PDA

View Full Version : ICON/Grambling Pro Day

MACHIAVELLI
March 10th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Grambling coach Melvin Spears says a limited slate of seniors will join Hatcher in a 10 a.m. session with NFL scouts today. They are: Quarterback Bruce "The Big Easy" Eugene (GSU's other combine invitee), receiver Moses Harris, defensive tackles Lennard Patton and Moe Thompson, cornerback Marques Binns and offensive tackle Jonathan Banks.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060310/SPORTS/603100345/1006

TexasTerror
March 10th, 2006, 11:43 AM
The most recent boards have all the I-AA QBs especially Eugene falling off the radar...

Let us know what happens...

dbackjon
March 10th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Where is ICON U?

TexasTerror
March 10th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Hatcher was not happy with his 4.91 in Indy, so he's going to run again. The article is mainly about Hatcher who is a legit pro talent and would be a great late third round or my wishes, early fourth round (for the Texans) draft pick...

GSU to hold pro day for NFL scouts next
By Nick Deriso
[email protected]

GRAMBLING — Former Grambling State defender Jason "Hatchet" Hatcher says he pulled up at the end of his 40-yard dash in the NFL Scouting Combine.

So, he's considering another run during GSU's Pro Day this morning on campus, hoping to better the 4.91 mark he set in Indianapolis.

Hatcher, a Jena product, was worried about a nagging hamstring problem — but he added that "it's more mental than physical. I feel fine."
Grambling coach Melvin Spears says a limited slate of seniors will join Hatcher in a 10 a.m. session with NFL scouts today. They are: Quarterback Bruce "The Big Easy" Eugene (GSU's other combine invitee), receiver Moses Harris, defensive tackles Lennard Patton and Moe Thompson, cornerback Marques Binns and offensive tackle Jonathan Banks.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060310/SPORTS/603100345/1006

UNH 40
March 10th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Why is it that UNH (arguably the most talented team I-AA in 2005) has not a single NFL team willing to come up and workout players like TE John Williams a first team All-American, B.J Flenory a third team All-American, an RB John McCoy a vastly underrated player, on March 13 the scheduled pro-day at UNH. For four years now there has been a scheduled pro days at UNH and not a single scout has shown up. I don't understand it, instead scouts a going to Shippensburg State, IUP, and North Carolina Central. Its crazy.

AppGuy04
March 10th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Where is ICON U?

my thoughts exactly:rolleyes:

gram4life
March 10th, 2006, 12:10 PM
my thoughts exactly:rolleyes:

SMH, sad, so sad

March 10th, 2006, 12:14 PM
SMH, sad, so sadThat's not helpful. Give them the quote where GSU was called an ICON. :nod:

MACHIAVELLI
March 10th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Where is ICON U?

Grambling, LA

gram4life
March 10th, 2006, 12:51 PM
That's not helpful. Give them the quote where GSU was called an ICON. :nod:

They already know, so why try? : smh :

March 10th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Where is ICON U?Like what was posted, it is in Grambling, LA.

“When you talk about football Grambling stands up there as an Icon type of name. When you think of Grambling, you think of Notre Dame, you probably think of places like Ohio State, Oklahoma, during the Bud Wilkinson days and other institutions that are synonymous with college football.”
--- NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue

TexasTerror
March 10th, 2006, 03:36 PM
So, how'd the SWAC #2 QB do?

I would ask how #1, according to NFL officials did, but he's out at Alabama State...:cool:

gram4life
March 10th, 2006, 03:49 PM
So, how'd the SWAC #2 QB do?

I would ask how #1, according to NFL officials did, but he's out at Alabama State...:cool:

OK

TexasTerror
March 10th, 2006, 03:59 PM
OK

Just okay? So I guess that pretty much ends the "hype" that surrounded Eugene all season from the Grambling fans if he did not prove his doubters wrong at the Grambling Pro Day...

Still looking forward to Hatcher on Sunday though...

March 10th, 2006, 04:14 PM
SCORING OFFENSE G TD XP 2XP DXP FG Saf Pts Avg
--------------------------------------------------------------
1. Grambling State..... 12 75 49 3 0 8 0 529 44.1

PASS OFFENSE G Att Cmp Int Pct. Yds Avg TD Yds/G
------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Grambling State..... 12 465 258 7 55.5 4456 9.6 58 371.3

TOTAL OFFENSE G Rush Pass Plays Yards Avg/P TD Yds/G
----------------------------------------------------------------
1. Grambling State..... 12 1552 4456 846 6008 7.1 72 500.7

PASS EFFICIENCY G Att Cmp Pct Int Yds TD Effic
--------------------------------------------------------------
1. Grambling State..... 12 465 258 .555 7 4456 58 174.1

FIRST DOWNS G Rush Pass Pen Total
-----------------------------------------------
1. Grambling State..... 12 100 169 20 289

4TH-DN CONVERSIONS G Conv Att Pct
-------------------------------------------
1. Grambling State..... 12 21 33 63.6

