PDA

View Full Version : What are your teams questions marks leading into this season?

THE DANIMAL
June 2nd, 2011, 11:07 AM
I just started this thread to get an honest opionion by fans what they think there glaring weaknesses are or will be? Just something to help the offseason pass by.

As for the Griz I think we have a lot of question marks about our offensive line. That definitely is a scary thought since we are going to be starting a new QB with basically no starting experience and a backfield that has had limited or no playing time thus far in there careers. I honestly believe we have the potential to be either 6-5 or 10-1. I really have no worries defensively. We have a few question marks but think this defense has the potential to be the best the griz have ever had that will keep us in every game. xchinscratchx

JmuSkinsfan
June 2nd, 2011, 11:13 AM
JMU: Offensive line. It'll be interesting to see how the young guys who played last year do with more experience under their belt. Lack of blocking ability last year definitely impacted our ability to run our spread offense which relies so much on up-front blocking.

I'd say quarterback, but I think most JMU fans are confident that Justin Thorpe will be very good, and if he gets beat out by Billy Cosh, then that means Cosh is just as good as the hype!

phoenixphanatic21
June 2nd, 2011, 11:20 AM
It's most likely how well Coach Swepson will do with his first gig as a head coach. Actually, it's definitely that, with our defense being the second question mark.

Wildcat80
June 2nd, 2011, 11:58 AM
Will UNH win more than ONE playoff game????

TTUEagles
June 2nd, 2011, 12:15 PM
TTU: Finding an 11th game, getting some interior D-Line help (replacing 2 starters), avoiding injuries

SideLine Shooter
June 2nd, 2011, 12:17 PM
Offense and Defense. That about covers it.

THE DANIMAL
June 2nd, 2011, 12:39 PM
As a Griz fan I am always on egriz reading everyones opinions about the state of our football program. I don't post much but read everything. I'm not much to get in a pissing match about how someone perceives someones statement like many of the posters there are. But it seems like 50% of Griz fans are acting as if our football team is in a down state right now or our glory years have come to an end. Obviously the ball didn't bounce our way last year and we were learning a complete new offensive scheme and our record was a direct result of that but in my honest opinion I think we still have a top 10 football team in FCS this year and have no doubts about it. We easlily could have been in the playoffs last year and made an impact. But like I said we do have question marks, and I hope Tennesse Vols overlook us come September. I'm gonna make the trip too that game...I know its gonna be a great experience.

katstrapper
June 2nd, 2011, 01:06 PM
I think the biggest question mark for the 2011-2012 Sam Houston squad continues to be the secondary. They played better last year, but were young. Also can we develop more of a passing game now that our freshman QB will be in his second year.

SHSU returns pretty much its entire OL, conference leading RB and starting QB. Sam Houston actually returns almost all of its starters from a year ago. It will be Coach Fritz's sophomore season, lets see what he can do.

DJKyR0
June 2nd, 2011, 01:19 PM
Couple places for NDSU. Quarterback is the carryover from last season as we're still looking for a real heir to the starting position for the next few years who can be an effective passer. Jensen may be the answer to this but his completion percentage was shaky at best. WR is a big question too, as we bring back one receiver who made a catch in a conference game at all last season and the rest are freshmen. Hopefully our two young guys Vraa and Gebhart can make some magic and back up Holloway. CB depth is the other big concern, as there are rumors regarding Pierre's eligibility and after Williams it looks pretty thin, with only a JUCO and freshmen behind them.

carney2
June 2nd, 2011, 01:20 PM
Lafayette:

QB: Mediocre in 2010 with the same starter returning. "He's the best we have."

RB: Some talent, but, as a group, undersized and injury prone.

OL: Dreadful in 2010. No, I take that back. That 2010 group gave dreadful a bad name. Not an easy position for a quick fix. The head coach is starting with the philosophy "size matters." At one point in the spring the two-deep averaged over 310.

DL: No penetration or serious first line of defense in 2010. One or two bright spots in spring drills.

LB: Not a great performance in 2010, but some question if it was because of being sandwiched between DL (see above) and DB (see below).

DB: Soft coverage r us. Every receiver is given a 10-yard cushion. Apparent philosophy: tackle well, but don't challenge for a ball that's in the air.

KICKING: Punter, place kicker and, I believe, kickoff people have all graduated. If there are replacements on board, it isn't obvious.

COACHING: Any version of an opponent's hurry-up offense turned the entire defense into a Chinese fire drill.

Other than that, things are looking really good on College Hill.

