PDA

View Full Version : BURTON CSN COLUMN: APR Still Brutally Harsh For HBCUs

CSN-info
June 8th, 2011, 06:16 PM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=557&d=1305864799

By Chuck Burton
Associate Editor
College Sporting News

On May 25, the NCAA handed out its Academic Progress Rate (APR) penalties for schools that have not met the NCAA's minimum acceptable score of 925.

Teams from Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU's) were disproportionately slammed with penalties — scholarship restrictions, practice restrictions and, in some cases, postseason bans.

There have been many experts that have noticed the trend that HBCU's are suffering the most from the NCAA's APR penalty system, not least NCAA President Mark Emmert, who has voiced his concerns.

But what really ought to happen is to seriously restructure the APR system immediately — and even reverse the penalties the NCAA waged against the HBCU population. ...

Read the entire article... (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?499-APR-Still-Brutally-Harsh-For-HBCUs)

Redhawk2010
June 8th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Well maybe it's time we look at whether these schools are so important they must be on their own. If they cannot afford the financial aid and cannot afford to fund their school then it's time the states look at making changes. These schools shouldn't remain simply because of history, but instead it's time to consider consolidation with other state schools who are likely also suffering.

This shouldn't be a reason to change the APR.

citdog
June 8th, 2011, 07:55 PM
so if these schools cannot meet the BARE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS all rules should be changed to make it easier for them? sell that bull**** somewhere else chuck. THE RULES OF THE APR ARE THE SAME FOR EVERYONE AND UNLESS A "PLESSY VS FERGUSON" SITUATION IS NOW OK THESE SCHOOLS SHOULD BE SUBJECT TO THE RULES JUST THE SAME AS EVERYONE ELSE.

http://www.stus.com/images/products/con0008.gif

Purple Pride
June 8th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Amen 'dog.

WestCoastAggie
June 8th, 2011, 08:25 PM
On one hand, My school along with other HBCU's are going to face the music when it comes to the APR. But then again, what people who feel like CitDog fail to understand the true dilemma that Div-1 HBCU's face, along with most HBCU's in general. This dilemma is on two fronts:

1. The mission of the HBCU in the first place, which usually is on the premise of giving those who would not have the opportunity to attend college.

2. The fact that many HBCU players are recruited from the JUCO ranks and in many cases, they are Prop 48 kids.

We also can't forget about money. Many HBCU's are towards the bottom of Athletic Funding. Most of these schools rely on students that receive Federal Student Aid. Many of these schools have to basically force their coaching staffs to perform 2 jobs; coach and make sure their kids are in class. At A&T, for example, Coach Lee and his staff had to actively make sure his kids were not only attending study hall but make sure the kids were eligible. We managed to have an APR score of 927 for the 09/10 year. Unfortunately, many of the kids Lee recruited were Prop 48 kids.

Personally, I feel that my school, along with the MEAC should look into some drastic changes in the kind of kids we recruit, IF we want to remain on the Div-1 level. This may include implementing a system much like what the Patriot League and Ivy League have. We also have to find ways to improve our Compliance offices. Most teams in the MEAC only have 1-2 people in the Compliance Dept.

BTW: If you think FBS and FCS schools are playing fair with this APR thing, you really need to stop and perhaps look at what's going on at your own school. You might be surprised at how the numbers are "calculated". xwhistlex

citdog
June 8th, 2011, 08:30 PM
On one hand, My school along with other HBCU's are going to face the music when it comes to the APR. But then again, what people who feel like CitDog fail to understand the true dilemma that Div-1 HBCU's face, along with most HBCU's in general. This dilemma is on two fronts:

1. The mission of the HBCU in the first place, which usually is on the premise of giving those who would not have the opportunity to attend college.

2. The fact that many HBCU players are recruited from the JUCO ranks and in many cases, they are Prop 48 kids.

We also can't forget about money. Many HBCU's are towards the bottom of Athletic Funding. Most of these schools rely on students that receive Federal Student Aid. Many of these schools have to basically force their coaching staffs to perform 2 jobs; coach and make sure their kids are in class. At A&T, for example, Coach Lee and his staff had to actively make sure his kids were not only attending study hall but make sure the kids were eligible. We managed to have an APR score of 927 for the 09/10 year. Unfortunately, many of the kids Lee recruited were Prop 48 kids.

