PDA

View Full Version : Does your team have trouble scheduling non-conference opponents?

Boo Boo
May 24th, 2011, 05:54 AM
I've noticed that this is something a lot of FCS level folks complain about- it is difficult to scedule quality FCS competition out of conference. Factors such as travel costs weigh heavily into this. It is usually not that difficult to find "money" games with big FBS opponents- they all see FCS teams as easy wins and want us as a "tuneup". But FCS teams often have to resort to scheduling teams they really don't want on their schedule- even D-2 and NAIA opponents at times. Is there any remedy to this?

TexasTerror
May 24th, 2011, 06:20 AM
It has become more and more difficult to schedule out of conference games, particularly since the rules pertaining to FBS schools being able to schedule one FCS foe a year. With the change in the economy, there is a growing amount of institutions are scheduling multiple guarantee games with one school - Nicholls - scheduling three last year.

Continued changes with conference realignment are also playing their toll on scheduling and any future waves will also make their mark.

drpnut
May 24th, 2011, 06:56 AM
At Wofford it is extremely difficult to schedule OOc opponents. With the exception of the occasional game with the in state big boys: USC and Clemson, the 1-A schools don't want to play us because of the T-O offense. It has also been tough to schedule opponents form other premier 1-AA conferences like CAA, etc. From our end it might be budgertarty constaints. I'm not sure. This year we have Presbyterian, Clemson and Virginia-Wise. Not gonna be too attractive to playoff committee..

93henfan
May 24th, 2011, 07:10 AM
UD is one of the FCS schools fortunate enough to have scheduled numerous OOC FCS opponents over the years. In the past ten years, we've hosted the following teams in the regular season:

Georgia Southern
South Dakota State
The Citadel
Albany
Lehigh
Holy Cross
Duquesne
Delaware State
Monmouth

89Hen
May 24th, 2011, 07:29 AM
I've noticed that this is something a lot of FCS level folks complain about- it is difficult to scedule quality FCS competition out of conference. Factors such as travel costs weigh heavily into this. It is usually not that difficult to find "money" games with big FBS opponents- they all see FCS teams as easy wins and want us as a "tuneup". But FCS teams often have to resort to scheduling teams they really don't want on their schedule- even D-2 and NAIA opponents at times. Is there any remedy to this?
Would be helpful if we knew who your team was. Teams in the east should have no problem keeping a DI OOC schedule with the amount of teams available. Some teams can call their shots, others might have to do more road games if they want to keep it all DI. Home and homes can be tough because it's seems teams aren't afraid of backing out on the back half if they get a better offer. This is often referred to as being Furmaned.

93henfan
May 24th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Home and homes can be tough because it's seems teams aren't afraid of backing out on the back half if they get a better offer. This is often referred to as being Furmaned.

Yep. I'm not sure how many non-SoCon FCS teams have hosted two SoCon regular season opponents in the past ten years, and it would have been three if we hadn't gotten the middle finger from the purple knights after they cashed the check for their game.

TTUEagles
May 24th, 2011, 08:17 AM
From what I'm told, that's the biggest difficulty in the scheduling process for TTU. "They" say the ideal schedule is: 8 conf. games, 1 FBS game, 1 sub D-I game and 1 FCS game. I haven't seen it happen in a while...

Smitty
May 24th, 2011, 08:21 AM
I think the SoCon is looking towards just scheduling SEC and schools that are close.

darell1976
May 24th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Its also very difficult when you only have 5 conference members. You have to try to get 7 OOC games, and usually 1 or 2 FBS games comes from that. We have 3 D2/NAIA schools on our schedule this season and 2 FBS teams. Its a horrible schedule thats why us Sioux fans are so excited for next year when we join the Big Sky and only need to schedule 3 OOC games and 1 of those games are for an FBS team. So scheduling 2 is a lot easier than 5 or 6.

Boo Boo
May 24th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I am a Wofford guy myself...and we have always had this problem! As drpnut said, I think it's budgetary for us as to why we don't schedule home and home with other FCS school OOC- that and the fact that, quite honestly, a lot of bigger FCS programs don't want to travel to Wofford as part of a home and home. PC is an old rival and will be good gate, but they are a bad team and will not help us in playoff standing. Virginia-Wise: all I can say to that is what the hell?! Surely we could've found a better game than that! I wanted to see if other programs were having issues as well.

GannonFan
May 24th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Yep. I'm not sure how many non-SoCon FCS teams have hosted two SoCon regular season opponents in the past ten years, and it would have been three if we hadn't gotten the middle finger from the purple knights after they cashed the check for their game.

Yup, it's good to be UD. Really no problem filling the schedule year after year. Heck, most of the time we just pay people to play in Newark - not even a need to schedule away FCS games. It's good to be the Hens. xthumbsupx

DFW HOYA
May 24th, 2011, 09:12 AM
The Ivy and the HBCU's have the easier time with scheduling because they have a ready pool of interested opponents. The Pioneer has the toughest without question, because there are usually not enough regional schools that want to play them and they have to dip into the lower division ranks to fill the schedule.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 24th, 2011, 09:25 AM
The Ivy and the HBCU's have the easier time with scheduling because they have a ready pool of interested opponents. The Pioneer has the toughest without question, because there are usually not enough regional schools that want to play them and they have to dip into the lower division ranks to fill the schedule.

That's true to some extent, but I think HBCU's in recent years as a group have had a tougher time scheduling than you might think. Grambling State, Southern, FAMU, and B-CU will never have a problem scheduling opponents, thanks to location and history, but trips to rural Mississippi or Dover are another matter entirely.

And some HBCU's don't seem to be interested in scheduling other FCS schools at all. Case in point: Alcorn State. They have a ten game schedule, and if the posts on this message board are to be believed, they've refused a potential home game with Tennessee Tech which would give them both eleven games. I guess if Alcorn State is unwilling to schedule TTU its only TTU which is having the "trouble" scheduling the OOC opponent, not Alcorn, but it does beg the question: why won't Alcorn fill out their schedule with a "fellow" FCS opponent, which might even make the athletic department some money?

