PDA

View Full Version : HBU to Add Football - SLC Likely

TexasTerror
June 10th, 2011, 03:07 PM
With the addition of football, I think they could have a shot at the SLC.

They still have to get their basketball gym in order - but at the very least, football is nearing reality at HBU!

HOUSTON - Houston Baptist University is ready for some football.

HBU's board of trustees has had conversations about the sport for more than a year, seriously studied the idea in conjunction with outside consultants for several months and are committed to making it happen.

"Our board has voted to start the sport of football at the Football Championship Subdivision level, which is what they used to call 1-Double-A, but the contingency is when we get into a suitable conference," said Dr. Robert B. Sloan Jr., HBU president, in an interview with FOX 26 Sports.

Read more: http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/ncaa_football/110610-houston-baptist-university-plans-to-play-football

JSUBison
June 10th, 2011, 03:27 PM
This is good news. Hopefully this move will stabalize the SLC and SHSU and SFA will stick around a bit longer.

TexasTerror
June 10th, 2011, 03:36 PM
This is good news. Hopefully this move will stabalize the SLC and SHSU and SFA will stick around a bit longer.

This does stabilize the Southland Conference by presenting an excellent opportunity to add a football-playing member.

I am not sure this does anything to aid Sam Houston State in staying around longer because if an invitation comes, the institution will have no choice, but to accept - particularly if Lamar does as well. Anyone interested in what SHSU does just needs to keep an eye on any potential further changes to college realignment that will really push the WAC into even more of a quandry.

I am pretty excited about Houston Baptist adding football (if they get a SLC invite - which I am sure they would). They would have some Title IX issues, but hopefully they would add bowling and we'd have three SLC schools with the sport... got to get a few more to make it officially a SLC sponsored sport.

TexasTerror
June 10th, 2011, 04:27 PM
The Summit League is a possibility per this article? LOL

The decision to add football is expected to open the door for HBU to join a conference, possibly the Southland Conference or Summit League.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/7605112.html#ixzz1OuXEMVB6

LouiseBFree
June 10th, 2011, 05:08 PM
According to the story, looks like commissioner doesn't seem to share your HBU fever, TT!

With the addition of football, I think this will be a 'clinch' for them to join the Southland Conference... this is GREAT news!

They still have to get their basketball gym in order - but at the very least, football is nearing reality at HBU!

Read more: http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/ncaa_football/110610-houston-baptist-university-plans-to-play-football

DFW HOYA
June 10th, 2011, 05:33 PM
HBU isn't adding football--it says it will "begin" to add football if it joins the SLC. They know they cannot survive in the Great West.

Even if the SLC agrees, HBU is a square peg in the SLC. With 2,200 students and the only private school in the conference, HBU is a third smaller than the closest SLC school (Nicholls St.) and spends just over $1.1 million in scholarship funds for men's sports (roughly 33 scholarships for all men's sports).

HBU lacks any real athletic facilities, and unless the Huskies are prepared to play in a high school field, there are no nearby short term options in Sharpstown should the SLC expect them to get up to speed in the near future.

TexasTerror
June 10th, 2011, 06:34 PM
A release from HBU...

HOUSTON - HBU President Robert B. Sloan, Jr., has announced that the University is prepared to begin the sport of football, should an appropriate league opportunity present itself. The announcement, which has the unanimous acceptance of the HBU Board of Trustees, follows a significant study conducted by a special committee of trustees, University staff and outside consultants.

“Intercollegiate football will assist us in reaching our goals as we move HBU to the next level as a significant Christian university in a major city,” Sloan said. “We feel that adding football to our existing lineup of varsity athletic programs is an integral component of the Ten Pillars vision for the future of the University.”

http://hbuhuskies.com/news/2011/6/10/GEN_0610111152.aspx

TexasTerror
June 10th, 2011, 06:38 PM
HBU isn't adding football--it says it will "begin" to add football if it joins the SLC. They know they cannot survive in the Great West.

They know they must add football to get into the Southland.

Even if the SLC agrees, HBU is a square peg in the SLC. With 2,200 students and the only private school in the conference, HBU is a third smaller than the closest SLC school (Nicholls St.) and spends just over $1.1 million in scholarship funds for men's sports (roughly 33 scholarships for all men's sports).

What is their total budget? I see $8.5M (per OPE.ed.gov) and that is without football. The $8.5M is equal, if not above the Louisiana/Arkansas 'bloc' of Southland schools. Though the budget accounts for private school scholarships, I am sure that being in the SLC - they'd be able to reduce their significant travel costs and be able to put a good bit of money back into their athletic operations.

HBU lacks any real athletic facilities, and unless the Huskies are prepared to play in a high school field, there are no nearby short term options in Sharpstown should the SLC expect them to get up to speed in the near future.

I agree - they have some serious facility shortcomings - including basketball.

They state that they will likely rent a facility off-campus to play at while utilizing on-campus green space for practice.

NoCoDanny
June 10th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Would TX -Pan Am ever do it?

DFW HOYA
June 10th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Pan-Am has burned a lot of bridges over the years with the SLC. Meanwhile, here's a photo of HBU's home basketball court.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HBU_Basketball_CIMG8372.JPG

Sly Fox
June 10th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I knew it was just a matter of time before Sloan was able to get this on the table. Without membership in the Southland, HBU athletics as a whole is doomed. The only way for the school to get any consideration from the SLC is through football. So the Huskies are doing what they have to do to get themselves into the mix.

