PDA

View Full Version : App State 31-peats

Apphole
June 2nd, 2011, 12:50 PM
http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205156547&DB_OEM_ID=4000

ASU once again claims the Commisioner's and Germann cups.

asucrutch23
June 2nd, 2011, 12:56 PM
Wow, check out the women's standings! 5 teams within 1.5 points. Way to go ASU!

GaSouthern
June 2nd, 2011, 12:57 PM
GSU will never compete for this cup until we have the same amount of teams playing for it :( the odds are stacked against us.

Apphole
June 2nd, 2011, 01:00 PM
The closest school to beating us was UNCG who we beat by 13 points. If you take away our football championship (which I where the highest % if funding goes) we still win. Germann cup was another story. What a photo finish.

citdog
June 2nd, 2011, 01:12 PM
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/2268/liberalracegifig2.gif

Apphole
June 2nd, 2011, 01:33 PM
I would yawn too if my school came in dead last.

AppAlum2003
June 2nd, 2011, 01:47 PM
You OK citdog? You look tired. You should rest more.

SideLine Shooter
June 2nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
Hey Dog, you look like you could use a drink.

citdog
June 2nd, 2011, 02:35 PM
the german cup?

http://imagemacros.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/grammar_nazi.jpg

Apphole
June 2nd, 2011, 03:54 PM
D

Milktruck74
June 3rd, 2011, 06:03 AM
Impressive, but whats more impressive is when Schools like Chattanooga or Furman which only participate in 8 of the 10 sports (already in the hole 24 points) come out on top. ASU has owned the Commissioners Cup, but they are also the only team in the conference that participates in all 10 sports.

bjtheflamesfan
June 3rd, 2011, 06:25 AM
To be fair...the thread title is slightly inaccurate. for it to be a "31-peat", you would have had to win for the 31st consecutive year...according to the article its the 18th of 19 years where theyve won the commissioner's cup...still impressive though

WUTNDITWAA
June 3rd, 2011, 07:01 AM
Impressive, but whats more impressive is when Schools like Chattanooga or Furman which only participate in 8 of the 10 sports (already in the hole 24 points) come out on top. ASU has owned the Commissioners Cup, but they are also the only team in the conference that participates in all 10 sports.

True, but the resourses allocated to the other two, means things have to be spread a little thinner, and that can cost us a couple spots across the board. A spot here and another there negates some of the advantage we may have.

ElonPride
June 3rd, 2011, 07:25 AM

Elon also doesn't sponsor 3 men's sports that count toward the cup.

Saint3333
June 3rd, 2011, 07:48 AM

True but unless ASU finishes dead last in those two sports and UTC wins the championship the 24 point argument doesn't hold up. ASU beat both UTC and Furman by 21 points or more. How about you guys step up to the plate and sponsor all sports (I mean one of the sports is baseball) and stop making excuses. Every year we go through this.

Apphole
June 3rd, 2011, 07:51 AM

I already clarified that we would have won even if we dropped the football points. Having all the sports gives us an advantage (more of an advantage than we need to win), but not as much as winning football, indoor/ outdoor T&F and finishing in the top half of every sport sans golf and tennis every year.

Apphole
June 3rd, 2011, 07:57 AM
To be fair...the thread title is slightly inaccurate. for it to me a "31-peat", you would have had to win for the 31st consecutive year...according to the article its the 18th of 19 years where theyve won the commissioner's cup...still impressive though

I'm gonna nitpick your nitpicking. There's nothing about the word 'repeat' that implies it has to be in a row. It just means to do again. We have repeated the act of winning this award 31 times.

bjtheflamesfan
June 3rd, 2011, 08:59 AM
To use that line of logic, the Chicago Bulls "six-peated" as NBA champions even though they did not win in 1994 and 1995. Based on the term "three-peat" (which I believe was trademarked by Phil Jackson...have to go back and check to be sure) to "-peat" anything beyond three should imply that you did so consecutively.