TheDancinMonarch
June 2nd, 2011, 01:21 PM
When you are new to FCS football, or just football in general, as Old Dominion is, and are new to a league, the CAA, as we are this year, the biggest question mark we have is that we have no real idea what the question marks are. We approach this year with excitement but with a large dose of fear and trepidation. We think we are prepared but only time will tell. xconfusedx

chattownmocs
June 2nd, 2011, 01:46 PM
O-line

jmufan999
June 2nd, 2011, 02:48 PM
1. QB
2. DT to replace Ronnell Brown (when he was out last year, it really hurt our defense. he was very disruptive)
3. skill position players on offense, other than TE? especially if Quintin Hunter misses the entire year (which i expect to happen; achilles injury in the spring [at least I think that's when it was] )

Eaglesrus
June 2nd, 2011, 03:41 PM
Why Coach insists on running the triple option again?

blueballs
June 2nd, 2011, 03:51 PM
For GSU the question is this:

Is the big finish from last year which included wins over App, at Furman, SCSU, at William and Mary, and at Wofford the product of a young team maturing and growing into a system or just a team that got hot at the right time?

Apphole
June 2nd, 2011, 03:53 PM
O freakin' Line! The new D transition has me a little nervous, but overall we are stacked....Except for the afore mentioned concern.

LeadBolt
June 2nd, 2011, 04:09 PM
How many times we will score more points than the opposing team does.

Sam
June 2nd, 2011, 04:25 PM
Question is who will be playing QB? Great OL so hopefully it will make it easier for the QB coming in...

Sam
June 2nd, 2011, 04:26 PM
COLGATE
Question is who will be playing QB? Great OL so hopefully it will make it easier for the QB coming in...

darell1976
June 2nd, 2011, 04:39 PM
Offense!!
QB- we will have a new one (Landry graduated)
We had a new format the "pistol" offense. Looked horrible last season. So maybe with the young kids getting older we have fixed the crap that was 2010 and have a great 2011 season.

bjtheflamesfan
June 2nd, 2011, 04:51 PM
For Liberty:

1) Who will step up in the running game? Aldreakis Allen is back after being away for the 2010 season and with Mike Brown carrying virtually all the load, will he be able to play as well as he did in the latter half of 2009 or will one of the other backs (SirChauncey Holloway, Korrey Davis or Chase Barnett finally take the lead...or will Desmond Rice come in off his redshirt year and play like another local RB product (former Liberty All American and Jacksonville Jaguars RB Rashad Jennings)...
2) Defensive Backfield- Illinois transfer Walt Aikens sat out last year (transfer rules) but he showed impressively in spring practice, often matching up with #1 WR Chris Summers...how will he fare matching up with opposing wideouts? The backs got burned quite a bit against CCU (and on a few plays against Stony Brook).
3) Offensive Line- The Flames lose a pair of first team all-conference players in Alex Stadler and Justin Vargas as well as second team honoree Soeren Wendland...who will step in to fill the void left by those three and clear the path for the running backs mentioned in #1

Brad82
June 2nd, 2011, 05:32 PM
Rhody-was last year's major improvement a fluke or start of something?

LeadBolt
June 2nd, 2011, 05:34 PM
Rhody-was last year's major improvement a fluke or start of something?

I would guess start of something.

PantherRob82
June 2nd, 2011, 06:33 PM
My biggest question mark is which team is my team these days...

lionsrking2
June 2nd, 2011, 07:05 PM
For the Lions, we have to replace two really good O-linemen in Kevin Hughes and Mike Stallworth, and will be relatively young in the trenches, despite having three starters back...have some talented young kids stepping up but won't get a true sense of where we stand until we get a few games into the season...we also have a quasi, new starting QB in Brian Young, though he did start a couple of games and saw extensive playing time in 2010...he had an outstanding spring and I'm confident he'll rise to the challenge as the primary starter, but you never know until he does it.

Defensively, we have to replace just about the entire secondary, but we'll be significantly more talented, especially at cornerback...we went from corner being a major liability in 2010 to perhaps having the most talented pair in the SLC...we return Robert Alford, who missed all of last year with an injury, and picked up Memphis transfer, Todd Washington, who started several games as a true freshman last year...both are legitimate lockdown types.

We also have to replace two highly productive LBs in Mark Newbill and Ryan Godare, plus Tommy Connors...again, we'll be bigger, stronger, faster and see an upgrade in physical talent and skill, but replacing the leadership and production of those three will be extremely tough.

