PDA

View Full Version : Steroids(& street drugs)usage & testing

Bub
March 6th, 2006, 11:28 AM
In the thread on the UD players being arrested it was mentioned that steroids(as well as street drugs) were stolen form the freshman walk-on. Assuming usage, how are the players using this stuff not getting caught? I thought the NCAA tested the players? Any insight?

UNH 40
March 6th, 2006, 12:40 PM
In the thread on the UD players being arrested it was mentioned that steroids(as well as street drugs) were stolen form the freshman walk-on. Assuming usage, how are the players using this stuff not getting caught? I thought the NCAA tested the players? Any insight?

The NCAA does random testing a couple of times per year. The loop hole in this system is that they only test 20 players when they do it, so if you are doing them and you get tested you are screwed but there is a 25% chance of being selected to get tested assuming there are 80 players on a team. I think they should test everyone on the team, but supposedly it costs a pretty penny to run the test. The only time when all players are supposed to be tested prior to the National Championship game.

LacesOut
March 6th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Depends when they test them also. If players are consistantly and constantly doing cycles, they will probably get caught. If he just does a cycle or two, depending on how many weeks he runs they cycles, he probably won't get caught. I'm not sure exactly how long gear stays in our systems.

UNH 40
March 6th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Depends when they test them also. If players are consistantly and constantly doing cycles, they will probably get caught. If he just does a cycle or two, depending on how many weeks he runs they cycles, he probably won't get caught. I'm not sure exactly how long gear stays in our systems.

Good point. If they do a cycle in the summer time they are probably going to be safe. Because the NCAA can't go to a school and demand to test surtain players. The unfortunate thing is that their are ways around getting caught. Another unfortunate thing is that the NFL looks past when a player gets caught. A perfect example of this is last year Castillo out of Northwestern tested positive at the combine for steroids and then was rewarded by the San Diego Chargers who picked him in the first round. I don't get that. Charactor value in a player seems to lose its worth more and more every season and I think that is an absolute shame.

Bub
March 6th, 2006, 03:21 PM
According to the news accounts linked on the other thread 18 vials of steroids were taken. Is this a large amount? Will this enable or cause the NCAA to test UD players?

LacesOut
March 7th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Bub, 18 vials ain't *****. They either had to be there for another reason, or they thought the dude they robbed had alot more gear than a measly 18 vials. Depending on the drug and the frequency rate for the injections, 18 vials could be used up in 6 weeks, 3 shots per week. One shot/inject is one vial.

Bub
March 7th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the info LO. I have no idea about this and just wondered. The questions aren't meant as anything against UD. Look at some of the players around. Steroids can and do happen anywhere.

Waiting for my truck the other day at a dealers I was reading an auto. mag. and saw ads for steroids in the back of the mag. including one where it explained it was developed for horses, but worked on people. un f ' in believable.

LacesOut
March 7th, 2006, 10:34 AM
You're welcome, Bub. And I didn't take your questions as being anything more than what it was.

Juice ads in a Auto Mag??? LOL Never seen that before.

The guys that I know from the gym who are on gear get their stuff from online sites, pharmacies from Mexico and Canada mostly. Gear is easily had, just like most drugs, imo. Go ahead and google Winstrol, see the sites that come up for that steriod.

Umass74
March 7th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Is Creatine (sp?) banned? It's available over-the-counter, but I think the NCAA banned it at one time.

MR. CHICKEN
March 7th, 2006, 11:03 AM
ACCORDIN' TUH DUH JOURNAL......DUH ALLEDGED 18 VIALS....O' ROID JUICE......HAVE NOT BEEN RECOVERED!...............................BRAWK!

