PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the I-AA QBs - Eugene Not Even #1 in SWAC

TexasTerror
March 10th, 2006, 12:34 PM
This comes from a pay-site related to the NFL Draft...

Rounds listed in ()

7 Erik Meyer, Eastern Washington (5)
13 Ingle Martin, Furman (6-7)
14 Travis Lulay. Montana St (6-7)
15 Tavaris Jackson, Alabama St (7)
20 Barrick Nealy, Texas St (7-FA)
24 Bruce Eugene, Grambling (undrafted)

So, we could see as many as five I-AA QBs drafted if this were to hold true. Bruce Eugene is not even the #1 rated QB from the SWAC as Tavaris Jackson has won over NFL scouts with his "impressive velocity and perimeter passing ability". Jackson is said to have plenty of upside, comparable if not more than most QBs in the draft...

Catmendue2
March 11th, 2006, 04:40 AM
This comes from a pay-site related to the NFL Draft...

Rounds listed in ()

7 Erik Meyer, Eastern Washington (5)
13 Ingle Martin, Furman (6-7)
14 Travis Lulay. Montana St (6-7)
15 Tavaris Jackson, Alabama St (7)
20 Barrick Nealy, Texas St (7-FA)
24 Bruce Eugene, Grambling (undrafted)

So, we could see as many as five I-AA QBs drafted if this were to hold true. Bruce Eugene is not even the #1 rated QB from the SWAC as Tavaris Jackson has won over NFL scouts with his "impressive velocity and perimeter passing ability". Jackson is said to have plenty of upside, comparable if not more than most QBs in the draft...

Can you explain to me why Eugene need to be singled out. This was suppose to be about QB info, and not a reason to have a Bruce Eugene roast.

TexasTerror
March 11th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Can you explain to me why Eugene need to be singled out. This was suppose to be about QB info, and not a reason to have a Bruce Eugene roast.

Because I never heard of this Jackson kid before I went over to this pay-site and checked out the rankings. Must've been a "secret" that someone was keeping as now I'm interested to learn more about him...

I don't think anyone is surprised that the other QBs will be drafted as they all made strong showings for themselves during the I-AA season and/or at the combine (i.e Martin)...

MACHIAVELLI
March 11th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Jacksonville Jaguars hold private workout for Eugene

March 11th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Because I never heard of this Jackson kid before...You never heard of Jackson before???? We had Tarvaris as the #2 QB in the SWAC in the preseason (check your mag). The guy was no secret.

Mr. Tiger
March 11th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Because I never heard of this Jackson kid before I went over to this pay-site and checked out the rankings. Must've been a "secret" that someone was keeping as now I'm interested to learn more about him...

I don't think anyone is surprised that the other QBs will be drafted as they all made strong showings for themselves during the I-AA season and/or at the combine (i.e Martin)...

TT, this is why you need to stop making negative comments on Eugene and the SWAC. Obviously, you have not been watching much SWAC football. Alabama State's T. Jackson being rated ahead of Eugene is no secret or surprise. That's because if Jackson doesn't make it as a QB, the kid has 4.6 or 4.5 speed so he could be a receiver easy. And he has a strong arm. Now, Eugene is the better QB but everyone is looking for the next Randle El. So Jackson would be a QB/possible WR when drafted, while Eugene could only play one position. And as I said in another thread Martin was one of the only QBs to have an outstanding combine so he improved his stock. Eugene did fine at the combine that's why teams are coming for the private workouts. He has arm strength, confidence, and a good touch on the deep ball. Jackson a secret :nonono2: :bang:

TexasTerror
March 12th, 2006, 06:52 AM
Hey now, hard to 'misplace' Jackson with the SWAC posters 'All Eugene, All the Time' that we saw this past season...and the lack of awards for Jackson as well, all taken by Eugene...

You guys need to "pimp" your product even more...so people know what's going on...

gram4life
March 12th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Hey now, hard to 'misplace' Jackson with the SWAC posters 'All Eugene, All the Time' that we saw this past season...and the lack of awards for Jackson as well, all taken by Eugene...

You guys need to "pimp" your product even more...so people know what's going on...

Maybe you can save us, show us the way. Man you are truly sad.

mikebigg
March 12th, 2006, 04:05 PM

Jackson is a good athlete and a good qb...he was not the college qb that Bruce was. We will see which does better as a pro QB if they are given the opportunity. But my question is this... Why did your thread have an anti-Bruce slant? Would it have been possible to say..."D1AA has numerous QB's targeted as possible draftees"? Why not promote our Classification?

