PDA

View Full Version : Four Big Sky Schools with WAC Invites In Hand

TexasTerror
May 9th, 2011, 09:13 AM
From the Idaho AD on a radio interview... copied this from BobcatReport.com (http://bobcatreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1126)...

Rob Spear was on KIDO yesterday and he said this about the recent meetings.

1 - The WAC 5 don't want to add more SW schools (no to Lamar & Sam Houston State) unless there are Western / NW additions too.

2 - There are more than 3 FCS schools in the SW that want to move up and that would jump at the opportunity.

3 - The WAC has until the 2014 season to add more football schools. The WAC is looking for NW /Western members 1st.

4 - Montana, Montana State, Portland State and Cal Poly have an open invitation to join the WAC until 2014. All of those schools are still in play. There were other schools that would fit ( those are the ones that were mentioned). Montana and MSU will be a package deal if/when they jump. They both need to find money to move up. One immediate benefit of being FBS vs FCS is that money games become much larger at FBS level ie - Montana is playing Tennessee this year and is receiving $350K. If UM was FBS that number would jump to $900 - $1 million.

5 - The best case for the future WAC is to have North - South or East - West Divisions. If that happened and if there were enough schools the 2 divisions could eventually become 2 seperate conferences.

New Revenue for the Non-AC conferences:

6 - The +1 BCS model (after all of the BCS Bowls have been played ) would add another $100 Million to the BCS and a significant amount of that money should be distributed to the non-AC conferences. Right now the BCS gets $125 million under the current system.

7 - The Non-AC conferences may band together for a TV package that would increase revenue to the member schools (MAC, WAC, Sunbelt). The MWC has a decent package right now.

8 - The WAC may look at other TV packages and needs to be creative. ESPN provides exposure but doesn't do much on the revenue side. Playing games on Friday and Sunday would be something the WAC may look at doing during negotiations. I believe he said that CBS and Comcast may be better alternatives than ESPN monetarily.

bp44
May 9th, 2011, 09:22 AM
The Wac can't afford to wait on the Big Sky Schools, add Lamar, Seattle and the great university in Huntsvile, Tx, Sam Houston

TexasTerror
May 9th, 2011, 09:45 AM
The Wac can't afford to wait on the Big Sky Schools, add Lamar, Seattle and the great university in Huntsvile, Tx, Sam Houston

If they add Lamar + Sam Houston - they would likely add Seattle, plus one of the two - Cal State-Bakersfield or Utah Valley.

It is very critical for them to balance our West/East in all sports sans football. Football, it is critical just to get enough members so that they can yield eight conference games annually.

bp44
May 9th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Do you think the Wac will stand pat at 8 full members this year. Im a hughe Lamar fan and Southland Conference also, just wish someone have some concrete evidence about the rumors.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 9th, 2011, 10:23 AM
The WAC sure is throwing a lot of bait in the water, hoping someone will bite.

While everybody knows the Montana/Montana State joint venture is a longshot - extending the invite that was rejected in the last round to 2014 I don't think will make much difference - Cal Poly also seems like a real reach to me because they are already in the Big West. While they might be interested in FBS football, I don't think they have any interest in tying themselves to the WAC in all sports.

Portland State seems to have been tacked on there because somebody saw a Portland Timbers game at Jen-Weld field. They are probably would be the strongest candidate of the four, which isn't saying much. Furthermore, their closest conference game in any sport would be Idaho, and would be flying to everything else in a conference that now has a lot more in the American Southwest than Big Sky country.

Saint3333
May 9th, 2011, 10:30 AM
They just need an East Coast Division of 7 FCS programs that are better suited to play at the FBS level. Play 6 games on the East Coast and 2 vs. the Western Division, leaving 4 OOC games. I'd prefer Hawaii to go Indy and La Tech to go Sun Belt and then Montana and Montana St. join.

bp44
May 9th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I think we be heaing something soon, eveyone is tight lip about the Wac expansion rumors. The Wac can ot afford to wait until to 2012 season to annouce new members

TexasTerror
May 9th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Portland State seems to have been tacked on there because somebody saw a Portland Timbers game at Jen-Weld field. They are probably would be the strongest candidate of the four, which isn't saying much. Furthermore, their closest conference game in any sport would be Idaho, and would be flying to everything else in a conference that now has a lot more in the American Southwest than Big Sky country.

