PDA

View Full Version : CCU Shares The 'Chicken Curse'

TexasTerror
March 12th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Funny article that pokes fun of South Carolina's spreading the infamous 'Chicken Curse' down to that of the Chants of CCU. Apparently, all that is bad is blamed on the 'Chicken Curse' at South Carolina and this article depicts all the things that have happened that do not make much sense that have haunted CCU including that infamous play that left 1.5 seconds left on the clock for Chuck South...

TERRY MASSEY
SPORTS COLUMNIST

For decades, South Carolina fans have complained of the "Chicken Curse," an inexplicable but very believable phenomenon that says the Gamecocks are jinxed.

From USC's No. 2-ranked, 9-0 football team's upset loss to Navy in 1984 to the basketball team's baffling back-to-back defeats to Coppin State and Richmond in the first round of the NCAA tournament in the late 1990s, all things bad are blamed on the Chicken Curse.

Now, with former little-sister school Coastal Carolina growing into national sports prominence since splitting with USC in 1993, many are beginning to wonder whether the Chicken Curse also applies to the Chanticleers, the top rooster in the barnyard, according to Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales."

Even if you don't believe in ghosts, the recent evidence has been down-right scary for CCU.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/sports/14081718.htm

March 12th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Interesting article... (love how the writer gets the nomenclature correct!)

"If the football team had won that last game, CCU would have joined Texas as the only Division I schools to have a 10-game winner in football, 20-game winner in basketball and a 50-game winner in baseball in the 2005 calendar year. Once again, oh-so close.

So is it a case of bittersweet success or the Chicken Curse at work? Only time will tell, but the good news for Coastal is it's much better to get close and fall short than to not get close at all."

The Gadfly
March 13th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Thank you Massey for opening up this discussion again. Just another reason we should change our mascot xcoffeex . I still like Achaeans, Sandlappers, Neon Thunder, Putt-Putters, or Shaggers.

CoastalFan2005
March 13th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Just another reason we should change our mascot

Sorry, but :boring: :deadhorse

Can we not start that again?

dbackjon
March 13th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Sorry, but :boring: :deadhorse

Can we not start that again?

You guys are changing your mascot? :D

blukeys
March 13th, 2006, 08:57 PM
What's the problem with Chickens? Hang in there CCU.

Jaques
March 14th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Thank you Massey for opening up this discussion again. Just another reason we should change our mascot xcoffeex . I still like Achaeans, Sandlappers, Neon Thunder, Putt-Putters, or Shaggers.

It's not a reason for changing the mascot, but since we're throwing out suggestions, don't forget about Sand Fleas, Sea Foam and of course Hermit Crabs. :D

OL FU
March 14th, 2006, 02:39 PM
It's not a reason for changing the mascot, but since we're throwing out suggestions, don't forget about Sand Fleas, Sea Foam and of course Hermit Crabs. :D

Palmetto Bugs,
Coral Snakes
and
Crabcakes.:D

MYTAPPY
March 14th, 2006, 02:57 PM
What about The Salt Water Taffeys or the Waccamaws.
The Conway Critters has a nice ring to it.

The Gadfly
March 14th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Coastal Carolina Carpetbaggers

OL FU
March 14th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Coastal Carolina Carpetbaggers

:D :D :D :D

SoCon48
March 15th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Much ado about nothing. It all boils down to one simple explanation: NOBODY wants to be called a chicken. With bird flu looming on the horizon, it's even more true.
Paaaark paaark paar paaaark!

Jaques
March 15th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Much ado about nothing. It all boils down to one simple explanation: NOBODY wants to be called a chicken. With bird flu looming on the horizon, it's even more true.
Paaaark paaark paar paaaark!

Wha..?? What was that??? An Appalachian using Shakespeare??? Oh my God! My ears doth deceive me! Well in this case my eyes.

Anyway...there always the Gay Dolphins, No Seeums, or the Pavillion...oh wait, no...that's being torn down...I got it - The CCU Runaways on Ocean Boulevard.

Oh...thanks Ralph!

OL FU
March 15th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Wha..?? What was that??? An Appalachian using Shakespeare??? Oh my God! My ears doth deceive me! Well in this case my eyes.

Anyway...there always the Gay Dolphins, No Seeums, or the Pavillion...oh wait, no...that's being torn down...I got it - The CCU Runaways on Ocean Boulevard.

Oh...thanks Ralph!

What a bummer? In the days, we used to say that 90% of all South Carolinians lost their virginity at Mrytle Beach and I suppose we could have added that 90% of those started such interaction at the Pavillion. :(

MYTAPPY
March 15th, 2006, 03:34 PM
No more crusing the Pavillion....:bawling:
Don't tell me they are getting rid of the Gay Dolphin??

CoastalFan2005
March 15th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Yeah, Burroughs & Chapin (who are to Myrtle Beach what Satan is to Hell) have decided, in their infinite wisdom, to close the MB Pavilion and replace it (replace meaning "rape the property") with high rises, condos, restaurants, shops, etc., in order to attract a higher "year-round tourism crowd" to Myrtle Beach. I personally think it's a bunch of BS, and if you agree, there has been a petition started to save the Pavilion. you can sign it by going to http://www.petitiononline.com/mbpav/petition.html

For more info regarding the closing, visit http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/business/special_packages/theme_parks/

SoCon48
March 16th, 2006, 10:11 AM
What a bummer? In the days, we used to say that 90% of all South Carolinians lost their virginity at Mrytle Beach and I suppose we could have added that 90% of those started such interaction at the Pavillion. :(

Hmm. Does that include the " Bill Clinton" kind of sex? If so that would explain the derivation of sandlapper!

xlolx xlolx :nod: :nod:

SoCon48
March 16th, 2006, 10:14 AM

Umm ASU had one of the best English Lit departments in the South during the days of Graydon Poe Eggers, Ruby Akers, Daisy Eggers, et. al. in addition to a great Drama Dept.
I can quote ol' Bill Shakey all day. FW ever IW.xcoffeex :read:

Jaques
March 17th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Umm ASU had one of the best English Lit departments in the South during the days of Graydon Poe Eggers, Ruby Akers, Daisy Eggers, et. al. in addition to a great Drama Dept.
I can quote ol' Bill Shakey all day. FW ever IW.xcoffeex :read:

I know...just a little joke:o

cool...69 posts :p