PDA

View Full Version : Mags top 10 preseason

GSU Eagle
May 25th, 2011, 09:53 AM
This is the spot to post the preseason mags top 10s. I have heard that Athlon has Ga. Southern at #1 but I have not seen their top 10.

Anyone who knows please post it here.

bluehenbillk
May 25th, 2011, 10:29 AM
I posted on CS yesterday I saw the top 5 on Twitter

1- GSU
2- W&M
3- EWU
4- Montana St
5- App

jmufan999
May 25th, 2011, 11:05 AM
most of you hate mickey matthews (and that's fine), but if he's anything, he's blunt....

he went out of his way to talk about W&M at length during a recent fundraiser. raved about them. he said he thinks they'll be #1 at some point this year. but i have no problem with that top 5, although i might move ASU up to 4.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 25th, 2011, 11:42 AM
most of you hate mickey matthews (and that's fine), but if he's anything, he's blunt....

he went out of his way to talk about W&M at length during a recent fundraiser. raved about them. he said he thinks they'll be #1 at some point this year. but i have no problem with that top 5, although i might move ASU up to 4.

I'm not sure I would. The top 4 teams on that list have real solid D's and are returning quite a few players and I thought ASU had a lot of questions on D? Not saying they won't be answered but based on what is known right now it looks pretty good to me.

StorminASU
May 25th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Honestly I would have to agree. We have had a somewhat suspect defense in the last few seasons and we are switching over to the 3-4 after losing a lot of stars on D. I still believe we're beating the crap out of GSU this year though.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 25th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Honestly I would have to agree. We have had a somewhat suspect defense in the last few seasons and we are switching over to the 3-4 after losing a lot of stars on D. I still believe we're beating the crap out of GSU this year though.

I probably saw GSU play four times last year and I was impressed with the D but ASU just seems to have the right kind of offense to exploet them enough for the win. That should be a doozy this year.

StorminASU
May 25th, 2011, 03:07 PM
GSU is the team that consistently has our kryptonite. Their the only team that can beat us every so often as of late. I love the rivalry and have a lot of respect for their program...even if they are a bunch of drunk rednecks from a smelly town xwhistlex

LeadBolt
May 25th, 2011, 03:13 PM
JMU is going to be very, very good this year. If QB play is consistent, they will be scary.

Baldy
May 25th, 2011, 03:48 PM
I probably saw GSU play four times last year and I was impressed with the D but ASU just seems to have the right kind of offense to exploet them enough for the win. That should be a doozy this year.
Actually, our defense was built with speed in able defend teams like Appy who run the spread. As evidenced by last season's losses to Samford and UD, our big problem on defense is stopping the big smashmouth run between the tackles type of offenses.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 25th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Actually, our defense was built with speed in able defend teams like Appy who run the spread. As evidenced by last season's losses to Samford and UD, our big problem on defense is stopping the big smashmouth run between the tackles type of offenses.

Gotcha. I remember seeing the early game against Navy and was pretty impressed all around.

pleahy1
May 25th, 2011, 06:35 PM
1. Georgia Southern
2. William & Mary
3. Eastern Washington
4. Montana State
5. Appalachian State
6. Delaware
7. Richmond
8. Wofford
9. Jacksonville State
10. Northern Iowa
11. North Dakota State
12. U Mass
13. New Hampshire
14. Lehigh
15. Sacramento State
16. Chattanooga
17. Villanova
18. Southern Illinois
19. Montana
20. Liberty
21. Northwestern State
22. Eastern Kentucky
23. Indiana State
24. Central Arkansas
25. Jacksonville

AppAlum2003
May 25th, 2011, 06:37 PM
JMU is going to be very, very good this year. If QB play is consistent, they will be scary.

W&M and JMU need to just get a room... sheesh.

LeadBolt
May 25th, 2011, 07:01 PM

Not likely. They are the folks we love to hate, but they will have a good team this year and should be in the top 10. They will be better than 2 or 3 of the teams in the top 10 above.

jmufan999
May 25th, 2011, 07:32 PM

haha my brother went there... they're my unquestioned favorite CAA team besides JMU. not much of a rivalry there if you ask me... W&M has their own rivalry with UR; those two schools are much more alike than JMU/W&M.

i think we will be better than most people think, but i really could care less where we start out in the rankings. doesn't mean anything, still have to go through a tough conference slate regardless. add in @Liberty and @UNC and that's a difficult schedule.