HBU's athletic facilities are pathetic. But frankly, the school hasn't felt compelled to do anything about them until recently. The return to Division I from years in the NAIA wilderness has spurred a renewed commitment to upgrade facilities. But the campus has seen a significant makeover the past few years with funding that Sloan has brought to the table since he arrived from Baylor.

A temporary football facility wouldn't be tough at all to locate. They likely won't need many home dates and there are plenty of high school facilities they could rent nearby. HBU is primarily a commuter school so any location in Greater Houston would be fine ... no need to stress about anything near Sharpstown.

I am jazzed to see another Evangelical school possibly stepping into the DI football ranks. I could definitely see Liberty scheduling them for dates in Lynchburg in rapid fashion.

citdog
June 11th, 2011, 01:59 AM
baptists xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolx

TexasTerror
June 11th, 2011, 07:03 AM
I knew it was just a matter of time before Sloan was able to get this on the table. Without membership in the Southland, HBU athletics as a whole is doomed. The only way for the school to get any consideration from the SLC is through football. So the Huskies are doing what they have to do to get themselves into the mix.

Looks like the SLC still remains not so interested... probably will take another wave of realignment to get them in, particularly if SHSU or Lamar left. It surely has re-invigorated the HBU fan base some...

HBU's athletic facilities are pathetic. But frankly, the school hasn't felt compelled to do anything about them until recently. The return to Division I from years in the NAIA wilderness has spurred a renewed commitment to upgrade facilities. But the campus has seen a significant makeover the past few years with funding that Sloan has brought to the table since he arrived from Baylor.

No question - drove past the facilities the last two days. Upgrades are definitely a priority with basketball and additional upgrades needed at baseball/softball. They got some work to do. Soccer doesn't seem to be too bad, now that they have lights.

superman7515
June 11th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Wow. I don't think I've even seen a public middle school with a gym that small.

RabidRabbit
June 11th, 2011, 08:32 AM
HBU is well south of the southern most school in the Summit. IMHO, EIU, Northern KY, UND (after mascot issue completely resolved) or any midwestern team would be preferred by the Summit over HBU. Having football doesn't enhance HBU's chances to get into the Summit.

TexasTerror
June 11th, 2011, 08:34 AM
HBU is well south of the southern most school in the Summit. IMHO, EIU, Northern KY, UND (after mascot issue completely resolved) or any midwestern team would be preferred by the Summit over HBU. Having football doesn't enhance HBU's chances to get into the Summit.

If the SLC is not interested - no one is. They threw out the Summit League, but I do not think they are as informed about FCS football and if anything - really misinformed their fan base.

HBU is in such a bad position because of the collapse of the Great West and with no other conferences interested in them for membership.

DG Cowboy
June 11th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Not far down the road you have Dallas Baptist lurking, with the fans' taste for brighter lights building on their baseball success.
They just need a contribution from Citidog to get things rolling. I think he could sell one of his authentic D-guards for that.

TexasTerror
June 11th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Not far down the road you have Dallas Baptist lurking, with the fans' taste for brighter lights building on their baseball success.
They just need a contribution from Citidog to get things rolling. I think he could sell one of his authentic D-guards for that.

Dallas Baptist is not exactly lurking... at least HBU is Division I.

Most of the write-ups I have read talk about upgrading baseball above all else. Not sure they have truly considered a full out move to Division I, though a run or two of success in the CWS could open that door. They are going to the Missouri Valley for baseball...

aztecjim
June 11th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Any target date? It would seem 2014 at the earliest.

TexasTerror
June 11th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Any target date? It would seem 2014 at the earliest.

Depends on conference invite and SLC is not interested... at this time.

DFW HOYA
June 11th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Where do all the Great West schools end up?

Chicago State--Summit?
Houston Baptist--Summit?
New Jersey Tech--America East?
North Dakota--Big Sky in 2012, maybe MVFC at some point
South Dakota--Missouri Valley
Texas–Pan American--no good options
Utah Valley--Big Sky?

Lehigh Football Nation
June 11th, 2011, 03:06 PM

Chicago State--Summit?
Houston Baptist--Summit?
North Dakota (has football) --Big Sky in 2012, maybe MVFC at some point
South Dakota (has football) -- Missouri Valley
Utah Valley--Big Sky?

This might go a long way towards explaining why Houston Baptist has a sudden interest in football. The other schools are all basketball-only, though I know NJIT has had a very small, student-based group interested in starting a football team.

dbackjon
June 11th, 2011, 05:04 PM

Chicago State--Summit?
Houston Baptist--Summit?
North Dakota--Big Sky in 2012, maybe MVFC at some point
South Dakota--Missouri Valley
Utah Valley--Big Sky?

Chicago State - left Summit before being kicked out. No chance
HBU - Southland is logical home, Summit would have to be desperate to go so far south - they just eliminated to major outliers in Centenary and Southern Utah.
USD is going to the Summit in all sports except football

TexasTerror
June 11th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Utah Valley--Big Sky?

Utah Valley is trying desperately to get into the WAC and you have to read between the lines there.

UVU admin make it seem like Karl Benson is A-OK with them and wants to stage league championships there. It also seems Utah State's desire for football schools only is causing some hold-ups and sources have told BobcatReport.com that the school would contemplate football if that is what it takes to get into the WAC - believe they estimated $6M in costs annually for FBS football. Sounds about right...

DFW HOYA
June 11th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Sounds like Chicago State and Pan-Am are the odd schools out and HBU doesn't want to take a similar path. Pan-Am and HBU are geographically isolated from the non-FB conferences like the Summit and Horizon, which is one of the reasons Centenary dropped out of Division I this past season.

