PDA

View Full Version : Portland State adds 3rd I-A

PDXCat
March 7th, 2006, 09:19 AM
PSU has New Mexico (no big deal) and 2 Pac 10 schools, Cal and now Oregon. They must carry the entire athletic budget or they have a sure fire plan to stay out of the playoffs because there is no way they run the table in the Big Sky.

slostang
March 7th, 2006, 09:26 AM
That makes it a tough road to make the playoffs. At least they can by winning the Big Sky.

TexasTerror
March 7th, 2006, 09:59 AM
So, we have how many schools with three I-As?

NW St, Portland St and Southeastern Louisiana...

Ronbo
March 7th, 2006, 10:01 AM
PSU has New Mexico (no big deal) and 2 Pac 10 schools, Cal and now Oregon. They must carry the entire athletic budget or they have a sure fire plan to stay out of the playoffs because there is no way they run the table in the Big Sky.

Wow, New Mexico is no big deal? They are one of the top MWC teams year in and year out. Portland starts the season 0-3. What's going on in Portland? They had revenues of $482,000 in 2004 (reporting period 7-1-2004 to 6-30-2005) and expenses of $2,430,000. That's a loss of almost $2 million in football. They are after the paydays. They'll probably get about $900,000 from the three games.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ncaabasketball/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1141707310221130.xml&coll=7

PDXCat
March 7th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Wow, New Mexico is no big deal? They are one of the top MWC teams year in and year out. Portland starts the season 0-3. What's going on in Portland? They had revenues of $482,000 in 2005 and expenses of $2,430,000. That's a loss of almost $2 million in football. They are after the paydays. They'll probably get about $900,000 from the three games.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ncaabasketball/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1141707310221130.xml&coll=7
I wasn't trying to slam New Mexico - only saying that New Mexico is the kind of opponent that PSU could sort of sneak up on, the Mountain West, as good as it is, isn't the Pac 10.

Ronbo
March 7th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Let's see New Mexico beat Missouri, Utah, San Diego St, Wyoming, UNLV, and New Mexico St in 2005. We aren't talking about San Jose State here, the Lobos win easy. They are on par with Boise St., Fresno State, Utah, and BYU.

aggie6thman
March 7th, 2006, 11:03 AM
I think PSU is trying to survive, not make it to the playoffs. Does anyone go to their games at PGE Park?

PDXCat
March 7th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Let's see New Mexico beat Missouri, Utah, San Diego St, Wyoming, UNLV, and New Mexico St in 2005. We aren't talking about San Jose State here, the Lobos win easy. They are on par with Boise St., Fresno State, Utah, and BYU.

Listen Ronnie, my last comment on this, as I said earlier, the Mountain West, as good as it is, isn't the Pac 10. Will you dispute that? That was my only point. Geez, you'd swear I said something disparaging about the griz - maybe you're a closet Lobo fan as well?

TexasTerror
March 7th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Listen Ronnie, my last comment on this, as I said earlier, the Mountain West, as good as it is, isn't the Pac 10. Will you dispute that? That was my only point. Geez, you'd swear I said something disparaging about the griz - maybe you're a closet Lobo fan as well?

New Mexico, if in the Pac-10 would be a middle of the pack team...no questions asked. You are criticizing a conference, but all you need to do is look at the team. New Mexico is no slouch, nothing like their in-state rival New Mexico State of the WAC...

mainejeff
March 7th, 2006, 11:58 AM
This is great news for other teams! The field of playoff contenders keeps shrinking.

dbackjon
March 7th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Wow - tough break for Portland St.

WYOBISONMAN
March 7th, 2006, 01:29 PM
This will be a rough season for Portland State. I am glad NDSU is not having to schedule so many DI-A teams. I think it makes for some huge injury risks.....

McNeese72
March 7th, 2006, 02:01 PM
So, we have how many schools with three I-As?

NW St, Portland St and Southeastern Louisiana...

And now since Portland St. backed out of the game with us down here to add Oregon, McNeese may be forced to play another I-A, if we can't find a I-AA to play here or a Div II.

Doc

NorthDakotaBison
March 7th, 2006, 02:11 PM
What are the Vikings trying to do?

Three I-As is foolhearty, in my opinion.

Unless they are going to save their money, eliminate football, and try to buy into the Big West, their athletic department just signed their death warrant.

ucdtim17
March 7th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Portland swooped in on the potential UCD-Cal game that was everything but a done deal and now they have 3 I-A games and we have none. Great. Maybe Sacramento City College has an open date

aggie6thman
March 7th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Maybe Sacramento City College has an open date

We already play them on November 18 at our place. :nod:

JALMOND
March 8th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Wow, New Mexico is no big deal? They are one of the top MWC teams year in and year out. Portland starts the season 0-3. What's going on in Portland? They had revenues of $482,000 in 2004 (reporting period 7-1-2004 to 6-30-2005) and expenses of $2,430,000. That's a loss of almost $2 million in football. They are after the paydays. They'll probably get about $900,000 from the three games.

As per the Oregonian 3-7-06---
PSU's money games

@ New Mexico $200,000
@ Cal $300,000
@ Oregon $450,000
---------
Total revenue $950,000

Buyouts
S Oregon $100,000
@ McNeese $100,000
--------
$200,000

Net profit $750,000

(not having to go play in Lake Charles---priceless)

Seven road games, four home games, three I-a's, two BCS teams, (yikes). I guess we're the first team out of the playoffs. Well, no one can say we didn't schedule anyone. I wonder how Coastal would do with that schedule.

Tod
March 8th, 2006, 02:47 AM
As per the Oregonian 3-7-06---
PSU's money games

@ New Mexico $200,000
@ Cal $300,000
@ Oregon $450,000
---------
Total revenue $950,000

Buyouts
S Oregon $100,000
@ McNeese $100,000
--------
$200,000

Net profit $750,000

Seven road games, four home games, three I-a's, two BCS teams, (yikes). I guess we're the first team out of the playoffs. Well, no one can say we didn't schedule anyone. I wonder how Coastal would do with that schedule.

Again, JALMOND, if you can make it down for the UNM game, I'll make sure you're taken care of. :nod: :nod:

15 minutes from my house...

SochorField
March 8th, 2006, 05:08 PM
JALMOND-

Do you know if Portland State is having money problems? This schedule looks like its from a team trying to dig itself out of a hole financially. Anything to this? Hopefully Portland State football isnt in danger.

*This isnt intended as smack

McNeese75
March 8th, 2006, 05:23 PM
[QUOTE=JALMOND]
QUOTE]

In more ways than you can imagine. Payback was going to be Hell this year!!! :nod:

rokamortis
March 8th, 2006, 05:32 PM
I wonder how Coastal would do with that schedule.

All you need to worry about is how PSU is going to do against that schedule :eek:

Kill'em
March 8th, 2006, 09:20 PM
For those wanting to get rid of a I-A game, Georgia Southern will gladly take one.

Ronbo
March 8th, 2006, 09:38 PM
If your AD wanted one he could get one. With the 12th game in I-A they are a dime a dozen now. Three schools have 3 I-A games and a dozen others have 2. Now don't tell me they are afraid to play you. LOL Your AD isn't scheduling one. He doesn't want the loss.

89Hen
March 9th, 2006, 08:21 AM
IMO this is silly. There have been rumblings in the past about PSU moving to I-A, maybe more from media or fans than from the school, but this sure smacks of what the administration thinks of I-AA football. They have put their team in a position to have a HUGE uphill battle at a shot of post-season play. They have declared that money is more important than the playoffs. The other BSC teams should take exception to this IMO. Does the SWAC have any openings?

Stang Fever
March 9th, 2006, 02:46 PM
IMO this is silly. There have been rumblings in the past about PSU moving to I-A, maybe more from media or fans than from the school, but this sure smacks of what the administration thinks of I-AA football. They have put their team in a position to have a HUGE uphill battle at a shot of post-season play. They have declared that money is more important than the playoffs. The other BSC teams should take exception to this IMO. Does the SWAC have any openings?

Look at it like this...Portland St doesnt have a playoff type team coming back next season....so they are in a rebuilding year, so why wouldnt you just take your lumps and get paid....since your team would have a hard time winning 6 games next season no matter who you played

I think its a great thing that they are doing and it makes sense

Kill'em
March 9th, 2006, 07:25 PM
If your AD wanted one he could get one. With the 12th game in I-A they are a dime a dozen now. Three schools have 3 I-A games and a dozen others have 2. Now don't tell me they are afraid to play you. LOL Your AD isn't scheduling one. He doesn't want the loss.
There lies one of the two biggest complaints folks have about our A.D.. They also hate that we're NOT I-A yet and the fact that he has no plans to move to I-A.

Green Cookie Monster
March 9th, 2006, 08:58 PM
We already play them on November 18 at our place. :nod:

Which is a mudhole. :nod: xlolx

Maybe you will have to rent out Hughes again since your DII stadium won't be able to hold the 15K Sac State fans.

SochorField
March 9th, 2006, 09:02 PM
I will refrain from making fun of Sac State. It is becoming too easy.:boring:
(I will say, you are on drugs if you think 15k Sac fans have, or will, ever show up anywhere)

I wish a Portland State fan would respond to my original post.

TexasTerror
March 10th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Two reasons? I figured it was more about the $$$... :)

The reasons Portland State accepted the invitation to play at Oregon — the Division I-AA school’s third D-I opponent next season — are twofold.
One, the Vikings relish the challenge.
“Any time we get a chance to play Oregon or Oregon State, we want to take it,” PSU coach Tim Walsh says.
Adds offensive coordinator Mike Fanger: “Whether it’s realistic or not, our kids all think they should be playing at Oregon. They’ll play that game with a little bit of a chip on their shoulders.”
Then there is the payoff — $450,000, including a $50,000 buyout of original opponent Southern Oregon.
“If (the Ducks) are going to pay that kind of money, they might as well give it to another state school,” says Viking interim Athletic Director Teri Mariani.
Portland State will be the only I-AA team to face three D-I foes next season and will have only four home games. It’s the most difficult schedule in the nation; here’s hoping Viking fans will understand the enormity of the task ahead.

http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=34247

McNeese75
March 10th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Portland State will be the only I-AA team to face three D-I foes next season and will have only four home games. It’s the most difficult schedule in the nation; here’s hoping Viking fans will understand the enormity of the task ahead.

That is going to be one "empty" home stadium for the Vikes this year :(

BusinessEagle
March 10th, 2006, 05:22 PM

Actually before our current AD came to Georgia Southern, we played a I-A game almost every year. We were a triple option team then also-- up to this coming season. We can truly only track one I-A game in his 10 years that he was responsible to getting-- Oregon State. The only other I-A we have played is UGA. There was an extensive relationship with UGA prior to his arrival and we had played them once before his arrival.

By the way, we are scheduled to play UGA again in 2008. We managed to get less money for that game than Western Carolina and App State will get for their respective games with UGA. I can't be travel costs since Cullowhee is closer to Athens than Statesboro.

slostang
March 11th, 2006, 01:29 AM

The reasons Portland State accepted the invitation to play at Oregon — the Division I-AA school’s third D-I opponent next season — are twofold.
“Any time we get a chance to play Oregon or Oregon State, we want to take it,” PSU coach Tim Walsh says.
Adds offensive coordinator Mike Fanger: “Whether it’s realistic or not, our kids all think they should be playing at Oregon. They’ll play that game with a little bit of a chip on their shoulders.”
Then there is the payoff — $450,000, including a $50,000 buyout of original opponent Southern Oregon.
“If (the Ducks) are going to pay that kind of money, they might as well give it to another state school,” says Viking interim Athletic Director Teri Mariani.

Northwestern State is playing three I-A foes. They are playing Kansas, Baylor and Ole Miss.

89Hen
March 11th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Look at it like this...Portland St doesnt have a playoff type team coming back next season....so they are in a rebuilding year, so why wouldnt you just take your lumps and get paid....since your team would have a hard time winning 6 games next season no matter who you played

I think its a great thing that they are doing and it makes sense
I guess you could look at it like that, but IMO that'd be like saying since a particular woman isn't a college type person... so she's not going to earn high wages in a regular job, so why not just turn tricks take your humps and get paid.

IMO it is complete BULL**** to put your players up against this kind of schedule. Did you also realize that this means PSU will be playing four home games? FOUR that is complete BULL**** to put your fans through that. I think the Oregon game is a great idea, but how many fans do you think will venture to the Cal or New Mexico games? Sorry Stang, I just don't agree.

