PDA

View Full Version : The Sporting News Names 2011 Preseason FCS Team

Humble Steward
June 3rd, 2011, 02:28 PM
The Sporting News Names 2011 Preseason FCS Team and Rank
Sporting News (previously The Sporting News, and known colloquially as TSN) is an American-based sports magazine. It was established in 1886.

Sporting News Top 25

1. Eastern Washington
2. William & Mary
3. Appalachian State
4. Northern Iowa
5. Montana State
6. Georgia Southern
7. Delaware
8. Montana
9. Central Arkansas
10. Wofford
11. New Hampshire
12. Southern Illinois
13. McNeese State
14. Murray State
15. Western Illinois
16. Southern Utah
17. Richmond
18. Stephen F. Austin
19. Jacksonville State
20. Liberty
21. Chattanooga
22. Lehigh
23. Bethune-Cookman
24. Penn
25. UC Davis

FCS All-American Team

Top Awards
OFF: DeAndre Presley, QB, Appalachian State
DEF: Ameet Pall, DE, Wofford
Newcomer: Jewel Hampton, RB, Southern Illinois

OFFENSE
QB DeAndre Presley, Sr., Appalachian State
RB Eric Bretitenstein, Jr., Wofford
RB Nate Eachus, Sr., Colgate
OL D.J. Hall, Sr., Texas State
OL David Pickard, Sr., Southern Illinois
OL Brett Moore, Sr., Georgia Southern
OL J.C. Oram, Sr., Weber State
OL Juavahr Nathan, Sr., South Carolina State
TE Shadrae King, Sr., Robert Morris
WR Chris Summers, Sr., Liberty
WR Aaron Mellette, Jr., Elon
K Jason Cunningham, Sr., Montana State
RS Gralyn Crawford, Jr., Stephen F. Austin

DEFENSE
DL Brent Russell, Jr., Georgia Southern
DL Ameet Pall, Sr., Wofford
DL Mario Kurn, Sr., San Diego
DL Zack Nash, Sr., Sacramento State
LB Tyler Holmes, Sr., Massachusetts
LB Kadarron Anderson, Sr., Furman
LB Matt Evans, Jr., New Hampshire
DB Trumaine Johnson, Sr., Montana
DB Charles James, Jr., Charleston Southern
DB Moses Ellis, Sr., Prairie View A&M
DB Laron Scott, Sr., Georgia Southern
P David Harrington, Sr., Idaho State

Following 122 years of existence as a weekly publication, the magazine switched to a bi-weekly publishing schedule in 2008. Earlier that year, it launched a daily online newspaper, Sporting News Today.

By Sporting News
http://aol.sportingnews.com/
This entry was posted on June 1st, 2011 and is filed under FCS News Articles.

Read more: http://meacfanszone.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sz&action=display&thread=9109#ixzz1OF7cZEwd

GoAgs72
June 3rd, 2011, 02:56 PM
Nice to see Southern Utah and UC Davis recognized. Sac State and Cal Poly could have substituted for some in the last five but I guess that would be my West Coast bias.

ncbears
June 4th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Awesome to see so many Big Sky players on the list!

Grizzaholic
June 4th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Still don't know what some of these poll folk see in ranking Montana so high.

The Eagle's Cliff
June 4th, 2011, 01:06 PM
As far as Pre-Season Polls go, this one's as good as the next.

Grizzaholic
June 4th, 2011, 01:09 PM
As far as Pre-Season Polls go, this one's as good as the next.

Yes. Preseason polls are complete BS. Polls shouldn't come out until, at the very least, the 3rd week of the season....preferrably the 4th.

soccerguy315
June 4th, 2011, 01:11 PM
doubtful that there are 2 RBs better than Grimes (W&M)

but, it's preseason, so who cares.

ngineer
June 4th, 2011, 01:17 PM
How does UNI get ranked so high versus Lehigh at #22? If both teams have significant number of returnees, seems they should be closer, i.e. I see UNI in the 8-15 range and Lehigh in the 12-17 range.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 4th, 2011, 02:19 PM
WR Brandon Kaufman not being listed is a sham.

Wow. xnottalkingx

Milktruck74
June 4th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Please don't take this as a knock on DeAndre Presley (more of a testement to the strength of the Offensive players in the SoCon).....but he might not make first team SoCon.....Shoot, Eric Bretitenstein and Aaron Mellette too. This year the SoCon is stacked on the Offensive side.

Also, the homer in me is going to come out. What about Joel Bradford? he led the nation in receiving yards and YPG....yet he didn't make their first team list...OK

hapapp
June 4th, 2011, 02:43 PM
In addition to being married, could your parents spell?

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 4th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Why are App. State and UNI higher than GSU? xchinscratchx

Horseshoe App
June 4th, 2011, 05:30 PM

I guess you should ask that about W&M as well. Didn't you guys beat them in playoffs? Again, as most people say, preseason polls at our level are pretty worthless. Going on recent history(last 5 years) would be the main reason I see some people picking App higher than GSU. Anyway, I think it is going to be fun seeing you guys in Boone this year. Hopefully, we get a little revenge:)

Gil Dobie
June 4th, 2011, 05:32 PM

Probably the same reason Montana St is higher than NDSU, their voters gave them more votes. ;)

The Eagle's Cliff
June 4th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Please don't take this as a knock on DeAndre Presley (more of a testement to the strength of the Offensive players in the SoCon).....but he might not make first team SoCon.....Shoot, Eric Bretitenstein and Aaron Mellette too. This year the SoCon is stacked on the Offensive side.