PASSING AVG/GAME Team Cl G Att Cmp Int Pct. Yds TD Avg/G
-------------------------------------------------------------
1. EUGENE,Bruce... GSU SR 12 456 256 6 56.1 4408 56 367.3
2. LEWIS,Joseph... SU SO 9 342 217 7 63.5 2496 19 277.3
3. NELSON,Aries... MVSU JR 11 350 200 9 57.1 2942 17 267.5
4. JACKSON,Tarvari ALST SR 11 320 195 5 60.9 2941 29 267.4

TOTAL OFFENSE Team Cl G Rush Pass Plays Total Yds/G
---------------------------------------------------------
1. EUGENE,Bruce... GSU SR 12 157 4408 536 4565 380.4
2. JACKSON,Tarvari ALST SR 11 285 2941 423 3226 293.3

PASS EFFICIENCY Team Cl G Att Cmp Int Pct. Yds TD Eff.
-------------------------------------------------------------
1. EUGENE,Bruce... GSU SR 12 456 256 6 56.1 4408 56 175.2
2. JACKSON,Tarvari ALST SR 11 320 195 5 60.9 2941 29 164.9

Awards 2002

I-AA All American
I-AA Total Offensive Leader
Walter Payton Award Finalist
SWAC Offensive Player of the Year
First Team All SWAC

Awards 2003

I-AA All American
I-AA Total Offensive Leader
Walter Payton Award Finalist
I-AA Pre-Season All American
SWAC Pre-Season Player of the Year

Awards 2004

Heisman Trophy Candidate
Walter Payton Award Candidate
SWAC Preseason Player of the Year (I-AA.org)
I-AA Pre-Season All American (Athlon Sports & Sports Network)
I-AA Pre-Season #1 Ranked Quarterback (Sport Network)
Pre-season SWAC Offensive Player of the year All SWAC 1st Team
Injured first game of season (Received a Medical Redshirt)

Awards 2005

Preseason #7 Ranked QB D1AA (Sports Network)
Preseason 2nd Team All SWAC
SWAC Preseason Player of the Year (I-AA.org)
Swac Player of the week (Oct. 1, 2005) Week #4
Louisiana Sports Writers Player of the week (Oct. 1, 2005) Week #4
I-AA Player of the week (Oct. 1, 2005) Week #4
Grambling's All time Passing Touchdown leader 130
Most passing yards in a single game 618 (school and conference)
Swac Player of the week (Oct. 15, 2005) Week #7
Swac Player of the week (Oct. 22, 2005) Week #8
Louisiana Sports Writers Player of the week (Oct. 22, 2005) Week #8
Swac Player of the week (Oct. 29, 2005) Week #9
Swac Player of the week (Nov.. 28, 2005) Week #
Louisiana Sports Writers Player of the week (Nov. 28, 2005)
Bayou Classic MVP
SWAC Offensive Player of the year
SWAC Championship Player of the game
American Football Coaches Association First Team All American
Associated Press Second Team All American
Sports Network Third Team All American

Talking about BRUCE EUGENE!
http://www.gramblingstateuniversity.com/bruceeugene.htm

TexasTerror
March 10th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Awards can only go so far...

Eugene was hyped as this "All-World" player. Looking at where he's slotted amongst QBs (just outside the draft) and hearing that he just did "okay" at the pro day means we shouldn't really expect to hear much out of Eugene...

I figure he'll get signed to a rookie contract so a team can have a QB to throw to their new WRs, TEs and RBs during a rookie camp, but he won't last much longer in the NFL.

Mr. Tiger
March 10th, 2006, 10:29 PM

Eugene was hyped as this "All-World" player. Looking at where he's slotted amongst QBs (just outside the draft) and hearing that he just did "okay" at the pro day means we shouldn't really expect to hear much out of Eugene...

I figure he'll get signed to a rookie contract so a team can have a QB to throw to their new WRs, TEs and RBs during a rookie camp, but he won't last much longer in the NFL.

Nothing has changed TT. Eugene was a very good college QB who was never considered to be one of the top QBs in the draft by the experts because of his weight and I-AA status. But several who watched the kid believe he has what it takes to make it to the NFL. I watched the combine and Eugene did fine. To be honest nobody really just stood out. Cutler was solid. Ingle Martin impressed me with his ball placement. T. Jackson impressed me was his quickness. But I don't think anyone's stock rose a great deal from the combine. I just hope Eugene gets a shot because he does have ability and could develop in the NFL.

gram4life
March 10th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Just okay? So I guess that pretty much ends the "hype" that surrounded Eugene all season from the Grambling fans if he did not prove his doubters wrong at the Grambling Pro Day...

Ok, was my answer to you, as you seem to find great joy in the fact that Eugene is not a top pick or even a pick in draft. SMH

Catmendue2
March 11th, 2006, 04:23 AM
Nothing has changed TT. Eugene was a very good college QB who was never considered to be one of the top QBs in the draft by the experts because of his weight and I-AA status. But several who watched the kid believe he has what it takes to make it to the NFL. I watched the combine and Eugene did fine. To be honest nobody really just stood out. Cutler was solid. Ingle Martin impressed me with his ball placement. T. Jackson impressed me was his quickness. But I don't think anyone's stock rose a great deal from the combine. I just hope Eugene gets a shot because he does have ability and could develop in the NFL.