They really want Portland State, if you asked me. Makes adding Seattle a 'better fit' for the league and tolerable. If you recall, the WAC prior to adding the 'Texas Twins' (UTSA and TXST) had no proper link between Louisiana Tech and the rest of the league. At least PSU and Seattle are more palatable for divisions, travel partners' sake.

I think we be heaing something soon, eveyone is tight lip about the Wac expansion rumors. The Wac can ot afford to wait until to 2012 season to annouce new members

The WAC can afford waiting til the summer of '12 to act as it relates to football. They do need to add at least one member - probably Seattle - as soon as possible to shore up the remainder of their sports.

GaSouthern
May 9th, 2011, 11:06 AM
They just need an East Coast Division of 7 FCS programs that are better suited to play at the FBS level. Play 6 games on the East Coast and 2 vs. the Western Division, leaving 4 OOC games. I'd prefer Hawaii to go Indy and La Tech to go Sun Belt and then Montana and Montana St. join.
I saw your post about this on the NCAABBS Forum and i LOVE the idea!

CollegeSportsInfo
May 9th, 2011, 01:10 PM
They really want Portland State, if you asked me. Makes adding Seattle a 'better fit' for the league and tolerable. If you recall, the WAC prior to adding the 'Texas Twins' (UTSA and TXST) had no proper link between Louisiana Tech and the rest of the league. At least PSU and Seattle are more palatable for divisions, travel partners' sake.

The WAC can afford waiting til the summer of '12 to act as it relates to football. They do need to add at least one member - probably Seattle - as soon as possible to shore up the remainder of their sports.

I'm in favor of the WAC loading up in the west with Montana, Montana St., and Portland St. I'd think Sac St. might be a better option than Cal Poly though. And of course, if/when those 4-5 schools pass (saying "no" isn't enough, the WAC seems to be setting a 2014 deadline), then the WAC turns to Lamar and SHSU.

As for your mention of divisions and such regarding Seattle and Portland, in theory, adding SHSU, Lamar with Seattle and UVU would take care of that:

East:
LA Tech
Lamar
SHSU
Texas St.
UTSA
NMSU

West:
SJSU
* Seattle
Idaho
Utah St.
* Utah Valley
* Denver

One division is NM (NMSU), Texas (UTSA, TSU, Lam, SHSU) and LA (LA Tech).
The other is CA (San Jose), WA (Seattle), ID, UT (UVU, USU) and CO (Denver).

dbackjon
May 9th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I'm in favor of the WAC loading up in the west with Montana, Montana St., and Portland St. I'd think Sac St. might be a better option than Cal Poly though. And of course, if/when those 4-5 schools pass (saying "no" isn't enough, the WAC seems to be setting a 2014 deadline), then the WAC turns to Lamar and SHSU.

As for your mention of divisions and such regarding Seattle and Portland, in theory, adding SHSU, Lamar with Seattle and UVU would take care of that:

East:
LA Tech
Lamar
SHSU
Texas St.
UTSA
NMSU

West:
SJSU
* Seattle
Idaho
Utah St.
* Utah Valley
* Denver

One division is NM (NMSU), Texas (UTSA, TSU, Lam, SHSU) and LA (LA Tech).
The other is CA (San Jose), WA (Seattle), ID, UT (UVU, USU) and CO (Denver).

What a craphole of a conference

OB55
May 9th, 2011, 01:44 PM
That's the point when discussing WAC. Seems it is heading for failure, quickly. How nice would it be to jump into that joke of a conference, and then want to come back begging to get back into the lowly Big Sky within a year or two?

panama
May 9th, 2011, 03:19 PM

That makes so much sense that it could obviously never happen.

Saint3333
May 9th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I'd like to see Maine and UNH go to the NEC, swap W&M and Richmond for ASU and GSU and then set up that conference to be the East Coast WAC Division. Not sure what happens to Towson...

89Hen
May 9th, 2011, 03:57 PM
That's the point when discussing WAC. Seems it is heading for failure, quickly. How nice would it be to jump into that joke of a conference, and then want to come back begging to get back into the lowly Big Sky within a year or two?