DFW HOYA
May 25th, 2011, 08:22 PM
23. Indiana State

Wow. In 2009, ISU was plumbing the depths of I-AA with teams like Georgetown, Northwestern State and Idaho St. Now, the Sycamores are top 25 challengers--a largely underreported story.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 25th, 2011, 08:42 PM
#14 looks about right for Lehigh. Colgate will likely be in some Top 25's as well. They'll certaintly be in mine.

molly
May 25th, 2011, 08:58 PM
W&M has too many question marks to be ranked #2 IMO. Their run defense will have to prove they're able to return to 2009 performance levels before I put them as a top 5 team. And there is still some uncertainty about QB until we know when Paulus is gonna be healthy enough to start.

The Eagle's Cliff
May 25th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I guess pre-season "is what it is", but App and Ga Southern lose most of the time as a visitor. Both schools are 3-7 away and 7-3 at home in the modern series. For that reason alone, App should start the season above Ga Southern. Ga Southern opened everyone's eyes last year, but the ball bounced our way more than once and we have lots of improvements to make. August 1 can't get here fast enough.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 25th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Wow. In 2009, ISU was plumbing the depths of I-AA with teams like Georgetown, Northwestern State and Idaho St. Now, the Sycamores are top 25 challengers--a largely underreported story.

Not only that I fully expect we're gonna see Idaho State climbing out of that hole starting this year and making more strides next year. Considering the way the Sycamores played with some decent power football last year it's not really like at least those of us on the boards should be overly surprised...a little but not too much.

Tribal
May 25th, 2011, 10:10 PM
but i really could care less where we start out in the rankings. doesn't mean anything, still have to go through a tough conference slate regardless.

Sort of. The issue with starting at #23 is that you have to win a few AND the top 10 teams lose 1 or 2 before you're even with them (unless you beat an ACC team!). If your team starts #4, they can lose a game and still stay in the top 10. If a #23 team drops one, they're usually out of the top 25. I hate having to depend on the top teams to lose in order to move up...significantly.

JMUNJ08
May 25th, 2011, 10:13 PM
1. Georgia Southern
2. William & Mary
3. Eastern Washington
4. Montana State
5. Appalachian State
6. Delaware
7. Richmond
8. Wofford
9. Jacksonville State
10. Northern Iowa
11. North Dakota State
12. U Mass
13. New Hampshire
14. Lehigh
15. Sacramento State
16. Chattanooga
17. Villanova
18. Southern Illinois
19. Montana
20. Liberty
21. Northwestern State
22. Eastern Kentucky
23. Indiana State
24. Central Arkansas
25. Jacksonville

No JMU? Should be a tougher team than at minimum 21-25 even with the modest past 2 years....

JMUNJ08
May 25th, 2011, 10:18 PM
haha my brother went there... they're my unquestioned favorite CAA team besides JMU. not much of a rivalry there if you ask me... W&M has their own rivalry with UR; those two schools are much more alike than JMU/W&M.

i think we will be better than most people think, but i really could care less where we start out in the rankings. doesn't mean anything, still have to go through a tough conference slate regardless. add in @Liberty and @UNC and that's a difficult schedule.

Have to disagree. I think while the UR/W&M rivalry is stronger due to location/size/academics but I have been to W&M twice for the JMU game and it has been a GREAT atmosphere both times. The crowd on both sides definitely get into it. Doesn't hurt they are in VA too. Alot of kids/alumni at all the schools are from VA and always nice to get a leg up on another school where you know some 'cats.

molly
May 25th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Have to disagree. I think while the UR/W&M rivalry is stronger due to location/size/academics but I have been to W&M twice for the JMU game and it has been a GREAT atmosphere both times. The crowd on both sides definitely get into it. Doesn't hurt they are in VA too. Alot of kids/alumni at all the schools are from VA and always nice to get a leg up on another school where you know some 'cats.