On an unrelated note, the Louisiana legislature is has tentatively agreed to move the University of New Orleans (which also is leaving D-I) out of the LSU system for funding and into the "University of Louisiana System" (Grambling State, Louisiana Tech, McNeese State, Nicholls State, Northwestern State, SE Louisiana, Louisiana-Lafayette, and Louisiana-Monroe). What do these schools all share in common? Division I, for one, and all of them play football.

And per the Valdosta Daily Times link below, "The Legislature of Louisiana wrote a resolution requesting that the University of New Orleans administration suspend its reclassification process to move to Division II until an independent review is conducted and a recommendation is made to its management board."

UNO was expected to start a scholarship football program in 2015 when it was fully settled in Division II--will this change steer UNO back into Division I (which would then be in search of a new confernece of its own)...and with or without football?

http://www.unoprivateers.com/news/2011/4/27/FOOTBALL_0427110709.aspx

http://valdostadailytimes.com/sports/x1557865558/U-of-New-Orleans-hits-bump-in-road-on-way-to-joining-D-II

Lehigh Football Nation
June 11th, 2011, 10:34 PM
On topic with the demise of the Great West but not about Houston Baptist: NJIT's folks have repeatedly said they'd prefer to be in a more "regional league" but it's eminently unclear which league that might be. Once they were turned down by the NEC in favor of Bryant (which sponsors football), it's a head scratcher as to where they might go, and still very much is.

Assuming the NEC is out, the America East is as good a guess as any as to which league might take them. It would make them ten teams, and sort-of give a southern partner with Stony Brook - assuming, of course, that the Seawolves stay in America East. If not them, though, then who? The Patriot League? No way. The MAAC? Sorry, no publics. The MEAC? The Big South?

superman7515
June 11th, 2011, 10:42 PM
It's not like there is any rush, the Great West isn't closing down, just ceasing football operations. There are 16 members, 7 full and 9 associate, and 5 total are leaving for other pastures. They'll still have soccer, baseball, etc.

TexasTerror
June 12th, 2011, 06:29 AM
It's not like there is any rush, the Great West isn't closing down, just ceasing football operations. There are 16 members, 7 full and 9 associate, and 5 total are leaving for other pastures. They'll still have soccer, baseball, etc.

The Great West will continue to serve as a 'league of convenience' or a glorified scheduling arrangement. However you want to put it. I think as long as there are a few independents in every sport, that's what it will be. I do not think it will always exist however as at some point, a few of the all sports schools will find their ways into leagues - HBU included.

TexasTerror
June 12th, 2011, 05:11 PM
HBU got a one-day blitz of publicity... but now it is time to see if they are willing to 'walk the walk' and 'talk the talk'...

Football is nice - but can they commit to upgrading their facilities? There are several high schools in the greater Houston area that have better baseball, softball and basketball facilities than what is in place at HBU. Their facilities would come in dead-last in the league with the exception of soccer.

Will Sloan unveil a plan to upgrade those facilities? That plan may not get the pomp and circumstances that the football one did - but would show they are on the right track to obtaining a conference, instead of their glorified scheduling arrangement...

The HBU fans on the heels of their big announcement have been relatively quiet...

Sly Fox
June 13th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Without the possibility of a league invitation, it wouldn't make sense for them to pony up for upgrades. And for the record, HBU was a Division I member playing in Sharp Gym for years before they finally gave up and dropped down to NAIA. HBU's golf & gymnastics traditions are exceptional. Believe it or not, Colin Montgomerie played for the Huskies back in the day.

LFN - Football is always a major consideration for any school in Texas. But until Sloan's arrival, they school simply did not have the fundraising capabilities to make the move. There are plenty of disgruntled Baylor donors who have no qualms shifting their gifts to a school that fits better into their belief structure than what has happened in Waco. Sloan is working those channels with success thus far and the academic facility upgrades at the school along the Southwest Freeway have been remarkable. The return to DI was the first step toward raising the school's profile (and that was sidetracked by NCAA poobahs in Indy) and football is the logical progression.

TT - I wouldn't expect much of any discussion until the Southland shakeout occurs. If more teams bolt the league then the topic will gain momentum.

TexasTerror
June 13th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Without the possibility of a league invitation, it wouldn't make sense for them to pony up for upgrades. And for the record, HBU was a Division I member playing in Sharp Gym for years before they finally gave up and dropped down to NAIA. HBU's golf & gymnastics traditions are exceptional. Believe it or not, Colin Montgomerie played for the Huskies back in the day.

That was a 'different era' of Division I - if you will. Having been to most of the basketball arenas in the SLC (all of the ones in Louisiana included) - it definitely seems that Sharp Gym is a far cry from the others. As far as baseball and softball - there are definitely high schools in the greater Houston area that have better facilities.

TT - I wouldn't expect much of any discussion until the Southland shakeout occurs. If more teams bolt the league then the topic will gain momentum.

I can agree with that.

If any additional schools - besides TXST and UTSA - were to leave the league, we could see some more action as far as looking at a Houston Baptist, Abilene Christian or whomever else is interested in Division I football within the Southland. I would be curious what were to occur if UNA is not taken into the OVC - which seems to be a foregone conclusion. Guess that's not something to think about...

