PDA

View Full Version : North Alabama fans still waiting on FCS and Janoris Jenkins decisions

kperk014
May 13th, 2011, 04:32 PM
http://www.examiner.com/small-school-college-football-in-national/ex-uf-cb-janoris-jenkins-transfers-to-north-alabama

TheBisonator
May 13th, 2011, 04:48 PM
I've read some of the conversation amongst UNA fans on the d2 message board, and I find it weird how a lot of the fans think that a move to the OVC from the Gulf South would be a step down.

If I was a UNA fan, I'd see NAIA schools like Shorter College and Trevecca Nazarene wanting into my conference, and wanting to find a way out of that situation. Heck, didn't tiny, pathetic Lambuth make a play for the GSC, right before the school ran out of money and shut down??

The OVC has schools that are much more compatible with UNA anyway.

kperk014
May 13th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I've read some of the conversation amongst UNA fans on the d2 message board, and I find it weird how a lot of the fans think that a move to the OVC from the Gulf South would be a step down.

If I was a UNA fan, I'd see NAIA schools like Shorter College and Trevecca Nazarene wanting into my conference, and wanting to find a way out of that situation. Heck, didn't tiny, pathetic Lambuth make a play for the GSC, right before the school ran out of money and shut down??

The OVC has schools that are much more compatible with UNA anyway.

Tell me about it! I've told them if the only thing that matters is winning every game, let's drop down to high school level so we can win them all. It would be worthless but at least we would be assured of winning. I have confidence that we can compete and will if given a chance. We are 2-2 against FBS and 6-5 against FCS even with the scholarship deficit. I hope the wimpy among us will not be given the last say in this.

TheBisonator
May 13th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Tell me about it! I've told them if the only thing that matters is winning every game, let's drop down to high school level so we can win them all. It would be worthless but at least we would be assured of winning. I have confidence that we can compete and will if given a chance. We are 2-2 against FBS and 6-5 against FCS even with the scholarship deficit. I hope the wimpy among us will not be given the last say in this.

That's the same kind of attitude that Grand Valley State fans have. They want to win every single championship. Issue is that they're winning all those titles against lesser competition. They totally have the capability to be really comptetative in the MAC, but I guess being competative with the varsity guys is not as important as kicking the 5th graders around. It's not about who you hang around with that's important to them. If every school administration and fan base has GVSU's attitude, there would be a rapid exodus to the NAIA nationwide.

And I think UNA would be very competitive in the OVC right away. If it ends up being true that JSU won't be invited to the Sun Belt, then you have your old big rivalry back with them. UNA is one of the very few moveups from D2 that I feel would not be a diluting of the FCS. Not a lot of schools are left in D2 that belong in D1, but UNA is one of them, IMO.

It'll cost more money to make the move, yes, but one could argue that the athletic program should never have been funded at that low of a DII level to begin with, and that bringing up the budget to the OVC average is like righting a wrong.

TheBisonator
May 13th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Tell me about it! I've told them if the only thing that matters is winning every game, let's drop down to high school level so we can win them all.

I was gonna say one more thing about this quote you made:

NDSU could have easily stayed in D2 and tried to make runs at the Elite Eight in basketball, and even bring its program up where they could contend for D2 national championships and such, and maybe there would be some joy gotten out of NDSU making a championship run in D2.

Now in 2009, the first year we were eligible for March Madness, we did the unthinkable and we won our conference and recieved an invitation to THE BIG SHOW. I was there at the Metrodome when 14-seeded NDSU took on 3-seeded Kansas. I and at least 10,000 other Bison fans took in the entire atmosphere that day, and the week leading to the game after our clinching the conference title.

What I am trying to say is that the entire, whole experience that NDSU and its fans had in winning the conference tournament and punching our ticket, and all the press we recieved (the press was HUGE for the school's enrollment demand and bottom line), and the experience of being in THE ACTUAL BIG DANCE itself, just BEING THERE as a 14 seed in the first round, that kind of experience for the fans and the school was MANY times more than any kind of championship run we could ever make in D2.

People who advocate staying in D2 (I'm talking about the fans of the few schools where D1 would work) seem to take all championships at equal value, when they are not. A D2 national championship is not worth nearly as much as a D1 national championship in that same sport. I'm sorry, but that's the truth. And they really greatly underestimate the experience of success at the D1 level, no matter how modest.

Being there in the 1st round of The Big Dance > Championship runs in D2. It's just a much greater, all-encompassing thing.

kperk014
May 13th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I was gonna say one more thing about this quote you made:

NDSU could have easily stayed in D2 and tried to make runs at the Elite Eight in basketball, and even bring its program up where they could contend for D2 national championships and such, and maybe there would be some joy gotten out of NDSU making a championship run in D2.

Now in 2009, the first year we were eligible for March Madness, we did the unthinkable and we won our conference and recieved an invitation to THE BIG SHOW. I was there at the Metrodome when 14-seeded NDSU took on 3-seeded Kansas. I and at least 10,000 other Bison fans took in the entire atmosphere that day, and the week leading to the game after our clinching the conference title.

What I am trying to say is that the entire, whole experience that NDSU and its fans had in winning the conference tournament and punching our ticket, and all the press we recieved (the press was HUGE for the school's enrollment demand and bottom line), and the experience of being in THE ACTUAL BIG DANCE itself, just BEING THERE as a 14 seed in the first round, that kind of experience for the fans and the school was MANY times more than any kind of championship run we could ever make in D2.

People who advocate staying in D2 (I'm talking about the fans of the few schools where D1 would work) seem to take all championships at equal value, when they are not. A D2 national championship is not worth nearly as much as a D1 national championship in that same sport. I'm sorry, but that's the truth. And they really greatly underestimate the experience of success at the D1 level, no matter how modest.

Being there in the 1st round of The Big Dance > Championship runs in D2. It's just a much greater, all-encompassing thing.

People down here think I'm crazy when I say that Troy almost beating LSU in Baton Rouge in football excited their fans more than either of their D2 NCs as did the first time they were selected for the Big Dance. I told them I wasn't making it up, that's what the Troy fans have said so then they said the Troy fans must be stupid. They just can't comprehend the excitement of competition at the highest level you can attain. It's like this "I chose D2" crap. The only reason you choose D2 is if you can't get into D1. It would be like minor league baseball players saying they chose Class A instead of MLB. Yeah right.

TheBisonator
May 13th, 2011, 08:11 PM
People down here think I'm crazy when I say that Troy almost beating LSU in Baton Rouge in football excited their fans more than either of their D2 NCs as did the first time they were selected for the Big Dance. I told them I wasn't making it up, that's what the Troy fans have said so then they said the Troy fans must be stupid. They just can't comprehend the excitement of competition at the highest level you can attain. It's like this "I chose D2" crap. The only reason you choose D2 is if you can't get into D1. It would be like minor league baseball players saying they chose Class A instead of MLB. Yeah right.

