PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh Press Box?

Franks Tanks
June 3rd, 2011, 01:58 PM
I drove by the Goodman complex the other day and noticed that the press box appears to be covered in blue tarps.

Are the hawks freshening the place up a bit?

RichH2
June 3rd, 2011, 02:11 PM
I would love to say that LU putting in a row of luxury sky boxes but I doubt that is the case. An upgrade to facilities seems more likely.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 3rd, 2011, 02:16 PM
They did a facelift of the press box last year, I thought it was done. Apparently they're doing a bit more work up there. I'll ask around.

LUHawker
June 3rd, 2011, 02:20 PM
I would love to say that LU putting in a row of luxury sky boxes but I doubt that is the case. An upgrade to facilities seems more likely.

Sky boxes?!, you talking about sky boxes? How about lights, maybe a big screen and a paver walkway to the stadium from the parking lot. And while I am in wish list mode, seats on the grassy hill - would expand capacity and "fill-in" the look.

Pard4Life
June 3rd, 2011, 05:54 PM
They need firewood for next winter.

ngineer
June 3rd, 2011, 09:59 PM
Oh, I'm sure the 'pards will provide more than enough 'firewood' to keep the Mountain Hawks nice and warm next winter.xsmiley_wix

ngineer
June 3rd, 2011, 10:05 PM
Nah, I love the grassy hill. Spent many hours down there with my kids rolling around when they were young. Plus, they'll never spend the money needed to do that when you have 8,000 seats on the visitors side, of which at least 5,000 go unused most of the time, except for every other year with the Leotards visit. Likewise, the walkway would interfere too much with the intramural fields and, again, would be spending money on something that is not really necessary. Lights, I'm ambivalent about. Night games are nice in September and early October, but I also still like the afternoon games with the luncheon tailgates. I imagine we'll be seeing a some kind of video screen in the near future as logistics are worked out on its location.

Wildcat80
June 4th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Nice! Getting ready for UNH's visit!!

RichH2
June 4th, 2011, 09:35 AM
From what I hear scoreboard issue is one of location, not money. Like grass hill as is. My kids and I also spent lots of afternoons there. Lights would be nice, altho dont see much use for them from mid october thru season end, unless LU wants to dome the stadium and put in heat.

ngineer
June 4th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Nice! Getting ready for UNH's visit!!

Yes, we're re-wiring the scoreboard so the 'visitors' don't register! Hopefully, we'll have good weather. With it being the home opener, I would hope we'd have a decent crowd of 8-10,000. How well do you guys travel?

ngineer
June 4th, 2011, 01:10 PM
From what I hear scoreboard issue is one of location, not money. Like grass hill as is. My kids and I also spent lots of afternoons there. Lights would be nice, altho dont see much use for them from mid october thru season end, unless LU wants to dome the stadium and put in heat.

Yes, I heard the same thing, too. I suppose placing it on supports on the embankment at the NE corner beyond the endzone would make most sense. Similar location that Lafayette uses so that it faces, primarily, the home stands. Visitors would have to look to their right, but then if someone has to be 'burdened' let it be those in East Grandstand. One problem with that location is it would also be facing the sun most of the time which, as we know from prior scoreboard difficulty, can be an issue. The other option would be the SE corner on the Hill angled toward the homestands, but depending on elevation, you wouldn't want to block the view from the walkway/plaza that goes around the horseshoe.

Ivytalk
June 4th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Indoor plumbing at long last?

ngineer
June 4th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Yeah, they've probably gone to a 'two-seater'....(;-)

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 5th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Yes, we're re-wiring the scoreboard so the 'visitors' don't register! Hopefully, we'll have good weather. With it being the home opener, I would hope we'd have a decent crowd of 8-10,000. How well do you guys travel?

While we don't travel like Delaware, we should have a good contingent there. I just looked at our roster and we have 22 players from PA, 16 from NJ, 8 from NY, 5 from MD and one from OH. Since a game at Lehigh will be a shorter ride than to Durham, I'd expect a pretty good group of families and friends of these players. And with a WR from Bethlehem (Joey Orlando), I'll assume he'll have a couple of folks cheering him on.

With our schedule this year, the first home game is Oct. 1st. The Lehigh game is actually the closest game to UNH during September! Anyone who wants to see their Wildcats I'm guessing will probably travel to PA rather than Toledo or Richmond, but I'm not sure how many will make the 6:38 trek from Durham or the 5:37 trek from Boston (according to Mapquest). And with no game at Villanova or Delaware this year, maybe some of the NYC and Philly alumni will organize for this one.

If the weather forecast is good, I'm hoping we'll have 500-1000 folks there. How many do you usually get from Colgate, Holy Cross and Fordham? I know I plan to be there! :)

DFW HOYA
June 5th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Indoor plumbing at long last?

Some PL facilities are better than others, you know. Speaking of which, a Villanova lacrosse fan recounted his first visit to the Jarry Park of college football, Multi-Sport Field. Plumbing remains, um, a problem.

http://network.laxpower.com/laxforum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41083&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=420#p863007

carney2
June 5th, 2011, 01:59 PM
From what I hear scoreboard issue is one of location, not money.

What's wrong with the current location on top of the field house? Structural support might be something of an issue so it could not simply rest on the roof. It would be visible from both stands and would be raised. There is no better location in my opinion.

ngineer
June 5th, 2011, 09:34 PM
What's wrong with the current location on top of the field house? Structural support might be something of an issue so it could not simply rest on the roof. It would be visible from both stands and would be raised. There is no better location in my opinion.

Yes, the structural issue in combination with its height could be an issue. Really don't know the answer, other than they are considering various locations. Since they just upgraded the scoreboard, itself, in replacing all the digital areas, I don't see them actually replacing that stucture. Question would be whether it is amenable to modification.

jimbo65
June 6th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Sounds like an odd location for a men's room, but then again I've never been to Lehigh.