PDA

View Full Version : Montana could suffer in 2008.

Ronbo
March 15th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Our program had an extremely good and large recruiting class in 2003. Many of these young men have stepped into starting roles over the last two years and will be Juniors this year. We will be a veteran team this year and in 2007 we'll have 16 Offensive and Defensive starters back. Problem is that in 2007 we'll have 14-15 senior starters from that 2003 class.

Anyone have experience with this kind of senior loss from their teams? How did your team fare during the next year? I am a little worried about that kind of hit to our starting lineup. I know it's a little early to worry about 2008, but it just punches you in the face when you look at our depth chart and you see so many Juniors as starters.

Montana does have a good reputation for reloading, but this will be a major challenge. I'm also worried that if our veteran 2006 and 2007 teams are successful we'll be breaking in a new coaching staff in 2008 also. :( :eek: These I-A's come in and offer the Head Coach $750,000 a year and boom, you've got a new staff running things.

AppGuy04
March 15th, 2006, 11:47 AM
I wouldn't worry just yet, alot can change in 2 years. Plus, the number of transfers from I-A programs has become more common. I'd be more worried if that coincided with a coaching change, but right now, I'd just be hesitant

March 15th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Ask McNeese State, they appear to be recovering from that sort of thing...

carney2
March 15th, 2006, 11:51 AM
You might want to follow the 2006 fortunes of Texas State and Lafayette. The former graduates 28 from the 2005 squad, while the latter graduates 27.

UNH 40
March 15th, 2006, 12:15 PM
This kind of thing happens when you have the great success that a program like Montana has had over the past few years. But Montana has less to worry about than most teams in there situation would. With the facilities, game day atmosphere, and beautiful campus they have, great recruiting classes and I-A transfers will continue to flock to Mizzoula.

GrizFoo
March 15th, 2006, 02:36 PM
That is too far ahead to make any kind of prediction. Of those 14-15 seniors how many will even stay on the team, of those how many will contibute, and of those how many will be starters. Young guys can come in and beat out upper classmen, and it happens all the time.
Sure Montana could suffer in 2008, but could also suffer or flourish in any year given the right variables. Personally, I doubt most of the current staff will be with the Griz after this year regardless of the outcome of the season. And who knows, new coaches, head or otherwise could be great or horrible, same goes for the recruits of this and the past two years.
I wouldn't worry much about it Ronbo, because it is out of our hands, and impossible to tell.

CoastalFan2005
March 15th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Don't feel bad...I believe CCU has more than 30 seniors scheduled to go after this coming season. :eek:

SochorField
March 15th, 2006, 03:12 PM
UC Davis is rumored to have a home and home with Montana starting in '08 when the Aggies are finished with their transition to I-AA.

UC Davis becoming fully funded and in a new stadium could pose problems for Montana's Bay Area/California recruiting. Perhaps.......

Kill'em
March 15th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Our program had an extremely good and large recruiting class in 2003. Many of these young men have stepped into starting roles over the last two years and will be Juniors this year. We will be a veteran team this year and in 2007 we'll have 16 Offensive and Defensive starters back. Problem is that in 2007 we'll have 14-15 senior starters from that 2003 class.

Anyone have experience with this kind of senior loss from their teams? How did your team fare during the next year? I am a little worried about that kind of hit to our starting lineup. I know it's a little early to worry about 2008, but it just punches you in the face when you look at our depth chart and you see so many Juniors as starters.

Montana does have a good reputation for reloading, but this will be a major challenge. I'm also worried that if our veteran 2006 and 2007 teams are successful we'll be breaking in a new coaching staff in 2008 also. :( :eek: These I-A's come in and offer the Head Coach $750,000 a year and boom, you've got a new staff running things.
Who knows, y'all might suck the next couple of years and all this worry will be for nothing.:rolleyes:

Seriously, this is not uncommon for I-AA. Montana is a solid enough program to withstand these minor obstacles. After the 2001 season we lost our Head Coach, quarterback, and Adrian Peterson and despite the rumors, our program did NOT fall apart.

