PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Football TV Contract: Two Games

DFW HOYA
June 22nd, 2011, 10:51 AM
That's right, two games. Probably Lafayette-Lehigh and a Colgate nonconference game on tape delay.

OK, so it's on a national network, but two?

http://www.patriotleague.org/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/062211aaa.html

NHwildEcat
June 22nd, 2011, 10:55 AM
I don't think that 2 games is worthy of all the words that they used to announce it...xlolx

carney2
June 22nd, 2011, 10:58 AM
The most disappointing part of this to me is the announcement that the men's basketball championship will shift from ESPN to one of those obscure CBS off-brand outlets that only a very few people receive. Seems like a march in the wrong direction.

DFW HOYA
June 22nd, 2011, 11:02 AM
The most disappointing part of this to me is the announcement that the men's basketball championship will shift from ESPN to one of those obscure CBS off-brand outlets that only a very few people receive. Seems like a march in the wrong direction.

And as ESPN goes, expect zero coverage of non-ESPN conferences and their basketball tournaments on Sports Center.

(And I guess this rules out that debate a while ago about College Gameday at Laf/Leh 150...)

crusader11
June 22nd, 2011, 11:04 AM
Holy Cross vs. UMass will be one of the games televised.

aceinthehole
June 22nd, 2011, 11:47 AM
Must be discouranging for PL fans especially after the NEC just announced plans to televise five football games on NEC-TV this season, with each of the league's nine members guaranteed at least one exposure. NEC-TV will partner with MSG and FCS in order to give the games a strong platform in the New York City market as well as nationally.

WestCoastAggie
June 22nd, 2011, 11:48 AM
Question:

Do the member schools retain the ability to have their games air on their local TV Channels?

crusader11
June 22nd, 2011, 11:55 AM
NEC-TV??? Never heard of it.

colorless raider
June 22nd, 2011, 11:58 AM
That's right, two games. Probably Lafayette-Lehigh and a Colgate nonconference game on tape delay.

OK, so it's on a national network, but two?

http://www.patriotleague.org/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/062211aaa.html

The commissioner is a joke. Gets nothing done.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 22nd, 2011, 11:59 AM
And as ESPN goes, expect zero coverage of non-ESPN conferences and their basketball tournaments on Sports Center.

What, they're going to reduce it to zero mentions from two?

Franks Tanks
June 22nd, 2011, 12:00 PM
Must be discouranging for PL fans especially after the NEC just announced plans to televise five football games on NEC-TV this season, with each of the league's nine members guaranteed at least one exposure. NEC-TV will partner with MSG and FCS in order to give the games a strong platform in the New York City market as well as nationally.

What is NEC-TV?

Lafayette has every game televised in several states.

"The Lafayette Sports Network, a national leader in Division I FCS television coverage, will televise all 11 regular-season Lafayette football games for the eighth straight year. Now in its 14th year, LSN has become a staple for Leopard fans both regionally and across the country. LSN's traditional live distribution to more than 10 million homes on RCN-4 and WBPH-60 covering all of Eastern Pennsylvania will be enhanced this season by live coverage on all of RCN's cable systems in major markets along the East coast. RCN subscribers in Boston, New York City, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C. can watch all 11 Lafayette games on RCN-8. Nationally, LSN telecasts will be picked up for the 10th straight year by DIRECTV and DISH Network outlets, available to more than 90 million viewers via the Mid Atlantic Sports Network (MASN). MASN, which is available regionally and nationally on DIRECTV channel 640 and DISH Network channel 432, is the official television home of the Baltimore Orioles, Washington Nationals and Baltimore Ravens and reaches nearly 6 million homes in a seven-state region from Harrisburg, Pa. to Charlotte, N.C. A complete broadcast schedule follows."

Basically just Lafayette has more games televised, in more area's, than the entire NEC.

Franks Tanks
June 22nd, 2011, 12:01 PM
Question:

Do the member schools retain the ability to have their games air on their local TV Channels?

Yes- Lafayette and Lehigh have all games televised locally. I don't know about the other league schools.

aceinthehole
June 22nd, 2011, 12:26 PM
NEC-TV just means conference produced telecasts. The games are carried by MSG Network (NY area 11+ million subscribers, plus available on satellite nationally) and Fox College Sports (Nationally available on cable outlets to 65+ million households), as well as additional local/regional networks.