I think that most W&M alumni under the age of 30 consider JMU a bigger rival than UR. As you said, UR matches better in regards to academics, size, etc., but because of the 2004 semifinal game (and the way W&M won the regular season '04 game and lost the '05 game) I think JMU surpassed Richmond as W&M's biggest rival for the under-30 alumni.

Tribe4SF
May 26th, 2011, 05:22 AM
No JMU? Should be a tougher team than at minimum 21-25 even with the modest past 2 years....

Just in terms of the CAA teams, I'd have UNH and JMU ahead of Richmond and UMass. Can't see what Richmond returns to justify a #7. They lose some key defensive pieces from a team that didn't show much depth last year. CAA sleeper is Rhode Island, who could jump into playoff talk this year.

Tribal
May 26th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Just in terms of the CAA teams, I'd have UNH and JMU ahead of Richmond and UMass. Can't see what Richmond returns to justify a #7. They lose some key defensive pieces from a team that didn't show much depth last year. CAA sleeper is Rhode Island, who could jump into playoff talk this year.

I agree with this. W&M drummed UR last year and UR graduated some of their best players. I just cannot see UR any higher than #17. I would have UNH at #8 and JMU at #14 (only because I'm not sure about their QB). If their QB plays well, they'll move to top 10 by week 4. JMU's defense may allow fewer than 15 ppg this season.

McNeese72
May 26th, 2011, 08:20 AM
1. Georgia Southern
2. William & Mary
3. Eastern Washington
4. Montana State
5. Appalachian State
6. Delaware
7. Richmond
8. Wofford
9. Jacksonville State
10. Northern Iowa
11. North Dakota State
12. U Mass
13. New Hampshire
14. Lehigh
15. Sacramento State
16. Chattanooga
17. Villanova
18. Southern Illinois
19. Montana
20. Liberty
21. Northwestern State
22. Eastern Kentucky
23. Indiana State
24. Central Arkansas
25. Jacksonville

Hmmmm. No SFA?? That is interesting.

And I'll admit that I don't keep up with the Dolphins but are they that good now????

Doc

ur2k
May 26th, 2011, 09:45 AM
I agree with this. W&M drummed UR last year and UR graduated some of their best players. I just cannot see UR any higher than #17. I would have UNH at #8 and JMU at #14 (only because I'm not sure about their QB). If their QB plays well, they'll move to top 10 by week 4. JMU's defense may allow fewer than 15 ppg this season.

I agree with this as a UR fan.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 26th, 2011, 10:07 PM
I think that most W&M alumni under the age of 30 consider JMU a bigger rival than UR. I think JMU surpassed Richmond as W&M's biggest rival for the under-30 alumni.

I think many Richmond fans would say the same thing. JMU is surpassing WM as the game we most want to win.

bluehenbillk
May 26th, 2011, 10:23 PM
UR is way too high in this poll. I don't buy any JMU hype - they don't have anyone offensively outside of Scott that scares opponents. I'll stick with my prediction from the winter that they finish in the back half of the CAA.

JMUNJ08
May 26th, 2011, 10:45 PM
UR is way too high in this poll. I don't buy any JMU hype - they don't have anyone offensively outside of Scott that scares opponents. I'll stick with my prediction from the winter that they finish in the back half of the CAA.

I believe we still do have a lot to show everyone after 11-11 the past 2 years. However, I could easily argue our D with the last 11 posters on this thread playing O could be better than 21-25 in that list...

JMUNJ08
May 26th, 2011, 10:50 PM
I think many Richmond fans would say the same thing. JMU is surpassing WM as the game we most want to win.

The fact that neither team won at home for I believe a 5 year stretch really made this more interesting. BTW, were any decided by more than a TD?!?!? JMU lost 2 homecoming games I believe and UR lost 2 as well (and cannot forget the PR TD with :01 left by Scotty...)