RabidRabbit
June 13th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Chicago State - left Summit before being kicked out. No chance
HBU - Southland is logical home, Summit would have to be desperate to go so far south - they just eliminated to major outliers in Centenary and Southern Utah.
USD is going to the Summit in all sports except football

And USD wrangled an invite to the MVFC using the Summit to get there. But only after separating themselves from UND/Big SKY.

crossfire07
June 17th, 2011, 10:37 AM

There are high school facilities in the Houston area that put some FCS and FBS stadiums to shame. Them finding a place to play is not going to be a problem.

TexasTerror
August 12th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Press conference on Saturday to talk about Division I status being achieved. Guess the question surrounding HBU's membership attempts will be asked... and perhaps some media will ask the SLC Commish for any comment...

The SLC still seems to be not interested. As I have said recently, if the SLC does not announce the addition of HBU by June 30, 2012 - the school has some issues.

HOUSTON - FOX 26 Sports has learned Houston Baptist University has regained full membership in Division 1 of the NCAA and now has full privileges beginning with the 2011-2012 academic year.

Sources close to the NCAA told FOX 26 Sports HBU received the notification of its approval from the NCAA earlier this week.

The school has called a news conference for Saturday to discuss its Division 1 application.

Read more: http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/local/ncaa-approves-hbu-as-division-1-member#ixzz1UqgULtYH

TexasTerror
August 13th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Today's press conference takes place in the morning - can't wait to see the feedback.

It is my opinion, that the SLC has already provided HBU a list of things it must accomplish before gaining league membership - including adding lights to its baseball facility, upgrading its basketball facility and starting football at an appropriate venue. That's three facility upgrades right there. The league may have also asked them to add women's tennis to comply with Title IX upon adding football, to help add another league sport to their offerings...

Here's an article from today's Chronicle...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/7694939.html

superman7515
August 13th, 2011, 06:25 AM
The SLC still seems to be not interested. As I have said recently, if the SLC does not announce the addition of HBU by June 30, 2012 - the school has some issues.

Straight to the Big 12... Big 9.

TexasTerror
August 14th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Evidently - HBU will not be ready anytime soon to move in to the Southland or Summit League. Upgrading Sharp Gym is not immediate, but "intermediate" at best.

The lights is a nice step forward, but the school continues to have a long way to go. Doubt the Summit League has any interest for many of the reasons the Southland does not. HBU needs to pray that the dominoes lead to more SLC defections... because as it stands, not enough have fallen...

"Our biggest challenge is that we need to bring our facilities up to par with other Division I institutions,” Moniaci said. “The facilities we have serve us very well, but … we’ve got to catch up in that area.”

HBU president Robert B. Sloan Jr. said the university’s immediate plan is to add lighting to its baseball and softball fields. He also said the school is engaged in intermediate-to-long term planning for funding and construction of a special events center that would replace 47-year-old Sharp Gym, which is home to the Huskies men’s and women’s basketball and volleyball teams.

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/7696244.html#ixzz1V0OR7GVU

IaaScribe
August 14th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Wow. I don't think I've even seen a public middle school with a gym that small.

You've never seen Charleston Southern's gym then. It's worse.

Sly Fox
August 14th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Sharp Gym is a practice facility but it sure is conveniently located to US 59 (and just across the street from my old station). It was a great NAIA venue.

This is turning into a chicken-egg situation. Without the possibility of acceptance into a league like the Southland, there won't be facility upgrades. Without facility upgrades, there won't be an invitation from any leagues. I am glad to see baseball is getting the lights. It is a nice first step.

TexasTerror
August 15th, 2011, 05:14 AM
This is turning into a chicken-egg situation. Without the possibility of acceptance into a league like the Southland, there won't be facility upgrades. Without facility upgrades, there won't be an invitation from any leagues. I am glad to see baseball is getting the lights. It is a nice first step.

And without an invite... no football.

HBU is optimistic they'll get an invite because of the SLC issues that have presented themselves and could continue to present themselves, but even then - I think the league is interested in established D2 football programs over HBU.

Sec310
August 15th, 2011, 12:51 PM
There are private schools that have much smaller enrollments, than the rest of the conference. Ever heard of Northwestern? Or Vandy? Duke? Wake Forest?

So HBU getting a SLC invite wouldn't be unheard of. I'm betting the SLC will give a conditional invitation to HBU, fairly soon. The conditions are of course, adding football and then upgrading other facilities.

DG Cowboy
August 15th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Why would the SLC bring up HBU, with all the work to be done there, when they could bring up ACU and Angelo State who both have the facilities in place? Doesn't make sense to me.

McTailGator
August 15th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Why would the SLC bring up HBU, with all the work to be done there, when they could bring up ACU and Angelo State who both have the facilities in place? Doesn't make sense to me.

I don't like them as an option either, but the first letter in HBU stands for HOUSTON, with a 5 million metro population and a crap load of media outlets...

THAT will be tough to pass up.

Sec310
August 15th, 2011, 02:16 PM
And the fact that HBU was got full D1 status in July. Where ACU and Angelo State would need 4-5 years before gaining full D1 status.

DG Cowboy
August 15th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Houston I understand. Will HBU in 5 years have the facilities ACU and Angelo State have now?

McTailGator
August 15th, 2011, 04:01 PM
They can build (or add on to) their existing baseball/softball stadium by the start of the season. Thats easy.

They can also go rent any ISD football for as long as they want and beat the hell out of every SLC School except McNeese and Lamar.

Basketball can do the same (i.e., Berry Center in the Cy-Fair ISD or Katy ISD) and beat up on all but Lamar, and the Berry Center may even be better than that. They also stated yesterday that they want to build a new Basketball arena ASAP.

