PDA

View Full Version : How Many From Out West?

kalm
May 7th, 2011, 01:27 PM
EWU and MSU appear to be reloading, the Griz have too much depth and home field advantage to stay down for long, Poly is always tough and returns 18 starters, SAC and SUU have been making strides and both return talented QB's, and Weber and NAU always seem to have the talent to turn it around in a given year.

How many teams from the future BSC make the playoffs this year?

Cleets
May 7th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I'm sensing a disturbance in the force... I sense a trap

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/001/384/Atrapitis.gif

ursus arctos horribilis
May 7th, 2011, 02:03 PM
EWU and MSU appear to be reloading, the Griz have too much depth and home field advantage to stay down for long, Poly is always tough and returns 18 starters, SAC and SUU have been making strides and both return talented QB's, and Weber and NAU always seem to have the talent to turn it around in a given year.

How many teams from the future BSC make the playoffs this year?

When you consider how tough the BSC was last year and the fact EWU had as tough a go of it in conference as they had in any playoff game it looks like a real tough road for all those teams listed but someone's gonna get the autos and I'll bet there is no less than three and a good possibility of four since EWU won some great games in the playoffs last year and took down two really fantastic CAA teams in back to back fashion.

The CAA unwillingly passed the torch back to the BSC and it will be here for a long time to come.

There may be five from out West by the time this all shkes out.

Cleets
May 7th, 2011, 02:06 PM
And Ursus takes the bait...

kalm
May 7th, 2011, 02:06 PM
I'm sensing a disturbance in the force... I sense a trap

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/001/384/Atrapitis.gif

Not a bit. I think there's a chance we might see more western playoff teams than we have in quite some time.

Who do you think I'm trapping?

Screamin_Eagle174
May 7th, 2011, 02:09 PM
This should be a poll.

Also sodomy.

kalm

Oh, well if that's what you mean, I guess I am a little guilty. Now all we need is an 89hen style "one, maybe two" type post. xcoolx

ursus arctos horribilis

did i

kalm
May 7th, 2011, 02:10 PM
This should be a poll.

Also sodomy.

I'm no good at polls, I heard that's your specialty. :D

Cleets
May 7th, 2011, 02:10 PM
This thread has the stink of a Troll Bait for CA and SoCon Homers...

xshhhx shhhh there's everywhere... stay quiet 89hen is lurking around here somewhere

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2002/2311723124_e2fa3063f7.jpg

kalm
May 7th, 2011, 02:12 PM

Only if they're overly sensitive types. :D

Screamin_Eagle174
May 7th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I'm no good at polls, I heard that's your specialty. :D

No, you're confusing polls with poles.

Wait a minute...

GODDAMNIT!!!

kalm
May 7th, 2011, 02:22 PM
When you consider how tough the BSC was last year and the fact EWU had as tough a go of it in conference as they had in any playoff game it looks like a real tough road for all those teams listed but someone's gonna get the autos and I'll bet there is no less than three and a good possibility of four since EWU won some great games in the playoffs last year and took down two really fantastic CAA teams in back to back fashion.

The CAA unwillingly passed the torch back to the BSC and it will be here for a long time to come.

There may be five from out West by the time this all shkes out.

Now back to the topic. This is a real good point. Poly has a monster schedule playing two FCS games, at Missoula, and South Dakota State and EWU at home. They could be one of those 7-4, 8-3 bubble teams with the talent to win it all. I think 4 is a real good bet with an outside shot at 5.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 7th, 2011, 02:24 PM

xshhhx shhhh there's everywhere... stay quiet 89hen is lurking around here somewhere

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2002/2311723124_e2fa3063f7.jpg

Look that last line in my post is a stretch but when you consider how well SUU has played the last couple of years and the fact that CP & Montana had a bit of a down year it is a real possibility that both of teams could be in the play in round...at least.

Then out of the BSC you have EWU, MSU, UM, Weber, and a possibility with Sac St. making strides.

89hen can see the bait a mile away, I ain't trying to fool him. I know he'll have an opinion anyway.

And since you mention the SoCon...they have a real possibility of an extra team this year as well. Just saying that based on how some real life was roared back into some teams around the country there may be some really good teams left on the shelf.

citdog
May 7th, 2011, 03:35 PM
all the "big fluffy" deserves is their auto. the mighty SOUTHERN CONFEDERATE CONFERENCE deserves at least 10 bids.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 7th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I say EWU, MSU, UM, and SUU or CP will get in.

coover
May 7th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Love the thread ... keep it up, guys!

jmufan
May 7th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I can see 4 from the BSC.

darell1976
May 7th, 2011, 05:27 PM
2012 is our year!!!!!!!!!

citdog
May 7th, 2011, 05:35 PM
2012 is our year!!!!!!!!!

then 1865 was mine! y'all will be humbled and you'll DESERVE IT! xnodx

bojeta
May 7th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I think the Great West is going to be a tough conference to win this year. Davis, SUU, ND, and Poly are all looking good. SD, I'm not sure about. The winner definitely deserves an At Large, but the biggest problem I see is number of D1 wins. They all scheduled tough FBS opponents and I think they all scheduled a DII opponent. This alone could put them at the threshold. It's very possible that no team will win all four conference games. Add to that some tough OC teams from FCS to round out the schedules and you might see three or more of these teams go 7-4 and with one DII win in there. Lack of auto bid sucks in a tough conference albeit a small one! Can't wait for 2012!!!

