stream it over the puter at home than have to suffer from that sort of embarrassment. :o

chattanoogamocs
July 11th, 2011, 10:45 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens to other FCS conference packages over the coming years. For instance, I was told that the deal the OVC got when they signed on very early with ESPNU will not happen again. ESPNU was looking for any kind of programming they could get their hands on back then...now conferences are going to have to pony up some pretty serious money to keep their contracts.

Just another example of the rich getting richer and the rest scrambling for a chair at the kiddie table.

Skjellyfetti
July 11th, 2011, 10:57 PM
http://www.appfan.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/notabadideaactually.jpg

WestCoastAggie
July 11th, 2011, 11:08 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens to other FCS conference packages over the coming years. For instance, I was told that the deal the OVC got when they signed on very early with ESPNU will not happen again. ESPNU was looking for any kind of programming they could get their hands on back then...now conferences are going to have to pony up some pretty serious money to keep their contracts.

Just another example of the rich getting richer and the rest scrambling for a chair at the kiddie table.

So, the Southern Conference had to pay for airtime on Sports South?

Never again will I speak negatively about the exclusive rights deal the MEAC has with ESPNU.

xsmhx

Mountaineer
July 11th, 2011, 11:24 PM
So, the Southern Conference had to pay for airtime on Sports South?

Yes.

Any conference where a network is paying to broadcast their games, instead of the other way around, has had a leg up on the SoCon.

And now the conference has been relegated to public television. :(

citdog
July 11th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Yes.

Any conference where a network is paying to broadcast their games, instead of the other way around, has had a leg up on the SoCon.

And now the conference has been relegated to public television. :(

perhaps YOU should be negotiating deals for the Socon.

SpiritCymbal
July 11th, 2011, 11:52 PM
It's time for the 2 big football schools in the SoCon to move along and leave the spot between Barney and Sesame St. to the little guys.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How anyone see's this is as a positive is ABSOLUTELY INSANE! So the SoCon chose to add 2M "potential" viewers at the cost of 100M "potential" viewers? UNREAL!

It's beyond obvious that the SoCon is not only satisfied but actually striving to remain a small, "private" conference with little to NO ambition. There's a 0.00000000000% chance that anyone in Florida, Alabama, Tennessee or any of the other 44 States can get the games for the next 3 years. No more GSU Alumni watch parties in any state other than GA, SC, or NC unless we make the Semifinals or National Championship game. How can anyone think this is a good thing?

I guess those that live close enough to actually go to the stadiums can stay at home and tune in to watch "Mr. Rogers Neighborhood" before the game and have a nice "Sesame St." post-game party. The SoCon has agreed to have 0 games on TV for 2011 except for those that live within a days drive of the games...which kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Can't wait for the pledge drives during time outs and halftime. Do the two teams get to split up half time and each get a cut of the PBS proceeds generated by the pledge drive? If GSU scores more than 30 points, do people that pledge get a free copy of "Yanni: Live at the Acropolis"?

SpiritCymbal
July 11th, 2011, 11:56 PM
If the same game is on PBS and SS. More People are going to be watching the PBS broadcast by a 3-1 margin. Simply based on the numerical number of the channel. Its a far better avenue to raise the profile of the conference than Sportsouth.

I straight call BS! Congrats on swallowing what the SoCon press release has fed you. Make sure to wash the sand out of your ears when you finally pull your head out of the sand!

SpiritCymbal
July 11th, 2011, 11:57 PM
as someone mentioned on the uffp, and if you are a youngin' you can't relate, I can remember when a SoCon team on TV was a rarity. so I guess I will take what we can get and let the rest of you complain:p

Would you feel the same way if you knew that SportsSouth had offered the same package as PBS but the SoCon chose PBS over a matter of pennies?

SpiritCymbal
July 12th, 2011, 12:01 AM
I'd rather pick up a six pack and stream it over the puter at home than have to suffer from that sort of embarrassment. :o

Congrats on even having the option. I was just starting to get a good group of GSU alumni together for games at the end of last season out here in California. That's out the window for the this year....and next year.....and the next year....

The selfishness of people who are happy with this move just b/c they personally CHOSE not to get SportsSouth is sickening. So much for what's best for your Alma Mater as long as you're not personally inconvenienced.

OL FU
July 12th, 2011, 12:15 AM
Would you feel the same way if you knew that SportsSouth had offered the same package as PBS but the SoCon chose PBS over a matter of pennies?

Did they? Look, I understand where everyone is coming from and I am certainly not arguing with anyones point. But I don't know what the deal with Sports South was or CSS or any other network. But at the same time I ain't gonna put a bag over my head because of it

citdog
July 12th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Congrats on even having the option. I was just starting to get a good group of GSU alumni together for games at the end of last season out here in California. That's out the window for the this year....and next year.....and the next year....

The selfishness of people who are happy with this move just b/c they personally CHOSE not to get SportsSouth is sickening. So much for what's best for your Alma Mater as long as you're not personally inconvenienced.

Dude it's possible to get the games on the computer and hook that to your tv.

chattanoogamocs
July 12th, 2011, 02:35 AM
Did they? Look, I understand where everyone is coming from and I am certainly not arguing with anyones point. But I don't know what the deal with Sports South was or CSS or any other network. But at the same time I ain't gonna put a bag over my head because of it

It wasn't pennies...more like six figures (just for the football portion...not including basketball, which was part of a total package with Sport South the last 3 seasons)

OL FU
July 12th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Like I said, I don't know if it is good or bad but I just don't see it as that big of a deal. Anyone remember which network the ASU/Chat game was on last year. I think it was Sports South but I am not sure. I went to a Sports bar in Greenville to watch the game. After asking several times it took the staff there about 15 minutes to find the channel. I realize it is anecdotal, but Sports South isn't exactly a known quantity among the FBS heathens.

AppMan
July 12th, 2011, 07:36 AM

"Next on UNC-TV, Bob Ross paints a beautiful tailgating scene of Appalachian State University in the Blue Ridge Mountains #SoConFootballOnPBS"

"We talk to the Western Carolina coaching staff coming up on this episode of 'This Old Playbook'. #SoConFootballonPBS"

One problem, Bob died in 1995.

StorminASU
July 12th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Like I said, I don't know if it is good or bad but I just don't see it as that big of a deal. Anyone remember which network the ASU/Chat game was on last year. I think it was Sports South but I am not sure. I went to a Sports bar in Greenville to watch the game. After asking several times it took the staff there about 15 minutes to find the channel. I realize it is anecdotal, but Sports South isn't exactly a known quantity among the FBS heathens.

Have fun asking for it in a sports bar now...."Um yes excuse me, can you turn it to PBS, I've got a game to watch?...(several moments pass) Yes I'm sure it's PBS, snuffleupagus is there to be our sideline reporter. He always asks the hard questions."

chattownmocs
July 12th, 2011, 07:48 AM
There is no demand for Appalachian State Football, or Georgia Southern football on tv. Or any other school in this conference. There are no big football schools in this conference. If there was, we wouldnt be going to PBS, and we would have never been on SS. Several of the FBS conferences cant get a decent TV contract and Appalachian State and Georgia Southern fans think they deserve one. But its just too embarrassing to be shown on PBS. Why? You pay the bills for that network why not actually have something on there that you are interested in? The high school football championships are already shown on PBS, and I guarantee you that the GHSA state championships games on PBS got higher ratings than any FCS game last year. And thats just 1 state.

OL FU
July 12th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Have fun asking for it in a sports bar now...."Um yes excuse me, can you turn it to PBS, I've got a game to watch?...(several moments pass) Yes I'm sure it's PBS, snuffleupagus is there to be our sideline reporter. He always asks the hard questions."

HAve you guys left the conference yetxlolx

As I said I could really care less. and most people who watch are games watch our games because they are interest in our games and they will watch no matter what channel they are on.

Don't like PBS don't watch the f * * k ing gamexrolleyesx

AppMan
July 12th, 2011, 07:52 AM
For those who may be wondering, I was told during the SoCon basketball tournament that the deal with Sport South was going to be ending. Sport South wanted more than the SoCon could afford (I had heard the price was going to double...which, btw, was about 6 times more than it was 10 years ago).

Basically, Sport South was not going to give the SoCon a prime mid-Saturday spot with a significant increase in money. It basically left the SoCon with the option CSS (which is specifically Comcast/Charter and excludes wide areas of the SoCon) or....what they ended up doing.

I am not blaming the SoCon (they don't have the money...just like the schools have to play money games every year to survive)...and I am not blaming Sport South either (they can get more money for the spot, they are in the business to make money)...but it still sucks.