Stuff like this makes me wonder if the SWAC considers itself a part of FCS at all.

BEAR
May 24th, 2011, 09:45 AM
The Bears usually don't have a problem scheduling nonconference games because Arkansas is filled with D2s that are ready to play. xnodx

WestCoastAggie
May 24th, 2011, 09:46 AM
A&T & Murray State are still looking for an 11th game. Sigh...

DFW HOYA
May 24th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I guess if Alcorn State is unwilling to schedule TTU its only TTU which is having the "trouble" scheduling the OOC opponent, not Alcorn, but it does beg the question: why won't Alcorn fill out their schedule with a "fellow" FCS opponent, which might even make the athletic department some money?

Alcorn State has some major financial issues--its entire athletic budget is just $5.3 million and if the TTU game involves a guarantee, it may not be feasible for Alcorn to offer it. Alcorn is already talking about moving its annual game with Jackson State out of 60,000 seat Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium to play on campus instead.

JSU02
May 24th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Jax State is having a harder and harder time doing so. Of the 4 FCS schools within 100 miles of Jacksonville, Samford has refused to play us since leaving the OVC, Alabama A&M doesn't like playing us, and Chattanooga/Georgia State don't want to renew the contracts that expire after the games this fall. :(

Lehigh Football Nation
May 24th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Alcorn State has some major financial issues--its entire athletic budget is just $5.3 million and if the TTU game involves a guarantee, it may not be feasible for Alcorn to offer it. Alcorn is already talking about moving its annual game with Jackson State out of 60,000 seat Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium to play on campus instead.

My understanding - and admittedly, it's at best third hand - is that TTU agreed to play at Alcorn in a one-shot deal. I'm guessing it was without a guarantee (due to their situation), and they still said no.

citdog
May 24th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Yup, it's good to be UD. Really no problem filling the schedule year after year. Heck, most of the time we just pay people to play in Newark - not even a need to schedule away FCS games. It's good to be the Hens. xthumbsupx

The last trip to Charleston was quite a bust for the hens. After that 15 play drive for the winning score by the 'Dogs the Southern Heat really took its toll on the border State and yankee scum. Haven't been that many men in blue tops on the ground and gasping for air around here since the 54th mass got slaughtered at Battery Wagner out on Morris Island.

JSUBison
May 24th, 2011, 10:29 AM
That's true to some extent, but I think HBCU's in recent years as a group have had a tougher time scheduling than you might think. Grambling State, Southern, FAMU, and B-CU will never have a problem scheduling opponents, thanks to location and history, but trips to rural Mississippi or Dover are another matter entirely.

And some HBCU's don't seem to be interested in scheduling other FCS schools at all. Case in point: Alcorn State. They have a ten game schedule, and if the posts on this message board are to be believed, they've refused a potential home game with Tennessee Tech which would give them both eleven games. I guess if Alcorn State is unwilling to schedule TTU its only TTU which is having the "trouble" scheduling the OOC opponent, not Alcorn, but it does beg the question: why won't Alcorn fill out their schedule with a "fellow" FCS opponent, which might even make the athletic department some money?

Stuff like this makes me wonder if the SWAC considers itself a part of FCS at all.

Back when NDSU was transitioning, Mississippi Valley State stepped up and signed a home/home with the Bison. I might be wrong, but I seem to think that NDSU paid MVSU to come to Fargo, and also paid their own way to the game in Mississippi as well.

SDSU also played a game against Southern a few years ago as well.

The Alcorn AD needs to give NDSU a call: reference scheduling money games for the future. I think NDSU could help out with their budget. xnodx

aceinthehole
May 24th, 2011, 10:53 AM
CCSU has an extremley difficult time getting HOME non-conference games.

We can get a road date ($$$) with just about anyone (except FBS teams), but getting any FCS team to make the trip to New Britain seems nearly impossible.

LeadBolt
May 24th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Not so much in scheduling, more in keeping them from backing out....

crusader11
May 24th, 2011, 11:12 AM
UD is one of the FCS schools fortunate enough to have scheduled numerous OOC FCS opponents over the years. In the past ten years, we've hosted the following teams in the regular season:

Holy Cross

That was a fabulous game. Thought we had you guys that night.

Boo Boo
May 24th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Jax State is having a harder and harder time doing so. Of the 4 FCS schools within 100 miles of Jacksonville, Samford has refused to play us since leaving the OVC, Alabama A&M doesn't like playing us, and Chattanooga/Georgia State don't want to renew the contracts that expire after the games this fall. :(

Wofford-JSU would make a good OOC home-and-home matchup IMO...the travel distance is not that bad and I think the games would be very good ones, like the recent playoff game between the two.

Professor Chaos
May 24th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Once the (Really) Big Sky get it's new members I think they're going to have an even tougher time since basically every full scholly FCS school in the Rockies and west will be in the same conference. I'd almost wonder, with the unbalanced schedule they'll have to play, if we won't see some Big Sky teams playing other Big Sky teams that aren't scheduled in conference play throughout the year in intra-conference games that won't count towards the conference standings.

TTUEagles
May 24th, 2011, 11:34 AM
A&T & Murray State are still looking for an 11th game. Sigh...

Murray St. has 11 don't they: Louisville, MVSU & GA St + 8 OVC games ?

bostonspider
May 24th, 2011, 11:34 AM
The Spiders do not seem to have a problem with either local / regional FBS teams (UVA, Duke, NC State, Vandy) or with either semi-local or at least East Coast FCS teams (VMI, Elon, Georgetown, Coastal...) This year is @Duke and home versus VMI and Wagner. 2012 is @UVA, home versus Gardner-Webb and @VMI. 2013 is @ N.C. State, @Gardner-Webb, and home versus VMI and Liberty. I think we are @UVA and @Liberty in 2014 and will have two home games as well. And finally UR is set with @Vanderbilt in 2015.

JSU02
May 24th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Wofford-JSU would make a good OOC home-and-home matchup IMO...the travel distance is not that bad and I think the games would be very good ones, like the recent playoff game between the two.

