PDA

View Full Version : CAA Meetings - Who Stays, Who Goes......

jstclmet
June 10th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Nobody knows what changes will occur on the college football landscape in the coming years.

Conferences in the Football Bowl Subdivision continue to realign to create a better power base, while some Football Championship Subdivision programs are intent on joining the party.

For now, the University of Maine feels secure in its affiliation with the Colonial Athletic Association.

The CAA held its annual football meetings last weekend at Hilton Head, S.C., where coaches and administrators discussed numerous issues pertinent to their member schools.

“Every school represents its own interests, but they all care deeply and sincerely about the best interests of the conference and the best interests of the member institutions, and that was very refreshing,” said UMaine athletic director Steve Abbott.

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/06/09/sports/abbott-encouraged-by-caa-football-meetings-umaine%E2%80%99s-future-affiliation-uncertain/

Lehigh Football Nation
June 10th, 2011, 10:38 AM
The alternatives include forming a new Northeast-based conference that includes UMaine and UNH — possibly with the likes of America East Conference members Stony Brook and Albany in the mix — or aligning with another league in the region.

Abbott said UMaine must begin looking at its options, which include staying in the CAA.

Fascinating.

Coastal44
June 10th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Does the CAA normally hold their meetings in South Carolina?

DFW HOYA
June 10th, 2011, 11:02 AM
"The alternatives include forming a new Northeast-based conference that includes UMaine and UNH — possibly with the likes of America East Conference members Stony Brook and Albany in the mix — or aligning with another league in the region.

What, more NEC expansion?

GannonFan
June 10th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Does the CAA normally hold their meetings in South Carolina?

That was the main reason why we brought Georgia State into the fold to begin with - that way the big wigs could have a weekend at a nice resort in Hilton Head, complete with several rounds of golf, and say we were only doing it so that Georgia State would feel like a valued member of the conference. xlolx

Tuscon
June 10th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Also, we were already a member of the conference.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 12th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Perhaps Mr. Warner should have done a little research before insinuating that UNH's travel costs were the same as Maine's. He would have learned that UNH doesn't take charters like he states that Maine does. When I do the math that I've posted here before, it looks like UNH can take three flights South for what it costs Maine for one ($70K charter from the linked article).

From talking with player's parents and media members, I know UNH flies commercially on Southwest, AirTran or JetBlue for Villanova and all CAA schools South. My math was $250 per ticket (probably high) for a travel party of 100 (again a high estimate) which equates to $25K per flight. With two airports (Manchester, NH and Boston) with discount carriers within an hour of Durham, UNH has less expensive travel than UMaine.

I don't have the link to total expenses per school handy, but my memory says that UNH's football expenses are over $3MM and the overall athletic budget is over $25MM. If we have to take two more flights a year for a $50K increase, it's a fraction of the overall budgets. If football is as important as I've seen our AD quoted, then I'll find a way for that travel expense increase. Especially when there are no viable alternatives for conference affiliation that provide high quality competition and a true opportunity to win a national championship.

jstclmet
June 15th, 2011, 04:31 PM
This is the video shown at the league's welcome reception to open up the 2011 CAA Football Annual Meetings in South Carolina by CAASPORTSPRODUCTIONS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i83EPRDaBa8&

citdog
June 16th, 2011, 12:13 AM
I am glad the CAA has decided not to honor the ncaa's boycott of the GREAT and SOVEREIGN State of South Carolina!

http://tishmackayphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/sc-flag-blog-682x1024.jpg

The Eagle's Cliff
June 16th, 2011, 07:00 AM
I am glad the CAA has decided not to honor the ncaa's boycott of the GREAT and SOVEREIGN State of South Carolina!

Alright Citdog, you know very well that Hilton Head has been under Yankee Occupation for at least 40 years and spread like virus to Bluffton and Beaufort the last 20!

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsxJfGahQseRmWpiszHKcVQYuwaf9H2 W7Tb4baTGn93EpsLKYnDw

49RFootballNow
June 16th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Alright Citdog, you know very well that Hilton Head has been under Yankee Occupation for at least 40 years and spread like virus to Bluffton and Beaufort the last 20!

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsxJfGahQseRmWpiszHKcVQYuwaf9H2 W7Tb4baTGn93EpsLKYnDw

Yes but those DY taxes flow back to Columbia and there's not a whole lot of DY's in that city.