ALPHAGRIZ1
May 7th, 2011, 08:24 PM
The Griz and thats about it..................................

slostang
May 7th, 2011, 08:32 PM
The Griz and thats about it..................................

That's what you said last year and we see how that turned out. :)

Screamin_Eagle174
May 7th, 2011, 10:10 PM
That's what you said last year and we see how that turned out. :)

The only time he was right last year was when he picked EWU to beat UD, only because he had picked against at every other turn throughout the year and was wrong, hoping to jinx us. xlolx

CrazyCat
May 7th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Speaking of prognasticating out of ones $$$. Where's SuperHornet ?

Screamin_Eagle174
May 10th, 2011, 08:11 PM
The West Coast teams are obviously superior to East Coast teams. Wouldn't be surprised to see 6 or 7 get in the playoffs. We're just that good.

Twentysix
May 10th, 2011, 08:24 PM
4 Tops. Montana's probably make it, maybe EWU. Does poly take advantage of a real conference? I think so.
3 from MVFC aswell. Hopefully both XDSU's make it from the MVFC.

Tribal
May 10th, 2011, 09:00 PM
The West Coast teams are obviously superior to East Coast teams. Wouldn't be surprised to see 6 or 7 get in the playoffs. We're just that good.

Not taking the bait...not gonna do it.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 10th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Not taking the bait...not gonna do it.

EWU: 2-0 vs. CAA.

xcoffeex

Tribal
May 10th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Okay, I am. xnodx

I'm going to assume you meant west vs east rather than "coast" since the last I checked, Montana is 3 states removed from the west coast. Since the 1970's, teams from the "east" are 27-5 in the NC. 9 of the last 13 NC were from the SoCon or CAA. All 9 teams are from states with beaches along the Atlantic Ocean (you can't get more "east" than that. Factor in WVA, Ohio and Kentucky and it's game over.

As for W&M (correct, the Tribe has won no NCs and EWU won the big game last season)...

2009 playoffs: W&M 38-0 over Weber State
Your best team that year. 38-0. And, before your "we beat UD and Nova last season"...so did William & Mary.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 10th, 2011, 09:32 PM
FISH ON!!!xlolx

Tribal
May 10th, 2011, 09:37 PM
2009: Villanova (CAA) over Montana (yours)
2008: Richmond (CAA) over Montana (yours again)
2006/2007: SoCon vs CAA = advantage SoCon
2005: ASU (east) over UNI (west)
2004: JMU (CAA) over Montana (and yours)

CAA vs yours = 3-1 in NC games since 2004. Want to factor in SoCon?

tribefan40
May 10th, 2011, 09:39 PM
2009 playoffs: W&M 38-0 over Weber State Your best team that year. 38-0. And, before your "we beat UD and Nova last season"...so did William & Mary.

Pretty sure Weber was third in the big sky that year, but we did whoop that $$$.

Tribal
May 10th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Pretty sure Weber was third in the big sky that year, but we did whoop that $$$.

Oh, you're correct. That was the year EWU got drummed in the first round. Right, Weber State and W&M finished third in their conferences. W&M scored 62 points to Weber State's and SIU's 3. Unfortunately for us, the NC that year beat us by 1 point at their place. That NC beat a team from the Big Sky for the title, I think?

Screamin_Eagle174
May 10th, 2011, 10:40 PM
FISH ON!!!xlolx

xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
May 10th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Man, now that you guys bring it up it's pretty damn amazing how much the teams from the West get there and take down teams from the East considering there are so many out that way and so few in our neck of the woods.

Christ we're actually getting a pretty high percentage of wins compared to you guys.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 10th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Oh, you're correct. That was the year EWU got drummed in the first round. Right, Weber State and W&M finished third in their conferences. W&M scored 62 points to Weber State's and SIU's 3. Unfortunately for us, the NC that year beat us by 1 point at their place. That NC beat a team from the Big Sky for the title, I think?

EWU didn't make the playoffs in 2008. And we've never been "drummed" in the first round.. we're 5-3 in our first game of the playoffs, our biggest loss coming in 2009 by 11 points to SFA. The other two were by 3 points. Weber finished 2nd in 2008, and EWU likely helped out the Tribe by deflating WSU's egos the last game of the season. You're welcome. ;)

Screamin_Eagle174
May 10th, 2011, 11:17 PM
By my count, there's about a 3-1 advantage of teams in the East vs. the West if you use the Mississippi as the dividing line.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 10th, 2011, 11:32 PM
By my count, there's about a 3-1 advantage of teams in the East vs. the West if you use the Mississippi as the dividing line.

What's the NC count? Is it about 3-1 using that same criteria?

Screamin_Eagle174
May 10th, 2011, 11:41 PM
What's the NC count? Is it about 3-1 using that same criteria?

Pretty close. West 6, East 27 = .22

That includes SIU as an East team as well, when they're virtually right on the dividing line. If you include SIU as West, then we're .27, slightly above the 1-3.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 10th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Pretty close. West 6, East 27 = .22

Well not too bad considering that the West teams have had to travel like they do. When the travel is split a little more evenly between the two you see what happens.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 11th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Well not too bad considering that the West teams have had to travel like they do. When the travel is split a little more evenly between the two you see what happens.

Also, like in my edit of my previous post, if you include SIU as West instead of East, we're slightly above the .25 mark at .27. SIU is right on the dividing line. Since Tribe included them as West, I guess so will I. ;)

I Bleed Purple
May 11th, 2011, 12:12 AM
EWU didn't make the playoffs in 2008. And we've never been "drummed" in the first round.. we're 5-3 in our first game of the playoffs, our biggest loss coming in 2009 by 11 points to SFA. The other two were by 3 points. Weber finished 2nd in 2008, and EWU likely helped out the Tribe by deflating WSU's egos the last game of the season. You're welcome. ;)

That was to keep us from the outright title and hosting UM in the second round. We beat Poly by a significant margin to sneak into the playoffs as the likely last at large. Let me check on the score for that...

Ah. 41-17.

We got bad Cameron for the W&M game. Through a pick 6 on a inside screen pass early on. W&M busted up the screen and instead of throwing it in Trevyn Smith's feet, he through it into the belly of I think a linebacker and he waltzed into the end zone. Game was over after that. That was 2009.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 11th, 2011, 12:40 AM
That was to keep us from the outright title and hosting UM in the second round. We beat Poly by a significant margin to sneak into the playoffs as the likely last at large. Let me check on the score for that...

Ah. 41-17.

We got bad Cameron for the W&M game. Through a pick 6 on a inside screen pass early on. W&M busted up the screen and instead of throwing it in Trevyn Smith's feet, he through it into the belly of I think a linebacker and he waltzed into the end zone. Game was over after that. That was 2009.

For some reason I was thinking the W&M game was in 2008, not 2009. Either way, thanks for embarrassing the conference you *****s! xlolx

I Bleed Purple
May 11th, 2011, 01:17 AM
For some reason I was thinking the W&M game was in 2008, not 2009. Either way, thanks for embarrassing the conference you *****s! xlolx

Without taking into consideration the opponent, a 10 A.M. game 3000 miles from home is not conducive to winning football.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 11th, 2011, 01:26 AM
Without taking into consideration the opponent, a 10 A.M. game 3000 miles from home is not conducive to winning football.

True that, which is my biggest gripe with ECB showboating when West teams play east, because the time change affects players more. Much easier to play a game later in the day than your body's used to instead of earlier. That said, you should've at least scored. xoopsx xcoolx

Tribal
May 11th, 2011, 05:15 PM

I see reading comprehension isn't a big deal out your way. I said "2009 playoffs." And, you were drummed. Listen, I'm a big fan of the Pacific NW and I'm glad to see a new team represent the FCS. I support my school through good and bad as I see you do, too. I'll leave it at that.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 11th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I see reading comprehension isn't a big deal out your way. I said "2009 playoffs." And, you were drummed. Listen, I'm a big fan of the Pacific NW and I'm glad to see a new team represent the FCS. I support my school through good and bad as I see you do, too. I'll leave it at that.

11 points is not "drummed." I'll let you think that though, if it'll make you feel better. I guess we "drummed" Nova then.

Tribal
May 11th, 2011, 05:23 PM

I had an opportunity to meet a few (there weren't many) Wildcats fans. Good folks. W&M had an excellent defense that year with 2 d-linemen going in the NFL draft. Weber State didn't play well but I suspect that was an anomoly. SIU was #1 in the country with the "best RB" in the entire FCS. They didn't do much better AND the game was at their place. I'm just thankful we have a playoff system that allows a 17th ranked team a shot at the NC. Maybe we'll meet in Frisco. First beer is on you. xcoolx

Tribal
May 11th, 2011, 05:32 PM
11 points is not "drummed." I'll let you think that though, if it'll make you feel better. I guess we "drummed" Nova then.

It was 44-19 with only seconds left in the 3rd. SFA let off the gas and went to prevent defense, so you scored a couple of TDs.