PDA

View Full Version : 2012 UND at Eastern Washington..need trip help?

darell1976
May 12th, 2011, 10:41 AM
My son (Bison fan) wants to see the "red" field and of course I love the Sioux they play in Cheney on Oct. 6th, 2012 so what would be cheaper/or just better to fly to Spokane (for me it would be Fargo to Denver to Spokane) or to drive across ND, MT, ID into Cheney with gas prices to probably be 4-5 bucks by then. I looked at Orbiz and prices now are 400-500 bucks a person.

JSUBison
May 12th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I'd tell you to take the Empire Builder if you have enough time. Prices would probably be half of what flying would be. But on the other hand, I'm not sure if that would be an option due to the Devils Lake situation.

darell1976
May 12th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I'd tell you to take the Empire Builder if you have enough time. Prices would probably be half of what flying would be. But on the other hand, I'm not sure if that would be an option due to the Devils Lake situation.

Just checked and just plotted a couple dates and for 1 adult and 1 child its 200 bucks. But yeah unless Devils Lake gets the outlet done and releases water it may not be an option.

Silenoz
May 12th, 2011, 11:47 AM
There is no way I'd make that drive... unless you view it as an opportunity for some bonding time

darell1976
May 12th, 2011, 11:56 AM
There is no way I'd make that drive... unless you view it as an opportunity for some bonding time

At least the scenery will be nice (once you leave ND).

PantherRob82
May 12th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I've driven from Iowa through SD, WY, MT, ID, and OR. Drove straight through to Missoula, then made Portland the second day. I can't imagine ND-Cheney is that bad of a haul if you are used to road trips.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 12th, 2011, 03:10 PM
At least the scenery will be nice (once you leave ND).

Until you get to the other side of Billings it's gonna be similar scenery to ND.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 12th, 2011, 03:10 PM
I've driven from Iowa through SD, WY, MT, ID, and OR. Drove straight through to Missoula, then made Portland the second day. I can't imagine ND-Cheney is that bad of a haul if you are used to road trips.

Rob, great to see ya!

Professor Chaos
May 12th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Bring sunglasses

Silenoz
May 12th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Until you get to the other side of Billings it's gonna be similar scenery to ND.

This

From about Drummond (50 miles east of Missoula) to Spokane is, for the most part, really beautiful. Bozeman to Drummond less so. Bozeman to Billings even less so. Billings to ND yet even more less so.

darell1976
May 12th, 2011, 07:34 PM
This

From about Drummond (50 miles east of Missoula) to Spokane is, for the most part, really beautiful. Bozeman to Drummond less so. Bozeman to Billings even less so. Billings to ND yet even more less so.

Its gotta be better than farm on the left and farm on the right with nothing but flatland in front of you. I like the hills of western ND so I can imagine as you get to the Rockies what that looks like.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 12th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I'd rent an economy car and drive it. There's nothing better than a good roadtrip, especially through scenic territory.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 12th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Its gotta be better than farm on the left and farm on the right with nothing but flatland in front of you. I like the hills of western ND so I can imagine as you get to the Rockies what that looks like.

After Billings yes...before Billings it is farmland left, right, and long flat strips of highway.

PantherRob82
May 13th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Rob, great to see ya!

Yeah, school is a pain. Keeping me real busy. Hope to see you guys at Red's this summer or fall.

Walkon79
May 13th, 2011, 01:39 PM
After Billings yes...before Billings it is farmland left, right, and long flat strips of highway.

Have you ever been to Miles City or Glendive? Flat and Farmland? Not really in Southeastern Montana.

darell1976
May 13th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Have you ever been to Miles City or Glendive? Flat and Farmland? Not really in Southeastern Montana.

The only part of ND that is not flat is the badlands in the SW and some hills here and there in little parts of the state or else its a pancake especially here in the valley.

Walkon79
May 13th, 2011, 02:58 PM
The only part of ND that is not flat is the badlands in the SW and some hills here and there in little parts of the state or else its a pancake especially here in the valley.

I know. Drove from Northeast MT to Fargo a few years ago. Once you get past Dickinson it's got to be THE most boring drive in the country!

Walkon79
May 13th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Dickinson to Cheney would be a neat drive. Lots of different landscapes and a couple of spectacular mountain passes. Yellowstone River valley is cool in the Fall. Then you cross over Bozeman pass into the Gallatin Valley, the over the Divide into the Clarks Fork drainage, all the way to the Idaho line through Missoula. Then it's over Lookout Pass into the Idaho panhandle, which is also amazing in the Fall.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 13th, 2011, 03:30 PM

Yes, many times. I was born in Sidney and have lots of family back that direction. I don't think you get the point I was making. Overall, until you get to Billings it's pretty similar to most of what he is coming from. If you are used to that terrain and aren't thrilled by it then it will not shake him up emotionally to go through it. It's the opposite for me. I see mountains all the time so when I got back to Eastern MT I love seeing the fields or Beets, Corn, Wheat, Tractors, Grain Silos, Combines, Minneapolis Molines, etc...