Both UR and W&M have had some great games with us in recent years and that has fueled the rivalry. Looking forward to another 2 great games this year!

coover
May 27th, 2011, 01:13 AM
I do not think that Cal Poly will be a top 10 team because of their very, very tough schedule, perhaps the toughest in the nation, and I do not even predict that they will make the playoffs as they may not have 7 Division I wins in the 10 Division I games they will play (including the two FBS games) this year, but I do predict they will finish somewhere in the top 20. If their Offensive Line returns and stays in good health next year, they will roll over most opponents and will scare badly those larger schools with larger, faster athletes, that expect to easily run and pass over them.

Don't overlook the Mustangs!

ur2k
May 27th, 2011, 09:19 AM

W&M and UR is a great rivalry with a lot of history but it comes with way too much mutual respect for a rivalry.

There's much more vitriol with the UR/JMU match-ups.

RichH2
May 27th, 2011, 10:01 AM
:DCAA must be starting to slide with Only 6 in the top 25.

JmuSkinsfan
May 27th, 2011, 12:12 PM
JMU should be top 15 to start ... #14 is reasonable, and I think Thorpe will be a stud this year at QB (which wouldn't really be a surprise). To the UD poster that said Scott is the only guy on offense to scare him, if Thorpe is 2/3 the player Landers was (and people say he's probably better), it makes the entire offense much better. I think Kerby Long will have a great year, and let's not forget about Hunter, the 4-star WR transfer from UVA, who should also be a legit deep threat, and our TEs are very solid, which is huge in this offense. Honesltly, nobody was a threat last year because we couldn't throw the damn ball. I can't remember a time when I've ever seen an offense as inept as ours was when it came to throwing the ball. It was absolutely baffling. Thorpe has quite the arm

I think Richmond is too high, but they always tend to be good regardless of who they lose, so #17 sounds about right for them. Not sure about UNH, or exactly who/what they return. I think Rhode Island could shock some people and could easily see them going 7-4 and fighting for a playoff spot. Here's how I think the CAA top 5 will be by year's end..

JMU, W&M, Villanova, UMass, Rhode Island (with JMU finishing first based on Thorpe living up to the expectations that he is the next Rodney Landers).

GannonFan
May 27th, 2011, 12:39 PM
JMU should be top 15 to start ... #14 is reasonable, and I think Thorpe will be a stud this year at QB (which wouldn't really be a surprise). To the UD poster that said Scott is the only guy on offense to scare him, if Thorpe is 2/3 the player Landers was (and people say he's probably better), it makes the entire offense much better. I think Kerby Long will have a great year, and let's not forget about Hunter, the 4-star WR transfer from UVA, who should also be a legit deep threat, and our TEs are very solid, which is huge in this offense. Honesltly, nobody was a threat last year because we couldn't throw the damn ball. I can't remember a time when I've ever seen an offense as inept as ours was when it came to throwing the ball. It was absolutely baffling. Thorpe has quite the arm

I think Richmond is too high, but they always tend to be good regardless of who they lose, so #17 sounds about right for them. Not sure about UNH, or exactly who/what they return. I think Rhode Island could shock some people and could easily see them going 7-4 and fighting for a playoff spot. Here's how I think the CAA top 5 will be by year's end..

JMU, W&M, Villanova, UMass, Rhode Island (with JMU finishing first based on Thorpe living up to the expectations that he is the next Rodney Landers).

Wow - the amount of Kool-aid you must have drunk prior to writing that post must have been astronomical.

JMU's got a good D, no one questions that, but the problems on offense are pretty deep. First of all, what makes you think Matthews even wants to throw the ball? Even in the best of times, when he had Rascati back there, JMU still ran the ball more than 70% of the time. It's what he wants to do. And therein lies the problem - JMU was able to run as well as they did because of the offensive line, the offensive line, and the offensive line. When JMU was good (think '04 and '08) it was because they could push other teams around. Not because someone was airing the ball out or because they had great RB's - but because they had massive holes to run through. I just don't see how JMU's offensive line is going to be that much better than last year's (Sherman graduated, correct?) and if they can't win the battle on the line of scrimmage they aren't going to be any more productive on offense than last year.

I think JMU's probably better than last year - but there are too many good teams in the CAA to think JMU's winning the conference this year. A playoff berth would be a good season.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 27th, 2011, 12:42 PM

I agree with all points here.