The Eagle's Cliff
June 2nd, 2011, 07:19 PM
2010's GSU team went beyond X's and O's. When most people in Eagle Nation had called it a season heading in to the App game at 4-4, the TEAM came together in a very special way and made a 6 game run including a comeback against Furman in the season finale full of sloppy and great football from both teams. That TEAM Chemistry is what made the 2010 version "special" and I think we'll have to have it again to be serious contenders. Shaw's durability is also a question mark to me. He's one tough kid, but seems to take every hit full force. We're better at the back-up than we were, but I don't think we're good enough yet. I hope I'm proven wrong, but I would've put Georgia Southern toward the bottom of my pre-season Top 10, especially playing at App where we only win 30%.

superman7515
June 2nd, 2011, 08:08 PM
Delaware - QB & defensive backfield

BigHouseClosedEnd
June 2nd, 2011, 08:28 PM
Richmond - will Aaron Corp be ready?

ngineer
June 2nd, 2011, 09:44 PM
For Lehigh it will be special teams. Punter Smith, who was very reliable is declared ineligible. His replacement, a soph (whose name I currently forget) made a nice showing in the spring game, but that was the spring game. Time will tell. The long snapper for the past three years graduated, so his replacement is still in competition. PK has a mediocre leg. Fairly accurate from 35 yds on in, but not a long range threat. New frosh coming in supposedly has a stronger leg, but who knows.

Mountain Hawks have good to excellent experience returning in all other areas, so if special teams gets solidified and reliable, another trip to the playoffs should be in the offing.

HailSzczur
June 2nd, 2011, 09:51 PM
Can our O-line protect whoever ends up under center for us? We lost Ijalana and Clouser to graduation and Ekweozor to injury, so its going to be a very young and inexperienced line protecting an equally young and inexperienced QB.

This same question of: will players step up? carries across most positions except maybe recievers and maybe our secondary.

Coaching wise there are no major questions to be asked.

And of course, there is the million dollar question of "Will Villanova join the Big East?"

GeauxLions94
June 2nd, 2011, 10:11 PM
For the Lions, we have to replace two really good O-linemen in Kevin Hughes and Mike Stallworth, and will be relatively young in the trenches, despite having three starters back...have some talented young kids stepping up but won't get a true sense of where we stand until we get a few games into the season...we also have a quasi, new starting QB in Brian Young, though he did start a couple of games and saw extensive playing time in 2010...he had an outstanding spring and I'm confident he'll rise to the challenge as the primary starter, but you never know until he does it.

Defensively, we have to replace just about the entire secondary, but we'll be significantly more talented, especially at cornerback...we went from corner being a major liability in 2010 to perhaps having the most talented pair in the SLC...we return Robert Alford, who missed all of last year with an injury, and picked up Memphis transfer, Todd Washington, who started several games as a true freshman last year...both are legitimate lockdown types.

We also have to replace two highly productive LBs in Mark Newbill and Ryan Godare, plus Tommy Connors...again, we'll be bigger, stronger, faster and see an upgrade in physical talent and skill, but replacing the leadership and production of those three will be extremely tough.

And it can't get much worse than it did last season.

I agree on your assessment ... big ?'s for Lions in 2011 is 1.) depth along OL, 2.) how well does new secondary gel, 3.) how will Young lead the offense or is there a wildcard (Jordan Barnett, Jeremy Meyers, Brian Ensminger) waiting in the wings, 4.) who replaces Newbill and Godare at LB and 5.) what will mentality of team be after playing three of first four games on the road (at Tulane, at Southern Miss, at McNeese)

HailSzczur
June 3rd, 2011, 10:26 AM
How many times we will score more points than the opposing team does.

Most likely more times then we will

GaSouthern
June 3rd, 2011, 12:13 PM
Who will be our backup B-Back is our biggest question mark.

ur2k
June 3rd, 2011, 12:14 PM
Richmond - will Aaron Corp be ready?

And who steps up as our primary running back. Also what happens to our LB corps without Weldon and McBride.

rufus
June 3rd, 2011, 01:18 PM
JMU: Offensive line. It'll be interesting to see how the young guys who played last year do with more experience under their belt. Lack of blocking ability last year definitely impacted our ability to run our spread offense which relies so much on up-front blocking.

Just the offensive line? I would say our entire offense is a big question mark after averaging something like 13 pts per game last year. Ok, to be fair, maybe the offensive play calling is the biggest question mark.