We already scheduled a home and home with furman for a few years from now. I wouldn't be suprised to see another one with Wofford

darell1976
May 24th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Once the (Really) Big Sky get it's new members I think they're going to have an even tougher time since basically every full scholly FCS school in the Rockies and west will be in the same conference. I'd almost wonder, with the unbalanced schedule they'll have to play, if we won't see some Big Sky teams playing other Big Sky teams that aren't scheduled in conference play throughout the year in intra-conference games that won't count towards the conference standings.

I can see playing other BSC members in OOC games. Although UND is in pretty good shape with NDSU, SDSU and USD just 300 miles away.

professor8315
May 24th, 2011, 03:12 PM
You fans in the SoCon always crictize the MEAC for lack of strength of schedule. Look at the flagship of your conference scheduling back to back games with North Carolina A&T and Savannah State. Not only these two teams are the weakest in the conference but they are also one of the weakesst in all FCS. This one of the reason South Carolina State find it difficult to schedule OOC games against playoff quality teams they are too anxious to schedule us. The game between Ga State will be the first quality OOC FCS opponent in several years to come to Orangeburg.

DFW HOYA
May 24th, 2011, 03:42 PM
The Spiders do not seem to have a problem with either local / regional FBS teams (UVA, Duke, NC State, Vandy) or with either semi-local or at least East Coast FCS teams (VMI, Elon, Georgetown, Coastal...) This year is @Duke and home versus VMI and Wagner. 2012 is @UVA, home versus Gardner-Webb and @VMI. 2013 is @ N.C. State, @Gardner-Webb, and home versus VMI and Liberty. I think we are @UVA and @Liberty in 2014 and will have two home games as well. And finally UR is set with @Vanderbilt in 2015.

I would have liked UR to have completed the last two years of the contract it dropped with Georgetown--it would have been good for both teams.

bostonspider
May 24th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I think the complete lack of competitiveness, as well as the unfortunately substandard Georgetown Facilities doomed what I wish could develop into a nice local rivalry.

DFW HOYA
May 24th, 2011, 04:10 PM
I think the complete lack of competitiveness, as well as the unfortunately substandard Georgetown Facilities doomed what I wish could develop into a nice local rivalry.

Which one really drove that decision? Methinks UR wanted nothing to do with the MSF. Or ODU. Or Howard...

(2,075 days and counting since construction was "temporarily" suspended. Those green wood bleachers aren't getting any younger...)

http://www.hoyafootball.com/images/stadia/msf.jpg

89Hen
May 24th, 2011, 04:28 PM
As drpnut said, I think it's budgetary for us as to why we don't schedule home and home with other FCS school OOC- that and the fact that, quite honestly, a lot of bigger FCS programs don't want to travel to Wofford as part of a home and home. PC is an old rival and will be good gate, but they are a bad team and will not help us in playoff standing.
First, PC won't hurt you one bit come selection day. They count as a DI win and if a SoCon team gets to 8-3 DI, you're in, they won't even look at who you play OOC. As for not getting the "big FCS"... who cares? Coastal has gotten games with Richmond, JMU and Towson from the CAA, I don't see why WC can't.

daneboy
May 24th, 2011, 06:43 PM

Try scheduling for the Great West. I bet there are 5 AD's that are breathing a lot easier now that all of these teams have joined real leagues. I do not remember Cal Poly ever playing in a league with an abundance of teams so Poly has always had to scratch for home games. And, the number of Calif. schools that I have seen play that have dropped football is huge: UCSB, Santa Clara, St. Mary's, Cal State L.A., Northridge, Fullerton, Pacific, Cal State Hayward, Cal State Sonoma, UC Riverside, San Francisco are the ones I remember. Thank heaven for the Big Sky!!!!xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmiley clapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

bluehenbillk
May 24th, 2011, 07:17 PM

Well, ever since UD was Furmaned it's been a strict policy to play all FCS OOC games in Newark....

NuJerzBullDog
May 24th, 2011, 08:29 PM
we at sc state do often have trouble scheduling OOC games

slostang
May 24th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Try scheduling for the Great West. I bet there are 5 AD's that are breathing a lot easier now that all of these teams have joined real leagues. I do not remember Cal Poly ever playing in a league with an abundance of teams so Poly has always had to scratch for home games. And, the number of Calif. schools that I have seen play that have dropped football is huge: UCSB, Santa Clara, St. Mary's, Cal State L.A., Northridge, Fullerton, Pacific, Cal State Hayward, Cal State Sonoma, UC Riverside, San Francisco are the ones I remember. Thank heaven for the Big Sky!!!!xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmiley clapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

Amen.

ngineer
May 24th, 2011, 10:40 PM
It's a shame because it may be the end of and excellent series with Lehigh. LU has even offered to come to Newark twice for every one to Bethlehem, but UD won't agree. There were some great games and crowds at old Taylor Stadium and more recently at Goodman (last visit by the Hens was in the late '90's, I think).xsmhx

bisonnation
May 25th, 2011, 12:52 AM
We do ok at NDSU. Teams have a habit of booking a home and home with us but after playing their home game, they back out on the trip to North Dakota. Georgia Southern did it to us this year. We beat them at home and when it came time to playing at NDSU they bought out the game and booked a home game with Prezbyrterian. We had to scramble to put replace the game.

But overall we've done ok in non conference. We have future games with Montana and Montana State. We have played Sam Houston, Stephen F Austin, Weber State, Northern Colorado, Austin Pray, Mississippi Valley State, Central Connecticut State, Nicholis, Morgan State, Wagner, South Dakota...

We haven't played a D2 game in 7 years. I don't think well ever do it again. Most fans want to see a marchup with a team like Appalachian, Nova, or some top tier teams.

Twentysix
May 25th, 2011, 04:56 AM
We do ok at NDSU. Teams have a habit of booking a home and home with us but after playing their home game, they back out on the trip to North Dakota. Georgia Southern did it to us this year. We beat them at home and when it came time to playing at NDSU they bought out the game and booked a home game with Prezbyrterian. We had to scramble to put replace the game.