Also, the homer in me is going to come out. What about Joel Bradford? he led the nation in receiving yards and YPG....yet he didn't make their first team list...OK

Same answer to both questions: Everything in Pre-Season Speculation is based on recent trends. App St and its players will be on top until someone knocks them off in the SoCon. GSU is already receiving a lot of attention based on a good 6-game run, but recent history should favor App, Delaware, EWU, UNI, Montana, UNH, Villanova, Jax St., W&M, Wofford, etc.

Every team in FCS (except SWAC's and Ivy's) has a chance to win the 2012 National Championship without worrying about where they start in the polls.

TheBisonator
June 4th, 2011, 06:31 PM
An absolute spit in the face to NDSU, but like I said in another thread, this "poll" is not well done anyway, and NDSU was most likely an oversight.

ncbears
June 4th, 2011, 06:35 PM

Wow. xnottalkingx

I hate him.

Grizzaholic
June 4th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I hate him.

And I love drunk folk....

Milktruck74
June 4th, 2011, 09:35 PM
In addition to being married, could your parents spell?

Parents couldn't spell either, but it didn't hold them back in life. They actually live right up above Boone on the knob and look down on you fine spelling folks in the valley.

A man who can only think of one way to spell a word, must have a simple mind.

Milktruck74
June 4th, 2011, 09:36 PM
And I love drunk folk....

I like being one.

Saint3333
June 4th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Paging Brian Quick, put this list up in your locker.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 5th, 2011, 02:34 AM
I hate him.

Sham Wow guy, or B-Kauf? xlolx

Eagle envy noted. :D

ncbears
June 5th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Sham Wow guy, or B-Kauf? xlolx

Eagle envy noted. :D

I don't really hate him, but our old coaching staff only offered him a partial scholarship. Other wise he probably would have stayed in state and he would be wearing blue and gold. Last year Kauffman said he will always remember that and play extra hard against UNC.

Grizzaholic
June 5th, 2011, 10:34 AM
I don't really hate him, but our old coaching staff only offered him a partial scholarship. Other wise he probably would have stayed in state and he would be wearing blue and gold. Last year Kauffman said he will always remember that and play extra hard against UNC.

Shouldn't you be mad at your coaching staff and not this kid? Your priorities are really out of wack.

jdeal
June 5th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Not knocking the Pall kid cause I just dont know him but he must be a BEAST to beat out Russell for the award.

TwoFeathers
June 5th, 2011, 02:12 PM
doubtful that there are 2 RBs better than Grimes (W&M)

but, it's preseason, so who cares.

That dude from Wofford is damn good, but he's a fullback, no? I suppose they don't break down the backs by category.

phoenixphanatic21
June 5th, 2011, 04:09 PM
That dude from Wofford is damn good, but he's a fullback, no? I suppose they don't break down the backs by category.

In the triple option, the fullback is pretty much another running back.

HighCountry
June 5th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Paging Brian Quick, put this list up in your locker.

Agreed, can't believe an Elon receiver made the team before him. Glad to see Presley as the QB.

NDSUFREAK
June 5th, 2011, 09:33 PM
I think they just picked names out of a hat. The fact that NDSU isn't even in the Top 25 is freaking ridiculous...this is the definition why pre season polls are worthless.

achrist70
June 5th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I think they just picked names out of a hat. The fact that NDSU isn't even in the Top 25 is freaking ridiculous...this is the definition why pre season polls are worthless.

A top 25 poll without NDSU is rather funny I agree.

Jacked_Rabbit
June 5th, 2011, 11:26 PM
A top 25 poll without NDSU is rather funny I agree.

This is, at least, the second time NDSU hasn't been included in a Top 25... I'm definitely not a Bison fan, but I agree with achrist. They have a lot of important pieces coming back from last year's team.

TheBisonator
June 5th, 2011, 11:53 PM
This is, at least, the second time NDSU hasn't been included in a Top 25... I'm definitely not a Bison fan, but I agree with achrist. They have a lot of important pieces coming back from last year's team.

This is the same poll we discussed in another thread.

This is the only poll that doesn't include NDSU.

SpiritCymbal
June 6th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Not knocking the Pall kid cause I just dont know him but he must be a BEAST to beat out Russell for the award.

He is. I don't think it's too arrogant to say though that both guys could be 1a and 1b in the SoCon at that position. Baring injuries, both guys are going to be at the top of the DL list this year come the post-season awards as well.

SpiritCymbal
June 6th, 2011, 02:35 PM

I actually think that this is about where GSU should be (if not still a little high). I think between 5-10 would be an accurate place for us to start off next year.

Houndawg
June 6th, 2011, 07:49 PM

They did have four conference losses and some mighty ugly wins, too. That said, I'd have them in the 17-22 range, with SIU, and UNI in the 10-14 range....

Jacked_Rabbit
June 6th, 2011, 08:32 PM
They did have four conference losses and some mighty ugly wins, too. That said, I'd have them in the 17-22 range, with SIU, and UNI in the 10-14 range....

Who didn't have four conference losses last year!?! haha

Gil Dobie
June 6th, 2011, 09:16 PM

SIU in the 10-14 range, you been smokin with JBB. SIU might be in the 20-25 range with NDSU, not in the 10-14 range with UNI.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 7th, 2011, 01:28 AM
He is. I don't think it's too arrogant to say though that both guys could be 1a and 1b in the SoCon at that position. Baring injuries, both guys are going to be at the top of the DL list this year come the post-season awards as well.

Not if Renard Williams has anything to say about it. xcoffeex

Poly's Brutality
June 7th, 2011, 01:57 AM

Wow. xnottalkingx

Whoa - he's back again!?? Oh man.... 4/5 OL back? QB? RB 1-2??!! Oh man.... Eagles #1 all right