Personally, I feel that my school, along with the MEAC should look into some drastic changes in the kind of kids we recruit, IF we want to remain on the Div-1 level. This may include implementing a system much like what the Patriot League and Ivy League have. We also have to find ways to improve our Compliance offices. Most teams in the MEAC only have 1-2 people in the Compliance Dept.

BTW: If you think FBS and FCS schools are playing fair with this APR thing, you really need to stop and perhaps look at what's going on at your own school. You might be surprised at how the numbers are "calculated". xwhistlex

what about all that "classic" money and 90000000000000000000000 fans in attendance and espn tv deals you're always bragging about. YOU'RE NOT GETTING THE JOB DONE ACADEMICALLY AND NOW BECAUSE OF YOUR FAILINGS YOU WANT THE RULES CHANGED TO EXCUSE YOUR SLACKNESS. IT'S SAD AND FRANKLY VERY PATHETIC. IF YOU CAN'T SPELL WITH THE BIG DOGS.........GET TO DIVISION III. Would YOU really like to accuse THE CITADEL of some type of deception concerning the APR?

WestCoastAggie
June 8th, 2011, 08:42 PM
what about all that "classic" money and 90000000000000000000000 fans in attendance and espn tv deals you're always bragging about. YOU'RE NOT GETTING THE JOB DONE ACADEMICALLY AND NOW BECAUSE OF YOUR FAILINGS YOU WANT THE RULES CHANGED TO EXCUSE YOUR SLACKNESS. IT'S SAD AND FRANKLY VERY PATHETIC. IF YOU CAN'T SPELL WITH THE BIG DOGS.........GET TO DIVISION III.

1. ESPN is pimping our the MEAC. Personally, I HATE our ESPN Deal. If you ever see me bragging about this, please let me know.

2. I did not say that the rules needed to be changed. All I am saying is that you, and others who are quickly saying "OFF WITH THEIR HEADS" should perhaps place some different lenses and at least try to understand the dilemma these schools are faced with. Which leads to...

3. I actually agree with you. Schools in the MEAC and the SWAC either need to Crap or get off the pot. The APR rules were put in place as a way to make sure Kids are achieving their main objective (getting a college degree). HBCU's may have challenges but we got to get on it. Many of us are finally starting to get it. We just gotta get the rest of us on the boat.

3. You're right (**GASPS**) HBCU's have to get it together, if we want to remain on the Div-1 level. No one is disagreeing with that.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 8th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Everyone here is falling into the same trap. You are making this an argument about academics, when it's really about retention.

citdog
June 8th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Everyone here is falling into the same trap. You are making this an argument about academics, when it's really about retention.

Think we might have a bit of a problem with that too? Somehow we manage...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMidadrRcpg

phoenix3
June 8th, 2011, 09:37 PM
The more you change the rules to make it OK to be substandard, the more you make a mockery of the schools and the entire purpose of the program as a whole. The purpose of the school, student athletes included, is/should be, to give the student an education with which they can compete in the real world. APR is a way to punish the school for NOT providing an acceptable education to the student athletes. Especially at the FCS level, it makes very little sense for the program to bring in a student athlete and not provide him/her with a reasonable education.

WileECoyote06
June 9th, 2011, 07:51 AM
I just wanted to point out that this statement is completely false:

While Ohio State has yearly athletic expenses of $104 million, the combined endowment of the schools of SWAC and MEAC combined don't even come close what the state flagship of Ohio spends in a single season.

We certainly could use more financial resources, but Howard, and Hampton both have endowments over 100 million dollars themselves. That is blatantly false.

gophoenix
June 9th, 2011, 07:58 AM

That is true to a point; but that isn't the whole picture of the APR.