No kidding. Teams would be crazy to join.

Saint3333
May 9th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I was thinking the East Coast Division would split off and create a new conference down the line. This is just a way to get around the "you have to have an invitation from an existing FBS conference" rule.

dbackjon
May 9th, 2011, 04:19 PM

It makes sense for homeless schools like UVU, Seattle and Bakersfield - schools that no other conference wants.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 9th, 2011, 04:23 PM

I just can't see how some people think that just being FBS is some great achievement. You get in to a conference like that and you have changed your position how? You are still not anywhere near worthy of respect from the bigger schools in TX, or NC, or wherever it is you look up and say "RESPECT US DAMNIT!".

Advocating something like doing this shows how the only thing you care about it being called an FBS team and not that you would be playing old rivals that mean something to your fan base.

That would be a really sad, sad thing to look at as being something good.

TexasTerror
May 9th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Jack from BobcatReport.com is indicating that Seattle is the only school being considered (http://bobcatreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14015#p14015) which would make sense if the WAC is going to wait one more year to add football schools, while also adding a more 'Western' institution to help out for all sports...

darell1976
May 9th, 2011, 06:47 PM
No offense to fans of these teams...but what is the point of moving to the WAC? I don't see a Boise State coming from that list of teams. Plus the corruption of the BCS by the Dept of Justice you are not going to win a "national title" or whatever the championship of the FBS is called. I think unless there is a playoff system that is almost as equal a chance like March Madness it makes no sense unless you get into a big name conference (Pac 10, Big 10 etc.). I hope the Big Sky teams stay put. In 2012 we join the conference and I hope we and the other GWFC teams make the Big Sky the toughest conference in the FCS.

AZGrizFan
May 9th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I just can't see how some people think that just being FBS is some great achievement. You get in to a conference like that and you have changed your position how? You are still not anywhere near worthy of respect from the bigger schools in TX, or NC, or wherever it is you look up and say "RESPECT US DAMNIT!".

Advocating something like doing this shows how the only thing you care about it being called an FBS team and not that you would be playing old rivals that mean something to your fan base.

That would be a really sad, sad thing to look at as being something good.

It made sense when the WAC had BSU, Nevada, etc....not so much any more...

Cocky
May 9th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Someone will dominate the league and be the new darling. Being FBS the confence will be preceive to be better than any FCS conference by the general public.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 9th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Someone will dominate the league and be the new darling. Being FBS the confence will be preceive to be better than any FCS conference by the general public.

Maybe so but I'm not sure what that gets ya?

ursus arctos horribilis
May 9th, 2011, 08:19 PM

Troof, it made more sense then and even though I could see some upside to it...it was not overwhelming. Now it just has nothing intriguing to me without those teams.

JALMOND
May 9th, 2011, 10:00 PM

Adding Seattle does make it intriguing for us. Seems everything up here from the sport viewpoint gains the most ground when it involves Portland and Seattle. Even with Seattle being private and us being a public state university, it would be something we would probably look at...

but...

It is interesting what the WAC is doing, if this is in fact what they are doing. Basically giving the four named Big Sky schools two years to "test" this new Big Sky conference lineup and banking on the idea that at least one won't like it and would want to move. Strange in that any talk of us going into the WAC any time soon has basically cooled (my opinion only).

txstatebobcat
May 9th, 2011, 10:25 PM

That's a rather short sighted way to look at things. The WAC is a stepping stone conference. The MWC (as an example since you mentioned BSU and Nevada) would never take Montana from the FCS, but UM could be in the Mountain West Conference within 5-10 years should they make the jump.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 9th, 2011, 10:28 PM
The WAC is a stepping stone conference...

... which has a funny way of becoming a permanent conference home, whether the teams have delusions of grandeur or not.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 9th, 2011, 10:48 PM
... which has a funny way of becoming a permanent conference home, whether the teams have delusions of grandeur or not.

Nailed it right there. Everybody always talks about stepping stone but the fact of the matter is that Boise was in that stepping stone for what 17 yrs. by the time this is done and they are out?

You couldn't have made yourself much prettier than Boise did in that period and now they are in a better conference...not a BCS but a better conference...that's the best they have been able to do so far.

