PDA

View Full Version : Old Fashion Way - ASU's Moore's Trick

TexasTerror
March 10th, 2006, 06:39 AM
So Moore wins a national title at Appy State. Did he get his recruits using e-mail or text messages? Nope. Didn't even type his letters either. He wrote personal letters via the old-fashioned way of hand-writing. Apparently, this is the way to get a national championship and I'm not going to argue with it. Word to other coaches out there, get a little more personal!

----------
Getting it Done the Old-Fashioned Way

by Donny Wisor (The Appalachian)
March 9, 2006

In a fast-paced world of technology and electronic devices, one coach on Appalachian State’s campus still relies on pen and paper to get results when it comes to recruiting.

The key to Appalachian State University head coach Jerry Moore’s recruiting technique is his personal touch. Even though text messaging and e-mail have made the recruiting battles faster and easier, Moore prefers the personal touch of a handwritten letter.

“I’m not an e-mailer, personally,” Moore said. “If I’m going to recruit you, I’m going to write you a note, a personal note.”

“I’ve been here for 17 years and there hasn’t been a typed note yet.”

http://www.goasu.com/?page=202&article=7165&fromPage=8

colgate13
March 10th, 2006, 07:51 AM
These strategies are used in recruiting regular students too. A little personalization can go a long way in the world of mass production/recruitment.

dungeonjoe
March 10th, 2006, 10:27 AM
As this society becomes more high tech, the more we crave the human touch. Good going Coach Moore.

jmuroller
March 10th, 2006, 03:16 PM
This is pretty much the norm at most schools. Nothing special about this.

March 10th, 2006, 03:27 PM
This is pretty much the norm at most schools. Nothing special about this.I think the article is in respose to something like this:
http://anygivensaturday.com/ralphblog/article.php?story=2006020313582014

SoCon48
March 11th, 2006, 04:56 AM
This is pretty much the norm at most schools. Nothing special about this.

Hmmm. So did it work for JMU with last Fall's results?:eyebrow:

igo4uni
March 11th, 2006, 09:36 PM
A handwritten note is much more valued than an email or instant message. Fact.

jmuroller
March 12th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Hmmm. So did it work for JMU with last Fall's results?:eyebrow:

JMU's NC's=1
App St.'s NC's=1

Talk ***** somewhere else.

In no way was I talking smack about Jerry Moore and ASU. They just make it seem as though Coach Moore is the only coach in America that writes letters to recruits. Recruiting is all about developing a personal relationship with a player. However you choose to do that is up to each individual.