The Berry Center Stadium and Arena

http://www.berrycenter.net/img/stadium/S_0042.png

Sly Fox
August 15th, 2011, 09:21 PM
I have a great deal of confidence in Sloan's ability to bring in the donations (just ask Baylor fans). But it is a ridiculously tough sell to get someone to donate large sums of money on the off chance that it might result in an invitation to a league.

McTailGator is correct that there are a dozen high school stadiums in Houston better than Angelo State or ACU's current cribs. I wouldn't sweat that anyone near as much as building a new training facility and multipurpose arena (Katy's Merrell Center is a perfect example of what would be perfect for HBU).

TheTSUGrad
August 15th, 2011, 11:33 PM
I don't mean any offense, but our local elementary school has a PE gym newer & larger then that & also has a stage. I'm still pretty new to FCS but does TV markets even really matter the same way as FBS? And even if they do its a school with 2,000 students, will or does anyone follow them or care, I mean if it could really pull the Houston market the Big 12 might pick it up if A&M left, but really come on its, Houston Baptist. At least you pick up a West Texas A&M or ACU or ASU you have the whole town & area following and rallying behind the team. There is alot to do in Houston on a Saturday & other local schools to follow. I just don't see it bringing much of anything. Other then the fact they are already D1 and begging to get in it seems there are many much better even D3 options out there then this.

TexasTerror
August 16th, 2011, 06:31 AM
So HBU getting a SLC invite wouldn't be unheard of. I'm betting the SLC will give a conditional invitation to HBU, fairly soon. The conditions are of course, adding football and then upgrading other facilities.

Sec310 - I am 100% sure that the SLC has already told HBU what it needs to do to be considered. They will not even look at extending an invite til all that has been said is done and even then, depending on the layout of the league (with expansion, defections) - still may not invite them. HBU would be smart for the future of their program to get it done ASAP.

I don't like them as an option either, but the first letter in HBU stands for HOUSTON, with a 5 million metro population and a crap load of media outlets... THAT will be tough to pass up.

It does stand for 'HOUSTON' but I would argue that currently Sam Houston State and to a lesser extent, Stephen F. Austin and/or Lamar - get as much, if not more play in the Houston media market than Houston Baptist. HBU does not have a fan base nor the alumni support to make it worth the Houston media's worthwhile.

And the fact that HBU was got full D1 status in July. Where ACU and Angelo State would need 4-5 years before gaining full D1 status.

Only thing in their favor - pending defections.

It's not a good thing when Nicholls State can look down upon your school in athletic facilities and many other facets of athletics!

TexasTerror
October 25th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Update...

HOUSTON - FOX 26 Sports has learned the Southland Conference will make a site visit to Houston Baptist University on Nov. 9.

Sources with knowledge of the situation told FOX 26 if that visit goes well HBU could be invited to join the SLC and the school would accept.

The Southland Conference contingent will be made up of presidents and athletics directors from its member schools.

Read more: http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/ncaa_football/111025-southland-conference-to-visit-houston-baptist-university#ixzz1bpOIrBpR

TexasTerror
October 26th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Outside of Houston Baptist, should be interesting to see what they come up with. I've got an idea, but Burnett is right though - nine football schools is ideal.
-----

Oral Roberts, which does not play football, will be the Southland's 10th member for 2012-13 with the departures of Texas State. Texas-San Antonio and Texas-Arlington for the Western Athletic Conference. Eight of the current nine schools play football, and Burnett said nine football schools would be ideal for scheduling.

He said seven to eight schools have contacted the league about membership.

"There's no shortage of interest," Burnett said.

http://www.chron.com/sports/college/article/Southland-adds-Oral-Roberts-turns-focus-to-2235814.php

katstrapper
October 26th, 2011, 07:35 AM
HBU couldnt compete in the SLC and SLC is not going to give them a sniff.

If anything, I am sure that the majority of the 7-8 schools showing interest could be from the Lone Star. Abilene Chrisitian, Angelo St , A&M- Kingsville, and Tarleton St are all schools that would fit in the SLC.

If UT-Arllington would get their crap together and add football, that would be an in-house move and would be the best option. UTA has great facilities, in a major market and is a nice sized school.

slycat
October 26th, 2011, 07:42 AM
HBU has a lot to do to get ready for the SLC. A campus visit is kind of a big deal though. With "so many schools interested" I find it interesting that this is the first first they are taking.

slycat
October 26th, 2011, 07:47 AM
This does stabilize the Southland Conference by presenting an excellent opportunity to add a football-playing member.

I am not sure this does anything to aid Sam Houston State in staying around longer because if an invitation comes, the institution will have no choice, but to accept - particularly if Lamar does as well. Anyone interested in what SHSU does just needs to keep an eye on any potential further changes to college realignment that will really push the WAC into even more of a quandry.

I am pretty excited about Houston Baptist adding football (if they get a SLC invite - which I am sure they would). They would have some Title IX issues, but hopefully they would add bowling and we'd have three SLC schools with the sport... got to get a few more to make it officially a SLC sponsored sport.

Has SHSU made any progess in vast improvements to Bowers to join the WAC? has there been any fan push to join? On here all Bearkats seem to laugh at eh WAC and have no interest in going, Without fan support there is no point. Has y'alls attendance improved off your successful season? Last I checked after the first few weeks it was well below 10,000. While the WAc may get desperate, SHSU needs to show they are at least interested in joining or trying to improve.

dbackjon
October 26th, 2011, 10:52 AM
HBU couldnt compete in the SLC and SLC is not going to give them a sniff.