RichH2
June 3rd, 2011, 02:15 PM
For Lehigh, most serious concern is punter. Next replacing all 4 starters in the D backfield.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 3rd, 2011, 03:51 PM
For EWU, CB's are the biggest question mark as we'll have two new starters. I'm not too worried however, after the playing and practice time they got from November-Jan, and their performance in the Spring. RB is sort of a question mark... not in regards to production, but who will produce the most. Mario Brown and UW transfer Demetrius Bronson should be splitting carries, but I expect to see Mario get more and put up better numbers.

Poly's Brutality
June 4th, 2011, 02:15 AM
For EWU, CB's are the biggest question mark as we'll have two new starters. I'm not too worried however, after the playing and practice time they got from November-Jan, and their performance in the Spring. RB is sort of a question mark... not in regards to production, but who will produce the most. Mario Brown and UW transfer Demetrius Bronson should be splitting carries, but I expect to see Mario get more and put up better numbers.

Any news on Andre Williams, and did Markeem ever enroll? Mario looked great for frosh, will be interesting to see how he develops. Should help to have meatier guy like Bronson in there, too.

Poly's Brutality
June 4th, 2011, 02:26 AM
With due apologies to all, and you know who you are, not sure this new guy (from Pennsylvania maybe?) is any good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtA_gyCvdc0

No jokes please xwhistlex

techstate
June 4th, 2011, 02:29 AM
For poly the real question is can Walsh finish a season. Being ranked top 10 midseason and then losing out is killing me. COME ON! FINISH A SEASON OUT BOYS! Besides that we have a lot of guys returning so the real question is can we get a kicker and can that guy not get a DUI in the off season please. We hold our players to a higher stander then that come on.

Go Poly

Poly's Brutality
June 4th, 2011, 03:25 AM
For poly the real question is can Walsh finish a season. Being ranked top 10 midseason and then losing out is killing me. COME ON! FINISH A SEASON OUT BOYS! Besides that we have a lot of guys returning......

Well at risk of highjacking the thread (sorry), did seem like lot of injuries; maybe we need to be fresher on game day, maybe take a little more time off even? (PS, DUI thing was not that, was lesser charge, but agree on standard anyway, kid apologized, remorseful in paper, etc.) Finish out season, you say? How about finish out Davis game after piling up big lead, (ouch), but, pretty sure that's not gonna happen again any time soon. Hopefully that was the proverbial "c--p of the past becoming the fertilizer of the future." Large number of returners (good ones, too) one year older should also be stronger. Does seem like coaches trying to fill in any holes, with their own recruited players coming more of age (still only as sophomores); upper classmen leaders like Asa Jackson DB, Mark Rodgers RB, Gavin Cooper DL, and Andre Broaddus QB should have banner years. Question mark at beginning is San Diego State then Montana right off the bat so we better hit the ground runnin' (no pun intended).

Screamin_Eagle174
June 4th, 2011, 03:30 AM
Any news on Andre Williams, and did Markeem ever enroll? Mario looked great for frosh, will be interesting to see how he develops. Should help to have meatier guy like Bronson in there, too.

Andre left the team, and likely won't be back. Markeem is listed on the roster, so I'm presuming he's in school and will be on the depth chart. I think Mario is going to have a breakout year now that TJ is gone. I would be surprised if he didn't rush for 1000 yards this year. Bronson is a tough runner, and much like Beaumonte, will be great in short yardage situations.

So how much spread can we expect to see out of CP this year? Will it be 50/50 hybrid with the option do you think? If so, that would be hard to defend. That's one game that could be huge in terms of playoffs considerations if we stumble early on.

phoenix3
June 4th, 2011, 04:32 AM
Coaching staff, offensive system, QB, D line, O line - in that order for me. I'm very hopeful but realistic. It'll probably take the new staff a couple of years to make things gel.

ngineer
June 4th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Coaching staff, offensive system, QB, D line, O line - in that order for me. I'm very hopeful but realistic. It'll probably take the new staff a couple of years to make things gel.

Did Lembo take a number with him, or did everyone scatter, or the new guy trying to bring his 'own' guys in?

slostang
June 4th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Andre left the team, and likely won't be back. Markeem is listed on the roster, so I'm presuming he's in school and will be on the depth chart. I think Mario is going to have a breakout year now that TJ is gone. I would be surprised if he didn't rush for 1000 yards this year. Bronson is a tough runner, and much like Beaumonte, will be great in short yardage situations.

So how much spread can we expect to see out of CP this year? Will it be 50/50 hybrid with the option do you think? If so, that would be hard to defend. That's one game that could be huge in terms of playoffs considerations if we stumble early on.