Bub
March 7th, 2006, 11:11 AM
I wish creatine was banned, but it's legal. We have kids as young 13-14 yr old using that crap here. I've read the directions for that stuff it's taken on cycles too somewhat. You take it real heavy to load up then back off. I've seen kids using the liquid form like it was candy, with no regard to the directions. As far as I know there have been no studies completed on the impact its use has on teenagers. The Univ of Iowa head training coach recoomends nothing more than protein powder to replace the calories you lose when you work out hard. Even buying that one has to be careful to read the contents so there not slipping creatine in there too. From what I've seen it causes hamstring cramps which can be pretty severe, leading to tears. I never wanted my sprinter sons to get near it.

colgate13
March 7th, 2006, 01:51 PM
From what I've seen it causes hamstring cramps which can be pretty severe, leading to tears. I never wanted my sprinter sons to get near it.
I 100% believe this to be true. Creatine just came on the scene when I played and after using it for about a year or so I severely pulled (which is actually a minor tear) both of my hamstrings within weeks of each other. I had never had hamstring problems before. : smh : Bothered me all season, and they're still tighter than I remember them before it happened.

Stay away from creatine loading (it occurs naturally). Stay far, far away.

UNH 40
March 7th, 2006, 02:01 PM
I 100% believe this to be true. Creatine just came on the scene when I played and after using it for about a year or so I severely pulled (which is actually a minor tear) both of my hamstrings within weeks of each other. I had never had hamstring problems before. : smh : Bothered me all season, and they're still tighter than I remember them before it happened.

Stay away from creatine loading (it occurs naturally). Stay far, far away.

Just to chip in my two cents on what you said. Creatine causes cramping and tears because it starves the muscle of water thus making it much more susceptible to cramping and tears. The sad thing is that people now a days will do anything to make it so that they only have to put in the least amount possible of work to be bigger faster and stronger.

bandl
March 7th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Just to chip in my two cents on what you said. Creatine causes cramping and tears because it starves the muscle of water thus making it much more susceptible to cramping and tears. The sad thing is that people now a days will do anything to make it so that they only have to put in the least amount possible of work to be bigger faster and stronger.
In addition...creatine will do absolutely NOTHING for you if you just take it but don't work out or exercise, other than add on the pounds if you use the calorie/carb loaded stuff, and sap your muscles of water. It's a common myth that simply taking creatine will volumize your muscles. No...what creatine does is give you that explosiveness at the end of a set so you can do a few more reps, or so you can sprint that last 100 yards that you wouldn't normally be able to do when running a mile, or so you can play the last 5 minutes of a basketball game at full capacity instead of being winded like everyone else on the court, etc etc etc. So in the end, if you use it strictly while lifting weights, it will volumize your muscles, but not in the same way that steroids do.
I've used creatine on and off for about 8 years, but for one reason only, and that's to last longer when playing sports, not to get bigger muscles or anything like that. I excercise alot, 5 or 6 days a week, or 12-15 hours...basketball, softball, racquetball, lacrosse, running, lifting weights a few days a week at the gym, rock climbing, etc. My health is very important to me. I don't like being the chump in the lacrosse game that can't run down the field at the end of the game when the clock is nearing zero and my team needs my stick to score...creatine allows me to give that extra effort.

Creatine, if used correctly, can be very beneficial. Unfortunately, most people that I have talked to about creatine just don't know anything about it. True, it can be abused and harm the user, but that's only when used incorrectly.

:twocents:

Cap'n Cat
March 7th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Ahhhhhhhh.

Just rememberin' the old days when they didn't test and we'd pop a handful of Decadurabolin, take a couple shots of Winstrol V, go work out with the team, then go out that night, drink our tails off and end the night pulling bongs with the defensive line and wolfing down four pizzas.

Those were the days.................

Lehigh Football Nation
March 7th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Just to chip in my two cents on what you said. Creatine causes cramping and tears ...

Capn'? Insert joke here....

:lmao:

One serious note to what's been said. I do believe that creatine is a banned substance in I-AA athletics. I say this because 3-4 years ago one of our kickers had to give up his final year of eligibility for taking an over-the-counter dietary supplement which had a banned substance in it (which I believe was creatine).

