PDA

View Full Version : Cal Poly Loses Another Coach

TexasTerror
March 7th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Another coach has left the Cal Poly program. They are breeding quite a coaching pipeline there. The defensive coordinator is off to I-A Ohio University and going against the competition in the MAC...

Great job Cal Poly. Losing assistants but that's what comes out of a successful, well-coached program...

Another assistant coach leaves Cal Poly football program
Brian Milne
[email protected]

Cal Poly defensive coordinator David Brown has accepted an assistant coaching position at Ohio University, The Tribune has learned.

Brown, who will coach the secondary in Athens, becomes the third Mustangs assistant to leave the program in the past month.

Co-offensive coordinator Ian Shields was hired as Eastern Oregon’s new head coach Feb. 7.

Linebackers coach Jeff Hammerschmidt was hired to fill a similar position at Stanford on Feb. 27.

"It’s a bittersweet thing," Brown said. "It’s a pretty exciting opportunity, but at the same time I’m leaving home. I’ve been here, around these guys for quite a few years, and it’s hard to walk away. One of my goals when I came here was to coach in the new stadium, and now I won’t be able to do that."

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/14037707.htm

slostang
March 7th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Unfortunately that is what happens to sucessful I-AA programs. They get raided by IA programs. Cal Poly held together thier coaching staff for the first three seasons under coach Rich Ellerson. In the last three years they have lost six coaches and their strength coach. Five coaches plus the strength coach went to IA teams and the sixth went on to be a head coach at a DII program in his home state. Coach Brown will be missed and we wish him good luck at his new position.

The bright side is that they are planning to add an additional 2 or 3 years to a contract of head coach Ellerson and that would extend it to 5 or 6 year.