Not sure what the percentage will be, but you will definately see both.

As far as a question mark for Cal Poly, I would have to say WR. We return 4/5 starters on the O-line, an all-conference FB, 2 starting SB, an very talented QB. Transfer RB Deonte Williams is also a big weapon. The offense is loaded, but we will have 2 new starters at WR. They expect big things from 6'4" 220 Rfr Lance Castaneda. Sr WR Jarred Houston is one of the top 100 m sprinters in the Big West so he has the speed to stretch the defense. They also expect true freshman Willie Tucker to come in and compete for time. Will be interesting to see who will step up at WR. If we have have a couple of WR step up, this offense will be hard to stop.

Poly's Brutality
June 4th, 2011, 04:51 PM

Ha, RB situation doesn't exactly sound like a question mark there! Pretty good 1-2 punch. ... For Poly, changes being implemented to the offense for sure, most of which should be vetted before our EW game. QB Broaddus will be a threat, great runner and also flings it very well; receivers mostly young (we lost Dominique to graduation), but with Mark Rodgers in there, and former N Ariz Big Sky Deonte Williams transferred in, and power Jake Romanelli back, RB's and offense should be exciting. Was great to hear Art Munoz (OL) also back, line play should also be very good. TO still the plan mostly I believe but with a few wrinkles, shotgun look, etc. Can a blend like that work well, could be the question, though the personnel looks really dangerously competent and with right mix on whatever down, we should be scoring more points. Kicker also has huge leg, can hit from 60, new punters good also so field position if we hold the ball will likely be good most of time, better than last year. You guys lost some good players I know, but what is real question I wonder?

ncbears
June 4th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Biggest question marks going in are how we're going to adjust to a new coaching staff. Brand new offense, which Im not a big fan of and brand new defense. Also, our best wide receiver might be ineligible for the season. He was during the spring.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 5th, 2011, 02:51 AM
Ha, RB situation doesn't exactly sound like a question mark there! Pretty good 1-2 punch. ... For Poly, changes being implemented to the offense for sure, most of which should be vetted before our EW game. QB Broaddus will be a threat, great runner and also flings it very well; receivers mostly young (we lost Dominique to graduation), but with Mark Rodgers in there, and former N Ariz Big Sky Deonte Williams transferred in, and power Jake Romanelli back, RB's and offense should be exciting. Was great to hear Art Munoz (OL) also back, line play should also be very good. TO still the plan mostly I believe but with a few wrinkles, shotgun look, etc. Can a blend like that work well, could be the question, though the personnel looks really dangerously competent and with right mix on whatever down, we should be scoring more points. Kicker also has huge leg, can hit from 60, new punters good also so field position if we hold the ball will likely be good most of time, better than last year. You guys lost some good players I know, but what is real question I wonder?

Sounds like your offense will resemble Nevada/PSU's pistol to an extent... at least I hope because we have some experience defending it after Nevada, PSU and SEMO last year.

Like I already mentioned, CB will be our biggest question mark, followed closely by KR and PR since both Hoffman (3 KOR TDs last year) and Jones are gone. I hope to see some more TE involvement in the passing game this year with a couple young guys that got some quality reps last year. Our DL should be downright nasty, and we return 4/5 on OL.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 5th, 2011, 02:52 AM
Biggest question marks going in are how we're going to adjust to a new coaching staff. Brand new offense, which Im not a big fan of and brand new defense. Also, our best wide receiver might be ineligible for the season. He was during the spring.

Grades?

phoenix3
June 5th, 2011, 06:01 AM
Did Lembo take a number with him, or did everyone scatter, or the new guy trying to bring his 'own' guys in?

I believe Lembo kept two from the former Ball State staff & brought one in from Richmond, the rest were his Elon guys. Swepson, Elon's new coach, only had three to choose from left from Lembo's old staff. He kept two and the third, to my knowledge, was already looking to get out of coaching. I'm pretty happy with the staff Sweps has put together, some solid guys from FBS programs. But with any coaching regime change, we'll just have to wait and see.

Appaholic
June 6th, 2011, 02:23 PM
OLine, Defense as a whole & Receivers....anything else? Oh yeah, placekicking...

kdinva
June 6th, 2011, 03:02 PM
VMI:

A) Having one QB (Morgan or Kordenbrock) step up and become #1 and take 90% of the snaps in the Fall.
B) replacing the three starters on the D-Line, but the underclassmen competing for those positions are excited and ready to get on the field.
C) replacing the two-year starting punter.
D) Finding a kicker who can get kickoffs inside the 10, and can hit FG's consistently up to 49 yards or thereabouts.

McNeese72
June 6th, 2011, 06:22 PM
For McNeese:

Can we find enough footballs for all the runningbacks we have? Of course, we thought that last year and, due to injuries, we ended the season with the guy who would have been 4th string on the depth chart starting backed up by a freshman, who was redshirting and one of our Qb's who was good at running.

Seriously, on offense, do we have enough depth at OL? Will our young receivers step up? Who will start at QB, soph Cody Stroud be the man, or is transfer Riley Dodge the real thing?

On defense, will our young defensive lineman and linebackers step up? The coaches really like some of the young linebackers. Will our defense be as good as it being projected to be?

Kicking who will be the deep snapper and the holder for Josh Lewis? Who will do the punting?

Even with all these questions, I have a good feeling about this year. Tell you more during August preseason workouts.

Doc

P.S. One other question, will the new fieldhouse be completed for the open house for season ticket holders on July 30th?

Jag4Life
June 8th, 2011, 10:58 AM
For SU it will be the consistent play from our QBs. We are inexperienced at WRs and our secondary who will be a little experienced but still raw.

clenz
June 8th, 2011, 06:37 PM
If we can finally win the title....that's about it.

If Rennie can cut down on INT's the only question we should face is can we finally win it all.
\

achrist70
June 8th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I have to say the throwing ability of our qb, and our kicking game

SFA 93
June 9th, 2011, 08:12 AM
SFA Lumberjacks

QB: Six on the roster and the question is who will start?

New OC Michael Nesbitt will look to continue the SFA’s pass happy offense.

Key departures: All-American Jeremy Moses

Returning: #14 Dalton Williams 6-4; 230 (Jr.) and #8 Brady Attaway 6-1; 210 (So.) Williams has the most experience between the two with 24 games played, along with his career stats at ATT:66;CMP:44;CP%:67;YDS:467;TD:4;INT:4

Signees: #13 Stevie Douglas 6-5; 205 (Fr.) #10 Joe Minden 6-3; 193 (Fr.) #1 Tyler Boyd 5-10; 170 (Fr.) and walk-on #12 Colt Plaster 6-0; 175 (Fr.)

RB: Jacks have five in the stable. Will the Jacks run the ball a little more with the inexperience at QB?

Key departures: Romonte Hampton (left team)

Returning: #26 Jeremy Barnes 5-11; 180 (Jr.) 589 total yards and 6 TDs #29 Keith Lawson 5-9; 185 (So.) 377 total yards 4TDs and #24 Travis Walker 5-11; 215 (Jr.) 21 total yards and 2 TDs for the 2010 season.

Signees: #12 LeFredrick Ford 6-0; 190 (Fr.) and #6 Gus Johnson 5-10; 210 (Fr.)

I would look for the true freshman Ford to get the start at the beginning of the season. He's that good.

WR: No questions, as here are your starters...

WR:#17 Gralyn Crawford 5-11; 175 (Jr.) All-American
WR:#80 Cordell Roberson 6-3; 200 (Jr.) All-American
WR:#3 Kris Lott 6-1; 195 (So.) All-SLC
WR:#19 Anthony Foster 6-2; 200 (Jr.)

SFA is deep at WR, with 17 on the roster highlighted with the signings of #83 Marquis Mosley 6-4; 190 (Fr.) #86 Steven Cunigan 6-3; 185 (Fr.) #21 Chris Bailey 6-2; 200 (Fr.) and the future at slot receiver #27 Braxton Bearden 5-9; 183 (Fr.) 4.3 speed.

OL: No questions, here are your starters...

OL:#75 George Bias 6-3; 300 (Sr.) GP:36 ALL-SLC
OL:#65 Greg Hall 6-3; 340 (So.) GP:7
OL:#63 John Steel 6-5; 285 (Jr.) GP:25 ALL-SLC
OL:#60 Austin Wright 6-2; 320 (Jr.) GP:16
OL:#78 Corey Dickerson 6-9; 320 (Jr.) GP:25 ALL-SLC

Big strong experienced OL for SFA with 15 on the roster, highlighted with the signing of #64 Jeremy Neff 6-4; 315 (Fr.)

DL: Questions here for the Jacks. Can they stop the run?

Key departures: All-American Kenneth Charles, ALL-SLC Sean Warren, and Rainey Sternes.

The Lumberjacks will be a little thin on the defensive line having just 11 on the roster, in which 6 of those having actual game experience on the FCS level.

Returning: #94 Corey Hill 6-0; 320 (So.) GP:11;TKL:18;TFL:3.0;SCK:2.5;FF:1;FR:0;PD:0;INT:0; BLK:0
#51 Malcolm Mattox 6-1; 260 (So.) GP:10;TKL:21;TFL:4.5;SCK:4.0;FF:2;FR:0;PD:1;INT:0; BLK:0
#48 Darren Robinson 5-11; 235 (So.) GP:12;TKL:31;TFL:6.5;SCK:1.5;FF:1;FR:0;PD:2;INT:0; BLK:0
#91 Weekendfer Saurit 6-0; 320 (Sr.)
GP:36;TKL:52;TFL:7.5;SCK:1.5;FF:0;FR:0;PD:1;INT:1; BLK:0
#90 Gordon Booker II 6-0; 295 (Sr.)
GP:35;TKL:66;TFL:7.5;SCK:1.5;FF:1;FR:0;PD:0;INT:0; BLK:0

Back from injury and 2010’s original starter #56 Jacob Fincher 6-3; 250 (Jr.) GP:11;TKL:17;TFL:6.0;SCK:4.5;FF:0;FR:1;PD:0;INT:0; BLK:0

Signees highlighted by JUCO All-American #44 Keith Watson 6-1; 260 (Jr.) #99 Kentarrius McDonald 6-3; 245 (Jr.) and former Texas Tech signee #93 Mike Jones 6-2; 265 (Fr.)

LB: Other than the starters, the question will be who will claim the back up rolls?

Key departure: All-American Jabara Williams

Returning: Experience and senior leadership do return with two of the top linebackers in the SLC in #45 Derrick Choice 6-0; 220 (Sr.) All-SLC
GP:37; TKL:269;TFL:22.5;SCK:4.5;FF:0;FR:2;PD:11;INT:0
and #40 Devin Ducote 5-11; 200 (Sr.) All-SLC
GP:35; TKL:317;TFL:24.5;SCK:3.5;FF:3;FR:8;PD:13;INT:5
Also returning and Williams’ replacement, #47 Ryan Epperson 6-0; 220 (Jr.)
GP:25; TKL:105;TFL:3.5;SCK:1.5;FF:0;FR:2;PD:0;INT:0
Also back are #7 Justin Isadore 5-10; 200 (So.)
GP:10;TKL:17 and #48 Romeo Robinson 5-8; 210 (Sr.)

Again a little thin at LB as the Jacks have only 8, with key signees #50 Rodney Young 6-2; 200 (Fr.) #52 Hunter Gregg 6-0; 195 (Fr.) and #43 Nick Bryant 5-10; 205 (Fr.) Look for some of the DBs to get a look at LB during the season.

The secondary looks to be solid and the strength for the Jacks’ 2011 season with returning starters All-SLC #2 Ben Wells 6-1; 200 (Sr.) All-SLC #32 Caleb Nelson 5-11; 190 (So.) #30 David Cato 5-11; 200 (Sr.) and All-SLC #37 Josh Aubrey 5-11; 200 (Jr.)

Key Departure: Andre Banks

Also returning with valuable game experience is #25 Josh Hughey 6-0; 185 (So.)

Key signees are #20 Kwame Clark 6-0; 202 (Fr.) #15 Marvin Gray 6-1; 178 (Fr.) and #33 Trey Vallier 5-9; 183 (Fr.)

Special teams has the return of kicker #35 Thomas Henshaw 5-10; 175 (So.) All-SLC punter #36 Drew Nelson 6-1; 210 (Sr.) and kicker returner #17 Gralyn Crawford 5-11; 175 (Jr.) All-American K/PR:60;YDS:1,221;TD:4;LNG:99;AVG:28

Key signee kicker #42 Jordan Wiggs 5-9; 183 (Fr.)

So again…

QB:?
RB:?
WR: Strength
OL: Strength
DL:?
LB: Solid
DB: Strength
ST: Strength

TwoFeathers
June 10th, 2011, 11:00 AM
For GSU the question is this:

Is the big finish from last year which included wins over App, at Furman, SCSU, at William and Mary, and at Wofford the product of a young team maturing and growing into a system or just a team that got hot at the right time?

Yes and yes.

