PDA

View Full Version : Griz Fans: Anyone going to the game at UT?

PantherRob82
May 20th, 2011, 12:44 AM
I've always wanted to go to a game in Knoxville and this one has been on my radar since it was announced. Any of you making the trip?

chattownmocs
May 20th, 2011, 07:14 AM
One of the most awesome experiences you'll have as a college football fan. There is nothing like Tennessee Tradition.

Bam
May 20th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Great atomsphere. I went to see UT smack the Blundering Terds a few years back! ha ha Awesome facility.

chattownmocs
May 20th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Its actually improved over the last few years with all the upgrades.

TTUEagles
May 20th, 2011, 08:16 AM
I grew up a UT fan, and though I now cannot stand the "Beeg Ahrnge," I must say it's one of the best, if not THE best college football atmospheres...Great tailgating, good bars nearby, great scenery (mountains, campus, chicks), a lot of neat traditons pre and during the game...I highly recommend it...

chattownmocs
May 20th, 2011, 09:59 AM
I grew up a UT fan, and though I now cannot stand the "Beeg Ahrnge," I must say it's one of the best, if not THE best college football atmospheres...Great tailgating, good bars nearby, great scenery (mountains, campus, chicks), a lot of neat traditons pre and during the game...I highly recommend it...

Pretty lame that you switched teams.

TTUEagles
May 20th, 2011, 10:37 AM
No it's not. I went to TTU and played for TTU, not UT, therefore no longer a fan. I guess saying "I cannot stand (them)" was a bit strong, but I have no allegiance to that place...

citdog
May 20th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Pretty lame that you switched teams.

pretty lame you're not a real chattanooga fan. like all mocs you are a volunteer first.

chattownmocs
May 20th, 2011, 12:38 PM
pretty lame you're not a real chattanooga fan. like all mocs you are a volunteer first.

Yeah I forgot its such a conflict of interests chattanooga and UTK. Since they play each other every year and are in the same conference and even play for the same national title and all.

StorminASU
May 20th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Yeah I forgot its such a conflict of interests chattanooga and UTK. Since they play each other every year and are in the same conference and even play for the same national title and all.

This is what I hate about FCS football. Most (yeah I dared to say most) FCS fans are fans of their team when it's convenient. If their team gets in the way of (insert SEC, ACC, BIG 10, BIG 12.... school here) then they might sit that game out and stay home to watch TV. If the FCS team wins and someone wants to talk about it, they steer the conversation toward something the other school did that week. As an App fan it irritates the hell out of me to hear people asking for the UNC score while our team is on the field; or to see idiots wearing Duke blue on game day. You went to an FCS school (I know you actually didn't Chattown and this isn't directed at you since you didn't), you didn't get into the other school so stop giving an F about them and become a true, complete fan of your own alma mater....alright, I'm stepping off my soap box.

TTUEagles
May 20th, 2011, 02:22 PM
I guess my insult of UT is partially responsible for the hijack of this thread. BUt, that's where my "hatred" of UT began: I was sick of students, frat. members, etc., watching UT games during our home games and not knowing/caring about our team, TTU. Believe me, I get it, most like the "big boys" better, it's a higher level of football, bigger stadiums, waaay more info out there on the SEC schools, and so on... It's fine. I have no problems with someone being a Chattanooga and UT fan. Everybody can do what they want. I simply tried to write WHY I "changed teams," - I believe in supporting my alma mater first, and especially the school I played for. Not many feel that way with a "smaller school," and that's okay, but certainly frustrating for StorminASU and I. I do follow the SEC, Big East, etc., and love going to those games. Like I said, there is not much better than a home game in Knoxville - but, that's not "my team."
I did find it weird that a lot of my UT-Martin friends wore UT-Martin clothes to the UT game last year but said, "Oh no, we're for UT, It would be awful if we lost to Martin! "

chattownmocs
May 20th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Like I said there really isnt a conflict of interest to me. If im at the tennessee game I am checking my phone to see what Chattanooga is doing and vice versa. They are 2 seperate levels of football. One represents my city, the other my entire state. They arent rivals, they dont play (at least not in football) Ones success is not a detriment to other. I dont understand why all the FCS fans are here are so much better fans because they dont care about the FBS.

ALPHAGRIZ1
May 20th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I am going to Knoxville for the Game with my son.

Got my airline tickets, game tickets and sideline passes. Cant wait to see if the Vol fans are as big of douchebags as they are on their message board.