If anything, I am sure that the majority of the 7-8 schools showing interest could be from the Lone Star. Abilene Chrisitian, Angelo St , A&M- Kingsville, and Tarleton St are all schools that would fit in the SLC.

If UT-Arllington would get their crap together and add football, that would be an in-house move and would be the best option. UTA has great facilities, in a major market and is a nice sized school.

UTA is joining the WAC

DFW HOYA
October 26th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Did anyone call up New Orleans? (Just kidding...)

TexasTerror
October 26th, 2011, 12:18 PM

Based on interviews that I have heard and articles that I have read, the Southland would prefer current Division I schools who already have the sport of football or intend to add the sport. The only schools that really fit that within the region are FBS institutions that could consider a move down to FCS - which is not likely (as it has not happened before) OR a Houston Baptist, which pledged to add the sport if they get a conference invite.

The SLC could look into the SWAC... and according to 3rd Coast Tiger (well connected at TSU), they have made that call before - but just do not see that option coming to fruition. Those schools are deeply rooted in their rivalries with other HBCUs in the SWAC and obviously another issue that exists is that TSU, PVAMU or whomever may not feel they can compete on a consistent basis. Perhaps in football, but down the line - baseball, Title IX/Women's sports, etc. Then again, it may help them recruit? Not sure. There is a PWC in a HBCU in Div II though.

Has SHSU made any progess in vast improvements to Bowers to join the WAC? has there been any fan push to join? On here all Bearkats seem to laugh at eh WAC and have no interest in going, Without fan support there is no point. Has y'alls attendance improved off your successful season? Last I checked after the first few weeks it was well below 10,000. While the WAc may get desperate, SHSU needs to show they are at least interested in joining or trying to improve.

The Event Center is the first project that would provide some revenue-producing areas to the stadium and would be similar in nature to your club level at Bobcat Stadium to some degree. I think that's the first step in upgrading Bowers Stadium and one that is needed. Look forward to more details there...

Attendance and financial goals have still not been met at this point either. We're a few years away in both, but I think if we can sustain a winner in football, we can build attendance... and perhaps increase the financial goals to some degree. What that bottom line number that will fully satisfy the staff infrastructure needs or SHSU and make FBS possible is one that I am sure our President is well aware of.

Sec310
October 26th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Based on interviews that I have heard and articles that I have read, the Southland would prefer current Division I schools who already have the sport of football or intend to add the sport. The only schools that really fit that within the region are FBS institutions that could consider a move down to FCS - which is not likely (as it has not happened before) OR a Houston Baptist, which pledged to add the sport if they get a conference invite.

The SLC could look into the SWAC... and according to 3rd Coast Tiger (well connected at TSU), they have made that call before - but just do not see that option coming to fruition. Those schools are deeply rooted in their rivalries with other HBCUs in the SWAC and obviously another issue that exists is that TSU, PVAMU or whomever may not feel they can compete on a consistent basis. Perhaps in football, but down the line - baseball, Title IX/Women's sports, etc. Then again, it may help them recruit? Not sure. There is a PWC in a HBCU in Div II though.

The Event Center is the first project that would provide some revenue-producing areas to the stadium and would be similar in nature to your club level at Bobcat Stadium to some degree. I think that's the first step in upgrading Bowers Stadium and one that is needed. Look forward to more details there...

Attendance and financial goals have still not been met at this point either. We're a few years away in both, but I think if we can sustain a winner in football, we can build attendance... and perhaps increase the financial goals to some degree. What that bottom line number that will fully satisfy the staff infrastructure needs or SHSU and make FBS possible is one that I am sure our President is well aware of.

ORU has no intention of adding football but they just got invited to the Southland.

I think the Southland will try and get back to 12 schools with, ideally 10, but 9 would work, football schools. In 2012, that will be 10 schools and 8 football schools.

slycat
October 26th, 2011, 01:12 PM

The Bearkats had pretty decent attendance a few years ago. But with a subpar team for a couple seasons, it seems like peoples interest were lost.

TexasTerror
October 26th, 2011, 03:42 PM
ORU has no intention of adding football but they just got invited to the Southland.

Never said they do. In ORU's case (and there's few non-football schools that could follow suit at the low-major level), they actually upgrade the league across the board in a number of sports, particularly women's sports. Also bring a solid market (Tulsa).

As far as football, there were not ramifications added to their agreement with the SLC as there likely would be for Houston Baptist.

I think the Southland will try and get back to 12 schools with, ideally 10, but 9 would work, football schools. In 2012, that will be 10 schools and 8 football schools.

I agree.

The Bearkats had pretty decent attendance a few years ago. But with a subpar team for a couple seasons, it seems like peoples interest were lost.

Yep - I agree that was part of it. Another part is we're reporting REAL numbers. Do I dare ask what happens if other schools did that? ;)

katstrapper
October 26th, 2011, 05:14 PM

You can thank Todd Whitten for the rapid decline in attendance. SHSU had the best opportunity to build on momentum after the 2004 season.

Coach Fritz will turn that around. It will take another year or so, but I think the stands will be packed again.

Slycat,

SHSU is getting ready to make big improvements to Bowers Stadium including an events center, addition of more suites and more renovations to the pressbox side of the stadium. Also, I am hoping they will remove the track from Bowers in the future. The University has already been given approval to build a soccer/ track and field complex in their capital improvement budget. So to answer your question, yes movement is being made.