But overall we've done ok in non conference. We have future games with Montana and Montana State. We have played Sam Houston, Stephen F Austin, Weber State, Northern Colorado, Austin Pray, Mississippi Valley State, Central Connecticut State, Nicholis, Morgan State, Wagner, South Dakota...

We haven't played a D2 game in 7 years. I don't think well ever do it again. Most fans want to see a marchup with a team like Appalachian, Nova, or some top tier teams.

If FCS teams will fly to north dakota and not your school. You're just not trying hard enough. we usually have a team from 1000-1500 miles away every year...... no excuses. (Except the great west, they had an excuse, about 5 of them. 1 FBS 1 1000+ mile team 5 excuses :D)

15-16

Sat, Sep 05 Montana at Missoula, Mont. TBA

14-15

Sat, Aug 30 Iowa State at Ames, Iowa TBA

Sat, Sep 06 Montana Fargo, N.D. TBA

Sat, Nov 22 South Dakota Fargo, N.D. TBA (Will be in conference by then)

13-14

Sat, Sep 07 Montana State Fargo, N.D. TBA

Sat, Oct 12 South Dakota at Vermillion, S.D. TBA(Will be a conference mate by then)

Kansas St is also scheduled. (source: http://www.fbschedules.com/2011/05/kansas-state-north-dakota-state-2013-football-schedule/ )

12-13

Sat, Sep 08 Colorado State at Fort Collins, Colo. TBA

11-12

Sat, Sep 03 Lafayette Fargo, N.D. 6 p.m.

Sat, Sep 10 Saint Francis (Pa.) Fargo, N.D. 6 p.m. (one of these 2 should be georgia southern, they wimped out :( )

Sat, Sep 24 Minnesota at Minneapolis, Minn. 6 p.m.
Big Ten Network

10-11

Sat, Sep 04 Kansas - - at Lawrence, Kan. 6 - 3 (W)
STATS QUOTES FCS Central

Sat, Sep 18 Morgan State 23 - Fargo, N.D. 35 - 9 (W)
STATS QUOTES

Sat, Sep 25 South Dakota 18 20 Fargo, N.D. 38 - 16 (W)

09-10

Thu, Sep 03 Iowa State - at Ames, Iowa 17 - 34 (L)
STATS
Sat, Sep 12 Sam Houston State - at Huntsville, Texas 45 - 48 (L)
STATS
Sat, Sep 19 Wagner College (Trees Bowl) - Fargo, N.D. 59 - 28 (W)
STATS QUOTES

08-09

Thu, Aug 28 Austin Peay 2 - Fargo, N.D. 41 - 6 (W)
STATS QUOTES
Sat, Sep 06 Central Connecticut State 1 - Fargo, N.D. 50 - 14 (W)
STATS QUOTES
Sat, Sep 13 Wyoming 1 - at Laramie, Wyo. 13 - 16 (L)
STATS

07-08 Yes thats 7 DI OOC games. 7-0 might I add and 2-0 v FBS

Sat, Sep 08 Stephen F. Austin 4 - Fargo, N.D. 28 - 19 (W)
STATS QUOTES FSN North

Sat, Sep 15 Sam Houston State 4 14 Fargo, N.D. 41 - 38 (W)
STATS QUOTES North Dakota NBC Network

Sat, Sep 22 Central Michigan 4 - at Mount Pleasant, Mich. 44 - 14 (W)
STATS QUOTES

Sat, Sep 29 Western Illinois 3 17 at Macomb, Ill. 41 - 28 (W)
STATS

Sat, Oct 13 Mississippi Valley State 1 - at Itta Bena, Miss. 58 - 7 (W)
STATS

Sat, Oct 20 Minnesota 1 - at Minneapolis, Minn. 27 - 21 (W)
STATS QUOTES

06-07 6 DI OOC games and our last D2 game.(Just for darrel, this is our final year of transition, should be comparible to UND's schedule this year.)
Thu, Aug 31 Concordia-St. Paul 19 - Fargo, N.D. 66 - 7 (W)
STATS QUOTES

Sat, Sep 16 Northeastern (Trees Bowl) 17 - Fargo, N.D. 23 - 10 (W)
STATS North Dakota ABC Network

Sat, Sep 23 Ball State 14 - at Muncie, Ind. 29 - 24 (W)
STATS
Sat, Sep 30 Stephen F. Austin 11 - at Nacogdoches, Texas 17 - 9 (W)
STATS
Sat, Oct 07 Georgia Southern 11 21 at Statesboro, Ga. 34 - 14 (W)
STATS
Sat, Oct 14 Mississippi Valley State (Homecoming) 9 - Fargo, N.D. 45 - 0 (W)
STATS
Sat, Oct 21 Minnesota 9 - at Minneapolis, Minn. 9 - 10 (L)
STATS FSN North/ESPN Plus

Source: Gobison.com/schedule

yorkcountyUNHfan
May 25th, 2011, 08:04 AM
This issue is one of the reasons many at UNH want to hang in with the CAA for as long as possible.

As it stands now UNH has 8 CAA games, 1 "pay game" with FBS, and two OCC games.
If UNH needed to work 3 or 4 OCC games we'd be on the road......alot

Right now we have some great home and home's lined up
Lehigh 2010 and 2011
Holy Cross 2011 and 2012
Colgate 2013 and 2015
Dartmouth 2014 and 2016
URI (after they leave the CAA) 2013 and 2014

darell1976
May 25th, 2011, 08:17 AM
06-07 6 DI OOC games and our last D2 game.(Just for darrel, this is our final year of transition, should be comparible to UND's schedule this year.)
Thu, Aug 31 Concordia-St. Paul 19 - Fargo, N.D. 66 - 7 (W)
STATS QUOTES

Sat, Sep 16 Northeastern (Trees Bowl) 17 - Fargo, N.D. 23 - 10 (W)
STATS North Dakota ABC Network

Sat, Sep 23 Ball State 14 - at Muncie, Ind. 29 - 24 (W)
STATS
Sat, Sep 30 Stephen F. Austin 11 - at Nacogdoches, Texas 17 - 9 (W)
STATS
Sat, Oct 07 Georgia Southern 11 21 at Statesboro, Ga. 34 - 14 (W)
STATS
Sat, Oct 14 Mississippi Valley State (Homecoming) 9 - Fargo, N.D. 45 - 0 (W)
STATS
Sat, Oct 21 Minnesota 9 - at Minneapolis, Minn. 9 - 10 (L)
STATS FSN North/ESPN Plus

Source: Gobison.com/schedule

UND has 3 D2/NAIA teams, 2 FBS games and 2 OOC games so its not comparable, but when you are in transition...who cares what your schedule looks like.