TheBisonator
May 20th, 2011, 03:11 PM
I guess my insult of UT is partially responsible for the hijack of this thread. BUt, that's where my "hatred" of UT began: I was sick of students, frat. members, etc., watching UT games during our home games and not knowing/caring about our team, TTU. Believe me, I get it, most like the "big boys" better, it's a higher level of football, bigger stadiums, waaay more info out there on the SEC schools, and so on... It's fine. I have no problems with someone being a Chattanooga and UT fan. Everybody can do what they want. I simply tried to write WHY I "changed teams," - I believe in supporting my alma mater first, and especially the school I played for. Not many feel that way with a "smaller school," and that's okay, but certainly frustrating for StorminASU and I. I do follow the SEC, Big East, etc., and love going to those games. Like I said, there is not much better than a home game in Knoxville - but, that's not "my team."
I did find it weird that a lot of my UT-Martin friends wore UT-Martin clothes to the UT game last year but said, "Oh no, we're for UT, It would be awful if we lost to Martin! "

I'm a fan of NDSU above ALL else. Went to school there, got my degree there, went to every home football game.

Then again, I'm not the type of guy who's comfortable cheering for a sports team that EVERYONE ELSE cheers for. That's why I despise the Yankees, Lakers, Cowboys, etc. I also cannot bring myself to cheer for a college that I have no connection to. My parents went to the U of Minnesota, and I cheered for the Gophers (mostly in basketball) when I was a kid, but once I went to NDSU, I didn't feel right having any sort of allegiance to the Gophers.

Some people are "Walmart Wolverines" or "Walmart Longhorns" or "Walmart Gators", and I just can't do that. Being a bandwagon fan is not in my personality. In the end, you gotta pull for the actual school you went to.

Silenoz
May 20th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I'm a fan of NDSU above ALL else. Went to school there, got my degree there, went to every home football game.

Then again, I'm not the type of guy who's comfortable cheering for a sports team that EVERYONE ELSE cheers for. That's why I despise the Yankees, Lakers, Cowboys, etc. I also cannot bring myself to cheer for a college that I have no connection to. My parents went to the U of Minnesota, and I cheered for the Gophers (mostly in basketball) when I was a kid, but once I went to NDSU, I didn't feel right having any sort of allegiance to the Gophers.

Some people are "Walmart Wolverines" or "Walmart Longhorns" or "Walmart Gators", and I just can't do that. Being a bandwagon fan is not in my personality. In the end, you gotta pull for the actual school you went to.

Yeah, that's just part of the human condition. People will always bandwagon on the frontrunning programs/teams because that is the easiest route to feeling good about yourself and being able to puff your chest at others. Why I get extremely annoyed with UM or MSU grads who don't care about FCS but will passionately follow some top program across the nation that they have no ties to, that plays "big boy" football.

TTUEagles
May 20th, 2011, 03:59 PM

Got my airline tickets, game tickets and sideline passes. Cant wait to see if the Vol fans are as big of douchebags as they are on their message board.

If your in the midst of 107,000 people, you will surely find a bunch of d'bags, like everywhere else. I've been to 8 of the 12 SEC venues, K-State, Louisville, VA Tech and they are all the same - no one is any better/worse than anyone else. Most fans at UT will be cordial - try to take in some of the Smokey Mountains, too. It might not be that impressive coming from Montana, but those mountains are different and a lot going on around Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge.

bojeta
May 20th, 2011, 05:33 PM
I've always wanted to go to a game in Knoxville and this one has been on my radar since it was announced. Any of you making the trip?

I'll be about 2500 miles away at the Cal Poly game, but would love to see it. Is it going to be televised? If so, will be recording it for sure.

Uncle Rico's Clan
May 21st, 2011, 06:51 PM
I am going to head down with a few buddies, I'm really looking forward to the trip, it should be a good time.

ncbears
May 22nd, 2011, 12:12 AM

How did you get sideline passes?

citdog
May 22nd, 2011, 12:18 AM

duh....he's BLACK!!

http://www.dotpenn.com/images/stories/articles/2008-8/barack_obama_race_card.jpg

xhurrayx

xnodx

DG Cowboy
May 22nd, 2011, 10:58 AM
TTUEagles,

We have the same problem in Lake Charles. Anyone in Louisiana who did not go to college at all "would have been an LSU grad" had life not been cruel. Many more with degrees from McNeese, Southeastern, UL-L, etc. only went there because they "could not afford LSU".

On the bright side, there are die-hard fans of all of the schools who wish LSU well, but would never miss a home game in Lake Charles or Natchitoches to watch LSU on TV. However, I do emphasize that McNeese folks are very, very grateful that LSU played us as their first FCS state team in Tiger Stadium. So I can understand where Chattownmocs is coming from. I just hope his Mocs are #1 and UT is #1A for him.

UNIFanSince1983
May 23rd, 2011, 09:29 AM
Having been at the Sweet Sixteen when UNI played Michigan State, and Tennessee played Ohio State. I would love to go to a game a Neyland Stadium. There was nothing cooler than when they played Rocky Top. Just one of those cool traditions.