And no, SHSU really doesnt have a huge desire to move to the WAC and I agree with them. With all the conference re-alignment going on, I think a better opportunity could possible present itself in the future.

rexreed
October 26th, 2011, 08:55 PM
HBU got a one-day blitz of publicity... but now it is time to see if they are willing to 'walk the walk' and 'talk the talk'...

Football is nice - but can they commit to upgrading their facilities? There are several high schools in the greater Houston area that have better baseball, softball and basketball facilities than what is in place at HBU. Their facilities would come in dead-last in the league with the exception of soccer.

The high school facilites you mention are better than ANY in the SLC currently- If TSU can get a new stadium there is no reason I can think of to doubt that HBU can muster up suitable venues.

TexasTerror
October 27th, 2011, 07:26 AM
The high school facilites you mention are better than ANY in the SLC currently- If TSU can get a new stadium there is no reason I can think of to doubt that HBU can muster up suitable venues.

You are telling me that Butler Stadium and Delmar Stadium (and their accompany field houses) are better than any in the SLC? Perhaps in the case of the field houses when comparing to a few of the facilities in the 'eastern portion' of the league, but not really...

Those stadiums are the ones that Texas Southern has used for football and likely the ones that Houston Baptist will use for football once they start-up. TSU was able to get a football stadium in partnership with the Houston Dynamo. It was pure politics! I believe that HBU may need to look into a public/private partnership to do the same - though not sure who they can link up with. Did notice HBU is playing SHSU at the Skeeters' ballpark in Sugar Land this year for baseball. Perhaps we required it in order to play a NIGHT game, since HBU has no lights.

TexasTerror
November 6th, 2011, 04:41 PM
HBU's annual tradition of losing to lower-level foes at Homecoming remains intact... back-to-back years. Believe it was a D3 last year.

http://hbuhuskies.com/news/2011/11/5/MBB_1105112357.aspx

rexreed
November 6th, 2011, 10:53 PM
You are telling me that Butler Stadium and Delmar Stadium (and their accompany field houses) are better than any in the SLC? Perhaps in the case of the field houses when comparing to a few of the facilities in the 'eastern portion' of the league, but not really...

Delmar and Butler are not mentioned in the same conversations about nice high school stadiums. Katy, Cy-Fair, Fort bend and Brazoria are the nice facilities. I doubt HBU would do anything just because TSU did it.

TexasTerror
November 7th, 2011, 06:01 AM
Delmar and Butler are not mentioned in the same conversations about nice high school stadiums. Katy, Cy-Fair, Fort bend and Brazoria are the nice facilities. I doubt HBU would do anything just because TSU did it.

I figured HBU would try to keep the facilities within a few miles of campus... they could certainly go into the 'burbs. I think they are for baseball when they play SHSU at the Skeeters' new park in Sugar Land (due to lack of lights at their baseball facility).

UAPB beat writer was cursing about the Delmar Stadium press box on his Twitter account and experiences there during a TSU game. LOL

Sly Fox
November 7th, 2011, 11:34 AM
HBU is primarily a commuter school so being close to campus is essentially a non-issue. There are PLENTY of high school districts who would be willing to make their stadium available that are head & shoulders better than HISD venues.

And yes, I can speak from personal experience that Delmar's pressbox is nowhere you would ever want to be. And let's not even talk about leaving your car parked in the lot.

TexasTerror
November 9th, 2011, 02:42 PM
FYI...

HBU Board of Trustees voted Tuesday to add football by '14 with coach to be hired in '12. Southland Conference on campus today for meetings...

Story... http://www.click2houston.com/sports/29727687/detail.html

TexasTerror
November 9th, 2011, 05:27 PM
More to come??

Southland Conference officials concluded a site visit of Houston Baptist University on Wednesday, a visit that SLC commissioner Tom Burnett called a "very serious step" as the conference considers adding members.

Burnett cited the university's announcement of its intentions to add football, which it made this summer, as a large part of the reason for the visit.

http://www.chron.com/sports/college/article/Southland-Conference-makes-visit-to-HBU-campus-2260654.php

TexasTerror
November 9th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Story below now updated to reflect football could start by '13 (SLC may want that), special events center and that the process could be short with SLC...

http://www.chron.com/sports/college/article/Southland-Conference-makes-visit-to-HBU-campus-2260654.php

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2011, 07:42 PM
HBU is coming into the league...

Houston Baptist will join the Southland Conference, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

HBU has a press conference scheduled for Nov. 21 when the conference change is expected to be announced.

Southland Conference officials visited the HBU campus for a site visit on Nov. 9, and Southland commissioner Tom Burnett said he expected a quick process regarding a potential invitation to HBU.

http://www.chron.com/sports/college/article/Houston-Baptist-to-join-Southland-Conference-2277082.php

TexasTerror
November 21st, 2011, 12:20 PM
Press conference at 1:30 p.m... link below.

http://hbuhuskies.com/news/2011/11/21/GEN_1121111620.aspx

Or better yet... go to SLC NOW... on Southland.org.

TexasTerror
November 21st, 2011, 01:31 PM
Press release...

FRISCO, Texas - The Southland Conference and Houston Baptist University announced Monday that the institution will become the newest member of the NCAA Division I league. The university will become the 11th member of the Southland on July 1, 2013, and will then become eligible for conference championships and NCAA automatic bids in most of the league's sports.

Houston Baptist, a private institution that rejoined NCAA Division I this year, announced last month it will start a football program that will compete at the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) level and. HBU's football program will join the Southland in 2014, giving the league an all-time high of nine football teams.