I pretty much figured this was the case and said so on a couple of ASU boards. As in everything, follow the money and it'll take you to the truth. The SmallCon, aka the CheapCon, figured out a way to get on TV without having to pay much for it. PBS stations are seeing budgets slashed and begging for programming. Hire a cheap mobile production crew, some local TV "talent" and you've got yourself an inexpensive game broadcast. Most conferences get paid for television rights, but the SmallCon has to pay for it or devise a plan to do it on their own. This is a joke and more than anything else a clear indication as to how unattratctive SmallCon football is in the market place. It appears I need to bring back my old saying.... We've Got to Get Out of This Place, If It's the Last Thing We Ever Do!

chattownmocs
July 12th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I pretty much figured this was the case and said so on a couple of ASU boards. As in everything, follow the money and it'll take you to the truth. The SmallCon, aka the CheapCon, figured out a way to get on TV without having to pay much for it. PBS stations are seeing budgets slashed and begging for programming. Hire a cheap mobile production crew, some local TV "talent" and you've got yourself an inexpensive game broadcast. Most conferences get paid for television rights, but the SmallCon has to pay for it or devise a plan to do it on their own. This is a joke and more than anything else a clear indication as to how unattratctive SmallCon football is in the market place. It appears I need to bring back my old saying.... We've Got to Get Out of This Place, If It's the Last Thing We Ever Do!

No matter what conference Appalachian State goes to, it will not be attractive in the market place.

AppMan
July 12th, 2011, 08:00 AM
HAve you guys left the conference yetxlolx

As I said I could really care less. and most people who watch are games watch our games because they are interest in our games and they will watch no matter what channel they are on.

Don't like PBS don't watch the f * * k ing gamexrolleyesx

Why use such fowl language? And from a graduate of a Baptist school to boot!

BTW, I see you have 19,196 posts since March of 2005. That's 256 per month, or almost 9 per day for 6+ years. Man I wish I had your free time.

asumike83
July 12th, 2011, 08:04 AM
No matter what conference Appalachian State goes to, it will not be attractive in the market place.

Conference USA just signed a 5-year deal with FOX. ESPN is questioning the deal and the 2 networks may end up sharing games, but either way their games are played on national TV. I certainly don't think ASU is anywhere near an invitation to C-USA but it's the only conference that geographically make sense.

As for this TV deal, I plan to attend every ASU game in person so I could give a ***** what channel plays them. If you can't deal with the stigma of watching a game on PBS, then don't watch it.

Gringer1
July 12th, 2011, 08:07 AM
All of the guys on twitter mocking the PBS deal are using PBS shows as subject matter. I'm not sure how you can call a channel obscure and ignored while showcasing a knowledge of its programs and style. Who cares if they show educational programming at 7am as long as the games are on? The production quality of Sesame Street is bettter than most programs I see on SportSouth anyway.

AppMan
July 12th, 2011, 08:10 AM

Are you willing to stick with that statement if we make the move to CUSA?

Apphole
July 12th, 2011, 08:17 AM
There is no demand for Appalachian State Football, or Georgia Southern football on tv. Or any other school in this conference. There are no big football schools in this conference. If there was, we wouldnt be going to PBS, and we would have never been on SS. Several of the FBS conferences cant get a decent TV contract and Appalachian State and Georgia Southern fans think they deserve one. But its just too embarrassing to be shown on PBS. Why? You pay the bills for that network why not actually have something on there that you are interested in? The high school football championships are already shown on PBS, and I guarantee you that the GHSA state championships games on PBS got higher ratings than any FCS game last year. And thats just 1 state.
The Montana-App State playoff game drew more viewers than every single bowl game sans the big 4. If we had a few more schools with fanship like App and GSU, maybe we wouldn't have had to either pay to be on tv or be on PBS. Everything you've ever posted is bull s***.

phoenixphanatic21
July 12th, 2011, 08:24 AM
If you can't deal with the stigma of watching a game on PBS, then don't watch it.

I couldn't have said it better myself. This is a unique move by the conference and they could be the first of many to do such a move if this works out. Can you really blame the conference if they are trying to save a buck?

I don't know all the details behind it (like with SportSouth and all), but I like it for the most part, though I don't like how they didn't secure channels in Tennessee or Alabama before announcing the deal. As long as I get to watch the games though, I really couldn't care less what channel they are on.

AppAlum2003
July 12th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Shouldn't the Ivy League or PFL or somebody be on PBS instead? They learn gooder than we do.

OL FU
July 12th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Why use such fowl language? And from a graduate of a Baptist school to boot!

BTW, I see you have 19,196 posts since March of 2005. That's 256 per month, or almost 9 per day for 6+ years. Man I wish I had your free time.

Not so much any more. All those posts were between years ago and most of them were telling citdog to shut upxlolx

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 12th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Can we at least try to get the GSU/App. State game on a sports station if none of the other games?

Apphole
July 12th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Can we at least try to get the GSU/App. State game on a sports station if none of the other games?

Depending on what FBS games are on then, I wouldn't be surprised to see that game get moved to Friday night on ESPN 2.

Gringer1
July 12th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Depending on what FBS games are on then, I wouldn't be surprised to see that game get moved to Friday night on ESPN 2.

I would. I don't know if they could move the date of the game with that short of notice.

Apphole
July 12th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I would. I don't know if they could move the date of the game with that short of notice.

App/Wof 2008. If we both stay in the top 5 I'd bet on it.

klak
July 12th, 2011, 09:46 AM

BYU-TCU is on ESPN that night. Nothing currently scheduled for ESPN2.

Apphole
July 12th, 2011, 09:50 AM

Excellent(Mr. Burnes voice). And what fine institution do you support, klak?

asumike83
July 12th, 2011, 09:51 AM
App/Wof 2008. If we both stay in the top 5 I'd bet on it.

I sure hope so, but I'd be very surprised. In 2008, ASU was the defending National Champion, Armanti was our QB and we still had the 'we beat Michigan last year' notoriety. Anything is possible and I would love for it to get picked up, but I don't think ASU will see an ESPN network until the playoffs.

Saint3333
July 12th, 2011, 10:21 AM
How long before ESPN drops the early round playoff games?

Apphole
July 12th, 2011, 10:52 AM
We have got to get out of here

Dinman31
July 12th, 2011, 11:16 AM
An part of the story on the PBS deal from today's Charleston Post & Courier:

(Iamarino said that in negotiations for the 2011 season, SportSouth wanted the right to dictate kickoff times with as little as 10 to 12 days notice. This is common practice in major college football, where schools such as Clemson and South Carolina release schedules with kickoff times "to be announced" at the whim of the network televising the game.

In return, those school receive major dollars in the form of television rights fees. That's not the case for the SoCon, which does not receive money for TV rights and depends mostly on ticket revenue.

"It became necessary for us to do this when SportSouth could no longer guarantee us consistent starting times on Saturdays," Iamarino said Monday. "What we were looking at was them coming to us maybe 12 days in advance and saying, 'We need to make changes.' If you are Clemson or South Carolina and you are earning those large rights fees, you can do that.

"But we don't get those large rights fees, and the gate (revenue) is much more important to our schools. They need to know if kickoff is going to be at 3 p.m. or at 7 p.m.")

klak
July 12th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Excellent(Mr. Burnes voice). And what fine institution do you support, klak?

This fine institution: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOpvlMJ6QI4&feature=channel_video_title

PaladinFan
July 12th, 2011, 03:44 PM
An part of the story on the PBS deal from today's Charleston Post & Courier:

(Iamarino said that in negotiations for the 2011 season, SportSouth wanted the right to dictate kickoff times with as little as 10 to 12 days notice. This is common practice in major college football, where schools such as Clemson and South Carolina release schedules with kickoff times "to be announced" at the whim of the network televising the game.

In return, those school receive major dollars in the form of television rights fees. That's not the case for the SoCon, which does not receive money for TV rights and depends mostly on ticket revenue.

"It became necessary for us to do this when SportSouth could no longer guarantee us consistent starting times on Saturdays," Iamarino said Monday. "What we were looking at was them coming to us maybe 12 days in advance and saying, 'We need to make changes.' If you are Clemson or South Carolina and you are earning those large rights fees, you can do that.

"But we don't get those large rights fees, and the gate (revenue) is much more important to our schools. They need to know if kickoff is going to be at 3 p.m. or at 7 p.m.")

Makes complete and utter sense.

AppMan
July 12th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Not so much any more. All those posts were between years ago and most of them were telling citdog to shut upxlolx

That pretty much clears it up!

citdog
July 12th, 2011, 05:46 PM
We have got to get out of here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReYfu5E-hOE

Apphole
July 12th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself....

chattownmocs
July 12th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Are you willing to stick with that statement if we make the move to CUSA?

Yes, is CUSA football really that attractive, they are on what? CSS, wow thats really a moneymaker. But lets say, Appalachian State makes the move to CUSA. How many of these games are actually going to feature a bottom feeder from a conference?

chattownmocs
July 12th, 2011, 05:57 PM
The Montana-App State playoff game drew more viewers than every single bowl game sans the big 4. If we had a few more schools with fanship like App and GSU, maybe we wouldn't have had to either pay to be on tv or be on PBS. Everything you've ever posted is bull s***.