It's probably Homer talking here, but it seemed like losing his final year of eligibility was probably a bit harsh for making an honest mistake - especially since I'm sure that other Division I athletes are probably juiced up and not facing any fines, while our kicker, who appeared to just make an honest mistake, reported his violation to the proper NCAA authorities who then applied the law.

Anyway, the upshot is, I beleive creatine is a banned substance in NCAA athletics, including football.

Bub
March 7th, 2006, 03:40 PM
I'm no chemist, here's the link to the NCAA banned substances list: judge for yourself.

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/ed_outreach/health-safety/drug_testing/banned_drug_classes.pdf

Cap'n Cat
March 7th, 2006, 04:09 PM
I'm no chemist, here's the link to the NCAA banned substances list: judge for yourself.

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/ed_outreach/health-safety/drug_testing/banned_drug_classes.pdf

Bub,
My worst steroid scare occurred at Drake in 1985, a game we lost, you remember, of course. :rolleyes:

Had been 'roiding rather heavily since before spring practice in '85. Gained some weight, strength went through the roof. Got to the Drake game that September and it was ungodly HOT. Played over 100 snaps in that game and lost twenty pounds. After the game, I kinda went into shock and thought I was gonna die. I had two IV's putting fluids back in my body and I was seeing wierd patterns before my eyes and almost fainting. I was convinced it was the 'roids, so I stopped them immediately and went from about 300 lbs to 255 in about five weeks. Hurt my chances to get drafted, I know, because the scouts who came to see me said they liked how I played, but I was too light now.

After the season, I went back on them for a good period of time and got most of the strength and weight back, but it was too late for the draft. Ended up being a free agent.

I discovered later on, when I was trying to make the Saints that using steroids was truly cheating. Lots of guys were shooting up at camp and had unhuman bench presses (for back then) of 525 and 565, etc., but they didn't have the natural talent I did. The most I ever benched was 405 at New Orleans. Still, because they were buffed up more than I was, did astronomically more 'roids then I did, and had these high bench numbers, they were preferred.

It is definitely cheating.

WMTribe90
March 7th, 2006, 06:29 PM
WM's strength coach was high on creatine when it first came out. After loosing several players during summer workouts and preseason due to dehydaration, muscle spasms and hamstring tears he did a 180 and banned creatine a year later. I tried it briefly for two weeks during one summer. Can't say I noticed any benefits. To echo wahts already been said. Creatine is produced by the body and is a form of readily available energy. It is not a hormone and does not make you stronger by itself. It only supposed to give you more energy, so you can work out longer. It will dehydrate you. It pulls water into the muscle cells, thus giving the illusion of rapid muscle gain (its actually water retention). No way HS kids should be using creatine. I wouldn't recommend it for college athletes either. Downside far outweigh limited benefits IMO. To my knowledge it is not banned by the NCAA.

As for steroids, I can only speak for WM. Of the 200 plus players I knew personally at WM, to my knowledge only two ever used steroids. Both were from the same HS, which had a reputation for steroid abuse. One never saw the field. He was stiff and slow to begin with and the steroid use only exaserbated his shortcomings. The second was plenty strong without them. He was tested by the NCAA and ended up missing an entire year of eligibilty. To sum it up, 2 players out of 200 plus and neither profited from their abuse. I hope the presence of steroids in the UD's player apartment is also an isolated case and does not indicate systemic abuse within the program.

Steroid abuse really pisses me off. It is cheating plain and simple. I also hated having me hard work tainted by others abuses. People begin to suspect most players because a few try to cut corners.

colgate13
March 7th, 2006, 09:11 PM
One serious note to what's been said. I do believe that creatine is a banned substance in I-AA athletics. I say this because 3-4 years ago one of our kickers had to give up his final year of eligibility for taking an over-the-counter dietary supplement which had a banned substance in it (which I believe was creatine).

Anyway, the upshot is, I beleive creatine is a banned substance in NCAA athletics, including football.