The Troy fans you're talking to are telling the truth. It's very real. The accomplishment and satisfaction obviously is much higher, of course, but those kind of successes in DI also translate into more demand for your school from prospective students. It's called The Flutie Effect and it's very real. It's the kind of thing that happened to Morehead State this past March when they beat Louisville in the Dance. It happened to NDSU the summer after we went to the Dance. After we beat Minnesota in 2007, there were stories of Chicago area HS FB players cheering on the Bison and still following their season after the Minn game and talking about hoping that if they weren't good enough for the Big Ten, that they could get into NDSU. There are bounties your school can reap with a DI move, provided the commitment is there to be competive.

TexasTerror
May 13th, 2011, 08:14 PM
My thoughts on UNA...

1) They love being competitive and having a chance to win a national title. If they move to FCS, their only opportunity to do that would come in football. You can essentially forget about their other sports.

2) UNA once competed with Troy and Jacksonville State. With Troy being FBS and Jacksonville State heading that way, what is the point of UNA becoming FCS? They would not be competing on an equal playing field with them and by remaining Division II - they can get Division I transfers and continue to have a 'niche' of their own.

3) The money is not there and the students have already stated via a vote that they are not willing to foot the bill. All of these changes in classification need some financial assistance - whether it student fee or increased monies from direct institutional support. UNA is not getting either unless the board overseeing the school forces the students to pay up, despite their fight against it.

No question that schools like ULM live for their moment of beating Alabama... but for every great moment, there are 99 others that are not great.

UNA would be a very poorly funded Division I program - even at the FCS level - and they are something special at the Division II level. If they could gain enough financial commitment to make the move the right way, have at it. If not, you are better off remaining Division II.

The only reason you choose D2 is if you can't get into D1

I've talked to the AD at Valdosta State - they are known as "Titletown U.S.A".

They are consistently one of the best Division II programs in the nation. Why do they not move up? It is not because they can not get into Division I, it is because they want to compete for national titles and not be left in the dust. That comment was repeated to me time and time again by members of their athletic administration and fan base...

So, I disagree... it tends to come down to finances and the desire to compete at a higher level with minimal resources...

BEAR
May 13th, 2011, 08:32 PM
So is UNA still a division II school?

TexasTerror
May 14th, 2011, 06:57 AM
So is UNA still a division II school?

Correct.

The only Division II school to formally begin the process of going from Division II to Division I is Nebraska-Omaha. There are a few other schools who are discussing making the move (i.e. UNA, Northern Kentucky), but none has a conference invite and starting to move forward for when the moratorium is lifted.

kperk014
May 14th, 2011, 09:17 AM
My thoughts on UNA...

1) They love being competitive and having a chance to win a national title. If they move to FCS, their only opportunity to do that would come in football. You can essentially forget about their other sports.

2) UNA once competed with Troy and Jacksonville State. With Troy being FBS and Jacksonville State heading that way, what is the point of UNA becoming FCS? They would not be competing on an equal playing field with them and by remaining Division II - they can get Division I transfers and continue to have a 'niche' of their own.

3) The money is not there and the students have already stated via a vote that they are not willing to foot the bill. All of these changes in classification need some financial assistance - whether it student fee or increased monies from direct institutional support. UNA is not getting either unless the board overseeing the school forces the students to pay up, despite their fight against it.

No question that schools like ULM live for their moment of beating Alabama... but for every great moment, there are 99 others that are not great.

UNA would be a very poorly funded Division I program - even at the FCS level - and they are something special at the Division II level. If they could gain enough financial commitment to make the move the right way, have at it. If not, you are better off remaining Division II.

I've talked to the AD at Valdosta State - they are known as "Titletown U.S.A".

They are consistently one of the best Division II programs in the nation. Why do they not move up? It is not because they can not get into Division I, it is because they want to compete for national titles and not be left in the dust. That comment was repeated to me time and time again by members of their athletic administration and fan base...

So, I disagree... it tends to come down to finances and the desire to compete at a higher level with minimal resources...

LOL VSU is known as Titletown because their fans and GSC fans voted for them until their fingers were raw on ESPN! "Titletown" was and still is Green Bay, Wi. And we really don't know what kind of funding UNA will have. There's a lot of money and prominent corporations in north Alabama and Bowden is the kind of guy who tap into it. We can still get FBS transfers like Janoris Jenkins even if we move to FCS. As far as the other sports go, most of the South lives and dies with football. When the other sports succeed it's like icing on the cake. And the students? If you leave it up to them they wouldn't even pay tuition. Those students will be gone shortly so they shouldn't be allowed to dictate the future of the university.

Johnny Williams, a former Lion, led Troy from D2 to FCS and then FBS. He's leading the study here. He's made the statement that you are either green and growing or ripe and rotting. I think that's true. There's just not that much enthusiasm for the status quo here. We've climbed most of the mountains that D2 has to offer and we need to move on. If Williams concludes it's the best move, we should make it. If he doesn't? I won't like it but I wouldn't argue with him. I always appreciate your posts, Terror. This time we just disagree.

Redhawk2010
May 14th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I wonder if UNA will get shut down from joining the OVC now that Belmont is joining the OVC in 2012-2013. Yes, Belmont does not have football but I'll be curious to see if that matters. If Jacksonville State stays, then adding another school to the OVC may not make sense. If they go, I would say that the OVC has to find another school with football. I just wish the OVC would force Morehead State to join the conference in football, but that won't happen..

JSU02
May 14th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Nothing against Belmont, but I do not like where the OVC is headed. The last 2 schools added have no intentions of adding football, let alone scholarship football. As things stand, I don't see UNA joining the OVC until either TN State joins the SWAC or JSU leaves for FBS (which won't be until after we upgrade our arena, which won't be until around 2014). I would imagine EKU fans aren't too happy with this addition either.

kperk014
May 14th, 2011, 10:52 AM
It would seem the OVC would want to get to 10 teams in football. As far as basketball goes, it doesn't really seem to matter. The more the merrier. At one time there were 17 schools in the GSC but only 10 played football. How many teams are in the Big, Big East now? 30 or 40?:D

TexasTerror
May 14th, 2011, 04:33 PM
We can still get FBS transfers like Janoris Jenkins even if we move to FCS.

Yes - but going from Div II to Div I means you will not get Div I transfers as often in the other sports. The advantage of being a Div II in the 'South' is that you can take advantage of transfers from the SEC in other sports.

As far as the other sports go, most of the South lives and dies with football. When the other sports succeed it's like icing on the cake.

So, would you consider a move from Div II to Div I - an abandonment of the other sports? Yes - football is the most important - but all indications are that UNA has had success at the Div II level in several other sports (just like many of their other GSC counterparts). Would this success go to the wayside?

And the students? If you leave it up to them they wouldn't even pay tuition. Those students will be gone shortly so they shouldn't be allowed to dictate the future of the university.

Students have approved fee increases at numerous institutions from the FBS level on down. These fee increases have allowed for schools to bankroll moves like this one, add football and other sports. If your student body - regardless if they are gone - is against it - there is obviously some issues that have to be worked out on campus. It would be relatively foolish to implement a fee that your student body has balked at and it is quite evident that the funds are not in place right now to even be a low-level Division I with what you have now.