The question remains is the mission of the HBCUs in modern society. The argument just made was it gives kids that otherwise not have an opportunity for college an entrance into college. If that's the case, how does that change if the mentality of HBCUs change? And overall, is it the overall mission of HBCUs that's the problem, or is it recruiting of athletes that is the problem? And then there's the last point, should schools like A&T/UNCG merge? There's lots of examples of this in many cities where HBCUs exist.

WileECoyote06
June 9th, 2011, 09:46 AM
That is true to a point; but that isn't the whole picture of the APR.

The question remains is the mission of the HBCUs in modern society. The argument just made was it gives kids that otherwise not have an opportunity for college an entrance into college. If that's the case, how does that change if the mentality of HBCUs change? And overall, is it the overall mission of HBCUs that's the problem, or is it recruiting of athletes that is the problem? And then there's the last point, should schools like A&T/UNCG merge? There's lots of examples of this in many cities where HBCUs exist.

A & T and UNC-G will never merge. Southern and LSU will never merge. TSU and Houston will never merge. FAMU and FSU will never merge. Morgan State and UMBC will never merge. The schools have vastly different backgrounds, history, missions, and educational focus.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 9th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I just wanted to point out that this statement is completely false:

We certainly could use more financial resources, but Howard, and Hampton both have endowments over 100 million dollars themselves. That is blatantly false.

It's been changed:

While Ohio State has an endowment of over $2 billion dollars, the combined endowment of the schools of SWAC and MEAC combined don't even come close to half that number.

The state flagship of Ohio spends $105 million on athletics in a single season. In contrast, Texas Southern - one of the schools cited for APR violations - spends $8.8 million on its entire athletics program, or 1/11 of what The Ohio State University spends.

Redhawk2010
June 9th, 2011, 10:29 AM
The state flagship of Ohio spends $105 million on athletics in a single season. In contrast, Texas Southern - one of the schools cited for APR violations - spends $8.8 million on its entire athletics program, or 1/11 of what The Ohio State University spends.

Yeah, so? There's a lot of schools that spend that small amount and still meet the requirements. Last I checked, SEMO's budget was around that $8milliion mark for all sports. We've had our issues with the NCAA, but we're not begging for them to change the rules to help us fit.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 9th, 2011, 10:38 AM
The more you change the rules to make it OK to be substandard, the more you make a mockery of the schools and the entire purpose of the program as a whole. The purpose of the school, student athletes included, is/should be, to give the student an education with which they can compete in the real world. APR is a way to punish the school for NOT providing an acceptable education to the student athletes. Especially at the FCS level, it makes very little sense for the program to bring in a student athlete and not provide him/her with a reasonable education.

My thesis is that the APR system of measurement is very much broken in terms of FCS schools, and in particular HBCU's.

I think the APR is very much misbranded. It is intended to determine academic eligibility for semi-pro athletes in order to make sure that the Ohio State's and USC's don't treat the athletes like indentured servants and make sure they're actually going to class. In that endeavor, the APR works well.

Below that level, though, the APR is more about retention rather than academics.

If you're an FBS program, you have 85 scholarships. You are tied to that university to pay your tuition, whether you play or not.

If the school is paying for you to play, you have a lot of motivation to stay academically eligible. Your scholarship represents money - and you're a semi-pro athlete, who could playing for a shot in the NFL.

But FCS programs have up to 63 equivalencies. On every team these are split up, and many schools don't fully fund 63 partial scholarships.

Almost all of these kids are not playing in the NFL, or even the CFL or Arena League. Scholarships change - partials go away, financial situations change. They have a whole dimension of retention that isn't even a thought at the FBS level.

Financial issues, then, are a way of life with the APR numbers at the FCS level, not necessarily academics.

And specifically for HBCU's there are retention issues that go beyond academics that are linked to their mission - educating first-generation kids, juco transfers, kids from not very well-to-do families. They lose a lot of students simply because there's a family crisis, or the family can no longer afford to pay - and it's not like there's a lot of scholarship money floating around, either, in many of these HBCU's to allow these kids to stay in school, even as athletes.