89Hen
May 25th, 2011, 08:47 AM
It's a shame because it may be the end of and excellent series with Lehigh. LU has even offered to come to Newark twice for every one to Bethlehem, but UD won't agree. There were some great games and crowds at old Taylor Stadium and more recently at Goodman (last visit by the Hens was in the late '90's, I think).xsmhx

That wasn't the whole story.

grayghost06
May 25th, 2011, 08:55 AM

Curious, what is the story as you know it?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 25th, 2011, 09:13 AM

Wait for it... Lehigh asked for K.C. Keeler's first male grandchild? xlolx I can't wait for this explanation.

LUHawker
May 25th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Wait for it... Lehigh asked for K.C. Keeler's first male grandchild? xlolx I can't wait for this explanation.

Yes, I can't wait for this explanation either. This is not old history as perhaps 89Hen is thinking. If it is, then he'll probably roll out the old argument that LU doesn't want to play early in the season because the PL doesn't redshift, blah, blah, blah. Lehigh's efforts are recent ones and we've played Nova early.

Maybe I am wrong, but looking forward to hearing this one.

chattownmocs
May 25th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Not to this point. In fact we have made alot of money playing the big boys. I like the jacksonville st series at well.

89Hen
May 25th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Yes, I can't wait for this explanation either. This is not old history as perhaps 89Hen is thinking. If it is, then he'll probably roll out the old argument that LU doesn't want to play early in the season because the PL doesn't redshift, blah, blah, blah. Lehigh's efforts are recent ones and we've played Nova early.

Maybe I am wrong, but looking forward to hearing this one.
No you're right. I have seen no stories on new efforts. Do you have something that's not from the Morning Call?

bjtheflamesfan
May 25th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Liberty has had its share of troubles since Coach Rocco came to town. I know we played W&M his first two years but nothing since the epic double overtime game in 2007 in Williamsburg. I think there was the makings of a nice in state rivalry developing there after the two close games in 06 and 07. Liberty certainly wants to play anybody but the problem is getting teams to come to Lynchburg. Im glad for the JMU series (looking forward to the game in Lynchburg this year...hopefully the USS Enterprise wont be floating by this time around), and Im glad to be playing Richmond (although not when they were at their national champion level). Id love to see App State or Delaware or Villanova or Wofford or Georgia Southern or any of the other top teams playing in Williams Stadium (heck they may not be a top team but I wouldnt mind seeing citdog and his boys come up to the mountain). Now there have been some things bandied about among Flames fans as to why LU cant seem to get those good quality FCS teams to come to Lynchburg (including people who just dont like Liberty or what it stands for). If LU is going to really take that next big leap forward into the upper echelon of FCS football they are going to need those games against the bigger fish in the FCS pond but those same fish are going to have to swallow whatever pride or reason they have for not scheduling a home and home with Liberty and make the trip up here.

henfan
May 25th, 2011, 10:59 AM
LU has even offered to come to Newark twice for every one to Bethlehem, but UD won't agree.

This statement is based on what? I'm not suggesting it's inaccurate but it's certainly the first I've heard that UD & LU have recently spoken about a 2-for-1. Is there a link somewhere referencing the efforts to schedule a series?

I'd like to see it, as Goodman Stadium is a great place to watch a game.

citdog
May 25th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Liberty has had its share of troubles since Coach Rocco came to town. I know we played W&M his first two years but nothing since the epic double overtime game in 2007 in Williamsburg. I think there was the makings of a nice in state rivalry developing there after the two close games in 06 and 07. Liberty certainly wants to play anybody but the problem is getting teams to come to Lynchburg. Im glad for the JMU series (looking forward to the game in Lynchburg this year...hopefully the USS Enterprise wont be floating by this time around), and Im glad to be playing Richmond (although not when they were at their national champion level). Id love to see App State or Delaware or Villanova or Wofford or Georgia Southern or any of the other top teams playing in Williams Stadium (heck they may not be a top team but I wouldnt mind seeing citdog and his boys come up to the mountain). Now there have been some things bandied about among Flames fans as to why LU cant seem to get those good quality FCS teams to come to Lynchburg (including people who just dont like Liberty or what it stands for). If LU is going to really take that next big leap forward into the upper echelon of FCS football they are going to need those games against the bigger fish in the FCS pond but those same fish are going to have to swallow whatever pride or reason they have for not scheduling a home and home with Liberty and make the trip up here.

there is only one little south team we will grace with our presence and that is V@gina Military Institute and for obvious reasons.

also jerry

LUHawker
May 25th, 2011, 11:57 AM
This statement is based on what? I'm not suggesting it's inaccurate but it's certainly the first I've heard that UD & LU have recently spoken about a 2-for-1. Is there a link somewhere referencing the efforts to schedule a series?

I'd like to see it, as Goodman Stadium is a great place to watch a game.

There is no link, but I personally spoke with Lehigh's HC on this and that is what he said.

89Hen
May 25th, 2011, 12:01 PM
There is no link, but I personally spoke with Lehigh's HC on this and that is what he said.

