PDA

View Full Version : Three JMU players charged with assault

Umass74
March 10th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Three JMU players are facing possible jail time for assaulting a teammate.

Assault article (http://www.dailynews-record.com/sports_details.php?AID=3324&CHID=3)

UNH 40
March 10th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Three JMU players are facing possible jail time for assaulting a teammate.

Assault article (http://www.dailynews-record.com/sports_details.php?AID=3324&CHID=3)

What is wrong with these idiots that think they are above the law just because they are athletes. Do these guys really think that they would get away with it and not get caught. Its complete stupidity. I hope they do get jail time, maybe that will knock some sence into them.

blur2005
March 10th, 2006, 11:15 AM
I read about this a couple days ago. REALLY stupid. The three who could face jailtime are all key contributers, among them is Akeem Jordan, the top returning LB and former Virginia AA State Player of the Year when he led my high school to a victory in the state championship my freshman year of high school. Pretty dumb.

JMU2004
March 10th, 2006, 11:28 AM
there is a thread on the JMU board about this. This was a minor skirmish, and the accuser is dropping the charges. Whether the DA pursues this case or not is obviously in question, but Coach Matthews is already handling this internally.

Doesn't seem to be a big deal at all

blur2005
March 10th, 2006, 12:13 PM
there is a thread on the JMU board about this. This was a minor skirmish, and the accuser is dropping the charges. Whether the DA pursues this case or not is obviously in question, but Coach Matthews is already handling this internally.

Doesn't seem to be a big deal at all
Well, it was initially a big deal, but with accuser dropping charges, I guess that changes things. Good news for the Dukes, though Mickey needs to slap them around a little.

WMTribe90
March 10th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Hey sometimes players can get into scuffles when tempers flare. What I can't understand or condone is two teamates rushing in to jump a fellow player instead of breaking the fight up?! Then Baker kicks his teamate in the face when he's already on the ground?! Boys will be boys, but this sounds like an assault to me. Even if the "victim" drops the charges it doesn't mean the DA won't decide to pursue the charge anyway. Its up to the DA's discretion now I imagine.

March 10th, 2006, 12:36 PM
A fight at a party? What's next...

FOUR WILLIAM AND MARY GRIDDERS ARRESTED FOR NAMECALLING

"They just wouldn't stop," said freshman walkon punter Jimmy Thumbwhistle. "First it was just one teammate, then three others jumped in and starting chanting 'Jimmy is a poopybutt' over and over. I'll drop the charges if they say they are sorry and let me borrow their GI Joe jeep."

:lmao:

rokamortis
March 10th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Since when is namecalling illegal? Kicking someone in the face on the opther hand ...

WMTribe90
March 10th, 2006, 12:54 PM
A fight at a party? What's next...

FOUR WILLIAM AND MARY GRIDDERS ARRESTED FOR NAMECALLING

"They just wouldn't stop," said freshman walkon punter Jimmy Thumbwhistle. "First it was just one teammate, then three others jumped in and starting chanting 'Jimmy is a poopybutt' over and over. I'll drop the charges if they say they are sorry and let me borrow their GI Joe jeep."

Ralph,

Not sure where your coming from with this post. Thought my post was pretty clear. I'm not naive enough to think fights don't happen from time to time even between teamates. However, this a situation where three teamates ganged up and beat down a fellow teamate. You have no problem with that? If two guys wanna go at it fine, let them go at it, I have no problem with that. If you read the article though, the three upperclassman continued to beat the freshman after he was already on the ground. With friends like that who need enemies?

March 10th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Since when is namecalling illegal? Kicking someone in the face on the opther hand ...It's called harassment and it is illegal.

March 10th, 2006, 02:35 PM
... this a situation where three teamates ganged up and beat down a fellow teamate. You have no problem with that? ...I did not read both sides of the story. The article has the complaintant's words only. Sure, assault is not funny but it now sounds like it was just a fight at a party not some murderous hit squad. I made a joke, guess you didn't think it was funny... :(

Go...gate
March 10th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Any word from JMU's administration on this?

rokamortis
March 10th, 2006, 03:13 PM
It's called harassment and it is illegal.

Come on now ralph - if namecalling equaled harasment then this site would be illegal.

jmuroller
March 10th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Any word from JMU's administration on this?

Did you not read the article?

Just in case you can't click on a link.:nono:

"The James Madison University athletics division and football coaching staff are aware of a recent incident involving several JMU football players," the statement said. "Information regarding the incident still is being gathered and the university will withhold comment on the situation until that process and any legal process potentially involved are completed."

"It was an immature fight among four young men," JMU coach Mickey Matthews said by phone Tuesday. "There will be team discipline. It will be internal."

"We dealt with it as a football team two weeks ago," Matthews said. "We were more than mildly disappointed in the conduct of all four youngsters."

March 10th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Come on now ralph - if namecalling equaled harasment then this site would be illegal.I was making a joke but harassment is a crime.

DTSpider
March 10th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Sure, assault is not funny but it now sounds like it was just a fight at a party not some murderous hit squad.

And we don't even have to leave the A10 for that kind of action...:doh:

(sorry for the cheap shot UD fans...it was too easy to pass up)

I agree from the W&M fans who talk about a possible effect on team chemistry. If you're fighting in practice that's fine. In the offseason guys should be breaking up fights if you're an upperclassman, not beating up another teammate. I would imagine that they'll be up at 5am running for the next several months, but hopefully someone here will learn a lesson.

