PDA

View Full Version : Most intriguing FBS matchups for 2011

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 7th, 2011, 11:07 PM
In no particular order…
Let me know if there are any interesting one not mentioned.

1. Appalachian State @ Virginia Tech – can the FCS embarrass the ACC again? I don’t think Appy will have the defense to do it, but it will still be interesting to watch
2. Delaware @ Navy – The series continues, and should be a good game like it usually is
3. Eastern Washington @ Washington – Don’t bet against EWU in this one. This might be the most interesting FCS-FBS game of the year. UW has no idea what is going to be unleashed on them.
4. James Madison @ UNC – Given JMU’s recent history with the ACC, there is no reason to not expect a good game this time
5. Richmond @ Duke – see #4
6. William & Mary @ Virginia – see #5
7. Villanova @ Temple – Will this still be a good game without Nova’s stars? I think it will be.
8. North Dakota State @ Minnesota – If you’ve got to pick one FCS-FBS game where the FCS team might win by more than a touchdown, it’s this one.
9. Elon @ Vanderbilt – If Elon has a quarterback for this season, they could make this a game.
10. Jacksonville State @ Kentucky – Jax State and a lower-tier SEC team. Are you thinking what I’m thinking?
11. Stony Brook @ Buffalo – The Big South’s best chance to make it two years in a row with an FBS win.
12. Central Arkansas @ Arkansas State – After a 2-9 Southeastern Louisiana team went toe-to-toe with ULM (they lost by one point), you’ve got to be thinking one of the better SLC teams can beat a Sun Belt team.
13. New Hampshire @ Toledo – UNH could beat yet another FBS mid-major if they could find some offense.
14. Wofford @ Clemson – After JMU beat Virginia Tech, why the heck not? Wofford should be pretty solid and Clemson seems to be on the decline. You never know

Screamin_Eagle174
May 8th, 2011, 03:21 AM
Can't wait!

GSU EAGLES
May 8th, 2011, 11:57 AM
In no particular order…
Let me know if there are any interesting one not mentioned.

1. Appalachian State @ Virginia Tech – can the FCS embarrass the ACC again? I don’t think Appy will have the defense to do it, but it will still be interesting to watch
2. Delaware @ Navy – The series continues, and should be a good game like it usually is
3. Eastern Washington @ Washington – Don’t bet against EWU in this one. This might be the most interesting FCS-FBS game of the year. UW has no idea what is going to be unleashed on them.
4. James Madison @ UNC – Given JMU’s recent history with the ACC, there is no reason to not expect a good game this time
5. Richmond @ Duke – see #4
6. William & Mary @ Virginia – see #5
7. Villanova @ Temple – Will this still be a good game without Nova’s stars? I think it will be.
8. North Dakota State @ Minnesota – If you’ve got to pick one FCS-FBS game where the FCS team might win by more than a touchdown, it’s this one.
9. Elon @ Vanderbilt – If Elon has a quarterback for this season, they could make this a game.
10. Jacksonville State @ Kentucky – Jax State and a lower-tier SEC team. Are you thinking what I’m thinking?
11. Stony Brook @ Buffalo – The Big South’s best chance to make it two years in a row with an FBS win.
12. Central Arkansas @ Arkansas State – After a 2-9 Southeastern Louisiana team went toe-to-toe with ULM (they lost by one point), you’ve got to be thinking one of the better SLC teams can beat a Sun Belt team.
13. New Hampshire @ Toledo – UNH could beat yet another FBS mid-major if they could find some offense.
14. Wofford @ Clemson – After JMU beat Virginia Tech, why the heck not? Wofford should be pretty solid and Clemson seems to be on the decline. You never know

How did you miss Ga Southern at Bama? The most storied FCS program against one of the top all time FBS programs......not to mention the similar uniforms.

ValleyChamp
May 8th, 2011, 02:21 PM
UNI at Iowa State will be a good game.

cmaxwellgsu
May 8th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I would call W&M and Richmond favorites in their games. I also would pick Wofford, ND State, Delaware, EWU, Villanova, and UNH to win their games. Kentucky got to see what happened to Ole Miss, so I don't see Jax St sneaking up on them.

While our game is intriguing, it's going to be very difficult to knock off Bama. I'll be there to see if we can do it.

bjtheflamesfan
May 8th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Liberty @ NC State should be an interesting one as well...the Flames have always played close with FBS teams under Danny Rocco and they gave a decent Wake Forest team a run in 2006. Add to that the fact that Russell Wilson will not be at the helm this year and this could be the year that the Flames start off a magical season with a I-A/FBS win (and their first ever two game winning streak against I-A/FBS schools)

Tribal
May 8th, 2011, 04:30 PM
FBS in a sweep.