StorminASU
June 3rd, 2011, 09:06 AM
You ever notice how everyone (talking mostly to you, Elon fans) talks about how much better their (insert team here) program is, blah blah blah, but then when ASU wins the Commish cup, they throw up a dozen reasons why ASU has to win it and it's not fair. The Commish cup means that our program is better. If you have a problem with it, start participating in more of the sports and change it.

ElonPride
June 3rd, 2011, 09:48 AM
Wow, App edged Elon out in the Germann Cup by a whopping 1 point! Considering how long you've been DI, in the SoCon and the way you tout the strength of all things crApp, you would think this margin would be a landslide! If winning the German Cup over lil ole Elon by a single point makes half of your athletics programs CUSA material, dang, maybe Elon, Sammy, UNCG & CoC will move in associate member capacities to CUSA as a package deal.....xlolx

Milktruck74
June 3rd, 2011, 02:03 PM
True but unless ASU finishes dead last in those two sports and UTC wins the championship the 24 point argument doesn't hold up. ASU beat both UTC and Furman by 21 points or more. How about you guys step up to the plate and sponsor all sports (I mean one of the sports is baseball) and stop making excuses. Every year we go through this.

1. What you said, but exactly the inverse....we are only in the hole 24 if you finish #1 in both Baseball and Soccer.
2. I would love to see Chattanooga field a baseball and Men's Soccer team, and if we could figure out a way to get more women's sports going we will (Baseball is in Rick's sights)
3. Chattanooga took 73.5% of their available points...That's a pretty strong showing...
4. We won it with out Baseball and Soccer a few years back, Do you really want us to start picking up points in those two sports?????
5. Chattanooga Has THE MOST SoCon Championships Ever.

Anyway, it is still a great feat. Congrats on CONSISTENTLY be one of the top programs in the league.

PaladinFan
June 3rd, 2011, 02:12 PM
Impressive showing by Furman.

Even several of the sports Furman does field are not fully funded.

Saint3333
June 3rd, 2011, 02:43 PM
4. We won it with out Baseball and Soccer a few years back, Do you really want us to start picking up points in those two sports?????
5. Chattanooga Has THE MOST SoCon Championships Ever.

Anyway, it is still a great feat. Congrats on CONSISTENTLY be one of the top programs in the league.

Sure that way you can't concentrate $$$ on fewer sports. Do you have a listing of SoCon championships by program?

Milktruck74
June 3rd, 2011, 04:43 PM
Sure that way you can't concentrate $$$ on fewer sports. Do you have a listing of SoCon championships by program?

As you know $$$ wins championships. Now that Chattanooga Football is starting to see some success and we have one of the best ADs in the country (unfortunately he will probably go on to a Much larger program in a few years), the money is starting to roll in. We are seeing Alumni (who wouldn't support the 3-8 teams in the past) start to write high 6 and even a 7 figure check to the athletic dept. Add to that, Chattanooga has been a baseball town for 125 years. Financial support would be there for Chattanooga Baseball, the Lookouts average about 4k per game (with 70 home games) and sometimes see crowds in excess of 8,000. Look at the financial and fan support for Softball, a 2.5 Million dollar stadium from private donations, and it isn't uncommon to see 800-1000 people out for a home game. Also, the college purchased Historic Engle Stadium right after Rick Hart showed up.....Coincidence???

Milktruck74
June 3rd, 2011, 04:52 PM
and as far as SoCon Championships, I don't have a list for everybody, but I'm sure it can be pulled from soconsports.com
MOCS
4 Football
24 MBB (D2 NC)
24 WBB
22 Wrestling
11 XCC/Track
17 Softball
2 Mens Golf
19 Tennis
6 Volleyball

chattanoogamocs
June 3rd, 2011, 10:10 PM
About 5 years ago, I did a listing of all the championships each school had won in the SoCon.

ASU and UTC were neck and neck*...but they were actually 2nd place to.......