Hmm was that played on an Island on ESPN on a friday night wth no football competition? There hadnt been football in 2 weeks. How do you think it would have done if it was at 3:30 on a saturday opposite the SEC Championship game?

chattownmocs
July 12th, 2011, 06:03 PM

Which makes it more unlikely that they would put that game on. It would get absolutely slaughtered by TCU-Boise. They would get better ratings with Strong Man replays.

Skjellyfetti
July 12th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Yes, is CUSA football really that attractive, they are on what? CSS, wow thats really a moneymaker.

No. They have a contract with Fox worth $7,000,000 a year.

I'm pretty sure it's the second largest non-BCS football contract.

The SoCon PAID Sportsouth to show their games. It's not clear so far whether we're paying these PBS stations to broadcast... but, I guarantee you they aren't paying us $7,000,000 a year. xlolx

So, pooh-pooh CUSA's football contract if you wish... but, it's far, far, farrrr better than the SoCon's. It makes you look like you have no clue what you're talking about.

chattownmocs
July 12th, 2011, 06:11 PM
No. They have a contract with Fox worth $7,000,000 a year.

I'm pretty sure it's the second largest non-BCS football contract.

The SoCon PAID Sportsouth to show their games. It's not clear so far whether we're paying these PBS stations to broadcast... but, I guarantee you they aren't paying us $7,000,000 a year. xlolx

7,000,000 is peanuts. Fox is just now kicking off their college football coverage which explains this deal. Its will last only until FOX can get its hands on a BCS conference. The great financial divide in college football is not between FCS and FBS. It is between BCS and non-BCS.

Skjellyfetti
July 12th, 2011, 06:14 PM
7,000,000 is peanuts. Fox is just now kicking off their college football coverage which explains this deal. Its will last only until FOX can get its hands on a BCS conference. The great financial divide in college football is not between FCS and FBS. It is between BCS and non-BCS.

$7,000,000 is peanuts? Really?

There is obviously a divide between BCS and non-BCS... no doubt about it.

But, you don't see the difference between being PAID money to be on television and PAYING money to be on television? xeyebrowx Seems like a chasm to me.

asumike83
July 12th, 2011, 06:35 PM

Do you have ANY idea what you're talking about or do you just post things? The financial divide in college football is not between FCS and FBS?

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/73f94a80473ccaf5bd05fdc110a6426c/2010_FBALL_revenue.jpg?MOD=AJPERES

Based on what you've said so far, I'm not too confident in your graph-reading abilities so allow me to explain. The revenue of the average FBS program is the red line at the top moving from just under $30M in 2004 to just under $50M in 2010. The yellow line at the bottom moving from just under to just over $10M over the same time frame is the revenue of the average FCS school.

To put this in perspective, perennial Conference USA bottom-feeder Memphis generated $33M in revenue in 2010. That is nearly 3X the average FCS program, which I wouldn't call 'peanuts'.

Questions?

GlassOnion
July 12th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Do you have ANY idea what you're talking about or do you just post things? The financial divide in college football is not between FCS and FBS?

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/73f94a80473ccaf5bd05fdc110a6426c/2010_FBALL_revenue.jpg?MOD=AJPERES

Based on what you've said so far, I'm not too confident in your graph-reading abilities so allow me to explain. The revenue of the average FBS program is the red line at the top moving from just under $30M in 2004 to just under $50M in 2010. The yellow line at the bottom moving from just under to just over $10M over the same time frame is the revenue of the average FCS school.

To put this in perspective, perennial Conference USA bottom-feeder Memphis generated $33M in revenue in 2010. That is nearly 3X the average FCS program, which I wouldn't call 'peanuts'.

Questions?

This is the guy that thinks Chattanooga should be ranked top 5, and GSU should be around 15. Do you need to know more?

chattownmocs
July 12th, 2011, 07:23 PM

Questions?

See the difference between me and you is that I understand the difference between the words mean and median. I guess that you got your numbers on memphis here.................http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college/2009/07/how-much-revenue-did-your-favorite-fbs-school-take-in-in-200708-this-chart-will-tell-you.html..............This includes basketball by the way. Memphis is a basketball school.

But let me illustrate my point. Lets say I name 9 programs who made the following

98 mil
95 mil
94 mil
92 mil
90 mil
21 mil
17 mil
15 mil
12 mil

The median here is 90 million. the mean(average) is 59...Big difference huh?

So the median is a specific program. The one right in the middle. Since there are more BCS programs than non BCS programs, the median is always going to be a BCS program.

Tell me this graph didnt sucker your entire athletic program into wanting to move up?

Questions?

Saint3333
July 12th, 2011, 07:45 PM
90 million vs. 15 million vs. paying $400 thousand. There are divides between BCS and non-BCS, but there is also a clear divide between FBS and FCS as well.

chattownmocs
July 12th, 2011, 07:51 PM
As far as TV revenue goes. Im assuming that CUSA contract is 7 million per year.

Here are the amounts the BCS conferences made this year in TV revenue

Per ESPN, by millions:

Big Ten: $242
SEC: $205
Big 12: $78
ACC: $67
Pac 10: $58
Big East: $33

Peanuts.

chattownmocs
July 12th, 2011, 07:55 PM
90 million vs. 15 million vs. paying $400 thousand. There are divides between BCS and non-BCS, but there is also a clear divide between FBS and FCS as well.

My post was in reference to total revenue, not TV contracts. You guys are trying to make some irrelevant comparisons. The divide between FBS and FCS is huge. But the divide between non BCS FBS, and the top tier of FCS, (which is where App State is right< you guys are an average FCS program are you?) is not nearly as large as the gap between BCS and non BCS.

asumike83
July 12th, 2011, 07:58 PM
See the difference between me and you is that I understand the difference between the words mean and median. I guess that you got your numbers on memphis here.................http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college/2009/07/how-much-revenue-did-your-favorite-fbs-school-take-in-in-200708-this-chart-will-tell-you.html..............This includes basketball by the way. Memphis is a basketball school.

But let me illustrate my point. Lets say I name 9 programs who made the following

98 mil
95 mil
94 mil
92 mil
90 mil
21 mil
17 mil
15 mil
12 mil

The median here is 90 million. the mean(average) is 59...Big difference huh?

So the median is a specific program. The one right in the middle. Since there are more BCS programs than non BCS programs, the median is always going to be a BCS program.

Tell me this graph didnt sucker your entire athletic program into wanting to move up?

Questions?

My sincerest apologies for only being able to find a median and not a true mean. How about other C-USA schools like ECU ($29.2M), SMU ($33M) and Houston ($30.8M). Those are all at least $10M higher than the biggest revenue in all of FCS ($18.8M) in 2010. I suppose it's all those powerhouse basketball programs bringing in the cash too? Of course there is a huge disparity between the top-level BCS programs and the non-BCS programs, but to imply that revenue would not make a massive increase with a move from the SoCon to C-USA is ridiculous.

chattownmocs
July 12th, 2011, 08:07 PM
My sincerest apologies for only being able to find a median and not a true mean. How about other C-USA schools like ECU ($29.2M), SMU ($33M) and Houston ($30.8M). Those are all at least $10M higher than the biggest revenue in all of FCS ($18.8M) in 2010. I suppose it's all those powerhouse basketball programs bringing in the cash too? Of course there is a huge disparity between the top-level BCS programs and the non-BCS programs, but to imply that revenue would not make a massive increase with a move from the SoCon to C-USA is ridiculous.

Yeah you will make more money. Lets say you make 25 million instead of 18. You dont win as many games, even if you do, you dont have a legitimate shot at winning a national title even if you win all your games.

asumike83
July 12th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Yeah you will make more money. Lets say you make 25 million instead of 18. You dont win as many games, even if you do, you dont have a legitimate shot at winning a national title even if you win all your games.

Well, that is an entirely different argument all together and one that I'm not 100% sure what my feelings are.

Financially though, I'd say a minimum 40% increase in revenue is pretty substantial. Exact figures aside, my original point was that there IS a large financial difference between FCS and FBS, even in non-BCS conferences. If the highest earner in the FCS would see an increase of at least 40% by moving into a non-BCS conference, that provides some validation to my point.

However, I was a bit of a condescending prick in my first post. Apologies.

apaladin
July 12th, 2011, 09:46 PM
On the Furman page someone quoted the Charlotte paper saying the games will not be on the regular PBS stations but their spinoff channels The South Carolina Network and Explorer which are not available on DirecTV and Dish etc and I would think not many cable systems. I don't know if they are even available over the air. If this is true then this becomes a really DUMBA** move by the SoCon.

phoenixphanatic21
July 13th, 2011, 06:17 AM
On the Furman page someone quoted the Charlotte paper saying the games will not be on the regular PBS stations but their spinoff channels The South Carolina Network and Explorer which are not available on DirecTV and Dish etc and I would think not many cable systems. I don't know if they are even available over the air. If this is true then this becomes a really DUMBA** move by the SoCon.

Good lord. Please tell me that is not true.

chattownmocs
July 13th, 2011, 07:29 AM

Im doubting this. This is not the way it is in Georgia for sure.