No NEC teams produces their own telecasts for football, such as Lafayette does, but yes the NEC conference coverage is much better than what the PL has to offer.

WestCoastAggie
June 22nd, 2011, 12:33 PM
The commissioner is a joke. Gets nothing done.

You all could have Dennis Thomas as your Commissioner.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 22nd, 2011, 12:34 PM
You all could have Dennis Thomas as your Commissioner.

Don't even joke about the "Academic Heritage" Bowl like that!! xsmhx

crusader11
June 22nd, 2011, 12:39 PM
but yes the NEC conference coverage is much better than what the PL has to offer.

Jealous!!!!!!

Franks Tanks
June 22nd, 2011, 12:41 PM
NEC-TV just means conference produced telecasts. The games are carried by MSG Network (NY area 11+ million subscribers, plus available on satellite nationally) and Fox College Sports (Nationally available on cable outlets to 65+ million households), as well as additional local/regional networks.

No NEC teams produces their own telecasts for football, such as Lafayette does, but yes the NEC conference coverage is much better than what the PL has to offer.

It is a nice deal for the NEC, but do any NEC schools have their own TV deal? This is a small supplement to what is already in place at individual schools.

CFBfan
June 22nd, 2011, 12:43 PM

ace, even Gtown had multiple games broadcast last year on MSG/FIOS1 in the NY Metropolitan area. take it easy it's not the NEC on CBS Sports or ESPN Sat nite college football. seems everyone's anxious to take shots at the PL.
it would be good for ALL if the NEC actually had a nice TV package just as it would be great for ALL if the PL had a nice package

DFW HOYA
June 22nd, 2011, 12:54 PM
ace, even Gtown had multiple games broadcast last year on MSG/FIOS1 in the NY Metropolitan area. take it easy it's not the NEC on CBS Sports or ESPN Sat nite college football. seems everyone's anxious to take shots at the PL.
it would be good for ALL if the NEC actually had a nice TV package just as it would be great for ALL if the PL had a nice package

If you are not a Verizon FiOs subscriber, there is no transmission of the game avauilable--it is literally closed-circuit. It cannot be seen on any cable or satellite service, much less broadcast TV. How many PL fans even have FiOS? If you don't, Georgetown fans see one game a year, usually on tape delay, when it plays Lafayette.

The NEC package is far more visible and has carriage in more homes than FiOs ever will.

carney2
June 22nd, 2011, 12:56 PM
What is NEC-TV?

Lafayette has every game televised in several states.

"The Lafayette Sports Network, a national leader in Division I FCS television coverage, will televise all 11 regular-season Lafayette football games for the eighth straight year. Now in its 14th year, LSN has become a staple for Leopard fans both regionally and across the country. LSN's traditional live distribution to more than 10 million homes on RCN-4 and WBPH-60 covering all of Eastern Pennsylvania will be enhanced this season by live coverage on all of RCN's cable systems in major markets along the East coast. RCN subscribers in Boston, New York City, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C. can watch all 11 Lafayette games on RCN-8. Nationally, LSN telecasts will be picked up for the 10th straight year by DIRECTV and DISH Network outlets, available to more than 90 million viewers via the Mid Atlantic Sports Network (MASN). MASN, which is available regionally and nationally on DIRECTV channel 640 and DISH Network channel 432, is the official television home of the Baltimore Orioles, Washington Nationals and Baltimore Ravens and reaches nearly 6 million homes in a seven-state region from Harrisburg, Pa. to Charlotte, N.C. A complete broadcast schedule follows."

Basically just Lafayette has more games televised, in more area's, than the entire NEC.

What does this mean for my central New Jersey friends? The Lafayette games have traditionally been overruled by RCN's contract with Princeton in their area. Will they now be getting the Lafayette games instead of, or in addition to, or will it be the same-old, same-old Tabby substitution?

Franks Tanks
June 22nd, 2011, 01:24 PM
What does this mean for my central New Jersey friends? The Lafayette games have traditionally been overruled by RCN's contract with Princeton in their area. Will they now be getting the Lafayette games instead of, or in addition to, or will it be the same-old, same-old Tabby substitution?