This guy doesn't have a clue, he is bent on hate for the SWAC no matter how it gets skewed, up in hea. Eugene gonna get his shot and we Grambling folks knows where thats going to be.

Catmendue2
March 11th, 2006, 04:33 AM

I guess he is just informing us, because I know he doesn't smack on SWAC teams. Its his daily orgasmic pleasure to let us know whats negative in the HBCU, especially in the SWAC.

TexasTerror
March 11th, 2006, 08:17 AM
So we know the Texans have their eye on Hatcher. This is good, real good! :)

GRAMBLING — Representatives from several NFL clubs visited Friday to get a closer look at Grambling State's draftable seniors, including a familiar face.

Former GSU coach Doug Williams, now a personnel executive with Tampa Bay, was on hand to evaluate players for the Buccaneers. He joined NFL scouts from the Saints, Eagles, Browns, Dolphins, Texans and Giants, among others.

The Jaguars also held a private workout for record-smashing quarterback Bruce "The Big Easy" Eugene. Those drills were conducted by Ken Anderson, a former passer for Cincinnati who is now the quarterbacks coach at Jacksonville.

"He's an interesting prospect, so productive in college," Anderson said. "He throws really well, and he's a good kid."

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060311/SPORTS/603110342/1006

MACHIAVELLI
March 11th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Jacksonville Jaguars hold private workout for Eugene

mikebigg
March 12th, 2006, 04:17 PM

It wasn't hype...it was legit numbers put up by the most prolific passer in 1AA. No knock on Jackson because he was a good college qb...however, Bruce put up better numbers against the same competition.

His athleticism makes him attractive to the league...but that doesn't make him a better qb prospect. Maybe a better overall prospect, but not necessarily a college qb. For instance...a lot of scouts and GM's would take Michael Vick because of the athletic things he can do, not because of his abilities as a passer. But does that make him a better qb than Payton Manning? One's a pocket passer and the other is a playmaker. A similar comparison can be made concerning Bruce and Jackson.

MACHIAVELLI
March 13th, 2006, 12:30 AM
His athleticism makes him attractive to the league...but that doesn't make him a better qb prospect. Maybe a better overall prospect, but not necessarily a college qb. For instance...a lot of scouts and GM's would take Michael Vick because of the athletic things he can do, not because of his abilities as a passer. But does that make him a better qb than Payton Manning? One's a pocket passer and the other is a playmaker. A similar comparison can be made concerning Bruce and Jackson.

Bruce is both.

March 13th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Yeah... bruce almighty for sure. It will be a long time before we get over this guy.

mikebigg
March 13th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Bruce is both.

You are correct...but I was talking more on the pro-level. I don't think Bruce will be running quite as much in the pros (We even had some designed running plays for him). Bruce has very quick and agile feet...regardless of his size.

Catmendue2
March 14th, 2006, 10:18 AM
You are correct...but I was talking more on the pro-level. I don't think Bruce will be running quite as much in the pros (We even had some designed running plays for him). Bruce has very quick and agile feet...regardless of his size.

You know Mike its funny that most people don't know that Bruce was selected the best Qb in Louisiana last year, and thats pretty good if you consider the crop of college QBs in La. and in the pros from Louisiana.

TexasTerror
March 14th, 2006, 11:06 AM
You know Mike its funny that most people don't know that Bruce was selected the best Qb in Louisiana last year, and thats pretty good if you consider the crop of college QBs in La. and in the pros from Louisiana.

Talking about Louisiana QBs...sorta off subject, what are you guys hearing about Aaron Brooks of the Saints? At work, he's been mentioned as staying, going to Green Bay, off to Minnesota...what's your take?

Let's relate this to I-AA...perhaps one of these I-AA QBs mentioned above could end up with the Saints. Would be nice to see a Nealy or Eugene, from this neck of the woods, end up on a 'regional' team from their home region...

mikebigg
March 14th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Talking about Louisiana QBs...sorta off subject, what are you guys hearing about Aaron Brooks of the Saints? At work, he's been mentioned as staying, going to Green Bay, off to Minnesota...what's your take?

Let's relate this to I-AA...perhaps one of these I-AA QBs mentioned above could end up with the Saints. Would be nice to see a Nealy or Eugene, from this neck of the woods, end up on a 'regional' team from their home region...

Either Bruce or Nealy would be a good pickup... But I wonder if Bruce (despite the love he has for his hometown of Nawlins) might be better served not living in New Orleans. Imagine the discipline it would require for him to keep his weight down living in the land of good food and good times. But it would make me even more of a Saints fan if they got him on the roster.

TexasTerror
March 14th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Either Bruce or Nealy would be a good pickup... But I wonder if Bruce (despite the love he has for his hometown of Nawlins) might be better served not living in New Orleans. Imagine the discipline it would require for him to keep his weight down living in the land of good food and good times. But it would make me even more of a Saints fan if they got him on the roster.

Well, this all changed today...

Brees to NOLA, Culpepper to Miami...we'll see how the draft shakes out. Seems the Saints may not need an early-round QB as originally planned and will get a prized DE with that early first rounder...