The Moody1
July 13th, 2011, 08:14 AM
These games are going to be relegated to a sub-channel. Get out the rabbit ears and hope for the best. xbawlingx

Saint3333
July 13th, 2011, 08:29 AM
My post was in reference to total revenue, not TV contracts. You guys are trying to make some irrelevant comparisons. The divide between FBS and FCS is huge. But the divide between non BCS FBS, and the top tier of FCS, (which is where App State is right< you guys are an average FCS program are you?) is not nearly as large as the gap between BCS and non BCS.

I've seen the numbers in ASU's feasiblity study and yes there is a gap between the revenues at the lower FBS level than where ASU is currently. This is NOT irrelevant. Sorry for believing a consulting firm who has done research over your post but that's what I plan to do.

Waco Kid
July 13th, 2011, 09:16 AM
As far as TV revenue goes. Im assuming that CUSA contract is 7 million per year.

Here are the amounts the BCS conferences made this year in TV revenue

Per ESPN, by millions:

Big Ten: $242
SEC: $205
Big 12: $78
ACC: $67
Pac 10: $58
Big East: $33

Peanuts.

If getting paid $7,000,000 is peanuts what would you call having to pay $400,000? The actual figure isn't the story here. The fact that a non BCS conference has enough interest to get paid to air their game instead of our FCS conference having to basically beg people to put our games on is the issue. Why can't you understand the difference?

No wonder UTC can't make their APR scores...

Waco Kid
July 13th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Im doubting this. This is not the way it is in Georgia for sure.

Nobody said it was the same in SC as Georgia. Do you know something one of the largest newspapers in the southeast doesn't? Have you called the South Carolina PBS network to verify this claim?

Waco Kid
July 13th, 2011, 09:22 AM
These games are going to be relegated to a sub-channel. Get out the rabbit ears and hope for the best. xbawlingx

Good thing the FCC made everyone switch to digital broadcasts...

Twentysix
July 13th, 2011, 10:27 AM
PBS in North Dakota OTA is probably the clearest HD picture ive ever seen outside of a videogame or a blu ray.

chattownmocs
July 13th, 2011, 12:35 PM
If getting paid $7,000,000 is peanuts what would you call having to pay $400,000? The actual figure isn't the story here. The fact that a non BCS conference has enough interest to get paid to air their game instead of our FCS conference having to basically beg people to put our games on is the issue. Why can't you understand the difference?

No wonder UTC can't make their APR scores...

UTC was 2nd in the conference in APR scores. Split 7,000,000 8 ways, split 400,000 9 ways. So they make less than a million per team per year, while the SOCON teams were paying less than 50,000 a piece. Big Deal. Thats not that much money. WEVE JUST GOT TO GET OUT OF HERE!!! This level is what made you.

The Moody1
July 13th, 2011, 12:52 PM
PBS in North Dakota OTA is probably the clearest HD picture ive ever seen outside of a videogame or a blu ray.

They must not simultaneously run three or four sub-channels. I started watching HD OTA brodcast back in 1999 and the quality then was great compared to today. Every station in my area broadcasts several sub-channels and that eats away the bandwidth needed for the highest quality HD.

gophoenix
July 13th, 2011, 12:54 PM
They must not simultaneously run three or four sub-channels. I started watching HD OTA brodcast back in 1999 and the quality then was great compared to today. Every station in my area broadcasts several sub-channels and that eats away the bandwidth needed for the highest quality HD.

Yes, but technically, the you can run 2 SD sub-channels without cutting into that quality.... technically.

chattownmocs
July 13th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Nobody said it was the same in SC as Georgia. Do you know something one of the largest newspapers in the southeast doesn't? Have you called the South Carolina PBS network to verify this claim?

I haven't seen any legitimate evidence that this was actually in the Charlotte paper. What reason would PBS have to put what is obviously going to be their highest piece of programming in the slot on a "sub-channel" Thats not the way television works.

Twentysix
July 13th, 2011, 01:22 PM

They do but its the same programming. they are PBS HD(ND or maybe fargo) PBS HD(MN or maybe grand forks) PBS SD and then some kind of crappy channel that just plays foreign language classes. The first 3 are all the same content.

http://www.prairiepublic.org/television/tv-schedule

PBS has lots of great shows anyways. Globe trekker is really neat, this old house is pretty good. Nova is amazing. Historical documentary's are awesome too.

I wish PBS would pickup the few bison games that arent being broadcast on any network and broadcast them on PBS ND western MN SD and Manitoba.

In fargo they broadcast 13.1 13.2 13.3 13.4.

gophoenix
July 13th, 2011, 01:47 PM

Direct, Cox and Time Warner show all the PBS subchannels except for the ones directed at schools. And all their subchannels are available over the air. At least in NC

seantaylor
July 13th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Terrible deal for all involved. Socon has become a joke.

whoanellie
July 13th, 2011, 06:28 PM
will i be able to receive games on Dish w/ local channel access?
Direct, Cox and Time Warner show all the PBS subchannels except for the ones directed at schools. And all their subchannels are available over the air. At least in NC

gophoenix
July 14th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Terrible deal for all involved. Socon has become a joke.

How is it? They are getting onto networks in NC, SC and GA they are on every satellite and cable network in the states? They are also over the air. Where before, they could get into a portion of the homes, most of which don't have Fox Sports in the standard package; now they can get into every home. That also picks up Norfolk's metro, Danville, Martinsbille, South Hill and Roanoke that get both VA and NC PBS. It also picks up the Johnson City and other TN border markets that get both TN and NC PBS.

The SoCon office has stated that AL and TN are in the works.

Overall, this gets the games into more homes and doesn't cost the conference money; and it potentially makes the conference money. I have never been able to see an Elon game short of going to a few sports bars that carried the station locally (most don't). Now I can go anywhere and watch it, or, now I can watch it at home.

Overall, how is this a bad thing?

And yes, Whoanelli, Dish, Direct, TW, Cox, and so on will all have it; and every substation of PBS as will over the air (which is a better picture anyway).

Smitty
July 14th, 2011, 07:31 AM
I don't know how legitimate this actually is but apparently Sports South signed with C-USA and bumped the SoCon down the priority list.

eaglewraith
July 14th, 2011, 07:53 AM
I don't know how legitimate this actually is but apparently Sports South signed with C-USA and bumped the SoCon down the priority list.

Signed with Fox Sports Media and apparently the deal is for 3 games every Saturday.

No way there was going to be any Socon games anyway, so it's either this or nothing except for those teams lucky enough to make the playoffs.

The Moody1
July 14th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Now I can go anywhere and watch it, or, now I can watch it at home.

Overall, how is this a bad thing?

It sounds like it is a good thing for you, but it is bad for anyone who could go to any sports bar in the United States to watch a game before. Hopefully, the broadcasts will be widescreen and not 4 X 3.

gophoenix
July 14th, 2011, 08:06 AM
It sounds like it is a good thing for you, but it is bad for anyone who could go to any sports bar in the United States to watch a game before. Hopefully, the broadcasts will be widescreen and not 4 X 3.

Ok, that's fair. But as I said. I have been all over the country, and have not been able to see the Fox SportsSouth games. It's not part of any standard sports package carried by most places on the satellite.

ElonPride
July 14th, 2011, 08:31 AM

See, that's the only good point I've seen anyone make this entire thread.

Someone posted that it would be regulated to the subchannel....you know what? Big whoop. Just a little fact about retransmission agreements with broadcast stations:

"Cable systems with more than 36 channels must carry all local noncommercial educational television stations requesting carriage with some exceptions for duplication of signals. Local television stations choosing the must-carry option and those that have negotiated agreements for retransmission with the cable system count towards this quota."

Since cable operators pay local broadcasters for carriage throw these retransmission agreements, it is hard to find a cable outlet that does not carry all the subchannels of the local stations. The mom and pop outlets, dish and satelitte are another story. BUT, this deal does land a HUGE footprint of viewership.

Another BUT, if it is delegated to a subchannel in 4X3, that will kind of suck for HD viewers (which in some southern markets, 40+% of viewers still do not have HD ready devices in their households).

I did post the following in another thread:

Good thing about that TV deal, because it will be over the air (OTA) - any savvy viewer that has taken advantage of the analog shutoff (or digital transition as some call it) have been able to program in more channels from other markets. On days with good atmospheric bounce from the "sporadic e layer," propagation of waves can travel immense distances. Meaning, at times I can tune in the PBS station in Chapel Hill OTA with a rooftop antenna in crystal clear HD, even though I live in Richmond. Just because the market penetration claimed by Nielsen leaves the deal at said DMAs in NC, SC and GA doesn't mean the signals will be viewed only in those states. Market bleed of signals from stronger transmissions will help garner a larger viewing audience than the FSS deal could have provided. Though OTA is a smaller portion of the viewing audience, all cable outlets in the areas mentioned in the deal carry the PBS stations. The same can not be said for FSS.