Johnny Williams, a former Lion, led Troy from D2 to FCS and then FBS. He's leading the study here. He's made the statement that you are either green and growing or ripe and rotting. I think that's true. There's just not that much enthusiasm for the status quo here. We've climbed most of the mountains that D2 has to offer and we need to move on. If Williams concludes it's the best move, we should make it. If he doesn't? I won't like it but I wouldn't argue with him. I always appreciate your posts, Terror. This time we just disagree.

I am sure he is going to conclude that making the move to FCS is a good one for UNA.

Still is going to come down to funding resources and there's a shortage of that. You can only tap outside revenues so long - the school will have to supply institutional support at higher levels and you are still going to have to get a student fee increase done. Can those two things happen?

I wonder if UNA will get shut down from joining the OVC now that Belmont is joining the OVC in 2012-2013. Yes, Belmont does not have football but I'll be curious to see if that matters. If Jacksonville State stays, then adding another school to the OVC may not make sense. If they go, I would say that the OVC has to find another school with football. I just wish the OVC would force Morehead State to join the conference in football, but that won't happen..

There's some belief that UNA told the OVC that the move was not likely happening in the immediate future, thereby leading to the invite of Belmont. I am not sure that is 100% accurate, but I've been told by some that UNA has talked about Division I for an entire generation or two - yet has failed to make the move up. They are evidently still talking...

darell1976
May 14th, 2011, 05:34 PM
North Alabama was a DII football powerhouse. As a Sioux fan I hated the idea of playing UNA in the playoffs in Florence but watching the Sioux beat them in the 2003 playoffs in Grand Forks was great. I would love for them to be in the FCS and maybe UND can get a matchup with them again.

doolittledog
May 14th, 2011, 05:42 PM
It's interesting that many on here can't understand why an FCS school would want to move up to FBS and just be another school there and not be competitive and only play for a small bowl game when they could be a big dog and continually fight for national championships in FCS. Then they can't seem to understand why a school wouldn't want to move up to FCS from D2 and become just another school there and not be competitive when they could be a big dog and continually fight for national championships in D2. xchinscratchx

kperk014
May 14th, 2011, 06:19 PM
After winning 3 NCs in football, we still have great attendance to watch games that are over before they've even begun but there is very little enthusiasm. After winning 2 NCs in basketball, attendance is anemic at best compared to the days when we were winning those titles by dominating schools who are now in FCS or FBS. We've reached the point where winning at the D2 level means very little. We should have made the move back in '96 but hosting the NC game was a big factor in us staying put. Now it will cost a lot more to move up than it would have then.

I DO care about the other sports at UNA but let's face it, I'm in a minority. I think a move up in basketball would rekindle the kind of fire that caused 5,000 fans to crowd into a 4,000 seat venue time after time back when it meant more than it does now. I have spoken with coaches in some of the "other sports" and they were excited about the possibility of moving up. One of the reasons that I've heard more than once is the opportunity to keep a lot of the local athletes at home who go off to Jax St, Samford, Alabama A&M etc just because they are D1. There comes a time in life when you have to remove the training wheels and ride. I think we reached that time long ago.

kperk014
May 14th, 2011, 06:31 PM
It's interesting that many on here can't understand why an FCS school would want to move up to FBS and just be another school there and not be competitive and only play for a small bowl game when they could be a big dog and continually fight for national championships in FCS. Then they can't seem to understand why a school wouldn't want to move up to FCS from D2 and become just another school there and not be competitive when they could be a big dog and continually fight for national championships in D2. xchinscratchx

I agree. I think everyone should aspire to be the best they can be. I wonder if Appy fans rank their win over Michigan above their NCs? I would bet they do. I actually rank a loss as the second most important moment in UNA history. I knew we had a great football team in the '90s but it was hard to say just how good. We traveled up to Youngstown to play the Penguins who were in the middle of winning back-to-back NCs in D1AA and played them to a stand-still. We had a couple of chances to win before losing by a field goal 17-14. THAT'S how you measure a program, not by continually hammering Southern Arkansas and Arkansas-Monticello.

BearsCountry
May 16th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Say Tennessee State decides to move to SWAC, then UNA could slide into their spot easily. And for the OVC it might be the best thing. You would then have 9 football schools, which allows for an 8 game schedule. Perfect round robin play and even home/away conference schedule as well. 12 team conference for the other sports and divisional play would allow for easy travel and schedules as well.

TTUEagles
May 16th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I've been to well over 50-60 UNA football games in my liftetime and have watched enough FCS football in that same lifetime to know/believe that UNA could come right in and at the VERY least, be in the top 3-4 of the OVC. Basketball in the old Flowers Hall used to be something else, and even though this is a football board, the other sports have to be included in the discussion, but I forsee a lot of facility improvements will have to be made. (Braly Stadium can 'hang' with a lot/most FCS stadiums) If it were just football, I'd say make the move. I do believe going from D-II to FCS is like comparing apples & oranges when discussing moving from FCS to FBS. In both D-II and FCS the format is there to compete win a national title. Today, it's not there in FBS unless you are from the "Big 6" conferences.
As a TTU fan, I think Belmont instantly upgrades OVC basketball, but not much else (other sports), but it's going to make it harder to win the conference title, so that's a negative. It would be the same thing (for me) in football if UNA came aboard. (Can TTU please win SOMETHING, someday???)
As far as the OVC is concerned, I get the impression that the conference (and most fans on ovcfans.com) is trying to emphasize basketball way more than football as is evidenced partly by SIU-E and Belmont coming on...

kperk014
May 16th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I've been to well over 50-60 UNA football games in my liftetime and have watched enough FCS football in that same lifetime to know/believe that UNA could come right in and at the VERY least, be in the top 3-4 of the OVC. Basketball in the old Flowers Hall used to be something else, and even though this is a football board, the other sports have to be included in the discussion, but I forsee a lot of facility improvements will have to be made. (Braly Stadium can 'hang' with a lot/most FCS stadiums) If it were just football, I'd say make the move. I do believe going from D-II to FCS is like comparing apples & oranges when discussing moving from FCS to FBS. In both D-II and FCS the format is there to compete win a national title. Today, it's not there in FBS unless you are from the "Big 6" conferences.
As a TTU fan, I think Belmont instantly upgrades OVC basketball, but not much else (other sports), but it's going to make it harder to win the conference title, so that's a negative. It would be the same thing (for me) in football if UNA came aboard. (Can TTU please win SOMETHING, someday???)
As far as the OVC is concerned, I get the impression that the conference (and most fans on ovcfans.com) is trying to emphasize basketball way more than football as is evidenced partly by SIU-E and Belmont coming on...

I know some fans complain that we would never be able to win another NC in basketball so we shouldn't move. I ask them why Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Ole Miss, Mississippi State etc aren't scrambling to move to D2? They've never won it all and I'd be willing to bet they never will. Being able to compete for a championship in football and a chance to bring a higher level of play to town in the other sports is fine with me. Of course I want to win every game but it will not be the end of the world if we don't.