UNHFootballAlum
May 27th, 2011, 12:45 PM

Why is it that UNH never gets any respect. Every year people will overlook us as being a top tier program and every year we finish in the top ten

Tribe4SF
May 27th, 2011, 12:47 PM

Not that the CAA isn't always full of surprises, but putting Nova, and UMass ahead of UNH and UD looks like a stretch to me. UNH returns a solid core across the board, and will have Kevin Decker stepping in at QB. He's as good as Toman, and has plenty of experience. Their D should again be solid. Delaware is somewhat like JMU in that they will be as good as their QB play. Lost alot on D, but they had some depth, and got some transfers in the secondary. Can't see them as good as last year, but they should be right in the mix.

This just looks like a down year for Nova. They lost a ton, and QB is a major question for them along with their OL. They'll need a number of true freshmen to help, and that's never a good position to be in with the CAA.

GannonFan
May 27th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Why is it that UNH never gets any respect. Every year people will overlook us as being a top tier program and every year we finish in the top ten

Nonsense - I fully expect UNH to be a top 3 CAA team and to lose sometime in or before the quarterfinals. ;)

SpeedkingATL
May 27th, 2011, 01:51 PM
App is a real question mark this year with lots of losses to graduation, very young inexperienced offensive line and the loss of some of the teams recognized leaders in addition to a new 3-4 defense. They probably have more size and talent that ever but how quickly will they jell? SoCon should be much stronger and deeper than in past seasons so not sure where they will end up. I guess top 5 preseason is okay but if injury bug bites, especially at QB, RB, OL or WR that 3-4 better be good.

JmuSkinsfan
May 27th, 2011, 02:39 PM

Sorry UNH ... I actually always rep UNH ... and they're always there ... I totally forgot to include them in my top 5 because ... I actually totally forgot haha (that's how reputable I am). The problem with the CAA is it's really tough to pick a top 5 ... bceause any year most of the teams can make the top 5.

For the first time in about 5 years I do not have a solid grasp on the CAA, outside of JMU. Toman is out at UNH, Devlin out at UD ... and that must have been my justification for leaving those 2 out which isn't always a just reason. My apologies.

Tribal
May 27th, 2011, 04:48 PM
W&M and UR is a great rivalry with a lot of history but it comes with way too much mutual respect for a rivalry.

There's much more vitriol with the UR/JMU match-ups.

This is absolutely accurate. UR fans and W&M fans are probably the most considerate in the CAA. I can't remember a UR fan ever saying something rude. Plus, I love their "beep, beep, beep" chant when W&M is flagged. Frankly, I wish Tribe fans would get more riled up for games. JMU, ODU, and GSU fans are very similar (IMO) in that a few are inappropriate but most are simply zealots in the stands. I like that.

TheBisonator
June 1st, 2011, 11:00 AM
SOMEBODY'S MISSING:
Sporting News preseason top-25

1. EWU
2. W&M
3. App St
4. UNI
5. Montana St
6. Ga Sou
7. Delaware
8. Montana
9. UCA
10. Wofford
11. UNH
12. SIU
13. McNeese St
14. Murray St
15. WIU
16. Southern Utah
17. Richmond
18. SFA
19. JSU
20. Liberty
21. UTC
22. Lehigh
23. Bethune-Cookman
24. Penn
25. UC Davis

Awaited with baited breath thy slings and arrows...xdohx

Screamin_Eagle174
June 1st, 2011, 11:01 AM
SOMEBODY'S MISSING:

1. EWU
2. W&M
3. App St
4. UNI
5. Montana St
6. Ga Sou
7. Delaware
8. Montana
9. UCA
10. Wofford
11. UNH
12. SIU
13. McNeese St
14. Murray St
15. WIU
16. Southern Utah
17. Richmond
18. SFA
19. JSU
20. Liberty
21. UTC
22. Lehigh
23. Bethune-Cookman
24. Penn
25. UC Davis

Looks good to me. xcoffeex

ALPHAGRIZ1
June 1st, 2011, 11:54 AM
MSU in the top 5 is totally ridiculous.

The voters must have thought MSU and Montana are the same thing.