I would go so far as to say that I'd support legislation in I-AA that teams can't have more than one game against a I-A and one game against a DII in any given year.

BTW, some comments by the coach that I have to laugh at...

“We struggle with our identity as a program, and this is a chance to improve that,” said Viking Coach Tim Walsh. “The last few times we have played 1-A opponents we have been very competitive"

HA! They had a couple of "competitive" games to two WAC teams, that's it. A 41-0 loss to Oregon is really going to give them some identity. xidiotx

"We are a Division I institution and that's how we want to be looked at."

WTF is that supposed to mean? If that's not a slam on I-AA, I don't know what is. PSU fields 12 athletic teams. Do they really think they are big time? xcoffeex

wannabegaucho
March 11th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Hen: Is your athetic institution in a better shape than Portland State?

kats89
March 11th, 2006, 11:29 AM
C'mon guys, it's not rocket science. Of course it is about the money. $950k for those three? Do the math.

SHSU booked UT and SMU. We will probably get $450k for those two games. I know we are getting $300k to play Texas. (Terror correct me if I am wrong). That will help AD for sure.

ucdtim17
March 11th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Portland gave Boise EVERYTHING they could handle last year and lost 21-14 I think.

TexasTerror
March 11th, 2006, 11:44 AM

Reading the post I made, did anyone else see the part about the only I-AA team playing "three D-I foes". Seems to me every I-AA school is playing three D-I foes!

Also, SELA and the aforementioned Northwestern St are playing three I-A foes (which is what they really meant). SELA has Texas Tech, Southern Miss and New Mexico State.

SochorField
March 11th, 2006, 06:43 PM
C'mon guys, it's not rocket science. Of course it is about the money. $950k for those three? Do the math.

My original question was for JALMOND. I want to know if Portland State is in financial TROUBLE. I know the payoff is one reason for scheduling I-A's, but I'm curious as to whether this schedule was made in order to keep PSU football afloat.

March 11th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Reading the post I made, did anyone else see the part about the only I-AA team playing "three D-I foes"....Did anyone else besides me email the author and alert him to that fact?

http://www.portlandtribune.com/continfo.cgi?to=33%20kerryeggers%2066

Mr. Eggers,

In your column "Indians can Crowe about top prospect" you wrote a couple of inaccurate things. Just a head's up.

"The reasons Portland State accepted the invitation to play at Oregon — the Division I-AA school’s third D-I opponent next season..."

Portland State's schedule includes 10 D-I teams (remember I-AA has that "I" meaning they are D-I).

"Portland State will be the only I-AA team to face three D-I foes next season..."

Portland State is one of many school's that participate in I-AA scheduled so far to play three I-A (what you meant to write) teams. Among the others are Northwestern State and Southeastern Louisiana.

Sincerely,

Ralph Wallace

TexasTerror
March 11th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Did anyone else besides me email the author and alert him to that fact?

http://www.portlandtribune.com/continfo.cgi?to=33%20kerryeggers%2066

Mr. Eggers,

In your column "Indians can Crowe about top prospect" you wrote a couple of inaccurate things. Just a head's up.

"The reasons Portland State accepted the invitation to play at Oregon — the Division I-AA school’s third D-I opponent next season..."

Portland State's schedule includes 10 D-I teams (remember I-AA has that "I" meaning they are D-I).

"Portland State will be the only I-AA team to face three D-I foes next season..."

Portland State is one of many school's that participate in I-AA scheduled so far to play three I-A (what you meant to write) teams. Among the others are Northwestern State and Southeastern Louisiana.

Sincerely,

Ralph Wallace

Any response, Ralph? You show him the light? :hurray:

89Hen
March 11th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Hen: Is your athetic institution in a better shape than Portland State?
Not sure what you're after, but if Portland State has to rely on three money games to support the rest of their athletics, then they should probably either drop athletics or move to I-A.

March 11th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Any response, Ralph? You show him the light? :hurray:Not yet, one writer at a time... it would help if more folks would write...

Tod
March 11th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Not sure what you're after, but if Portland State has to rely on three money games to support the rest of their athletics, then they should probably either drop athletics or move to I-A.

Or, they can take the high road, say "we're not quitters", and try to do the best they can, even if they're opinion differs from yours.

nlwwln
March 12th, 2006, 04:09 AM
is ralph the only member who has reached 1aa all the way?

March 12th, 2006, 04:32 AM
is ralph the only member who has reached 1aa all the way?You get to pick your own member title once you have participated enough. 89Hen and Cap'n Cat are other examples...

"1aa all the way" ARGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I-AA ALL THE WAY! :nod:

89Hen
March 12th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Or, they can take the high road, say "we're not quitters", and try to do the best they can, even if they're opinion differs from yours.
I think by scheduling three I-A they are saying "we ARE quitters". IOW, if we can't win enough I-AA games to accomplish anything, at least we can get paid to be some I-A's bitches.

Tod
March 12th, 2006, 09:46 PM
I think by scheduling three I-A they are saying "we ARE quitters". IOW, if we can't win enough I-AA games to accomplish anything, at least we can get paid to be some I-A's bitches.

Or, make a ton of money, win the Big Sky (we do seem to disproportionally send 7-4 teams to the playoffs), and kick some butt with thier experience playing more difficult teams. OK, probably not...:D

I don't know what their philosophy is, but there are other teams playing multiple I-A teams. Reasons will vary. Only time will tell if it's a good move. If nothing else, maybe it will solidify PSU into the 'Sky. I don't want them going anywhere, personally.

Kill'em
March 13th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Now, don't hold back. Tell us what you really feel.:smiley_wi

89Hen
March 13th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Yeah, sorry for the over the top comments Tod and Kill'em, but I really do feel strongly about I-A games. BTW, I'm not opposed to all I-A games, just some. PSU vs. Oregon/Oregon State... GREAT! PSU vs. New Mexico... :confused: : smh : If you ask Hen fans, the list of acceptible I-A's is very short. It includes only teams either that the Hens can beat or teams that are very close geographically and in most cases, both. Navy, Army, Temple, Maryland, Penn State.... that may be it. The first three because they are winnable games and are close, the other two just because they are close. When the Hens play at Navy 8-10K Hen fans go to the game. I expect a similar number when they play at Maryland in 2008. How many Vikings fans do you think will go to Berkely or New Mexico? A couple hundred to Berkely and a couple dozen to NM? I don't buy into this "it's good for the kids to play these games". It's all about the money. :twocents:

Kill'em
March 13th, 2006, 10:07 AM
No problem 89. The weakest I-A we've ever played was East Carolina back in the mid-80's and they were a top 20 team then. We've played Oregon St in a shootout, uga 3 times, Miami, U of Fla, and Florida St twice and Auburn once. I'd love to get a mid-major or a school like Wake Forest and see what we can do.

89Hen
March 13th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Interesting possible I-A opponents for the A10, in order of preference IMO..

Maine - BC, Army, Syracuse, UConn
New Hampshire - BC, Army, Syracuse, UConn
Massachusetts - BC, UConn, Army, Syracuse
Northeastern - BC, UConn, Army, Syracuse
Rhode Island - UConn, BC, Army, Syracuse
Hofstra - Army, Syracuse, Rutgers, Temple
Villanova - Temple, Rutgers, Army, Penn State
Delaware - Navy, Army, Temple, Maryland, Penn State, Rutgers
Towson - Maryland, Navy, Temple
James Madison - Virginia Tech, Virginia, Maryland, Navy, WVU
Richmond - Virginia, Virginia Tech, Duke, UNC, NCState
William & Mary - Virginia, Virginia Tech, Duke, UNC, NCState

How about for anyone else?

blukeys
March 13th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Interesting possible I-A opponents for the A10, in order of preference IMO..

Maine - BC, Army, Syracuse, UConn
New Hampshire - BC, Army, Syracuse, UConn
Massachusetts - BC, UConn, Army, Syracuse
Northeastern - BC, UConn, Army, Syracuse
Rhode Island - UConn, BC, Army, Syracuse
Hofstra - Army, Syracuse, Rutgers, Temple
Villanova - Temple, Rutgers, Army, Penn State
Delaware - Navy, Army, Temple, Maryland, Penn State, Rutgers
Towson - Maryland, Navy, Temple
James Madison - Virginia Tech, Virginia, Maryland, Navy, WVU
Richmond - Virginia, Virginia Tech, Duke, UNC, NCState
William & Mary - Virginia, Virginia Tech, Duke, UNC, NCState

How about for anyone else?

In my personal order of preference:

Delaware - Temple, (still hate them) Rutgers, Navy, Uconn, Maryland, Penn State, Army.

We did play Temple, Rutgers, and UConn regularly in the past.

Tod
March 13th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Yeah, sorry for the over the top comments Tod and Kill'em, but I really do feel strongly about I-A games. BTW, I'm not opposed to all I-A games, just some. PSU vs. Oregon/Oregon State... GREAT! PSU vs. New Mexico... :confused: : smh : If you ask Hen fans, the list of acceptible I-A's is very short. It includes only teams either that the Hens can beat or teams that are very close geographically and in most cases, both. Navy, Army, Temple, Maryland, Penn State.... that may be it. The first three because they are winnable games and are close, the other two just because they are close. When the Hens play at Navy 8-10K Hen fans go to the game. I expect a similar number when they play at Maryland in 2008. How many Vikings fans do you think will go to Berkely or New Mexico? A couple hundred to Berkely and a couple dozen to NM? I don't buy into this "it's good for the kids to play these games". It's all about the money. :twocents:

Hey, don't take away the New Mexico game! I'll be there! It's 15 minutes from my house. :D :D

I see your point, and it's a good one IMO. I'm not so thrilled that the Griz are playing Iowa. Idaho, Wyoming, maybe Nevada or Boise State because they are close or at least are former BSC schools.

But, at least the big payday will help us financially. Maybe in '07 we can stop playing the big boys.

JALMOND
March 17th, 2006, 01:12 AM
My original question was for JALMOND. I want to know if Portland State is in financial TROUBLE. I know the payoff is one reason for scheduling I-A's, but I'm curious as to whether this schedule was made in order to keep PSU football afloat.

Partially. PSU athletics have taken a big hit lately. We don't have an on-campus stadium so we have to rent PGE Park from the city of Portland for all home games. Last year's conference basketball tourney was hosted by us, but our gym was classified as "too small" so we had to rent Memorial Colisium for the tournament. Also, Oregon is rated near the bottom in the country for state school funding. PSU lost the most money of any Oregon state university last year. Don't get me wrong, the Big Sky is a good fit for us as most schools in the conference are financially doable from Portland (Bozeman and Flagstaff are somewhat tough in terms of dollars but the rest are fine, including N Colorado). PSU athletics can still stay afloat. Talk of moving to I-A has eased now that the state economy has tanked. Any move, either to I-A or back to DII, would be costly right now.

JALMOND
March 17th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Not yet, one writer at a time... it would help if more folks would write...

Sir Ralph, bottom line is that Eggers is an ass (always has been, always will be). I also believe the Trib never checks their facts and for that reason, to me they will always be Portland's equivalent of the National Enquirer. Sensational journalism and not worth even using it for toilet paper.

March 17th, 2006, 02:44 AM
Sir Ralph, bottom line is that Eggers is an ass (always has been, always will be). I also believe the Trib never checks their facts and for that reason, to me they will always be Portland's equivalent of the National Enquirer. Sensational journalism and not worth even using it for toilet paper.I helped him a bit more but haven't heard back...

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2006 8:24 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Email from the Trib Web Site

Ralph: you're splitting hairs on the first item ... OK, Division I-A, then
... PSU's SID put out the info on the second item. I see you are correct
about SE La. ... Northwestern State's website doesn't list the 2006
schedule, so I'll take your word for it ... thanks for the correction. Kerry

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2006 12:56 PM
To: Kerry Eggers
Subject: RE: Email from the Trib Web Site

Kerry,
Thanks for the response. You may call it "splitting hairs" but the NCAA is considering legislation to remove the As from D-I football for just that reason.

The Portland State press release said "for the first time in its history" it would face three, not "the only I-AA team to face three."
http://anygivensaturday.com/ralphblog/article.php?story=20060306184411387

Northwestern State's schedule was released 1/30/06:
http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=75679

Again, just a head's up and trying to keep the information correct. :)

Ralph Wallace

JALMOND
March 17th, 2006, 08:14 PM
The Oregonian made the same mistake on PSU being the only school playing three I-A teams. I guess its easier to rely on the SID than to double-check the facts (and cut into precious OSU/UO coverage). Still, I rely more on the "facts" here on this website than I do from the Trib.