TexasTerror
May 16th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I know some fans complain that we would never be able to win another NC in basketball so we shouldn't move. I ask them why Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Ole Miss, Mississippi State etc aren't scrambling to move to D2? They've never won it all and I'd be willing to bet they never will. Being able to compete for a championship in football and a chance to bring a higher level of play to town in the other sports is fine with me. Of course I want to win every game but it will not be the end of the world if we don't.

Not sure how you can compare SEC schools' situation to that of North Alabama...

You'd be better off comparing North Alabama to schools like Charleston Southern or Nicholls State... who can not afford to compete at the Division I level, yet still do despite poor results on the playing field and no legitimate chance to even move up to a middle-of-the-road low-major program.

kperk014
May 16th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Not sure how you can compare SEC schools' situation to that of North Alabama...

You'd be better off comparing North Alabama to schools like Charleston Southern or Nicholls State... who can not afford to compete at the Division I level, yet still do despite poor results on the playing field and no legitimate chance to even move up to a middle-of-the-road low-major program.

I'm just saying if it's national championship or nothing, it seems every D1 school in the country that has never won one would want to drop down so they could and that would be just about everyone outside of the small club of Duke, UNC, UK, UConn and a few more. You don't HAVE TO win the national championship to have a good program. And what a wet blanket! How are you so positive we would be poorly funded if we move up? Wishful thinking?

kperk014
May 22nd, 2011, 06:00 PM
North Alabama adds RB Demetrius Goode from Alabama. He's already graduated and is very talented. He picked the wrong school because of Glen Coffee, Mark Ingram, Trent Richardson, Eddie Lacey etc. Janoris Jenkins is expected to choose UNA or West Georgia soon.

TexasTerror
May 22nd, 2011, 08:51 PM
UNA study indicates that they have to do the following, though no mention of a new student fee to make this financially sound of a goal that needs to be 'secured'...

securing monetary commitments for an application fee of

$1.5 million.

getting a bona fide offer to join a Division I multi-sport conference.

adding two sports to meet the NCAA sport sponsorship requirement of 14 sports.

awarding 50 percent of the maximum allowed scholarships in the 14 sports offered by the institution.

Further in article, talks of going from $4M budget to $8.4M budget. You will not get that without a student fee, which one individual has a plan for (but why plan it, when the students are against it?)? Also mentions an increase of $500k annually in giving - good luck!

This whole thing seems flawed and it does not seem all parties are comfortable with it... seems to be an even split - give or take a few - on both sides. This could be a very divisive issue, which could make that annual giving in private contributions hard to come by...

http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20110521/NEWS/110529973/1011/NEWS?Title=Pierce-8216-We-ve-got-to-make-a-decision-on-this-

BEAR
May 22nd, 2011, 10:41 PM
So is North Alabama still Division II?

TTUEagles
May 23rd, 2011, 08:07 AM

Yes.

kperk014
May 23rd, 2011, 12:38 PM
Further in article, talks of going from $4M budget to $8.4M budget. You will not get that without a student fee, which one individual has a plan for (but why plan it, when the students are against it?)? Also mentions an increase of $500k annually in giving - good luck!

Why should we let temporary students dictate what's best for the university in the long run? If they want tuition abolished, should we give in? We also have a head football coach who would be very adept at tapping into the major corporations in north Alabama. Are you UNA Tex?

kperk014
May 23rd, 2011, 12:43 PM

I know we always whipped you regularly but don't hold it against us. We promise not to play you anymore when we move up.

BEAR
May 23rd, 2011, 03:25 PM
I know we always whipped you regularly but don't hold it against us. We promise not to play you anymore when we move up.

So how's Division II? Oh wait, this is FCS Discussion.

Is UNA in the transition to division I? Have they started the ACTUAL transition?

This whole thread is division II news and should be treated EXACTLY the same way UCA's was treated when they announced an actual move to division I...deleted and told until they actually move to division I, keep this kind of stuff on the division II board.

Oh yeah, I just checked out the division II board. 37 pages of "TALK"..yet ZERO actual moves to division I. Sigh. Good luck with that.

kperk014
May 23rd, 2011, 06:07 PM
So how's Division II? Oh wait, this is FCS Discussion.

Is UNA in the transition to division I? Have they started the ACTUAL transition?

This whole thread is division II news and should be treated EXACTLY the same way UCA's was treated when they announced an actual move to division I...deleted and told until they actually move to division I, keep this kind of stuff on the division II board.

Oh yeah, I just checked out the division II board. 37 pages of "TALK"..yet ZERO actual moves to division I. Sigh. Good luck with that.

I'm sorry it's such a touchy subject. I've wondered why you respond the way you do. I guess I wasn't around back then.

TexasTerror
May 23rd, 2011, 06:38 PM
Why should we let temporary students dictate what's best for the university in the long run? If they want tuition abolished, should we give in? We also have a head football coach who would be very adept at tapping into the major corporations in north Alabama. Are you UNA Tex?

No, I am not 'UNA Tex' - people on this board know who I am and know that I have been around a long time.

Also, why would you base FBS on a football coach that is only temporary? He's obviously got quite the name recognition, but he will not be there forever. You have the same argument against that as you would the students. That's a lot of money that needs to be raised to cover the gap and while increased game guarantees and NCAA monies would likely account for $500k to $1M of it, you still need probably $3M more - which even then will not be completely competitive with similar FCS institutions.

UNA will likely not begin an actual transition soon - too much friction, as far as I can tell. The board deciding this is pretty split and the students - albeit temporary - are against a move to. Funny that you can harp on the students, because these are the alumni who will have to support the University in the years to come...

kperk014
May 23rd, 2011, 06:56 PM
No, I am not 'UNA Tex' - people on this board know who I am and know that I have been around a long time.

Also, why would you base FBS on a football coach that is only temporary? He's obviously got quite the name recognition, but he will not be there forever. You have the same argument against that as you would the students. That's a lot of money that needs to be raised to cover the gap and while increased game guarantees and NCAA monies would likely account for $500k to $1M of it, you still need probably $3M more - which even then will not be completely competitive with similar FCS institutions.

UNA will likely not begin an actual transition soon - too much friction, as far as I can tell. The board deciding this is pretty split and the students - albeit temporary - are against a move to. Funny that you can harp on the students, because these are the alumni who will have to support the University in the years to come...

To my knowledge, we weren't discussing a move to FBS. And just when did you and Terry discuss his future? What did he say about our chances at Jenkins? LOL As far as those thousand or so students who voted no, I doubt they know the difference between a football and a footstool. They aren't going to be donating money to athletics unless we get a rhythmic gymnastics team. Are you SURE you aren't UNA Tex? You sure seem like one in the same.

kperk014
May 23rd, 2011, 07:00 PM

And by the way, I would be willing to bet your school isn't turning a profit either. Why aren't you leading the charge down to D2? Just wondering. Of course you can't turn a profit there either.

