PDA

View Full Version : HBC's

SoCon48
March 11th, 2006, 05:08 AM
If NC A&T were to join the SoCon, would it be the first to break from an HBC conference?

Hansel
March 11th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Tenn St

89Hen
March 11th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Savannah State being the only other I-AA HBCU outside of the MEAC or SWAC, but I don't think they were ever in either.

bigbluetiger
March 11th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Tenn St

Is an HBCU in the Ohio Valley Conference.

aceinthehole
March 13th, 2006, 10:29 AM
In the past, Delaware State has had interest in joining the Northeast Conference (NEC).

R.A.
March 16th, 2006, 05:11 AM
Tenn State is in the OVC. They keep their ties to other HBCUs very strong however.

tsutiger
March 16th, 2006, 09:11 AM
If NC A&T were to join the SoCon, would it be the first to break from an HBC conference?

Actually they would be the first to BREAK FROM AN HBCU conference and join a PWC. TSU never belonged to the MEAC or SWAC. TSU belonged to the Midwestern Conference in the 50's and early 60's, but played as an independent from 1965 to 1988 until we joined the OVC.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 16th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Actually they would be the first to BREAK FROM AN HBCU conference and join a PWC. TSU never belonged to the MEAC or SWAC. TSU belonged to the Midwestern Conference in the 50's and early 60's, but played as an independent from 1965 to 1988 until we joined the OVC.

Texas Southern was a member of the Midwestern Conference before joining the SWAC in the 50's.

SoCon48
March 16th, 2006, 10:08 AM

Thanks, that's what I was getting at.

tsutiger
March 17th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Texas Southern was a member of the Midwestern Conference before joining the SWAC in the 50's.

As was Kentucky State, Central State, Grambling & Lincoln. But all those schools joined Black College conferences after the Midwest. Only TSU went Indy. But what he was asking was has a HBCU left a Black College conference ie. MEAC, SWAC, CIAA, SIAC, Midwestern to join a conference of PWC's. The answer is no. The only HBCU's to play in PWC conferences are TSU in the OVC, Lincoln in the MIC, and West Virginia State in the WVIAC. However all three were independent for a number of years before joining.

HIU 93
March 17th, 2006, 12:32 PM
As was Kentucky State, Central State, Grambling & Lincoln. But all those schools joined Black College conferences after the Midwest. Only TSU went Indy. But what he was asking was has a HBCU left a Black College conference ie. MEAC, SWAC, CIAA, SIAC, Midwestern to join a conference of PWC's. The answer is no. The only HBCU's to play in PWC conferences are TSU in the OVC, Lincoln in the MIC, and West Virginia State in the WVIAC. However all three were independent for a number of years before joining.

Bluefield State is also in the WVIAC

mikebigg
March 17th, 2006, 01:13 PM

As a youngster growing up, I used to always look forward the Grambling/TnSU game! When it was our home game, I picked cotton, fed neighbors pigs, sold pecans and any other small chore to make enuff money for this game. These were the mid to late 60's when folk in rural north La still had their small farms and picked cotton by hand... my Great uncle had about 45 acres and paid $0.02 per pound. We had to pick cotton in the evening after school and all day Saturday. It was worth it...

When I was 12 years old, I saved my cash and purchased a battery operated radio that could catch WLAC in Nashville (provided it was a clear night and I placed it at the correct angle). Man that thing would fade in and out on some nights in the middle of a drive. Plus with some of the "exploits" of Coach Big John Merritt, you never knew for sure if you really won until the score was printed in the paper (lol).

I really miss that rivalry!!!!!!