Not only that, but if you want a better game day experience while watching on TV? Watch it over the air. The signal will be much crisper than watching it via a cable or satellite provider. Your signal will be closer to the source view, instead of being compressed to all heck by the cable/satellite providers. Just a tip for the HD viewers

It's a win-win and GP is spot on.

hapapp
July 14th, 2011, 12:07 PM
I live less than 50 miles from the NC line but I have no access to NC PBS either thru cable or DirecTV. Not sure about Roanoke as far as cable is concerned, but I live 25 miles closer to NC and I do not have access to NC PBS stations.

This is the link for Cox Cable in Roanoke. I don't see that Cox subscribers have NC PBS access.

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/roanoke/tv/channel-lineup.cox

Few people have roof top antenna any more. As I look through my neighborhood, I don't see a single one. I think it a stretch to include people in Virginia as "in range" of the broadcasts.

ElonPride
July 14th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I live less than 50 miles from the NC line but I have no access to NC PBS either thru cable or DirecTV. Not sure about Roanoke as far as cable is concerned, but I live 25 miles closer to NC and I do not have access to NC PBS stations.

This is the link for Cox Cable in Roanoke. I don't see that Cox subscribers have NC PBS access.

Few people have roof top antenna any more. As I look through my neighborhood, I don't see a single one. I think it a stretch to include people in Virginia as "in range" of the broadcasts.

Of course they don't have North Carolina PBS access through Cox Communications in VA!

And MILLIONS of Americans still rely on OTA broadcasts for TV. It's reported that 350,000-750,000 Households dumped their paid TV service in favor of it in 4th quarter of last year alone.

In all honesty, make a homemade antenna. It takes about 10 minutes, costs about $10 and works better than any of the store sold items. People laugh when they come in my house and see mine, but when they try it out, it blows their mind! Here's a youtube link similar to the one I built. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw

If you live that close to the NC border just south of Roanoke, you will more than likely be able to pick up the G-boro signal over air with the antenna in that video. In fact, I used to work in marketing at a station in G-Boro. We would get quite a few contest winners from Virginia, as far away as South Boston (which oddly enough I think is considered in the Roanoke DMA).

In all honestly, with Netflix, the internet and OTA, I have no CLUE why people pay all that money every month for cable/satellite service.

gophoenix
July 14th, 2011, 12:56 PM

Roof top antennas are directional. IT is much easier to have an antenna in the house, in a closet or in the attic that is 4x4 in size, that is less directional than one of the roof top models. Just because you don't see doesn't mean they aren't there. Plus, many HOAs don't allow them.

As for Roanoke, NC PBS is available up there. A friend of mine has it through his cable provider.

I live 50 miles from the Virginia border, I get 4 NC PBS stations as well as VA PBS over the air.

ElonPride
July 14th, 2011, 01:13 PM
As for Roanoke, NC PBS is available up there. A friend of mine has it through his cable provider.

That seems a little odd.

The Moody1
July 14th, 2011, 02:21 PM
That seems a little odd.

NC PBS is available via satellite and cable in Greenville, SC.

dgtw
July 14th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Why wouldn't the cable companies carry the PBS network from their own state.

ElonPride
July 14th, 2011, 03:12 PM

Well, I stand corrected! It looks like you get both WUNC and WNTV on Dish but only WUNC on Direct in Greenville.

Either way, I'm still arguing this is a GOOD thing for the SoCon.

TheRevSFA
July 14th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Damn too bad we can't get that in Texas..that's some good football to watch...

OL FU
July 14th, 2011, 03:46 PM

Moody1, there are a few of us that get together in Gville occasionally. FU fans, WC fans WCU fans, and ASU fans. PM if you are interested and I will make sure you are invited to the next gathering.

SpiritCymbal
July 14th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Ok, that's fair. But as I said. I have been all over the country, and have not been able to see the Fox SportsSouth games. It's not part of any standard sports package carried by most places on the satellite.

I have SportSouth on my cable plan at home and I've got 3 different bars within walking distance of my house in Newport Beach, California that got every single GSU game game that was on FSS, SS or CSS...

All of that is out the window....

ElonPride
July 14th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I have SportSouth on my cable plan at home and I've got 3 different bars within walking distance of my house in Newport Beach, California that got every single GSU game game that was on FSS, SS or CSS...

All of that is out the window....

Not necessarily, don't the individual schools retain the digital rights to online in this deal?

hapapp
July 14th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Of course they don't have North Carolina PBS access through Cox Communications in VA!

I was responding to someone who said they did. I checked the published listing for Cox in Roanoke and I don't see it listed anywhere.

I may well turn out to be a good move for the SoCon. My guess is that the SoCon was forced in this direction, suggesting that this wasn't their first choice. When SS upped the ante the conference looked elsewhere. Again, viewership may rise...a good thing. I think all of us (regardless of our view on this matter) should reserve judgment until we actually see the product.

I will say this, I would prefer watching the game via satellite than having to rig up some make shift antenna. If this works out better for the conference then sacrificing viewers like me would be worth it. I can at least watch CAA football each week.

SpiritCymbal
July 14th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Not necessarily, don't the individual schools retain the digital rights to online in this deal?

Yeah...that's goign to be real helpful at the bars!

ElonPride
July 14th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Yeah...that's goign to be real helpful at the bars!

Well, hook an HDMI cable from your PC to TV and drink/eat at home! Save money!

or

Take your computer to a bar with WIFI!

ElonPride
July 14th, 2011, 08:39 PM
I will say this, I would prefer watching the game via satellite than having to rig up some make shift antenna. If this works out better for the conference then sacrificing viewers like me would be worth it. I can at least watch CAA football each week.

I'm telling you, if these games come through in HD through PBS, watch it OTA! You'll see a noticeable difference in quality compared to the cable/satellite providers! It's a better game watching experience over air!

SpiritCymbal
July 14th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Well, hook an HDMI cable from your PC to TV and drink/eat at home! Save money!

or

Take your computer to a bar with WIFI!

And have the people that use to gather for GSU watch parties crowded around my laptop?

I don't expect you to understand. There's never been an Elon watch party outside of Rhodes Stadium. Hard to organize something like that when all of your fans live within a 10 mile radius.

citdog
July 14th, 2011, 08:59 PM
And have the people that use to gather for GSU watch parties crowded around my laptop?

I don't expect you to understand. There's never been an Elon watch party outside of Rhodes Stadium. Hard to organize something like that when all of your fans live within a 10 mile radius.

eagle watch party

http://www.speechlessthemagazine.org/Fascination-Obsession_Issue/Webb_hillbilly.jpg

SpiritCymbal
July 14th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Citadel watch party....

http://www.proof7.com/p7nyc/images/Casey%27s%20Empty%20Bar-thumb.jpg

citdog
July 14th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Citadel watch party....

http://www.proof7.com/p7nyc/images/Casey%27s%20Empty%20Bar-thumb.jpg

take place all over the WORLD

http://citadelalumni.org/ratw/upload/4bbedd776ecd4897944cb32475e19727.jpg

apaladin
July 14th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Someone in the SoCon office said the reason for going to PBS was that Sportsouth wanted to be able to name the kickoff time 10-12 days in advance so they started looking elsewhere. To me one or two home games at most would be affected for each school. For those of you like me that never miss a home game is this such a big deal?? To me it is not. I am not happy with the current SoCon regime. Besides this fiasco they have also done away with conference rousers because of the economy. Iterpreted: Don't won't to take the time to fool with it. Then they move the conference basketball tournament to a 50 year old, out of date, undersized facility because it was good there before, yes 30 years ago when there were 4 less teams. Now this fiasco. I just get the feeling this regime doesn't really care about the SoCon or it's future. It's just a job to them and they are going to do as little as possible to get by.

seantaylor
July 15th, 2011, 12:19 AM
http://tof.canardpc.com/view/c87b6271-3f54-4768-8b47-2c6eac79c6ab.jpg

El Chit watch party

PaladinFan
July 15th, 2011, 07:43 AM
I guess an added benefit is that the commentators will change. I've never been impressed with any of the commentators on the SportsSouth games. Wyche is bad, and that former GSU player is infinetly worse. Maybe PBS will bring a decent play by play or color guy. Someone with a journalism background or something.

ElonPride
July 15th, 2011, 08:13 AM

Then go for the first option and save money by having a watch party with your folks at the house! It just goes to show you can't please everyone, especially those so in fear of change.

And wow, I didn't know Richmond and DC were withing 10 miles of Rhodes stadium. Two of the bigger alumni chapters that organize viewings for televised events.

WUTNDITWAA
July 15th, 2011, 08:27 AM

Ten miles? Burlington may look a lot like New Jersey, with the interstate, outlet malls and all, but it isn't. I wonder if Elon offers a freshman course on pumping your own gas?

ElonPride
July 15th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Ten miles? Burlington may look a lot like New Jersey, with the interstate, outlet malls and all, but it isn't. I wonder if Elon offers a freshman course on pumping your own gas?