Richmond and North Dakota State are the best chances. None others on that list are likely to occur based on trends.

Huh? W&M just beat UVA in 2009 (the last time they played). UNH always plays their FBS opponents close (and beats them). W&M was beating UNC in the 4th quarter last year so why couldn't JMU pull it off? And, Temple needed a last minute run to beat Nova last time.

tribefan40
May 8th, 2011, 04:40 PM
FBS in a sweep.

Richmond and North Dakota State are the best chances. None others on that list are likely to occur based on trends.

I'd be interested to hear about these trends you speak of. While I agree that the FBS teams will, as always, win a majority of these games, the only trend I'm aware of is more of these games going to the FCS squad with increasing regularity.

chattownmocs
May 8th, 2011, 06:11 PM
How can you leave out Montana at Tennessee? The griz going to vaunted neyland stadium. I must admit I am big orange through and through Go vols.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 8th, 2011, 06:15 PM
How can you leave out Montana at Tennessee? The griz going to vaunted neyland stadium. I must admit I am big orange through and through Go vols.

Lane *****in' Kiffin. xnonono2x

xlolx

Grizzaholic
May 8th, 2011, 06:20 PM

No ****. Why isn't this game number 1? I mean, since when do the Griz leave Montana to play football?

poly51
May 8th, 2011, 07:13 PM
How about Cal Poly at San Diego State. The Mustangs are looking to go 3-0 against the Aztecs since 2006.

My nephew's half brother plays LB for the Aztecs and they really want to avenge the prior two losses.

bojeta
May 8th, 2011, 07:22 PM

I agree 100%!! That's one I'm going to watch if at all possible. Also, (bias admitted) Cal Poly plays TWO defending FBS bowl champions: 9-4 San Diego State and 11-3 Northern Illinois. To tell the truth, I wish I could watch every FCS vs FBS. Most will be blowouts, true, but I relish every successful play by the underdogs and ALWAYS hopeful for an upset!!

ncbears
May 8th, 2011, 08:34 PM
NoCo VS Colorado State will be a good one. Campuses are separated by only 30 miles. CSU has struggled to beat other Big Sky teams. I don't think UNC will win but it will be close.

Seawolf97
May 8th, 2011, 08:41 PM
I have to believe we will keep it close against both UTEP and Buffalo. By close I mean 14 points , I dont see us going to the woodshed as we did last year against South Florida. That game also cost us several starters including our star RB Ed Gowins lost for season.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 8th, 2011, 09:20 PM
CSU has struggled to beat other Big Sky teams.

So has UNC. xlolx

Sorry, couldn't resist.

ncbears
May 8th, 2011, 09:43 PM
So has UNC. xlolx

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Yeah, I set you up for that one

Screamin_Eagle174
May 8th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Yeah, I set you up for that one

That said, any year now you guys are gonna turn the corner. You had both BSC co-champs on the ropes most of the game, along with close ones against Weber and NAU. Hopefully the coaching change doesn't mess with what you've been building on down there, but unfortunately I think it will. We had a LOT of talent returning in 2008, but Baldwin's first year was a little rough still.

Mountaineer
May 8th, 2011, 09:55 PM

For a half maybe. xlolx No way the Hokies come out and lay an egg in this one.

darell1976
May 8th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I think UND may pull one out against Idaho. UND did lose 45-0 last season that was a disater...but history proves UND doesn't repeat bad seasons, and we have a new QB, plus young kids that are older and could pull out an upset!

cmaxwellgsu
May 8th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I'd be interested to hear about these trends you speak of. While I agree that the FBS teams will, as always, win a majority of these games, the only trend I'm aware of is more of these games going to the FCS squad with increasing regularity.

Would love to hear those as well since your conference swept the ACC not too long ago...

Big Dawg
May 8th, 2011, 10:26 PM
FAMU plays USF...eh...I hope we can win(or keep the game relatively close), but hey you know how that goes.

bojeta
May 9th, 2011, 12:59 AM
I hope Montana beats Tennessee. That would be a good day.

I have a feeling about that game. Montana matches up well size wise with Tenn. First games are always messy and if Montana is pumped up for the upset, I think they can pull it off.

bojeta
May 9th, 2011, 01:04 AM
I say, just for fun....., prior to week 1, we run an FCS vs FBS predictions thread. You have to pick them all in the first shot. I already know three I'm going with: Cal Poly over San Diego State, Montana over Tenn., No Colorado over Colorado State. Yeah... I'm nuts.