I don't know. This was pulled from the game notes of last year's Lehigh game, so it was the 2010 set-up. I couldn't find anything that stated the arrangement will change in anyway for 2011.

LUHawker
June 22nd, 2011, 01:25 PM
Seems to me that this is a supplemental deal to what already exists for individual schools. It isn't much, for sure, but is a baby-step.

aceinthehole
June 22nd, 2011, 02:45 PM
It is a nice deal for the NEC, but do any NEC schools have their own TV deal? This is a small supplement to what is already in place at individual schools.

Not for football. NEC-produced football games are sometimes picked up by local outlets, but no school produces its own football game for TV coverage.

In basketball, some NEC schools such as CCSU and Quinnipiac, do produce games in addition to the conference deal. QU has about 3 basketball and ice hockey games on NESN. CCSU had a deal with Cox3 (regional cable) to televise home conference games.

Outside of Lafayette and possible Lehigh, PL football coverage on a regional basis is practically non-existant. The NEC does a far better job than the PL in TV coverage and that sentiment is shared by many PL fans here.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 22nd, 2011, 02:58 PM
Outside of Lafayette and possible Lehigh, PL football coverage on a regional basis is practically non-existant. The NEC does a far better job than the PL in TV coverage and that sentiment is shared by many PL fans here.

Holy Cross, Colgate, Lehigh and Lafayette games are all covered by local affiliates and (I believe) are all produced by the schools themselves.

Fordham has had some of their games covered by local NYC broadcast affiliates in the past.

Georgetown games last year were broadcast regionally by Verzion/DC.

Critique the deals if you must, but calling it "non-existent" is incorrect. There is a decent amount of local coverage for each game, and all of Lafayette's (MASN) and most of Lehigh's (Fox College Sports) games are covered nationally every year. That's above and beyond the nascent CBS College Sports deal and well beyond the five games covered by the NEC, - since we're engaged in this pissing contest.

I'm happy that PL and NEC games are on TV at all. Why try to compare? It makes you seem like DF.

Franks Tanks
June 22nd, 2011, 03:01 PM
Not for football. NEC-produced football games are sometimes picked up by local outlets, but no school produces its own football game for TV coverage.

In basketball, some NEC schools such as CCSU and Quinnipiac, do produce games in addition to the conference deal. QU has about 3 basketball and ice hockey games on NESN. CCSU had a deal with Cox3 (regional cable) to televise home conference games.

So one NEC game per week will be on TV. Glad you interrupted a thread, in passive aggressive style, that has nothing to do with the NEC to tell us that.

Gater
June 22nd, 2011, 03:33 PM
Time Warner has produced and broadcast all of Colgate's home games since 2005. They are shown regionally and sometimes rebroadcast nationally.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 22nd, 2011, 03:59 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/06/patriot-league-cuts-ties-with-espn-for.html

My article mostly deals with the basketball aspects of this announcement, but there is a rumor that there's going to be an announcement very, very soon concerning the football games that are going to be covered by CBS College Sports.

One thing that really intrigued me was that "at least" two games were to be covered. Not "exactly two, here's what they are". "At least" two.

Go...gate
June 22nd, 2011, 05:15 PM

I thought the same thing. Always enjoyed that Friday afternoon matchup.

UAalum72
June 22nd, 2011, 05:21 PM
A couple of Albany home games are telecast on the Time-Warner local channel, and may be picked up by T-W in the visitor's market, but nothing on real networks.

Dane96
June 22nd, 2011, 10:52 PM
nm

DFW HOYA
June 23rd, 2011, 10:20 AM
Two games in 2011: UMass-Holy Cross and Lehigh-Colgate. For everyone else, yawn.

http://www.patriotleague.org/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/062311aac.html

RichH2
June 23rd, 2011, 10:39 AM
Pleased for us but I do hope that deal can be expanded over the next few seasons to 4 or 5 games. Advantage will still be with those that produce their own tv games but it should include more of the other PL teams.

carney2
June 23rd, 2011, 03:09 PM
Two games in 2011: UMass-Holy Cross and Lehigh-Colgate. For everyone else, yawn.

http://www.patriotleague.org/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/062311aac.html

A I stated on the Lafayette board, "...25% of the available TV spots turned over to a CAA program. Somebody should be hung."