Funny, I actually saw a bumper sticker yesterday that said "Jersey girls don't pump gas."

gophoenix
July 15th, 2011, 10:34 AM

There's Elon watch parties all up and down the eastern seaboard. It's funny hearing a public school grad talk about the private school's fans all being within 10 miles of campus. The private schools have their alumni spread in a larger area and concentrated more out of state than any of the public schools ever will be. App's #1, #2 and #3 graduate areas are withing 3 hours of campus. GSU's are all within the same state as well. Your admissions off shows this with their alumni maps.

Try again....

SpiritCymbal
July 15th, 2011, 01:10 PM
There's Elon watch parties all up and down the eastern seaboard.

Doubtful...And if there were any, there aren't anymore.

SpiritCymbal
July 15th, 2011, 01:14 PM
It just goes to show you can't please everyone, especially those so in fear of change.

You mean the one's that don't have their heads burried in the sand?

Who said anythign about saving money? I want to get more money for Ga. Southern. Have watch parties to increase the passion for those that don't live in the area. Get some Boosters out of it. Again, I realize that's a foreign concept to the Eloan fans.

Stay proud with your 8,000 average attendance.

citdog
July 15th, 2011, 01:40 PM

don't the rest of y'all know that ONLY pig's ***, ga people count and that the conference should have called this band queer from california to approve the television deal? you're all just a bunch of RUBES. the gsu band......"we all blow or beat on something"

gophoenix
July 15th, 2011, 02:16 PM

You can doubt, but there were, there are and there will be. Sorry things don't work that way for your little county in Georgia.

gophoenix
July 15th, 2011, 02:17 PM

Who said anythign about saving money? I want to get more money for Ga. Southern. Have watch parties to increase the passion for those that don't live in the area. Get some Boosters out of it. Again, I realize that's a foreign concept to the Eloan fans.

Woohoo, there you go. How opposing opinions turn into smack..... go **** yourself.

SpiritCymbal
July 15th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Woohoo, there you go. How opposing opinions turn into smack..... go **** yourself.

I expect more from a Fighting Christian like yourself! You sure showed me!

SpiritCymbal
July 15th, 2011, 04:36 PM
don't the rest of y'all know that ONLY pig's ***, ga people count and that the conference should have called this band queer from california to approve the television deal? you're all just a bunch of RUBES. the gsu band......"we all blow or beat on something"

About time y'all started recognizing. Don't be jealous just b/c our band can beat your football team on the field. It's noble work you're doing there in Charleston.

ElonPride
July 15th, 2011, 04:46 PM

Hmmm.....head in the sand? I guess when you pose quite a few alternatives of viewing to someone that's so opposed to anything but the same ole same ole, it constitutes living as an ostrich.

But I guess being a licensed FCC technician and highly knowledgeable on viewing audiences, dynamics, demographics, psychographics, atmospherics and overall viewing experiences keeps my head buried pretty deep. By the way, have I ever mentioned that I have an Emmy and quite a few international awards sitting on my mantle at home? Yeah, I guess I am clueless about TV, broadcasting much less anything about media.

This deal needs to be seen as more than a simple thumbs up.

chattownmocs
July 15th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Hmmm.....head in the sand? I guess when you pose quite a few alternatives of viewing to someone that's so opposed to anything but the same ole same ole, it constitutes living as an ostrich.

But I guess being a licensed FCC technician and highly knowledgeable on viewing audiences, dynamics, demographics, psychographics, atmospherics and overall viewing experiences keeps my head buried pretty deep. By the way, have I ever mentioned that I have an Emmy and quite a few international awards sitting on my mantle at home? Yeah, I guess I am clueless about TV, broadcasting much less anything about media.

This deal needs to be seen as more than a simple thumbs up.

I don't know about everything you are saying but they will insist that SS was better for the conference no matter what you say.

Mountaineer
July 15th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Certainly being able to catch the SoCon on TV in three states with the new deal trumps the national coverage that came with appearing on SportSouth. xsmileyclapx

chattownmocs
July 15th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Certainly being able to catch the SoCon on TV in three states with the new deal trumps the national coverage that came with appearing on SportSouth. xsmileyclapx

Do you really think Sportsouth was national. The name of the station says it all man. Get a grip.

ElonPride
July 15th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I don't know about everything you are saying but they will insist that SS was better for the conference no matter what you say.

Look, I understand that some states represented in the conference are CURRENTLY left out of the broadcast deal, and that does suck. But these things are subject to change and rapidly evolve. The schools being able to keep the online rights was a pretty good deal. Though some may not be able to watch on TV at their local watering hole, there are many options that will more than likely be available for viewing......and heck with this economy.....could save you money. And hey, there is always a silver lining, it's just sometimes not where it's always been.

chattownmocs
July 15th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Chattanooga has GPB on a basic comcast package. So basically I guess Samford's viewing area is missing. There isnt alot of demand nationally for SOCON football, including Georgia Southern and App State. Not that SportSouth was national.

Mountaineer
July 15th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Do you really think Sportsouth was national. The name of the station says it all man. Get a grip.

Yeah, there were folks on the west coast able to get the games with DirecTV. Seems pretty national to me.

Look, I realize you're role around here is to troll, but even the successful trolls aren't this stupid all the time.

SpiritCymbal
July 15th, 2011, 05:06 PM
...they will insist that SS was better for the conference no matter what you say.

Duh! That's like saying Georgia Southern has more National Championships thatn Chattanooga. That's because it is better. hahaha...

Glad you guys are starting to come around. Took a while. I was getting worried about the educational system up there at Chatty for a little.

SpiritCymbal

I get it here on cable in California. Who's the jackass now?

chattownmocs
Yeah, there were folks on the west coast able to get the games with DirecTV. Seems pretty national to me.

Look, I realize you're role around here is to troll, but even the successful trolls aren't this stupid all the time.

You understand that someone being able to get a game on DirecTV with some extravagant package doesnt make it national tv right? BTW, how many people in the state of California do you think were watching the SOCON game of the week on SS via DirecTV? Hundreds? Tens?

chattownmocs
July 15th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I got it here on basic cable in California. Is that not national?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SportSouth

READ THE FIRST LINE!!!

chattownmocs
July 15th, 2011, 05:10 PM
SportSouth is blacked out in areas not covered by the ZIP codes in the regional coverage area. For example, viewers of DirecTV's "Sports Pack" in other parts of the United States will not receive the channel
SportSouth plans to air only programs of interest to the region.....Sportsouth also has acquired the rights to University of Tennessee sporting events as of August 28, 2007
Fox Sports South also covers a somewhat wider broadcast area

Seems pretty regional to me.

ElonPride
July 15th, 2011, 05:23 PM
With the PBS deal, the possibility to hit the highest percentage of viewing households in the basic footprint of the conference is much, much higher. Cable/Satellite or OTA, it's pretty much carried. The penetration of households for SS is much lower.

You're nearly guaranteed with the ability to hit a good majority of that number claimed in the wiki link (8.9 million subscribers) in a single state! Three markets in NC alone have nearly a combined 3 million viewing households....and they're basically within three hours of each other. You darn near have the ability to hit 100% of these viewers with a SoCon football game. Not so with SS.

chattownmocs
July 15th, 2011, 05:30 PM
With the PBS deal, the possibility to hit the highest percentage of viewing households in the basic footprint of the conference is much, much higher. Cable/Satellite or OTA, it's pretty much carried. The penetration of households for SS is much lower.

You're nearly guaranteed with the ability to hit a good majority of that number claimed in the wiki link (8.9 million subscribers) in a single state! Three markets in NC alone have nearly a combined 3 million viewing households.

I tried to explain this to them. Just based on the low numerical value of the channel PBS is on, and its proximity to the biggest college football games of the day on national networks. More viewers will be reached on accident than those who purposely tuned in to SS.

hapapp
July 15th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Unless a game is appearing on another pay for view channel or a specific package, games from the regional networks are available. With Direct TV I am able to watch games on other "regional" networks. I can't watch professional sports on those regional networks because they are controlled by the MLB, or MLS packages for example. So while SS is regional, that doesn't mean Californians with the Sports Pack can't view SoCon football on SS.

ElonPride
July 15th, 2011, 05:48 PM
I tried to explain this to them. Just based on the low numerical value of the channel PBS is on, and its proximity to the biggest college football games of the day on national networks. More viewers will be reached on accident than those who purposely tuned in to SS.

See the thing is, I can see it both ways here. You can have the game pseudo nationally in places with very little interest or you can have it HIGHLY concentrated in the conference area with local teams getting better interest. With SS, you're already cutting out around 12% of the viewing audience in your own region strictly because of OTA viewing.

And you are correct sir, theoretically speaking, channel position has a great deal to do with viewing habits and sampling.

dgtw
July 15th, 2011, 05:56 PM

Nobody is going to purposely turn on PBS unless they know and recall a SoCon game can be seen there. People are much more likely to tune in to SportsSouth just to see what's on because it is a sports channel.

chattownmocs
July 15th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Nobody is going to purposely turn on PBS unless they know and recall a SoCon game can be seen there. People are much more likely to tune in to SportsSouth just to see what's on because it is a sports channel.