EdubAlum
May 9th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Idaho is 2-0 in its history with North Dakota beating the Sioux 45-0 in 1954, and then last year by the score of. . . . .45-0. Somehow, I wonder if much change ever occurs after 50+ years. Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no.

Idaho has vastly improved from the 1-11 teams of the past decade as well, and as a Boise State fan, it kills me to say that.

darell1976
May 9th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Idaho is 2-0 in its history with North Dakota beating the Sioux 45-0 in 1954, and then last year by the score of. . . . .45-0. Somehow, I wonder if much change ever occurs after 50+ years. Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no.

This year I guarantee.........we will put points on the board 2 or more at least.xnodx

tribefan40
May 9th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Trust me, it's no easier than listening to the comments that Wofford will beat Clemson. Clemson has never lost to an FCS team since the Division 1 split. No doubt in my mind that Clemson will easily defeat Wofford just as it easily defeated Furman on multiple occasions as well as The Citadel.

Thanks for the tidbit about Clemson. I guess I was more interested in actually hearing about your 'trends.' Not trying to be a homer but these are the stats I looked up: Since 2002 the current CAA has 15 wins against FBS, Six in the last three seasons, Four in 2009. Total scoring heavily favors the FBS schools, but average loss has dropped from 24 in 2008 to 14 in 2010. Three of the losses last year were by a touchdown or less and two of the FBS squads needed last-second heroics to pull it out. I guess what I was getting at earlier is that beating FBS schools is becoming less 'will it happen this year?' and more 'How many will FCS beat this year?' That elite group of FBS teams will and should be untouchable by teams at the FCS level, but in general FCS is playing with the bigger boys and holding their own.xtwocentsx

DG Cowboy
May 9th, 2011, 01:22 PM
No intrigue for McNeese and Kansas September 3?

chattownmocs
May 9th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I have a feeling about that game. Montana matches up well size wise with Tenn. First games are always messy and if Montana is pumped up for the upset, I think they can pull it off.

I'm not buying. Tennessee has had 3 straight top 15 recruiting classes. I find it hard to believe that Montana can match up with Tennessee's size or speed. That Tennessee offensive line will be young but massive. I think the vols will have their way in that one. Of course I am a Tennessee fan so no surprise. Not to mention the sheer size and intimidation factor of Neyland Stadium and Rocky Top.

StorminASU
May 9th, 2011, 02:34 PM
How does your love for Tenn. compare to your (assumed) alma mater?

OB55
May 9th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Do we REALLY have a poster here displaying a Breed-em-Young avatar, for reals??
xsmhxxsmhxxsmhx

chattownmocs
May 9th, 2011, 03:27 PM
How does your love for Tenn. compare to your (assumed) alma mater?

Tennessee is my Alma Mater. Chattanooga is where I have lived since I was a kid outside of college.

The Eagle's Cliff
May 9th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Tennessee is my Alma Mater. Chattanooga is where I have lived since I was a kid outside of college.

Don't all degrees in the Tenn University System read "University of Tennessee", whether Knoxville, Chatty, Martin?

bojeta
May 9th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I'm not buying. Tennessee has had 3 straight top 15 recruiting classes. I find it hard to believe that Montana can match up with Tennessee's size or speed. That Tennessee offensive line will be young but massive. I think the vols will have their way in that one. Of course I am a Tennessee fan so no surprise. Not to mention the sheer size and intimidation factor of Neyland Stadium and Rocky Top.

Have you looked at the Montana roster? Geez... when they came to play Cal Poly this year, I was looking at the field in disbelief and then I bought a program to confirm. Something like 15 players over 6' 5" and maybe twenty in the 300 lbs range (don't have the program with me now). And there are NO DOUGH BOYS on that Montana team. We're talking 6'5" 300+ and lean. Ya... they match up size wize. Speed, no, you're correct there. But that's the beauty of those opening day games, if you're not executing well and it turns into a brawl, you've got a chance as long as you can hang physically. I know I'm going against the odds, but I just have a feeling is all :)

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 9th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I have to believe we will keep it close against both UTEP and Buffalo. By close I mean 14 points , I dont see us going to the woodshed as we did last year against South Florida. That game also cost us several starters including our star RB Ed Gowins lost for season

A terrible Buffalo squad beat a pretty good URI team 33-0 last year. The Bulls figure to be better this year. UB returns quite a few starters and the additional time with the new coaching staff should help. I'll be surprised if SBU can keep this one within 21 points.