I talked to UD's AD and that's not what he said.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 25th, 2011, 12:07 PM
xpopcornx

tribefan40
May 25th, 2011, 12:19 PM

I can see the new stadium helping with this. Being a Lynchburg resident, I was hopeful that the tribe/flames series would continue, and am still hopeful that it may pick up again in the future. I think that facilities will help, but exposure - particularly some playoff wins will be a big factor as well, IMO.

aceinthehole
May 25th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Liberty certainly wants to play anybody but the problem is getting teams to come to Lynchburg.

I liked the Liberty-RMU home/home deal. We need more NEC-Big South matchups!

CCSU can't seem to get return games from FCS programs either, so I'd love to see the Flames and Blue Devils do a home/home as well.

LUHawker
May 25th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I talked to UD's AD and that's not what he said.

What can I tell you? He said, she said. The final result is still no games between LU and UD. Travesty.

All I can say is, which source has more reason to say "it ain't so"? Me thinks it is more likely the UD AD.

89Hen
May 25th, 2011, 03:00 PM
What can I tell you? He said, she said. The final result is still no games between LU and UD. Travesty.

All I can say is, which source has more reason to say "it ain't so"? Me thinks it is more likely the UD AD.

And which source has more reason to make it up in the first place? Silly either way. I think most fans of both teams would like to see this game.

89Hen
May 25th, 2011, 03:02 PM
BTW, it's been a couple years since I posted it, so...

GannonFan
May 25th, 2011, 03:09 PM
And which source has more reason to make it up in the first place? Silly either way. I think most fans of both teams would like to see this game.

I agree, the fans would love it. But hey, Lehigh has only themselves to blame for the series not happening - quitting on the series (which was a Lehigh decision based on the fear of not being competitive upon moving to the Patriot League) back in the late 80's ended a pretty good rivalry at that point. When they decided to get back together and try playing UD again, the financials had changed and UD was making a lot of profit through home games and there just wasn't that rivalry anymore with Lehigh since it wasn't an annual game anymore. Maybe UD would've jettisoned Lehigh and the long term rivalry anyway once they realized they could make a lot of money playing just home games, but it's something we'll never find out.

Heck, for me, I'm actually closer geographically to Bethlehem than I am Newark - I'd be more than fine with the series restarting. Just hard to see UD doing that when they have such a focus on increasing revenue through football that giving up a home gate every other year (or every third year) doesn't seem likely, especially when there's no shortage of teams willing to play in Newark without a return date.

GannonFan
May 25th, 2011, 03:16 PM
The Lafayette AD just dials 1-800-IVY-GAME and books as many as he needs.

The problem with you ChickenSquawks and your longing to become chicken feed is that you don't understand the rules of the new decade. You want equality - a home and home contract. I don't think it works that way anymore. Lafayette booked a 3-year series with the Blue Clucks which begins in 2014. It is, I believe, Newark-Easton-Newark. Do ya get the pattern?

Really? Are you sure about the series? That would be the first I would've heard about it. Haven't been to a game in Easton so I would actually love a series like that. Do you have any confirmation and what years (is it '14, '15, and '16 or something different)?

Twentysix
May 25th, 2011, 03:19 PM
UND has 3 D2/NAIA teams, 2 FBS games and 2 OOC games so its not comparable, but when you are in transition...who cares what your schedule looks like.

Honestly the fans for one. If no one cares your playing d3's the big sky might not be a cure all.

darell1976
May 25th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Honestly the fans for one. If no one cares your playing d3's the big sky might not be a cure all.

It could be they are saving $$$ too, its too bad Faison never came out and explained his reason for the schedule...the OOC game that people will go to is Drake.

TheBisonator
May 25th, 2011, 07:24 PM
It could be they are saving $$$ too, its too bad Faison never came out and explained his reason for the schedule...the OOC game that people will go to is Drake.

Your 2012 sched looks good with the exception of that horrible game against South Dakota Technical Institude of Welding and Refrigerator Repair. Literally any other school would've done better in its place.

What I don't understand is the trend of UND fans on your board saying your schedules from 2012 on out will be the most interesting of any Dakota 4 school. I mean, Montana and Montana State are coming to NDSU too. Other than the Montana schools, what you have coming to the Alerus is no better than what NDSU/SDSU/USD have.

LUHawker
May 25th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I know you LC guys are light on analytical skills, but last time I checked, a 2 for 1 would constitute a 3 game series.

darell1976
May 25th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Your 2012 sched looks good with the exception of that horrible game against South Dakota Technical Institude of Welding and Refrigerator Repair. Literally any other school would've done better in its place.

What I don't understand is the trend of UND fans on your board saying your schedules from 2012 on out will be the most interesting of any Dakota 4 school. I mean, Montana and Montana State are coming to NDSU too. Other than the Montana schools, what you have coming to the Alerus is no better than what NDSU/SDSU/USD have.

That SD tech school game is horrible and I pray they can buy that out. I guess there are talks about NDSU/UND starting up but nothing about UND/USD continuing its series in the near future. As for our schedule being better...I for one is not saying its better than the other Dakota schools, in fact NDSU has always had the best OOC games with ZERO D2/NAIA teams since their transition days and to me thats a big deal when you are out of transition.

Seawolf97
May 25th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Not sure of all the ins and outs of our scheduling but we havent played Wagner since we left the NEC, never played Fordham or Columbia for that matter and still owe CCSU a return game from several years ago. This will be the last season I believe we play Brown which ends a 4 year series. Last season we played D 2 AIC and this year St. Anselms another D 2. WE are committed to 2 FBS/BCS a year now but would like to see some more CAA , NEC and SoCon teams on our schdeule. Maybe another series with an Ivy would be good. Ideally with six conference games and two money games a mix of CAA, SoCon and either Nec, Ivy or Patriot teams would be perfect. Tougher scheduling helps with recruiting and moving up in the rankings.

Franks Tanks
May 25th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Really? Are you sure about the series? That would be the first I would've heard about it. Haven't been to a game in Easton so I would actually love a series like that. Do you have any confirmation and what years (is it '14, '15, and '16 or something different)?

