PDA

View Full Version : SELA Spring Practice Preview

TexasTerror
March 7th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Loads of information at the below link of what coach Roland thinks he'll see and the big need to replace last year's starting QB, Trey Willie. This is a big year for the Lions. They are getting 'sleeper' nods throughout the SLC preseason picks by SLC faithful. If they get a strong QB leading the way, they should be an exciting offensive team as they always have been since returning to football in 2003...

SOUTHEASTERN FOOTBALL TO OPEN SPRING DRILLS WEDNESDAY
Posted by dvolz on March 6, 2006, 5:28 pm.

The Southeastern Louisiana Lions football team will open spring practice Wednesday afternoon announced head coach Dennis Roland.

The practice will mark the start of Roland’s second season as head coach of the Lions as the team takes the field at 2:15 p.m.

“We’re looking forward to a productive spring,” announced Roland. “We’ve got a great group of players back and we’re excited to see how it all starts to come together.”

One of the keys for the Lions will be to replace former starting quarterback Trey Willie, the Southland Conference’s total offense leader, as well as four starting wide receivers on the offensive side of the ball. But following a solid recruiting class and an influx of newcomers to key positions, Roland is confident that his team will be improved from last seasons’ 4-6 mark.

http://www.lionsports.net/headlines/football/2159

GeauxLions94
March 8th, 2006, 12:51 AM
It'll definitely be interesting to see who the QB will be heading into fall practice. Could be either of the Babin brothers (Seth or Brian), but most people like redshirt freshman Brandon Jones.

Also signed QB Brad Schlosser who played for Coach DR at North Gwinnett in Georgia.

Also need to replace WR's (Huggins, Gonzales, Taylor, Howard) and tackles on offense and 2/3 of LB's along with both DE's and CB Charles Hall.

Really like the RB's with Jay Lucas and Kendrick Perry. If Mario Gilbert and Jerald Watson can both stay healthy, we have a chance to make some major noise in '06 :nod:

Lionsrking
March 8th, 2006, 03:11 AM
Also need to replace WR's (Huggins, Gonzales, Taylor, Howard) and tackles on offense and 2/3 of LB's along with both DE's and CB Charles Hall.

Really like the RB's with Jay Lucas and Kendrick Perry. If Mario Gilbert and Jerald Watson can both stay healthy, we have a chance to make some major noise in '06 :nod:

I believe we only have to replace one starter at defensive end unless something happened to Jay Skidmore. He was a junior this year. I did hear talk that he was up around 270 and could move inside and if that's the case, it would be two. But we have Freddie King and Dwight Womack who both played a lot last year coming back, plus we signed an outstanding juco tranfer in Vince Strickland. He's the real deal!!!

As for running back, I would love for Gilbert and Watson to stay healthy but I have a hunch that will be irrelevant, if you know what I mean. :smiley_wi

GeauxLions94
March 8th, 2006, 12:15 PM
I believe we only have to replace one starter at defensive end unless something happened to Jay Skidmore. He was a junior this year. I did hear talk that he was up around 270 and could move inside and if that's the case, it would be two. But we have Freddie King and Dwight Womack who both played a lot last year coming back, plus we signed an outstanding juco tranfer in Vince Strickland. He's the real deal!!!

As for running back, I would love for Gilbert and Watson to stay healthy but I have a hunch that will be irrelevant, if you know what I mean. :smiley_wi

You're right about the DE's and RB's. Skid is back and the health of Gilbert and Watson might be irrelevant with the addition of Lucas and Perry (two guys who will make your :rotateh:)

Lionsrking
March 8th, 2006, 12:46 PM
You're right about the DE's and RB's. Skid is back and the health of Gilbert and Watson might be irrelevant with the addition of Lucas and Perry (two guys who will make your :rotateh:)

Don't forget about Matt Betts. He's one of the most physical runners you'll ever see and the coaches will have to find a way to get him on the field. He's a 250 lbs bowling ball packed with dynamite and I doubt seriously opposing LBs and DBs are gonna have much fun trying to tackle him over the next four years. He's a great receiver out of the backfield too.

Lionsrking
March 8th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Don't forget about Matt Betts. He's one of the most physical runners you'll ever see and the coaches will have to find a way to get him on the field. He's a 250 lbs bowling ball packed with dynamite and I doubt seriously opposing LBs and DBs are gonna have much fun trying to tackle him over the next four years. He's a great receiver out of the backfield too.

First day of practice went well. It was your typical first day with no pads and a lot of drills but you could easily see how well the offseason conditioning program has been going. Several players showed significant strength and weight gains and the team looks much quicker and more physical as a whole.

TexasTerror
March 9th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Latest from SELA practice...

SOUTHEASTERN FOOTBALL OFFICIALLY OPENS SPRING DRILLS
Posted by dvolz on March 8, 2006, 7:35 pm.

HAMMOND – The second year of the Dennis Roland era officially began when Southeastern Louisiana’s football team opened spring practice Wednesday with a two-hour workout on the Southeastern practice fields.

“Overall, I was real pleased with how things went today,” Roland said. “The practice was very crisp. Our returning players came back in great shape, which is a credit to our off-season workout program under (strength and conditioning coach) Matt Moore. And our newcomers, especially our running backs and linebackers, were really impressive. I liked what I saw from them.”

