PDA

View Full Version : Potential I-AA Hall of Famer's?

Rabbitlivinginverm
May 13th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Who are some potential D1aa HOF's?

South Dakota State has two (albeit they played at SDSU when we were D2) in Adam Timmerman (G St. Louis Rams) and Adam Vinitarri (K New England Patriots). Both have had great careers...

Timmerman: 10 years, 2 pro bowls, played in 4 super bowls, has blocked 6 MVP's (RB Marshall Faulk in 2000, QB Kurt Warner in 1999 and 2001, and Packers’ QB Brett Favre in 1995, 1996, and 1997) and has made 157 consecutive starts.

Vinitari: 10th most accurate kicker in NFL history. He has recorded an 80.6 percent accuracy rate (212-263) over his eight-year career. Game winner vs. Raiders (2001 AFC Championship) in the snow, 2001 Super Bowl game winner vs Rams. 2 pro bowls, 10 years pro.

Another interesting note from his bio: "Vinatieri caught Dallas’ Herschel Walker from behind and made a touchdown-saving tackle as a rookie at Dallas (12/15/96)."

Tribe4SF
May 14th, 2005, 03:28 PM
From W&M

Darren Sharper, formerly with the Packers and now with the Vikings. Two-time Pro Bowler with 36 career INTs. Leads NFL over the last 5 years with 31. Tied for Packer record with 7 defensive TDs.

Kicker Steve Christie. 331 career field goals with long of 59. Holds Super Bowl record with a 54 yarder. 78% career conversion. Considering he played most of his years in Buffalo, that's impressive.

By the way, I think Vinatieri is a lock. If he's from your school, you need to learn how to spell his name.

Mr. C
May 16th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Which Hall of Fame are you refering to? College, Pro, or the AGS/I-AA.org (hopefully in the future)?

If you are talking about the Pro Football Hall of Fame, it might be tough for any of these guys to make in. It's a very select club. Haven't been very many kickers to get in, though Viniteri might be considerd some day.

Rabbitlivinginverm
May 16th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Which Hall of Fame are you refering to? College, Pro, or the AGS/I-AA.org (hopefully in the future)?

If you are talking about the Pro Football Hall of Fame, it might be tough for any of these guys to make in. It's a very select club. Haven't been very many kickers to get in, though Viniteri might be considerd some day.

Sorry, Pro Football

colgate13
May 17th, 2005, 08:34 AM

very intriguing idea Mr. C. I like!

saint0917
May 17th, 2005, 09:12 AM
No question, Jerry Rice- Mississippi Valley St.
Rich Gannon- Maybe- Delaware

Josh
May 17th, 2005, 09:31 AM
I vote in the awards and I know one thing. I will vote Rice and Vinateiri for sure. I have been voting for the last 3 years and I look forward to seeing more I-AA players enshrined.

eaglefan452
May 17th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Rice is a sure thing, take it to the bank, I don't know anybody who can even make a case that he won't be a first ballot HOF'er. Although Viniateri has proven that he is the most clutch kicker maybe of all time, it will be tough for him, there is only one kicker in the HOF now, Jan Stenerud I believe. I still think he will make it though. I don't think Rich Gannon will make it, he had his good year(s) too late in his career in my opinion.

GannonFan
May 17th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Agreed - Rice is a lock, Vinatieri may need quite a few more years (inlcuding more clutch kicks to go along with the ones he has) before he's a shoe-in (har har), and Rich Gannon has no prayer in the world of making it, and that's coming from a Gannon disciple. Some nice years, but with Denny Green screwing him up in Minnesota and being buried by Shottenheimer in KC in favor of Elvis "Can't win a mig game" Grbac, Gannon just doesn't have the volume of work needed to make the Hall.

saint0917
May 17th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Terrell Owens- Tenn. Chattanooga, I think he'll be in the HOF, great ball player, but a big time headcase. If he would only screw his head on a little tighter he would be o.k.

What about Steve McNair- Alcorn St.

RadMann
May 17th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Kurt Warner has two NFL MVPs under his belt but I don't see him getting in either....

Mr. C
May 17th, 2005, 10:37 PM
I vote in the awards and I know one thing. I will vote Rice and Vinateiri for sure. I have been voting for the last 3 years and I look forward to seeing more I-AA players enshrined.
You vote for what awards? Are you trying to pass it off that you vote for the Pro Football Hall of Fame? There is a special committee of NFL dignitaries that vote for that.