You're thinking of ephedrine. Used to be real popular in all sorts of things until kids starting having heart attacks.

Creatine isn't banned, but I think we're all the wiser about it now.

UNH 40
March 7th, 2006, 09:34 PM
You're thinking of ephedrine. Used to be real popular in all sorts of things until kids starting having heart attacks.

Good call by you, Lehigh Football Nation was incorrect. Creatine is not a banned supplement, he was thinking of ephedrine. Why isn't it banned? Because it is natural, beef products contain it and venicin has the highest percentage, but too much of it is bad for your muscle hence all the muscle strains and cramping. If used in moderation it can be benefitial, but it does nothing more for you than workout hard, and having a good diet would do. Also what are the long term affects of pumping your body full of this stuff? nobody know because it has only been around for a short amount of time.

WMTribe90
March 7th, 2006, 09:39 PM
I have heard prolonged use could damage your bodies ability to produce its own creatine naturally. I'm not sure this claim is confirmed, but its clear we don't know what the long term effects of this supplement are in the long term, even when used in the correct dosage.

UNH 40
March 7th, 2006, 09:48 PM
steroid abuse really pisses me off. It is cheating plain and simple. I also hated having me hard work tainted by others abuses. People begin to suspect most players because a few try to cut corners.

Couldn't agree with you more. It drives me nuts. Do people who take them and accomplish great things say to themselves "Wow look what I was able to do." They had nothing to do with it in reality, it was all fake. I think its pathetic.

colgate13
March 8th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Couldn't agree with you more. It drives me nuts. Do people who take them and accomplish great things say to themselves "Wow look what I was able to do." They had nothing to do with it in reality, it was all fake. I think its pathetic.

They also die young(er) and have more injuries.

UNH 40
March 8th, 2006, 07:07 AM
They also die young(er) and have more injuries.

You reap what you sow.

bandl
March 8th, 2006, 07:31 AM
WM's strength coach was high on creatine when it first came out. After loosing several players during summer workouts and preseason due to dehydaration, muscle spasms and hamstring tears he did a 180 and banned creatine a year later. I tried it briefly for two weeks during one summer. Can't say I noticed any benefits. To echo wahts already been said. Creatine is produced by the body and is a form of readily available energy. It is not a hormone and does not make you stronger by itself. It only supposed to give you more energy, so you can work out longer. It will dehydrate you. It pulls water into the muscle cells, thus giving the illusion of rapid muscle gain (its actually water retention). No way HS kids should be using creatine. I wouldn't recommend it for college athletes either. Downside far outweigh limited benefits IMO. To my knowledge it is not banned by the NCAA.

As I said before, creatine can be very beneficial IF used correctly. Unfortunately, most people don't know how to use it and some people find that out the hard way, i.e. injuries. I was lucky by the fact that when I first bought the stuff at GNC the owner of the store told me to read and follow the directions carefully and then, I'll never forget this, said "drink twice as much water as the directions call for....trust me. And take time off every once in a while, don't make your body become dependent on this stuff that is already naturally occuring in your body." I've been using creatine off and on for 8 years and never once had an injury (except for broken ribs and bruises, which I'm fairly certain aren't the result of creatine!). As far as volumizing...as soon as I notice my body getting unnaturally large...I stop using creatine immediately, for at least a couple months. Like I said, I use it for longevity in competitive sports and other forms of exercise...that's it.

I definitely agree that HS kids should not be using creatine...their bodies aren't fully developed yet, and most of them simply don't have the common sense and know-how to use it correctly.