You catch a lot of flak for some of your post...most view you as being anti-SWAC in particular and anti-HBCU in particular. When your post always seem to have a negative slant...just like this one, you give validity to that opinion!:nono:

blackfordpu
March 12th, 2006, 08:45 PM
I don't want to butt in but you guys are being way to sensative to TT's post. I don't really see any Bruce bashing just wonderment on who Jackson is. TT didn't make the rankings, calm down guys.

Tod
March 12th, 2006, 09:20 PM
I don't want to butt in but you guys are being way to sensative to TT's post. I don't really see any Bruce bashing just wonderment on who Jackson is. TT didn't make the rankings, calm down guys.

I have to disagree. All the respect in the world, TT, but it would have been better if you'd just posted the rankings, and not chosen the title of the thread that you did. I believe you didn't mean harm, but with the crap you've taken when you post SWAC articles just for the benefit of AGS, this almost sounded like you wanted to get back at somebody, or prove a point.

I don't think Cat, Machi, Mr. T, Gram or Mike were wrong. The news was fine, the presentation needed work.

:twocents:

MACHIAVELLI
March 13th, 2006, 10:39 AM
(13) Erik Meyer, Eastern Washington
Strengths:
A very accurate passer...Has a tremendous arm...Smart player who is always in control of the offense...Makes very few mistakes...Can move a little and avoid pressure...Is a good natural athlete...Sees the field and can read a defense well...Is a gamer who has that extra something which is hard to define...Tremendous player at his level of competition...Top intangibles.

Weaknesses:
Has not played against the type of elite athletes and talent he will see at the next level so the jump will be a major culture shock for him...Will try to do too much and take too many chances...Doesn't have great size...Speed is only average although he plays faster with the pads on...Needs to refine his mechanics...Still a project.

(15) Barrick Nealy, Texas St
Strengths:
Has excellent size and an ideal frame...Very athletic with good speed...Mobile and can beat you with his feet...Has a good arm...Throws well on the run...Was very productive in Division IAA...Team leader with top intangibles...Has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:
Did not play against a high level of competition...Very inconsistent with his accuracy...Did not play in a pro style offense...Raw and will need a lot of work on his technique and mechanics...Might have to change positions at the next level.

(19) Tavaris Jackson, Alabama St
Strengths:
Has a strong arm...Is a great athlete...Mobile and can beat you with his legs...Throws well on the run...Has decent size with a solid frame...Is very strong...Was extremely productive at the Division II level...Still has some upside.

Weaknesses:
Did not play against a lot of top competition...Struggles with his accuracy...Is not quite as tall as you'd prefer...Very raw and will need to refine his technique and mechanics...Is more of a long-term project and won't be ready for a while.

(20) Ingle Martin, Furman
Strengths:
Has decent size and a solid frame...Arm strength is excellent...Athletic with good speed...Smart with good intangibles...Was extremely productive...Versatile and is also being looked at as a punting prospect...Still has some upside and potential.

Weaknesses:
Could not hold down a job at the Division I level...Does not really play up to his measurables...Has little experience against top competition...Has trouble dealing with pressure...Vision is questionable...A project who will need to be worked with.

(21) Bruce Eugene, Grambling
Strengths:
Has a great arm...Pretty mobile and can move well for a guy his size...Playmaker who has a knack for coming through in the clutch...Team leader...Throws a nice deep ball...Was extremely productive at his level...Has a lot of experience.

Weaknesses:
Has serious issues with his weight and can't seem to keep it under control...Does not have the height you look for...Did not play against top competition...Mechanics need to be refined...Very raw and needs a lot of work...Durability is a concern.

(26) Travis Lulay. Montana St

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/qb.html

MACHIAVELLI
March 13th, 2006, 11:10 AM

Tarvaris Jackson 57 mph
Bruce Eugene 55 mph.

MACHIAVELLI
March 13th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Bruce Eugene from Grambling caught the eye of the (Baltimore) Ravens' director of college scouting.