Accidentally is the key word. If you are watching The ACC gae of the week and the SEC game of the week. And pbs is right in the middle. Maybe you flip to it on accident. Youd be surprised at the rate this happens. SS is known for "classic college football" at best. And that is IF you know the netowrk at best.

cmaxwellgsu
July 15th, 2011, 11:57 PM

I've watched many FCS games on different regional networks thanks to DirecTV handing them out like candy. I'm pretty sure Atlanta didn't somehow gravitate to the midwest when I watched a UNI game last year, or that I somehow entered a warp zone when I watched Delaware-UMass on some Yankee regional network. I can't believe somebody thinks something isn't national when you can view it on your basic package nationwide.

LeadBolt
July 16th, 2011, 05:10 AM
A guy goes into a bar and asks the bartender if he gets PBS...

ElonPride
July 16th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I can't believe somebody thinks something isn't national when you can view it on your basic package nationwide.

Well, since TV and radio broadcasts have the ability to travel outside the earth's atmosphere, let's just call the new deal the basic interstellar package.

chattownmocs
July 16th, 2011, 10:18 AM
I've watched many FCS games on different regional networks thanks to DirecTV handing them out like candy. I'm pretty sure Atlanta didn't somehow gravitate to the midwest when I watched a UNI game last year, or that I somehow entered a warp zone when I watched Delaware-UMass on some Yankee regional network. I can't believe somebody thinks something isn't national when you can view it on your basic package nationwide.

I can't believe someone actually thinks SportsSouth is national tv. Just because you order MLB Game pass, doesnt make the local rays broadcast national TV.

GA St. MBB Fan
July 16th, 2011, 04:31 PM
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I came across this article on the topic that I thought made sense: http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2011/jul/12/12_socontvdeal/

In particular, this section:

Iamarino said that in negotiations for the 2011 season, SportSouth wanted the right to dictate kickoff times with as little as 10 to 12 days notice. This is common practice in major college football, where schools such as Clemson and South Carolina release schedules with kickoff times "to be announced" at the whim of the network televising the game.

"But we don't get those large rights fees, and the gate (revenue) is much more important to our schools. They need to know if kickoff is going to be at 3 p.m. or at 7 p.m."

Seems like SportsSouth backed them up against a wall. And if so, the deal with PBS makes sense, if it was all the SoCon could muster up.

OL FU
July 16th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Admittedly there are people who will take the position that the SoCon leaders are idiots so it doesn't matter (and that is fine), but if you don't take that position one has to think there was a darn good reason to do this even if their preference would have been sports south.

citdog
July 16th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Admittedly there are people who will take the position that the SoCon leaders are idiots so it doesn't matter (and that is fine), but if you don't take that position one has to think there was a darn good reason to do this even if their preference would have been sports south.

It is quite telling that the worst critics of this deal are the same voices who CONSTANTLY agitate for their school to 'move up'. They think that they should be over on ABC or CBS I guess.

The Moody1
July 16th, 2011, 05:20 PM
You understand that someone being able to get a game on DirecTV with some extravagant package doesnt make it national tv right? BTW, how many people in the state of California do you think were watching the SOCON game of the week on SS via DirecTV? Hundreds? Tens?

Is $11.00 per month extravagant in Chatty?

chattownmocs
July 16th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Is $11.00 per month extravagant in Chatty?

1 cent extra disqualifies it from being national. Not that there is any debate that it is. It unequivocally was not national TV. It didn't even cover the entire southeast.

citdog
July 16th, 2011, 05:50 PM
We just want to be on non-public television jackass. What do you mean it's quite telling? Because we're the only ones with any shred of pride? No amount of tangible advantages can make up for the principle here.

We just want to be on television PERIOD. That almost didn't happen. Pride come before the fall apphole.....remember that when that fbs invite isn't forthcoming. I cannot figure out why the SEC hasn't taken notice of y'all yet.xrolleyesx

SoCon48
July 17th, 2011, 01:24 PM

Wow

SpiritCymbal
July 18th, 2011, 01:36 AM
Seems like SportsSouth backed them up against a wall. And if so, the deal with PBS makes sense, if it was all the SoCon could muster up.

Agreed. Game time fluctuating between 3pm and 7pm is a PERFECTLY good reason to pull SoCon games from the other 47 states in the country! Well done Socon! [/sarcasm]

Twentysix
July 18th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Agreed. Game time fluctuating between 3pm and 7pm is a PERFECTLY good reason to pull SoCon games from the other 47 states in the country! Well done Socon! [/sarcasm]

Wait, this short list is the Socon affiliate teams only tv games? You don't play on your states nbc?

citdog
July 18th, 2011, 03:18 AM

http://ryanplesko.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/douchebag.jpg

Saint3333
July 18th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Actually he has a point. I don't have the costs of the proposed SportSouth deal (which was likely the biggest driver), but alternativing 3 and 7PM game times is one of the reasons the decision was made to switch. TV night games are fun.

GaSouthern
July 18th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Actually he has a point. I don't have the costs of the proposed SportSouth deal (which was likely the biggest driver), but alternativing 3 and 7PM game times is one of the reasons the decision was made to switch. TV night games are fun.

I fully agree, the 05 Furman TV game was the most fun I've ever had in Paulson stadium... until 2010 App St. but that was a day game

chattownmocs
July 18th, 2011, 07:49 AM

was it on ESPN or SS?

ElonPride
July 18th, 2011, 08:11 AM
was it on ESPN or SS?

Again, just shake your head and move on. To have the highest possible penetration of viewing households in the footprint of the conference just makes too much sense for some to understand.

PaladinFan
July 18th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Wait, this short list is the Socon affiliate teams only tv games? You don't play on your states nbc?

No.

I'm out of my element talking about TV rights, etc., but the South has an absolute ton of football teams that compete for airtime. At the end of the day, most folks will watch Auburn beat UL-Lafayette by 45 before watching a tight game between App State and Georgia Southern.

Saint3333
July 18th, 2011, 09:15 AM
EP the footprint of the conference includes TN and AL, which is currently not included. You can claim they are working on this, but to me it was a slap in the face to UTC and Samford, and until they add those states it will continue to be. Your tone may have been different if Elon were one of the two teams on the outside looking in. I can't speak for everyone, but ASU gets quite a few recruits from VA and FL as well, this is not a good deal from that perspective either. Then there is the overall perception of PBS (which is important in recruiting). Talk to your coaches and see if they see this as a positive.

What don't I understand about this issue? There are negatives and positives no doubt, but you seem to think this is a slam dunk great move by the SoCon, which it is not.

ElonPride
July 18th, 2011, 10:07 AM
EP the footprint of the conference includes TN and AL, which is currently not included. You can claim they are working on this, but to me it was a slap in the face to UTC and Samford, and until they add those states it will continue to be. Your tone may have been different if Elon were one of the two teams on the outside looking in. I can't speak for everyone, but ASU gets quite a few recruits from VA and FL as well, this is not a good deal from that perspective either. Then there is the overall perception of PBS (which is important in recruiting). Talk to your coaches and see if they see this as a positive.

What don't I understand about this issue? There are negatives and positives no doubt, but you seem to think this is a slam dunk great move by the SoCon, which it is not.

Actually, I am on the outside looking in on this deal. Currently, I'm only able to pick up any UNC-TV on days with good atmospherics. Though many in Southern/Central Virginia will have adequate means to catch the games on TV. I was STILL on the outside looking in with the Sportssouth deal.

It is a pretty smooth deal. Again, you'll be hitting more than one third of the pseudo "national SS subscribers" in three North Carolina markets alone.

So tell me, what is the "overall perception" of PBS? Elmo, Big Bird or critically acclaimed television outside of all the crime drama programming on the other broadcast networks?

chattownmocs
July 18th, 2011, 10:28 AM

Chattanooga is included. The rest of Tennessee cares about as much as the rest of the country.

cmaxwellgsu
July 18th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Bottom line is that it's just another small time move by the SmallCon. Rather than stay on a network that anyone in the country can see on a basic satellite package, the SmallCon shrinks our coverage down to a very local level. Ironic how much the small folks in the conference like it...

chattownmocs
July 18th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Bottom line is that it's just another small time move by the SmallCon. Rather than stay on a network that anyone in the country can see on a basic satellite package, the SmallCon shrinks our coverage down to a very local level. Ironic how much the small folks in the conference like it...

They'd rather have a 100,000 people watch in Georgia than 20 100 in California. Duh. Its amazing that people think that a game being carried on a sattelite package in California is important to this conference.

ElonPride
July 18th, 2011, 10:36 AM

Again, you're cutting out a sizeable percentage of the viewing audience with that "basic satellite package!"

They shrink it down to a local level, but are able to hit MORE, I'll say it again, MORE sets!!!! Not only that, MORE people can pick it up for FREE.

Saint3333
July 18th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Go to any high school recruit and ask them would they rather play on a regional sports channel (that is also on Direct TV nationally) or PBS. High school kids don't understand what I know about television and certainly not what you know about it. But they are the ones making the decision to play college football and it sounds a lot "cooler" (if HS kids still say that) to say I'll be on SportSouth this Saturday at 3 or 7PM than to say I'll be on PBS.