BEAR
May 23rd, 2011, 07:40 PM
Nothing personal KPerk. It just seemed like this board was anti-fan of any D2 school and that was the welcome I got even when we made the official announcement. I only wanted to illustrate it to show the mods here how NOT to treat future FCS fans. I hope UNA does move to the FCS. Great program! I honestly say that. I couldn't stand getting kicked in the teeth twice a year with UNA and Valdosta but looking back at all the national championships the Gulf South won during that time period, I understand why a really good team from Arkansas with limited schollys just couldn't pull it off against the talent coming from Alabama and Georgia. Good luck with the move..or not move. :.)

kperk014
May 23rd, 2011, 08:28 PM
Nothing personal KPerk. It just seemed like this board was anti-fan of any D2 school and that was the welcome I got even when we made the official announcement. I only wanted to illustrate it to show the mods here how NOT to treat future FCS fans. I hope UNA does move to the FCS. Great program! I honestly say that. I couldn't stand getting kicked in the teeth twice a year with UNA and Valdosta but looking back at all the national championships the Gulf South won during that time period, I understand why a really good team from Arkansas with limited schollys just couldn't pull it off against the talent coming from Alabama and Georgia. Good luck with the move..or not move. :.)

The departure of UCA was a huge blow to the GSC. UNA may have had the edge on the scoreboard more often than not but the games were ALWAYS an entertaining fight to the finish. When you guys left, I had a feeling the other Arkansas schools would follow suit with the exception of going D1. I'm glad the mods haven't booted me because I have a genuine desire to see my school move up as they should have many years ago. Hosting the D2 Championship game has really been an anchor around our neck and now it will cost more to make the move than it would have years ago. Johnny Williams, a UNA grad who led Troy from D2 all the way to FBS, is the lead consultant on this. With the reputation he has built over the years, I just find it hard to believe that he would lead his alma mater to destruction and ruin his career at the same time. IMO, if Williams says go, we should go all out. If he says we can't do it, I won't like it but I trust him to know his stuff.

Redbirdz
May 23rd, 2011, 11:30 PM
Is Johnny Williams the new AD at Jacksonville State?

JSU02
May 23rd, 2011, 11:44 PM
Is Johnny Williams the new AD at Jacksonville State?

Dear Lord, please no!!!

TexasTerror
May 24th, 2011, 06:26 AM
To my knowledge, we weren't discussing a move to FBS. And just when did you and Terry discuss his future? What did he say about our chances at Jenkins? LOL As far as those thousand or so students who voted no, I doubt they know the difference between a football and a footstool. They aren't going to be donating money to athletics unless we get a rhythmic gymnastics team. Are you SURE you aren't UNA Tex? You sure seem like one in the same.

I was referring to FCS...

And all coaches are temporary, kperk. Terry Bowden is not going to last a lifetime and any monies he bring in do not equate to recurring revenues that the UNA budget people can count on annually to justify a move to FCS.

And by the way, I would be willing to bet your school isn't turning a profit either. Why aren't you leading the charge down to D2? Just wondering. Of course you can't turn a profit there either.

You can 'split even' at the Division I or Division II or any other level.

The problem with being Division I for schools at the low levels of the classification is coming up with the funds to make one competitive. Nicholls State has the lowest budget in the Southland Conference, are literally hanging on to Division I by a thread (they have the minimum 14 sports) and have perhaps won five league title since 1991-92 across all the major team sports (FB, MBB, WBB, Base, Soft, WSoc). Their basketball and football teams literally have to 'whore' themselves out to stay at the Division I level.

Yes, a majority of the SWAC does the same thing, but they are all contained within the same league which makes it possible for a school like Miss. Valley State with their budget that does not exceed $4M to remain a viable Division I school, albeit only in that league. Nicholls finds itself with schools approaching 2x and 3x their budget. That's not Division I and unless UNA can come up with substantial revenues to count on annually - whether it student fee increase or a huge private donation that endows such a move - you guys are not moving. The friction is not going to allow this to happen as the percentage FOR and percentage AGAINST are pretty 'equal'.

doolittledog
May 24th, 2011, 06:44 AM
I go to many different boards. General rule of thumb...FBS regulars don't want little FCS schools moving up, and wouldn't mind getting rid of some WAC and Sun Belt types...FCS regulars can't stand FBS fans that think of FCS as a lower division and don't like the idea of small school D2's wanting to move up to the big time FCS...D2 regulars think D2 and FCS is pretty similar football and wish those knuckleheads in the NAIA and D3 would just stay the heck away from D2 because there are already too many D2 schools...D3 regulars tire of D2 fans saying they are better because they offer scholarships when the truth is most D3 schools can offer better finantial aid packages so students can go for less out of pocket than that if that student goes D2 and gets a $1,000 football scholarship...D3 regulars also get upset at those that think D3 is glorified intramurals since they don't get scholarships, it's actually pretty good football and some D1 transfers end up not making all-conference and some don't even start.

kperk014
May 24th, 2011, 01:33 PM
I was referring to FCS...

And all coaches are temporary, kperk. Terry Bowden is not going to last a lifetime and any monies he bring in do not equate to recurring revenues that the UNA budget people can count on annually to justify a move to FCS.

You can 'split even' at the Division I or Division II or any other level.

The problem with being Division I for schools at the low levels of the classification is coming up with the funds to make one competitive. Nicholls State has the lowest budget in the Southland Conference, are literally hanging on to Division I by a thread (they have the minimum 14 sports) and have perhaps won five league title since 1991-92 across all the major team sports (FB, MBB, WBB, Base, Soft, WSoc). Their basketball and football teams literally have to 'whore' themselves out to stay at the Division I level.

Yes, a majority of the SWAC does the same thing, but they are all contained within the same league which makes it possible for a school like Miss. Valley State with their budget that does not exceed $4M to remain a viable Division I school, albeit only in that league. Nicholls finds itself with schools approaching 2x and 3x their budget. That's not Division I and unless UNA can come up with substantial revenues to count on annually - whether it student fee increase or a huge private donation that endows such a move - you guys are not moving. The friction is not going to allow this to happen as the percentage FOR and percentage AGAINST are pretty 'equal'.

I would be willing to bet you are wrong about Bowden, UNA Tex. He has too much baggage to be offered a top D1 job. You know that's true because with his record at Auburn, he wouldn't have been out of coaching for 10 years. I think he came here with the intention of building a good D1 program and the fact that he's no longer 30 years old tells me he'll be here for quite some time. As far as Nicholls State, who said we are Nicholls State?

kperk014
May 24th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I go to many different boards. General rule of thumb...FBS regulars don't want little FCS schools moving up, and wouldn't mind getting rid of some WAC and Sun Belt types...FCS regulars can't stand FBS fans that think of FCS as a lower division and don't like the idea of small school D2's wanting to move up to the big time FCS...D2 regulars think D2 and FCS is pretty similar football and wish those knuckleheads in the NAIA and D3 would just stay the heck away from D2 because there are already too many D2 schools...D3 regulars tire of D2 fans saying they are better because they offer scholarships when the truth is most D3 schools can offer better finantial aid packages so students can go for less out of pocket than that if that student goes D2 and gets a $1,000 football scholarship...D3 regulars also get upset at those that think D3 is glorified intramurals since they don't get scholarships, it's actually pretty good football and some D1 transfers end up not making all-conference and some don't even start.