How much of their retention issues are a result of overall finances? We don't know for sure, but financial retention has always been a huge problem with the APR in a lot of schools, not just HBCU's. Sacramento State has similar issues with transfers and mission. So does Morehead State. It's not that these schools are necessarily running rogue programs - how many Gridiron Classics and Big Sky Titles were won by Morehead State and Sac State respectively? - it's that finances play an outsized part of APR numbers when you get to the FCS level.

Is it right to punish schools because their student body consists mostly of students that are first-time college kids, or kids getting a second chance?

This is why the APR needs to be reformed.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 9th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Yeah, so? There's a lot of schools that spend that small amount and still meet the requirements. Last I checked, SEMO's budget was around that $8milliion mark for all sports. We've had our issues with the NCAA, but we're not begging for them to change the rules to help us fit.

Do you think SEMO's four years of APR scholarship reductions were because you guys were running a rogue program? I sure don't think so, unless you know something I don't. I think kids dropping out financially (and a head coaching change) might have had a lot more to do with it.

citdog
June 9th, 2011, 10:47 AM
My thesis is that the APR system of measurement is very much broken in terms of FCS schools, and in particular HBCU's.

I think the APR is very much misbranded. It is intended to determine academic eligibility for semi-pro athletes in order to make sure that the Ohio State's and USC's don't treat the athletes like indentured servants and make sure they're actually going to class. In that endeavor, the APR works well.

Below that level, though, the APR is more about retention rather than academics.

If you're an FBS program, you have 85 scholarships. You are tied to that university to pay your tuition, whether you play or not.

But FCS programs have up to 63 equivalencies. On every team these are split up, and many schools don't fully fund 63 partial scholarships.

Financial issues, then, are a way of life with the APR numbers at the FCS level, not necessarily academics.

And specifically for HBCU's there are retention issues that go beyond academics that are linked to their mission - educating first-generation kids, juco transfers, kids from not very well-to-do families. They lose a lot of students simply because there's a family crisis, or the family can no longer afford to pay - and it's not like there's a lot of scholarship money floating around, either, in many of these HBCU's to allow these kids to stay in school, even as athletes.

How much of their retention issues are a result of overall finances? We don't know for sure, but financial retention has always been a huge problem with the APR in a lot of schools, not just HBCU's. Sacramento State has similar issues with transfers and mission. So does Morehead State. It's not that these schools are necessarily running rogue programs - how many Gridiron Classics and Big Sky Titles were won by Morehead State and Sac State respectively? - it's that finances play an outsized part of APR numbers when you get to the FCS level.

Is it right to punish schools because their student body consists mostly of students that are first-time college kids, or kids getting a second chance?

perhaps some of these students don't belong in college.

you've got a SERIOUS, OUT OF CONTROL CASE OF......

http://www.africancrisis.co.za/images/Pic_Yep1._here_it_is1._Liberal_White_Guilt_on_full _display_in_America1._LWG-Obama1.jpg

Your whole argument that these institutions need to have the rules changed just for them because of WHO THEY ARE is in direct opposition to everything this guy stood for.

http://apublicdefender.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/mlk-1.jpg

gophoenix
June 9th, 2011, 10:53 AM

If the school is paying for you to play, you have a lot of motivation to stay academically eligible. Your scholarship represents money - and you're a semi-pro athlete, who could playing for a shot in the NFL.

Almost all of these kids are not playing in the NFL, or even the CFL or Arena League. Scholarships change - partials go away, financial situations change. They have a whole dimension of retention that isn't even a thought at the FBS level.

So the only true measurement is what? Compare athletics retention and student performance to that of the rest of the campus?

Meaning if the school sees 50% of it's students leave, athletics should be given the same chance.

And sadly, I agree with CitDog. In many countries, you do not get a chance at education if you do things wrong. Maybe these are the types that do not belong in upper education sadly.

WileECoyote06
June 9th, 2011, 11:28 AM
It's been changed:

That was a BIG change. lol.