The fact is, most of these games won't be close.

CrunchGriz
May 9th, 2011, 06:09 PM
As much of a Griz fan as I am, I can't call this game for the Griz, but you're right about the size of Montana's offensive line. Here are the projected starters (so far):

57 Charles Burton SR OT 6-5 315 Long Beach, Calif. (Milikan HS)
68 Stephen Sabin SR OC 6-4 308 Chandler, Ariz. (Scottsdale CC)
74 Jon Opperud SR OT 6-7 300 Portland, Ore. (Milwaukie HS)
75 William Poehls SO OG 6-8 286 Chandler, Ariz. (Chandler HS)
76 Danny Kistler SO OT 6-8 322 Seattle, Wash. (O'Dea HS) (probably at OG)

Average size: Approximately 6'6.5" and 306 pounds.

Probably still not Tennessee-sized, but hardly little.

Hard to match up with the speed, though. Montana has a couple of burners, Tennessee has a team full of 'em.

Fordham
May 9th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Fordham v. UCONN

Fordham v. Army

C'mon, fellas, our first DI/FBS games in decades and we can't make a top 15 list at least? xbawlingx

Seawolf97
May 9th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Fordham v. UCONN

Fordham v. Army

C'mon, fellas, our first DI/FBS games in decades and we can't make a top 15 list at least? xbawlingx

I will give you a vote. You have to start somewhere. Good local match ups - I'm sure the local media will play it up positively for you guysxhurrayx

UNH Fanboi
May 9th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Fordham v. UCONN

Fordham v. Army

Losing to a DII last year doesn't give us much reason for optimism. Good luck though.

ncbears
May 9th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Not a chance. Greeley has never played an FBS team close. . . . .ever. Northern Colorado can beat poor Division II Adams State College 54-0, but when the best you can do is win three games as an FCS team, then competing against CSU-Fort Collins likely won't happen. Granted, Fort Collins isn't West Lafayette, Honolulu, or East Lansing, but it's better than Weber and Sacramento State. I'll take the Rams by at least five touchdowns for the game.
You're insane you crazy mormon. Go back to Tennessee with that ****. Have you seen "CSU-Fort Collins" play? Btw, who calls them "CSU-Fort Collins."?

Redbird Ray
May 10th, 2011, 09:09 AM
It's not a sexy game, but don't be surprised if Indiana State "upsets" Western Kentucky. If Indy State has any of the firepower they had last season, then this is a winnable game.

jmufan999
May 10th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the tidbit about Clemson. I guess I was more interested in actually hearing about your 'trends.' Not trying to be a homer but these are the stats I looked up: Since 2002 the current CAA has 15 wins against FBS, Six in the last three seasons, Four in 2009. Total scoring heavily favors the FBS schools, but average loss has dropped from 24 in 2008 to 14 in 2010. Three of the losses last year were by a touchdown or less and two of the FBS squads needed last-second heroics to pull it out. I guess what I was getting at earlier is that beating FBS schools is becoming less 'will it happen this year?' and more 'How many will FCS beat this year?' That elite group of FBS teams will and should be untouchable by teams at the FCS level, but in general FCS is playing with the bigger boys and holding their own.xtwocentsx

this is a great post.

UNIFanSince1983
May 10th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I think UNI vs ISU should be a good game, but ISU I think will be greatly improved this year. I really hope Rennie has gotten a little better passing otherwise this year might be just like at ISU last year.

As for the Tennessee vs. Montana game. It should be good. I do think Montana can match the size of Tennessee up. The problem will be that Tennessee's size has lots of speed too...

professor8315
May 10th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I considerally hope that this board relizes that in the FBS vs FCS matchups, FBS wins 93% of the times ith a 27 points differential. Out of the 88 FBS vs FCS games schedules in 2011 FCS will do well to win two or three games.

NHwildEcat
May 10th, 2011, 02:58 PM
FBS in a sweep.

UNH will beat Toledo.

henfan
May 10th, 2011, 03:45 PM
UNH will beat Toledo.

Wouldn't be a shocker. UNH will be the best FCS/I-AA team that the Rockets have seen since the Regan administration.

henfan
May 10th, 2011, 03:54 PM
ason to not expect a good game this time.

Navy's 8-7 vs. UD. Whenever these two teams square off, it's usually a toss up, despite UD having to have played the last 6 games in Annapolis. I like the fact that UD has all summer to prepare for the triple option.

ncbears
May 10th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Is there not a CSU in Pueblo? Honestly, that's probably two Colorado State teams that could beat Northern Colorado

I have seen the Rams play, and they don't play as bad as Northern Colorado. They would never lose to Chadron State 31-0 in any season nor do they play down to NoCo's competition as members of the Mountain West. I don't gamble, but there's no way in the world I bet against CSU-Fort Collins beating a team that has never won more than three games since leaving Division II. Please, be realistic. The game is already decided. Greeley is justing getting a modest paycheck. That is the order of the beast. Until Northern Colorado can win more games than they lose in Division 1, you cannot blame me or anyone else for what is right there in front of us. I see a Colorado State Rams team that is going to take NoCo to the woodshed like Hawaii, Kansas, Purdue, and Michigan State before them. You have to understand that beating Adams State 54-0 isn't very impressive. Maybe it is to you, but it isn't to me or alot of other people. Losing in blowout fashion to several FCS schools isn't helping your case either.

When we're talking FCS versus FBS, you can just refer them to them as CSU. Mormon boy, are you referring to the same CSU team that barely beat Sac State and needed a botched field goal by Weber State to beat the Wildcats? I never said beating Adams State was impressive.

CrunchGriz
May 10th, 2011, 05:09 PM
As much of a Griz fan as I am, I can't call this game for the Griz, but you're right about the size of Montana's offensive line. Here are the projected starters (so far):

Hard to match up with the speed, though. Montana has a couple of burners, Tennessee has a team full of 'em.

Just checked Tennessee's website to see how big their O-line is.

It's big. It averages 6'5" and 319 pounds. The rest of their projected starters on both sides of the ball don't look that much bigger than the Griz, although the QB looks like a tall drink of water at 6'6", 210.

kalm
May 10th, 2011, 06:00 PM

xeekx

Yee gads, that's more height the EWU's basketball team.

ncbears
May 10th, 2011, 07:40 PM
And yet Colorado State still won those games. Spin it anyway you want. Colorado State doesn't lose to FCS teams, and they will not lose to a 3-win at best Northern Colorado team. Colorado State has fallen on hard times, but good heavens buddy, they haven't fallen off the planet. A loss to Northern Colorado would do it, but Colorado State is one of those schools like Clemson in that they have never lost to an FCS team since the Division 1 split, so why would they now, and why would they lose to a team that has to schedule a Division II school to collect one of its maximum 3 wins a season?

By the way, I don't understand what me being Mormon has to do with this discussion, but I see you are very interested in highlighting religion rather than discussing why Northern Colorado can't win more than three games. Can you elaborate on that?

Mormon boy, I never said UNC was going to beat CSU. Never. We get blown out by the likes of Mich. State, Purdue, Kansas, Hawaii. Two of those teams had Heisman- Type QB's. We won't lose by 5 TD's to a bottom feeder Mountain West team. UNC isn't very good, but neither is CSU.

TheBisonator
May 10th, 2011, 07:50 PM
And yet Colorado State still won those games. Spin it anyway you want. Colorado State doesn't lose to FCS teams, and they will not lose to a 3-win at best Northern Colorado team. Colorado State has fallen on hard times, but good heavens buddy, they haven't fallen off the planet. A loss to Northern Colorado would do it, but Colorado State is one of those schools like Clemson in that they have never lost to an FCS team since the Division 1 split, so why would they now, and why would they lose to a team that has to schedule a Division II school to collect one of its maximum 3 wins a season?

Kansas had never lost to an FCS/I-AA team in its entire existence, and they played a 3-8 (09 record) North Dakota State team last year, and the result was.... Yeah.

So you can basically throw out the 3-win argument. Seasons for many football teams change wildly.

And I don't think Colorado State should be used as the gold standard of measuring FBS schools that absolutely CANNOT lose to an FCS team, even if they give the ball away every play.

henfan
May 10th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Toledo would have to achieve less in 2011 then what they did in 2010 if they are to lose to New Hampshire.

While it is true that New Hampshire is the best FCS they've likely faced since the 1988 loss to McNeese, it is also true that New Hampshire has only faced one FBS team in that same time span that was capable of winning more than four games (Pittsburgh last year which drilled them). So unless Toledo falls off the planet in 2011 sliding from the 8-win team they were in 2010 to a 4-win or less team, I don't think New Hampshire will beat them. New Hampshire won't be able to beat a Toledo team that finishes above .500 for the season.