Coastal89
March 15th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Don't feel bad...I believe CCU has more than 30 seniors scheduled to go after this coming season. :eek:
Coastal has 39 seniors on this years team to be exact.

GaSouthern
March 15th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Who knows, y'all might suck the next couple of years and all this worry will be for nothing.:rolleyes:

Seriously, this is not uncommon for I-AA. Montana is a solid enough program to withstand these minor obstacles. After the 2001 season we lost our Head Coach, quarterback, and Adrian Peterson and despite the rumors, our program did NOT fall apart.

Indeed it did'nt fall apart, infact wasnt that Sewak's best year at GSU???

March 15th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Indeed it did'nt fall apart, infact wasnt that Sewak's best year at GSU???Depends how you measure it. :nod:

Ronbo
March 15th, 2006, 08:41 PM
That is too far ahead to make any kind of prediction. Of those 14-15 seniors how many will even stay on the team, of those how many will contibute, and of those how many will be starters. Young guys can come in and beat out upper classmen, and it happens all the time.
Sure Montana could suffer in 2008, but could also suffer or flourish in any year given the right variables. Personally, I doubt most of the current staff will be with the Griz after this year regardless of the outcome of the season. And who knows, new coaches, head or otherwise could be great or horrible, same goes for the recruits of this and the past two years.
I wouldn't worry much about it Ronbo, because it is out of our hands, and impossible to tell.

Foo, I think we'll actually have many more seniors than 14-15 in 2007, in the 20's. The 14-15 are solid starters this year and barring injury should be starters again next year. Hopefully, some underclassmen and new recruits step up and beat a few out by the end of 2007. I'd like to see 4-5 of these Juniors lose out on their starting positions by younger, better players. If we can have enough underclassmen beat out some of the present starters maybe we can get down to only 9-10 starters lost for 2008. I'd be less worried about that.

Grizzaholic
March 20th, 2006, 11:40 AM
If we get a new coaching staff after this year, I am probably not the only one hearing rumors (damn I hate rumors) , we could get a second coming of a "DON REED". I say my prayers every night, and wish for the explosive offense to come back to MT.:read:

VictorG
March 20th, 2006, 11:44 AM
If we get a new coaching staff after this year, I am probably not the only one hearing rumors (damn I hate rumors) , we could get a second coming of a "DON REED". I say my prayers every night, and wish for the explosive offense to come back to MT.:read:

Why would we get a new coaching staff after this year?

Reports coming from spring practice seem to indicate that the offense is much farther along than last year. I'll see for myself at Friday's scrimmage but so far so good!

Ronbo
March 20th, 2006, 03:58 PM
I think the rumors are regarding the present staffs success and with another good season we might get raided by a I-A.

McNeese72
March 20th, 2006, 04:08 PM
McNeese in 1995 had a ton of fifth year seniors. 1995 record 13-1. 1996 final record 3-8.

Graduated a bunchy of seniors in 2003. 2003 record 10-2. 2004 final record 4-7.

Doc

VictorG
March 20th, 2006, 04:33 PM
UC Davis is rumored to have a home and home with Montana starting in '08 when the Aggies are finished with their transition to I-AA.

UC Davis becoming fully funded and in a new stadium could pose problems for Montana's Bay Area/California recruiting. Perhaps.......

More likely a bigger problem for Montata State. UM does gets some kids from around there but IMO recruites the North West even harder. Montana State gets more CA kids than we do.

DTSpider
March 20th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Way too far away to worry about 2008. If you get a couple of good recruiting classes now you can win with red-shirt freshmen & sophomores. Just wisely mix the use of the reshirt and you can balance out the classes assuming guys don't flunk out.

Just worry about 2006 for now. Right now every team is undefeated in 2006. Got to think positive and believe you can win the national title.

McNeese75
March 20th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Ask McNeese State, they appear to be recovering from that sort of thing...

In a nushell!!! IT SUCKED!!:bawling: :bang: