PDA

View Full Version : New Football Stadium For Albany....FINALLY

M Ruler
June 23rd, 2011, 03:19 PM
http://www.worldinteriordesignnetwork.com/news/heery_international_to_build_new_stadium_at_state_ university_of_new_york_110623

Its ABOUT TIME!!!!!!

th0m
June 23rd, 2011, 04:32 PM
6k capacity? is this in line with Albany attendance? Seems a little low, but then again it is expandable. Still, congratulations on getting a new place.

GannonFan
June 23rd, 2011, 04:34 PM
Do you even need to hire a company to design a 6k seat stadium? Can't you just put out folding chairs on some risers and get the same thing??? ;)

Dane96
June 23rd, 2011, 06:02 PM
I wont get into details, since I simply dont believe much of what is told to us anymore, but...if attendence maxes out in the first few years...there will be immediate expansion. Remember, if we had gotten the coin to build this sucker back two years ago...we would have had 14k or so to start.

The design will be for 24,000 and a club level...starting with 6,000. I would not be shocked for another 6,000 in two years. It's a money thing right now. Additionally, the track team will get a re-vamped stadium and they deserve it...so they can host.

UAalum72
June 23rd, 2011, 06:16 PM
6k capacity? is this in line with Albany attendance? Seems a little low, but then again it is expandable. Still, congratulations on getting a new place.
6,000 is less than Albany generally gets for homecoming now, so I'd expect the first expansion to go to at least 10K.

Seawolf97
June 23rd, 2011, 07:20 PM
xthumbsupxCongratulations at long last !

ursus arctos horribilis
June 23rd, 2011, 07:54 PM
Excellent news. It's a good start for the Danes. Hope it get a lot of people wanting tickets and creates some demand to expand.

UNH Fanboi
June 23rd, 2011, 08:08 PM
Congrats. Albany to the CAA??

DetroitFlyer
June 23rd, 2011, 08:15 PM
Congrats Albany fans!!

DFW HOYA
June 23rd, 2011, 08:35 PM
Congratulations, but be wary of phased consitruction. Sometimes, construction stops and never starts again...

R3TRO
June 23rd, 2011, 09:28 PM

This???

Dane96
June 23rd, 2011, 09:31 PM
Congratulations, but be wary of phased consitruction. Sometimes, construction stops and never starts again...

Normally I'd say yes but if the overtures to alumni are founded...(we have the money for Round 2 but from a different kitty...about 4 million)

Go...gate
June 23rd, 2011, 11:07 PM
Congratulations!

henfan
June 24th, 2011, 08:05 AM

Echo the congrats but come on. CAA FB is not even a remote possibility until Albany begins offering 63 equivalencies. A 6K-seat stadium is a first step at developing a stronger NEC program, which is fantastic.xsmileyclapx

M Ruler
June 24th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Albany has always wanted to go to 63 scholarships and be a CAA school. They have had their hands tied behind their back. Officials at the highest levels have stated that they wanted to be full schollie in FCS. I believe it was a financial issue. a few years back they did not see the advantage of going to the Big South so they passed.

I believe Albany will be at least 57 by 2013. I could be wrong but I dont think so. The vision of this AD and Coach Ford has always been to run with the big dawgs of the CAA. Hopefully an invite comes at some point or at the very least a new conference that includes Fordham, Stony Brook, Albany, Maine, and UNH(I know they dont want to go anywhere) can be established.

Maybe the NEC goes to 57 rides and puts Wagner, Sacred Heart, St. Francis, and I believe Robert Morris in the ever expanding Pioneer League.

Wildcat80
June 24th, 2011, 10:11 AM

Now that's Funny!!! (except for Hoya fans)

Wildcat80
June 24th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Congrats to UA!!! UNH fans are envious....and exasperated!!??

RichH2
June 24th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Nice job. good luck with continued expansion.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 24th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Albany has always wanted to go to 63 scholarships and be a CAA school. They have had their hands tied behind their back. Officials at the highest levels have stated that they wanted to be full schollie in FCS. I believe it was a financial issue. a few years back they did not see the advantage of going to the Big South so they passed.

I believe Albany will be at least 57 by 2013. I could be wrong but I dont think so. The vision of this AD and Coach Ford has always been to run with the big dawgs of the CAA. Hopefully an invite comes at some point or at the very least a new conference that includes Fordham, Stony Brook, Albany, Maine, and UNH(I know they dont want to go anywhere) can be established.

Maybe the NEC goes to 57 rides and puts Wagner, Sacred Heart, St. Francis, and I believe Robert Morris in the ever expanding Pioneer League.

With the majority of NEC Football teams also being all sports members of the NEC, do you really think they'd vote to increase the scholarship level and exile themselves to another football league? xeyebrowx

UNH wants a full scholarship FCS league, I believe they will listen to viable alternatives. Right now the only choice is to stay in the CAA.

Hope this comes to fruition for the Danes! I've met a bunch of your fans at the AE Basketball tournament and enjoyed tailgating with many of them when you hosted the tournament. You guys deserve a better venue for football.

DFW HOYA
June 24th, 2011, 10:43 AM
UNH wants a full scholarship FCS league, I believe they will listen to viable alternatives. Right now the only choice is to stay in the CAA.

Albany, Maine, Stony Brook, UNH...if the AE could ever get its act together, it calls Fordham and Colgate.

Seawolf97
June 24th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Albany, Maine, Stony Brook, UNH...if the AE could ever get its act together, it calls Fordham and Colgate.

Maybe when a new commissioner is named -but I wouldn't hold my breath. The AE powers to be are not in favor of adding football anytime soon.

UAalum72
June 24th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Albany's previous contract with the NEC expired after 2010. I haven't seen any announcement about a renewal, but obviously we're still in it for 2011 - yearly renewals?

bostonspider
June 24th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Is this the 6,000 seat stadium they are building?

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5065/5867533166_64c10baa37_b.jpg

M Ruler
June 24th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Yes. The first 6000 seats and tower will be ready by the kickoff of the 2012 season(which is Colgate I believe)then as UAalum72 stated they will probably expand to 10,000. I could see this being finished by 2017 with a 14,000 seat capacity.

I am sure UA DOES NOT have FBS dreams so I doubt this ever gets to 24,000.

WELCOME TO FORD FIELD. A big bronze statue of "The Bipper" out front with his golf hat would be appropriate.

Dane96
June 24th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Let's temper down expectations. I think it will LOOK SOMETHING LIKE THAT...but that is the original plan that seated 10,000 for the first round. My understandiing is it wont necessarily look like this...but will have some permanent structures and some temp structures. If we see a tower...then things change a bit. I know they were battling over whether to add more seats or the tower...so will see.

Wildcat80
June 24th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Does the "bowl" design look a little like Stony Brook's?

Seawolf97
June 24th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Does the "bowl" design look a little like Stony Brook's?

From the picture shown it does resemble our stadium - with the field actually below grade. The Danes new field cetainly is a nice design, I like the towers and plenty of room for expansion.

dbackjon
June 25th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Congrats!!

Dane96
June 27th, 2011, 10:57 AM
In an update...Heery's newsletter says what many of us had been told: the design is for 8,000 seats (not 6,000) and the track facility will be seperate.

Until I hear from the University itself (as Danefan has stated, "...crickets..."), I won't put stock in anything.

Another thing to ponder is what we are getting for 8,000 seats. If we see the TOWER NOT GOING UP...I will actually be somewhat more excited because that would likely be part of Phase 2, going up to 12-14k seats....and would likely mean it is a shoo in for development.

NHwildEcat
June 27th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Congrats to Albany...this is a step in the right direction. I am quite jealous- this is going to be state funded? If so what are your secrets to getting a broke/cash strapped state to step up to the plate? In NH I am surprised our legislators didn't ask the U to fold the program along with all the other programs we have/are going to be cutting.

CRAZY_DANE
June 27th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Says here the base is 8,000, not 6,000

http://www.heery.com/Repository/Files/HeeryNews_Spring2011_0.pdf

CRAZY_DANE
June 27th, 2011, 02:27 PM
The Albany stadium is on the top left of page 15

TheBisonator
June 27th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Congrats to Albany...this is a step in the right direction. I am quite jealous- this is going to be state funded? If so what are your secrets to getting a broke/cash strapped state to step up to the plate? In NH I am surprised our legislators didn't ask the U to fold the program along with all the other programs we have/are going to be cutting.

I'd kind of like to know the same thing. At NDSU, we've been trying like hell to raise 34 million dollars to rebuild our stinky dungpile of a basketball arena, and we've been not very successful at raising funds. And this is in a state that has a SURPLUS. And the state won't give us one dime of that surplus money to contribute towards its construction.

Dane96
June 27th, 2011, 03:27 PM
We are getting very little if at all from the State. This is a much scaled down version of the 24,000 seat 60 million dollar stadium we were supposed to get. A lot of this funding was previously earmarked for the project with donations...and some State dollars. THIS IS NOT A STATE BUDGET ITEM.

Mattymc727
June 27th, 2011, 04:38 PM
I find it amazing that UNH still doesnt have the money raised for atleast an upgrade by now. There has been serious fundraising efforts since 2005. The state will never budge on giving money, but can a big state university with a huge alumni base really not generate anything over 6 years?

Dane96
June 27th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Statement from Heery:

"Starting 2011 on a positive note, Heery’s sports design group was selected by the State University of New York at Albany to design a new multipurpose stadium at the upstate campus. The selection comes on the heels of a feasibility study that Heery completed in 2009. The initial phase of the project is to design an 8,000-seat stadium used primarily for the football program, with the, ability to handle other field sports during championship competitions. The design of the project is one that will allow for future expansion, as the university has goals for the facility to eventually seat 24,000, complete with suites and club amenities attractive to both fans and donors. As a result of the football field being moved to a new site and out of the center of the existing track, Heery will coordinate the design of a new, expanded track at the existing location."

Dane96
July 4th, 2011, 09:48 AM
The first real marketing plan on the concept. We have seen the Heery contract for design (FOIL request)...and this is the first real piece of good info that indeed we are near a groundbreaking. Starting at 6,000...expandable to 24,000.

https://admin.xosn.com/attachments1/107522.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=15800

NHwildEcat
July 4th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I find it amazing that UNH still doesnt have the money raised for atleast an upgrade by now. There has been serious fundraising efforts since 2005. The state will never budge on giving money, but can a big state university with a huge alumni base really not generate anything over 6 years?

Apparently yes.

Grizzaholic
July 4th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Should look really nice.

danefan
July 5th, 2011, 10:58 AM
6,000 is small, but I also expect it very possible to be over capacity every game in 2012. If that is the case then I'd expect the second phase (an additional 5-6,000) to be built very quickly. But its very hard to guage what attendance could be for Albany. The current field is so bad that its possible we could see attendance double or more as a result of the new stadium. Homecoming games get over 6,000 now and I'm not exagerating when I say only 3,000 tops can actually see the entire field.

Based on the contracts it looks like the first phase includes all infrastructure to be able to easily add the additional phases. Even the drawing in the above PDF indicates that. For example, the elevator towers includes an additional level to reach suites which will likley be added above the press box in Phase II. Having that all in place makes it much cheaper and easier later on.

Dane96
July 13th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Finally-- a public statement by a UA official. The picture is the oldest design out there...and likely inaccurate.

Highlights: Stadium, upgrade to the current site of the football stadium to convert that to a track and field facility, and a student-use only field turf set-up. This thing is further along than the article indicates...that's a fact.

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-to-build-football-stadium-1463133.php

Sly Fox
July 13th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Congrats on this thing finally developing some legs! I know this has been forever in the waiting. It will make the final product all the more satisfying.

Wildcat80
July 13th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Boy I wish UNH was doing this!!!

https://picasaweb.google.com/DFriedson/UniversityOfNewHampshireFootballStadiumExpansion#

M Ruler
July 13th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Now we need to get our A$$ into the CAA! Or get the NEC to go to 57 schollies.

Our Alumni football reunion is this weekend and I will see where we stand on that issue.

DFW HOYA
July 13th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Now we need to get our A$$ into the CAA! Or get the NEC to go to 57 schollies.

There's always the Patriot Lea...um, never mind.

The Eagle's Cliff
July 13th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Boy I wish UNH was doing this!!!

https://picasaweb.google.com/DFriedson/UniversityOfNewHampshireFootballStadiumExpansion#

Wow, that's a lot of space for Soccer.

jmufan
July 13th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Albany's new Stadium! Congratulations.

http://www.bubsbbq.com/ordereze/images/items/IMAGE22.JPG

Dane96
July 13th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Way to talk smack on the thread. My only real issue with the smack is that it is really weak...

But next time...take it to the smack board.

NHwildEcat
July 13th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I would really love to see this begin the process of having Albany join the CAA...I would love to travel to Albany for a road game!

Fingers crossed!

jmufan
July 13th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Just so you know, I wasn't really talking smack, only having a little fun. No smack intended. Honestly though, congrats on the new stadium, I am sure you have been waiting a long time for it.

CRAZY_DANE
July 17th, 2011, 10:44 PM
The stadium is finally "offically" announced...kind of. The project is finally listed on our facilities website along with every other offical project and an email went out from the president but part of me is still nervous. Our local paper didn't cover the project for two years and now is acting shocked at the news. How can this be?

We're weathering criticism from our anti-athletic local paper but I'm hoping that will blow over.

You'll notice the word "stadium" is never used. It's too infamatory. We're going with "facility".

http://www.albany.edu/facilities/athleticfields.html

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Athletic-project-fills-need-UAlbany-president-1468320.php

Go...gate
July 17th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Geez, they even call it a "modest" facility. Some PR training needed there.

danefan
July 18th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Geez, they even call it a "modest" facility. Some PR training needed there.

To say the least. xbawlingx

Getting destroyed by the local press right now.

I don't think it will matter in the long run though. The $$$ is apparently there and ready to go.

Such a poorly managed project from the start.

49RFootballNow
July 18th, 2011, 10:32 AM
To say the least. xbawlingx

Getting destroyed by the local press right now.

I don't think it will matter in the long run though. The $$$ is apparently there and ready to go.

Such a poorly managed project from the start.

Is your local press "destroying" it because its been mismanaged or because they oppose it in principle?

danefan
July 18th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Is your local press "destroying" it because its been mismanaged or because they oppose it in principle?

They are destroying it because they are (1) anti-UAlbany and (2) anti-athletics.

The window was opened for criticism in the extreme because the project has been mismanaged, especially on the PR front.

Building a stadium and cutting academic programs in the same semester is a delicate subject, despite the fact that the two are truly unconnected. Knowing how it would be viewed and the contentious relationship with the local press, I would have thought the school would have had a little more PR foresight.

TheRevSFA
July 18th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Best of luck on it...

49RFootballNow
July 18th, 2011, 11:29 AM
They are destroying it because they are (1) anti-UAlbany and (2) anti-athletics.

The window was opened for criticism in the extreme because the project has been mismanaged, especially on the PR front.

Building a stadium and cutting academic programs in the same semester is a delicate subject, despite the fact that the two are truly unconnected. Knowing how it would be viewed and the contentious relationship with the local press, I would have thought the school would have had a little more PR foresight.

Having gone through a similar situation with our recent football startup and the local rag here's my advice. If the negative press is coming from the editorial page file it under IDGAF. Print media is a dying animal and editorials are just someone's usually poorly informed opinion. If its like the Charlotte Disturber then anyone who wrote for a college paper can get a job writting editorials, and they usually don't bother with facts. The Disturber Sports Page was hands off for the most part before the financing was secured and now that we're building we're getting more positive press from the sports page then ever before with just basketball, plus the anti-football editorials are gone now. In fact the loudest critic on the Disturber Editorial Board lost her job with them last year. Irony is sweet indeed.

danefan
July 18th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Having gone through a similar situation with our recent football startup and the local rag here's my advice. If the negative press is coming from the editorial page file it under IDGAF. Print media is a dying animal and editorials are just someone's usually poorly informed opinion. If its like the Charlotte Disturber then anyone who wrote for a college paper can get a job writting editorials, and they usually don't bother with facts. The Disturber Sports Page was hands off for the most part before the financing was secured and now that we're building we're getting more positive press from the sports page then ever before with just basketball, plus the anti-football editorials are gone now. In fact the loudest critic on the Disturber Editorial Board lost her job with them last year. Irony is sweet indeed.

You're probably right, we should all just file it away. I have a sensitive spot when it comes to this particular paper's attitude towards the Albany athletic program. Best to let it go though. I just hope the Administration sticks to its guns. I have no faith in them either though.

49RFootballNow
July 18th, 2011, 12:11 PM
You're probably right, we should all just file it away. I have a sensitive spot when it comes to this particular paper's attitude towards the Albany athletic program. Best to let it go though. I just hope the Administration sticks to its guns. I have no faith in them either though.

This whole comment sounds so familar to me.

TheBisonator
July 18th, 2011, 12:48 PM
NDSU has kind of a similar issue with its local paper (Fargo Forum), except it's not totally bias against the university, it's giving favor to UND (which is 75 miles to the north) over NDSU. I agree with the 49er fan, chalk up most things in the paper to IDGAF.

I'm very happy to see Albany start its new stadium, BTW. You guys always deserved a more robust football program.

Dane96
July 19th, 2011, 09:17 AM

I second everything Danefan has said. Maybe it is because we think (as do other alums) in such an analytical way, but we are on the same page of feelings right now--combined happy, wary, amazement at the detractor statements, vitrol at the hack local paper, but most of all some serious dismay and disgust at the debacle the school administration has self-created.

The project will likely get done...but with a major, and mostly unnecessary PR hit.

aceinthehole
July 19th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I second everything Danefan has said. Maybe it is because we think (as do other alums) in such an analytical way, but we are on the same page of feelings right now--combined happy, wary, amazement at the detractor statements, vitrol at the hack local paper, but most of all some serious dismay and disgust at the debacle the school administration has self-created.

The project will likely get done...but with a major, and mostly unnecessary PR hit.
CCSU's outdoor athletic renovations has had similar PR issues. A much more modest project ($8 million) that was entirely university funded (through student fees), still took a lot of heat.

The school stressed that the fields would be used for athletics as well as recreation (intramurals, etc), further emphasizing the student benefit of the project. And even though it was entirely funded by the school, we had to rely on the State Public Works department for some of the design and construction.

IMO the entire project is a mess and I blame the University Administration as much as the State, faculty, media, and other critics. The planning and PR was piss poor, and although the final project will be much better than what we have now (new fieldturf for baseball, softball, soccer, and football, new track, and expanded seating), I fear it will still look very "high school" when it's finally done.

Good luck UA fans, it has been and will continue to be a long and frustrating road to completion.

danefan
September 8th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Update: http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/UAlbany-details-plans-for-new-athletic-field-2156601.php

Project is going to bid soon.

$18-24 million
includes track renovation at a separate location from the football stadium and a new intramural field.

http://www.albany.edu/facilities/images/slideshow/athleticfieldsrepair02-lg.png

My best guestimate is that the track/intramural field will eat up $3-5million with the rest for Phase I of the football stadium (or whatever the hell the politically correct term is for it these days).

Franks Tanks
September 8th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Update: http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/UAlbany-details-plans-for-new-athletic-field-2156601.php

$18-24 million
includes track renovation at a separate location from the football stadium and a new intramural field.

My best guestimate is that the track/intramural field will eat up $3-5million with the rest for Phase I of the football stadium (or whatever the hell the politically correct term is for it these days).

What is that building to the left? Office space for the coaches?

Anyway looks nice-- a little like SBU's.

Go...gate
September 8th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Looks good.

danefan
September 8th, 2011, 12:15 PM
What is that building to the left? Office space for the coaches?

Anyway looks nice-- a little like SBU's.

Not 100% sure what it is except in other renderings we've seen the base of the tower on the back will have a ticket/souvenier store. It will also house the elevator shaft for the tower. Notice it goes up an additional level which is likely to accommodate luxury boxes being built in Phase II on top of the press box (which is the glass you see in this picture).

The first Phase includes all the infrastructure for future expansions. The future phases will be pieced on (seamlessly - not in a Montana fashion) as money and demand requires.

Dane96
September 8th, 2011, 12:23 PM
The debate some of are having is how they will do the otherside (well, at least Danefan and I). The eventual expansion will include meeting rooms, a club-level and as Danefan stated, luxury boxes.

It is clear the elevator shaft goes up to an additional un-built level. So, will they decide to keep the pressboxes as seen in the pictures and build the luxury boxes and other space on the opposite side? Will they decide to convert the pressbox to the club/conference room level and build luxury boxes on top...and then move the pressbox to the other side. Or will they make the luxury boxes in the endzones...

who knows...but at least we have something started. I suspect if the demand is there...we build out the other side by 2016 to get to 12-15k, plus seating in the berms for another 5k.

There is talk of having temporary bleachers as early as the opener on the opposite side.

MplsBison
September 8th, 2011, 12:47 PM

$18-24 million

Two things:

1) get rid of the stupid, nonsymmetrical elevator shaft building on the left. Stupid.
2) how do they plan on getting the grass to look so polygonial?

Other than that - the main grandstand structure looks great

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 8th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Looks very nice. I'm sure we'll have a game there at some point...

Dane96
September 8th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Two things:

1) get rid of the stupid, nonsymmetrical elevator shaft building on the left. Stupid.
2) how do they plan on getting the grass to look so polygonial?

Other than that - the main grandstand structure looks great

Why would they get rid of an ADA required elevator shaft? Why would they build a second shaft to make it look symmetrical...it would be $$$ wasted.

In any event, it will look better once all three levels of the structure are connected to the elevator shaft in the second or third Phase.

DG Cowboy
September 8th, 2011, 03:48 PM
I like the look! Gud on ya!

MplsBison
September 8th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Why would they get rid of an ADA required elevator shaft? Why would they build a second shaft to make it look symmetrical...it would be $$$ wasted.

In any event, it will look better once all three levels of the structure are connected to the elevator shaft in the second or third Phase.

Believe me, I hate disabled people as much as anyone - but I didn't say get rid of the elevator shaft, I said get rid of the elevator shaft building.

Why have an entirely separate, huge structure not next to, but out a ways from the grandstand, whose only purpose is to house an elevator?! Is there really no other way up there such that a big, stupid building had to be built outward from the main structure and call attention to itself - as an elevator house? Come on...

And look at the friggin size of it - in the picture it's as wide as the distance from one aisle to the next aisle!! How could you possibly need an elevator that big to take a few media members and assistant coaches up to the press box?!

It really would not be hard at all to modify the grandstand design to encompass a single, normal sized elevator (say 8-10 people).

Dane96
September 8th, 2011, 05:43 PM
The reason it is built like that is because we are putting in all the infrastructure upfront for the entire 24,000 seat set up. It costs less now to do it, rather than when we want to expand. So, once the expansion happens, they literally just have put up steel/pre-cast and then finish it off.

Eventually, the upperdeck will be expanded, and the bottom will wrap around...both touching the shaft and connecting as if one building. And something I noticed today on the other design pics- looks like they are leaving footprint areas behind the grandstand and a hollowed out back in order to eventually add on a structure, which would be similar to the old design.

That said, they are putting it out to bid soon...so will see if this indeed has gone through FDR. And it is clear you aren't in construction. A normal sized elevator shaft, with gears...etc is around triple the size of the elevator...so a 10 person elevator is probably around 5-8 feet wide. Do the math...boom you have 30 feet in width. Average seat distance is about 18-24 inches dependent on the seat...and there you have it, a row of 16 or so seats...that's why it's that wide. Also, from the design it looks like that could be a safety stairwell as well.

That said, you are a ****ing asswipe with your comments about the handicap.

Bogus Megapardus
September 8th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I like this stadium design very much. A couple questions - will the mid-level concourse be a ground level? In other words, when you walk into the facility, will you walk directly into the middle concourse? Also, right now, the stairs of the main athletic building sort of serve as the seating for the football field, IIRC. How will the new facility and the athletic building interface?

As for the elevator structure - I like it the way it is. Besides, anyone who has spent any time in Albany knows that city is the World's Capitol of giant, free-standing obelisk-like structures. To that we all owe Nelson Rockefeller and Erastus Corning a debt of gratitude.

Dane96
September 8th, 2011, 07:44 PM
The final design I think is being finalized right now. Basically, one of our alumni bucked up and put up a matching donation pledge up to $1mm dollars. If the school succeeded with that...then we would have about 18-20mm to spend solely on the stadium, which could change the design significantly.

That said, the area is already sort of a depression in the ground of about 8 feet. It looks like indeed, the stadium's mid-level concourse will be at ground level...primarily because the depression at the Northern endzone (to the right in that picture) rolls up on the hill and ground level the lax and field hockey stadiums sit on. So, to have clearance to build an eventual upper deck in that endzone (likely a later phase bringing us up to 24k seats), you would have to dig down.

As for the "Main Gym", that structure is the "Old Gym" It is the home court for women's volleyball and has extra hoop courts, the pool, coaching offices and other facilities, including the current lockeroom for football that underwent a major refurbishment. It also contains the athlete-only new weight room and athletic performance room. The stairs do serve as the current football field seats. We dont know the plans yet, but they are going to rebuild this area to serve for the track team...and the old plans include 2500-3000 seats, upgraded lights and an entire new track surface. The team is near breaking the Top 30...so they expect crowds for meets.

Under the old 60mm, 24k seat plan, the new Stadium was going to connect to SEFCU Arena via a walkway...SEFCU sits behind the old gym sharing the same walkway. Under the scaled down plan, currently there will be no connection between SEFCU and the New Stadium. If they choose to keep the lockerroom where it is, they could make an extension from SEFCU to the new Stadium in the future....and SEFCU is connected underground to the Old Gym and the lockerroom. My guess, they won't do this in future phases and the lockerrooms will go in the new stadium eventually.

As for Rockefeller...the bell tower in the pool of the center podium is affectionately nickname, "Rockefeller's Erection."

Dane96
September 8th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Bogus- Here is the link to the various views. Clearly enter on ground level unless you are going to the team store through the elevator building:

Additionally, below is a good view of the area where the stadium will sit. The stadium will be South of that air bubble, east of the smaller white building (SEFCU ARENA, which is build into the ground...court level is about 30 feet deep from ground level closest to the Old Gym...and about 8-10 feet deep on the parking lot side) and the building in front of SEFCU is the "Old Gym" where the steps/seats for the current stadium exists. You can see football lines in the lower right part of the screen. That is the soccer pitch that is dolled up for the Giants. That's where the stadium is going:

http://www.uwmarx.com/images/projects/UAlbany_RACC/UAlbany_RACC_Aerial_309x230_72dpi.jpg

Bogus Megapardus
September 8th, 2011, 11:00 PM
OK - for some reason I thought that the new field surface would be in the same location as the present surface. It looks like they'll re-do the present football area solely for track and field. (When Lafayette renovated Fisher Field, the track was removed and a new track facility was constructed at Lafayette's Metzgar athletic fields, along with new, sport-specific locker rooms. The new track was part of the overall renovation budget.) The notion of having Albany's athletic building steps serve as the seats was probably a good idea at one time, and it still might do nicely for track events and whatever else might be played in the interior field.

With the proposed arrangement, it looks as it if the "old" athletic building can still serve as locker facilities for football, which would seem like a prudent idea. After all, you actually want to get this thing built and get the most bang for the buck. It's excellent that it is being planned in stages so that future construction can be coordinated with the first-built facility.

Will lacrosse play in the new stadium as well?

Seawolf97
September 8th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Long overdue for the Danes. Good Luck in your new house!

Dane96
September 8th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Nothing will be played on the interior field...it will be a straight up T&F facility. I'm not kidding when I say this, but they firmly believe they can build a Top 20-30 National Program...and having a new facility will allow them to host meets on a regular basis. From what we were told awhile ago...the T&F renovations will include bleachers...but who knows.

Big time lax games can be played at the new facility, though the team has their own 2500 seat stadium, which is directly above the New Stadium's North Endzone. Soccer will have it's permanent home on the football field.

If you think about it...18-20mm is a lot of dough for 6,000 seats...so to me...it means they will definitely expand at least to 10-12k shortly...otherwise, you have wasted dough. The benefit of laying cable, sewage, fiber-optic, electric, etc. now...is that when you do expand, it will be a straight up modular experience as opposed to large-scale excavation, local work...then physical construction. In the modular plan, all you have to do is dig in to build the stanchion supports (my guess is they will have built some footprint foundation around the filed) and then plop on your steel, pre-cast and then finishing touches. Clearly, the large work post-Phase 1 is whatever Phase has the Luxury Suites, Meeting rooms, etc.

Dane96
September 8th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Long overdue for the Danes. Good Luck in your new house!

Gracias. To me...my next two immediate steps are as follows:

1. If the NCAA does not change counter status to 57.5 by the end of 2012...announce a move to whatever league will have us as a full-scholly league. Part 2 of that will to be an immediate renewal of the Albany-Stony Brook rivalry. We could pay for the first 10-15 rides with one FBS game per year (300k-400k payout). The other 10...hammer alumni on.

2. By 2014, start breaking ground on the lower bowl North Endzone (there is a reason I say that particular zone) and lower sideline...or, if the money exists...the entire sideline sans endzone.

At that point, I'd be happy.

Sly Fox
September 9th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Why not move to SBU's league to accomplish both needs? It has certainly been discussed before.

Dane96
September 9th, 2011, 07:30 AM
At this point, if the offer is open...I would say run with it!

danefan
September 9th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Why not move to SBU's league to accomplish both needs? It has certainly been discussed before.

I was against the Big South when it was offered to Albany. I had more faith in our AD at that point to make something happen with our peer schools in the northeast.

Well - that didn't happen and I have absolutely zero faith in our AD.

If the Big South offered today I'd say without a doubt Albany should jump on it. And do its best to bring along Maine, New Hampshire, CCSU and Fordham.

Big South
Coastal Carolina
Gardner-Webb
Charleston Southern
Liberty
Presbyterian
VMI

Big North
Stony Brook
Albany
CCSU
Maine
New Hampshire
Fordham

Dane96
September 9th, 2011, 09:00 AM
That would be a fantastic set-up and alternative to this "Yankee Conference" that has been a pipe dream with the CAA schools.

First, it would keep both Southern and Northern peers together. Second, it would allow for local rivalries to build up fan-bases.

Second, it would allow each school to tap into recruiting territories for both football and academics. Out-of-state students bring in big $$. For the Northern schools it allows recruiting in the "skill" areas of the country. For the Southern schools, it seems like going to play in the North is a good recruiting ploy (parents like trips around NYC, players want a different pace of life, etc.) and they can dip into what the NE part of the country is known for producing: Linebackers, tough Running Backs and Big Old Lineman.

Barring the pipe dream of the CAA coming to immediate fruition, if I were our AD I would begin immediately investigating Danefan's proposal. Alas, I am not...and Danefan is not...and we have a suspect AD with no real motivation.

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 9th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Ok, so the North teams will play each other every year and play 3 of the southern teams on a rotating basis.

It will never work. How can you crown a true champion if everyone doesn't play each other, plus there are to many teams.....oh wait

danefan
September 9th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Ok, so the North teams will play each other every year and play 3 of the southern teams on a rotating basis.

It will never work. How can you crown a true champion if everyone doesn't play each other, plus there are to many teams.....oh wait

xlolx

Seriously though I think the league might end up being a 2+ bid league anyway.

I realize that for UNH and Maine it could be a perceived step down, but I would expect their OOC to be an FCS and 2 CAA (or 3 in 12-game season) teams each year. That's a pretty solid schedule I think.

For Albany I wouldn't at all mind seeing this schedule:

@Army
vs. Old Dominion
@ Delaware
@Fordham
vs. UNH
@ Coastal
vs. Stony Brook
vs. CCSU
@ Liberty
vs. Maine
@ VMI

9-2 or 8-3 with losses vs. Army, @ Delaware and one in league probably gets an at-large if its doesn't get the AQ. Especially considering by the time this got on its feat the playoffs would be at 22 or 24.

DSUrocks07
September 9th, 2011, 09:20 AM
I was against the Big South when it was offered to Albany. I had more faith in our AD at that point to make something happen with our peer schools in the northeast.

Well - that didn't happen and I have absolutely zero faith in our AD.

If the Big South offered today I'd say without a doubt Albany should jump on it. And do its best to bring along Maine, New Hampshire, CCSU and Fordham.

Big South
Coastal Carolina
Gardner-Webb
Charleston Southern
Liberty
Presbyterian
VMI

Big North
Stony Brook
Albany
CCSU
Maine
New Hampshire
Fordham

Hey we want in too xthumbsupx

Maybe if Coastal ends up in the SoCon...xshhhx

Dane96
September 9th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I'd want to escape the MEAC too after watching last nights debacle of FAMU-Hampton. What a bunch of nonsense both from coaching and, more importantly, reffing.

I think DSU would be a fine fit...and maybe it would get you your stadium upgrades as well.

Danefan...your schedule just made me feel funny in all the right places. Don't tease me again, it makes me quesion my first 37 years. ;)

danefan
September 9th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I'd want to escape the MEAC too after watching last nights debacle of FAMU-Hampton. What a bunch of nonsense both from coaching and, more importantly, reffing.

I think DSU would be a fine fit...and maybe it would get you your stadium upgrades as well.

Danefan...your schedule just made me feel funny in all the right places. Don't tease me again, it makes me quesion my first 37 years. ;)

I really don't think its all that difficult to get that done. All you have to do is convince UNH and Maine that they are better off aligning with the rest of the American East playing football schools and this is only way that's going to happen.

Fordham is in.
CCSU would undoubtedly jump.
SBU is already in.
The Big South would love to get another NYC team and expand into markets currently unknown. Trips to New England in the fall really are nice.

The administration is there - let the Big South run it.
The AQ is there.
The travel costs would decrease for the Northern teams (Maine would probably only have 1 or 2 conference flights per year).
The travel costs would likely increase for the Southern teams by 1 or 2 games per year, but I think they'd be on board for the added exposure in the NE.

The more I think about this, the more I wonder why this isn't happening.

UAalum72
September 9th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Would Rhode Island want into that, or would they be happy sticking with a reduced NEC?

Sly Fox
September 9th, 2011, 03:50 PM
If you wonder why something like this isn't already happening, you need to meet Kyle the Kommissioner. He's better at killing conferences (Anybody remember the Southwest Conference?) than building them.

I think most of the Southern schools would be down with the possible exceptions of cash-strapped Presby & Chuck South.

UAalum72
April 10th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Groundbreaking ceremony next Tuesday, April 17
http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-hires-Baltimore-firm-for-football-stadium-3471660.php
http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/blog/2012/04/baltimore-contractor-ualbany-sports.html

49RFootballNow
April 10th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Groundbreaking ceremony next Tuesday, April 17
http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-hires-Baltimore-firm-for-football-stadium-3471660.php
http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/blog/2012/04/baltimore-contractor-ualbany-sports.html

Congratulations!

hidalgo
April 10th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Congrats!!!!!!..........we are trying to compete in the NEC against you without a stadium......a 1950 scoreboard and two newspapers in a major city that do not cover our football games at Duquesne!!! lol!!!!

Dane96
April 10th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Hey, we did it for 40 years with a high school pasture, wooden benches bolted into concrete steps, and horrific game days conditions (something the Dukes learned the hard-way).

If UA can do it...so can Duquesne.

hidalgo
April 11th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Yes but I dont think my butt can take another 40 years of concrete benches!!!!!!!! Albany is the Benchmark in the NEC!!!!

DFW HOYA
April 11th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Congrats!!!!!!..........we are trying to compete in the NEC against you without a stadium......a 1950 scoreboard and two newspapers in a major city that do not cover our football games at Duquesne!!! lol!!!!

Rooney Field >>> MSF (but not by much)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5aDKqsf1RVE/SpSMgdAzrwI/AAAAAAAAAFQ/yTpXuof1UQU/s400/msf5.jpg

M Ruler
April 11th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Yes but I dont think my butt can take another 40 years of concrete benches!!!!!!!! Albany is the Benchmark in the NEC!!!!

It may be your year Duquesne. Albany breaking in a "new" qb.

No doubt as a public university with a new stadium we will be bringing in superior athletes. My hope is the CAA comes calling.