I don't know how any of these teams think they are gonna do a short stint in the WAC and then head off to some great conference when there is already a real long line of teams in front of them.

When you get there you are very likely staying there so you better be happy about it.

bojeta
May 9th, 2011, 11:01 PM
My personal preference would be for Cal Poly and Davis to join the movement to bring back football at: UC Riverside, Cal State Fullerton, Cal State Northridge, Cal State Long Beach, University of the Pacific and UC Santa Barbara. Reform the Big West much like it was back in the PCAA days. Maybe even entice San Jose State to rejoin. All but San Jose are currently Big West members in nearly every sport. Travel costs and scheduling would be a dream. Ya... I know, a few hundred million bucks to get it going.... Big Deal! :)

txstatebobcat
May 9th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Nailed it right there. Everybody always talks about stepping stone but the fact of the matter is that Boise was in that stepping stone for what 17 yrs. by the time this is done and they are out?

You couldn't have made yourself much prettier than Boise did in that period and now they are in a better conference...not a BCS but a better conference...that's the best they have been able to do so far.

I don't know how any of these teams think they are gonna do a short stint in the WAC and then head off to some great conference when there is already a real long line of teams in front of them.

When you get there you are very likely staying there so you better be happy about it.

Actually Boise State is bad example since they started in the Big West which was their original stepping stone conference also academics played as much a part if not more with Boise never getting a BCS invite. As far as the stepping stone conference becoming a permanent one comment: well there aren't any guarantees and the only thing you can do is to put yourself in the best position to succeed. I believe that Texas State is doing just that and if Montana doesn't feel they can do the same then its probably best if they stay in the big sky.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 10th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Actually Boise State is bad example since they started in the Big West which was their original stepping stone conference also academics played as much a part if not more with Boise never getting a BCS invite. As far as the stepping stone conference becoming a permanent one comment: well there aren't any guarantees and the only thing you can do is to put yourself in the best position to succeed. I believe that Texas State is doing just that and if Montana doesn't feel they can do the same then its probably best if they stay in the big sky.

Ah yes my bad on the WAC comment. I'm not even saying that this isn't the best thing for TxSt but if your fans go into that conference thinking your quick to get out it is not that likely in the real world.

But anything can happen. I just don't see the stepping stone thing working out for Montana after a 5 yr. stint and then on to the MWC.

bp44
May 10th, 2011, 02:17 AM
xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxThis question is address to you Texas Terror or anyone else feel free to give some input. what your opinion about about Lamar leaking its interested in joining the Wac just before the presidents of thr Wac meeting next month ? I read on a web site recently that Lamar with make a public announce this week seeking an Wac invite and this information came out Monday that Lamar seeks Wac invite.

cpalum
May 10th, 2011, 10:18 AM
My personal preference would be for Cal Poly and Davis to join the movement to bring back football at: UC Riverside, Cal State Fullerton, Cal State Northridge, Cal State Long Beach, University of the Pacific and UC Santa Barbara. Reform the Big West much like it was back in the PCAA days. Maybe even entice San Jose State to rejoin. All but San Jose are currently Big West members in nearly every sport. Travel costs and scheduling would be a dream. Ya... I know, a few hundred million bucks to get it going.... Big Deal! :)

Bojeta....I have been intrigued by this idea when you have posted in the past. I think this would really be fantastic and would raise the level of FCS in general. Outside of what the Big Sky has been able top do, the FCS has been dieing on the vine in the west for 20 years. Cal Poly is really fortunate to have secured that Big Sky invite. I am really on the fence about the whole thing. I can see a future where schools like Montana, Sac State, Montana State and others leave the Big Sky and FCS continues to limp along with other programs closing up shop as happened to CSUF, Northridge and Pacific in the 90s. The stability of the WAC is a concern but long term so is the stability of the FCS on the west coast.

I think a Big west FCS would be fantastic but realistically I think it is almost impossible. If Cal Poly is going to jump and take a risk Id rather if it were from Big Sky to WAC than from Big Sky to Big West/FCS.

Silenoz
May 10th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Pacific was FBS along with Long Beach and Fullerton and whoever else. Plus there was all those D2 Cali schools that dropped football, so it seems like it was a rough period for the state at all levels.