Furman

(of course, Furman has had a much longer time to rack up titles)

*wrestling is a bit murky...they now recognize a regular season and tournament champ...but they haven't always (and I never could get an answer on when, technically, they start giving out regular season trophies). If Chattanooga got credit for all their regular season wrestling titles, they were ahead of ASU. If you only count the last decade, they were basically a dead heat. But they were both about 20 titles behind Furman.

Of course, this was 5 years ago...and when I never could get a definitive word on regular season wrestling, I kind of dropped the project.

One thing is for sure...for the last 20 to 25 years, ASU and UTC have won the most SoCon titles and I would argue, have the best overall programs.

(not trying to make excuses)
UTC doesn't have baseball, in part, because in Tennessee, we have always had to pay out-of-state tuition for out-of-state students...something North Carolina schools are just starting to experience. This has been particularly tough for UTC because a player can live (literally) 10 minutes from campus in Georgia and UTC still has to pay for a full, out-of-state, ride.

As I do every year, I applaud ASU for the commitment to fielding all SoCon sponsored sports, the only school to do so.

I also applaud them for fielding a full track and field program (which is what wins them so many all-sports trophies...and keeps them near the top of the SoCon for most titles won)

Saint3333
June 3rd, 2011, 10:25 PM
ASU SoCon championships:
12 M Soccer
2 MBB
7 WBB
17 M Outdoor track
17 W Outdoor track
17 M Indoor track
15 W Indoor track
8 Volleyball
13 Men's CC
11 Football
9 W CC
6 Wrestling
2 M Tennis
2 M Golf

I couldn't find a complete history of baseball championships but I know ASU won a couple in the 80's. Without baseball that's 138 for ASU 129 for UTC.

Skjellyfetti
June 4th, 2011, 12:58 AM
If winning the German Cup over lil ole Elon by a single point makes half of your athletics programs CUSA material, dang, maybe Elon, Sammy, UNCG & CoC will move in associate member capacities to CUSA as a package deal.....xlolx

Breaking News: Women's sports don't determine conference affiliation.

Men's sports do. And we won the Commissioner's cup... again... with plenty of breathing room.

1977-78 Appalachian State
1978-79 Appalachian State
1979-80 Appalachian State
1980-81 Appalachian State
1981-82 Appalachian State
1982-83 East Tennessee State
1983-84 Appalachian State
1984-85 Appalachian State
1985-86 Appalachian State
1986-87 Appalachian State
1987-88 Appalachian State
1988-89 Appalachian State
1989-90 Appalachian State
1990-91 Furman
1991-92 Appalachian State
1992-93 Appalachian State
1993-94 Appalachian State
1994-95 Appalachian State
1995-96 Appalachian State
1996-97 Appalachian State
1997-98 Appalachian State
1998-99 Appalachian State
1999-00 Appalachian State
2000-01 Appalachian State
2001-02 Appalachian State
2002-03 Appalachian State
2003-04 Appalachian State
2004-05 Chattanooga
2005-06 Appalachian State
2006-07 Appalachian State
2007-08 Appalachian State
2008-09 Appalachian State
2009-10 Appalachian State
2010-11 Appalachian State
xazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxazzx xazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxazzx xazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxazzx xazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxazzx xazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxazzx

GSU EAGLES
June 4th, 2011, 06:04 AM
I'll take our year over that.

semi-final football finish
baseball Socon Championship
Golf Socon Championship

I honestly have never watched or cared about lacrosse, soccer, volleyball, swimming etc.

Reign of Terrier
June 4th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Wofford has 9 mens sports, but most of them are probably underfunded

Reign of Terrier
June 4th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Does rifling count as a sport for conference competition? in which case Wofford would only have 8 teams competing

ElonPride
June 4th, 2011, 09:55 AM

Men's sports do.

Wow.

SoCon48
June 4th, 2011, 12:00 PM

Why?