No doubt.

kperk014
May 24th, 2011, 10:20 PM
http://www.thepostsearchlight.com/2011/05/24/williams-transferring-to-north-alabama/

With the addition of Nick Williams from Georgia, this probably means moving Lucas Darr to LB. Darr is a heavy hitter with the speed to cover backs and tight ends on pass patterns. Teaming Williams with Rod Woodson at safety will give opposing receivers many headaches coming across the middle. Still no word on adding Janoris Jenkins to the secondary.

kperk014
May 25th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Bama RB Demetrius Goode transfers to North Alabama Lions and as with a large portion of our transfers, he's already gotten his degree:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/710643-alabama-football-tide-running-back-tranfers-for-his-sr-season-to-get-runs?search_query=demetrius%20goode

TheBisonator
May 25th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I just think that UNA would do well in the OVC, and they most likely will be in better shape in the OVC than they are now in the GSC.

But I wonder if they will get an invite now that Belmont was invited...

Redhawk2010
May 25th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I just think that UNA would do well in the OVC, and they most likely will be in better shape in the OVC than they are now in the GSC.

But I wonder if they will get an invite now that Belmont was invited...

If (when?) Jacksonville State leaves, I think UNA would be a likely candidate to come to the OVC. Who else would the OVC add? Frankly, I wish all of our conference schools would participate in football..

kperk014
May 25th, 2011, 08:59 PM
It seems like the OVC would want an even number of football-playing schools. I don't think it matters as much for basketball. Just look at the Big East.

TexasTerror
May 25th, 2011, 09:05 PM
It seems like the OVC would want an even number of football-playing schools. I don't think it matters as much for basketball. Just look at the Big East.

Not necessarily...

I've always felt that nine was a great number for football. Why? Four home and four away games guaranteed annually with three OOC games. It's pretty solid format. You really do not want to alternate three home and four road, etc.

If (when?) Jacksonville State leaves, I think UNA would be a likely candidate to come to the OVC. Who else would the OVC add? Frankly, I wish all of our conference schools would participate in football..

Where is Jax State going to end up?

I think Jax State is going to need a pretty solid wave of realignment to get the 'call up' because even a desperate WAC is not that desperate.

kperk014
May 25th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Not necessarily...

I've always felt that nine was a great number for football. Why? Four home and four away games guaranteed annually with three OOC games. It's pretty solid format. You really do not want to alternate three home and four road, etc.

:D

Redbirdz
May 25th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man.

kperk014
May 25th, 2011, 10:45 PM
"Fill your hands..."....Did they use those lines in the remake?

Purple Pride
June 3rd, 2011, 05:24 PM
TimesDaily Editor makes interesting pitch.

http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20...ix-the-problem

Excerpt:

If you want to be proactive, fix the problem instead of following other schools that have made the move. Universities and colleges are the bosses, in theory, of NCAA officials. UNA and the dozens of other schools wanting to compete in the Football Championship Series but remain Division II in other sports should force the NCAA to set it up that way.

Attacking the problem at the core makes more sense than debating an issue to death.

TexasTerror
June 3rd, 2011, 05:40 PM
FYI - working link...

http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20110529/NEWS/110529801/1031?Title=Stop-the-debate-fix-the-problem

Excerpt:

If you want to be proactive, fix the problem instead of following other schools that have made the move. Universities and colleges are the bosses, in theory, of NCAA officials. UNA and the dozens of other schools wanting to compete in the Football Championship Series but remain Division II in other sports should force the NCAA to set it up that way.

Isn't that the whole issue with the non-scholarship football programs (i.e. Dayton, Drake) that were forced from Division III into Division I? By being a Division I football institution and keeping the other sports in Division II, those other institutions would benefit significantly... from name alone.

And it would kind of go against the principles of Division II... which seemingly is a very proud, unique group.

kperk014
June 12th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Well tomorrow is the big day. The pro-growth people will go up against the kind of people who, if they had their way, would do away with all athletics so they could draw larger pay checks themselves. You know the kind of people I'm talking about. Every school has them.

TexasTerror
June 12th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Well tomorrow is the big day. The pro-growth people will go up against the kind of people who, if they had their way, would do away with all athletics so they could draw larger pay checks themselves. You know the kind of people I'm talking about. Every school has them.

Has the group making a decision on the direction of the North Alabama athletic program figured out the most important question? That question being, "where is the money?" to pay the application fee and get their budget to a point where they are just not floating around on the 'status quo' and can accomplish some success in the OVC?

TTUEagles
June 12th, 2011, 06:18 PM
I heard from two TECH athletic Dept. officials this weekend and UNA "wants to be in the OVC," but declined to play at TTU for ~ $30K on one of their/TTU's open dates.

TexasTerror
June 12th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I heard from two TECH athletic Dept. officials this weekend and UNA "wants to be in the OVC," but declined to play at TTU for ~ $30K on one of their/TTU's open dates.

The 'going rate' for Div II schools has increased...

And while UNA wants to be in the Ohio Valley Conference - again, where is the money? No one has presented the money necessary to make this move.

kperk014
June 13th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I would think they have UNA Tex. If not, this thread wouldn't be here, would it?

TexasTerror
June 13th, 2011, 10:28 AM
I would think they have UNA Tex. If not, this thread wouldn't be here, would it?

I'm not 'UNA Tex' - I've been on this board a long time. I'm sure others can vouch...

Again - even the trustees are questioning the money and it does not seem like anyone can vouch for a legitimate source to make up for the shortcomings financially... which even then are not adequate to sustain any kind of success.

kperk014
June 13th, 2011, 10:31 AM

UNA hasn't had an open date in about 4 years and it is true we do have one this year. As I said before, the last time we played a playoff bound FCS team, we won but the NCAA used that game to screw us out of a home game in the playoffs and probably cost us a national championship that year. Personally I would have enjoyed the trip north but when I think about the Lions once again looking at possibly playing 15 consecutive weekends, maybe that open date will work in our favor.

TTUEagles
June 13th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Yes, but Virginia Union (D-II) was also given that same deal and turned TTU down. Both UNA's and V. Union's open dates match up and it was told to TTU that VU and UNA were in talks about playing that weekend.

kperk014
June 13th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Yes, but Virginia Union (D-II) was also given that same deal and turned TTU down. Both UNA's and V. Union's open dates open up and it was told to TTU that VU and UNA were in talks about playing that weekend.

"UNA hasn't had an open date in about 4 years and it is true we do have one this year. As I said before, the last time we played a playoff bound FCS team, we won but the NCAA used that game to screw us out of a home game in the playoffs and probably cost us a national championship that year."

The reason it cost us was we played a game out of our division. You wouldn't think beating an FCS playoff team on the road would hurt you but it did. If we had played a D2 Sisters of the Poor, we probably would have won our 4th national championship. We haven't taken any chances since and we would like to win one more before we go so it's either D2 or nothing.