I would possibly have them in the top 10 but they wont be as good this year as they were last year. Plus they are not consistent.

Jacked_Rabbit
June 1st, 2011, 12:55 PM
Looks good to me. xcoffeex

Bisonator is right - this is a slap in the face for NDSU. On paper, the Bison have just as many weapons coming back as UNI, and they went far deeper into the postseason last year. If anything, those two teams should be nearly interchangable in the polls and ranked very closely together.

Also, the only other ranked MVFC team listed is Western Illinois. With the graduation of MVFC offensive player of the year Matt Barr and defensive player of the year Kyle Glazier, should not be ranked in the Top 15. Having only two MVFC teams in the preseason Top 25 isn't enough, and one of them is wrong... Unacceptable, Sporting News.

TheBisonator
June 1st, 2011, 02:22 PM
Bisonator is right - this is a slap in the face for NDSU. On paper, the Bison have just as many weapons coming back as UNI, and they went far deeper into the postseason last year. If anything, those two teams should be nearly interchangable in the polls and ranked very closely together.

Also, the only other ranked MVFC team listed is Western Illinois. With the graduation of MVFC offensive player of the year Matt Barr and defensive player of the year Kyle Glazier, should not be ranked in the Top 15. Having only two MVFC teams in the preseason Top 25 isn't enough, and one of them is wrong... Unacceptable, Sporting News.

It's not a true "poll" - I bet it was cobbled together by some intern using whatever knowledge they had on the spot. And while trying to name off some of the best FCS teams from last year, inevitably just forgot to include NDSU.

It's like if you try to write down all the teams in a major sports league just by random. When you're finished, more often than not there will be a team you forgot to write down. That's probably what happened.

ALPHAGRIZ1
June 1st, 2011, 02:43 PM
NDSU is returning quite a bit of the team that rolled Montana State in the playoffs and pretty much beat EWU but got hosed by the refs a minimum of 7 times.

Not having them in the top 10 is pretty dumb.........more dumb than having EWU as #1.

TheBisonator
June 1st, 2011, 02:46 PM
NDSU is returning quite a bit of the team that rolled Montana State in the playoffs and pretty much beat EWU but got hosed by the refs a minimum of 7 times.

Not having them in the top 10 is pretty dumb.........more dumb than having EWU as #1.

You'll never hear me blaming the refs for the EWU loss. Defense folded like a WSOP newbie during that final 2-minute drive.

Walkon79
June 1st, 2011, 02:51 PM

Not as dUMb as having Montana in the top 10!

Jacked_Rabbit
June 1st, 2011, 02:58 PM
If writing for a magazine/newspaper if your full time job, it seems to me that you'd want to put a good amount of effort and research into something like this before releasing it to the public... Somebody over there needs to get a clue or come up with an explaination as to why they came to that ultimate decision (assuming it wasn't simply an oversight on their part).

TheBisonator
June 1st, 2011, 03:04 PM
If writing for a magazine/newspaper if your full time job, it seems to me that you'd want to put a good amount of effort and research into something like this before releasing it to the public... Somebody over there needs to get a clue or come up with an explaination as to why they came to that ultimate decision (assuming it wasn't simply an oversight on their part).

When I first saw it yesterday, I was WTF flabergasted, but now I think it was oversight.

jmufan999
June 1st, 2011, 03:42 PM
a new 3-4 defense.

do you have a good/great nose tackle that can command a double team? what about an OLB that can rush the passer? if you have both of those, you can create MAJOR problems, especially on the FCS level where it seems more rare. obviously that's not all that's needed but those are the two most important positions. i THINK (may be wrong) that Nova is the only CAA team with a 3 man front. it's a great idea though.

THE HERD
June 1st, 2011, 04:39 PM
Damn! We just had a griz fan and a Jackrabbit fan come to our defense! Theres something ya don't see everyday......thanks alphagriz and jacked_rabbit. By the way all these preseason polls are a bunch of bullsh$$ anyway. Wait till a few games are played at least and then start a poll.