A connected Lafayette poster said he heard from our AD we have the Hens and William & Mary on the schedule for the middle of this decade.

bonarae
May 26th, 2011, 06:38 AM
I do not like the way the Ivies are doing scheduling - NEC, PL and PFL. I would like to see more of the SoCon, OVC, and Big Sky. xchinscratchx

carney2
May 26th, 2011, 08:10 AM
At Lafayette it is not difficult to get a non-conference game. Our AD merely dials 1-800-IVY-GAME and schedules all that he wants - three most years, with four not an unusual occurrence.

As for all the feather wringing in Squawkland over not being regular chicken feed for UD, I think that the Brown Fowl need an introduction to the new reality. Lafayette has scheduled a three game series with the Cock-a-doodle-dos beginning in 2014. It will be played Newark, Easton, Newark. Do ya see a pattern here, Squawkers? The days when a Patriot League team would be considered a quality opponent - or even one of e-quality - for a top of the hill CAA program are way behind us. You need to make scheduling concessions to get it done.

Franks Tanks
May 26th, 2011, 08:29 AM
I'm not sure the Hens want to schedule any OOC teams with a home and home. The CAA is hard enough as is, and will give them a good strength of schedule. I think they will look to get single game deals at home, or these 2 for 1's with PL and NEC teams.

89Hen
May 26th, 2011, 08:38 AM
How is it that no Hen fans have heard of a series with LC or a cold shoulder to a new LU proposal. BTW, both CAN'T be true. Hmmmmmmm

carney2
May 26th, 2011, 09:32 AM
How is it that no Hen fans have heard of a series with LC or a cold shoulder to a new LU proposal. BTW, both CAN'T be true. Hmmmmmmm

Why not?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 26th, 2011, 09:52 AM
I think the way Delaware does it is 1-for-0's. And if Lafayette is playing a game with UD in the middle of the year, I would guess that's the way they're doing it.

I could see a scenario where it played out like this: Lehigh offered a 1-for-2 deal with Delaware. Lafayette jumped in with a 0-for-1. UD took the Lafayette 0-for-1 deal, opening themselves up for many more home games in the future. That's how the free market operates.

bjtheflamesfan
May 26th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I liked the Liberty-RMU home/home deal. We need more NEC-Big South matchups!

CCSU can't seem to get return games from FCS programs either, so I'd love to see the Flames and Blue Devils do a home/home as well.

Have your AD get on the horn with ours...Im sure there are openings in 2012-2015 to work something out

State Line Liquors
May 26th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Lafayette has scheduled a three game series with the Cock-a-doodle-dos beginning in 2014. It will be played Newark, Easton, Newark.

Hen fans will be willing to pay to see all 3 games. I hope this is confirmed as more than just rumor in the coming days/weeks.

Jaguar79
May 26th, 2011, 10:50 AM
No major problems at Southern .... people want to play us, but most want us to come to their home first and for the majority of the times, SU is looking for home games.

There are some instances where we should have done better with our schedule, but most of Louisiana and Texas, for a while, wanted us to come to them and fill their stadium.

Still secretly hoping for a Southern/ Southeastern LA matchup soon, but some schools I would be fine with not playing until it's needed. Just not enough interest from Southern fans and any AD coming in now has to keep that in mind.

citdog
May 26th, 2011, 11:00 AM
No major problems at Southern .... people want to play us, but most want us to come to their home first and for the majority of the times, SU is looking for home games.

There are some instances where we should have done better with our schedule, but most of Louisiana and Texas, for a while, wanted us to come to them and fill their stadium.

Still secretly hoping for a Southern/ Southeastern LA matchup soon, but some schools I would be fine with not playing until it's needed. Just not enough interest from Southern fans and any AD coming in now has to keep that in mind.

would love to welcome Stump back to Genl Hagood's House

DJKyR0
May 26th, 2011, 01:26 PM
The only downside in scheduling I see is our FCS home OOC scheduling since 2008. Since that year, our home FCS OOC schedule has consisted of Wagner, Central Conn State, Austin Peay, USD and Morgan State. Certainly better than scheduling a bunch of non-counter <DI's, but on the flipside we do have Montana and Montana St. coming to town in the next few years and it wasn't our fault Georgia State flaked out.

carney2
May 26th, 2011, 01:27 PM
I think the way Delaware does it is 1-for-0's. And if Lafayette is playing a game with UD in the middle of the year, I would guess that's the way they're doing it.

I could see a scenario where it played out like this: Lehigh offered a 1-for-2 deal with Delaware. Lafayette jumped in with a 0-for-1. UD took the Lafayette 0-for-1 deal, opening themselves up for many more home games in the future. That's how the free market operates.

I realize that my college degree is only from a Patriot League institution and that I frequently require a translator, but...HUH?! What is this gibberish: 0-for1, 1-for-0, 1-for2? The way it was initially explained to me and the way I laid it out in a previous post to this thread was that Lafayette will visit Delaware twice while Delaware will visit Lafayette once. Is that 0-for-1? How so?

By the bye, all of this is, I guess, something of the based on "reliable sources" at this point. I don't know how we will get confirmation before August. This same "reliable source" states that Lafayette also has a two year series (home and home?) with W&M in that same general time frame.

89Hen
May 26th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Why not?

LU fans claim UD won't do a 2 for 1 deal, but LC fans claim UD did a 2 for 1 deal. Somebody (or both) is/are mistaken.

GaSouthern
May 26th, 2011, 04:05 PM
When is that Appy, Montie, McNeese trifecta going to start?

McNeeserocket
May 26th, 2011, 04:32 PM
When is that Appy, Montie, McNeese trifecta going to start?

According to articles on all three teams' websites posted back in 2009, the following is the projected schedule:

SERIES DETAILS
2012: Montana at Appalachian (Sept. 1)
2013: Appalachian at Montana (date TBA)
2014: Appalachian at McNeese State (Aug. 30)
2015: McNeese State at Appalachian (Sept. 5)
2016: Montana at McNeese State (Sept. 3)
2017: McNeese State at Montana (Sept. 2)

McNeese is looking forward to these quality games!