Bub
March 8th, 2006, 08:41 AM
One of the incidious ways creatine pulls HS kids in, is they like the way it puffs them up. Of course unlike Bandl, they aren't following the prescribed regimine in the first place and don't back off when this artificial puffing up occurs. Coaches feed into this by complimenting how hard the creatine kids must be working, just look at them, and therefore by comparsion the non creatine kids must not be working hard. The coaches then wonder why the creatine kids are cramping up in games. By cramping I don't mean a tight calf, I mean both legs stiff as a board and the kid can't bend them enough to walk. Our school passes out a creatine info sheet, but I don't thinks it's enough. Hell, a couple of years ago you could buy andro at GNC and we now know the body converts it into steroid. Just cause you can buy it legally doen't make it okay for you.

bisonguy
March 8th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Hell, a couple of years ago you could buy andro at GNC and we now know the body converts it into steroid. Just cause you can buy it legally doen't make it okay for you.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Huh? The only studies that I've seen on andro that were not sponsored by the supplement companies showed andro to be a scam. Absolutely no increases in test levels, but it did manage to increase estrogen levels. None of the benefits of anabolic steroids and all the side effects, including gynecomostia. Andro is well known as the greatest snakeoil ever to hit the supplement industry.

Rabbit3467
March 8th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Andro is not something that males want to take. Andro is actually short for androstenedione which is a precurser to testosterone, so it was thought that taking andro would make the body produce more testosterone, in effect allowing for increasing muscle strength. But if you read up on the scientific studies on andro, it actually doesnt increase testosterone, it increases ESTROGEN in men up to like 90%. So in effect men are actually feminizing themselves by taking andro.:nod: :nod: :nod:

blukeys
March 8th, 2006, 04:36 PM

Ephedrine will never help a football player wishing to bulk up. It is a vaso-dilator that is prescribed to asthmatics for the express purpose of mitigating the effects of asthma attacks. I have thaken Epehdrine for it's prescribed purpose and it is very effective. It can be and in my experience has been a life saver. It also has the effect of increasing the capacity of the lungs of non asthmatics to take in oxygen especially distance athletes and swimmers.

About 8 years ago 90% of the world class distance runners were diagnosed as asthmatic so that they could take ephedrine. World class cyclists were also in this category. For Asthmatics ephedrine was legal in these events. Whenever ephedrine is banned, the percentage of asthmatics in endurance sports drops precipitously. Ephidrine is being banned everywhere. In fact the drug is useful for true asthmatics but it's abuse by others caused the ban.

Ephedrine is not a drug that will be abused by football players wishing to bulk up although it is banned in Olympic and many circles.

Bub
March 8th, 2006, 06:46 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Huh? The only studies that I've seen on andro that were not sponsored by the supplement companies showed andro to be a scam. Absolutely no increases in test levels, but it did manage to increase estrogen levels. None of the benefits of anabolic steroids and all the side effects, including gynecomostia. Andro is well known as the greatest snakeoil ever to hit the supplement industry.

The conclusion of the FDA's White Paper on andro:
Conclusion:
As stated above, if taken in sufficient doses, andro products will have anabolic effects. Those taking sufficient quantities of these prohormones to effect anabolism (the goal of the athlete in training) are by definition at risk for androgenic (anabolic steroids are androgenic, both effects being mediated through the androgen receptor) as well as estrogenic effects, all as a result of metabolic conversion of the precursor hormones to active sex steroids. However, even some of those not taking sufficient quantities for sufficient durations to provide obvious performance enhancement or muscle growth may still be at risk for adverse effects of androgen and/or estrogen excess, regardless of age or gender.

###

Here's a link to the FDA's take on andro:

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/androqa.html

seems we can both be right.:)

Fordham
March 8th, 2006, 07:39 PM
I think they should test everyone on the team, but supposedly it costs a pretty penny to run the test. The only time when all players are supposed to be tested prior to the National Championship game.

It's truly absurd with all of the money they make that the NCAA doesn't pony up and require this of all players at all levels. For health reasons, fairness reasons, keeping riff raff away from the game reasons ... it all makes sense.

Bub
March 8th, 2006, 08:09 PM
It's truly absurd with all of the money they make that the NCAA doesn't pony up and require this of all players at all levels. For health reasons, fairness reasons, keeping riff raff away from the game reasons ... it all makes sense.

Agree, test them at the beginning of the season and mid way through winter work outs.