One of the key positions Roland is looking to fill is at quarterback where departed starter Trey Willie was one of 13 players earning All-Southland Conference accolades. Returning letterwinner Seth Babin, who served as Willie’s backup in 2005, plus redshirt freshmen Brian Babin and Brandon Jones took the majority of snaps during

http://www.lionsports.net/headlines/football/2167

TexasTerror
March 11th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Latest from SELA...

LIONS PUT ON PADS FOR FIRST TIME IN MORNING WORKOUT
Posted by dvolz on March 11, 2006, 3:03 pm.

HAMMOND – Southeastern Louisiana’s football team put on the pads for the first time during spring drills as it held a two-hour workout Saturday morning in Strawberry Stadium.

The Lions, under second-year head coach Dennis Roland, worked on all phases in full gear before ending its session in “Bandit” drills with quarterbacks Seth and Brian Babin and Brandon Jones running the offense. Southeastern was also able to evaluate its improved running game highlighted by transfers Jay Lucas (Texas A&M) and Kendrick Perry (Ole Miss).

“I saw some things out of (Kendrick) Perry and (Jay) Lucas that I was hoping to see,” Roland said. “I saw some good cuts, but it was hard to tell because we weren’t tackling. It was a contact, no tackle day.

http://www.lionsports.net/headlines/football/2178

TexasTerror
March 11th, 2006, 06:26 PM
From I-AA.org/Lionsports.net, the latest from Spring Practice...

Hammond – Southeastern Louisiana’s football team put on the pads for the first time during spring drills as it held a two-hour workout Saturday morning in Strawberry Stadium.

The Lions, under second-year head coach Dennis Roland, worked on all phases in full gear before ending its session in “Bandit” drills with quarterbacks Seth and Brian Babin and Brandon Jones running the offense. Southeastern was also able to evaluate its improved running game highlighted by transfers Jay Lucas (Texas A&M) and Kendrick Perry (Ole Miss).

“I saw some things out of (Kendrick) Perry and (Jay) Lucas that I was hoping to see,” Roland said. “I saw some good cuts, but it was hard to tell because we weren’t tackling. It was a contact, no tackle day.

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=76824

GeauxLions94
March 11th, 2006, 10:17 PM
The quarterback battle is shaping up nicely. IMO, redshirt freshman Brandon Jones looks to be the favorite. Nice size (6-3, 200) and has some escapability like Trey Willie. Looks to have as much poise in the pocket than Martin Hankins, who was the QB two years ago, but transferred to Memphis last summer.

Lionsrking
March 12th, 2006, 12:44 AM
The quarterback battle is shaping up nicely. IMO, redshirt freshman Brandon Jones looks to be the favorite. Nice size (6-3, 200) and has some escapability like Trey Willie. Looks to have as much poise in the pocket than Martin Hankins, who was the QB two years ago, but transferred to Memphis last summer.

I don't want to call the QB race too soon but you don't need to have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night to figure out that Brandon Jones has looked really good so far. We'll see what happens the rest of the spring and into fall camp but from what I've seen so far, I won't lose any sleep if he's the man pulling the trigger for us. Good size, great arm with touch and accuracy, calm feet in the pocket, mobility...potential is there for him to have a great career. But it's still early and he has yet to do anything in a real game.

On another note. When our freshmen get here in the fall, we may have the biggest (meaning size) group of WRs in the United States of America and Mississippi too. :) We have Krishna Mohammed (6-4, 205), Merrick Lanaux (6-4, 190), Robbie Scates (6-4, 220) in camp now. In the fall we'll have Crawford Kilpatrick (6-5, 205), Luis Sobalvarro (6-3, 200), Kendrick Walls (6-2, 205) and Jamarr Garrett (6-2, 180). Throw in RBs Kendrick Perry (6-2, 230), Jay Lucas (5-11, 225), Mario Gilbert (5-10, 220) and Matt Betts (5-9, 250) and that makes for some pretty big skill people.

GeauxLions94
March 12th, 2006, 05:35 PM
I don't want to call the QB race too soon but you don't need to have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night to figure out that Brandon Jones has looked really good so far. We'll see what happens the rest of the spring and into fall camp but from what I've seen so far, I won't lose any sleep if he's the man pulling the trigger for us. Good size, great arm with touch and accuracy, calm feet in the pocket, mobility...potential is there for him to have a great career. But it's still early and he has yet to do anything in a real game.

On another note. When our freshmen get here in the fall, we may have the biggest (meaning size) group of WRs in the United States of America and Mississippi too. :) We have Krishna Mohammed (6-4, 205), Merrick Lanaux (6-4, 190), Robbie Scates (6-4, 220) in camp now. In the fall we'll have Crawford Kilpatrick (6-5, 205), Luis Sobalvarro (6-3, 200), Kendrick Walls (6-2, 205) and Jamarr Garrett (6-2, 180). Throw in RBs Kendrick Perry (6-2, 230), Jay Lucas (5-11, 225), Mario Gilbert (5-10, 220) and Matt Betts (5-9, 250) and that makes for some pretty big skill people.

And in Betts, you mean big horizontally :p

Lionsrking
March 12th, 2006, 06:28 PM
And in Betts, you mean big horizontally :p

As I've said before, he's a bowling bowl packed with dynamite!!!:nod: :nod: :nod: