PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Top 25

fcsfan1
May 27th, 2011, 05:35 PM
http://www.southernpigskin.com/SoCon/view/eagles-at-the-top

Link

Grizzaholic
May 27th, 2011, 06:33 PM
I am sorry. This poll may have some merit to some, but to me it is 90% BS. Any poll with Montana in the top 20 is full of ****.

Gil Dobie
May 27th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I am sorry. This poll may have some merit to some, but to me it is 90% BS. Any poll with Montana in the top 20 is full of ****.

.........or NDSU in the top 20

blukeys
May 27th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Who was polled??? This looks like the opinion of 2 of the writers. Can I have a "poll" of my family members count?

Tribe4SF
May 27th, 2011, 09:06 PM
On a serious note, not having New Hampshire even in the top 25 just shows a lack of knowledge.

Tribal
May 27th, 2011, 09:46 PM
On a serious note, not having New Hampshire even in the top 25 just shows a lack of knowledge.

Exactly! Ignorant writers...they don't have a clue.

bojeta
May 27th, 2011, 10:41 PM
While I don't share all of their picks and would shuffle the order somewhat of those I do share, I wouldn't rake anyone over the coals for these choices. Looking past the simple W/L and at total performance, returning players, transition coaching years etc. I think there are quite a few reasons to support many of their picks. Montana for example; huge and talented players that have now had a year to adjust to a new coaching staff, should look much more like the Montana we know. Even with the coaching change, too much was made of a 7-4 season which, be honest, is not a bad season, even with a DII win in there.

Twentysix
May 27th, 2011, 10:52 PM
While I don't share all of their picks and would shuffle the order somewhat of those I do share, I wouldn't rake anyone over the coals for these choices. Looking past the simple W/L and at total performance, returning players, transition coaching years etc. I think there are quite a few reasons to support many of their picks. Montana for example; huge and talented players that have now had a year to adjust to a new coaching staff, should look much more like the Montana we know. Even with the coaching change, too much was made of a 7-4 season which, be honest, is not a bad season, even with a DII win in there.

6-5 v DI is a bad season. So is 6-4. The D2 doesnt count unless you lose.

GlassOnion
May 27th, 2011, 10:54 PM
If Im not mistaken, this is the second poll they've come out with this summer... try try try again? PS

ngineer
May 28th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Clueless. Anyone with a keyboard and type up a list and post it.

bojeta
May 29th, 2011, 02:01 AM
6-5 v DI is a bad season. So is 6-4. The D2 doesnt count unless you lose.

Hmmmm, perhaps you've never played the game. So many factors that can change a winning season to a losing one. One of the biggest is the type of transitions Montana was facing and yet they finish 7-4 with the following losses: Cal Poly 35-33, E. WA (Nat Champs) 36-27, Montana State (BSC Co-Champs and the team that beat the Nat Champs) 21-16 and a solid Weber State team (6-5 with two losses to FBS teams). I've been around long enough and played enough seasons myself to know the difference between a bad season and a disappointing one. Too much hype and unrealistic expectations. I repeat; not a bad season.

TexasTerror
May 29th, 2011, 07:01 AM
SLC representation of UCA at No. 12 and SFA at No. 15...??? LOL

Not sure he realizes how much talent SFA lost... and I would not put UCA in the top two, possibly not even top three of the league next year.

smallcollegefbfan
May 29th, 2011, 09:13 AM

Not sure he realizes how much talent SFA lost... and I would not put UCA in the top two, possibly not even top three of the league next year.

SFA lost a lot but they do have 3 or 4 very good players on offense and could at least be formidable if they can get a decent replacement for Moses. They also have a few good ones on defense as well. I wouldn't put them in the top 15 but maybe in the 20s. What do you think?

Central Arkansas could be decent as well.

I'm thinking McNeese State wins the SLC though. Is that what you are thinking?

Sad thing is I believe the MVFC and SLC were so down last year that until the leagues prove they are elite I would not put a SLC team in the top 10 and I have a hard time putting UNI any higher than say 7-10 range as well.

FCS Go!
May 29th, 2011, 10:39 AM
TT & SC- Looking at the numbers only, SFA returns 10 starters on offense and 7 on defense (N. Iowa has similar numbers coming back at 8/10). I think one simply runs out of teams to put ahead of them unless you think there are 6 CAA teams in the top 10. Have I missed something re: SFA?

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 29th, 2011, 11:28 AM
TT & SC- Looking at the numbers only, SFA returns 10 starters on offense and 7 on defense (N. Iowa has similar numbers coming back at 8/10). I think one simply runs out of teams to put ahead of them unless you think there are 6 CAA teams in the top 10. Have I missed something re: SFA?

If they lost a lot of talent then you can throw my AGS ballot out the window. I read they returned 19 starters from a playoff team last year and ranked them very, very high. Owell....

clenz
May 29th, 2011, 11:33 AM
If they lost a lot of talent then you can throw my AGS ballot out the window. I read they returned 19 starters from a playoff team last year and ranked them very, very high. Owell....
They return a lot of starters BUT they lose Moses, and 3 or 4 of their starting front seven on defense.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 29th, 2011, 12:13 PM
They return a lot of starters BUT they lose Moses, and 3 or 4 of their starting front seven on defense.

Yes, those are very big losses or could be depending on how they can fill in. I'd rather lose 3 or 4 receivers/backs than the Oline when losing a QB like Moses. Most of the ballots seem to take SFA's losses into consideration.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 29th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Yes, those are very big losses or could be depending on how they can fill in. I'd rather lose 3 or 4 receivers/backs than the Oline when losing a QB like Moses. Most of the ballots seem to take SFA's losses into consideration.

I knew they lost Moses and i can deal with that. In fact if their oline and skill position players return i feel a little better with my selection. Dline can be rebuilt easier than the oline imo. I can't see the SLC being overly strong this year so i can still see the 'Jacks putting up 9 wins. I certaintly overrated them but not as much as i originally thought.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 29th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I knew they lost Moses and i can deal with that. In fact if their oline and skill position players return i feel a little better with my selection. Dline can be rebuilt easier than the oline imo. I can't see the SLC being overly strong this year so i can still see the 'Jacks putting up 9 wins. I certaintly overrated them but not as much as i originally thought.

The thing about it TU is it's preseason and it's pretty tough to argue one way or the other on anything as we don't know. I'd feel fine if I were you on the matter.xthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
May 29th, 2011, 01:27 PM

Well they weren't that good last year, shown in the playoffs, and they lose the Walter Payton winner. I think they will be a top 20-25 team and maybe could finish in the 12-15 range but don't see them as an elite team unless the new QB lights the world on fire. Even then the rest of the roster wasn't that impressive last year making me believe that they are likely a one and done type team in the playoffs this year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 29th, 2011, 01:34 PM
SCFF,

What's your take on Lehigh this year? I've seen them anywhere from 12th to unranked.

smallcollegefbfan
May 29th, 2011, 04:14 PM
SCFF,

What's your take on Lehigh this year? I've seen them anywhere from 12th to unranked.

They should be ranked for sure. I have them in my top 20. Would not surprise me to see them win a playoff game.

BEAR
May 29th, 2011, 11:27 PM

My predicted order of finish:
McNeese
UCA
SFA (if the lines can hold, then any qb that has time will help them succeed)
Sammie..maybe but most likely Northwestern
Others. xlolx

THis league has parity this coming year. But there is one thing for sure...McNeese will be the fav and only a couple of other teams will be in contention...and those two teams don't have Sammie in the name. xlolx

ngineer
May 30th, 2011, 08:38 AM
I fully agree. Beating UNI in the Dome last year said alot about the team and gave them a 'taste' of what they can do. With a lot of skill players returning and a decent core in the trenches, a preseason ranking in the 12-17 range is reasonable. September will say a lot with games against Top 10 New Hampshire and another Top 20, Liberty.