Not ideal height for an NFL quarterback at 6'1," Eugene stood tall during the quarterback drills and established himself as an "excellent down-the-field thrower who showed some good touch on the ball," according to DeCosta, who believes the Grambling star helped his draft value considerably.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article.jsp?id=8258

MACHIAVELLI
March 13th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Bruce Eugene is not even the #1 rated QB from the SWAC as Tavaris Jackson has won over NFL scouts with his "impressive velocity and perimeter passing ability".

I guess it depends on who you ask.

Quarterback
1. Matt Leinart- USC
2. Vince Young- Texas
3. Jay Cutler- Vanderbilt
4. Omar Jacobs- Bowling Green
5. Charlie Whitehurst- Clemson
6. Brodie Croyle- Alabama
7. Paul Pinegar- Fresno State
8. Kellen Clemons- Oregon
9. Reggie McNeil- Texas A&M
10. Marcus Vick- Virginia Tech
11. Bruce Eugene- Grambling
12. Darrell Hackney- UAB
13. Drew Olson- UCLA
14. Bruce Gradkowski- Toledo
15. Ingle Martin- Furman
16. Barrick Nealey- Texas State
17. Quinton Porter- Boston College
18. Brett Basanez- Northwestern
19. Eric Meyer- Eastern Washington
20. Brad Smith- Missouri
21. DJ Shockley- Georgia
22. Josh Betts- Miami of Ohio
23. Travis Lulay- Montana State

http://www.football.com/draft/2006/mccollom_mocks.shtml

walliver
March 13th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Strengths:
Has a strong arm...Is a great athlete...Mobile and can beat you with his legs...Throws well on the run...Has decent size with a solid frame...Is very strong...Was extremely productive at the Division II level...Still has some upside.

Weaknesses:
Did not play against a lot of top competition...Struggles with his accuracy...Is not quite as tall as you'd prefer...Very raw and will need to refine his technique and mechanics...Is more of a long-term project and won't be ready for a while.

I wonder how much homework this reviewer did if he thinks this guy is in D-2.

GeauxLions94
March 13th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Once again, these "experts" don't know what they're talking about. : flamemad

bandl
March 13th, 2006, 01:07 PM
(20) Ingle Martin, Furman
Weaknesses:
Could not hold down a job at the Division I level...Does not really play up to his measurables...Has little experience against top competition...Has trouble dealing with pressure...Vision is questionable...A project who will need to be worked with.

This cracks me up...it appears that the SOCON sucks!!! Not really though...but it's funny that some of the scouts think that ASU, GSU and the like in the Socon (not to mention the playoff teams that Furman has played...ahem JMU) are not considered 'top competition'.

bandl
March 13th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Tarvaris Jackson 57 mph
Bruce Eugene 55 mph.

That's just sick how fast that is...has anyone here ever had to catch a football coming at you that fast from 10 yards away??? Not easy, and it hurts like hell!!! :rotateh:

March 13th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Once again, these "experts" don't know what they're talking about. : flamemadLooks like they could use some spelling pointers too... it is TARVARIS and ERIK.
...15 Tavaris Jackson, Alabama St...
19. Eric Meyer- Eastern Washington...

GeauxLions94
March 13th, 2006, 01:20 PM
This cracks me up...it appears that the SOCON sucks!!! Not really though...but it's funny that some of the scouts think that ASU, GSU and the like in the Socon (not to mention the playoff teams that Furman has played...ahem JMU) are not considered 'top competition'.

And didn't he play at Florida, where they played against top competition and was an internal pressure cooker :rolleyes:

Who wrote this stuff on these guys ... Fred Edelstein xidiotx

MACHIAVELLI
March 13th, 2006, 01:38 PM
That's just sick how fast that is...has anyone hear ever had to catch a football coming at you that fast from 10 yards away??? Not easy, and it hurts like hell!!! :rotateh:

I caught a pass from Doug Williams when I was a little kid. Still have the cross on my chest. :bawling:

mikebigg
March 13th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Wouldn't it be Grand for 1AA if all of these guys made it (even if it's practice squad and Developmental League in Europe. I personally think these guys can hold their own with Lienart, Young, and any of the other guys coming out of D1. People talk about quality of competition, but qb's don't so much compete against other players as they compete against schemes and coverages. The coverages and schemes in D1 isn't any greater than D1AA.