Professor Chaos
June 1st, 2011, 04:41 PM
When I first saw it yesterday, I was WTF flabergasted, but now I think it was oversight.
I also haven't seen an actual link posted anywhere for this poll yet either. The only place I've seen it is on here and Bisonville and neither place has posted a link for it. If you go to the actual Sporting News website (http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/polls) and look at the polls they still have the final poll from last year up. Could be that I just can't find it but don't think this is a legitimate national poll from the Sporting News. It could be a random voter for it that forgot NDSU who posted his ballot online somewhere or something like that because NDSU's exclusion is one of many headscratchers and there's no ARV section or number of 1st place votes denoted. I may be wrong and maybe it's only in the magazine but it's pretty fishy if you ask me.

PaladinFan
June 1st, 2011, 04:58 PM

Don't worry! Furman and the power I will hopefully make more than a cameo in 2011.

PaladinFan
June 1st, 2011, 05:01 PM

There's really nobody that puts out a quality FCS update, particularly this early in the season.

Most haven't watched the teams play.

ALPHAGRIZ1
June 1st, 2011, 05:21 PM
Damn! We just had a griz fan and a Jackrabbit fan come to our defense! Theres something ya don't see everyday......thanks alphagriz and jacked_rabbit. By the way all these preseason polls are a bunch of bullsh$$ anyway. Wait till a few games are played at least and then start a poll.

Not only did I come to your defense (not that you guys needed it) but I am also coming to your game against the Gophers this year...................awwwwwwyeeeaaaaaaaa!

Grizzaholic
June 1st, 2011, 05:58 PM

What you don't understand is Alpha is just fishing.

Jacked_Rabbit
June 1st, 2011, 06:21 PM

Since we made the transition to D1 together, I feel that I have to back the Bison once per season... And I really wanted to get it out of the way.

Now, back to business as usual! xlolx

Cleets
June 1st, 2011, 06:30 PM
I posted on CS yesterday I saw the top 5 on Twitter

1- GSU
2- W&M
3- EWU
5- App

Wow... just wow
When was the last time the defending National Champion with it's winning QB returning come out the pre-season poll ranked 3rd...?

Unbelievable

xsmhx

Blueandwhitefightfight
June 1st, 2011, 07:50 PM
GSU is the team that consistently has our kryptonite. Their the only team that can beat us every so often as of late. I love the rivalry and have a lot of respect for their program...even if they are a bunch of drunk rednecks from a smelly town xwhistlex

Most of us (about 70%) are from Atlanta. Drunk? Most likely. Rednecks? You run into a few but the vast majority arent. Smelly town? Atlanta smells bad so yea.

GaSouthern
June 2nd, 2011, 08:26 AM
App fans, I know you hate us but I don't understand the smelly town thing, is there a papermill on 301 south coming into the boro?

The town literally smells like fresh cut pine trees (I guess from construction?) it smells amazingly good... if you want to smell a bad smelling town come to Port Wentworth GA and get a wiff of the plant down here it can be bad at times.

Eaglesrus
June 2nd, 2011, 09:29 AM
App fans, I know you hate us but I don't understand the smelly town thing, is there a papermill on 301 south coming into the boro?

The town literally smells like fresh cut pine trees (I guess from construction?) it smells amazingly good... if you want to smell a bad smelling town come to Port Wentworth GA and get a wiff of the plant down here it can be bad at times.

I've wondered about this, too. Only thing I could think of is that it's a reference to the smell from the fertilized fields when approaching Statesboro, otherwise I've got no clue.

Apphole
June 2nd, 2011, 09:43 AM
I think it has to do with that disgusting, caustic sludge running through your campus. Eagle creek is it?

Of course there are other reasons....
http://www.appfan.com/2011/06/02/stink-penalized-for-stinking-again/

blueballs
June 2nd, 2011, 10:36 AM
I think it has to do with that disgusting, caustic sludge running through your campus. Eagle creek is it?

Of course there are other reasons....
http://www.appfan.com/2011/06/02/stink-penalized-for-stinking-again/

Yup, paying the price for the Sewak, Van Dickhead, and hatcher regimes. The GSU football program had a collective 2.5-something GPA for the current academic year that ended a couple of weeks ago so it would appear that the new regime of Keel and Monken have it figured out.

