PDA

View Full Version : Should Wofford be the favorite to win the SoCon?

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 28th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Just throwing this out there for the sake of discussion. IMO the ankle-biters could come out of nowhere and take the trophy. For one thing they return practically all of their players and they don't have to play in Statesboro or Boone this year. I'm also not sure I see a team with a clear advantage over them...

App. State - Can't see the offense being any better with everyone that they lose at the receiver position. Also, between switching to a 3-4 defense (not a good defense for an FCS team to run IMO, you just can't get the linemen you need) and losing Smith and Legree you can expect the defense to fall off some.

GSU - The defense ought to be nasty, if only our new DC is as good as the last one was. Unless one of our younger QBs really breaks out this year GSU's offense probably isn't going to get much better than it was at the end of the season other than doing a better job of securing the ball.

Chatty - Games in Statesboro and Boone. Loses key starters in the offseason.

Elon and Furman - Who knows, but with new coaches I don't think they'll get out of the middle of the pack.

xtwocentsx

OL FU
June 28th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Elon and Furman - Who knows, but with new coaches I don't think they'll get out of the middle of the pack.

xtwocentsx

that was the same thing I said about you fellers last year:(

asumike83
June 28th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Wofford definitely has a shot, since they get GSU and ASU in Sparty. I agree with your overall assessment of ASU except that I am in favor of a switch to the 3-4. ASU's projected starters on the D-Line go 6-6 300 lbs, 6-1 305 lbs and 6-6 315 lbs. They don't have the athleticism of an FBS line, but I think we've got the beef to run an effective 3-4 at this level.

drpnut
June 28th, 2011, 01:16 PM
I don't think Woffy will win it outright. But I strongly believe we will share it with either GaSo or Appy. I also thin the SoCon has a legit shot of getting 4 teams in the playoffs: GaSo,Woffy,Appy, and everyone else presumes Chatty, but I wouldn't rule out a 7-4 Furple squad...

John Deere
June 28th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Sure! WOFO wins the NC too!

SideLine Shooter
June 28th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Sure! WOFO wins the NC too!

Well, I guess anything is possible. Just look at what gsu almost did last year.

jmufan999
June 28th, 2011, 02:01 PM
running a 3-4 works just fine in FCS. villanova has been using a 3 man front for several years and they run it to perfection.

i know what you mean about the d-linemen, but you have to keep in mind they're going against FCS-caliber o-linemen, not a group of all-pro NFL linemen... it's all relative.

i would actually prefer a 3-4 in an FCS team because it's more rare... other teams don't get a chance to see it as often.

Appaholic69
June 28th, 2011, 03:16 PM
I feel that the Woff has a chance, just as much as several teams this year. Barring injuries, Wofford, App, Ga. Southern or Kittynooga has a chance. You just never know until the pads go one though.

As for ASU's depth I am less concerned than others. Our back field is still strong and the receiving corp is anchored by Quick and Washinton, with some talent that I feel is finally going to get the chance to show what they can do. Our O-line is comprised of all seniors so getting to DP won't be any easier.

The defense is going to be much better. Our height can cause some issues for opposing QBs and the front 3 aren't slow. They aren't track stars, but if the secondary sticks and covers well the QB will need to bolt quickly. By the way, Tanyi will still be speeding around the end for pass rush so don't think the 3-4 won't apply some pressure.

Linebackers look good with veteran juniors, supported by some game experienced underclassmen. I'm not worried about the corners, but safety could be an issue.

With all that said, App is still reloading so I can't help but say they have a very good shot...of course we haven't played one down yet so what do I know.

JROCK98
June 28th, 2011, 03:30 PM
In my opinion the Socon will be a dogfight between 4-5 teams. The 4 being ASU, GSU, Chatty, and Wofford and the 5th being Furman. I think Furman will be better than people expect and cause headaches for the other 4 teams. As for ASU and of course i'm a homer but I think the switch to the 3-4 is a good thing and I think the defense will be better this year for a few reasons. 1) Second year under the DC 2) alot of sets can be run from the base 3-4, it can easily go to a 4 man front (look how Alabama uses it) and as someone else mentioned most teams dont see the 3-4 alot during the year so it can cause problems for offenses 3) second year under the DB coach. I expect to see a more aggressive defense than in years past.
I also think the offense will not miss a beat if and this is a big if the OL gels with the new starters. The WR position does not concern me because I think talent wise this years guys will be better than last years.

Apphole
June 28th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Is this thread a ploy to remove Wofford from beneath the radar? If so I like it!

blueballs
June 28th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Wofford has as good a chance of winning it as anybody (although they lost some good o-linemen) and could be a force come playoff time too.

Furman could be a darkhorse but they need to get a LOT better on the d-line to make that happen. Watching the fourth quarter of the GSU/FU game last year was like the Bataan death march for the Purp's d-line. From the start of the quarter to the point GSU kicked off at about 50 seconds remaining after scoring the game winner GSU ran 25 plays to Furman's 3. Furman can't win at a playoff level like that.

phoenixphanatic21
June 28th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Is this thread a ploy to remove Wofford from beneath the radar? If so I like it!

That's exactly what I thought when I read this.

asumike83
June 28th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Our O-line is comprised of all seniors so getting to DP won't be any easier.

Hate to nitpick a fellow ASU fan, but we are very young on the O-Line. Seniors Orry Frye and Matt Ruff will hold down 2 starting spots at Tackle and Guard, but the other 3 starters as well as the back-ups on the 2-deep are all underclassmen. The leading candidate to start at Center is redshirt freshman Graham Fisher. Left Tackle looks to be redshirt Freshman Kendall Lamm. Sophomore Ian Barnard and redshirt Freshman Kalan Jones are fighting for the last remaining spot at guard. Depending how the young guys do, the ASU line could be dominant or it could suffer some growing pains.

That being said, despite the youth, the O-Line is as physically gifted a unit as we've had in a while and we will be loaded for years to come. Our tackles of the future will be two of three big, athletic kids with Kendall Lamm (6-7, 270) sure to lock down the left side next year if not this season, and Sophomores Regan Dufort (6-6, 315) and Dylan Bostick (6-6, 280) fighting on the right side. With a promising young Center in Graham Fisher in camp as well as Derek Evans, Shaq Counts and Ron Henderson coming to Boone this summer, I am confident that the staff will mix up a great front line for the next few years.

I got most of this info from the Rivals page:
http://appalachianstate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1225175

chattanoogamocs
June 28th, 2011, 04:28 PM
People are now revising their attitude about Chattanooga because they lost some players ...didn't Wofford have like 14 or 15 QBs thrown off the team this Spring? xsmiley_wix

Smitty
June 28th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Okay just to be a homer for a second. I predict Western to not finish last in the SoCon. Hopefully 6th or even 5th dare I say

seantaylor
June 28th, 2011, 05:22 PM
GSU should be the favorite. By far the best team at the end of last season and return everyone. Great recruiting class coming in. Monken has another GSU dynasty on his hands.

eaglesrback
June 28th, 2011, 05:30 PM
GSU should be the favorite. By far the best team at the end of last season and return everyone. Great recruiting class coming in. Monken has another GSU dynasty on his hands.

If you went to Woffie for the playoff, you know as well as I do the the Rat Dogs gave us all we wanted. Dont know about "By far".

Apphole
June 28th, 2011, 05:40 PM

I'll give you returning starters, but the "by far best team" and "best recruiting class" is a stretch. You got hot in the playoffs.

eaglesrback
June 28th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I'll give you returning starters, but the "by far best team" and "best recruiting class" is a stretch. You got hot in the playoffs.

Hate to agree with you, but I do. You Apphole!

SU DOG
June 28th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Okay just to be a homer for a second. I predict Western to not finish last in the SoCon. Hopefully 6th or even 5th dare I say

Well, maybe we should discuss or start another thread as to just WHO is the front runner to earn that basement position in the SoCon this season.

SpiritCymbal
June 28th, 2011, 06:55 PM

Consider the source of the quote...don't worry. Definitely doesn't represent 99.9% of the GSU fanbase.

eaglesrback
June 28th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Consider the source of the quote...don't worry. Definitely doesn't represent 99.9% of the GSU fanbase.

What he said!

Milktruck74
June 28th, 2011, 07:38 PM
There are at least 4 and maybe 5 teams that have the talent to win the SoCon...so it is all coming down to staying healthy.

seantaylor
June 28th, 2011, 08:13 PM

Who predicted 10 wins before last season? Young Hov.

Apphole
June 28th, 2011, 08:34 PM
He's better than every UNCC fan ever

Twentysix
June 28th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Well, I guess anything is possible. Just look at what gsu almost did last year.

I love how EWU winning it changed peoples tunes. (Still hate EWU)

Last year this statement would of read, ONLY the CAA App st and Montana should be allowed in the playoffs cause they are the only ones who can win a NC.

GaSouthern
June 28th, 2011, 09:39 PM
that was the same thing I said about you fellers last year:(

Heck, we were saying the same thing, we all thought we would squeak into the playoffs in 2011 and barely have a winning season last year... then we went 10-5

SoCon48
June 29th, 2011, 08:49 AM
I feel that the Woff has a chance, just as much as several teams this year. Barring injuries, Wofford, App, Ga. Southern or Kittynooga has a chance. You just never know until the pads go one though.

As for ASU's depth I am less concerned than others. Our back field is still strong and the receiving corp is anchored by Quick and Washinton, with some talent that I feel is finally going to get the chance to show what they can do. Our O-line is comprised of all seniors so getting to DP won't be any easier.

The defense is going to be much better. Our height can cause some issues for opposing QBs and the front 3 aren't slow. They aren't track stars, but if the secondary sticks and covers well the QB will need to bolt quickly. By the way, Tanyi will still be speeding around the end for pass rush so don't think the 3-4 won't apply some pressure.

Linebackers look good with veteran juniors, supported by some game experienced underclassmen. I'm not worried about the corners, but safety could be an issue.

With all that said, App is still reloading so I can't help but say they have a very good shot...of course we haven't played one down yet so what do I know.

How is the 3-4 normally regarding pass rush?

StorminASU
June 29th, 2011, 08:59 AM
From my limited football knowledge, the 3-4 (when using properly sized lineman) can apply the same amount of pressure at the line, while allowing more multiple blitz packages. You have four linebackers who can blitz in any combination and also assist in stopping the run game, assuming they acquire the skill used to be in the correct position to drop into coverage or run up. It can be confusing with all the movement if used correctly, especially considering most teams don't see many defenses like that.

Milktruck74
June 29th, 2011, 09:52 AM
From my limited football knowledge, the 3-4 (when using properly sized lineman) can apply the same amount of pressure at the line, while allowing more multiple blitz packages. You have four linebackers who can blitz in any combination and also assist in stopping the run game, assuming they acquire the skill used to be in the correct position to drop into coverage or run up. It can be confusing with all the movement if used correctly, especially considering most teams don't see many defenses like that.

For "limited football knowledge" you are spot on. If one of your front 3 can command a double team on most plays (usually a Shade Nose that requires a Center and Guard) it creates a nice blitz lane for one of your 4 extremely athletic linebackers. I waiver on the 3-4 as to weather it is more effective with a stronger front 3 or back 4.... App usually has big strong D-linemen AND Athletic Linebackers, so the 3-4 shouldn't be an issue. They will put plenty of pressure on the QB and be able to stop the run.

biggie
June 29th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Look forward to seeing how the 3-4 can help. Getting Tanyi back (hurt before Montana playoff game) and moving from DE to LB and hope allow him a running start on some blitzes.

For the topic, as I've heard mentioned before not sure I can put Wofford's D over our O just yet, and they seem to hurt themselves (turnovers) in our games. The Triple Option still has to have somewhat of a passing game, not sure if they've improved on that this year.

Appaholic69
June 29th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Hate to nitpick a fellow ASU fan, but we are very young on the O-Line. Seniors Orry Frye and Matt Ruff will hold down 2 starting spots at Tackle and Guard, but the other 3 starters as well as the back-ups on the 2-deep are all underclassmen. The leading candidate to start at Center is redshirt freshman Graham Fisher. Left Tackle looks to be redshirt Freshman Kendall Lamm. Sophomore Ian Barnard and redshirt Freshman Kalan Jones are fighting for the last remaining spot at guard. Depending how the young guys do, the ASU line could be dominant or it could suffer some growing pains.

That being said, despite the youth, the O-Line is as physically gifted a unit as we've had in a while and we will be loaded for years to come. Our tackles of the future will be two of three big, athletic kids with Kendall Lamm (6-7, 270) sure to lock down the left side next year if not this season, and Sophomores Regan Dufort (6-6, 315) and Dylan Bostick (6-6, 280) fighting on the right side. With a promising young Center in Graham Fisher in camp as well as Derek Evans, Shaq Counts and Ron Henderson coming to Boone this summer, I am confident that the staff will mix up a great front line for the next few years.

I got most of this info from the Rivals page:
http://appalachianstate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1225175

I'm not trying to create an argument just wanted to submit my research for the post earlier. I drew my information from the 2011Football Prospectus which listed the following O-Line in the depth roster: Orry Frye, Sr. (Kendall Lamm Fr.), Xan Thomas Sr. (Ian Barnard, So.), Sherman Holt Sr. (Graham Fisher, Fr.), Matt Ruff Sr. (Ian Barnard, So. or Tucker Lee, Fr.), Orry Frye Sr. (Dylan Bostick, So. or Regan Dufort, So.)

After considering your reply, and that Orry can't be in two place at the same time, I see that they may be nodding to the seniors and that the position will be filled by who ever wins the spot. Either way, there is talent and experience there.

bleedblue
June 29th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I don't see enough of the teams in question so I don't know who the favorite is but I do think a more athletic 3-4 will be better suited to stop the triple option.

StorminASU
June 29th, 2011, 12:50 PM
We've not had much problem keeping the Wofford, or Citadel, triple option in check; it's the dern GSU TO we can't seem to get a handle on. Wofford's TO was pretty simple to figure out, it has #7 on the back of it, haha.

GlassOnion
June 29th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Its going to be interesting to watch the new 3-4, thats for sure. Those three 300 pounders should keep the OL off of our LBs, and I like our 235lb-250lb LBs against any RB in the socon. I think there are gonna be some big hits this year, particularly from Justin Wray.

bjtheflamesfan
June 29th, 2011, 01:38 PM
might want to have some seismographs in place then...

GlassOnion
June 29th, 2011, 01:43 PM
might want to have some seismographs in place then...

I believe there already are. Theres a fault under them thar hills.

biggie
June 29th, 2011, 01:53 PM
We've not had much problem keeping the Wofford, or Citadel, triple option in check; it's the dern GSU TO we can't seem to get a handle on. Wofford's TO was pretty simple to figure out, it has #7 on the back of it, haha.
More of GSU's D handled our O better. They beat us last year but wasn't entirely due to our D or their O.

GlassOnion
June 29th, 2011, 02:06 PM
More of GSU's D handled our O better. They beat us last year but wasn't entirely due to our D or their O.

So true. When you hold the App Offense to 14 including overtime, you've put in a good days work.

asumike83
June 29th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I'm not trying to create an argument just wanted to submit my research for the post earlier. I drew my information from the 2011Football Prospectus which listed the following O-Line in the depth roster: Orry Frye, Sr. (Kendall Lamm Fr.), Xan Thomas Sr. (Ian Barnard, So.), Sherman Holt Sr. (Graham Fisher, Fr.), Matt Ruff Sr. (Ian Barnard, So. or Tucker Lee, Fr.), Orry Frye Sr. (Dylan Bostick, So. or Regan Dufort, So.)

After considering your reply, and that Orry can't be in two place at the same time, I see that they may be nodding to the seniors and that the position will be filled by who ever wins the spot. Either way, there is talent and experience there.

You are exactly right, they'll give the Senior the nod until it's written in stone, but Thomas and Holt are both very unlikely to start. Sherman Holt is an experienced guy with pretty good technique, but if we run out a starting Center that goes 5-11 and 245, it could be a LONG season. Thomas has an outside shot to start if he as an impressive enough camp, but Kalan Jones and Ian Barnard are both superior athletically. My guess is Kalan Jones will get the spot, but who knows. In any event, there is no shortage of talent on the offensive line, but it remains to be seen how they will come together.

SideLine Shooter
June 29th, 2011, 08:13 PM
So true. When you hold the App Offense to 14 including overtime, you've put in a good days work.

App had a 14-0 lead 10 minutes into the game and parked it in the garage. When gsu scored right before halftime I said it was over. You have to go for the kill and we didn't.

GlassOnion
June 29th, 2011, 09:20 PM
App had a 14-0 lead 10 minutes into the game and parked it in the garage. When gsu scored right before halftime I said it was over. You have to go for the kill and we didn't.

Thats par for our coaching staff. Sitting on a lead. But the gsu defense deserves credit, once we needed to, we couldnt get anywhere.

GlassOnion
June 29th, 2011, 09:29 PM
You are exactly right, they'll give the Senior the nod until it's written in stone, but Thomas and Holt are both very unlikely to start. Sherman Holt is an experienced guy with pretty good technique, but if we run out a starting Center that goes 5-11 and 245, it could be a LONG season. Thomas has an outside shot to start if he as an impressive enough camp, but Kalan Jones and Ian Barnard are both superior athletically. My guess is Kalan Jones will get the spot, but who knows. In any event, there is no shortage of talent on the offensive line, but it remains to be seen how they will come together.