When UNH visits UT both teams will 0-0. What each team does the rest of the season from then on will have absolutely no bearing on the outcome of the game on 9/1/11.

This will be a tough one for UNH to win no doubt but I'll be surprised if UT is able to win by more than a score. Sean McDonnell-coached teams are always very well-prepared and disciplined.

Twentysix
May 10th, 2011, 08:38 PM
This year I guarantee.........we will put points on the board 2 or more at least.xnodx

You mean one or more, you could always get a safety on there extra point attempt.

Twentysix
May 10th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Indiana State would do well to stop Bobby Rainey who I expect will have a much better year than in 2010. He's going to be one of those really good players no one's ever heard of. Indiana State has lost the last 12 straight to Western Kentucky.

Indiana state also lost like 60 games in a row prior to this season, and they were almost a border line playoff team this season. I fully expect ISUb to beat WKU or be damn close.

UNHFan
May 10th, 2011, 08:47 PM
UNH Over Toledo... with ease. We dont have Toman anymore! Playing with a full Deck?

Yes I am! Cant wait for this season to begin...

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 10th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I think UNH can give Toledo a run for their money. With that said, i will be pretty surprised if they actually win. Toledo returns 18 starters from a decent 8-5 team. Their first five games are UNH, Ohio State, Boise State, Syracuse and Temple so they'll be extremely focused on getting out of the gate with a win.

Twentysix
May 10th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Kansas had never lost to an FCS/I-AA team in its entire existence, and they played a 3-8 (09 record) North Dakota State team last year, and the result was.... Yeah.

So you can basically throw out the 3-win argument. Seasons for many football teams change wildly.

And I don't think Colorado State should be used as the gold standard of measuring FBS schools that absolutely CANNOT lose to an FCS team, even if they give the ball away every play.

Colorado State can and will lose the season after this. What happens this season to colorado state is irrelivant imo.

11:59 PM 9/8/12 CSU will be 0-1.

http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=11844&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&Q_SEASON=2012

Also in 2013 Kansas St is going down! Big 12 scaaaarrrry lul

tribefan40
May 10th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Intersting article I came across thought would add to the conversation:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703556604575501740109812272.html

seems to indidcate what most think that FBS should dominate most matchups but gives a nod to the upper echelon of FCS making it more interesting as of late.

Also Interesting to note that 13 of the 23 victories over teams from the big six conferences have come since 2006.

JSU02
May 11th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Intersting article I came across thought would add to the conversation:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703556604575501740109812272.html

Kudos to my old management professor for calling the author out on his glaring omission of JSU's win over Ole Miss in that article's comment section.

So I guess the only two SEC losses to the FCS were the JSU/Ole Miss and Maine/Miss State games?

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 11th, 2011, 07:17 AM
for Montana @ Tennessee...
If this game was happening last year I'd very much like UM's chances, but I think UT will have their crap together this year.

regarding Wofford @ Clemson
Honestly, I can see this game being close. Clemson isn't going to be very good and Wofford should be a top 5.

Twentysix
May 11th, 2011, 07:31 AM
for Montana @ Tennessee...
If this game was happening last year I'd very much like UM's chances, but I think UT will have their crap together this year.

regarding Wofford @ Clemson
Honestly, I can see this game being close. Clemson isn't going to be very good and Wofford should be a top 5.

The Griz toppled Tennessee last year (OU). No reason a bear by the same name cant do it again :P.

chattownmocs
May 11th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Ohh, I can still remember the days a decade or so ago when the thought of anyone not named Florida, and Led by Steve Spurrier, rolling into Neyland Stadium and toppling the vols in front of 100K+ seemed far fetched. Oh how the mighty have fallen, oh well, Tennessee is about to be back. I expect them to dominate Montana in all phases and win something like 45-13. But hey. like i said, I'm biased.

jimbo65
May 11th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Perhaps intriguing is not the correct word but Fordham opens UConn's season. UConn's last game was v. Oklahoma. Think they will notice a difference. The Fordham Coach came from Central CT St. and I believe had a friendly relationship with Coch Edsall. Unfortunately Coach Edsall is gone & replaced by the Syracuse coach. No mercy is expected. This is only our second schollie class. On Oct 29 we play away at West Point. There is a chance in that one.

THE HERD
May 11th, 2011, 03:31 PM
NoCo VS Colorado State will be a good one. Campuses are separated by only 30 miles. CSU has struggled to beat other Big Sky teams. I don't think UNC will win but it will be close.