Here is a link that explains Hall of Fame voting:
http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/selectionprocess.jsp

Tod
May 17th, 2005, 10:46 PM
What about Randy Moss? If he has four or five more good years, I think he's in.

Mr. C
May 17th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Although Viniateri has proven that he is the most clutch kicker maybe of all time, it will be tough for him, there is only one kicker in the HOF now, Jan Stenerud I believe. I still think he will make it though.
Lou Groza was elected in 1974. He played some tackle, but was mostly known as a kicker. He played until he was 43 in 1967 and his career ended when Don Cockroft beat him out in training camp in 1968. Doak Walker (elected in 1986) and Ken Strong (1967) were also kickers. but were named primarily because of their ability as running backs. Bob Waterfield (1965) did everything including kick, but was mostly known as a quarterback. Jan Stenerud was a great one, who changed the game during his 19-year career. One of my earliest memories of college football was when Stenerud helped Montana State beat Fresno State at Fresno's historic Ratcliffe Stadium with a 55-yard field goal, the longest in stadium history. Stenerud attended MSU on a skiing scholarship.

Josh
May 18th, 2005, 12:31 AM
You vote for what awards? Are you trying to pass it off that you vote for the Pro Football Hall of Fame? There is a special committee of NFL dignitaries that vote for that.

Here is a link that explains Hall of Fame voting:
http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/selectionprocess.jsp

College Football Hall of Fame is the one I vote for. I know some media who vote in the Pro Football Hall of Fame and I will be voting in that next year more than likely.

eaglefan452
May 18th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Lou Groza was elected in 1974. He played some tackle, but was mostly known as a kicker. He played until he was 43 in 1967 and his career ended when Don Cockroft beat him out in training camp in 1968. Doak Walker (elected in 1986) and Ken Strong (1967) were also kickers. but were named primarily because of their ability as running backs. Bob Waterfield (1965) did everything including kick, but was mostly known as a quarterback. Jan Stenerud was a great one, who changed the game during his 19-year career. One of my earliest memories of college football was when Stenerud helped Montana State beat Fresno State at Fresno's historic Ratcliffe Stadium with a 55-yard field goal, the longest in stadium history. Stenerud attended MSU on a skiing scholarship.

I have heard of those other guys, but I meant that Stenerud was the only player who only kicked. I think that in the older days of football, there wasn't a player who just kicked, I think that pretty much started in the 60's and 70's.

Saint asked about Steve McNair, I really don't know. If I had to say, I would say no, he was a great player but never really had great numbers. Afterall, it is the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Good or Very Good.

ngineer
May 18th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Not sure what his stats were to make him 'officially' worthy, but Steve Christie of William & Mary had a very long, durable and productive career as a placekicker. Saw him kick at Lehigh in the mid-late 80's and was very impressive.

mikebigg
May 18th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Everson Walls and Albert Lewis both defensive backs from Grambling...multiple Pro Bowl selections for both. Walls lead the league in interceptions 3 times. Both started their careers as corners and finished as safeties.

Retro
May 18th, 2005, 11:48 PM
I know some media who vote in the Pro Football Hall of Fame and I will be voting in that next year more than likely.

lol

Swami, I think your about 20 years away from having the credentials to even have a chance to be selected to vote for the PRO FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME. I'm more qualified to vote in it right now, but that alone won't get you a vote. :spank:

I don't think anyone under the age 35 should vote in any pro hall of fame, because they haven't witnessed enough material to make an honest objective knowledgable selection.. It's different for college, because you only have to see a few years of player's work.

Mr. C
May 21st, 2005, 01:42 AM
College Football Hall of Fame is the one I vote for. I know some media who vote in the Pro Football Hall of Fame and I will be voting in that next year more than likely.
Swami, would you cut the crap and start telling the truth on this board? You are not fooling anyone with these goofy claims. I posted a link so you would get a clue. There are like 33 voters who vote for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. They are people like Paul Zimmerman of SI, John Clayton of ESPN and great writers like Edwin Pope and others, all veteran journalists. They don't give out votes to people such as you and neither does the college football hall of fame either. You need to earn some credibility and PAY YOUR DUES before you are entrusted with such responsibilities. With all of my background, I don't vote for anything more important than the I-AA.org and The Sports Network awards. Give this stuff a rest. We all smell a skunk when it makes itself known.