Lehigh Football Nation
June 23rd, 2011, 03:16 PM
A I stated on the Lafayette board, "...25% of the available TV spots turned over to a CAA program. Somebody should be hung."

It's an improvement over last year, when 50% of the available spots went to Cornell.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 23rd, 2011, 04:31 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/06/hate-gate-goes-national.html

To those that criticize the selection of games, I ask - exactly which games would you have chosen instead? Rules: it can't have an existing conflict with CBS College Sports.

Choosing the 9/1 UMass/Holy Cross game for CBS College Sports, incidentally, was a complete lay-up for everyone involved. They moved the game to Thursday night, meaning there was zero competition for that slot on the network and UMass' basketball conference (the A-10) and future football conference (the MAC) both have games televised on CBS Sports Network.

carney2
June 24th, 2011, 08:07 AM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/06/hate-gate-goes-national.html

To those that criticize the selection of games, I ask - exactly which games would you have chosen instead?

I have no preference for games. I merely object to yielding any of a very limited number of TV slots to a non-conference school. I also object to moving the men's basketball championship game to a TV location that is not generally available in most households. Both you, LFN, and the Allentown Mourning Crawl's chief Squawker, Keith Groller (http://www.mcall.com/sports/mc-finetuning-0623-20110623,0,3148950.column) are lauding this as a great leap forward. I don't agree. At the moment I will not be able to see any of these games, and, off the top of my head, I don't know anyone who will. Until CBS can get their off-brand outlets added to basic cable this is much ado about nothing.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 24th, 2011, 09:32 AM
At the moment I will not be able to see any of these games, and, off the top of my head, I don't know anyone who will. Until CBS can get their off-brand outlets added to basic cable this is much ado about nothing.

I very much agree. I mentioned that access to basic/intermediate cable for CBS Sports Network that was my biggest concern in blog posting #1 on the TV Deal:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/06/patriot-league-cuts-ties-with-espn-for.html

Having said that, I do sort-of understand the selection of games because UMass/Holy Cross is on at 7PM on a Thursday and neatly fills a programming hole on CBS Sports Network. That game needs to be seen in that context. Would it be better if it was a Patriot League league game, like Lafayette/Georgetown on 9/10? Sure. Was it even a possibility for CBS Sports Network? I argue that based on publicly available information, no, it wasn't.

This begs other questions. Would other Patriot League schools be willing to give up coverage to schedule some contests on Thursday nights? Would the teams without permanent stadium lights (Lehigh and Fordham) be able to truck in temporary lights for a Thursday broadcast? Thursday night games are much more valuable to CBS Sports Network than games that will be competing against Army or Navy home games, never mind Big Ten, ACC and SEC games on ESPN and the broadcast networks.

TheBisonator
June 24th, 2011, 11:27 AM

The MVFC has the same kind of deal with FCS, but it's in conjunction with FSN and there's 9 games per season.

ngineer
June 24th, 2011, 10:15 PM
It seems like added coverage for Lehigh. Lehigh already has their deals with WFMZ and Fox Sports. The CBS deal was for various sports: Football, Lacrosse, Basketball. The two football games will be televized, nationally, to areas the existing deals don't reach.

TheValleyRaider
June 25th, 2011, 12:42 AM
I have no preference for games. I merely object to yielding any of a very limited number of TV slots to a non-conference school. I also object to moving the men's basketball championship game to a TV location that is not generally available in most households. Both you, LFN, and the Allentown Mourning Crawl's chief Squawker, Keith Groller (http://www.mcall.com/sports/mc-finetuning-0623-20110623,0,3148950.column) are lauding this as a great leap forward. I don't agree. At the moment I will not be able to see any of these games, and, off the top of my head, I don't know anyone who will. Until CBS can get their off-brand outlets added to basic cable this is much ado about nothing.

Yeah, this is the downside for me. Normally I'm not opposed to putting sports on networks other than ESPN, but usually that's when I'm talking about professional leagues or major college conferences that can drive viewship rather than the other way around. In this case, the BBall title game being on ESPN was one of the League's most valuable assets in terms of exposure, and unless CBS College makes its way to a more basic cable package (For comparison, with my provider AT&T U-verse, CBS-CS is on a more exclusive package than Versus, forget the myriad ESPN options), this is a tough step for the League to be taking