What is CSU looking like for next year? NDSU plays out there next year and was just wondering if CSU will be a senior laden team or a young rebuilding type.

bojeta
May 11th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Just checked Tennessee's website to see how big their O-line is.

It's big. It averages 6'5" and 319 pounds. The rest of their projected starters on both sides of the ball don't look that much bigger than the Griz, although the QB looks like a tall drink of water at 6'6", 210.

Ouch! A big QB behind that sort of line can wreck havoc on a secondary! Good luck Griz. I still think you can pull it off if only because of "first game" chaos.

UNH Fanboi
May 11th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Toledo would have to achieve less in 2011 then what they did in 2010 if they are to lose to New Hampshire.

While it is true that New Hampshire is the best FCS they've likely faced since the 1988 loss to McNeese, it is also true that New Hampshire has only faced one FBS team in that same time span that was capable of winning more than four games (Pittsburgh last year which drilled them). So unless Toledo falls off the planet in 2011 sliding from the 8-win team they were in 2010 to a 4-win or less team, I don't think New Hampshire will beat them. New Hampshire won't be able to beat a Toledo team that finishes above .500 for the season.

8 wins in the MAC doesnt mean that much. Toledo will be the fave, but unh is very much a live dog.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 11th, 2011, 08:14 PM
MAC vs FCS in 2010

Gardner Webb 38 Akron 37
Liberty 27 Ball State 23
Buffalo 31 URI 0
CMU 33 Hampton 0
NIU 23 North Dakota 17
Ohio 33 Wofford 10
Temple 31 Villanova 24
Western Michigan 49 Nicholls State 14
Kent State 41 Murray State 10

srgrizizen
May 11th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Ohh, I can still remember the days a decade or so ago when the thought of anyone not named Florida, and Led by Steve Spurrier, rolling into Neyland Stadium and toppling the vols in front of 100K+ seemed far fetched. Oh how the mighty have fallen, oh well, Tennessee is about to be back. I expect them to dominate Montana in all phases and win something like 45-13. But hey. like i said, I'm biased.

I think you're logical, not biased. Your conference is light years above the Big Sky, you have 20something more scholarships and recruit an area that has more football players just within 50 miles of campus than UM has in the entire state. UM has serious questions on offense and will be miserable in the heat. The outside chance is to look respectable in a loss, but I think the chances of a UM win are less than 1 in 100. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it happening.

benchedpunter
May 11th, 2011, 10:07 PM
I think Delaware Navy will be great, what a good list.

CrazyCat
May 11th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Utah vs. MSU. Intriguing? Definately.

citdog
May 11th, 2011, 11:33 PM
I think the Griz will give Tennessee all they want.

UNH Fanboi
May 12th, 2011, 06:36 AM
And apparently 8 wins in the CAA means even less. New Hampshire won 10 games in 2009 and only beat 2-10 Ball State by a single touchdown. Like I said, if New Hampshire wins, then Toledo won't win more than 5 games.

Nova beat a 9-win Temple team in 2009 and nearly beat an 8-win Temple last year. Top CAA teams can compete with top MAC teams.

Last year's MAC champ beat a 3-8 North Dakota by 6 points. The MAC is just not that good.

NHwildEcat
May 12th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Then what does that make the CAA?

It makes the CAA very good regarding the classification it plays in...I don't see your point, other then the fact you bring up claims of "trends" that would not favor some FCS schools.

This thread was about the most intriguing games with FBS teams this year...not the guarantee to beat the FBS squads...you ignore that UNH has a trend of beating programs that are on par with Toledo...yes we lost to Pitt last year, but they are a quality team so it is quite different.

Bison77
May 14th, 2011, 09:25 AM
You're 100% right CSU will own UNC. UNC needs to show it can win games like this and so far they've failed badly.

Milktruck74
May 14th, 2011, 10:24 AM
I think you're logical, not biased. Your conference is light years above the Big Sky, you have 20something more scholarships and recruit an area that has more football players just within 50 miles of campus than UM has in the entire state. UM has serious questions on offense and will be miserable in the heat. The outside chance is to look respectable in a loss, but I think the chances of a UM win are less than 1 in 100. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it happening.

Without looking, I would say there are less than 3 players from a 50 mile radius on UT-Knoxville's 2-Deep roster. Traditionally they do not recruit their home state, except maybe Memphis.

Milktruck74
May 14th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Ok Bare with me... I'm going to say the Chattanooga vs Nebraska match-up is very intriguing. Not because Chatty will take it down to the wire and pull of a 3rd OT victory (it would be nice), but due to the past few years history of Chatty vs 1A teams.