My point is that Leinart, Young, Cutler and the others only have a perceived advantage. The physical test results and passing drills clearly show that they are not athletically superior. Does Leinart know the passing game...sure he does, but trust me so does Bruce Eugene and a lot of the other guys from D1AA.

putter
March 13th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Wouldn't it be Grand for 1AA if all of these guys made it (even if it's practice squad and Developmental League in Europe. I personally think these guys can hold their own with Lienart, Young, and any of the other guys coming out of D1. People talk about quality of competition, but qb's don't so much compete against other players as they compete against schemes and coverages. The coverages and schemes in D1 isn't any greater than D1AA.

My point is that Leinart, Young, Cutler and the others only have a perceived advantage. The physical test results and passing drills clearly show that they are not athletically superior. Does Leinart know the passing game...sure he does, but trust me so does Bruce Eugene and a lot of the other guys from D1AA.

I agree 100% mike, Eugene and everyone else playing in I-AA is up there with the Leinarts of the world. With the level of play in the NFL even playing in the SEC won't prepare them 100% for the NFL

SoCon Din
March 14th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Mach- why the bold font? Is it your perceived important points? or pointing out that they seemed to put the same crap for every 1-AA player. "Needs refined blah blah blah and didn't play a BCS schedule."

Funny, but speaking for Furman, playing Pittsburgh (a "BCS" :( team), playoff teams, Appy, Western, Wofford, GSU, Jacksonville State is a lack of quality teams ap-par-ent-ly. This would be the time to insert Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, Steve McNair, Wayne Chrebet, etc.

MACHIAVELLI
March 14th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Mach- why the bold font? Is it your perceived important points? or pointing out that they seemed to put the same crap for every 1-AA player. "Needs refined blah blah blah and didn't play a BCS schedule."
Basically

PDXCat
March 15th, 2006, 11:09 AM
I guess it depends on who you ask.

Quarterback
1. Matt Leinart- USC
2. Vince Young- Texas
3. Jay Cutler- Vanderbilt
4. Omar Jacobs- Bowling Green
5. Charlie Whitehurst- Clemson
6. Brodie Croyle- Alabama
7. Paul Pinegar- Fresno State
8. Kellen Clemons- Oregon
9. Reggie McNeil- Texas A&M
10. Marcus Vick- Virginia Tech
11. Bruce Eugene- Grambling
12. Darrell Hackney- UAB
13. Drew Olson- UCLA
14. Bruce Gradkowski- Toledo
15. Ingle Martin- Furman
16. Barrick Nealey- Texas State
17. Quinton Porter- Boston College
18. Brett Basanez- Northwestern
19. Eric Meyer- Eastern Washington
20. Brad Smith- Missouri
21. DJ Shockley- Georgia
22. Josh Betts- Miami of Ohio
23. Travis Lulay- Montana State

http://www.football.com/draft/2006/mccollom_mocks.shtml

This list looks like it was put together by one of the part time 20 year old nfl draft "experts". It's fairly easy to pick the top draft picks but the second day list requires more homework and insight. A more credible list (taking into consideration Combine results):

1 Matt Leinart, USC
2 Vince Young
3 Jay Cutler, Vandy
4 Omar Jacobs*,
5 Brodie Croyle, Alabama
6 Charlie Whitehurst, Clemson
7 Reggie McNeal, Tex. A&M
8 Erik Meyer, Eastern Wash.
9 D.J. Shockley, Georgia
10 Drew Olson, UCLA
11 Bruce Gradkowski, Toledo
12 Kellen Clemens, Oregon
13 Darrell Hackney, UAB
14 Travis Lulay, Montana St.
15 Paul Pinegar, Fresno St.
16 Bruce Eugene, Grambling S
17 Brett Basanez, N'western
18 Kent Smith, Central Mich.
19 Josh Betts, Miami (O.)
20 Cody Hodges, Tex. Tech
21 Tarvaris Jackson, Alabama St.
22 Ingle Martin, Furman
23 Marcus Vick*, Va. Tech
24 Brandon Kirsch*, Purdue
25 Justin Holland, Colorado St.
26 Brett Elliott, Linfield

Quarterbacks - Sorted by Overall Super 99 | Rankings by positionQBRBFBWRTECGOTDTDEILBOLBCBSKP

I didn't put this together - it came from The Sporting News staff after consulting with scouts etc. (it is a pay site). This site also has an anaylysis of strengths and weaknesses and where they might go in the draft. There are a lot of pay sites out there that seem to essentially put together lists based on simple google searches.