SoCon48
June 4th, 2011, 12:04 PM
About 5 years ago, I did a listing of all the championships each school had won in the SoCon.

ASU and UTC were neck and neck*...but they were actually 2nd place to.......

Furman

(of course, Furman has had a much longer time to rack up titles)

*wrestling is a bit murky...they now recognize a regular season and tournament champ...but they haven't always (and I never could get an answer on when, technically, they start giving out regular season trophies). If Chattanooga got credit for all their regular season wrestling titles, they were ahead of ASU. If you only count the last decade, they were basically a dead heat. But they were both about 20 titles behind Furman.

Of course, this was 5 years ago...and when I never could get a definitive word on regular season wrestling, I kind of dropped the project.

One thing is for sure...for the last 20 to 25 years, ASU and UTC have won the most SoCon titles and I would argue, have the best overall programs.

(not trying to make excuses)
UTC doesn't have baseball, in part, because in Tennessee, we have always had to pay out-of-state tuition for out-of-state students...something North Carolina schools are just starting to experience. This has been particularly tough for UTC because a player can live (literally) 10 minutes from campus in Georgia and UTC still has to pay for a full, out-of-state, ride.

As I do every year, I applaud ASU for the commitment to fielding all SoCon sponsored sports, the only school to do so.

I also applaud them for fielding a full track and field program (which is what wins them so many all-sports trophies...and keeps them near the top of the SoCon for most titles won)

UTC doesn't have baseball, in part, because in Tennessee, we have always had to pay out-of-state tuition for out-of-state students...something North Carolina schools are just starting to experience
No, UNC system schools only waived out of state tuition for a very few years.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 4th, 2011, 03:29 PM

Men's sports do. And we won the Commissioner's cup... again... with plenty of breathing room.
xxazzx

Funny you should mention that, jelly. You could take it a step farther and say it's really football, basketball, and baseball that really matters. GSU has a winning record over App. in basketball, baseball, and football since joining the SoCon. We also have more SoCon titles in Football and baseball (not sure about basketball) since we have joined the SoCon in 1992. Yet we don't win the commish cup because we don't have mens indoor track, mens outdoor track (redundant to give credit to schools for winning both of these, since it's usually the same group of athletes who compete in them), mens cross-country, and mens-wrestling.

The commish-cup is a joke.

Apphole
June 4th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Funny you should mention that, jelly. You could take it a step farther and say it's really football, basketball, and baseball that really matters. GSU has a winning record over App. in basketball, baseball, and football since joining the SoCon. We also have more SoCon titles in Football and baseball (not sure about basketball) since we have joined the SoCon in 1992. Yet we don't win the commish cup because we don't have mens indoor track, mens outdoor track (redundant to give credit to schools for winning both of these, since it's usually the same group of athletes who compete in them), mens cross-country, and mens-wrestling.

The commish-cup is a joke.

"Andy Bernard does not lose contests. He either wins or quits them because they're unfair" -Andy Bernard

chattanoogamocs
June 5th, 2011, 11:20 PM
ASU SoCon championships:
12 M Soccer
2 MBB
7 WBB
17 M Outdoor track
17 W Outdoor track
17 M Indoor track
15 W Indoor track
8 Volleyball
13 Men's CC
11 Football
9 W CC
6 Wrestling
2 M Tennis
2 M Golf

I couldn't find a complete history of baseball championships but I know ASU won a couple in the 80's. Without baseball that's 138 for ASU 129 for UTC.

That quote of 129 titles for Chattanooga that Milltruck is referencing is 4 years old.

cmaxwellgsu
June 6th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Wow.

He's right. It's all about asses in seats.

Skjellyfetti
June 6th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Funny you should mention that, jelly. You could take it a step farther and say it's really football, basketball, and baseball that really matters.

Eh, not really.

I don't think any major conference realignments have been from basketball or baseball.

Even a somewhat basketball-centered conference like the ACC's recent additions have been more traditional football programs like Virginia Tech, Florida State, Boston College, Miami, etc. The Pac-10 and Big 10's recent realignments were to add enough games to have a football championship game.