Anyways I agree with your comment on stability, I don't know what Western FCS and FBS mid-major ball will look like in 10 years because there is so much uncertainty at both levels.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 10th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I'd like to see Maine and UNH go to the NEC, swap W&M and Richmond for ASU and GSU and then set up that conference to be the East Coast WAC Division. Not sure what happens to Towson...

Sorry to burst your bubble, but UNH doesn't want to go to a 40 scholarship max NEC. They prefer full scholarship FCS Football.

As for Towson, they'd still be in the CAA Football League with UNH, Maine, W&M, Richmond and most likely Delaware. What makes you so confident that Delaware would join a "WAC East"? I certainly haven't read anything or heard a majority of their posters state they want FBS that badly.

AZGrizFan
May 10th, 2011, 01:06 PM
What we REALLY need is a "Rocky Mountain Conference" that consists of:

Montana
Montana State
Idaho
Boise State
Utah
BYU
Utah State
Wyoming
Colorado
Colorado State

Granted....UM probably goes 3-8 every year in that conference for quite some time...
xchinscratchxxeyebrowxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhx

ursus arctos horribilis
May 10th, 2011, 01:19 PM

Montana
Montana State
Idaho
Boise State
Utah
BYU
Utah State
Wyoming
Colorado
Colorado State

Granted....UM probably goes 3-8 every year in that conference for quite some time...

If you can pull that off AZ, and the DOJ kicks the **** out of the BCS then you can consider me converted.:D

kalm
May 10th, 2011, 01:26 PM

Ah, but then there's that big sweet payoff at the end of the stretch where you go 7-4 and make a mid-December meaningless bowl game. Sweet!

dbackjon
May 10th, 2011, 01:38 PM

Montana
Montana State
Idaho
Boise State
Utah
BYU
Utah State
Wyoming
Colorado
Colorado State

Nice dream...especially BYU, Utah and Colorado.

OB55
May 10th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Easy to play the game "Which Three Does Not Fit In Well With The Others"

AZGrizFan
May 10th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Nice dream...especially BYU, Utah and Colorado.

Oh, I KNOW it' s a dream...but that doesn't change the fact that it'd be a great conference...

TexasTerror
May 12th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Interesting read...

Idaho athletic director Rob Spear pointed to Seattle, Montana and Montana State as his top choices for expanding the Western Athletic Conference. The league is expected to announce membership changes on June 14.

He said the league needs additional members in the West. In 2012 Idaho and San Jose State will be the league's only members in the Pacific Time Zone. Utah State and New Mexico State are in the Mountain Time Zone.

"I would not consider Texas the Western United States," Spear said.

He said the league's shift to the South and East "is a concern to me."

"I like the Montana schools. It's important that the University of Idaho finds a rival. We have to have that," he said. "We had an unbelievable rivalry when we both competed as Big Sky members."

Montana recently indicated it was content in the FCS, where the Grizzlies are perennial championship contenders.

"It's up to us to make it more attractive," Spear said of the WAC.

Read more: http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2011/05/12/bmurphy/idaho_athletic_directors_talks_wac_expansion_sched uling_boise_st#ixzz1MBNCZnav

Accelerati Incredibilus
May 12th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Ah yes my bad on the WAC comment. I'm not even saying that this isn't the best thing for TxSt but if your fans go into that conference thinking your quick to get out it is not that likely in the real world.

But anything can happen. I just don't see the stepping stone thing working out for Montana after a 5 yr. stint and then on to the MWC.

Trying to respond to your last message but can't until you clear some messages.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 12th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Trying to respond to your last message but can't until you clear some messages.

Just did that. My apologies.

Sly Fox
May 13th, 2011, 12:49 AM
All of this falls right in line with what I have heard about Benson not even making token outreaches to the Eastern FCS schools who have openly expressed an interest in moving up. Perhaps that is the fallback to the fallback plan (Lamar & Sam) if he isn't able to get the Montana schools to bite.

And let the record state, I have been pitching the East Coast division of the WAC for months now on here. But to those who state that it makes too much sense to ever happen, I tip my hat in chagrin and acknowledgment.