TwoFeathers
June 10th, 2011, 11:03 AM
2010's GSU team went beyond X's and O's. When most people in Eagle Nation had called it a season heading in to the App game at 4-4, the TEAM came together in a very special way and made a 6 game run including a comeback against Furman in the season finale full of sloppy and great football from both teams. That TEAM Chemistry is what made the 2010 version "special" and I think we'll have to have it again to be serious contenders. Shaw's durability is also a question mark to me. He's one tough kid, but seems to take every hit full force. We're better at the back-up than we were, but I don't think we're good enough yet. I hope I'm proven wrong, but I would've put Georgia Southern toward the bottom of my pre-season Top 10, especially playing at App where we only win 30%.

Agreed on Jaybo. He almost went out at the end of last year, and he's had concussions and a broken clavicle. Need to keep that kid on his feet to make another run at it.

TwoFeathers
June 10th, 2011, 11:09 AM
W&M

1) Will Paulus play as well, or better than last year
2) Will Paulus even be the starter???
3) Will Grimes continue his stellar career?
4) Will the Defense show up again, with Trantin back, and in spite of the loss of our DC?
5) Will the combination of Paulus, Grimes, Gottlieb and Moody dominate on offense?
6) Will I be able to get tickets to the JMU and ODU games???

bpcats
June 10th, 2011, 12:48 PM
For Montana State

1) Running Back - Lost starting RB due to academics. He excelled at making plays out of nothing. Almost looks like a mogul skier when he makes his cuts. For every correctly blocked play that he took advantage of, there were 5 more that he got on his own. We are still 4-5 deep at that position but most of the remaining backs are downhill runners and lack the elite speed that we lost. Definitely limit the amount of outside zone runs we call next year.

2) Offensive line - MSU lost its starting RG last year to injury (still working his way back) and it created a ripple affect where we were the lightest (although very athletic) offensive line in the conference by 15-24 lbs. We are very good at pass blocking and exhibit very good technique but there is no substitute for size as we struggled all season long (especially last 4-6 games) in creating a push up front to open up holes like we did in the past. Only time we really did well was when put a TE into the backfield to blast open some big running lanes. The Coaches recruited a lot of size out of JC ranks and high school kids but they will need time to mesh.

3) Secondary - When your DT leads the team in interceptions and is 2nd in PBU you know your in trouble. We were forced to play a lot of young players last year due to injury and when the young guys were in (especially at safety) our pass defense really struggled. When our senior safeties got back in the game it made a world of difference but we still struggled to come up with any interceptions. The guys we have coming back are probably more athletic than what we have but they need to generate picks versus just PBU's. We will have a lot of young guys playing and they need to figure out a vocal leader among them.

4) Defensive Tackle - Have potential all american in Zach Minter and very solid players in Kelli'i next to him. However after that we are young/on the smaller side in trying to develop rotation. MSU will have plenty of talent there but nobody has really grabbed hold of that 2nd line in the rotation...yet.

Overall I think with McGhee at QB and our passing game going, that should help take pressure off of our running game and help open it up. On defense we just need young guys to step and they are talented enough to do so.

UNIFanSince1983
June 10th, 2011, 08:31 PM
The biggest question I have about our team is whether our quarterback (who runs like the wind) can throw the ball to our team more than he does to the other team.

I really like Rennie, but to lead us to where we want to be he has got to throw the ball better. He also has to avoid the injury bug. He tended to get nicked up at least once every game last yet.

achrist70
June 10th, 2011, 09:12 PM
The biggest question I have about our team is whether our quarterback (who runs like the wind) can throw the ball to our team more than he does to the other team.

I really like Rennie, but to lead us to where we want to be he has got to throw the ball better. He also has to avoid the injury bug. He tended to get nicked up at least once every game last yet.

I personally do not want to see Tirrell get hurt but I do think Lanpher will be very good for us in time.

eiu1999
June 13th, 2011, 11:40 AM
For EIU, in Coach Spoos final season, who will be the new head coach?

QB: Jimmy Garoppolo, good mobility, decent arm, but needs to control interceptions 13 in 211 attempts.

RB: Anyone? Someone? Hello? Big Problem.

DB: Experienced, quantity, but no real quality.

Punting: Big hole left with no answer.

In general, not turning the ball over will make or break just a decent season. No running game so speak of and a transition year for a retiring coach.

VBR_Productions
June 13th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Old Dominion:

1. Do we have the depth to compete should injuries severely hit this season?
2. Who plays left tackle? Tobin Cameron started all 22 games in our history but he graduated (he was a JUCO transfer).
3. Can we replace the production of Deron Mayo and his 6.5 sacks/12 TFL?
4. Can Thomas DeMarco hold up for the entire season against the CAA? He took some shots last year and the conference's defenses are better than most we've played the first two years.