Can you give an example of a major conference expanding to pick up a quality baseball program? (TCU doesn't count as that was primarily motivated by FOOTBALL and holding onto their BCS auto-bid as a conference).

I don't see baseball or basketball as prime movers in major conference realignment. At all. Football is.

We also have more SoCon titles in Football and baseball (not sure about basketball) since we have joined the SoCon in 1992.

No, you don't.

We both have 8 SoCon football titles since 1992.

We've won a basketball tourney championship since 1992. Y'all haven't.

Y'all for sure have a better baseball program... but, that's small potatoes, imo.

Milktruck74
June 6th, 2011, 10:31 PM
That quote of 129 titles for Chattanooga that Milltruck is referencing is 4 years old.

I've always been a little behind the times.... I guess between Softball, Tennis, Golf, basketball (M and W) and wrestling, we should be able to find a few more to surpass our friends in the shadow of Howard's Knob.

Saint3333
June 7th, 2011, 07:02 PM

Ok could you provide an updated number?

chattanoogamocs
June 7th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Ok could you provide an updated number?

Give me through the weekend and I will do the whole conference.

chattanoogamocs
June 15th, 2011, 05:45 AM
I will upload a full breakdown (sport by sport) later on, but here are the totals...

Furman 177 (111 of their titles came in M/W Golf, M/W Tennis and Men's Soccer...Furman also, obviously has longevity in the SoCon)
ASU 171 (92 of their titles came from their running programs, M/W XC, M/W Ind T&F, M/W Out T&F)
Chattanooga 165 (94 of their titles came from M/W Basketball and Wrestling)
Davidson 69 (30 of their titles came from the Men's Basketball team)
WCU 59 (40 of their titles came from Baseball and their Track & Field program)
GSU 45 (18 of their titles came from Baseball and Football)
CofC 44 (15 of their titles came from Volleyball)
UNCG 37 (27 of their titles came from M/W Soccer)
The Citadel 33 (21 of their titles are in Baseball)
Elon 14 (5 of their titles came from Baseball)
Wofford 10 (3 of their titles came from Football)
Samford 5 (All 5 of their titles came from women's sports)

Of course, longevity has something to do with totals...some teams have been here since the Depression, while other have been here for a decade or less.

Furman, ASU and Chattanooga are obviously the cream of the crop when it comes to balanced programs. Furman has at least one title in every sport they participate (there are 29 categories to win a championship, including regular season and tournament titles). ASU has at least one in title in 21 of the 29 (ASU is the only one to participate in all 29) and Chattanooga 19 of 25. Furman has been in the league almost twice as long as ASU and Chattanooga, which makes their title totals even more impressive.

So, the next question some will ask is, what about the big 3? (with it being generally accepted that "big 3" means baseball, football and basketball)

Chattanooga 32 (more impressive considering UTC is the only football school without baseball)
ASU 29
Furman 29
WCU 24
The Citadel 23
GSU 21
Wofford 8
Elon 6
Samford 0

If anyone would like to check my work (or if they see any obvious errors), please let me know. There were 829 total titles, so there could obviously be a mistake(s). You start looking at the same 12 names over and over again, you start to get cross eyed.

Saint3333
June 15th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Great work Mocs!

Is the "big three sports" just men's?

Also do you have the "recent data", just counting championships since 2000?

Thanks again for putting this together.

gophoenix
June 15th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I will upload a full breakdown (sport by sport) later on, but here are the totals...