Additionally, the university has plans to replace 48-year-old Sharp Gym, home of HBU basketball and volleyball, with a new multi-purpose Special Events Center on its campus in southwest Houston.

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=205336618

TexasTerror
November 21st, 2011, 02:00 PM
Notes...

Full SLC members on July 1, 2013

Will be SLC football members in Fall '14, may start football in Fall '13. Matter of getting coach hired, program started. Does not want to rush into it, want to do it right.

'Lot of coaches' HBU is interested in. Very shortly, begin the process to find out who is interested.

Facility for football - talked to several venues around Houston. Lay of land changing with Dynamo/TSU Stadium, similar to Frisco where FCS plays national championship. That might be option. Another college facility. Board member said, "heck with it, let's play at Reliant". Everything on table.

Timeline on coach - HBU has fundraising before they can start hiring coach. Hope to have it done in "next couple weeks". If wrapped up, immediately begin process of finding football coach.

Issues on campus to work out before moving forward on Special Events Center (for hoops/VB).

Plan to add another women's sport - said planned to do that before even adding football.

Dallas Demon
November 21st, 2011, 07:06 PM
Plenty of nice facilities in Houston for HBU to play football. Welcome to the SLC Huskies!

TexasTerror
November 21st, 2011, 10:22 PM
Plenty of nice facilities in Houston for HBU to play football. Welcome to the SLC Huskies!

Still not sure where they would play... would Texas Southern and the Dynamo let another team play there? Don't see many weekends being available between 5 or 6 TSU games on Saturdays and plenty of MLS games. Too much football would rip up that field.

Sly Fox
November 22nd, 2011, 11:31 AM
They're not likely to get into the Dynamo Stadium. But if UH gets their new crib up & rolling (and that's a huge IF) then Robertson Stadium would be a sweet venue. Otherwise there are plenty of quality high school stadium options that would make most FCS programs green with envy.

I'm seriously jazzed about this development for HBU. Considering their position lost in the DI wilderness, this is about an awesome development for them as they could ever imagine.

TexasTerror
November 22nd, 2011, 12:12 PM
They're not likely to get into the Dynamo Stadium. But if UH gets their new crib up & rolling (and that's a huge IF) then Robertson Stadium would be a sweet venue. Otherwise there are plenty of quality high school stadium options that would make most FCS programs green with envy.

You still got the situation that Robertson is likely to come tumbling down once the new stadium is built (which I figure the money will be there if they go Big East). Even if Robertson stays afloat, the condition of it will likely deteriorate quickly since UH will have another stadium to take care of and there'll be less events. Further, you still got to be careful of scheduling on UH game days if the Cougars are playing on campus still. Too many hurdles...

I'm seriously jazzed about this development for HBU. Considering their position lost in the DI wilderness, this is about an awesome development for them as they could ever imagine.

Until they put the shovel in the ground on the Special Events Center... and until they hire a football coach, they still got some issues to work out. Seems like they believe the money will be there... time to see action!

Sly Fox
November 22nd, 2011, 01:46 PM
Robertson's fate is still yet to be determined. But the school did a fair job of maintaining the place while the Coogs were calling the 'Dome home. Frankly a smaller and newer venue like the Berry Center would be a better fit. But CFISD keeps adding schools so that stadium is booked up most every Saturday. There certainly are an abundance of quality high school stadium options.

Hood
November 23rd, 2011, 07:50 PM
Welcome to HBU! Hopefully they'll fall on our schedule to be away when we have SHSU at home and vice versa. I wouldn't mind making that trip EVERY year.

TexasTerror
November 23rd, 2011, 08:00 PM
Welcome to HBU! Hopefully they'll fall on our schedule to be away when we have SHSU at home and vice versa. I wouldn't mind making that trip EVERY year.

The league already does a good job splitting up the trips to SLU/Nicholls for everyone.

If we are looking at an eight-game schedule, I presume the league will do as good a job splitting up the games.

Perhaps they'll do their diligence to split SHSU/HBU, Lamar/McNeese, SFA/NWST and SLU/NICH. Those seem to be the schools closest to each other. UCA is kind of just 'out there' and do not think it makes a difference...

Sly Fox
November 24th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Now that the Greens have put ORU back on the path to financial stability, is there any chance ORU adds football down the road?

GeauxLions94
November 24th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Now that the Greens have put ORU back on the path to financial stability, is there any chance ORU adds football down the road?

They said "no" when making the announcement on joining the Southland and there was no chance of adding it in the future. I wouldn't look for any change in tune for the next few years.

TexasTerror
November 24th, 2011, 03:14 PM
They said "no" when making the announcement on joining the Southland and there was no chance of adding it in the future. I wouldn't look for any change in tune for the next few years.

Do hope that ORU will look into adding softball, it'd benefit the league!

Of course, HBU needs to add women's sports in light of their football efforts. Hoping that women's tennis and bowling are in their cards. If they add bowling, it'd give the SLC a third school with the sport and we wouldn't be far from a championship!

BEAR
November 24th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Quoting Allen Iverson....."Bowling? You talkin' about bowling? ....Bowling?" xlolx

chazg
November 24th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Where will HBU be playing their games at?

Dallas Demon
November 24th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Where will HBU be playing their games at?

Unknown at this point. There are plenty of options in Houston, however, including many high school stadiums that are much nicer than many FCS schools.

Sly Fox
November 26th, 2011, 11:27 AM
At the newser HBU hinted that they might be working to get into the new Dynamo Stadium along with TSU. I just don't see how that could happen. But once again, football stadiums are not tough to find in Houston.