TTUEagles
June 13th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be argumentative - just curious: how would winning a game in a division above yours, count against you? That makes zero sense to me...Weren't there equal records between UNA and one of the Dakotas schools that year? Does $$ bidding affect home playoff games, etc.? I just can't fathom why upsetting a higher level school would keep you from getting a home playoff game.
Again, I like UNA - fond memories of many, many athletic events watched there as a kid - I'm just frustrated that TTU cannot get their 11th game and can't see how a D-II school would turn down $$ and another game. I think UNA would probably be favored even against TTU. It's a win-win for UNA or VA Union. Losing to and FCS school would not hinder playoff chances anymore than not playing that week. (most of my blame, though, is still with TTU, not UNA not getting this done back in the winter).

Redhawk2010
June 13th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be argumentative - just curious: how would winning a game in a division above yours, count against you? That makes zero sense to me...Weren't there equal records between UNA and one of the Dakotas schools that year? Does $$ bidding affect home playoff games, etc.? I just can't fathom why upsetting a higher level school would keep you from getting a home playoff game.
Again, I like UNA - fond memories of many, many athletic events watched there as a kid - I'm just frustrated that TTU cannot get their 11th game and can't see how a D-II school would turn down $$ and another game. I think UNA would probably be favored even against TTU. It's a win-win for UNA or VA Union. Losing to and FCS school would not hinder playoff chances anymore than not playing that week. (most of my blame, though, is still with TTU, not UNA not getting this done back in the winter).

$30,000 really isn't that much money. If they can pick up a DII game why should they play up for that amount of money? Maybe TTU can find a BCS school who will give them $100k to play?

kperk014
June 13th, 2011, 08:36 PM

You have to remember, we ARE talking about the NCAA you know. They gave the game to North Dakota even though we were undefeated and #2 in the nation because we played ONE fewer D2 game than they and the rest is history. It put quite a damper on playing up. If we got dumped on for winning, just think how bad they would dump on us if we lose.

kperk014
June 13th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I think this article shows why UNA would be beneficial to the OVC as far as national exposure in football:

http://atlanta.sbnation.com/2011/6/13/2221903/north-alabama-football-division-i-

JSU02
June 13th, 2011, 09:42 PM
The OVC needs as much football exposure as it can get, especially after the last two football-less additions.

kperk014
June 15th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Two big questions answered. UNA IS moving to FCS and......
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-06-14/janoris-jenkins-will-play-senior-year-at-north-alabama-florida-gators

Adding Jenkins to a secondary of Rod Woodson-Bama, Bryan Thomas-Florida, Nick Williams-UGA, Lucas Darr-South Florida, and our own Svante Davenport will make it tough on opponents.

eiu1999
June 15th, 2011, 02:39 PM
The OVC needs as much football exposure as it can get, especially after the last two football-less additions.

Winning playoff games would help.

kperk014
June 15th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Winning playoff games would help.

Eastern Illinois fan? I remember yall clobbering us back in 1980 with the coach who stayed in the press box. That was our first year in the playoffs and that was our first lesson in losing.

eiu1999
June 15th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Eastern Illinois fan? I remember yall clobbering us back in 1980 with the coach who stayed in the press box. That was our first year in the playoffs and that was our first lesson in losing.

Yes I am, but I was a bit young back then.

kperk014
June 15th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Yes I am, but I was a bit young back then.

Good! LOL It wasn't fun for us.

eiu1999
June 15th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Good! LOL It wasn't fun for us.

I believe that was the last year EIU was D2.

kperk014
June 15th, 2011, 03:35 PM
I believe that was the last year EIU was D2.

Sure was. EIU was already stocked with d1 players so it didn't come as a big surprise that we lost but still it was disappointing.

eiu1999
June 15th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Sure was. EIU was already stocked with d1 players so it didn't come as a big surprise that we lost but still it was disappointing.

Probably had more talent back then than we do now.

BEAR
June 15th, 2011, 05:21 PM
The only thing I remember about UNA was getting waxed yearly and some kid named "Hakuna Matata" kicking a game winning field goal. xlolx

kperk014
June 15th, 2011, 06:18 PM
The only thing I remember about UNA was getting waxed yearly and some kid named "Hakuna Matata" kicking a game winning field goal. xlolx

Blast from the past! I think it was Yuta Fakuda or something like that. We just called him Utah. He was a good little kicker. Not a lot of range but pretty accurate. I always enjoyed watching him bow to everyone in the Japanese custom.

BEAR
June 15th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Blast from the past! I think it was Yuta Fakuda or something like that. We just called him Utah. He was a good little kicker. Not a lot of range but pretty accurate. I always enjoyed watching him bow to everyone in the Japanese custom.

That's it! xlolx I thought you couldn't have two teams more evenly matched than those two teams that year. UCA won the regular season championship and in GSC fashion, had to play UNA in the playoffs. Didn't know UNA lost that game with the game winning field goal..(Dear Associated Press..game winning field goal by Hakuna Matata xlolx ) What's worse is the fact your QB and one other player were former UCA players! Talk about aiding the enemy! LOL

Arkansas needed overtime to decide a winner. But unlike their last meeting, Yuta Fukuda made a 45-yard field goal in the extra period and gave his team a victory.

North Alabama advances to the NCAA Division II semifinal against Northwest Missouri. Central Arkansas gets to reflect on the 41-38 third-round loss.

Fukuda, a walk-on transfer student from Japan, kicked a 45-yard field goal to give the Lions the overtime loss at Estes Stadium in Conway.

The game was the last one for UCA in Division II. The Bears move up next year to NCAA Division I-AA as members of the Southland Conference.

eiu1999
June 15th, 2011, 08:15 PM

Sounds kinda funny.

kperk014
June 16th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Fukuda, a walk-on transfer student from Japan, kicked a 45-yard field goal

WOW! I had forgotten it was a 45 yarder. He normally didn't have that kind of range so that was bad for UCA. It was one of those situations where you say "He can't make it from there" and then "Well I'll be 'insert favorite term'."

UNAPride
June 17th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Sounds kinda funny.

He was an interesting addition to the team a few years back. A soccer player turned kicker. If my memory is right he'd never played organized football until UNA. Then he was kicking game winners, getting conference honors and such. Randomly, wasn't our starter the next year. I think that's when we got Cal's kicker in his fifth year. Now that kid was cool too. His "Bama Tom" blog was VERY funny!

eiu1999
June 17th, 2011, 01:15 PM
He was an interesting addition to the team a few years back. A soccer player turned kicker. If my memory is right he'd never played organized football until UNA. Then he was kicking game winners, getting conference honors and such. Randomly, wasn't our starter the next year. I think that's when we got Cal's kicker in his fifth year. Now that kid was cool too. His "Bama Tom" blog was VERY funny!

Well, as long as he helped you win.

UNAPride
June 17th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Oh yes. I meant that very positive. Just meant his back story and being part of UNA's large international population was cool to have on the team. And yes, he sure helped out big in that UCA playoff game.

eiu1999
June 17th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Oh yes. I meant that very positive. Just meant his back story and being part of UNA's large international population was cool to have on the team. And yes, he sure helped out big in that UCA playoff game.

Completely understood.