2008 Chatty vs Oklahoma - Bradford wins Heisman and OU plays for a National Title (kinda)
2009 Chatty vs Alabama - Ingrahm wins the Heisman and Bama wins the National Title
2010 Chatty vs Auburn - Newton wins the Heisman and Auburn wins the National Title
2011 Chatty vs Nebraska - Martinez could make a run for the Heisman, and if they regroup after last years bowl game...they could be in the hunt.

If Nebraska wins the NC, how many FBS ADs will be trying to schedule Chatty in 2012?

darell1976
May 14th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Ok Bare with me... I'm going to say the Chattanooga vs Nebraska match-up is very intriguing. Not because Chatty will take it down to the wire and pull of a 3rd OT victory (it would be nice), but due to the past few years history of Chatty vs 1A teams.

2008 Chatty vs Oklahoma - Bradford wins Heisman and OU plays for a National Title (kinda)
2009 Chatty vs Alabama - Ingrahm wins the Heisman and Bama wins the National Title
2010 Chatty vs Auburn - Newton wins the Heisman and Auburn wins the National Title
2011 Chatty vs Nebraska - Martinez could make a run for the Heisman, and if they regroup after last years bowl game...they could be in the hunt.

If Nebraska wins the NC, how many FBS ADs will be trying to schedule Chatty in 2012?

As a Husker fan I hope this comes true!! Thanks Chatty!!!!

Walkon79
May 16th, 2011, 04:14 PM
The Utes in SLC under Thursday Night Lights. Their first year in the PAC 12, and driveable for most MSU fans

This one should be a blast!!

bojeta
May 16th, 2011, 05:08 PM
The Utes in SLC under Thursday Night Lights. Their first year in the PAC 12, and driveable for most MSU fans

This one should be a blast!!

Yes, that will be an interesting one to watch!

Professor Chaos
May 16th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Nova beat a 9-win Temple team in 2009 and nearly beat an 8-win Temple last year. Top CAA teams can compete with top MAC teams.

Last year's MAC champ beat a 3-8 North Dakota by 6 points. The MAC is just not that good.

And in 2007 NDSU beat the MAC champ Central Michigan 44-14 on the road.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 16th, 2011, 11:21 PM
And in 2007 NDSU beat the MAC champ Central Michigan 44-14 on the road.

That was an especially horrid MAC champ. CMU's '07 OOC performance, Kansas 52-7, Purdue 45-22, NDSU 44-14 and Clemson 70-7.

The NIU-ND score last year is a bit surprising. The Huskies were a very solid FBS team.

bojeta
May 17th, 2011, 12:17 AM
In 2008, Cal Poly beat San Diego State and then played Wisconsin the final game of the regular season. Cal Poly dominated most of the game but wound up losing in double overtime due to FIVE missed kicks. If our kicker had been on that Saturday, Poly would have easily won and Wisconsin would not have gone on to a bowl game. Final score 35-36.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/bojeta/College%20Sports/email-to-Mustang-Daily-Wisc.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/bojeta/College%20Sports/CPWisconsin3.jpg

darell1976
May 17th, 2011, 08:03 AM
That was an especially horrid MAC champ. CMU's '07 OOC performance, Kansas 52-7, Purdue 45-22, NDSU 44-14 and Clemson 70-7.

The NIU-ND score last year is a bit surprising. The Huskies were a very solid FBS team.

UND lost 23-17, but had a chance to win. We had a TD called back to the 1 inch line (turnover on downs), then we had the ball at the NIU 27 with 9 seconds left in the game but was picked off in the end zone.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 17th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Biased, but EWU vs. UW will be the most intriguing. First time UW has played an FCS, gonna be against in state school, who happens to be the reigning National Champs, and UW is coming off a turnaround season, but lose their all-world QB Jake Locker. Huskies will have to rely on Chris Polk, but D-line is EWU's strong point, and probably the position where we have the most depth, include UW transfer DT Andru Pulu (6'2, 300) in addition to AA Renard Williams. Should be a great game.

gjw007
May 17th, 2011, 05:39 PM
UND lost 23-17, but had a chance to win. We had a TD called back to the 1 inch line (turnover on downs), then we had the ball at the NIU 27 with 9 seconds left in the game but was picked off in the end zone.

It was definitely one of UND's better games last year. They couldn't keep the intensity for the rest of the year. Part of it was a young team, part of it was coaching.