MplsBison
April 11th, 2012, 01:00 PM

But hey, that's life in Division I football. Am I right?

401ks
April 11th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Rooney Field >>> MSF (but not by much)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5aDKqsf1RVE/SpSMgdAzrwI/AAAAAAAAAFQ/yTpXuof1UQU/s400/msf5.jpg

In no way is Rooney a great stadium, and I obviously am not a totally objective observer. However, Rooney is a wonderful place to watch a football game - a quaint, on-campus field where every spectator is right on top of the action and has a great bluff-top view as well! (By the way, the scoreboard is less than a year old. It's just not a 21st century video extravaganza.)

I've been to Georgetown's MSF. The only thing that MSF has over Rooney is that MSF is in the middle of Georgetown's wonderful campus. Other than that, it's a pit in the middle of Georgetown's wonderful campus.

But MSF >>> than Albany's current cow pasture (by a MILE!). I have to congratulate the Albany folks on FINALLY getting it done! xsmileyclapx

401ks
April 11th, 2012, 02:19 PM

xeyebrowx

Hidalgo, you need to start sitting on the HOME side of the field!

xthumbsupx

hidalgo
April 12th, 2012, 01:24 AM
Its usually empty over there easier to watch................the one thing about Rooney is we win there!!!!!!!! Didnt realize the scoreboard was new.........must of been one on inventory since the 80's we got cheap. The views are beautiful and it is a unique setting. Have alot of respect for Albany.......glad we have them at our 1 of a kind place.

danefan
April 17th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Live stream of the stadium ground breaking today at 11am.

http://www.ualbanysports.com/newMediaPlayer/sl/console.htm?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=15800&id=472741&KEY=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=&type=live&oemid=15800

DetroitFlyer
April 17th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Its usually empty over there easier to watch................the one thing about Rooney is we win there!!!!!!!! Didnt realize the scoreboard was new.........must of been one on inventory since the 80's we got cheap. The views are beautiful and it is a unique setting. Have alot of respect for Albany.......glad we have them at our 1 of a kind place.

I know one team that will be working to change the winning thing this season. As a visitor, I have always sat on the cement side at Rooney. I plan to be back in my hometown again this year to see the Flyers emerge with a victory this time.

danefan
April 17th, 2012, 11:43 AM
http://p.twimg.com/AqsYxcpCIAATU3q.jpg

http://p.twimg.com/AqschBqCQAAtp9v.jpg

Dane96
April 17th, 2012, 04:13 PM
As expected...a new $2 million campaign, which has already raised $1million. The campaign will be utilized for Field Naming rights; BOB FORD FIELD!

Bogus Megapardus
April 17th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Fordham is in.

I'd have agreed completely before February. But now that the Patriot has voted to go full scholarship, some folks connected with Fordham are suggesting that the Rams just might stick around in PL football. While I tend to think that Fordham will move quickly if given a better offer, others now seem to favor the "old school" touch that the PL provides.

In any event, I think it's safe to say that there will be more than a few Patriot opponents at the new Albany stadium in the near future.

M Ruler
April 18th, 2012, 08:52 AM
I'd have agreed completely before February. But now that the Patriot has voted to go full scholarship, some folks connected with Fordham are suggesting that the Rams just might stick around in PL football. While I tend to think that Fordham will move quickly if given a better offer, others now seem to favor the "old school" touch that the PL provides.

In any event, I think it's safe to say that there will be more than a few Patriot opponents at the new Albany stadium in the near future.

In addition to the Patriot League teams, I am hoping for many many CAA (call us already) opponents including Stony Brook as well

Seawolf97
April 18th, 2012, 02:13 PM
I would like to see another home and away with Albany. That playoff game last year was great. And congrats on ground breaking . I hope the State keeps to its schedule and gets it down quickly.

M Ruler
April 18th, 2012, 03:52 PM
I would like to see another home and away with Albany. That playoff game last year was great. And congrats on ground breaking . I hope the State keeps to its schedule and gets it down quickly.

Seawolf 97 I agree 100%. That game was spectacular. I knew that we had witnessed the best of what a "new" UA-SBU rivalry could yield.

In the old days under Kornhauser SBU was an automatic W on our schedule, now its a war. Only gonna get better with our new facility and new athletes that comes with a new facility.

Lets just hope we are slugging it out in the CAA. They need to invite both programs.

DFW HOYA
April 18th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Just remember, ground-breaking is one thing, ground-building something else entirely.

Seven years ago this month:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/gu/galleries/0405_MSFGroundbreaking/groundbreak25-lg.jpg

danefan
April 18th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Just remember, ground-breaking is one thing, ground-building something else entirely.

Seven years ago this month:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/gu/galleries/0405_MSFGroundbreaking/groundbreak25-lg.jpg

Did someone put a pile of dirt inside for that press conference?

The actual dirt moving has already begun in Albany.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/543557_337007616358669_113363358723097_897562_1859 110062_n.jpg

DFW HOYA
April 18th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Did someone put a pile of dirt inside for that press conference?

Actually, yes. A heavy rain storm turned the field to mush and the ceremonial dirt was moved inside to a tent.

danefan
April 19th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Actually, yes. A heavy rain storm turned the field to mush and the ceremonial dirt was moved inside to a tent.

That makes sense. I thought for a second that they didn't want to actually dig up the field because they weren't sure if they were going to build it.