And it bothers me when people are dual fans of UNI and Iowa or Iowa State. However, there are a lot fewer Iowa State/UNI dual fans than Iowa/UNI dual fans. The worst is the people that say they are Iowa football fans and UNI basketball fans. I mean seriously. It especially pisses me off when they are people that went to UNI and are huge Iowa fans and could care less about UNI sports. Of course I grew up in Cedar Falls going to UNI games since I was a baby, and was taught to dislike Iowa at a young age. Maybe that is why I feel this way.

TTUEagles
May 23rd, 2011, 11:03 AM
Well for me, I don't mind it if people follow TTU casually, after UT (for example). We sure need every single fan we can get! I just was iritated that people who actually WENT to TTU, cared more for other schools. Naive to some degree, I agree, but that's what changed my allegiance in schools. That's why this thread has changed directions - because someone didn't agree with me no longer being a big UT fan. It's no big deal...

chattownmocs
May 23rd, 2011, 11:39 AM
Hey as long as you werent a Tennessee fan when they were competing for National Championships and as long as you dont come back when they are back on that level, its fine with me. The thing is that most children grow up Tennessee fans in this state. Its kind of hard to shake it regardless of where you went to school I would imagine. Especially if your school isnt a Tennessee rival.

JSU02
May 23rd, 2011, 12:13 PM
No it's not. I went to TTU and played for TTU, not UT, therefore no longer a fan. I guess saying "I cannot stand (them)" was a bit strong, but I have no allegiance to that place...

Now that is the correct attitude :D

ALPHAGRIZ1
May 23rd, 2011, 12:57 PM

I know people..........

I am only going down there for one quarter to shoot some video and take pictures, I dont like to watch the games from the sidelines I prefer to be elevated.

citdog
May 23rd, 2011, 08:20 PM
I prefer to be elevated.

http://fromusatoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Weed-Day.jpg

Grizzaholic
May 23rd, 2011, 08:21 PM

CIT...he is black. Look to the mexicana weed.

Grizo406
May 23rd, 2011, 10:07 PM

Not that I care, or know how true it is, but it's my understanding, presently, there is nothing out there that beats something called "Haze"...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3542/3822702372_38e097968b.jpg

Grizzaholic
May 23rd, 2011, 10:40 PM
Not that I care, or know how true it is, but it's my understanding, presently, there is nothing out there that beats something called "Haze"...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3542/3822702372_38e097968b.jpg

So...this is why you missed the last lunch with some BS about having to "work". Yeah...Work your bong.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 23rd, 2011, 10:52 PM
So...this is why you missed the last lunch with some BS about having to "work". Yeah...Work your bong.

Sorry, I've got nothing to add here. Just wanted to see what doucheholic added to a thread about Griz fans. I wasn't disappointed. xcoffeex

Grizo406
May 23rd, 2011, 11:19 PM

Easy there, it's just what I heard...

Nothing...I repeat NOTHING but saving lives would/could keep me from spending quality time with you and Ursus. And the chance to meet Vidav was just an added bonus...I wouldn't have been there if I could!

Scratch that last part. What I meant to say was that "I would have been there if I could!"

LegalGaSouthernEagle
May 24th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Sorry, I've got nothing to add here. Just wanted to see what doucheholic added to a thread about Griz fans. I wasn't disappointed. xcoffeexHaha. He is a douchbag isn't he.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 24th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Haha. He is a douchbag isn't he.

Naw, you got him beat. xthumbsupx

LegalGaSouthernEagle
May 24th, 2011, 12:40 AM
haters.

Grizzaholic
May 24th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Sorry, I've got nothing to add here. Just wanted to see what doucheholic added to a thread about Griz fans. I wasn't disappointed. xcoffeex

You are welcome?

93henfan
May 24th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Still waiting for a charitable Montana fan to offer me a face-value extra ticket in the Griz section.

I'll make the trip but I ain't sittin' with FBS scum.

Grizzaholic
May 24th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I got a ticket for ya if you want to come to the ZOO. Screw Citdog, he can get one from a scalper.

93henfan
May 24th, 2011, 10:46 AM
I got a ticket for ya if you want to come to the ZOO. Screw Citdog, he can get one from a scalper.

Too cold and loud.

Grizzaholic
May 24th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Too cold and loud.

Yeah, you are probably right. GSU has a better everything. Better off going there.

GoDukes86
May 24th, 2011, 11:46 AM
For all of you Griz fans:

I've had the opportunity to visit games at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville probably 20 times during my lifetime and although I'm not a UT fan, I would highly recommend that you go see your team play there this Fall. The atmosphere and excitement of their games is one of the best college football has to offer, it's truly a special place to attend a game. I can only hope that I can live long enough that my school gets to play there so I can fully participate as a fan and alumnus.

If you have any chance at all of attending, take advantage and go! You'll never regret it!