PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cross Fans - Perhaps a little help....

DetroitFlyer
June 29th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Ross Smith was an Ohio kid that chose HC over my Flyers. Now rumors are out that he may have left HC and transferred to Dayton. Can anyone at HC confirm this? I gather that Ross did not play as freshman. Does anyone know what the FCS to FCS transfer rules are for a redshirt freshman like Ross? I saw where he made three catches in the HC Spring game. I would also be curious if any HC folks had any thoughts on Ross. Thanks!

Franks Tanks
June 29th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Try the Holy Cross board at http://s2.excoboard.com/Crossports/33744. It is very active so someone should know.

I am almost 100% positive he would need to sit out the year if he transfers to Dayton.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 29th, 2011, 02:45 PM
If Ross did not play as a freshman, he can play right away at Dayton because Dayton is non-scholarship. Transfer rules of sitting out a year does not apply for non-scholarship athletes, a weird quirk of the rules. That would also explain his presence at the spring game, since it would be an NCAA violation if he participated and he was getting a scholarship from Dayton after not sitting out an entire year.

As for his eligibility, I think he has only three years. If it were the PL, he could apply for for a medical redshirt if he were injured that first year, but that's not necessarily the case for the PFL. Redshirt rules are different in every league, so it would depend on your league office I'd imagine.

crusader11
June 29th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Hey there Flyer. Yup, you got it right. Ross did not play as a freshman and has transferred back home to Dayton. All the best to him.

DetroitFlyer
June 30th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Hey there Flyer. Yup, you got it right. Ross did not play as a freshman and has transferred back home to Dayton. All the best to him.

Thanks for the follow-up!