PDA

View Full Version : Widmyer Shines in Wofford Scrimmage

TexasTerror
March 11th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Ben Widmyer looks ready to take over the reigns of the Wofford Terriers. What's the word in Spartanburg about Widmyer's readiness to lead the Terriers? He did great in very limited action last year (6 of 10, 92 yards and 1 TD with not INTs). What's Collier up to?

SPARTANBURG, SC – The Wofford football team went through a 95-minute intrasquad scrimmage Saturday afternoon at Gibbs Stadium.

The Terriers ran 70 offensive plays with quarterback Ben Widmyer accounting for all four touchdowns. Widmyer, who backed up starter Josh Collier in 2005, scored on two short runs as well as a long run in excess of 50 yards. Widmyer also threw a 70-yard scoring pass to wide receiver Jimbo Robinson.

“We ran the ball hard and we made some plays,” said offensive coordinator Wade Lang.

Tight end Fenn Allen was also impressive in the scrimmage, making several catches in heavy traffic over the middle.

http://wofford.org/athletics/content.asp?id=2006

walliver
March 11th, 2006, 07:11 PM
I didn't have a chance to go to the scrimmage today, but I will offer my general observations.

Widmyer is much more your typical Wofford quarterbacck, small, quick and reads the option very well. During his freshman year, he made a number of great plays, but also tended to put the ball on the ground a little too much. Hopefully, with a year of experience this won't be a problem.

Collier, on the other hand, may be the better athlete, but he doesn't seem to have a the same feel for the option that Wofford fans expect. At times last year, the triple option seemed to play out in slow motion, giving the defense time to get outside. Once Collier finds an opening, he is probably the faster runner. I've heard that even though he didn't score, he looked good at the scrimmage today.

It wouldn't surprise me if we don't have a return to the two quarterback system (which I personally dislike, during the Zollman-Rogers era, I attended a number of games where the quarterback switch after the second quarter seemed to take away the offense's momentum).

catamount man
March 11th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Kevious Johnson is back as well, making Wofford "one to watch" in the SoCon. See you terriers October 28th! GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

DogFan
March 12th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Widmyer is in fact as fast or maybe faster than Collier. As a true freshman he made some great plays in limited playing time. Wofford may start the season with a QB rotation but whoever plays better early will get a majority of the playing time. The offense was not run smoothly last year.
The timing of the option was poor and even for Wofford standards the passing was poor. Wofford has an outstanding young tight end in Fenn Allen and they want to get him the ball.Last year the Terriers went 6-5 with some really poor offensive play. If the QB position improves they should be able to improve on that.