Furman 177 (111 of their titles came in M/W Golf, M/W Tennis and Men's Soccer...Furman also, obviously has longevity in the SoCon)
ASU 171 (92 of their titles came from their running programs, M/W XC, M/W Ind T&F, M/W Out T&F)
Chattanooga 165 (94 of their titles came from M/W Basketball and Wrestling)
Davidson 69 (30 of their titles came from the Men's Basketball team)
WCU 59 (40 of their titles came from Baseball and their Track & Field program)
GSU 45 (18 of their titles came from Baseball and Football)
CofC 44 (15 of their titles came from Volleyball)
UNCG 37 (27 of their titles came from M/W Soccer)
The Citadel 33 (21 of their titles are in Baseball)
Elon 14 (5 of their titles came from Baseball)
Wofford 10 (3 of their titles came from Football)
Samford 5 (All 5 of their titles came from women's sports)

Of course, longevity has something to do with totals...some teams have been here since the Depression, while other have been here for a decade or less.

Furman, ASU and Chattanooga are obviously the cream of the crop when it comes to balanced programs. Furman has at least one title in every sport they participate (there are 29 categories to win a championship, including regular season and tournament titles). ASU has at least one in title in 21 of the 29 (ASU is the only one to participate in all 29) and Chattanooga 19 of 25. Furman has been in the league almost twice as long as ASU and Chattanooga, which makes their title totals even more impressive.

So, the next question some will ask is, what about the big 3? (with it being generally accepted that "big 3" means baseball, football and basketball)

Chattanooga 32 (more impressive considering UTC is the only football school without baseball)
ASU 29
Furman 29
WCU 24
The Citadel 23
GSU 21
Wofford 8
Elon 6
Samford 0

If anyone would like to check my work (or if they see any obvious errors), please let me know. There were 829 total titles, so there could obviously be a mistake(s). You start looking at the same 12 names over and over again, you start to get cross eyed.

Great data, does the Big 3 include women's basketball too? Or just men's?

gophoenix
June 15th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Another angle....

App 4.28 per year
Chattanooga 4.28 per year
CofC 3.38 per year
UNCG 2.64 per year
Furman 2.36 per year
GSU 2.25 per year
Elon 1.75 per year
WCU 1.69 per year
Samford 1.67 per year
Davidson .96 per year
Wofford .71 per year
The Citadel .44 per year

If I calculated the years right....

chattanoogamocs
June 15th, 2011, 11:52 AM
"Big 3" is just men's basketball, football and baseball. Did not include women's basketball.

(it would be a Chattanooga blowout...UTC has 29 WBB titles, next closest school is ASU with 11 and Furman with 6)

I went ahead and put this all in a spread sheet...I have the totals for each individual sport AND each title year for each school in each sport (that is what took so long).

I need to clean it up a little bit more (and I am going to go thru and double check my work for each sport) and get it uploaded to one of my websites...then people can have all the info to access and use for arguments :)

And now that it's done, I will make sure to update it each year.

PaladinFan
June 15th, 2011, 01:31 PM
"Big 3" is just men's basketball, football and baseball. Did not include women's basketball.

(it would be a Chattanooga blowout...UTC has 29 WBB titles, next closest school is ASU with 11 and Furman with 6)

I went ahead and put this all in a spread sheet...I have the totals for each individual sport AND each title year for each school in each sport (that is what took so long).

I need to clean it up a little bit more (and I am going to go thru and double check my work for each sport) and get it uploaded to one of my websites...then people can have all the info to access and use for arguments :)

And now that it's done, I will make sure to update it each year.

Appreciate the work.

I was frankly suprised at just how impressive Furman has been.

SpeedkingATL
June 15th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the research Chattanoggamocs! Pretty interesting data.

chattanoogamocs
June 15th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Going through all the record books made me realize how much ETSU is missed....they were a 4th member of the "100 title" club.

I think what amazed me the most was the nearly 100 title drop off after the top 3. Of course, half the schools in the conference have only been members for 20 years or less, so it makes sense that the top 3 are all older. I consider the split between old school and new schools as: FU, CIT, DC, ASU, UTC, WCU are old school, GSU, UNCG, CofC, WOF, Elon, SU are new school.

Furman's list is impressive. They have won at least 2 titles in everything but M/W Indoor Track and Wrestling (which they don't sponsor).