StorminASU
June 2nd, 2011, 03:06 PM
Most of us (about 70%) are from Atlanta. Drunk? Most likely. Rednecks? You run into a few but the vast majority arent. Smelly town? Atlanta smells bad so yea.

I don't know how I could have made it any more obvious that was tongue in cheek. We all aren't rednecks either, that's why I realize GSU fans are kidding on here when they say it.

blueballs
June 2nd, 2011, 03:21 PM
I don't know how I could have made it any more obvious that was tongue in cheek. We all aren't rednecks either, that's why I realize GSU fans are kidding on here when they say it.

That's what makes rivalries fun- picking on the rival.

bojeta
June 2nd, 2011, 07:14 PM
SOMEBODY'S MISSING:

1. EWU
2. W&M
3. App St
4. UNI
5. Montana St
6. Ga Sou
7. Delaware
8. Montana
9. UCA
10. Wofford
11. UNH
12. SIU
13. McNeese St
14. Murray St
15. WIU
16. Southern Utah
17. Richmond
18. SFA
19. JSU
20. Liberty
21. UTC
22. Lehigh
23. Bethune-Cookman
24. Penn
25. UC Davis

Well, obviously... Cal Poly, but that's absolutely fine with me. I'd rather be off the radar and then come storming on, rather than fall off it like some of these teams quickly will. However, unless CP pulls off a win against one or both of the FBS teams and beats Montana, they won't come storming on until the 7th week. This is due to the 2 FBS games, Montana, and a DII team followed by a bye in week 6. From there on out, it's Great West Conf and two more OOC FCS teams (E. WA, and S. Alabama). Winning Conf and beating two premiere FCS to finish the season, along with a presumed (not easy) win over S. Dakota State, they would finish with at least 7 D1 wins, be Conf. Champs and, I believe, a top 15 ranking min. Beat either of the FBS teams and/or Montana and it's a top 10 regular season finish. So... like I and other CP fans have stated before, it's gonna be tough this year. Lots of dominoes have to fall just right, but it can be done.

gasoutherneagle
June 2nd, 2011, 08:46 PM

Dear Lord, I hope this guy is a fan and not an alumnus. You call us a bunch of drunk rednecks? Your use of "THEIR" is sorely lacking. Perhaps "THEY ARE" or "THEY'RE" would be a better choice for a "college" graduate, aye?

clenz
June 2nd, 2011, 08:59 PM
Wow. In 2009, ISU was plumbing the depths of I-AA with teams like Georgetown, Northwestern State and Idaho St. Now, the Sycamores are top 25 challengers--a largely underreported story.They aren't.

They were under .500 against D1 teams last season, and didn't beat a D1 school that finished over .500

StorminASU
June 2nd, 2011, 10:15 PM
Dear Lord, I hope this guy is a fan and not an alumnus. You call us a bunch of drunk rednecks? Your use of "THEIR" is sorely lacking. Perhaps "THEY ARE" or "THEY'RE" would be a better choice for a "college" graduate, aye?

Alright grammar police, I'll make sure you type everything correctly on a message board from now on too. As I said earlier, that comment was totally tongue in cheek and not meant to be taken seriously. GSU and App fans go back and forth calling each other rednecks, drunks....It's a joke. Get a sense of humor and lose the grammar book.

gasoutherneagle
June 3rd, 2011, 06:55 PM
Whaaaaaaaaaaaat!?! Come on... Sense of humor!?! Quite frankly, I think it takes away from the joke if: your description of a dumb, drunk, redneck is marred by an elementary spelling/punctuation mistake. Stoopid is as stoopid duz, rite?

FormerPokeCenter
June 6th, 2011, 05:38 PM
McNeese has no business in the top 15 at this point in the process. We were third in our own conference, yet we're ranked ahead of the team who won it ?????. Somebody's just throwing out a list of
"traditional powers" and not really doing much research....

SOMEBODY'S MISSING:

1. EWU
2. W&M
3. App St
4. UNI
5. Montana St
6. Ga Sou
7. Delaware
8. Montana
9. UCA
10. Wofford