RabidRabbit
May 26th, 2011, 05:03 PM
SDSU has played OOC's vs. Montana, Montana St., Tx St., SFA, McNeese, Delaware, MVFC schools (before joining conference), GWFC (after leaving conference), Ga Southern, and Southern.

Scheduled SELU, and other Southland schools. Been difficult to get some of the big name schools in Brookings. However, SFA, Tx St., McNeese, Cal Poly, Ga Southern have all come to tangle with the Jacks at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.

Like to have one road OOC vs FCS, one home FCS, and one FBS(BCS) for the 3 normal FCS games. Hope to see 2 OOC's in Brookings for the 12 game seasons. With a top 30 FCS attendence figures, Jacks are typically getting to make this happen, even if means a "bought" (one at home, no return game). I doubt Jacks will be accepting anymore 2-4-1, where Jacks are away for the 2.

DJKyR0
May 26th, 2011, 05:34 PM
SDSU has played OOC's vs. Montana, Montana St., Tx St., SFA, McNeese, Delaware, MVFC schools (before joining conference), GWFC (after leaving conference), Ga Southern, and Southern.

Scheduled SELU, and other Southland schools. Been difficult to get some of the big name schools in Brookings. However, SFA, Tx St., McNeese, Cal Poly, Ga Southern have all come to tangle with the Jacks at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.

Like to have one road OOC vs FCS, one home FCS, and one FBS(BCS) for the 3 normal FCS games. Hope to see 2 OOC's in Brookings for the 12 game seasons. With a top 30 FCS attendence figures, Jacks are typically getting to make this happen, even if means a "bought" (one at home, no return game). I doubt Jacks will be accepting anymore 2-4-1, where Jacks are away for the 2.

NDSU adopted this mindset awhile back. With the kind of revenue home games are generating a given school can't afford to miss out on the opportunity to bring in the proceeds from a sixth home game. Part of the reason we aren't seeing a game against UND anywhere but Fargo for a while.

GAD
May 26th, 2011, 05:44 PM

It's hard for Southern to schedule ooc games because of the SWAC 9 game mandate, with only two dates to play with its real hard to do a home and home. The only two FCS opponents we have scheduled H&A has been Tenn st. and McNeese(disaster). If you are a team like Jackson State or Alabama State and already have a traditional ooc opponent it only leaves you one game.

bluehenbillk
May 26th, 2011, 10:17 PM
UD possibly playing a game in Easton? That'd be a pretty big surprise. It'd have to be in a 11 game season as we have Navy in 2013 and Pitt in 2014. There is zero chance of UD ever having 5 home games in a season. I live in PA and I really wouldn't be that excited about it - the PL has fallen steeply from a competitve standpoint since the early 2000's. I'd also be surprised with the "connected" people on GoHens that Lafayette has never come up as a potential opponent. BTW the only PL team mentioned has been Bucknell. Oh brother...

Lehigh Football Nation
May 26th, 2011, 11:07 PM
It's hard for Southern to schedule ooc games because of the SWAC 9 game mandate, with only two dates to play with its real hard to do a home and home. The only two FCS opponents we have scheduled H&A has been Tenn st. and McNeese(disaster). If you are a team like Jackson State or Alabama State and already have a traditional ooc opponent it only leaves you one game.

This is a great point - the nine-game mandate has to be a big barrier towards regular OOC scheduling.

coover
May 27th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Cal Poly has had problems for several years. With only a 5 team league, that meant trying to find 7 D-I opponents. Unfortunately, there were only two OOC FCS possible opponents in California, Sac State and U San Diego. Sac State did play Poly occasionally, but had a full conference schedule and didn't have an open date as often as Poly would have hoped. U San Diego? Who knows? Cal Poly's AD called often and was simply refused. So Poly had to look elsewhere ... everywhere. They took games all over the country and many times, often ending up in "body bag games" with the big guys. Yes, they got paid, but that was not necessarily the point. They needed the game too. Just to get a 4th or 5th home game, they sometimes took a D - II team (as they are doing this year - in 2011 - with Central Oklahoma). Next year - 2012 - they will join the Big Sky and their scheduling problems for the most part will end.

clenz
May 29th, 2011, 11:54 AM
UNI doesn't really have a big problem.

8 MVFC games
One in-state FBS game with Iowa or Iowa State on the schedule every year through 2018

That leaves two OOC games. We've been getting some pretty good home and homes lately with SFA, USD (who will be a conference mate next year), SDSU before they joined, SUU.

Have also had home games against St. Francis, Nichols State, etc...

Scheduling would be a hell of a lot easier if Drake wouldn't be such a ***** and would agree to a home/home series or a 2/1 series at UNI. However, they will not (under any circumstance short of at least 6 games at Drake and then one at UNI. )

carney2
May 29th, 2011, 12:47 PM
UD possibly playing a game in Easton? That'd be a pretty big surprise. It'd have to be in a 11 game season as we have Navy in 2013 and Pitt in 2014. There is zero chance of UD ever having 5 home games in a season. I live in PA and I really wouldn't be that excited about it - the PL has fallen steeply from a competitve standpoint since the early 2000's. I'd also be surprised with the "connected" people on GoHens that Lafayette has never come up as a potential opponent. BTW the only PL team mentioned has been Bucknell. Oh brother...

Should be able to get confirmation one way or the other from our end in early August.

darell1976
May 29th, 2011, 03:02 PM
UNI doesn't really have a big problem.

8 MVFC games
One in-state FBS game with Iowa or Iowa State on the schedule every year through 2018

That leaves two OOC games. We've been getting some pretty good home and homes lately with SFA, USD (who will be a conference mate next year), SDSU before they joined, SUU.

Have also had home games against St. Francis, Nichols State, etc...

Scheduling would be a hell of a lot easier if Drake wouldn't be such a ***** and would agree to a home/home series or a 2/1 series at UNI. However, they will not (under any circumstance short of at least 6 games at Drake and then one at UNI. )

Hopefully North Dakota can get a game with UNI. We shocked your fans with an upset win at your dome in 2006 when we were in DII, and I know you guys would love revenge.