Go...gate
March 10th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Thanks. I clicked on the link and crashed - my system is a bit sick today.

catbob
March 10th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Good lord what are you A10 boys up to these days?

Atlantic10, more like Abomination10. :)

I kid, I keed.

Uncle Buck
March 10th, 2006, 04:35 PM
"It was an immature fight among four young men," JMU coach Mickey Matthews said by phone Tuesday.

I don't know why this statement keeps jumping out at me. As a former player I can say yeah we had a skirmish or two on the practice field, but never an incident like this that didn't carry a heavy penalty. Okay, you get into a shoving match with a teammate, but then two others jump you and one kicks you in the FACE! Good god, nothing immature about that. It's downright scary that these guys who are supposed to be your teammates could act so despicably. I use that word because even after the altercation was breaking up, they were still taking swipes at the freshman. I know you want to support your team and not jeopardize winning, but I seriously hope that if that's the way it went down, the DA presses charges and they are locked up. Just because it's a fight at a party doesn't make it any less criminal or excusable. Maybe this thing was trumped up in the paper to make it sound worse, if not, I can honestly say they should be punished.

JMU2004
March 10th, 2006, 04:58 PM
"It was an immature fight among four young men," JMU coach Mickey Matthews said by phone Tuesday.

I don't know why this statement keeps jumping out at me. As a former player I can say yeah we had a skirmish or two on the practice field, but never an incident like this that didn't carry a heavy penalty. Okay, you get into a shoving match with a teammate, but then two others jump you and one kicks you in the FACE! Good god, nothing immature about that. It's downright scary that these guys who are supposed to be your teammates could act so despicably. I use that word because even after the altercation was breaking up, they were still taking swipes at the freshman. I know you want to support your team and not jeopardize winning, but I seriously hope that if that's the way it went down, the DA presses charges and they are locked up. Just because it's a fight at a party doesn't make it any less criminal or excusable. Maybe this thing was trumped up in the paper to make it sound worse, if not, I can honestly say they should be punished.

what NONE of you seem to be getting is that the story has not been confirmed. That is ONE side of the story, from the accuser, who has admitted that he overreacted/embelished the story and wanted the charges dropped.

Lordy Lordy, this happens at every school EVERY weekend.....this one happened to make the papers because JMU Football is the #1 story in Harrisonburg

Uncle Buck
March 10th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Lordy Lordy, this happens at every school EVERY weekend.....this one happened to make the papers because JMU Football is the #1 story in Harrisonburg

I believe in my post I said something like if this is actually what happened they should be punished. Also, just because it happens at "every school EVERY weekend" doesn't mean that it's acceptable or legal. If it was a three on one like the stort alleges, than they should be punished. Also, as an athlete you are under a microscope, don't do anything to embarrass yourself, your family or the university. If they kid trumped things up a bit, you can be certain he will probably leave the team for bringing the negative attention. You also have to wonder if this young kid was swayed into retracting his statement in fear of being outcast from the team. A lot of twists and turns in this story if you ask me.

JMU2004
March 10th, 2006, 10:50 PM
I believe in my post I said something like if this is actually what happened they should be punished. Also, just because it happens at "every school EVERY weekend" doesn't mean that it's acceptable or legal. If it was a three on one like the stort alleges, than they should be punished. Also, as an athlete you are under a microscope, don't do anything to embarrass yourself, your family or the university. If they kid trumped things up a bit, you can be certain he will probably leave the team for bringing the negative attention. You also have to wonder if this young kid was swayed into retracting his statement in fear of being outcast from the team. A lot of twists and turns in this story if you ask me.

UB, on this one, you could not be more wrong......I am not saying that is ok, far from it. It should be, and HAS BEEN handled. You are not the immediate JMU family, and therefore have no knowledge of what has been done internally.

This was a player scuffle, one that did not go as far as the papers want you to believe. Keep that in mind please. It is my understanding that all 4 players will face a suspension of some sort.

colgate13
March 10th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Lordy Lordy, this happens at every school EVERY weekend.

Even Liberty?

What about Grove City - or BYU? :rotateh:

eaglesrthe1
March 12th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Everyone seems to be focusing on the three on one aspect. Since the "victim" weighed in at 245 and the other original opponent tipped the scales at a whoppin 150, seems to me that it was already at least 1 1/2 to one from the start.

Just because the "victim" filed a complaint doesn't mean that it started out as him being the victim. It would seem odd for the buck-fifty guy to be the original aggressor. Of course, if he was gettin his ass handed to him by somebody that out weighed him by a hundred pounds, he might feel inclined to get his lick in when he had the opportunity after the other players pulled him off.

Of course it's hard to tell when you just hear one side of the story, but this "victim" may have got what was due him.

Uncle Buck
March 12th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Maybe this thing was trumped up in the paper to make it sound worse, if not, I can honestly say they should be punished.

Listen, I see your position on it and even said in my original post that the paper may have trumped this up. If it went down the way it allegedly happened, then they should be punished.
If JMU handled it without the police, that's great. Hopefully they can do some team building exercises and put this behind them.

mlbowl
March 13th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Even Liberty?

What about Grove City - or BYU? :rotateh:

or the Air Force Academy;)