There will be a stigma with playing on PBS.

Again this was not done with ALL SoCon members' best interests in mind either, UTC and Samford I feel sorry for them.

I get it, it's about money, this deal was cheaper. It's that simple.

OL FU
July 18th, 2011, 10:39 AM

At our level the bottom line is money and apparently scheduling. Getting national coverage may boost some egos and possible create a small amount of interest from remote recruits, but that it it.

OL FU
July 18th, 2011, 10:39 AM

Bingo!

ElonPride
July 18th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Go to any high school recruit and ask them would they rather play on a regional sports channel (that is also on Direct TV nationally) or PBS. High school kids don't understand what I know about television and certainly not what you know about it. But they are the ones making the decision to play college football and it sounds a lot "cooler" (if HS kids still say that) to say I'll be on SportSouth this Saturday at 3 or 7PM than to say I'll be on PBS.

There will be a stigma with playing on PBS.

Again this was not done with ALL SoCon members' best interests in mind either, UTC and Samford I feel sorry for them.

Ironic that the majority of the people complaining about the public TV deal come from public schools.

And you hit the nail on the head that's it's all about money for the conference. But it's also all about money for the viewer and will increasingly become so. You know how many hundreds of thousands dumped their paid service in favor of free TV in 4th quarter alone last year? It's a growing trend and especially a growing trend with the audience below thirty. FREE TV and simply pay for the internet. Hmm....what a novel idea. Folks in Southern VA, NC, East Tenn, SC and Georgia being able to watch their SoCon school without having to buy a sports package, switch providers, go to a bar because their provider doesn't carry it or simply get TV OTA (which is a larger percentage than you think).

Saint3333
July 18th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Public schools = public TV? There is no irony there as there would not be a correlation. BTW Samford and Furman fans aren't excited about it, go read their boards.

TV will be completely web based down the line - this is no secret to anyone.

Another correction, there is no revenue from either TV deal, only cash outflow, this appears to be the cheaper deal.

ElonPride
July 18th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Public schools = public TV? There is no irony there as there would not be a correlation. BTW Samford and Furman fans aren't excited about it, go read their boards.

TV will be completely web based down the line - this is no secret to anyone.

Another correction, there is no revenue from either TV deal, only cash outflow, this appears to be the cheaper deal.

I didn't say it would be revenue based and I haven't seen any Furman fans here complaining too much. Oh well, you can't please everyone even with solid numbers directly in front of them.xrolleyesx

Also, there is a direct correlation between public TV and the UNC school system (public school) which App is a part of.

49RFootballNow
July 18th, 2011, 11:32 AM
"Can you show me how to get............how to get to SoCon TV?"

At least your games still are being broadcast. I can see the negative sides to this but its still better than not being on TV which from what I've seen here was basically what Sports South planned to do to you, now that they have the low end CUSA package.

Saint3333
July 18th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Not between users of public school and public tv. I'd wager that a higher percentage of private schoolers watch PBS than public schoolers. Now that is ironic.

The difference in value between public and private school isn't justified by most, but the difference in TV is (or perhaps the incremental difference is just less).

As for Furman fans, there aren't but two of them on AGS and only one Samford fan, that's why I said go read their boards.

Perception trumps "facts" when it comes to recruiting 18 year olds, I think we can both agree on that.

ElonPride
July 18th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Not between users of public school and public tv. I'd wager that a higher percentage of private schoolers watch PBS than public schoolers. Now that is ironic.

The difference in value between public and private school isn't justified by most, but the difference in TV is (or perhaps the incremental difference is just less).

As for Furman fans, there aren't but two of them on AGS and only one Samford fan, that's why I said go read their boards.

Perception trumps "facts" when it comes to recruiting 18 year olds, I think we can both agree on that.

Backing tracking a little there bud? You said there is no correlation.

I just scanned through the Furman board, looks as if the majority aren't complaining.

Saint3333
July 18th, 2011, 11:46 AM
The word "public" in the two items is your basis for correlation... If you'd like to claim that is back tracking congrats you got me.

PaladinFan
July 18th, 2011, 11:54 AM

There are plenty of us. OL FU and I just have more to say.

Frankly, this whole PBS deal isn't a big thing for most Furman fans. The SoCon has generally put together a pretty good product. If they had reasons for making a change, I trust that they did it with the Conference's best interest in mind.

App fans are using this as yet another podium for complaining about the FCS. It's starting to wear thin on just about everybody.

ElonPride
July 18th, 2011, 11:59 AM
App fans are using this as yet another podium for complaining about the FCS. It's starting to wear thin on just about everybody.

xnodx

Glad someone said it that plainly.

Mntneer
July 18th, 2011, 12:04 PM

Don't lump us all together. I'm not thrilled with this TV deal either, though at least now I can watch games from home. But it seems like the conference didn't have much choice but to go elsewhere. And regardless of my own feelings on moving to FBS, I agree the SoCon/FCS bashing is getting old.

chattownmocs
July 18th, 2011, 12:13 PM

There is no perception. 18 year olds didnt know that the SOCON was on SS and now they still dont know it is on PBS. All they know is that they didnt get a d-1 offer, now whats their next best option.

Apps03
July 18th, 2011, 12:32 PM
xnodx

Glad someone said it that plainly.

SOME!

Just like others, I see positives and negatives with this. At the end of the day however, I'll be in my usual spot in KBS at 3pm every home game and I'll be with the Mountaineers as they travel to Charleston, Greenville, Spartanburg, Blacksburg, and Burlington. Ultimately we're talking about trading 2 games from SS for 2 games on PBS. While its not my ideal situation, I'm surprised at the amount of passionate discussion this has generated on all sites.

Saint3333
July 18th, 2011, 01:12 PM
There is no perception. 18 year olds didnt know that the SOCON was on SS and now they still dont know it is on PBS. All they know is that they didnt get a d-1 offer, now whats their next best option.

Go troll the UT-k boards...

Don't bother responding to me you're on ignore.

Saint3333
July 18th, 2011, 01:16 PM

The list of negatives is getting longer no doubt about it. Funny that fans on every SoCon message board 9except Elon), including the UFFP, are complaining about this deal, but ASU fans are being targeted for "complaining". It just seems like we're complaining more because there are more of us.

OL FU
July 18th, 2011, 01:28 PM
The list of negatives is getting longer no doubt about it. Funny that fans on every SoCon message board 9except Elon), including the UFFP, are complaining about this deal, but ASU fans are being targeted for "complaining". It just seems like we're complaining more because there are more of us.

Here is my take. Would I prefer to be on Sports South. Certainly. Does it bother me that it will be on PBS. No.

I am hopeful that the get the areas covered that apparently aren't by this deal. But as I said before, it is a matter of dollars and cents (like most things). There could be other factors, timing of negotiation didn't give them time.

Saint3333
July 18th, 2011, 01:48 PM
timing of negotiation didn't give them time.

Reactive vs. Proactive leadership is what the SoCon provides. Completely agree with the biggest driver of the deal (cost), but the lack of planning on the SoCon's part is frustrating. Par for the course tough.

SpiritCymbal
July 18th, 2011, 02:10 PM
They'd rather have a 100,000 people watch in Georgia than 20 100 in California.

They already had both...all they did was cut out the other 47 states now. Not sure why you can't get that through your head.

cmaxwellgsu
July 18th, 2011, 02:20 PM

You are without a doubt this board's biggest dumbass. So I won't waste the time it would take explaining D1 to you.

OL FU
July 18th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Reactive vs. Proactive leadership is what the SoCon provides. Completely agree with the biggest driver of the deal (cost), but the lack of planning on the SoCon's part is frustrating. Par for the course tough.

and my comment was an assumption. I have no idea what or who drives the negotiation. It may have come out of the blue from Sportsouth and may have the SoCon in a scramble. Without specific knowledge we can guess all day whose fault it was.

ElonPride
July 18th, 2011, 02:25 PM

xrolleyesx

citdog
July 18th, 2011, 02:40 PM
They already had both...all they did was cut out the other 47 states now. Not sure why you can't get that through your head.

not sure why you can't understand why being in EVERY home in three States trumps your gathering of the eaglets in that cesspool known as california.

http://www.webtvwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Beverly-Hillbillies-portrait2.jpg

ElonPride
July 18th, 2011, 02:58 PM
not sure why you can't understand why being in EVERY home in three States trumps your gathering of the eaglets in that cesspool known as california.

North Carolina - 12 stations broadcasting to all 100 counties
Georgia - 9 stations broadcasting to all 159 counties
South Carolina - 11 stations broadcasting to all 46 counties

Just based on signal propagation - E. Tenn in the mix (though they'll already be able to pick up the games), S. VA in the mix, E. Alabama in the mix, N. Florida in the mix......but as GP mentioned, apparently places like Roanoke will already be covered.

But having the ability to reach nearly 100% of total viewing households in the current states included in the deal is too little. xrolleyesx