I'd lean toward Barnard getting the start from the spring reports and talk. My guess would be Lamm, Barnard, Fisher, Ruff, Frye.
Next man out at OT being Dufort, and Thomas at OG.

StorminASU
June 30th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Thats par for our coaching staff. Sitting on a lead. But the gsu defense deserves credit, once we needed to, we couldnt get anywhere.

You aren't playing. I hope we've learned our lesson over these last three seasons. I want to see more Wofford 2008 and WCU 2007 scores!

bigCasu
June 30th, 2011, 10:55 AM
For "limited football knowledge" you are spot on. If one of your front 3 can command a double team on most plays (usually a Shade Nose that requires a Center and Guard) it creates a nice blitz lane for one of your 4 extremely athletic linebackers. I waiver on the 3-4 as to weather it is more effective with a stronger front 3 or back 4.... App usually has big strong D-linemen AND Athletic Linebackers, so the 3-4 shouldn't be an issue. They will put plenty of pressure on the QB and be able to stop the run.

I think the huge difference between the 2005 and 2006 App teams and the teams of the last 3 years has been a pass rush. We have scored points with consistency, and been slightly above average on defense, but we have missed Jason Hunter and Marques Murrell type players who could straight get after the quarterback. Everyone knows we never used to blitz. With the 3-4, it may not appear as a blitz, but bringing any of our linebackers(Wray, Grier), or stand up DE's (Tanyi, Rizor), will cause havoc like we all remember in 2005 and 2006. In 2007, we didnt need a defense, we just decided to outscore everyone every week, take away 2 games

HighCountry
June 30th, 2011, 11:46 AM

I hate to be 'that guy' but there were some CRITICAL errors committed by our O that could have changed the outcome of the game.

But back to the original topic, no I do not thing Wofford should be the favorite to win the SoCon. Having both us and the Eagles in Spartanburg isn't an advantage for Wofford (please, their house is pathetic) it is simply a loss of homefield advantage for APP and GSU, the ankle-biters gain no edge with that high school field. It will come down to us or GSU.

Appaholic
June 30th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Ga South should win it or possibly share with Wofford. My picks are as follows:

1- GSU
2- Wof
3- UNCC
5- ASU
5- UTC
6- who cares...

SouthernBugler
June 30th, 2011, 12:33 PM
I hate to be 'that guy' but there were some CRITICAL errors committed by our O that could have changed the outcome of the game.

But back to the original topic, no I do not thing Wofford should be the favorite to win the SoCon. Having both us and the Eagles in Spartanburg isn't an advantage for Wofford (please, their house is pathetic) it is simply a loss of homefield advantage for APP and GSU, the ankle-biters gain no edge with that high school field. It will come down to us or GSU.

Last years playoff game against Wofford, Georgia Southern EASILY took control of their so-called home field advantage by taking over their entire away stands and a third of their home stands... not to mention a good chunk of their hill. If anything, they will be lucky to call either one of our meetings this season (App. or GaSo) a neutral site.

Milktruck74
June 30th, 2011, 01:12 PM

1- GSU
2- Wof
3- UNCC
5- ASU
5- UTC
6- who cares...

I've got this exact top 5, and VMI as my #6...HA

ThompsonThe
July 1st, 2011, 03:55 AM
xbangxFrom what I recall reading on their bulletin board, Western Carolina Catamounts will dominate the Southern Conference this year. Their recruits are second to none. No one can possibly beat them. Bardo, or Barto, HAS to win this year or he is gone, so he will decide to win!xbandwagonx
xdeadhorsexOf course that may have been said each year, probably in jest, except for the coach thing. I said they were doing the wrong thing when they fired Kent Briggs. He was a WCU grad, and their Prez and Admin wasn't giving him any help at all. I believe all his assistants had to teach, no recruiting money, etc. He had a hell of a better record than they have had since then. They should bring him back and give him some support.xdizzyx

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 1st, 2011, 07:28 AM

1- GSU
2- Wof
3- UNCC
5- ASU
5- UTC
6- who cares...

North Carolina-Cullowhee in third? Wow. xlolx

GaSouthern
July 1st, 2011, 07:33 AM
Last years playoff game against Wofford, Georgia Southern EASILY took control of their so-called home field advantage by taking over their entire away stands and a third of their home stands... not to mention a good chunk of their hill. If anything, they will be lucky to call either one of our meetings this season (App. or GaSo) a neutral site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7erZddZgoU
Video Proof!