And unless OSU is a peer institution for Texas Southern, I don't think this is a good comparison, either way.

WileECoyote06
June 9th, 2011, 11:36 AM
perhaps some of these students don't belong in college.

you've got a SERIOUS, OUT OF CONTROL CASE OF......

http://www.africancrisis.co.za/images/Pic_Yep1._here_it_is1._Liberal_White_Guilt_on_full _display_in_America1._LWG-Obama1.jpg

Your whole argument that these institutions need to have the rules changed just for them because of WHO THEY ARE is in direct opposition to everything this guy stood for.

http://apublicdefender.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/mlk-1.jpg

You missed a whole lot of sense in his argument. It isn't just about HBCUs as you're making it out to be. It's about financial resources, which many schools operating at the FCS level don't have.

I'm not opposed to the APR as a rubric to measure effectiveness in an athletic program. But a one-size fits all method for all division I schools may not be the best strategy to ensure that effectiveness.

WestCoastAggie
June 9th, 2011, 11:41 AM

I see what you are saying but Academic eligibility is 50% of it as well. The retention issue comes into play when schools change coaches, when they bring in many JUCO recruits or a combination of both.

I will say that there has been much turnover of coaches at many MEAC/SWAC schools. As we all know, each player receiving athletic aid earns 2 points each semester (1 for eligibility & 1 for retention). So in essence, schools have to keep retain as many players as possible and keep them eligible.

The advantages FBS schools have over FCS schools is that they simply have more players. 4 players ineligible that transfer at UNC isn't as bad as 4 players ineligible transferring from App. State. That's because App State doesn't have nearly as many players on scholarship as UNC could. FCS schools in general have a smaller room for error.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 9th, 2011, 12:47 PM
That was a BIG change. lol.

And unless OSU is a peer institution for Texas Southern, I don't think this is a good comparison, either way.

According to the APR, The Ohio State University is a peer institution for APR purposes.

citdog
June 9th, 2011, 12:51 PM
You missed a whole lot of sense in his argument. It isn't just about HBCUs as you're making it out to be. It's about financial resources, which many schools operating at the FCS level don't have.

I'm not opposed to the APR as a rubric to measure effectiveness in an athletic program. But a one-size fits all method for all division I schools may not be the best strategy to ensure that effectiveness.

If a school can't fully fund the English Dept perhaps they shouldn't be funding athletics at all. Maybe the answer for the HBCU's is to secede from the NCAA and go off on their own.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 9th, 2011, 12:57 PM
I see what you are saying but Academic eligibility is 50% of it as well. The retention issue comes into play when schools change coaches, when they bring in many JUCO recruits or a combination of both.

I will say that there has been much turnover of coaches at many MEAC/SWAC schools. As we all know, each player receiving athletic aid earns 2 points each semester (1 for eligibility & 1 for retention). So in essence, schools have to keep retain as many players as possible and keep them eligible.

The advantages FBS schools have over FCS schools is that they simply have more players. 4 players ineligible that transfer at UNC isn't as bad as 4 players ineligible transferring from App. State. That's because App State doesn't have nearly as many players on scholarship as UNC could. FCS schools in general have a smaller room for error.

Correct. And furthermore, when you're playing on Ohio State you are either a walk-on playing to become a full scholarship player, or already a full scholarship player, whereas in FCS you could be getting a partial scholarship. Therefore at the FCS level there is this financial dimension that does not apply at all to the FBS level. Unfortunately, the only way to fix financial "retention" issues is to have more money available or to get extremely creative.

Look, I'm not saying to scrap the APR and give up on academic standards - I'm saying to reform the existing APR system with a methodology that makes sense. If you're not suffering NCAA violations and your APR is in line with the overall institutional graduation rate... why should a school be punished? Furthermore, this isn't just special treatment for HBCU's. It would apply to everyone in FCS, and make the APR less unfair to FCS schools.

WileECoyote06
June 9th, 2011, 01:04 PM
If a school can't fully fund the English Dept perhaps they shouldn't be funding athletics at all. Maybe the answer for the HBCU's is to secede from the NCAA and go off on their own.