UNAPride
June 17th, 2011, 01:42 PM
But since they were mentioned here are two cool articles. Other than the SFGate saying we were non-scholarship, they are good. I also found it funny that both used the word wry. Is that something with kickers? lol.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/19/sports/ncaafootball/19college.html

http://articles.sfgate.com/2008-12-10/sports/17130104_1_north-alabama-nfl-job-cal-history

eiu1999
June 17th, 2011, 02:01 PM
But since they were mentioned here are two cool articles. Other than the SFGate saying we were non-scholarship, they are good. I also found it funny that both used the word wry. Is that something with kickers? lol.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/19/sports/ncaafootball/19college.html

http://articles.sfgate.com/2008-12-10/sports/17130104_1_north-alabama-nfl-job-cal-history

Nice articles.

dgtw
June 17th, 2011, 07:49 PM

After getting fired from his previous job, that coach was replaced by who.......?

kperk014
June 17th, 2011, 10:43 PM
After getting fired from his previous job, that coach was replaced by who.......?

Alex, who was Bobby Bowden?

dgtw
June 18th, 2011, 09:04 AM
I grw up in Florence and I'm glad to see them make this move. I think they should have done it 20 years ago when Jax St., Troy and UT-Martin were leaving Division II.

While it will be costly, the slow death of Division II football in the GSC footprint has forced the move.

kperk014
June 18th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I grw up in Florence and I'm glad to see them make this move. I think they should have done it 20 years ago when Jax St., Troy and UT-Martin were leaving Division II.

While it will be costly, the slow death of Division II football in the GSC footprint has forced the move.

Correct but like you said, we should have done this years ago. Now it will cost a lot more but it's something we should do and aspire to go all out in this move. This could be the most exciting time in UNA history if everyone will get on board instead of grinding their little axes.

TexasTerror
June 18th, 2011, 07:49 PM

The league is adding Shorter. It seems New Orleans and West Florida want to add football with Florida Tech a possibility as an affiliate member. That's four schools, but outside of Shorter, none of those schools have hit the GSC field yet. Think Florida Tech is a realistic addition with the other two likely in place by '15 or '16.

Do agree that UNA should have left years ago... but now with being 'left behind', they have developed a 'niche' and some of those rivalries have worn off. With Troy at FBS and Jacksonville State likely not far behind, UNA will once more be 'left behind'.

kperk014
June 18th, 2011, 08:00 PM
The league is adding Shorter. It seems New Orleans and West Florida want to add football with Florida Tech a possibility as an affiliate member. That's four schools, but outside of Shorter, none of those schools have hit the GSC field yet. Think Florida Tech is a realistic addition with the other two likely in place by '15 or '16.

Do agree that UNA should have left years ago... but now with being 'left behind', they have developed a 'niche' and some of those rivalries have worn off. With Troy at FBS and Jacksonville State likely not far behind, UNA will once more be 'left behind'.

New Orleans will never have football in the GSC. It could be years before West Florida adds it and by then they will be DI. We won't be left behind if JSU leaves. There will still be 20 DI schools within a 1 to 4 hour drive including JSU. We'll be just fine.

dgtw
June 18th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Shorter is a reasonable addition, but I don't know how hard moving up from NAIA will be. UNO doesn't seem to know what they want to do. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on West Florida or Florida Tech.

Going to FCS also gives you nearby non conference games with Samford and Alabama A&M. Much better than having to go to the Jerry Bowl for a game. You could also pick up a money game with Memphis, UAB or a Mississippi school with a reasonable driving distance.

Speaking of left behind, I do feel bad for the remaining GSC football schools. Delta State could join that league with the Arkansas schools, but I don't know about the others.

TexasTerror
June 18th, 2011, 09:02 PM
New Orleans will never have football in the GSC. It could be years before West Florida adds it and by then they will be DI. We won't be left behind if JSU leaves. There will still be 20 DI schools within a 1 to 4 hour drive including JSU. We'll be just fine.

If Jacksonville State joins Troy in FBS - those are two schools that UNA aspired to be equal with once more that will be at a higher level. What schools in the OVC or in FCS does UNA's fan base look forward to establishing football?

kperk014
June 18th, 2011, 09:10 PM
If Jacksonville State joins Troy in FBS - those are two schools that UNA aspired to be equal with once more that will be at a higher level. What schools in the OVC or in FCS does UNA's fan base look forward to establishing football?

I've never seen anyone try to be more of a wet blanket....oh wait, UNA Tex. LOL We'll take UT-Martin, Tenn Tech, Tenn State, Murray State as close road games over the muleriders, wonderboys, boll weevils and whatever Shorter is any day.

kperk014
June 18th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Shorter is a reasonable addition, but I don't know how hard moving up from NAIA will be. UNO doesn't seem to know what they want to do. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on West Florida or Florida Tech.

Going to FCS also gives you nearby non conference games with Samford and Alabama A&M. Much better than having to go to the Jerry Bowl for a game. You could also pick up a money game with Memphis, UAB or a Mississippi school with a reasonable driving distance.

Speaking of left behind, I do feel bad for the remaining GSC football schools. Delta State could join that league with the Arkansas schools, but I don't know about the others.

I do too but we had to do what's best for us. Let's face it, D2 in the southeast is DEAD no matter how badly some posters refuse to see that. I have heard that UNA may be working on a deal with Vandy for our first game as a member of the FCS. That will be a lot more interesting, win or lose, than Concordia.

dgtw
June 18th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I was living out of state when all the Arkansas schools joined. Was it something they did just to plug holes after JSU and the other original GSC teams left? It seems they became something of a lower level Big East. Way too many teams that were too spread out and half of them not playing football.

I agree DII has no future and they need to get out before it is too late. They certainly can't stand on sentiment regarding the Georgia schools, Delta and Livingston. Even with Shorter we have a six team football league and will still struggle to find five OOC games every year.

kperk014
June 18th, 2011, 09:47 PM
I was living out of state when all the Arkansas schools joined. Was it something they did just to plug holes after JSU and the other original GSC teams left? It seems they became something of a lower level Big East. Way too many teams that were too spread out and half of them not playing football.

I agree DII has no future and they need to get out before it is too late. They certainly can't stand on sentiment regarding the Georgia schools, Delta and Livingston. Even with Shorter we have a six team football league and will still struggle to find five OOC games every year.

It was the Arky schools or no one. At one time we had 17 schools in the GSC! Little Big East. LOL Of course UCA has made a nice transition to FCS and a couple of the others would have decent teams once in a while but it was nothing like when JSU, Troy, UT-M, SE Louisiana, Nichols State and Northwestern State were in the conference. Heck the commish was willing to loan money to Lambuth so they could get in even though they were on the verge of bankruptcy.

kperk014
June 22nd, 2011, 08:46 PM
It's official. Janoris Jenkins joins an already awesome secondary. I wouldn't mind being defensive backs coach, Chris Willis!
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6694712&campaign=rss&source=NCFHeadlines

kperk014
June 25th, 2011, 04:55 PM
UNA added a good MLB to fill that spot until our young guys mature. Marcus Dowtin: “I’m a wild dude on the field,” he said. “I love to hit and play the game with a lot of intensity. I want to lead by example and get everybody excited."
http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20110625/SPORTS40/110629890?Title=Ex-Georgia-linebacker-becomes-Lion