That isn't even close to the argument/suggestion that LFN is making. xreadx

Why is the answer to unfair governance always secession? xlolx

DFW HOYA
June 9th, 2011, 02:11 PM
SWAC AD's voted 8-2 to ban Southern and JSU from the SWAC basketball championship.

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/jsu/2011/06/09/swac-ads-vote-to-ban-jsu-southern-football/

3rd Coast Tiger
June 9th, 2011, 02:48 PM

I must have missed the quote from the SWAC or MEAC Commissioner where they are "begging for them to change the rules to help us fit."

“But what really ought to happen is to seriously restructure the APR system immediately — and even reverse the penalties the NCAA waged against the HBCU population.”

Do I believe Texas Southern or any other HBCU should be "cut some slack" HECK NO!!!!

Take your punishment, address the issues and keep progressing forward!

As a former national alumni association president of my alma mater, if any of my chapters nationwide were NOT working in concert with our Constitution & ByLaws, it was the national alumni association's obligation to fly in to their cities and reach out to those particular chapters and magnify where they are non-compliant and work with them to rectify their shortcomings (just as the NCAA is doing now).

Now if after that year if they are still non-compliant they are decertified. Simple as that.

However, some of you have such an issue with the "HB" in HBCU that you can't see anything besides that.

citdog
June 9th, 2011, 03:05 PM
SWAC AD's voted 8-2 to ban Southern and JSU from the SWAC basketball championship.

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/jsu/2011/06/09/swac-ads-vote-to-ban-jsu-southern-football/

Is that a postseason event?

GOD! I SLAY ME!

WestCoastAggie
June 9th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Is that a postseason event?

GOD! I SLAY ME!

Not according to the NCAA. To make it such would piss off the BCS schools.

But the SWAC Presidents voted to ban them anyways.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?84547-Mockery-of-the-NCAA-Awaiting-SWAC-Decision&p=1631483#post1631483

Redhawk2010
June 9th, 2011, 06:22 PM

But a Division One school is a Division One school.. with the exception of football..

Panther88
June 10th, 2011, 02:59 PM
But a Division One school is a Division One school.. with the exception of football..

True. There should be zero slack metted to any if all are included. xreadx

rbostic278
June 10th, 2011, 03:18 PM
However, some of you have such an issue with the "HB" in HBCU that you can't see anything besides that.[/QUOTE]

Sad but true....I hate when people assume everyone thinks the same way they do.

blaw0203
June 10th, 2011, 05:36 PM
True. There should be zero slack metted to any if all are included. xreadx

VERY TRUE! I disagree with the article in mapping this out as an HBCU issue. MOST HBCUs on the D-I level met and exceeded the APR requirements.

Its difficult for some to admit, but D-I FCS is not for everyone just as FBS isnt. It takes money that some schools just dont have, but their pride, or desire to keep up with another school blinds their ability to recognize this fact. The APR system is COMPLETELY fair because it deals with percentages instead of raw numbers.

If this problem was widespread amongst all FCS programs, then I would see a need to change the APR, but as for now, it is an isolated issue that affects some HBCUs that have a history of not encouraging academic success amongst its athletic departments.

Accountablity brings out the BEST in us ALL!

citdog
June 10th, 2011, 05:45 PM
VERY TRUE! I disagree with the article in mapping this out as an HBCU issue. MOST HBCUs on the D-I level met and exceeded the APR requirements.

Its difficult for some to admit, but D-I FCS is not for everyone just as FBS isnt. It takes money that some schools just dont have, but their pride, or desire to keep up with another school blinds their ability to recognize this fact. The APR system is COMPLETELY fair because it deals with percentages instead of raw numbers.

If this problem was widespread amongst all FCS programs, then I would see a need to change the APR, but as for now, it is an isolated issue that affects some HBCUs that have a history of not encouraging academic success amongst its athletic departments.

Accountablity brings out the BEST in us ALL!

well said

http://fashaddix.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/vida-guerra-article.jpg

reppies